This day on January 25
Acquired: Glenn Anderson (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Angelus, barnaclehead, sharks eat oilers, RomanianOiler, cinnamon, Oilers since 84, m_fish82, Bubble

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765442]
Fri, 14 August 2020 18:38 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Roster Moves to Sign UFA Pieterangelo[ 24 vote(s) ]
1.Trade Larsson + Klefbom ($8.3M) 0 / 0%
2.Trade Larsson + Russell ($8.16M) 21 / 88%
3.Trade Klefbom + Russell ($8.16M) 1 / 4%
4.Might need more cap room to get him to Oilerville, Trade All 3 ! ($12.3M) 2 / 8%

Piertengelo is UFA this season, he'd be Dynamite,

Should be $8M + (if he leaves)

Would you trade two of; Larsson + Klefbom+Russell, to make cap room for Pietrangelo? How about all three if you need more cap room? And.. because Pieterangelo is UFA, you' get an asset return for all 3 if traded.

Replace a combination of Larsson, Klefbom, plus Russell with ... ;

Pieterangelo + (2/3 trade assets)

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

I'd do it, whatever combo required..

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Alternately you might be able to trade Russell + Larsson, plus one of Kassian, Benning, Chaisson

[Updated on: Fri, 14 August 2020 18:42]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765444 is a reply to message #765442 ]
Fri, 14 August 2020 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

I would vote Russell only, Jones is ready. Otherwise to much change on defence.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765445 is a reply to message #765444 ]
Fri, 14 August 2020 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Iamheretoday wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 19:02

Yeah but.. Pieterangelo ! 😍 🧡

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765447 is a reply to message #765445 ]
Fri, 14 August 2020 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

No Nurse option? icon_wink

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765450 is a reply to message #765447 ]
Fri, 14 August 2020 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 19:50

LOL, yeah th eway he played in the Play-in, maybe I should, but I have always been a Nurse fan, even back to the Sault Greyhound days, but the guy seems to have plateaued the last couple of seasons, he has great skating, speed, toughens/meanness, character, but seems to keep making the same positional errors, like losing guys in front of the net.. I'd keep him because I still feel there could be a huge upside with him, if he ever figures out the positional part of the game, he'd be amazing.

Klefbom, Larsson I think what you see is what you get, Pieterangelo is the type of player everyone was hoping Klefbom would turn into.. not even close!

I have bigger hopes for Broberg.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765454 is a reply to message #765450 ]
Sat, 15 August 2020 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 22:41

LOL, yeah th eway he played in the Play-in, maybe I should, but I have always been a Nurse fan, even back to the Sault Greyhound days, but the guy seems to have plateaued the last couple of seasons, he has great skating, speed, toughens/meanness, character, but seems to keep making the same positional errors, like losing guys in front of the net.. I'd keep him because I still feel there could be a huge upside with him, if he ever figures out the positional part of the game, he'd be amazing.

Klefbom, Larsson I think what you see is what you get, Pieterangelo is the type of player everyone was hoping Klefbom would turn into.. not even close!

Same here. We've already been burned by trading away Eberle for one bad playoffs, I'm very mindful of that.

I know D men do take much longer to mature. And Nurse has all the physical tools and he's been good regular season wise points. But... five seasons in and he's still making rookie decisions that he has to sprint back to make up for.

20 points and +5 is better than 30 points and -5.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765467 is a reply to message #765454 ]
Sat, 15 August 2020 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 23:43

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 22:41

Same here. We've already been burned by trading away Eberle for one bad playoffs, I'm very mindful of that.

I know D men do take much longer to mature. And Nurse has all the physical tools and he's been good regular season wise points. But... five seasons in and he's still making rookie decisions that he has to sprint back to make up for.

20 points and +5 is better than 30 points and -5.

Another reason to try and get Pieterangelo as your top D-man, is it would give your top defense prospects someone to learn from, a day to day prime example of what a true No.1 NHL D-man looks like, plays like, prepares like, carries himself like.. now who would you rather have mentoring your young D Corp like Bouchard, Broberg, Samarukov, Jones... Klefbom, Nurse, and Larsson.. or Pieterangelo? icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766064 is a reply to message #765467 ]
Sat, 29 August 2020 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

From the first odd man rush of the play-in series, I've finally had it with Klefbom. He thinks that he's far better than he actually is, and he wasn't even really skating hard to get back into the play.

There are a lot of good physical specimens on the Oilers team... but there are few that have the will or the smarts to win. Klef looked like he was in a preseason game.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766072 is a reply to message #766064 ]
Sat, 29 August 2020 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sat, 29 August 2020 00:34

From the first odd man rush of the play-in series, I've finally had it with Klefbom. He thinks that he's far better than he actually is, and he wasn't even really skating hard to get back into the play.

There are a lot of good physical specimens on the Oilers team... but there are few that have the will or the smarts to win. Klef looked like he was in a preseason game.

Same opinion. He seems to be caught "unawares" routinely, like a rookie, except he's not.
I remember that play, I think he was skating as hard as he could, that's just his top end.
His stock is up in Edmonton because he's always compared to the rest of the Oiler D, which hasn't been that great, compared to a lot of the players playing top 4 D currently in the playoffs, he's a ways down the list. Hoping Broberg and Bouchard take over soon.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766194 is a reply to message #766072 ]
Wed, 02 September 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Does Domi for AA make any sense? I suspect only if we can resign for cheaper that what we would get with AA but I think it also changes the dimension of the team and moves out a player who hasn't been able to fit so far.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766210 is a reply to message #766194 ]
Wed, 02 September 2020 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Mullet wrote on Wed, 02 September 2020 10:38

Does Domi for AA make any sense? I suspect only if we can resign for cheaper that what we would get with AA but I think it also changes the dimension of the team and moves out a player who hasn't been able to fit so far.

I like Domi until I don’t. Inconsistent. I don’t think he’s survive in Edmonton.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766233 is a reply to message #766210 ]
Thu, 03 September 2020 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 02 September 2020 12:55

I like Domi until I don’t. Inconsistent. I don’t think he’s survive in Edmonton.

I agree with you, some games, a lot when he was with Arizona, he looked great.. and then you won't notice him at all.. last thing the Oilers should do is give up assets for an inconsistent player..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766264 is a reply to message #766233 ]
Fri, 04 September 2020 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mullet  is currently offline Mullet

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 September 2020 10:00

I agree with you, some games, a lot when he was with Arizona, he looked great.. and then you won't notice him at all.. last thing the Oilers should do is give up assets for an inconsistent player..

Are you suggesting AA is a consistent player because from my view the is comparability but one brings more grit so I don't view it as a loss or degrade in fact the opposite and add chaison to deal to gain space to sign.

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766304 is a reply to message #766264 ]
Fri, 04 September 2020 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Mullet wrote on Fri, 04 September 2020 08:27

Skookum Jim wrote on Thu, 03 September 2020 10:00

Are you suggesting AA is a consistent player because from my view the is comparability but one brings more grit so I don't view it as a loss or degrade in fact the opposite and add chaison to deal to gain space to sign.

Not at all. I don’t think AA will survive here either.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766375 is a reply to message #766304 ]
Mon, 07 September 2020 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

TSN's Ryan Rishaug is reporting via twitter that the Oilers are looking at signing Adam Cracknell, possibly to help in the AHL. Last known team was Kunlun of the KHL.

https://puckpedia.com/player/adam-cracknell

I'm sure everyone will remember his short stint as an Oiler 5 years ago. Seems like the kind of player who NHL coaches and general managers think they can succeed in turning into a NHL regular where others have been unable to do so.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&am p;pid=68995

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766376 is a reply to message #766375 ]
Mon, 07 September 2020 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Maybe he defeated the dragon and will bring with him the Iron Fist?

Kunlun has a hockey team, who knew?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766388 is a reply to message #766375 ]
Tue, 08 September 2020 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 07 September 2020 22:34

TSN's Ryan Rishaug is reporting via twitter that the Oilers are looking at signing Adam Cracknell, possibly to help in the AHL. Last known team was Kunlun of the KHL.

I'm sure everyone will remember his short stint as an Oiler 5 years ago. Seems like the kind of player who NHL coaches and general managers think they can succeed in turning into a NHL regular where others have been unable to do so.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&am p;am p;pid=68995

How many Patrick Russells does one team need!?!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766393 is a reply to message #766388 ]
Tue, 08 September 2020 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 September 2020 08:42

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&am p;am p;am p;pid=68995

The quest to get a load of 15th forwards and trying to mash them together to create a 12th forward continues.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766397 is a reply to message #766393 ]
Tue, 08 September 2020 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 08 September 2020 08:58

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&am p;am p;am p;am p;pid=68995

The quest to get a load of 15th forwards and trying to mash them together to create a 12th forward continues.

The answer is that you need six - but sometimes there are unintended consequences:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Twins_Poster.jpg

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766421 is a reply to message #766397 ]
Tue, 08 September 2020 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 08 September 2020 09:11

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 08 September 2020 08:58

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;pid=68995

The answer is that you need six - but sometimes there are unintended consequences:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Twins_Poster.jpg

Yes, it will be weird, but I think we might finally have a shot at the Bill Masterton Trophy if the baby is born mid-season

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/31/24/51/312451618ca96189331de26b0ebbdc05.png

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #766418 is a reply to message #766393 ]
Tue, 08 September 2020 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 08 September 2020 11:58

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?filter=Y&am p;am p;am p;am p;pid=68995

What's Toby Petersen doing these days anyway?

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765448 is a reply to message #765445 ]
Fri, 14 August 2020 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 19:05

Iamheretoday wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 19:02

Yeah but.. Pieterangelo ! 😍 🧡

Gotta give to get. Unless you are trading with Chiarelli.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765479 is a reply to message #765442 ]
Mon, 17 August 2020 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 14 August 2020 18:38

Would you trade two of; Larsson + Klefbom+Russell, to make cap room for Pietrangelo? How about all three if you need more cap room? And.. because Pieterangelo is UFA, you' get an asset return for all 3 if traded.

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Alternately you might be able to trade Russell + Larsson, plus one of Kassian, Benning, Chaisson

So you want to make the Oilers defense even worse? I am guessing you don't want to win next year or anytime soon because other than the "first pair", your entire defense is almost rookies.
Bear - Second year player
Bouchard/Lagesson - rookies
Jones - 1.5 yr player as he doesn't even have a full year of experience.
Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

I am all for making some changes to the Oilers defense plus freeing up some cap space.

- Russell is obvious to me. On the Oilers, he's a 3rd pairing guy making too much money.

- Larsson is a guy who should go because his style of dman is quickly leaving the NHL. He's got injury problems and if he's got a bad back, that can act up at anytime. Plus he's an upcoming UFA so I would like to see them get an asset for a guy who they probably won't resign. I assume they will be planning on winning so if you are trading upcoming UFA's you do in the offseason.

- Benning is a guy who if he signs for a very team friendly deal, you can keep him but if he expect much more than 1.5 mill, I would trade him because he's not worth that much.

So I see 2 out of the 3 above gone. The Oilers have too many guys on defense who don't play with enough pace. Larsson is not a fast skate nor does he move the puck well. Benning is not a fast skater nor does he move the puck well. Russell is an OK skater but doesn't move the puck well. Half the Oilers defense play a slow the game down style.

When it comes to Pietrangelo, a hard NO. He's already 30, he will be 31 in January. He's a vet, right shooting dman with a cup who's coming off a really good year. He's from Ontario so the Leafs will have a raging hard on for him. He's going to want big money and term and will probably get it. To get him to come to Edmonton, he most definitely will demand and you will have to give that to him. There is always the odd exception but signing over 30 UFA's to big money and term deals has blown up in the teams face time and time again. Pietrangelo screams Seabrook contract to me.

Have we not learned from Lucic? Lucic was a disaster and he was even younger than Pietrangelo.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 August 2020 07:34]

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765481 is a reply to message #765479 ]
Mon, 17 August 2020 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 17 August 2020 07:21

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

So you want to make the Oilers defense even worse? I am guessing you don't want to win next year or anytime soon because other than the "first pair", your entire defense is almost rookies.
Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

I am all for making some changes to the Oilers defense plus freeing up some cap space.

- Russell is obvious to me. On the Oilers, he's a 3rd pairing guy making too much money.

- Larsson is a guy who should go because his style of dman is quickly leaving the NHL. He's got injury problems and if he's got a bad back, that can act up at anytime. Plus he's an upcoming UFA so I would like to see them get an asset for a guy who they probably won't resign. I assume they will be planning on winning so if you are trading upcoming UFA's you do in the offseason.

- Benning is a guy who if he signs for a very team friendly deal, you can keep him but if he expect much more than 1.5 mill, I would trade him because he's not worth that much.

So I see 2 out of the 3 above gone.

When it comes to Pietrangelo, a hard NO. He's already 30, he will be 31 in January. He's a vet, right shooting dman with a cup who's coming off a really good year. He's from Ontario so the Leafs will have a raging hard on for him. He's going to want big money and term and will probably get it. To get him to come to Edmonton, he most definitely will demand and you will have to give that to him. There is always the odd exception but signing over 30 UFA's to big money and term deals has blown up in the teams face time and time again. Pietrangelo screams Seabrook contract to me.

Have we not learned from Lucic? Lucic was a disaster and he was even younger than Pietrangelo.

I second this. Tying a $8Million, likely 5-6 year boat anchor contract for a 31 year old declining defenseman to this team would be disastrous.

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765484 is a reply to message #765481 ]
Mon, 17 August 2020 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Mon, 17 August 2020 07:34

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

I second this. Tying a $8Million, likely 5-6 year boat anchor contract for a 31 year old declining defenseman to this team would be disastrous.

My guess is he might have 1-2 real good years then it will be a decline. He's played his whole career in the States in a market that is OK but not the fishbowl that is Edmonton. You can't even sell playing at home to him because he's from just outside of Toronto. Even to get him to come home to play for the Leafs, I think they have to give him basically a retirement deal. A 5-6 yr big money deal where after he's done with hockey. If he was 27, then sure but not 31 when the deal starts.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765534 is a reply to message #765481 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Mon, 17 August 2020 06:34

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

Pieterangelo is no Lucic, he's more like a Scott Niedermeyer, effortless skater, hockey IQ off the charts, Pieterangelo will be playing top minutes until he' 38, besides, even if it were 3 to 5 years as a top 10 NHL d-man, together with McD and LD that could be converted into a few good Cup runs.. One thing is CRYSTAL clear to me after watching these NHL playoff games.. Oilers Defense is below NHL par, not even freaking close to a top 2 in their ranks.. and Bouchard, Broberg are at least a year or two away.. Larsson and Klutter-bomb, Nurse, are not legitimate No.1 NHL d-men IMHO, every other team in the playoffs have at least 2, usually more..
Getting Pieterangelo as a UFA would be a steal..
There a are a few contracts that could be dumped to get cap room, its doable, problem is he's probably going to stay in St. Louis.. no way Blues let him go.. guy is a franchise player.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765537 is a reply to message #765534 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 00:08

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

Pieterangelo is no Lucic, he's more like a Scott Niedermeyer, effortless skater, hockey IQ off the charts, Pieterangelo will be playing top minutes until he' 38, besides, even if it were 3 to 5 years as a top 10 NHL d-man, together with McD and LD that could be converted into a few good Cup runs.. One thing is CRYSTAL clear to me after watching these NHL playoff games.. Oilers Defense is below NHL par, not even freaking close to a top 2 in their ranks.. and Bouchard, Broberg are at least a year or two away.. Larsson and Klutter-bomb, Nurse, are not legitimate No.1 NHL d-men IMHO, every other team in the playoffs have at least 2, usually more..
There a are a few contracts that could be dumped to get cap room, its doable, problem is he's probably going to stay in St. Louis.. no way Blues let him go.. guy is a franchise player.

He will be 31 when next season starts. He's played his entire career in the US in St. Louis. So I am sure he's extremely established. The only way you are going to get him to come is if you offer him an overpay in both term AND money. Like I said, it's been proven time and time again that signing over 30 free agents to big money, big term deals which usually ends up being what it takes to get these guys to move, usually blows up in the teams face.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765550 is a reply to message #765537 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 07:19

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

He will be 31 when next season starts. He's played his entire career in the US in St. Louis. So I am sure he's extremely established. The only way you are going to get him to come is if you offer him an overpay in both term AND money. Like I said, it's been proven time and time again that signing over 30 free agents to big money, big term deals which usually ends up being what it takes to get these guys to move, usually blows up in the teams face.

Everyone knows Pietro can't wait to give the LEafs a massive home town discount. He has his Leafs jammies picture all prepared already.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765551 is a reply to message #765550 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 10:36

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

Everyone knows Pietro can't wait to give the LEafs a massive home town discount. He has his Leafs jammies picture all prepared already.

Oh yes. Jonny T must have left a good $10 on the table with his 7 yr-77 mill deal.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765555 is a reply to message #765537 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

and any one to two of;

C. Jones
E. Bouchard
W. Lagesson
T. Lennstrom

Pieterangelo Nurse
Bear Bouchard/Lagesson
Jones Benning
Lenstrom

Benning - 6/7 dman.
Lentrom - rookie.

We should build a list of +30 year old players who have signed multi-year, large contracts in the last 10 years and see what the results were of those. I wonder if there is someone who would pick up the ball on this and run with it *cough ADAM cough*?

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:17

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 09 October 2020 13:00

The president thinks he has the ideal male body.
It's hard to disagree that he has the ideal male body.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765570 is a reply to message #765555 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Marian Hossa 12x$5.275 at age 30
Roberto Luongo 12x$5.33 at age 31
Brent Burns 8x$8 at age 32
Logan Couture 8x$8 at age 30
TJ Oshie 8x$5.75 at age 30
Brent Seabrook 8x$6.875 at age 31
Marc Edouard Vlasic 8x$7 at age 31
Johhny boychuk 7x$6 at age 31
Henrik Lundqvist 7x$8.5 at age 32
Sergei Bobrovsky 7x$10 at age 30
Andrew Ladd 7x$5.5 at age 30
Ryan McDonagh 7x$6.75 at age 30
Marian Gaborik 7x$4.875 at age 32

These are the only over 30 contracts signed for 7-years or more that I could find. 13 of them. Too early to tell on a couple of these, but at almost half (Hossa, Seabrook, Ladd, Gaborik, Luongo, McDonagh) have proven to not be a good idea. If you go back to six year deals, it gets even worse with guys like Lucic, Eriksson, Backes, Okposo, Kesler, Nielsen, and Jonathan Ericsson added to the list.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 16 March 2021 18:49

Turris in the BOA will be like an ice cube in the Sahara.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765571 is a reply to message #765570 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 13:37

These are the only over 30 contracts signed for 7-years or more that I could find. 13 of them. Too early to tell on a couple of these, but at almost half (Hossa, Seabrook, Ladd, Gaborik, Luongo, McDonagh) have proven to not be a good idea. If you go back to six year deals, it gets even worse with guys like Lucic, Eriksson, Backes, Okposo, Kesler, Nielsen, and Jonathan Ericsson added to the list.

I think it would take max term for big money to get Pietrangelo to come. No thanks.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765581 is a reply to message #765571 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 13:42

OilPeg wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 13:37

I think it would take max term for big money to get Pietrangelo to come. No thanks.

The other issue with a Pietrangelo (or a Krug) is that they aren't going to sign a 3-4 year deal, and that's going to impact what you can do with your young guys coming in. It's one less spot for several years. If it's the right player and the right deal, that's not a bad thing. I don't mind making it harder for someone to crack a lineup, but at some point, if we've got the right guys in the system then they're pushing in to the lineup and up the depth chart. If you have a guy making $7-10MM for years to come, then they're hard to move out of the way, even if it's warranted. Those deals are notoriously hard to trade - if you do you usually get back garbage and cap hit coming the other way - and the noise and pressure amps up when someone is getting paid more than they are worth - especially in Edmonton where fans can't let it go - even if a guy is playing well in a secondary role, there is always too much focus on the paycheque (see Horcoff, Shawn, as an example).

Bear, Jones, Bouchard and Broberg all need spots in the near future - or they need to be moved out while they have value. If you add Pietrangelo and you already have plans to keep Klefbom and Nurse for a while yet and you don't want to go too young too fast? Well, it becomes a bit of a challenge to get everyone in. The Oilers also have Larsson and Russell under contract for next year for over $8MM, and Benning is an RFA. How many defenceman moves can you make in a single off-season and how do we do those so that we get at least a little bit of value from as many as possible?

The only way I think we should be looking to add a Krug or Pietrangelo for a big ticket long-term deal is if the team has lost faith that Bouchard and Broberg are the future of the team's defence. You're committing to those players for a long time, and doing so speaks to where you expect those guys to be in the next couple of years.

As for any comments about their youth - look at other teams in the league now and when first pairing defenceman start playing. These guys are not waiting until they're 25 to break in to the league. The best ones never really have anyhow. Pronger was playing big minutes before he was 20. Lidstrom was a first pairing defenceman when he came over at 20. Doughty was in the league at 18. If Bouchard can't crack the lineup at 21 or 22 years of age, it speaks to the ceiling in his career. I think his AHL numbers this year are promising, and I'd like to see what he can do in the NHL next season.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765525 is a reply to message #765442 ]
Mon, 17 August 2020 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

There are younger defenseman UFA's available like Barrie and Krug, assuming that free agency is a direction that Holland wants to go in.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765530 is a reply to message #765525 ]
Mon, 17 August 2020 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Mon, 17 August 2020 19:07

There are younger defenseman UFA's available like Barrie and Krug, assuming that free agency is a direction that Holland wants to go in.

Question is where does the money come from for a UFA? Cap likely shrinks after this year or at best holds level now. The Oilers need to address goaltending and depth forwards and probably at least one more top six forward, so can’t buy all the help.

We have some solid defence coming up and we may need to lean on them to make a bit of a jump as opposed to chasing a UFA d-man too.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765538 is a reply to message #765525 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

With Barrie coming off a supposedly not good year, at least according to what you hear from Leafs fans and media, I wonder if you could get Barrie on a decent, short term deal. He's 29, turning 30 next season. Similar to Pietrangelo, I am reluctant to sign older free agents to long term deals. I don't think there is a chance in hell you could get Pietrangelo unless you are offering him huge money and term but in the case of Barrie I do wonder if you could get him on a short show me deal.

When I looked him up, given how bad he supposedly was according to the Leafs, I though his points would be brutal but he had 39 pts in 70 games. That's a 46 pt pace in 82. I know that is down from his previous years but I have to think adjusting to being in Toronto would be big. If the Leafs were looking to get a defensive guy in Barrie, that isn't him. To free up money, I could see them trading Larsson. He's an upcoming UFA and given his style of dman, lack of puck moving and apparently injury issues especially involving his back, I don't see them resigning him. So I'd be cutting bait now while you can probably get something for him because if you are in playoff mode next season, you probably aren't dumping a UFA at the deadline.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765582 is a reply to message #765538 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 06:29

With Barrie coming off a supposedly not good year, at least according to what you hear from Leafs fans and media, I wonder if you could get Barrie on a decent, short term deal. He's 29, turning 30 next season. Similar to Pietrangelo, I am reluctant to sign older free agents to long term deals. I don't think there is a chance in hell you could get Pietrangelo unless you are offering him huge money and term but in the case of Barrie I do wonder if you could get him on a short show me deal.

When I looked him up, given how bad he supposedly was according to the Leafs, I though his points would be brutal but he had 39 pts in 70 games. That's a 46 pt pace in 82. I know that is down from his previous years but I have to think adjusting to being in Toronto would be big. If the Leafs were looking to get a defensive guy in Barrie, that isn't him. To free up money, I could see them trading Larsson. He's an upcoming UFA and given his style of dman, lack of puck moving and apparently injury issues especially involving his back, I don't see them resigning him. So I'd be cutting bait now while you can probably get something for him because if you are in playoff mode next season, you probably aren't dumping a UFA at the deadline.

There is a reason Barrie would be available.. he's awful. Colorado dumped him.. and Toronto will be doing the same..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765585 is a reply to message #765582 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 14:15

There is a reason Barrie would be available.. he's awful. Colorado dumped him.. and Toronto will be doing the same..

I haven't watched Barrie much in TO but offensive dmen are often painted as "awful" (anybody remember Justin Schultz?). They need to be used correctly so that their tendency to trade chance for chance tips the scales in your team's favour. On a team like TO, or Edmonton for that matter, where you don't have the most defensively responsible forward group, a player like Barrie might not be the benefit he could be playing specialist minutes on a competent team.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765596 is a reply to message #765582 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Barrie is not awful, he's a right shooting puck moving, point producing top 4 dman. Realistically a second pairing guy. He was on pace for a 46 pt season. There is nothing wrong with that. If you accept him for what he is, he's fine. If you do what Toronto did and expect him to be more than what he is, then that is where you get into trouble. I would take a good skating, right shooting, puck moving, 46 pt dman on my team any day as my #4 than Larsson.

Carve up whoever you want but offering a going to be 31 yr old Pietrangelo a max term, big money deal is nuts. He makes 6.5 mill this season. You said it yourself, it takes at least 8. He had 52 pts in 70 games, that's a 60 pts season. I think 8 is the minimum it takes for a lot of American teams. I think to get him to uproot his family, leave the organization he's been with for 12 yrs, the City he have lived in for at least 10 yrs, move out of the US and to Edmonton, you are talking 9 mill. I don't care how good Pietrangelo is, it would be crazy to offer a 31 yr old 8 or 9 mill.

Re: Trade Targets (Pre-2020/2021 Season) [message #765599 is a reply to message #765596 ]
Tue, 18 August 2020 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 August 2020 13:40

Barrie is not awful, he's a right shooting puck moving, point producing top 4 dman. Realistically a second pairing guy. He was on pace for a 46 pt season. There is nothing wrong with that. If you accept him for what he is, he's fine. If you do what Toronto did and expect him to be more than what he is, then that is where you get into trouble. I would take a good skating, right shooting, puck moving, 46 pt dman on my team any day as my #4 than Larsson.

Carve up whoever you want but offering a going to be 31 yr old Pietrangelo a max term, big money deal is nuts. He makes 6.5 mill this season. You said it yourself, it takes at least 8. He had 52 pts in 70 games, that's a 60 pts season. I think 8 is the minimum it takes for a lot of American teams. I think to get him to uproot his family, leave the organization he's been with for 12 yrs, the City he have lived in for at least 10 yrs, move out of the US and to Edmonton, you are talking 9 mill. I don't care how good Pietrangelo is, it would be crazy to offer a 31 yr old 8 or 9 mill.

Barrie would get us points, but he'd give up way more against than he'd contribute. Especially if we put him on our first pairing. He's a good Dman, but unless the plan is to completely ignore our own zone and just try racking up as many points as possible, he's not what we need to stabilize the back end.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Rangers inquire about Eichel as per Bobby Mac
Next Topic:Lebrun: talked to the Pens re: Murray
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca