This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Adam Larsson - potential contract extensionPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784602]
Sat, 08 May 2021 18:51 Go to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

Elliotte Friedman said on HNIC that the Oilers and Adam Larsson have made progress on a 4 year contract extension. Nothing will be finalized until after the playoffs (and for the love of god, hopefully the expansion draft).

Hopefully its for the same as he is making now. I don't really see how you can give him a raise.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784605 is a reply to message #784602 ]
Sat, 08 May 2021 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

If it starts with a 3 I would be really happy even at 4 hes a good dman

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784694 is a reply to message #784602 ]
Sat, 08 May 2021 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sat, 08 May 2021 18:51

Elliotte Friedman said on HNIC that the Oilers and Adam Larsson have made progress on a 4 year contract extension. Nothing will be finalized until after the playoffs (and for the love of god, hopefully the expansion draft).

Hopefully its for the same as he is making now. I don't really see how you can give him a raise.

Four years is just a bad idea on an aging defenceman who's had back issues and some inconsistent play. This does make me worry that Ken Holland agrees with David Staples and John Shannon that Larsson is his top UFA priority. (He should not be).

It would be extra stupid if the Oilers sign Larsson ahead of the expansion draft...I hope that Holland understands that at least.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784727 is a reply to message #784694 ]
Sun, 09 May 2021 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 08 May 2021 21:41

Four years is just a bad idea on an aging defenceman who's had back issues and some inconsistent play. This does make me worry that Ken Holland agrees with David Staples and John Shannon that Larsson is his top UFA priority. (He should not be).

It would be extra stupid if the Oilers sign Larsson ahead of the expansion draft...I hope that Holland understands that at least.

July 21st expansion draft
July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

Nuge, Larsson, Barrie, Smith, Kulikov, Haas, Nygard are all UFAs.

That week is going to be insane.

Seattle could potentially snag a younger player like Jones, and the pluck some free agent combo of Nuge, Larsson, Barrie without giving up anything either.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2021 17:56]

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784728 is a reply to message #784727 ]
Sun, 09 May 2021 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 09 May 2021 17:51

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

Seattle could potentially snag a younger player like Jones, and the pluck some free agent combo of Nuge, Larsson, Barrie without giving up anything either.

Apparently there’s a short window ahead of the draft for Seattle to talk to UFAs. If they sign one of ours, then we don’t lose another player. Maybe Barrie goes to the Kraken and we keep everyone else?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784733 is a reply to message #784728 ]
Mon, 10 May 2021 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 09 May 2021 19:11

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

Apparently there’s a short window ahead of the draft for Seattle to talk to UFAs. If they sign one of ours, then we don’t lose another player. Maybe Barrie goes to the Kraken and we keep everyone else?

If I am the Kraken, I would be all over Barrie. He might score 50 pts in 56 games, that is an over 70 pt pace in 82 and is going to be looking for a pretty decent raise. He gambled on himself to sign with the Oilers and it was clearly the right move. I don't think he get as much as he would normally if there was no flat cap but I think he could get the 6.5 Krug got last year. He wasn't getting that last year. I know his numbers are inflated a little with the Oilers but still teams pay for points and that's a hell of a lot of pts. He's from Victoria so it would be closer to home and I just don't think the Oilers can sign him.

I don't see any player the Oilers could have available with the potential immediate impact for the next 2-3 years as Barrie. He will be 30 in July so he will have at least 2-3 yrs of premium hockey left in him for sure.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784736 is a reply to message #784733 ]
Mon, 10 May 2021 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 08:16

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

If I am the Kraken, I would be all over Barrie. He might score 50 pts in 56 games, that is an over 70 pt pace in 82 and is going to be looking for a pretty decent raise. He gambled on himself to sign with the Oilers and it was clearly the right move. I don't think he get as much as he would normally if there was no flat cap but I think he could get the 6.5 Krug got last year. He wasn't getting that last year. I know his numbers are inflated a little with the Oilers but still teams pay for points and that's a hell of a lot of pts. He's from Victoria so it would be closer to home and I just don't think the Oilers can sign him.

I don't see any player the Oilers could have available with the potential immediate impact for the next 2-3 years as Barrie. He will be 30 in July so he will have at least 2-3 yrs of premium hockey left in him for sure.

Francis would do well to make a decent offer there. They just won't have a lot of players you can market around. Barrie may be one as he can put up some points. Question for Barrie will be what's important to him. If he joins the Kraken, he can get a prime role, and potentially top out his dollars and term. However, he won't be able to assess their proximity to a championship because they won't have any players yet at that point.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784737 is a reply to message #784736 ]
Mon, 10 May 2021 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 08:42

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

Francis would do well to make a decent offer there. They just won't have a lot of players you can market around. Barrie may be one as he can put up some points. Question for Barrie will be what's important to him. If he joins the Kraken, he can get a prime role, and potentially top out his dollars and term. However, he won't be able to assess their proximity to a championship because they won't have any players yet at that point.

I am sure the pipe dream for the Kraken is Vegas and their immediate success. I just don't see that happening again. There were some GM's who did some shockingly dumb things. I know GM's don't always do the right thing but I just don't see them doing as many mistakes this time around. Florida gifted Vegas 2 top 6 guys as an example. I do think GM's will be more prepared taking the Vegas expansion as a lesson and just accept you lose a guy and move on from it.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784749 is a reply to message #784736 ]
Mon, 10 May 2021 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 07:42

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

Just thinking out loud here.... I wonder if there's a way to re-sign Barrie ahead of expansion (no NMC), and expose him, allowing Seattle to snag him? If the plan is to go Larss/Bear/Bouch next season, then why not use Barrie as a decoy to prevent losing someone else? Worst case scenario, Seattle takes someone else anyway and we could look to trade Barrie in the summer.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784751 is a reply to message #784749 ]
Mon, 10 May 2021 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 10:43

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

Just thinking out loud here.... I wonder if there's a way to re-sign Barrie ahead of expansion (no NMC), and expose him, allowing Seattle to snag him? If the plan is to go Larss/Bear/Bouch next season, then why not use Barrie as a decoy to prevent losing someone else? Worst case scenario, Seattle takes someone else anyway and we could look to trade Barrie in the summer.

If you're Barrie or his agent though, if you're signing in Edmonton, it is likely because you want to be in Edmonton. Chances are good he's going to be able to get a NMC from whoever signs him on the next deal, and he's not going to want to commit to a team ahead of testing the market, possibly leaving some money on the table, and then also leaving it open-ended that he could end up in Seattle or somewhere else.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784756 is a reply to message #784751 ]
Mon, 10 May 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 10:20

jds308 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 10:43

July 23–24th entry draft
July 28th free agency

If you're Barrie or his agent though, if you're signing in Edmonton, it is likely because you want to be in Edmonton. Chances are good he's going to be able to get a NMC from whoever signs him on the next deal, and he's not going to want to commit to a team ahead of testing the market, possibly leaving some money on the table, and then also leaving it open-ended that he could end up in Seattle or somewhere else.

Yeah, I think you would have to be transparent with Barrie about the plan, and ultimately it probably doesn't work for all parties involved. Just trying to think of some creative ways to manage our assets.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784859 is a reply to message #784751 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Mon, 10 May 2021 11:20

I think Barrie would leave a decent chunk of money on the table to sign with the Oilers. We're really going to see how much the franchise sees in Bouchard based on what happens with Barrie.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784861 is a reply to message #784602 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

The more I think about this, the more uncertain I am about a four-year deal to Larsson. Five months ago, no one wanted to sign him after the awful year he had last year. We know he has had some injury problems, and his abrasive style may have some miles on his body.

He's done really well this year. But I have little confidence that he maintains this through the term of the contract, and I'm not sure he doesn't revert back to the defenseman he was last year (which would not be a Top-6 on this team moving forward).

I'm not sure. He's bringing something right now that the Oilers don't have, but over the course of four years, it's a lot more dicey than I think many in the Oilers media or management really talk about.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784865 is a reply to message #784861 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think Larsson is an important dman to bring back. When you have Bear, Bouchard, maybe Jones all on your defense next year. Broberg might not be far out. Samorukov might be close. That is a ton of youth, you need some steady vets back there. I also thinking having a guy of his style is important. You still need guys who defend well, are tough, hit a guy. People can disagree with me but the playoffs is completely different hockey so you can't have all your dmen as no touch guys. So I think they need to keep him and by how they talk about him, the team sees him as a pretty important guy.

I do have some concerns about a 4 yr deal but he's not even 29 yet so if it does end up being a 4 yr deal, he's done when he is 33. So that shouldn't mean he's done like is he was 32 already signing a deal.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784869 is a reply to message #784865 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 12:47

I think Larsson is an important dman to bring back. When you have Bear, Bouchard, maybe Jones all on your defense next year. Broberg might not be far out. Samorukov might be close. That is a ton of youth, you need some steady vets back there. I also thinking having a guy of his style is important. You still need guys who defend well, are tough, hit a guy. People can disagree with me but the playoffs is completely different hockey so you can't have all your dmen as no touch guys. So I think they need to keep him and by how they talk about him, the team sees him as a pretty important guy.

I do have some concerns about a 4 yr deal but he's not even 29 yet so if it does end up being a 4 yr deal, he's done when he is 33. So that shouldn't mean he's done like is he was 32 already signing a deal.

We are already regretting the Kassian deal, signed at a similar age.

I think Larsson is decent, but is likely to decline over his next deal. Shorter is better. Oh and absolutely no NMC or NTC clauses.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784872 is a reply to message #784869 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 13:35

I think Larsson is decent, but is likely to decline over his next deal. Shorter is better. Oh and absolutely no NMC or NTC clauses.

Good point but Kassian was playing with top end guys to help his numbers. Who's Larsson playing with to inflate his play? Lagesson, Jones, Russell have all been his partner for most of the season. Kulikov lately. No world beaters there.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784877 is a reply to message #784872 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 14:08

Good point but Kassian was playing with top end guys to help his numbers. Who's Larsson playing with to inflate his play? Lagesson, Jones, Russell have all been his partner for most of the season. Kulikov lately. No world beaters there.

I agree. But 3 goals, 6 assists, +1 doesn't look amazing to me. Not bad, don't get me wrong. But certainly replaceable. Larsson should want to get money and term. Holland shouldn't overpay for a defensive dman. They can be had for a 4th round pick at the trade deadline (Kulikov). I'd let him go to free agency to avoid having to protect, then invite him back on a short term deal. 2 years ideally, 3 at max. And if he goes to Seattle or somewhere else then we wish him well.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784879 is a reply to message #784877 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 14:48

I agree. But 3 goals, 6 assists, +1 doesn't look amazing to me. Not bad, don't get me wrong. But certainly replaceable. Larsson should want to get money and term. Holland shouldn't overpay for a defensive dman. They can be had for a 4th round pick at the trade deadline (Kulikov). I'd let him go to free agency to avoid having to protect, then invite him back on a short term deal. 2 years ideally, 3 at max. And if he goes to Seattle or somewhere else then we wish him well.

Interesting thought that maybe re-signing Kulikov is the play to make instead of re-signing Larsson.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784880 is a reply to message #784879 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 15:05

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 14:48

Interesting thought that maybe re-signing Kulikov is the play to make instead of re-signing Larsson.

I definitely agree that there is a price point you don't want to go past for Larsson even though I do think he's pretty important to the team and not every dman needs to put up points. I think Nurse will continue to score around 40 pts. Bouchard will score so I think they will have enough scoring. So I would like to see them resign Larsson but not at all costs.

For Kulikov, if he shows well, I'd be interested in resigning him. I think they will need a left shot guy that can play in the top 4 as I do not see Jones in that spot next year because so far nothing he has done shows me he's capable of being a top 4 guy yet. I think he's had a pretty disappointing season. I see him on the 3rd pairing next year.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784887 is a reply to message #784602 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

From Friedman's 31 thoughts this week.

Quote:

Edmonton GM Ken Holland will now wait until the end of the season to handle all contract matters, but the Oilers made legit progress with Adam Larsson. Sounds like four years is on the table; there’s optimism it will eventually get done.

Yikes. Just yikes. 4 years for players like Adam Larsson and Zack Kassian. It's madness.

On the right side, Bear and hopefully Bouchard (or re-signed Barrie) are ahead on the depth chart. Nurse needs a new deal after next season. A healthy Klefbom is also ahead of Larsson.

This is textbook Ken Holland getting the 5th most important defenseman locked up for a long time.

Connor and Leon are going to have to win in spite of management.

Clean house or bust

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784889 is a reply to message #784887 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 16:06

Quote:

Edmonton GM Ken Holland will now wait until the end of the season to handle all contract matters, but the Oilers made legit progress with Adam Larsson. Sounds like four years is on the table; there’s optimism it will eventually get done.

Yikes. Just yikes. 4 years for players like Adam Larsson and Zack Kassian. It's madness.

On the right side, Bear and hopefully Bouchard (or re-signed Barrie) are ahead on the depth chart. Nurse needs a new deal after next season. A healthy Klefbom is also ahead of Larsson.

This is textbook Ken Holland getting the 5th most important defenseman locked up for a long time.

5th most important dman? Do you actually watch Oilers games or are you just a Flames can coming to stir the pot? Otherwise you are literally calling Larsson a 3rd pairing guy which is so completely ridiculous.

The Oilers defense today is Nurse- Barrie, Kulikov - Larsson, Jones -Bear. That's who plays.

I have Nurse. Then a coin flip between Barrie or Larsson. At worse Larsson is #3. Who do you have?

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784891 is a reply to message #784889 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 15:50

Do you actually watch Oilers games or are you just a Flames can coming to stir the pot?

Lol, been here longer than you my friend.

I did list four defenseman that I think are more important than Larsson for the next 4 years, so feel free to read that.

Clean house or bust

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784895 is a reply to message #784891 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 16:57

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 15:50

Do you actually watch Oilers games or are you just a Flames can coming to stir the pot?

Lol, been here longer than you my friend.

I did list four defenseman that I think are more important than Larsson for the next 4 years, so feel free to read that.

You lost me at Klefbom because if you are making roster decisions based on a guy who there is a real good chance he won't ever play again, then I think that's pretty foolish.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784919 is a reply to message #784887 ]
Tue, 11 May 2021 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Quote:

Agreed with this. Bear is better than Larsson already. Larsson is limited in what he can do, because he isn't a very good puck-mover and he relies a lot on his defence partner to advance the puck. His usage for a lot of this year is something I dislike seeing from Tippett, because when he plays with guys like Russell, they are in a never-ending cycle of dump it out and then defend again.

Bouchard - it's too early to tell, but I think he could quickly surpass Larsson, especially if you go out more than one year. You really have to hope he does - because he's the great white hope for Oilers RD.

I do think Klefbom is miles ahead of Larsson in importance - if we lost one of the two to Seattle, I'd much rather see #6 go. I believe the winds are blowing towards a successful return for Klefbom - and while he's likely to have some rust on him, he's still an important player and could really solidify our LD side. I am still pretty worried he ends up in Seattle, because if he is unprotected, he's worth the gamble for them versus the leftovers we're offering them up otherwise. Unlike Matheson, I don't think there's a hope in hell that Seattle takes Josh Archibald - and if they do, I'm rejoicing.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784926 is a reply to message #784919 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 11 May 2021 21:59

Quote:

Agreed with this. Bear is better than Larsson already. Larsson is limited in what he can do, because he isn't a very good puck-mover and he relies a lot on his defence partner to advance the puck. His usage for a lot of this year is something I dislike seeing from Tippett, because when he plays with guys like Russell, they are in a never-ending cycle of dump it out and then defend again.

Bouchard - it's too early to tell, but I think he could quickly surpass Larsson, especially if you go out more than one year. You really have to hope he does - because he's the great white hope for Oilers RD.

I do think Klefbom is miles ahead of Larsson in importance - if we lost one of the two to Seattle, I'd much rather see #6 go. I believe the winds are blowing towards a successful return for Klefbom - and while he's likely to have some rust on him, he's still an important player and could really solidify our LD side. I am still pretty worried he ends up in Seattle, because if he is unprotected, he's worth the gamble for them versus the leftovers we're offering them up otherwise. Unlike Matheson, I don't think there's a hope in hell that Seattle takes Josh Archibald - and if they do, I'm rejoicing.

Another guy who I think is living in a dream world assuming Klefbom is coming back totally healthy and is just going to step right in as if nothing every happened and won't be a shadow of his former self.

My prediction is he won't come back because after he has recovered from his surgery, the docs won't be able to say for sure if it won't come back. I bet it will probably be 50-50. It's not a torn something, where you fix it and it's good as new. It's arthritis which is inflammation of a joint that often gets flared up with over use or trauma like say getting rammed into the boards dozens of times a game. There is no cure for arthritis. Nothing about what Klefbom has said has been "pain be damn, I'm coming back no matter what". IF he does come back, the first sign of anything wrong, he's going to pull himself out and maybe retire. If he does play, there is in my opinion, ZERO chance he will be the same dman because he will be favoring that arm to protect it. So I think it would be crazy for the team to prioritize Klefbom when there is a very real chance at best he will be a part time player and who if he doesn't retire all together, will probably be out of the NHL after his contract is up because he will want to play a less demanding, less physical brand of hockey for health reasons.

If my predictions comes true and he doesn't come back, I could see him retiring from the NHL, taking another year off to train and have more healing time, then he will resurface in Sweden playing on his old team of Färjestad being a good dman in that league that plays less games and is way, way less physically demanding.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784929 is a reply to message #784926 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 08:29

Quote:

Another guy who I think is living in a dream world assuming Klefbom is coming back totally healthy and is just going to step right in as if nothing every happened and won't be a shadow of his former self.

My prediction is he won't come back because after he has recovered from his surgery, the docs won't be able to say for sure if it won't come back. I bet it will probably be 50-50. It's not a torn something, where you fix it and it's good as new. It's arthritis which is inflammation of a joint that often gets flared up with over use or trauma like say getting rammed into the boards dozens of times a game. There is no cure for arthritis. Nothing about what Klefbom has said has been "pain be damn, I'm coming back no matter what". IF he does come back, the first sign of anything wrong, he's going to pull himself out and maybe retire. If he does play, there is in my opinion, ZERO chance he will be the same dman because he will be favoring that arm to protect it. So I think it would be crazy for the team to prioritize Klefbom when there is a very real chance at best he will be a part time player and who if he doesn't retire all together, will probably be out of the NHL after his contract is up because he will want to play a less demanding, less physical brand of hockey for health reasons.

If my predictions comes true and he doesn't come back, I could see him retiring from the NHL, taking another year off to train and have more healing time, then he will resurface in Sweden playing on his old team of Färjestad being a good dman in that league that plays less games and is way, way less physically demanding.

https://drspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/internetdoctor.png

The Oilers have better intel on this than either of us do, but if they don't think he's got a great chance of returning, they won't have to protect him because they should be lobbying the NHL to make him exempt. We haven't seen much lobbying yet.

I do think that the joyful pronouncements of really successful surgery were genuine, and reading those tea leaves, that the team does think he's going to return.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784933 is a reply to message #784929 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 08:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 08:29

Quote:

https://drspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/internetdoctor.png

The Oilers have better intel on this than either of us do, but if they don't think he's got a great chance of returning, they won't have to protect him because they should be lobbying the NHL to make him exempt. We haven't seen much lobbying yet.

I do think that the joyful pronouncements of really successful surgery were genuine, and reading those tea leaves, that the team does think he's going to return.

Never said I was a doc, just my prediction.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784931 is a reply to message #784602 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Just throwing this out there for fun :)

JFresh @JFreshHockey·

Top defensive defencemen this season by even strength defence Wins Above Replacement:

Some big minutes guys mixed with some low-event depth kings

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0oWCZnXMAA463W?format=jpg&name=small

JFresh @JFreshHockey

Worst defencemen defensively this season by even strength Wins Above Replacement:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E0oWoPxWQAMYux_?format=jpg&name=small

How is this stuff calculated? I have no idea haha. The main guy that made it seems to try to track quality of competition and quality of teammates pretty hard. So, I'm guessing these stats are giving lots of credit to players that don't play with good quality teammates and also play against tough competition and still manage to survive. Or they suck when they don't play with quality teammates and/or play against weak competition for the 2nd chart. Likely takes into account PK time as well.

I think Larsson definitely had a good season this year defensively. Of course you have to guess if he can keep it up for 4 years if you're tossing him a long term contract. Seems unlikely with his on and off periods of back injuries.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2021 08:57]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784964 is a reply to message #784602 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I have a lot of time for a Dman like Larsson. I love the physical element he brings. Nasty. He knows his role and does not deviate from it.

That all said.....4 years with a bad back, coming off a bad couple seasons in a poor market with a flat cap? No thank you. 2 years would be the hill I died on if I was Holland. Larsson would not be a first day UFA signing by another team. He will get attention, but he will not be a team's number one offseason signing and if he is, they are screwed.

Larsson is important and has a needed role on this team, but no need to give him an team anchor term contract. He's more Igor Ulanov than Jason Smith. I may be delusional, but I see Bear as our future over anyone currently in our top 6. Build around Bear, Nurse and Bouchard. Hopefully Klefbom comes back. Let the prospects fight for a NHL job with some cheap journeymen.

In two years Larsson will hopefully pushed down the depth chart and if he is still serviceable then start looking at looking at another short term deal.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784965 is a reply to message #784964 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 12:11

I have a lot of time for a Dman like Larsson. I love the physical element he brings. Nasty. He knows his role and does not deviate from it.

That all said.....4 years with a bad back, coming off a bad couple seasons in a poor market with a flat cap? No thank you. 2 years would be the hill I died on if I was Holland. Larsson would not be a first day UFA signing by another team. He will get attention, but he will not be a team's number one offseason signing and if he is, they are screwed.

Larsson is important and has a needed role on this team, but no need to give him an team anchor term contract. He's more Igor Ulanov than Jason Smith. I may be delusional, but I see Bear as our future over anyone currently in our top 6. Build around Bear, Nurse and Bouchard. Hopefully Klefbom comes back. Let the prospects fight for a NHL job with some cheap journeymen.

In two years Larsson will hopefully pushed down the depth chart and if he is still serviceable then start looking at looking at another short term deal.

I like Bear a lot but I don't see him any higher than a #4 which is not a knock, I am fine with that. I think he will be a decent defender but I do not think he will ever be a good enough defender to go higher. I think his size plays into that a bit. I also do not think his offense will be enough to elevate him higher than #4. He might flirt with 30 pts but I think that's it.

I am not trying to come off as negative. If he's an OK skating, decent puck moving, decent defending, #4 dman that can score 25-30 pts, that can give you 18-20 solid mins, I will take that all day long.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784967 is a reply to message #784965 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 11:33

I like Bear a lot but I don't see him any higher than a #4 which is not a knock, I am fine with that. I think he will be a decent defender but I do not think he will ever be a good enough defender to go higher. I think his size plays into that a bit. I also do not think his offense will be enough to elevate him higher than #4. He might flirt with 30 pts but I think that's it.

I am not trying to come off as negative. If he's an OK skating, decent puck moving, decent defending, #4 dman that can score 25-30 pts, that can give you 18-20 solid mins, I will take that all day long.

Larsson is a good defensive Dman that can shift anywhere in your top four depending on who he's paired with.

Bear is a good offsensive Dman that is ideally on your 2nd pair behind Barrie and Nurse. I'd only worry about over exposing him against other team's top lines on the first pair.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784977 is a reply to message #784967 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 12:42

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 11:33

Larsson is a good defensive Dman that can shift anywhere in your top four depending on who he's paired with.

Bear is a good offsensive Dman that is ideally on your 2nd pair behind Barrie and Nurse. I'd only worry about over exposing him against other team's top lines on the first pair.

Bear's skating and his hockey sense are improving. I think the only thing that will hold him back from developing further will be his work ethic. Does he have that inner drive to separate himself from a good NHL'er to a great NHL'er?

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #784983 is a reply to message #784977 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 14:20

Bear's skating and his hockey sense are improving. I think the only thing that will hold him back from developing further will be his work ethic. Does he have that inner drive to separate himself from a good NHL'er to a great NHL'er?

I've seen zero suggestions or evidence that Ethan Bear has any work ethic issues. I find these comments sometimes a little bit challenging, because they're way more likely to be applied to players of colour or European than a white Western Canadian guy. You see it in football with black quarterbacks - often it's either work ethic or intelligence being questioned.

To be absolutely clear, I'm not accusing you of being racist or even racially insensitive. I just think we need to be careful about saying this sort of thing unless there's some real solid evidence that it is actually an issue.

FWIW, I don't know that I see Bear becoming a "great NHLer". I am not certain there's an all-star there, and I think he's never going to get the PP push he'd need to be seen a such. Between Barrie, Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard...I don't think he ever gets a chance. That's not on work ethic though.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785024 is a reply to message #784983 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 15:06

I've seen zero suggestions or evidence that Ethan Bear has any work ethic issues. I find these comments sometimes a little bit challenging, because they're way more likely to be applied to players of colour or European than a white Western Canadian guy. You see it in football with black quarterbacks - often it's either work ethic or intelligence being questioned.

To be absolutely clear, I'm not accusing you of being racist or even racially insensitive. I just think we need to be careful about saying this sort of thing unless there's some real solid evidence that it is actually an issue.

FWIW, I don't know that I see Bear becoming a "great NHLer". I am not certain there's an all-star there, and I think he's never going to get the PP push he'd need to be seen a such. Between Barrie, Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard...I don't think he ever gets a chance. That's not on work ethic though.

@inferno- I can tell you from first hand experience that Bear has incredible work ethic in the offseason. He is also a fantastic guy overall. The smile and stuff you see on TV is very much how he is day to day.
I would be very surprised if he stopped working hard the minute the season started but I don't see him in season so it is possible.
I think he was a long shot to make the NHL when drafted and it is that work ethic that had him make the giant step and surprise everyone by making the team.

@Adam- I agree. Even when used in positive ways the comments are pretty interesting. When you watch the draft, white QB's are students of the game and field generals. Black QB's are freak athletes.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785026 is a reply to message #785024 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 18:01

@inferno- I can tell you from first hand experience that Bear has incredible work ethic in the offseason. He is also a fantastic guy overall. The smile and stuff you see on TV is very much how he is day to day.
I would be very surprised if he stopped working hard the minute the season started but I don't see him in season so it is possible.
I think he was a long shot to make the NHL when drafted and it is that work ethic that had him make the giant step and surprise everyone by making the team.

@Adam- I agree. Even when used in positive ways the comments are pretty interesting. When you watch the draft, white QB's are students of the game and field generals. Black QB's are freak athletes.

Incredible work ethic is the only thing that gets these guys to the NHL level these days.

A mix of work ethic + time + experience + teaching/mentoring + untapped potential is what would carry Bear to the next level, if he has another one. Hopefully something Oilers management has better figured out than in the past.

Making it to second pairing Dman in the NHL is nothing to sneeze at.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785028 is a reply to message #785026 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC is currently online welcometotheOC

No Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 19:12

Incredible work ethic is the only thing that gets these guys to the NHL level these days.

A mix of work ethic + time + experience + teaching/mentoring + untapped potential is what would carry Bear to the next level, if he has another one. Hopefully something Oilers management has better figured out than in the past.

I think size (height) may hold him back a bit, but if he can improve his strength and increase his weight a bit while maintaining or even improve his speed, he'll be excellent (he's had an up and down year this year in my opinion, but he has been much better lately. Jones - not so much. I'm not sold on Jones until he works out the brain cramps - 2nd pairing potential, but it is a few years off (3 or 4?).

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785029 is a reply to message #785026 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

I will say that plenty of NHL players have had their work ethic questioned, I mean I've had my ole trusty whipping boys that I questioned that. I'm still convinced Ales Hemsky might have been among the greats had he not been content with where he was, but that's just my perception. As far as Bear goes I have no more concern that this would be racially motivated than as far as any other NHL hockey player is concerned. Basketball? Yeah there's probably a stereotype there. Alan Iverson. (Practice?). But then again, you can look at a guy like Kevin Love and wonder where the work ethic and GAF factor are at..

In terms of the language, I'm old enough to have been a Warren Moon fan from the time he arrived with the Eskimos in 78 I think. I was that white kid who pretended to be Moon when we played flag football or good ole 2 hand touch. What really bothered me when I was old enough to figure it out was when analysts pointed out not only how athletic, but how 'bright and intelligent' Moon and similar athletes were. I mean yeah the guy can learn a playbook and read defenses as well as probably captain the team, of course he's intelligent. It just killed me how these analysts were nearly acting like they were witnessing a unicorn. My guess is that the dumbass to intelligence ratio is pretty much even across races, but yeah..... preconceptions used to be prevalent and are still out there.

A few games back Ethan Bear scored a big goal for the Oilers, I can't recall which game specifically, but his reaction told me alot about him and his investment in the hockey team. He was jacked, and it was infectious, I was jacked sitting at home watching, loved it. He played a hell of a game and was rewarded. He has it in him to raise his game, plus clearly he's invested, which to me is a huge positive. I have a feeling Ethan Bear can find that level and bring it consistently as soon as the playoffs. There's a difference maker there that I don't see so far, but hope to in Jones, for example if he remains an Oiler. I think Bear wants it, and there's nothing that brings that out for a hockey player like the playoffs.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2021 22:16]

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785030 is a reply to message #785029 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 22:04

I will say that plenty of NHL players have had their work ethic questioned, I mean I've had my ole trusty whipping boys that I questioned that. I'm still convinced Ales Hemsky might have been among the greats had he not been content with where he was, but that's just my perception. As far as Bear goes I have no more concern that this would be racially motivated than as far as any other NHL hockey player is concerned. Basketball? Yeah there's probably a stereotype there. Alan Iverson.

In terms of the language, I'm old enough to have been a Warren Moon fan from the time he arrived with the Eskimos in 78 I think. I was that white kid who pretended to be Moon when we played flag football or good ole 2 hand touch. What really bothered me when I was old enough to figure it out was when analysts pointed out not only how athletic, but how 'bright and intelligent' Moon and similar athletes were. I mean yeah the guy can learn a playbook and read defenses as well as probably captain the team, of course he's intelligent. It just killed me how these analysts were nearly acting like they were witnessing a unicorn. My guess is that the dumbass to intelligence ratio is pretty much even across races, but yeah..... preconceptions used to be prevalent and are still out there.

A few games back Ethan Bear scored a big goal for the Oilers, I can't recall which game specifically, but his reaction told me alot about him and his investment in the hockey team. He was jacked, and it was infectious, I was jacked sitting at home watching, loved it. He played a hell of a game and was rewarded. He has it in him to raise his game, plus clearly he's invested, which to me is a huge positive. I have a feeling Ethan Bear can find that level and bring it consistently as soon as the playoffs. There's a difference maker there that I don't see so far, but hope to in Jones, for example if he remains an Oiler. I think Bear wants it, and there's nothing that brings that out for a hockey player like the playoffs.

I don't think it's a lack of effort thing with Bear either. More an experience thing. Looking clueless now and then is just what happens to guys. Happened to Nurse all the time in his first few seasons, and still does now and then. Need the decision making to keep getting quicker, and hopefully no more concussions for a while.

As for all players giving maximum effort all the time, I give you this!

http://media.giphy.com/media/YewvFDvRqZXrO/giphy.gif

Some guys are just blessed with a boat load of talent and are able to turn on the effort only when needed :)

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785031 is a reply to message #785030 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 12 May 2021 22:09

I will say that plenty of NHL players have had their work ethic questioned, I mean I've had my ole trusty whipping boys that I questioned that. I'm still convinced Ales Hemsky might have been among the greats had he not been content with where he was, but that's just my perception. As far as Bear goes I have no more concern that this would be racially motivated than as far as any other NHL hockey player is concerned. Basketball? Yeah there's probably a stereotype there. Alan Iverson.

I don't think it's a lack of effort thing with Bear either. More an experience thing. Looking clueless now and then is just what happens to guys. Happened to Nurse all the time in his first few seasons, and still does now and then. Need the decision making to keep getting quicker, and hopefully no more concussions for a while.

As for all players giving maximum effort all the time, I give you this!

http://media.giphy.com/media/YewvFDvRqZXrO/giphy.gif

Some guys are just blessed with a boat load of talent and are able to turn on the effort only when needed :)

😆 Thank God Phil Kessel was never an Oiler. Despite my ongoing and questionable transition from old timey views to the ideal modern human (and hockey fan), I would have been triggered.
icon_nod Couple other guys there look like they'd been force fed a poop sandwich for sure.

Re: Adam Larsson - potential contract extension [message #785032 is a reply to message #785029 ]
Wed, 12 May 2021 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

I will say that plenty of NHL players have had their work ethic questioned, I mean I've had my ole trusty whipping boys that I questioned that. I'm still convinced Ales Hemsky might have been among the greats had he not been content with where he was, but that's just my perception. As far as Bear goes I have no more concern that this would be racially motivated than as far as any other NHL hockey player is concerned. Basketball? Yeah there's probably a stereotype there. Alan Iverson. (Practice?). But then again, you can look at a guy like Kevin Love and wonder where the work ethic and GAF factor are at..

It's funny because the late 1970s isn't that long ago - but the reality is, Moon might never have had to play in the CFL if not for the fact he was black. He was a ridiculous talent and probably should have been in the NFL the whole time.

I think it's more prevalent in hockey than you think. Look at who is more likely to be labelled as mentally soft, lazy or enigmatic. Europeans would make up a pretty high percentage there - from Kent Nilsson to Petr Klima to Alexei Kovalev to Ales Hemsky...the list goes on and on. You do see the same sort of backhanded compliments to any European with a more gritty game too - as if they don't actually have any bodychecking in the game outside of North America.

We have absolutely seen that there's racism against black players - D'Andre Miller and that interrupted Zoom call last year being one of the worst cases - and while we like to think that we're not racist in Canada, and certainly I don't think it is as pronounced, it isn't like it doesn't exist. I do think that on the whole, Canadians are more likely to be racist towards First Nations than just about any other group. Sometimes rather casually racist at that. There is not a doubt in my mind that some of the criticism you see of Bear on twitter is racially tinged, and if he was a good ol' white kid from Red Deer, Alberta, some of that criticism just wouldn't be there.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Keith to Oilers?
Next Topic:Buyout Targets
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca