This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768521]
Thu, 15 October 2020 09:02 Go to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

The WHL announces start up planned date for 2020-21.

https://whl.ca/article/western-hockey-league-announces-openi ng-date-for-2020-21-regular-season.

"The Western Hockey League Board of Governors announced today the WHL Regular Season is scheduled to open on Friday, January 8, 2021.

The WHL continues to work with each of the Governments and Health Authorities in the Provinces and States in Western Canada and the U.S. Pacific Northwest, respectively, on obtaining the necessary approvals to commence play. Details regarding the schedule of games in each of the four WHL Divisions will be announced at a later date.

The WHL has agreed that all Regular Season games during the 2020-21 season will be played exclusively within the boundaries of each of the four Divisions, with the East Division consisting of the seven Saskatchewan and Manitoba-based teams; the Central Division consisting of the five Alberta-based teams; the B.C. Division consisting of the five B.C.-based teams; and the U.S. Division consisting of the five teams located in Washington and Oregon."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768548 is a reply to message #768521 ]
Thu, 15 October 2020 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 15 October 2020 09:02

https://whl.ca/article/western-hockey-league-announces-openi ng-date-for-2020-21-regular-season.

"The Western Hockey League Board of Governors announced today the WHL Regular Season is scheduled to open on Friday, January 8, 2021.

The WHL continues to work with each of the Governments and Health Authorities in the Provinces and States in Western Canada and the U.S. Pacific Northwest, respectively, on obtaining the necessary approvals to commence play. Details regarding the schedule of games in each of the four WHL Divisions will be announced at a later date.

The WHL has agreed that all Regular Season games during the 2020-21 season will be played exclusively within the boundaries of each of the four Divisions, with the East Division consisting of the seven Saskatchewan and Manitoba-based teams; the Central Division consisting of the five Alberta-based teams; the B.C. Division consisting of the five B.C.-based teams; and the U.S. Division consisting of the five teams located in Washington and Oregon."

Raiders vs Blades games are going to be fantastic. They hated each other last year and they only played eight times over the complete schedule.

Interested to find out how they’ll handle fans. I’m a season ticket holder of the Raiders and they have roughly 70% of the seats sold to other season ticket holders.

Who gets to go? No box office tickets? As of right now they aren’t saying anything and my playoff tickets from last year haven’t been fully refunded.

Interesting times.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768597 is a reply to message #768548 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 15 October 2020 18:32

Raiders vs Blades games are going to be fantastic. They hated each other last year and they only played eight times over the complete schedule.

Interested to find out how they’ll handle fans. I’m a season ticket holder of the Raiders and they have roughly 70% of the seats sold to other season ticket holders.

Who gets to go? No box office tickets? As of right now they aren’t saying anything and my playoff tickets from last year haven’t been fully refunded.

Interesting times.

Not sure how a lot of these leagues no matter the sport....those without the huge broadcast contracts anyway....sustain the business model without paying fans in the seats, low to zero ticket and concession revenues.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768598 is a reply to message #768597 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 09:11

Interesting times.

Not sure how a lot of these leagues no matter the sport....those without the huge broadcast contracts anyway....sustain the business model without paying fans in the seats, low to zero ticket and concession revenues.

At least the player cost for WHL is almost nothing too.

Maybe they need to move to small arenas for these games if there's no fans? The cost of those big facilities is probably the largest expense...although who knows, maybe they are tied in by those leases no matter what...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768603 is a reply to message #768598 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 11:03

Interesting times.

Maybe they need to move to small arenas for these games if there's no fans? The cost of those big facilities is probably the largest expense...although who knows, maybe they are tied in by those leases no matter what...

Has there even been a public release of major junior costs? I'd be curious to know what player costs (feeding, housing, college, per diems) actually cost the teams as a percentage of revenue.

This is fine.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768620 is a reply to message #768603 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 13:10

Adam wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 11:03

Interesting times.

Has there even been a public release of major junior costs? I'd be curious to know what player costs (feeding, housing, college, per diems) actually cost the teams as a percentage of revenue.

I know they generate a lot of their revenue from tickets sales. Raiders probably have the smallest barn in the league but survive because of a great fan base and a bunch of degenerate drunks. We like to get at’er at games.

Having drafted players also is an income source. The Sharks and the Canadians will pump money into the team to help develop Weisblatt and Guhle. The unfortunate side of that money is the NHL team will impose their will from time to time. For example, Draisaitl to Kelowna was a forced deal by MacTavish. Terrible return, but the alternative was Edmonton keeping him in the NHL. Oilers played chicken with a small Dub team and set them back a few years. Leon should’ve got us a kings ransom in prospects and bantam picks.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768623 is a reply to message #768620 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 18:59

a great fan base and a bunch of degenerate drunks. We like to get at’er at games.

Can confirm. A couple decades back I dated a girl who had two brothers who played for the Raiders. I saw them play in most WHL rinks and the fans in PA were both fantastic and the drunkest!

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768624 is a reply to message #768623 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 21:08

a great fan base and a bunch of degenerate drunks. We like to get at’er at games.

Can confirm. A couple decades back I dated a girl who had two brothers who played for the Raiders. I saw them play in most WHL rinks and the fans in PA were both fantastic and the drunkest!

Did you date Mike Modano’s ex? Only brothers I can think offhand are Jeff and Todd Nelson.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768646 is a reply to message #768624 ]
Tue, 20 October 2020 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 22:09

Did you date Mike Modano’s ex? Only brothers I can think offhand are Jeff and Todd Nelson.

Nope, not Modano's ex. The Kress bothers played there. The younger only for one season before he went to Everett

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768670 is a reply to message #768646 ]
Tue, 20 October 2020 15:50 Go to previous message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 20 October 2020 10:21

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 22:09

Nope, not Modano's ex. The Kress bothers played there. The younger only for one season before he went to Everett

The other story would have been better, but the moral of the story...win or lose, PA drinks the booze.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768625 is a reply to message #768597 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

Interesting times.

WHL, like the OHL, is very much a two-tiered league. The big pocket owners (Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, etc) will barely notice any losses. The small market owners (PA, Swift Current, Mosse Jaw, Lethbridge, Med Hat, etc) will probably get hit hard. Company that owns Portland has already gone bankrupt (but that team is a money machine so no worries).

NHL may help out. Lord knows they love the free development.

Re: WHL (2020)-2021 schedule plans announced [message #768629 is a reply to message #768625 ]
Mon, 19 October 2020 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 19 October 2020 22:17

Interesting times.

WHL, like the OHL, is very much a two-tiered league. The big pocket owners (Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, Regina, etc) will barely notice any losses. The small market owners (PA, Swift Current, Mosse Jaw, Lethbridge, Med Hat, etc) will probably get hit hard. Company that owns Portland has already gone bankrupt (but that team is a money machine so no worries).

NHL may help out. Lord knows they love the free development.

I think the NHL needs to help out. The CHL has been the number one feeder for NHL forever.

I can speak for the Raiders. Their Mem Cup season took home a $633,314 profit. They still have a great team and approximately 2,000 season ticket holders in a 3,000 seat rink. This COVID killed a likely couple rounds of playoff hockey in 2020 and it will cost them again this season even if they can play a full season.

The team depends on their fans, beer sales and lastly merchandise. The prior 5-6 years had us either making $50-$60k or losing $125k. That’s the difference of keeping a couple employees or losing more than a couple every season.

Tough business.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 October 2020 23:26]

Previous Topic:Samorukov Loaned to KHL for 2020-21
Next Topic:2020 NHL Draft
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca