This day on November 29
None

Happy Birthday To: Lew19, Houndtown, aheadby1, rwilford, Lucky Luc 20, onintwo, Gimmetrades

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » RNH Contract Extension Making ProgressPages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767372]
Thu, 01 October 2020 09:29 Go to next message
MJ is currently online MJ

2 Cups

Just got the push alert from my phone via The Score app.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2032755/report-oilers-nuge nt-hopkins-making-progress-on-long-term-extension

Not a load of details in the article, but figured it's a worthy topic of discussion.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767385 is a reply to message #767372 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

Good to hear. I've always liked Nuge, and think he's one of the more underrated players in the league.
Wonder what the numbers are looking like on that contract. I imagine a small increase from his current contract? Maybe 6.5 per?

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767387 is a reply to message #767385 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

I am hoping for a contract with a 6 in it per year. Maybe a slight increase from what he was making so 6.5 like was suggested. Up until the last 2 season, as much as I like Nuge, he was overpaid. Plus it's pretty apparent that he's a winger who can moonlight as a centers. Wingers makes less than centers.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767388 is a reply to message #767385 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Thu, 01 October 2020 10:50

I've always liked Nuge, and think he's one of the more underrated players in the league.
Wonder what the numbers are looking like on that contract. I imagine a small increase from his current contract? Maybe 6.5 per?

I tend to think he's underrated around the NHL and overrated in Edmonton.

If they can get him close to his current number, it would be great to have him here. He's really evolved in a very reliable and complete player when he can stay healthy.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767403 is a reply to message #767388 ]
Thu, 01 October 2020 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

I am hoping $7M'ish per annum over 5 and getting cheaper with every extra year.

I would not be offended by a 7/7/7/7/7/6.75/6.5/6 = 6.78M Cap hit

Maybe work the numbers so he is more tradeable in the last few years of the deal.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767540 is a reply to message #767372 ]
Sun, 04 October 2020 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 01 October 2020 09:29

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2032755/report-oilers-nuge nt-hopkins-making-progress-on-long-term-extension

Not a load of details in the article, but figured it's a worthy topic of discussion.

Nuge is going to fall victim to the covid flat cap. .733 ppg for a career, look at the contemporaries and his long term 3rd contract would probably be in the mid 7 mill, regardless of playing center or wing. I don't think his 6 mill aav deal was an overpay, the concern to me was never production or what he did on the ice, it was availabilty to play.

If you're going to replace RNH and everything he brings to your club, as a GM and a fan you have to ask yourself what that is going to cost you in possible assets and salary.

I was hoping for something to skirt around protecting him for the expansion draft, but other than that we're probably going to be looking at an aav increase of I'm hoping 1 mil or less.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767541 is a reply to message #767540 ]
Sun, 04 October 2020 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 13:58

Nuge is going to fall victim to the covid flat cap. .733 ppg for a career, look at the contemporaries and his long term 3rd contract would probably be in the mid 7 mill, regardless of playing center or wing. I don't think his 6 mill aav deal was an overpay, the concern to me was never production or what he did on the ice, it was availabilty to play.

If you're going to replace RNH and everything he brings to your club, as a GM and a fan you have to ask yourself what that is going to cost you in possible assets and salary.

I was hoping for something to skirt around protecting him for the expansion draft, but other than that we're probably going to be looking at an aav increase of I'm hoping 1 mil or less.

7M long term sounds right. Only wild card I guess is if Nuge wants to test the market. I don't really see it. He seems really comfortable with the Oilers, and I'd bet he wants to keep hoping he can do something good here. I say that just based on all these years of watching him, his interviews. I never see much of that frustration from him. The impatience, or feeling like he's wasting his career. Maybe that could be a knock on him for some, but in this situation that personality is pretty helpful for keeping him :)

COuldn't see any opposition from management or coaches to keep him either. Guy seems to be loved and trusted by every coach he plays for.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767543 is a reply to message #767541 ]
Sun, 04 October 2020 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 14:26

K.McC#24 wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 13:58

7M long term sounds right. Only wild card I guess is if Nuge wants to test the market. I don't really see it. He seems really comfortable with the Oilers, and I'd bet he wants to keep hoping he can do something good here. I say that just based on all these years of watching him, his interviews. I never see much of that frustration from him. The impatience, or feeling like he's wasting his career. Maybe that could be a knock on him for some, but in this situation that personality is pretty helpful for keeping him :)

COuldn't see any opposition from management or coaches to keep him either. Guy seems to be loved and trusted by every coach he plays for.

I'd be telling him that we're willing to do a shorter deal at a higher number or a longer one with a lower one (maybe with some front-loading). It would be great to keep him at pretty near the same dollar that he was at - and if he wanted a really long deal, maybe even a little less.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767547 is a reply to message #767372 ]
Sun, 04 October 2020 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I find it odd that the Hall talk isn’t dying down. I would not be surprised, okay a bit, that Taylor signs a short term discount contract back to Edmonton.

Left shot. Black tape. Left side.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767549 is a reply to message #767547 ]
Sun, 04 October 2020 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 18:17

I find it odd that the Hall talk isn’t dying down. I would not be surprised, okay a bit, that Taylor signs a short term discount contract back to Edmonton.

Ugh, now you're making me dread Friday.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767555 is a reply to message #767549 ]
Sun, 04 October 2020 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 19:20

Is that the timeline? When are qualifying offers due?

I didn't even realize until this weekend that the draft was Tuesday.

I do look forward to you falling in love with Taylor Hall all over again...haha.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks #FireTheGretzkys #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767556 is a reply to message #767555 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 22:33

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 04 October 2020 19:20

Is that the timeline? When are qualifying offers due?

I didn't even realize until this weekend that the draft was Tuesday.

I do look forward to you falling in love with Taylor Hall all over again...haha.

https://twitter.com/azorcanglobal/status/1312812719838437376 ?s=21

Paul Almeida tossing this out there. If you could trade our 1st with Neal and use the money to sign Hall.....Would you?

Tempting.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 October 2020 11:40]

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767574 is a reply to message #767372 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

I didn't hear it, but this is apparently what Seravelli said on 1260 this morning:

Quote:

@akaRCN: Seravalli says his belief is EDM opened Nuge contract talks *pre-pandemic* at $6.25M while Nuge's ask was $8M. (TSN1260)

I think they probably land somewhere around $7M long-term, which I think is pretty fair for the both sides. If it's above $7.5M, that would be getting a bit rich for my taste.

https://twitter.com/akaRCN/status/1313106761851629568?s=20

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767575 is a reply to message #767574 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 11:22

I didn't hear it, but this is apparently what Seravelli said on 1260 this morning:

Quote:

@akaRCN: Seravalli says his belief is EDM opened Nuge contract talks *pre-pandemic* at $6.25M while Nuge's ask was $8M. (TSN1260)

I think they probably land somewhere around $7M long-term, which I think is pretty fair for the both sides. If it's above $7.5M, that would be getting a bit rich for my taste.

I'm a big fan of Nuge but if he thinks he's an 8 mill player, no offense to him or his agent but that's insane. Take him away from McDavid or Leon and he struggles to score 50 pts. I get that linemates help players production but 8 mill players don't struggle to score 50 pts on their own line. His last season where he played exclusively on his own line, he had 43 pts and 82 games.

I would be totally fine with 6.5 mill, if you flirt with 7 I could stomach it but 7 or more is too much. While a real good player, if a team wants to give Nuge over 7, have at it but I think they will be regretting it as the numbers won't be there without putting him on a line with an elite player.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767576 is a reply to message #767575 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 11:42

Quote:

I'm a big fan of Nuge but if he thinks he's an 8 mill player, no offense to him or his agent but that's insane. Take him away from McDavid or Leon and he struggles to score 50 pts. I get that linemates help players production but 8 mill players don't struggle to score 50 pts on their own line. His last season where he played exclusively on his own line, he had 43 pts and 82 games.

I would be totally fine with 6.5 mill, if you flirt with 7 I could stomach it but 7 or more is too much. While a real good player, if a team wants to give Nuge over 7, have at it but I think they will be regretting it as the numbers won't be there without putting him on a line with an elite player.

Seems like pretty standard negotiating. If he's coming in at 8, and we're around 6, I think you're on track for something around 7. Get it done!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767577 is a reply to message #767575 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The post covid Salary numbers are going to be very interesting because they’ll be entirely made up. RNH being paid 8 million doesn’t mean he’ll get 8 million. He’ll probably lose all of the increase escrow money amount and will likely end up owing the owners money.

The players know this and will negotiate accordingly.

This is fine.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767578 is a reply to message #767577 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

What’s the rush from a team stand point. In a week we will have some COVID UFA signings and the market will be hopefully be reset.

If Hall signs for 6-7M somewhere then that drives down Nuge’s bargaining power. At least in theory.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767579 is a reply to message #767578 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 12:47

What’s the rush from a team stand point. In a week we will have some COVID UFA signings and the market will be hopefully be reset.

If Hall signs for 6-7M somewhere then that drives down Nuge’s bargaining power. At least in theory.

Not sure what the players would actually think they can achieve trying to run up their contracts to make up for escrow too. There is no increase of cap space around the league and lots of quality RFA's still to sign. It's more limited than ever. If you don't act quick to fit yourself on a good team, I guess you can have fun trying to get on a bottom feeder.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767580 is a reply to message #767578 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

It's true that there's no rush. You certainly want a feel for UFA rates in the new normal before committing long term. If Nuge wants to re-sign here you do your best to make it happen because any replacement player will be inferior. Turns 28 around the end of next season and he isn't a crash/bang player so he should be productive into his early thirties. 4-5 years at $7-7.3?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767622 is a reply to message #767580 ]
Mon, 05 October 2020 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 13:07

It's true that there's no rush. You certainly want a feel for UFA rates in the new normal before committing long term. If Nuge wants to re-sign here you do your best to make it happen because any replacement player will be inferior. Turns 28 around the end of next season and he isn't a crash/bang player so he should be productive into his early thirties. 4-5 years at $7-7.3?

I know it's scary to play chicken with deadlines on players but if Nuge really wants to be here and the Oilers really want him to be here too - I wouldn't be too scared to hold until after next year's expansion draft.

I suspect the player agent would feel that was a dangerous move - if he were to have a bad season, the team would have nothing to compel them to move forward at that dollar figure. If you can get the team to lock in, you do it. For the team, you would have to trust the player, and you're running the same risk. If he scores 35 this year, you're paying more for him. But man, that extra spot in the expansion draft is pretty tempting.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767632 is a reply to message #767622 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Maybe Holland coming out and saying that Nuge is a priority and they want to keep him but there is no rush is him telegraphing that they will negotiate a contract but leave it in the drawer until the expansion draft is over.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767633 is a reply to message #767632 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

$6M/yr over 5 years sounds fair to me

Let's go Brandon!! #FJB

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767634 is a reply to message #767633 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 09:45

I would be all over that contract. He was overpaid for most of his last contract so maybe he does the Oilers a solid but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767635 is a reply to message #767634 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 10:06

I would be all over that contract. He was overpaid for most of his last contract so maybe he does the Oilers a solid but that is probably wishful thinking on my part.

I can’t imagine Nuge would go for it.

This is fine.

camp prRe: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767641 is a reply to message #767634 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The RNH camp likely counters that line of thinking by stating how the Oilers previous regime placed a great emphasis on a defensive role, rather than gravy zone starts. I don't have the information at hand, but I my recollection prior to his success with Drai and Yam was a penalty killer and defensive consciousness. Not always successful, but our best bet. Nuge camp will say that his numbers took the hit as of a result of being put in a lesser position to succeed offensively. The Nuge you see now is a scoring forward that is a Swiss Army knife and can play any position, situation or line that needs helps.

Re: camp prRe: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767642 is a reply to message #767641 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 10:59

The RNH camp likely counters that line of thinking by stating how the Oilers previous regime placed a great emphasis on a defensive role, rather than gravy zone starts. I don't have the information at hand, but I my recollection prior to his success with Drai and Yam was a penalty killer and defensive consciousness. Not always successful, but our best bet. Nuge camp will say that his numbers took the hit as of a result of being put in a lesser position to succeed offensively. The Nuge you see now is a scoring forward that is a Swiss Army knife and can play any position, situation or line that needs helps.

For most of his contract he was the Oilers top center getting all the premium offensive stats, #1 PP time and his linemates where Hall, a #1 overall pick and league MVP and Eberle who when he was with Nuge was a consistent mid 20's - 30 (one year 34 goals) 60+ pt winger and all he could muster was a up until recently career high 56 pts.

You can fault the Oilers for his linemates in maybe the 17-18 season but what excuse does he have when he had Hall and Eberle? How much better of a winger can any player expect to have than Hall other than maybe Ovie?

Re: camp prRe: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767643 is a reply to message #767642 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 11:05

For most of his contract he was the Oilers top center getting all the premium offensive stats, #1 PP time and his linemates where Hall, a #1 overall pick and league MVP and Eberle who when he was with Nuge was a consistent mid 20's - 30 (one year 34 goals) 60+ pt winger and all he could muster was a up until recently career high 56 pts.

You can fault the Oilers for his linemates in maybe the 17-18 season but what excuse does he have when he had Hall and Eberle? How much better of a winger can any player expect to have than Hall other than maybe Ovie?

devil's advocate. Argument #2. Recency bias. The Nuge camp says forget the past....Look at me now. Hard to argue.

Re: camp prRe: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767644 is a reply to message #767643 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 11:21

devil's advocate. Argument #2. Recency bias. The Nuge camp says forget the past....Look at me now. Hard to argue.

Worked for Kassian!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: camp prRe: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767645 is a reply to message #767643 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

He played with one of McDavid or Leon, both of whom are Art Ross winning, Hart and Lindsay winning centers. I get what you are saying but how can any agent or the player say with any sort of honesty that his stats aren't somewhat inflated because of them. Take him off their line and he's a 50 pt player at best. You don't have to look long ago to prove that. So he's a 50 pt player who is lucky enough to have chance to play with 2 of the top 5 centers in the league who can do things and get him the puck in ways that the majority of players in the NHL can't do. Take him off the Oilers and put him on just about every other team and he's not scoring 70+ points. That's reality.

Re: camp prRe: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767646 is a reply to message #767643 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Also - Nugent-Hopkins knows that all he has to do is have another good season (one in which he still is likely playing with either Draisaitl or McDavid) and then he can get paid by someone else instead and the Oilers would struggle to find a replacement level player for less than that.

There's risk to him in waiting for a deal, but at the same time, the risk is probably greater for the Oilers.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767636 is a reply to message #767633 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I'm sure Holland agrees with that too - Nuge's camp may not be happy with the status quo. The rumour has the team offering $6.5MM to start and Nugent-Hopkins asking for $8.25MM in pre-COVID discussions (although worth noting, I believe they could not have signed an extension yet even if they'd found common ground at that time.)

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767639 is a reply to message #767636 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think what Kreider signed which is 6.5 mill is fair. Kreider is a pretty consistent mid to high 20's in goals, 50 something point guy. That's without McDavid or Leon as his center. If you look at Nuge, the last time he was not with McDavid or Leon, 16-17 he had 18 goals, 43 pts in 82 games that was with a decent winger in Eberle on his wing. The 17-18 year he wasn't having a great year on his own line but it was salvaged by putting him on McDavid wing in the last 1/4 and it inflated his numbers a bit. Since then he's been on either of their wing and now he's a 70 pt guy. So in my opinion, the playing with McDavid or Leon and the inflating of his numbers shouldn't be ignored.

if Kriedeer was on one of McDavid or Leon's wing, would he put up similar numbers as to Nuge? I think so.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767683 is a reply to message #767578 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Fun question, would you trade Nuge away straight up for Hall?

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767684 is a reply to message #767683 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 18:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 18:19

Depends on the contracts :)

This is fine.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767685 is a reply to message #767683 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

3 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 18:19

Uh, NO

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767696 is a reply to message #767685 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Do we even need Nuge now that Holloway is on the way?

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767701 is a reply to message #767696 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 17:55

This is a good point. Trade him immediately for a 2nd and a conditional 5th

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767735 is a reply to message #767701 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 19:32

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 06 October 2020 17:55

This is a good point. Trade him immediately for a 2nd and a conditional 5th

Let's not go nuts here. With AA out, there is already top 6 LW spot opened for Holloway without trading Nuge.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #767681 is a reply to message #767575 ]
Tue, 06 October 2020 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 05 October 2020 11:42

Quote:

I hope he comes in and under 7 million on a LT deal, but you have to ask yourself what the market cost would be to replace what he does for your club, by trade or sign. There is no one on the way in the Oilers system as of now. You might end up with an upset stomach.

Re: RNH Contract Extension Making Progress [message #776423 is a reply to message #767372 ]
Wed, 17 February 2021 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Wonder if Rishaug is saying this from a personal perspective or as a mouthpiece of the team...

https://twitter.com/tsnryanrishaug/status/136211613081955942 6?s=21

Trade deadline a few months away, am told at this point there has been no resumption in talks between the Oilers and RNH camp. Talks broke off abruptly before the season and its been radio silence since then. RNH has made it clear he wants to remain an Oiler long term. The organization has said they’d like to keep him, but figuring out the term and dollar figure in a flat cap Covid environment proved tricky. He’s developed chemistry with McDavid, who has said he really likes playing with him, kills penalties, is on their top PP. And is an important player in their room. Replacing him on the open market would not be an easy or cheap task. With that said, the economic uncertainty moving forward has many teams carefully considering every dollar they spend, so it is complicated. This is not an asset the organization would want to lose for nothing in free agency, and letting him walk out the door could be a big set back, especially considering the relationship and chemistry with McDavid. Tough decisions ahead for both these sides with clock ticking.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Pages (4): [1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Another Oilers Jersey Change - Navy Homes
Next Topic:Hall vs Nuge
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca