This day on April 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Hemmer2Eberle, Burgeoboy, Weloveoil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779267]
Fri, 12 March 2021 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   0%
Ottawa to win:   0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2020-21 Regular Season
Sunday, January 31, 2021Ottawa 5 @ Edmonton 8Win
Tuesday, February 2, 2021Ottawa 2 @ Edmonton 4Win
Monday, February 8, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Ottawa 1Win
Tuesday, February 9, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Ottawa 2Win
Monday, March 8, 2021Ottawa 2 @ Edmonton 3Win
Wednesday, March 10, 2021Ottawa 1 @ Edmonton 7Win
Friday, March 12, 2021Ottawa 2 @ Edmonton 6Win
Wednesday, April 7, 2021Edmonton 4 @ Ottawa 2Win
Thursday, April 8, 2021Edmonton 3 @ Ottawa 1Win
Home Record: 5-0-0       Road Record: 4-0-0       Overall Record: 9-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 28/13 Total: 41
Home / Road Goals Against: 12/6 Total: 18

2019-20 Regular Season
Wednesday, December 4, 2019Ottawa 5 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Wednesday, March 18, 2020Edmonton @ Ottawa
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 0-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/0 Total: 2
Home / Road Goals Against: 5/0 Total: 5

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779273 is a reply to message #779267 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Just. Win.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779298 is a reply to message #779273 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twilson1111  is currently offline twilson1111

No Cups

Only Cat 2 wouldn’t you say?

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779299 is a reply to message #779298 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

twilson1111 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 14:06

It’s Cat 5 Just.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779300 is a reply to message #779299 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:09

twilson1111 wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 14:06

It’s Cat 5 Just.

Feelin' justy in here

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779274 is a reply to message #779267 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Make it 3 for 3 in a good way after suffering through the wrong end of one at the hands of the other Ontario team. Just do eet.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779276 is a reply to message #779274 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Unless Kassian is ready to go, I assume it's the exact same lines. Maybe Koskinen starting which I would do. I am curious to see who plays for Ottawa. I saw this morning white is listed as day to day. If he didn't tears something after that fall, he must be gumby. Dzingle listed as might go which is shocking because he could barely get off the ice last game. Looked bad.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779275 is a reply to message #779267 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I get the feeling the Sens will be out to win tonight. Just find a way to win and get out before the Sens get too tough.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779284 is a reply to message #779275 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 09:38

I get the feeling the Sens will be out to win tonight. Just find a way to win and get out before the Sens get too tough.

The Sens are as tough as a soggy cracker. Just put the pedal down and run them over again. Only issue for the Oilers is if we don't come out strong, because we do have the goaltending capable of leaking a few goals to the weakest team in the league.

Maybe tonight is the night we can finally put up 10 on them.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779285 is a reply to message #779284 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:29

The Sens are as tough as a soggy cracker. Just put the pedal down and run them over again. Only issue for the Oilers is if we don't come out strong, because we do have the goaltending capable of leaking a few goals to the weakest team in the league.

You sound a lot like my brother. His expectation is the Oilers absolutely destroy the Sens every single time. Anything less and it borders on as bad as a loss.

Just win the game. Doesn't matter how or what the score is. Just win.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779286 is a reply to message #779285 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:46

You sound a lot like my brother. His expectation is the Oilers absolutely destroy the Sens every single time. Anything less and it borders on as bad as a loss.

J(M)ust. Win.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779288 is a reply to message #779286 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:56

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:46

J(M)ust. Win.

Exactly. Whether its 10-0 or 3-2, they both count the same in the standings. The fact they have won 6 in a row against 1 team is pretty impressive. That's hard to do.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779303 is a reply to message #779285 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:46

I didn't say that the Oilers need to steam roll them. Said that the Senators aren't tough competition and should just be dispatched. Ideally, the team crushes them again and goes for some personal records in the process.

I am glad we aren't playing AHL 'tenders against them anymore though!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779280 is a reply to message #779267 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Same lines up front, Kris Russell out and Caleb Jones in. Schmith starts.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779283 is a reply to message #779280 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 10:55

Surprised Smith is getting the start. If Tippett has Smith as his guy then you'd think he would put in Koskinen in what should be the easier game and save his starter for the harder team.

I see the same bloggers on twitter whining about about Bouchard not playing again and I am getting sick of it. I've asked the question multiple times and never get an answer. If you want Bouchard to play, someone has to come out of the line up. So WHO?

All these bloggers think Jones is the real deal. They like his skating and puck moving so they want him in. He's also a young dman and they want the youth to play. He's in.

All these bloggers think Bear basically walks on water. These same guys lost it when it was even remotely suggested he be traded and put it up there as being an all time stupid move if it happens. Yes he has had a rough start but they believe in him and want him to play. He's in.

Barrie runs the PP, he leads the team in scoring on defense and is 5th overall in defense scoirng in the NHL. He plays over 22 mins a night and if you take out the first 10 games, he's been playing pretty well. He's a plus dman. He's on pace for over 60 pts in 82 games, he moves the puck really well, skates really well and he's an offense driving machine. I don't know how you go to McD and Leon and say to them the team is all about winning then tell them they are scratching Barrie.

Larsson who I was hard on to start the season has done a complete 180 and been excellent. This is the best he's played in a couple of years. They can't take him out. Plus he is one of the few dmen that actually defend well, can break up the cycle, is physical and is their PK anchor. Similar to Barrie, how do you sell you are serious about winning to McD or Leon if you take him out for a rookie who doesn't nothing that Larsson does.

Nurse. I won't say much other than he's their best dman, plays a ton. Never happening. Plus I think McD and Leon would freak the hell out. I would.

Lagesson. The only guy I guess. But the guy just goes out there, shift after shift and does his job and does it well. He's great defensively, great on the PK. Larsson loves playing with him. The Oilers can send that pairing whenever they want and nothing happens for the opposition. There is MASSIVE value in having a pairing that can play excellent defense especially when you don't have a vezina goalie in there. Plus he's left.

I am a big Bouchard fan and I think he is going to be good but right now I don't see how you can take out someone for him to play. Fans and bloggers for years have been complaining about how the Oilers for years and years did not handle their young guys properly because they did not put them in positions to succeed. How does putting a rookie, learning arguably the toughest position on an NHL ice surface, on his offside be putting him into a position to succeed? He has enough to worry about just becoming an NHL dman, forcing him to have to do extra being on his offside, to me makes no sense and not fair to him.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2021 12:57]

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779287 is a reply to message #779283 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:27

Surprised Smith is getting the start. If Tippett has Smith as his guy then you'd think he would put in Koskinen in what should be the easier game and save his starter for the harder team.

I see the same bloggers on twitter whining about about Bouchard not playing again and I an getting sick of it. I've asked the question multiple times and never get an answer. If you want Bouchard to play, someone has to come out of the line up. So WHO?

All these bloggers think Jones is the real deal. They like his skating and puck moving so they want him in. He's also a young dman and they want the youth to play. He's in.

All these bloggers think Bear basically walks on water. These same guys lost it when it was even remotely suggested he be traded and put it up there as being an all time stupid move if it happens. Yes he has had a rough start but they believe in him and want him to play. He's in.

Barrie runs the PP, he leads the team in scoring on defense and is 5th overall in defense scoirng in the NHL. He plays over 22 mins a night and if you take out the first 10 games, he's been playing pretty well. He's a plus dman. He's on pace for over 60 pts in 82 games, he moves the puck really well, skates really well and he's an offense driving machine. I don't know how you go to McD and Leon and say to them the team is all about winning then tell them they are scratching Barrie.

Larsson who I was hard on to start the season has done a complete 180 and been excellent. This is the best he's played in a couple of years. They can't take him out. Plus he is one of the few dmen that actually defend well, can break up the cycle, is physical and is their PK anchor. Similar to Barrie, how do you sell you are serious about winning to McD or Leon if you take him out for a rookie who doesn't nothing that Larsson does.

Nurse. I won't say much other than he's their best dman, plays a ton. Never happening. Plus I think McD and Leon would freak the hell out. I would.

Lagesson. The only guy I guess. But the guy just goes out there, shift after shift and does his job and does it well. He's great defensively, great on the PK. Larsson loves playing with him. The Oilers can send that pairing whenever that want and nothing happens for the opposition. There is MASSIVE value in having a pairing that can play excellent defense especially when you don't have a vezina goalie in there. Plus he's left.

I am a big Bouchard fan and I think he is going to be good but right now I don't see how you can take out someone for him to play. Fans and bloggers for years have been complaining about how the Oilers for years and years did not handle their young guys properly because they did not put them in positions to succeed. How does putting a rookie, learning arguably the toughest position on an NHL ice surface, on his offside be putting him into a position to succeed? He has enough to worry about just becoming an NHL dman, forcing him to have to do extra being on his offside, to me makes no sense and not fair to him.

I'd be fine with the team sitting Lagesson or Larsson for Bouchard. Frankly, I think they need him in the mix. It doesn't do him a lot of good to sit idle.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779289 is a reply to message #779287 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:01

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 11:27

I see the same bloggers on twitter whining about about Bouchard not playing again and I an getting sick of it. I've asked the question multiple times and never get an answer. If you want Bouchard to play, someone has to come out of the line up. So WHO?

Lagesson. The only guy I guess. But the guy just goes out there, shift after shift and does his job and does it well. He's great defensively, great on the PK. Larsson loves playing with him. The Oilers can send that pairing whenever that want and nothing happens for the opposition. There is MASSIVE value in having a pairing that can play excellent defense especially when you don't have a vezina goalie in there. Plus he's left.

I'd be fine with the team sitting Lagesson or Larsson for Bouchard. Frankly, I think they need him in the mix. It doesn't do him a lot of good to sit idle.

If a person is big on putting young players in positions to succeed, I don't see how putting a rookie on his offside does that. Vets struggle to do it but yet you expect a rookie too.

I don't know how you sell benching your teams best PK and best defending dman who's been playing excellent and been helping your team win most of your games in Larsson to McD or Leon and tell them you are doing it because you are serious about winning.

To get Bouchard in, I would probably rotate him and Bear.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779291 is a reply to message #779289 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:12

If a person is big on putting young players in positions to succeed, I don't see how putting a rookie on his offside does that. Vets struggle to do it but yet you expect a rookie too.

I don't know how you sell benching your teams best PK and best defending dman who's been playing excellent and been helping your team win most of your games in Larsson to McD or Leon and tell them you are doing it because you are serious about winning.

I dont read Oilers blogs or listen to TSN radio. I do listen to NHL radio as it covers the whole league and tends to be higher quality and less biased. I only mention this as I dont know about all the bloggers you mentioned in your first post (I only trimmed this for size)

I agree that you cant just put Bouchard in just for the sake of it. I also agree that shoehorning him in to his offhand side might be a recipe for disaster. (although he has apparently played there for long stretches before and is quite comfortable)
I also agree that I think he should be rotating in with Bear. Dont make it a "screw up and you are sitting" scenario. Have a convo with both. Discuss a plan and stick with it for a ten game stretch or so. Evaluate then. Create a new plan. If one emerges skew it to that player.

If they arent going to do that, the biggest thing for me is Bouchard needs to play hockey. If they cant come up with some way for him to do so in the NHL they need just send him to the Condors and call him up 3 weeks before the playoffs (fingers crossed) so he can quarantine and get back on the ice just in case he is needed for them.

Sitting and watching hockey for weeks at a time does not help the team, doesnt help the player and wont make it any different next year than this year. By that I mean he wont have any more NHL experience of off hand experience that will make him any more than he is right now.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779294 is a reply to message #779291 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:35

I dont read Oilers blogs or listen to TSN radio. I do listen to NHL radio as it covers the whole league and tends to be higher quality and less biased. I only mention this as I dont know about all the bloggers you mentioned in your first post (I only trimmed this for size)

I agree that you cant just put Bouchard in just for the sake of it. I also agree that shoehorning him in to his offhand side might be a recipe for disaster. (although he has apparently played there for long stretches before and is quite comfortable)
I also agree that I think he should be rotating in with Bear. Dont make it a "screw up and you are sitting" scenario. Have a convo with both. Discuss a plan and stick with it for a ten game stretch or so. Evaluate then. Create a new plan. If one emerges skew it to that player.

If they arent going to do that, the biggest thing for me is Bouchard needs to play hockey. If they cant come up with some way for him to do so in the NHL they need just send him to the Condors and call him up 3 weeks before the playoffs (fingers crossed) so he can quarantine and get back on the ice just in case he is needed for them.

Sitting and watching hockey for weeks at a time does not help the team, doesnt help the player and wont make it any different next year than this year. By that I mean he wont have any more NHL experience of off hand experience that will make him any more than he is right now.

I’ll betcha right now that Bouchard plays tomorrow night in Vancouver

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779296 is a reply to message #779294 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:40

I wont bet you but I hope you are right. If this team keeps telling fans they are building for a future it is time to start making choices that improve the odds of actually getting better.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779297 is a reply to message #779294 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 12:40

The only issue is who goes on the PK if you swap out Bear. I am not in favor of having Russell in for Jones so that leaves you with having to play either Barrie or Bouchard or another left shot in Jones. I do not know if Jones is very good on the PK, I don't think putting a rookie on the PK is the right call. Let him worry about just defending 5 on 5 first before you put that on him so by default, I guess Barrie.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779305 is a reply to message #779297 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:04

The only issue is who goes on the PK if you swap out Bear. I am not in favor of having Russell in for Jones so that leaves you with having to play either Barrie or Bouchard or another left shot in Jones. I do not know if Jones is very good on the PK, I don't think putting a rookie on the PK is the right call. Let him worry about just defending 5 on 5 first before you put that on him so by default, I guess Barrie.

Jones will be fine on the PK. Rookie defencemen play PK on other teams too. We don't need to dress plugs to be on the PK - that's a fallacy. Puck movers are probably better to have because they're less likely to just ring the boards if they come across a loose puck and will rather thread the needle and get the puck out of the zone. Some of the best PKers we've had have been puck-moving defencemen.

It's not like you're throwing a lot of hits on the PK anyhow. You're not allowed to play Derian Hatcher and pummel the guy in front of the net as you once were. You need to be able to retrieve pucks whenever you can, get in passing lanes, disrupt the powerplay and exit the puck. That need not be a Russell or Larsson type.

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779306 is a reply to message #779305 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:48

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2021 13:04

Jones will be fine on the PK. Rookie defencemen play PK on other teams too. We don't need to dress plugs to be on the PK - that's a fallacy. Puck movers are probably better to have because they're less likely to just ring the boards if they come across a loose puck and will rather thread the needle and get the puck out of the zone. Some of the best PKers we've had have been puck-moving defencemen.

It's not like you're throwing a lot of hits on the PK anyhow. You're not allowed to play Derian Hatcher and pummel the guy in front of the net as you once were. You need to be able to retrieve pucks whenever you can, get in passing lanes, disrupt the powerplay and exit the puck. That need not be a Russell or Larsson type.

You won't get an argument with me about Russell. But if you are going to say Larsson deserves to sit for Bouchard, then no offense but you are either saying that to get a rise out of people or you don't know what you are talking about. You still have to have some guys in your line up to defend. Pick out whichever team you want who you deem have a good defense and they have guys who's job is just defend. Larsson has been great, I don't know why anyone would want to take him out.

[Updated on: Fri, 12 March 2021 14:04]

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779307 is a reply to message #779267 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Wreck these suckers!

https://reactions.gifs.ninja/r/d10d227.gif

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779313 is a reply to message #779307 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

Hard to change a line-up that just dominated them. Keep on 'em. Go Oilers!

Re: Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #29) [message #779314 is a reply to message #779267 ]
Fri, 12 March 2021 18:41 Go to previous message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Just hoping for a good first 10, that's usually where we blow games

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Previous Topic:Pregame: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Next Topic:Review: Ottawa @ Edmonton (Game #28)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca