This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2021 - Speculation ‘round the LeaguePages (8): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #773824]
Wed, 27 January 2021 08:53 Go to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Your quick and simple one stop shop for all things SPECULATIVE around the NHL for the 2021 season and player movement!

Word around the league is that the Blues have made Vince Dunn available, looking for a first.

Oilers draft pick situation is terrible this year, but we need fresh blood on D and this kid is a mover (and under 2mil).

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #773830 is a reply to message #773824 ]
Wed, 27 January 2021 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I fully embrace the importance of draft picks and prospects for the longevity of your team. However, you still need guys who can play right now while you wait. I am of the belief that Klef is done. These players are typically pretty focused on just hockey. But just by the way he was talking, when you are bringing up life stuff worrying about picking up kids and stuff and hockey is secondary in the conversation, that to me says part of your might already be out the door. So if you have the opportunity to get a not even 25 yr old, relatively experienced, good skating, puck moving fairly offensive, left shot dman, I think you have to explore that pretty freaking hard. He's an immediate plug and play guy. He's the age you want to go with McD, Leon, Nurse, Bear, Yamo.

Maybe Jones can become that guy one day and I know it's early but he sure isn't looking like that right now.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774286 is a reply to message #773830 ]
Sat, 30 January 2021 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Sam Bennett wants out of Calgary now as well.

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774306 is a reply to message #774286 ]
Sat, 30 January 2021 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sat, 30 January 2021 20:39

Mete for Bennett swap perhaps?

I’d take Bennett on the Oilers in a heartbeat.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774350 is a reply to message #774306 ]
Sun, 31 January 2021 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sat, 30 January 2021 20:41

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sat, 30 January 2021 20:39

Mete for Bennett swap perhaps?

I’d take Bennett on the Oilers in a heartbeat.

All depends on the price to get him. He's a 3rd line player at best who's contract I wouldn't say is super expensive but not exactly cheap either.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774351 is a reply to message #774306 ]
Sun, 31 January 2021 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

DeAngelo on waivers? 4th in D scoring last year.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774355 is a reply to message #774351 ]
Sun, 31 January 2021 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 11:40

Lotta baggage there though. And I wonder what he's like in the room given how caustic he is on social media.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774360 is a reply to message #774355 ]
Sun, 31 January 2021 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 12:14

Lotta baggage there though. And I wonder what he's like in the room given how caustic he is on social media.

He seems to be going off the rails this year - but sometimes you need a redemption story to get a good player cheap. Only issue is that it would be hard to fit him under the cap.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774362 is a reply to message #774360 ]
Sun, 31 January 2021 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 13:15

He seems to be going off the rails this year - but sometimes you need a redemption story to get a good player cheap. Only issue is that it would be hard to fit him under the cap.

Report: Tony DeAngelo's Altercation with Alexandar Georgiev Led to Rangers Exit As per Bleacher Report.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2929137-report-tony-dean gelos-altercation-with-alexandar-georgiev-led-to-rangers-exi t

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774371 is a reply to message #774362 ]
Sun, 31 January 2021 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 13:36

Adam wrote on Sun, 31 January 2021 13:15

Report: Tony DeAngelo's Altercation with Alexandar Georgiev Led to Rangers Exit As per Bleacher Report.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2929137-report-tony-dean gelos-altercation-with-alexandar-georgiev-led-to-rangers-exi t

Yeah - it would be a challenging thing for any team to take on. He's certainly not done himself any favours by being a idiot and an a-hole.

If you take him on, you need a plan for how to rehabilitate the player. Sometimes, coming close to losing it all helps straighten some guys' heads...sometimes not though.

On the earlier rumour, I think it's nice of St. Louis to say that they want a 1st round pick. They're dreaming of course. That's a rich price to pay for a guy demanding out who's clearly at odds with his coach.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774551 is a reply to message #773824 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-say-sam-bennett- not-formally-requested-trade-blindsided-report/

Anyone really believe the Flames on this, that they didn't know Bennett wanted out until Elliotte Friedman said it on TV?

It would be more credible if it was coming from anyone but Eric Francis, who may as well be on the Flames payroll. He's basically just a mouthpiece.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774559 is a reply to message #774551 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 10:53

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/flames-say-sam-bennett- not-formally-requested-trade-blindsided-report/

Anyone really believe the Flames on this, that they didn't know Bennett wanted out until Elliotte Friedman said it on TV?

It would be more credible if it was coming from anyone but Eric Francis, who may as well be on the Flames payroll. He's basically just a mouthpiece.

He’s their Mark Spector. Both absolute plugs.

I laughed reading the article. All about how he didn’t follow the appropriate channels, didn’t talk to Mr Ward about his frustration, didn’t give that time and then escalate it to Brad if he felt he wasn’t heard. Goes on about how the timing is TERRIBLE after the recent players only meeting.

Chiasson for Bennett. Let’s do the dang thing.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774562 is a reply to message #774559 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 10:40

I laughed reading the article. All about how he didn’t follow the appropriate channels, didn’t talk to Mr Ward about his frustration, didn’t give that time and then escalate it to Brad if he felt he wasn’t heard. Goes on about how the timing is TERRIBLE after the recent players only meeting.

He seems more like their stauffer to me. So completely biased toward Calgary on every topic that you'd think he was an employee.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774564 is a reply to message #774562 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 10:53

He seems more like their stauffer to me. So completely biased toward Calgary on every topic that you'd think he was an employee.

When you do the play by play for the team and you travel with the team like Stauffer normally does, are you not pretty much an employee of the team?

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774569 is a reply to message #774564 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 11:01

When you do the play by play for the team and you travel with the team like Stauffer normally does, are you not pretty much an employee of the team?

That does not mean they're employees. A case could be made that they should be, but I doubt the voices of the Oilers are going to unionize anytime soon. They're likely employees of contractors (or self employed sub-contractors) who work to the prime company's specifications.

This is fine.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774574 is a reply to message #774564 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

That is what he's saying. Stauffer is literally being paid by the Oilers, and he acts like it. He'll spout whatever message the team wants him to tell.

Francis isn't actually paid by the Flames, but he's completely beholden to them and will say whatever they want him to say, whether that's attacking the mayor, denying that Tkachuk has ever done anything remotely dirty, or trying to assist them in their negotiations with players by taking the team's position and amplifying it.

In short, he's a hack.

Spector is a hack too - and he kowtows to the Oilers to a point, but he's not speaking with the voice of management in his mouth, and he's even occasionally said things that have rubbed the management the wrong way. Francis wouldn't ever do that since he has to ask the Flames what they want him to write before he picks up his pen.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774577 is a reply to message #774574 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 12:29

That is what he's saying. Stauffer is literally being paid by the Oilers, and he acts like it. He'll spout whatever message the team wants him to tell.

Francis isn't actually paid by the Flames, but he's completely beholden to them and will say whatever they want him to say, whether that's attacking the mayor, denying that Tkachuk has ever done anything remotely dirty, or trying to assist them in their negotiations with players by taking the team's position and amplifying it.

In short, he's a hack.

Spector is a hack too - and he kowtows to the Oilers to a point, but he's not speaking with the voice of management in his mouth, and he's even occasionally said things that have rubbed the management the wrong way. Francis wouldn't ever do that since he has to ask the Flames what they want him to write before he picks up his pen.

Spector is a bit of a hack and he can at times go off on a bit of a tangent. He has an opinion and he's not afraid to give that opinion even if it ruffles weathers which even though I don't agree with what he says a lot, at least he's not kissing the teams ass all the time like Francis. Maybe under the table Francis gets paid by the team to report what they want because he goes out of his way to kiss their ass. His takes on Lucic are laughable. If you don't want to create bad blood between he and Lucic and the team then go right ahead, don't carve them up but he goes on and on about how great that trade was.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774592 is a reply to message #773824 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

With the Rangers looking like they're faltering this season pretty badly, I wonder if they would be more interested now in trading one of their goalies. Maybe even moreso in a month if their results don't improve because it's going to be really hard to dig out of a big hole this year. If the Oilers were still in a playoff spot, would you deal a first round pick for one of those two guys, especially if they were to accept Mike Smith as part of that deal? A young guy who could be starter here for a decade seems more valuable to me than a mid-to-late first round pick.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774601 is a reply to message #774592 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 14:15

With the Rangers looking like they're faltering this season pretty badly, I wonder if they would be more interested now in trading one of their goalies. Maybe even moreso in a month if their results don't improve because it's going to be really hard to dig out of a big hole this year. If the Oilers were still in a playoff spot, would you deal a first round pick for one of those two guys, especially if they were to accept Mike Smith as part of that deal? A young guy who could be starter here for a decade seems more valuable to me than a mid-to-late first round pick.

If you are giving up a first, I'd rather try for one of the more proven guys from Columbus. For the Rangers, you better pick the right one if they are giving up a first and I am not sure either is a starter. Shesterkin has played 17 NHL games total. Georgiev has played 81.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774603 is a reply to message #774601 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 14:49

If you are giving up a first, I'd rather try for one of the more proven guys from Columbus. For the Rangers, you better pick the right one if they are giving up a first and I am not sure either is a starter. Shesterkin has played 17 NHL games total. Georgiev has played 81.

Columbus is 2nd in their division though. They are more likely to keep both of them in case they need them in the playoffs. There's nothing pushing them towards an in-season trade of either unless the wheels come off or they really want to improve another position - and the Oilers don't have the depth that they can make a trade where we give up someone good enough to bolster their defence or wings. If we dealt, say, Nugent-Hopkins for one of their goalies, our forward depth is eroded significantly.

Both Columbus and New York are somewhat fortunate in that they don't need to protect one of the guys for the expansion draft, so that's not a driver of a trade either.

If you're dealing with New York, it's because they're conceding that this is a development year, and they add another pick that they can build with in the future. They'd be committing to one of those guys as their go-forward starter and looking to back-fill with a back-up next summer.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774605 is a reply to message #774603 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 14:59

Columbus is 2nd in their division though. They are more likely to keep both of them in case they need them in the playoffs. There's nothing pushing them towards an in-season trade of either unless the wheels come off or they really want to improve another position - and the Oilers don't have the depth that they can make a trade where we give up someone good enough to bolster their defence or wings. If we dealt, say, Nugent-Hopkins for one of their goalies, our forward depth is eroded significantly.

Both Columbus and New York are somewhat fortunate in that they don't need to protect one of the guys for the expansion draft, so that's not a driver of a trade either.

If you're dealing with New York, it's because they're conceding that this is a development year, and they add another pick that they can build with in the future. They'd be committing to one of those guys as their go-forward starter and looking to back-fill with a back-up next summer.

I wasn't saying the trade would be easy but I am not comfortable giving up a first rounder for a guy who has 1.5 seasons of hockey under his belt and never been an NHL starter in Georgiev or a guy with 17 total games. I know the Oilers traded picks to get Talbot and he only had 57 games started but they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd as they swapped 7ths for him. A 2nd rounder is a maybe to play, a 3rd rounder is even less and at best you are probably 4 yrs from them being maybe an NHLer. A first rounder is supposed to be a given to play. Plus Talbot at a 1.64 & .941, then a 2.21 and a .926 stats.

Georgiev had 3.04 & .910 last year and a 2.91 & a .914. Shesterkin in 12 games was 2.52 & .936.

That's a BIG, expensive gamble.

[Updated on: Mon, 01 February 2021 16:17]

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774608 is a reply to message #774605 ]
Mon, 01 February 2021 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 15:57

I wasn't saying the trade would be easy but I am not comfortable giving up a first rounder for a guy who has 1.5 seasons of hockey under his belt and never been an NHL starter in Georgiev or a guy with 17 total games. I know the Oilers traded picks to get Talbot and he only had 57 games started but they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd as they swapped 7ths for him. A 2nd rounder is a maybe to play, a 3rd rounder is even less and at best you are probably 4 yrs from them being maybe an NHLer. A first rounder is supposed to be a given to play. Plus Talbot at a 1.64 & .941, then a 2.21 and a .926 stats.

Georgiev had 3.04 & .910 last year and a 2.91 & a .914. Shesterkin in 12 games was 2.52 & .936.

Both these guys have pretty strong pedigrees. The reason I'd give up more for them than for Talbot is that they're younger and than Talbot was when we got him, so you'd have more years of team control. If we could get them cheaper, I'd definitely be okay with that, but I think you do still have to make it worth New York's while to trade them. If it's just magic beans we're offering, then they're likely to just keep both - there's no gun to their head to make a deal.

I think there's a limited number of guys who are going to be available. It has to be a team who is out of the playoff picture, and has a goalie good enough to bother with. I'm not trading for the Ottawa guys, that's for sure.

There's a number of UFAs to be, but look who they are:

Rask - won't move, team is going to be in the playoffs
Andersen - team will be in the playoffs
Rinne - old, probably has lost his job and last couple seasons have been poor
Binnington - team is likely playoff bound
Dubnyk - old, broken and struggled last year
Raanta - possibility if Arizona is out, but never that good.
Reimer - meh. Carolina quite possibly in playoffs too
Grubauer - team will be in the playoffs
Mrazek - better than Reimer, likely in the playoffs
Bernier - no.
Hutton - meh.
Rittich - no.
Ullmark - maybe
Nilsson - been there, done that and TB will be in the playoffs
Halak - see Rask
Elliott - Philly likely in the playoffs, and he's also old.
Brossoit - not better than what we have.

So it's unlikely we're going to get someone who a team figures they're losing anyhow. So then you have teams who are possibly losing someone in the expansion draft. It's pretty slim pickings. Maybe you can get Talbot from Minny, or one of the guys from Vancouver, but there's not a lot that teams are going to lose there either.

So that really leaves us with teams with more than one good young goalie who aren't making the playoffs and who are likely to be motivated by more draft picks, since they suck and are building for the future anyhow. There's not very many of those - so I don't know who else you can even target outside of the Rangers' guys.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774625 is a reply to message #774608 ]
Tue, 02 February 2021 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 16:34

Both these guys have pretty strong pedigrees. The reason I'd give up more for them than for Talbot is that they're younger and than Talbot was when we got him, so you'd have more years of team control. If we could get them cheaper, I'd definitely be okay with that, but I think you do still have to make it worth New York's while to trade them. If it's just magic beans we're offering, then they're likely to just keep both - there's no gun to their head to make a deal.

I think there's a limited number of guys who are going to be available. It has to be a team who is out of the playoff picture, and has a goalie good enough to bother with. I'm not trading for the Ottawa guys, that's for sure.

Bernier - no.
Hutton - meh.
Rittich - no.
Ullmark - maybe
Halak - see Rask

So it's unlikely we're going to get someone who a team figures they're losing anyhow. So then you have teams who are possibly losing someone in the expansion draft. It's pretty slim pickings. Maybe you can get Talbot from Minny, or one of the guys from Vancouver, but there's not a lot that teams are going to lose there either.

So that really leaves us with teams with more than one good young goalie who aren't making the playoffs and who are likely to be motivated by more draft picks, since they suck and are building for the future anyhow. There's not very many of those - so I don't know who else you can even target outside of the Rangers' guys.

I am not saying no to the trade but that's a big ask in my books so you have to be really, really sure one of them can be a starter and be better than what you have. I don't count Smith in this conversation, I'm talking Koskinen. Koskinen is no world beater but in my opinion if you don't play like a complete gong show in front of him, he has shown he can give you decent goaltending and good enough to win. In giving up a first, you are in my opinion giving up a player who in maybe even 1-2 yrs is on your team contributing. So you better be sure.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774893 is a reply to message #774625 ]
Wed, 03 February 2021 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 02 February 2021 07:43

Adam wrote on Mon, 01 February 2021 16:34

Bernier - no.
Hutton - meh.
Rittich - no.
Ullmark - maybe
Halak - see Rask

I am not saying no to the trade but that's a big ask in my books so you have to be really, really sure one of them can be a starter and be better than what you have. I don't count Smith in this conversation, I'm talking Koskinen. Koskinen is no world beater but in my opinion if you don't play like a complete gong show in front of him, he has shown he can give you decent goaltending and good enough to win. In giving up a first, you are in my opinion giving up a player who in maybe even 1-2 yrs is on your team contributing. So you better be sure.

I'm with RDO in the sense that if you give up a first with the value that ELC deals have in what's gonna be a flat cap situation over the next couple years, it's gotta be a more established guy coming back.

If I'm the Oilers, I'm looking at who needs the pick the most, has struggled out of the gate and overvalues the pick and to me that's AZ. They don't have a first round pick, they're currently 4th last in the league and they need to rebuild through the draft.

Kuemper is carrying a .904% on a bad AZ team but he's a perfect #1 when given a good 1B guy to ride shot gun. If you give up a first and Russell straight up for Kuemper, the cap hits cross eachother out with minimal real dollars on Russell and you can then re-sign Koekkoek (to ensure you meet the expansion draft compliance).

Of course Russell has a limited NTC (15 teams), so if AZ was vetoed at the start of the year, then this is all for not.

To EDM:

- Kuemper

To AZ:

- Russell
- 2021 1st (lottery protected)

The Yotes get to save $2 million in real dollars and get a first round pick. Oilers get stability in goal for the next 2 years with both Koskinen and Kuemper's deals expiring at the same time. The pick will likely be in the 20-30 range.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774899 is a reply to message #774592 ]
Wed, 03 February 2021 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I'd be tempted. Does anyone know how deep the draft is this year compared to others? If the Oilers are in the playoffs, that a mid-round selection.

It's tough, because I wouldn't trade Yamamoto or Bouchard for one of them. But I probably would trade Broberg and certainly would trade Holloway for one of them. I don't know if you can say those latter two are greater prospects than those Rangers goalies. Given Holland's first round history probably makes me more inclined to move the pick, if I'm being honest.

But you'd hate to get it wrong and give up a Yamamoto for a Talbot.

Wonder if the NYR would be interested in Holloway outright.

Also wondering if Ilya Konovalov might be a darkhorse prospect. Probably needs some time in the AHL, and the KHL stats are ridiculously favourable to goalies. But he compares well with some of the other Russian goalies entering the league with some hype right now (and so far not living up to the hype).

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2021 14:34]

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774907 is a reply to message #774899 ]
Wed, 03 February 2021 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 03 February 2021 13:32

I'd be tempted. Does anyone know how deep the draft is this year compared to others? If the Oilers are in the playoffs, that a mid-round selection.

It's tough, because I wouldn't trade Yamamoto or Bouchard for one of them. But I probably would trade Broberg and certainly would trade Holloway for one of them. I don't know if you can say those latter two are greater prospects than those Rangers goalies. Given Holland's first round history probably makes me more inclined to move the pick, if I'm being honest.

Also wondering if Ilya Konovalov might be a darkhorse prospect. Probably needs some time in the AHL, and the KHL stats are ridiculously favourable to goalies. But he compares well with some of the other Russian goalies entering the league with some hype right now (and so far not living up to the hype).

That's an excellent question. The major swing factor here is that if there's no OHL season for instance, are they going to allow an NHL draft to occur? Some guys would be going off of scouting reports from February 2020. So if you're drafting outside the top 3 (consensus is Powers, Neighbors and someone else if I recall), you may get a guy at 20 who turns out is the caliber of a top 5 pick.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774922 is a reply to message #774907 ]
Wed, 03 February 2021 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 03 February 2021 14:58

That's an excellent question. The major swing factor here is that if there's no OHL season for instance, are they going to allow an NHL draft to occur? Some guys would be going off of scouting reports from February 2020. So if you're drafting outside the top 3 (consensus is Powers, Neighbors and someone else if I recall), you may get a guy at 20 who turns out is the caliber of a top 5 pick.

That's a really big if - you could get someone who might have slotted in 50th otherwise at #20 too. It's a challenging year to draft for certain, so there's more risk to the pick.

I wouldn't NOT make a move because I thought in 2-3 years Konovalov might be an option. The fact is, you need multiple goalies, and he'd be cheap coming in, so it is a best case scenario that you have a young guy pushing the guy you have.

I'm a little more willing to bet on potential for one of the young Russians, because they do have decent track records, even if they aren't long on NHL experience, and because you'd get a guy who has a lot of years under team control.

Compare that to Kuemper and you have a guy who's 30 and a UFA next year. I think that's worth less. Honestly, I'd take either, and I'd probably surrender the first for either. I am not overly sentimental about giving up draft picks after the first half of the first round. Generally, they're going to take a long time to arrive, and if you can patch a significant hole now, then they're generally worth the risk. Case in point - Trevor Lewis and Milan Lucic turned in to pretty good hockey players, but would you have rather had those picks or the 2006 Stanley Cup run? For me, I want the chance to win, rather than the chance that one of those guys turns in to a better than normal return several years down the road.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774932 is a reply to message #774922 ]
Wed, 03 February 2021 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 February 2021 17:13

mazankowski wrote on Wed, 03 February 2021 14:58

That's a really big if - you could get someone who might have slotted in 50th otherwise at #20 too. It's a challenging year to draft for certain, so there's more risk to the pick.

I wouldn't NOT make a move because I thought in 2-3 years Konovalov might be an option. The fact is, you need multiple goalies, and he'd be cheap coming in, so it is a best case scenario that you have a young guy pushing the guy you have.

I'm a little more willing to bet on potential for one of the young Russians, because they do have decent track records, even if they aren't long on NHL experience, and because you'd get a guy who has a lot of years under team control.

Compare that to Kuemper and you have a guy who's 30 and a UFA next year. I think that's worth less. Honestly, I'd take either, and I'd probably surrender the first for either. I am not overly sentimental about giving up draft picks after the first half of the first round. Generally, they're going to take a long time to arrive, and if you can patch a significant hole now, then they're generally worth the risk. Case in point - Trevor Lewis and Milan Lucic turned in to pretty good hockey players, but would you have rather had those picks or the 2006 Stanley Cup run? For me, I want the chance to win, rather than the chance that one of those guys turns in to a better than normal return several years down the road.

Honestly, though we don’t have a 2nd, 3rd or 5th this year, I see Holland moving the 1st a couple weeks before the deadline for a push. I say that timeframe as it’ll be from an eastern American team and he’ll need to quarantine.

Unless we’re out of it. Then he’ll move Nuge for a 1st + to an eastern American team and we’ll be playing armchair GM for the draft yet again.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #774921 is a reply to message #774899 ]
Wed, 03 February 2021 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 03 February 2021 14:32

We have differing opinions on Broberg and Holloway. I think Broberg is going to be a very good dman real soon. If the world comes back to some sort of normal, I see Broberg in the AHL next season and maybe on the Oilers roster before the end of next season. He's a modern day dman.

Holloway, I bet he signs a deal after this year in college and will be in the AHL next season. He's skilled, fast, aggressive, has some size, great on faceoffs. 16 pts in 10 games and barely 19 in college where you are mostly going up against guys way older.

I'd be more inclined to trade the first in this years draft over one of those 2. I think this past draft was maybe the last year we see the Oilers drafting any higher than late teens or in the 20's.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775086 is a reply to message #774921 ]
Sat, 06 February 2021 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Holloway is destroying the college ranks right now, give home the year or two to over ripen and I think he's a player.

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775391 is a reply to message #775086 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Stauffer was just talking about Koskinen and how he's not a goalie who can play over 55-60 games which I think most teams have moved away from wanting their "starter" to do. He then brought up Gibson as a comparison who could do that.

So the Oilers are going after Gibson because Bob decided of all the goalies to bring him up. So what's the package? icon_lol

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775393 is a reply to message #775391 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 12:26

Stauffer was just talking about Koskinen and how he's not a goalie who can play over 55-60 games which I think most teams have moved away from wanting their "starter" to do. He then brought up Gibson as a comparison who could do that.

So the Oilers are going after Gibson because Bob decided of all the goalies to bring him up. So what's the package? icon_lol

Knowing Edmonton? Nuge and a 1st.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775394 is a reply to message #775393 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 12:30

Honestly, that's an underpay :)

We're clearly desperate, Ducks are rebuilding. Gibson is one of the best goalies in the league hidden behind a garbage team.

Probably would want a 1st and a really good prospect. Broberg/Holloway + 1st. Probably still not enough. Ducks likely think they just need to add a bit to their roster and get rolling since they already have a good #1 goalie. Would be kinda dumb for them to trade Gibson.

One of these days we're really gonna need to figure out how to draft a goalie. Or to scout and trade for a good goalie that isn't established yet. Good established goalies usually only shake loose when they are on the decline, or 1-2 years away from it.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 February 2021 12:36]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775402 is a reply to message #775394 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 12:32

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 12:30

We're clearly desperate, Ducks are rebuilding. Gibson is one of the best goalies in the league hidden behind a garbage team.

Probably would want a 1st and a really good prospect. Broberg/Holloway + 1st. Probably still not enough. Ducks likely think they just need to add a bit to their roster and get rolling since they already have a good #1 goalie. Would be kinda dumb for them to trade Gibson.

One of these days we're really gonna need to figure out how to draft a goalie. Or to scout and trade for a good goalie that isn't established yet. Good established goalies usually only shake loose when they are on the decline, or 1-2 years away from it.

I would do Broberg, 1st and maybe James Neal to even up the dollars. Gibson is very good, and on a very bad team. Trading him would allow the Ducks to compete with Ottawa for the top lottery odds - which is the only reason they do that deal. They'd be throwing in the towel on at least the next 2-3 years in order to restock the cupboards.

Gibson is 27 and inked long-term at a not-unreasonable price. He'd be worth going hard for.

Young defencemen is an area of strength for the team, so it's the most natural place to give up something.

Nuge isn't going to get it done. He doesn't help them to crater, and he's a UFA at season's end. If they're doing this deal, they'd prefer to have James Neal.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775407 is a reply to message #775402 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 12:09

I would do Broberg, 1st and maybe James Neal to even up the dollars. Gibson is very good, and on a very bad team. Trading him would allow the Ducks to compete with Ottawa for the top lottery odds - which is the only reason they do that deal. They'd be throwing in the towel on at least the next 2-3 years in order to restock the cupboards.

Gibson is 27 and inked long-term at a not-unreasonable price. He'd be worth going hard for.

Young defencemen is an area of strength for the team, so it's the most natural place to give up something.

Nuge isn't going to get it done. He doesn't help them to crater, and he's a UFA at season's end. If they're doing this deal, they'd prefer to have James Neal.

Ya, Woodguy tweeted about this yesterday, which is probably where Stauffer got the idea.

Quote:

Assume ANA had decided to go full Tambellini style re-build and would trade Gibson for good futures.

You are GM of EDM and they offer to do the deal for 2021 1st, their choice of Bear/Bouchard/Broberg + their choice of Lavoie/Holloway. (assume they take Kosi+ to make $ work)

I probably wouldn't do it with Bouchard included, and I'd have to think harder about Holloway than Lavoie, but a package of Broberg, 1st + Lavoie I would do and I wouldn't think twice. Gibson makes them an instant playoff team and, if the D continues to evolve, a Cup contender in the next couple of years.

Bouchard has a skill set that I don't think is replicated by anyone else on the team right now, and he makes the team better today (Bear also, but with a lower ceiling), so I wouldn't be moving him.

Other than that, why wouldn't you do this deal? McDavid is off to a historic start, and Drai isn't far behind and the team is below .500.

https://twitter.com/Woodguy55/status/1358461888644829187?s=2 0

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775410 is a reply to message #775407 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 13:34

Ya, Woodguy tweeted about this yesterday, which is probably where Stauffer got the idea.

Quote:

Assume ANA had decided to go full Tambellini style re-build and would trade Gibson for good futures.

You are GM of EDM and they offer to do the deal for 2021 1st, their choice of Bear/Bouchard/Broberg + their choice of Lavoie/Holloway. (assume they take Kosi+ to make $ work)

I probably wouldn't do it with Bouchard included, and I'd have to think harder about Holloway than Lavoie, but a package of Broberg, 1st + Lavoie I would do and I wouldn't think twice. Gibson makes them an instant playoff team and, if the D continues to evolve, a Cup contender in the next couple of years.

Bouchard has a skill set that I don't think is replicated by anyone else on the team right now, and he makes the team better today (Bear also, but with a lower ceiling), so I wouldn't be moving him.

Other than that, why wouldn't you do this deal? McDavid is off to a historic start, and Drai isn't far behind and the team is below .500.

Yeah - I saw the Woodguy posts. Agreed that I wouldn't give the options to them. Our current defence isn't strong enough that you can afford to weaken it by giving up Bear or Bouchard, but Broberg or Samorukov are certainly in play. Holloway looks great so far this year, but if I can get a starter who'll be the guy through McDavid's prime years? I'm parting with him in a heartbeat.

We owe it to our top guys to do something to put them in a position to win. Koskinen/Smith is just handicapping the team.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775413 is a reply to message #775410 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 14:24

Quote:

Yeah - I saw the Woodguy posts. Agreed that I wouldn't give the options to them. Our current defence isn't strong enough that you can afford to weaken it by giving up Bear or Bouchard, but Broberg or Samorukov are certainly in play. Holloway looks great so far this year, but if I can get a starter who'll be the guy through McDavid's prime years? I'm parting with him in a heartbeat.

We owe it to our top guys to do something to put them in a position to win. Koskinen/Smith is just handicapping the team.

I wouldn't give up Bear or Bouchard in a Gibson trade. You need dmen who can play now. Bear is for sure one of their right shot guy in their top 4 and I think Bouchard could maybe be the other by the end of the year, for sure to start next year.

I'd throw in Jones in a trade if you had too.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775414 is a reply to message #775410 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Quote:

Holloway's value is high right now because of his performance at Michigan but let's not forget he's playing with Caufield. Could capitalize on his perceived value. After being underwhelming at the WJ's versus other elite talent I would do it.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775416 is a reply to message #775414 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 14:43

Quote:

Holloway's value is high right now because of his performance at Michigan but let's not forget he's playing with Caufield. Could capitalize on his perceived value. After being underwhelming at the WJ's versus other elite talent I would do it.

The Oilers as a team lack any players who plays with any kind of tenacity, especially those who have any kind of speed, size or offensive skill. I would say the player who shows the most tenacity capable of playing in the top 6 is Yamamoto who's 5'8, 153 lbs with maybe his gear on. JP looks like he might be able to do that as well and he's big. But I would be very, very reluctant to be trading away a 6'1, 203 lbs, skates like the wind, offensively skilled, who's scoring almost 2 pts per game, who can play center or wing. He's supposedly over 60% on faceoffs.

Re: 2021 - Speculation ‘round the League [message #775417 is a reply to message #775416 ]
Mon, 08 February 2021 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 08 February 2021 13:53

The Oilers as a team lack any players who plays with any kind of tenacity, especially those who have any kind of speed, size or offensive skill. I would say the player who shows the most tenacity capable of playing in the top 6 is Yamamoto who's 5'8, 153 lbs with maybe his gear on. JP looks like he might be able to do that as well and he's big. But I would be very, very reluctant to be trading away a 6'1, 203 lbs, skates like the wind, offensively skilled, who's scoring almost 2 pts per game, who can play center or wing. He's supposedly over 60% on faceoffs.

I don't disagree that Holloway is trending the right way and could be very good, but where is this team going without goaltending? Gibson is about as good as they come right now and he's 27.

This is all just internet speculation, so if you can get him without including Holloway then of course don't offer him up front. Or, as Adam suggested earlier, you can go after a less established goalie that will cost you less, but there's a reasonable amount of uncertainty in that route. And if you miss on that, how many more years of McDavid/Drai in their prime have you now burned?

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Pages (8): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]  
Next Topic:The Seattle expansion.
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca