F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775623]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:15 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Holy crap Vancouver's entire 1040 TSN radio .. deleted overnight.. everyone gone.. axed..
Bell says they will convert the station to "comedy" ?? What? Interesting that these layoffs happen after Bell reports a profit, and takes $125 m in Federal Government Covid "assistance"
(ie your money)

There's guys there that have been lifelong fixtures in Vancouver sports that will be on the street.. brutal.

Is sports radio dead?

TSN in Winnipeg and Hamilton also vapourized. So Sarah Orlesky gone too? She was one of the few women sports reporters that I thought were actually credible.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 February 2021 16:17]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775625 is a reply to message #775623 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

Do you still listen to sports radio?[ 34 vote(s) ]
1.Yes, regularly 15 / 44%
2.Only after games 2 / 6%
3.Sometimes 7 / 21%
4.No 10 / 29%

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 16:15

Is sports radio dead?

I haven't listened in years. Maybe on the way home from watching the team lose, I'll check in to hear the rants, but that's about it. I get most of my commentary from Oilfans and r/hockey.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775626 is a reply to message #775625 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

According to the TSN website, four radio stations remain. Edmonton, Toronto. Montreal and Ottawa.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio

Probably subject to change without notice.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775627 is a reply to message #775626 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Shoulda gave them more money.

The legacy media lays people off every other week (Dan O'Toole & Natasha S last week). No one should be surprised when Rogers cans people next week.

This is fine.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775631 is a reply to message #775627 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG is currently online NetBOG

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 16:43

No one should be surprised when Rogers cans people next week.

I think Burkie canning himself meets this weeks quota.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775761 is a reply to message #775625 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I listen, but almost always in podcast form, very rarely live.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775628 is a reply to message #775623 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

Wow, can't believe they shutdown Vancouver.

I do listen to sports radio every morning anywhere between 5 and 7 or so. Can't stand the goofy fellow on TSN 1260, not big on the ESPN offering but gave that trio a try for a good month, now have settled Dan Patrick on Fox Sports. Odd afternoon I will tune into Gregor, still enjoy his show too.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775635 is a reply to message #775628 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

MJ wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 15:45

Wow, can't believe they shutdown Vancouver.

I do listen to sports radio every morning anywhere between 5 and 7 or so. Can't stand the goofy fellow on TSN 1260, not big on the ESPN offering but gave that trio a try for a good month, now have settled Dan Patrick on Fox Sports. Odd afternoon I will tune into Gregor, still enjoy his show too.

Its weird for the Vancouver station, almost every guy I know here listens to it to get Canucks info, plus it had the 2nd biggest listening audience besides TO, it must translate to ad sales.. no?

Just a total massacre.

I guess there is a another sports radio station in Vancouver.. Sportsnet 650, no one I know here listens to it though.. maybe Bell wants to get out of radio entirely.

Apparently they have 2 other Sportsnet radio stations, one in Calgary, and one in Toronto.

Maybe TSN Calgary gets massacred next..

Update.. I looked up Sportsnet 650 line up.. very, very weak, not a real sports radio station, joke.

[Updated on: Tue, 09 February 2021 17:15]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775629 is a reply to message #775623 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

They let go of Dan O'Toole, Natasha S, and the local Ottawa TV guy last week (along with many behind the scenes people.

Sarah Orlesky should be ok because she does the Bombers and Jets broadcasts which make them tons of money.

Radio doesn't surprise me. Podcasts have taken much of radios audience. They still do need on-air TV people so some will stay.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775671 is a reply to message #775623 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

I listen to 1260, I start work at 6am and I rather enjoy Dustin Nielson’s show. If there’s someone who loves Puljujarvi more than me, it’s Dustin Nielson. I also listen to 630 ched, often, for Oilers now. Though, if I miss them on any given day, I will download the show on Overcast as a pod for listening to while I cook, do dishes, etc.

As an aside, Nielson’s pod, The Oil Stream, is a decent listen. He and Tom Gazola on Wednesdays and Fridays. They’re around 20 minutes in length. Also, the OilersNation pods are pretty good, OilersNation Radio (Friday afternoons), OilersNation Real Life (couple times a week) and then the OilersNation Pre-Game Pod on game days.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775675 is a reply to message #775671 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

I think the on air personalities are aware. The recent uptick in NHL podcasts from Neilson, Gregor, Yaremchuk, etc has not went unnoticed by me.

I listen to sports radio everyday and mix in podcasts throughout the week. I think radio has reached reached stage 4 and the end is near. Thankfully there are some great pods out there and they’re updated often.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775680 is a reply to message #775675 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 18:08

I think the on air personalities are aware. The recent uptick in NHL podcasts from Neilson, Gregor, Yaremchuk, etc has not went unnoticed by me.

I listen to sports radio everyday and mix in podcasts throughout the week. I think radio has reached reached stage 4 and the end is near. Thankfully there are some great pods out there and they’re updated often.

I think the podcasts are killing off the sports talk radio. There is just more competition now. You can listen to them anytime and there’s limited commercials. There may be less local news though - harder to make a podcast work if you only have a following in a single city.

I wonder if less people commuting to and from work this year hurts those shows too...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775701 is a reply to message #775680 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 19:13

I think the podcasts are killing off the sports talk radio. There is just more competition now. You can listen to them anytime and there’s limited commercials. There may be less local news though - harder to make a podcast work if you only have a following in a single city.

I wonder if less people commuting to and from work this year hurts those shows too...

A lot radio shows are put out as pods too though. Kinda redundant, but allows you to download them to listen at your convenience.

I use the Overcast app, and the YEG sports talk shows are updated pretty quick.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775714 is a reply to message #775701 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 18:33

A lot radio shows are put out as pods too though. Kinda redundant, but allows you to download them to listen at your convenience.

I’m curious. How many podcast listeners do you need to be financially viable? Do you think that regional pods would be any less successful than regional radio shows? I live in Sask and I search out Oil content. The best part about pods are you’re not tied to a time slot. Life is hectic.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775718 is a reply to message #775714 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 18:56

I’m curious. How many podcast listeners do you need to be financially viable? Do you think that regional pods would be any less successful than regional radio shows? I live in Sask and I search out Oil content. The best part about pods are you’re not tied to a time slot. Life is hectic.

There's a LOT less commercials on podcasts. That's a lot of lost revenue. Can't support nearly the same infrastructure on that.

It is interesting, because the ad sales on the radio often have a lot of local companies advertising, but almost all the ads I've heard on podcast are products and more national/international in nature.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775722 is a reply to message #775714 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 19:56

That’s why I think the radio shows won’t ever completely die. They’ll likely fade more, but they’re able to be broken down into pod episodes for your streaming or downloading pleasure on apps, like Overcast. They cater to those who like to listen live as well as those who don’t have that luxury. I listen while I work, but some days I also work without, or with music. And if I want, I’m able to download that radio show I missed.

The pod scene is saturated. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can record themselves and publish a pod. But for the most part, the ones with any value aren’t daily when it comes to hockey. That I have found anyway.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775724 is a reply to message #775722 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 19:14

That’s why I think the radio shows won’t ever completely die. They’ll likely fade more, but they’re able to be broken down into pod episodes for your streaming or downloading pleasure on apps, like Overcast. They cater to those who like to listen live as well as those who don’t have that luxury. I listen while I work, but some days I also work without, or with music. And if I want, I’m able to download that radio show I missed.

The pod scene is saturated. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can record themselves and publish a pod. But for the most part, the ones with any value aren’t daily when it comes to hockey. That I have found anyway.

I will say - A Jason Gregor doing a podcast is probably taking a BIG haircut on pay from what he makes as a prime drive time radio host.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775731 is a reply to message #775724 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 20:15

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 19:14

I will say - A Jason Gregor doing a podcast is probably taking a BIG haircut on pay from what he makes as a prime drive time radio host.

He has a new pod too, with OilersNation, called the DFO Rundown or something.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775738 is a reply to message #775724 ]
Tue, 09 February 2021 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

“As an estimate, if your podcast has about 10,000 downloads per episode, you can expect to make between $500 – $900 per episode in affiliate sales.”

A high end radio host is around $85k. Not saying it’d be easy, but a good host pimps himself/herself out for appearance fees and works hard on pods likely does better. This is assuming they have a recognizable name and a previous following.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775772 is a reply to message #775738 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 09 February 2021 19:26

“As an estimate, if your podcast has about 10,000 downloads per episode, you can expect to make between $500 – $900 per episode in affiliate sales.”

A high end radio host is around $85k. Not saying it’d be easy, but a good host pimps himself/herself out for appearance fees and works hard on pods likely does better. This is assuming they have a recognizable name and a previous following.

I just started producing a podcast (not sports related) for my wife and another person who together co-host. My wife has quite a big online following in her field, and so far it's been quite popular, mind you, it's still in its infancy. I dabble in the music industry as a hobby, and there are a lot of similarities between both industries. You need good content, consistency, hard work, and a willingness to work for free indefinitely with no guarantee that there will be a monetary benefit eventually.

Podcasts are the future, radio is obsolete. Sucks if you work in radio, but they need to adapt, and many are. Same goes with music, cable tv, movies, etc. On-demand is what the consumer wants, generally speaking.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775822 is a reply to message #775772 ]
Wed, 10 February 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

jds308 wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 11:04

I just started producing a podcast (not sports related) for my wife and another person who together co-host. My wife has quite a big online following in her field, and so far it's been quite popular, mind you, it's still in its infancy. I dabble in the music industry as a hobby, and there are a lot of similarities between both industries. You need good content, consistency, hard work, and a willingness to work for free indefinitely with no guarantee that there will be a monetary benefit eventually.

Podcasts are the future, radio is obsolete. Sucks if you work in radio, but they need to adapt, and many are. Same goes with music, cable tv, movies, etc. On-demand is what the consumer wants, generally speaking.

What’s the podcast? I am always willing to check out something new. My playlist starts with Oilers hockey, to general hockey, baseball to weightlifting, to “My Dad Wrote a Porno”. If it’s good, I’ll listen.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775894 is a reply to message #775822 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 10 February 2021 15:32

What’s the podcast? I am always willing to check out something new. My playlist starts with Oilers hockey, to general hockey, baseball to weightlifting, to “My Dad Wrote a Porno”. If it’s good, I’ll listen.

It's about parenting without religion.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #776011 is a reply to message #775894 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

jds308 wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 13:41

I am very interested. This (religion in general) is a heavily debated topic at our family gatherings. Medium size family that ranges from VERY religious to godless heathens.

Where can I find it? Whats it called?

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #776060 is a reply to message #776011 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 19:17

jds308 wrote on Thu, 11 February 2021 13:41

I am very interested. This (religion in general) is a heavily debated topic at our family gatherings. Medium size family that ranges from VERY religious to godless heathens.

Where can I find it? Whats it called?

It's only on Youtube at the moment. We're working on releasing them to itunes, Google, etc. in a more "polished" format, but not quite done yet.

For now, the first 3 episodes are here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/Godlessmommy/videos

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #776084 is a reply to message #776060 ]
Fri, 12 February 2021 15:15 Go to previous message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

10 years ago I was constantly listening to sports radio (via streaming as I'm in BC), but now I don't at all unless it's a game I can't watch or some big news event like a trade.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775885 is a reply to message #775772 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Makes sense to me.

I will say, maybe I'm just heartless, but I don't think Bell needs to be villainized for making these decisions. I imagine that the issue is that the stations aren't profitable, and I don't think even big companies should be expected to just keep pouring good money after bad if they're not making money in a venture. It's likely that Bell tried to sell these stations first - unless they plan to just re-brand and re-purpose the station. It likely costs them a lot more to mothball it than if they'd if they had been able to sell the company.

I imagine all these people got severance when they were let go. They may be able to argue that it's challenging to mitigate their lost positions and so they need larger severance from Bell. It sucks to be let go, and I do feel for the people, but I don't see that as something where Bell is run by horrible people because they made this decision.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775890 is a reply to message #775623 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sports radio has some abysmal ratings

https://broadcastdialogue.com/fall-2020-ppm-ratings-released /

Nobody is going to run a private sports station. The big guys need to have TV people in a lot of markets, so they can just have them do radio as well to cut costs. I'm assuming sports radio is the cheapest to produce, no royalties to pay, no CanCon rules to follow, just a microphone an announcer and a single tech.

Re: TSN Carnage (Bell Media Layoffs) [message #775941 is a reply to message #775623 ]
Thu, 11 February 2021 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Google has stolen all the advertising dollars, worldwide.. Fk Google.
Too big.
Time to split it up like Bell.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:2021 NHL Trade Tracker Thread
Next Topic:10 NJ Devils on COVID Protocol
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca