This day on December 6
Acquired: Fredrik Olausson (1993)
Departed: Geoff Smith (1993)

Happy Birthday To: Walsh86, Kurri17, RaffiTorresFan14, RaffiTime, dongretzky99, thebaron, southsideoilers

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Minors » M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good..
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #762986]
Fri, 03 July 2020 19:51 Go to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Michael Kesselring's Dad (Casey), was interviewed by Staples, really interesting stuff.
The dad is Canadian, from Kitchener, played US college, then minors 5 years, then coached USHL, coached his kid...

I think this Kesserling kid will surprise some people, right shot Defenseman, 6'-5", mobile (!), still developing physically (getting bigger, stronger), has his head on straight. Has about another 2 years in college.

Great question and answer, talks about his son, as well as general USHL, NCAA college, interesting stuff, worth a listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbWXkwoqvOk&feature=yout u.be&list=PLphBjZVKEgMgZff1Ba8XNH77oxQlvP_r6

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #763015 is a reply to message #762986 ]
Sun, 05 July 2020 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Fri, 03 July 2020 19:51

Michael Kesselring's Dad (Casey), was interviewed by Staples, really interesting stuff.
The dad is Canadian, from Kitchener, played US college, then minors 5 years, then coached USHL, coached his kid...

I think this Kesserling kid will surprise some people, right shot Defenseman, 6'-5", mobile (!), still developing physically (getting bigger, stronger), has his head on straight. Has about another 2 years in college.

Great question and answer, talks about his son, as well as general USHL, NCAA college, interesting stuff, worth a listen...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbWXkwoqvOk&feature=yout u.be&list=PLphBjZVKEgMgZff1Ba8XNH77oxQlvP_r6

Tough time to be a defenceman deep down the Oilers prospect chart right now. You're going to have to not just launch forward in your development, but you're going to have to overtake several high profile players who the team is likely to push forward ahead of you if they can. 5 points as a 19-year old rookie at Northeastern this year, 6th on the team in d-man scoring. A little longer before we have to make a decision on this kid since he's in college, but he's got an uphill battle ahead of himself.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #763018 is a reply to message #763015 ]
Sun, 05 July 2020 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 05 July 2020 16:20

Tough time to be a defenceman deep down the Oilers prospect chart right now. You're going to have to not just launch forward in your development, but you're going to have to overtake several high profile players who the team is likely to push forward ahead of you if they can. 5 points as a 19-year old rookie at Northeastern this year, 6th on the team in d-man scoring. A little longer before we have to make a decision on this kid since he's in college, but he's got an uphill battle ahead of himself.

Of all places to be overstocked I think having too many defencemen is the best one.
If the Oilers stick with letting players mature and develop in other leagues you wil start a cycle where the uphill battle simply becomes the norm.
That being that the team would have number an entire lineup of people who belong in the league both skill and develop level wise. That means that likely none are under 24 or so. if your pipeline has a dozen players looking to take those spots, spread among different development leagues, odds are that only a couple will work out. When the do you insert those into the team as needed and if you have too many you make a trade.
Much like planning too far ahead for things like the expansion drafts of LV or Seattle I dont think the Oilers should ignore a pick because it might become a (good) problem a few years down the road.
Looking at the Oilers right now I see 3 players who are locks to be proper NHL D-men, Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. 3 more that seem highly likely, Benning, Jones and Bear. In the system they have 7 under contract over the age of 23 and I dont see any of them as for sure top 6 guys. That lost also includes a couple that know for sure arent in the long term plans for the Oilers like Manning.

Overstock that pipeline and if you end up with more than 6 that you can afford to keep you have a heck of trade piece.
The team for a decade has been looking for an NHL quality top 6. The prospect pool has been even worse. It isnt something us as fans are used to but they need to have 8-10 defencemen between 18 and 24 that still have a chance of developing into NHL players.

Disclaimer. Outside of a quick discussion on NHL radio this is my only info I have heard on this player. My comments are more about drafting D in general. Given the state of the team today I would be a very strong supporter of drafting the best center of defensement available.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #763020 is a reply to message #763018 ]
Sun, 05 July 2020 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 05 July 2020 16:52

Adam wrote on Sun, 05 July 2020 16:20

Of all places to be overstocked I think having too many defencemen is the best one.
If the Oilers stick with letting players mature and develop in other leagues you wil start a cycle where the uphill battle simply becomes the norm.
That being that the team would have number an entire lineup of people who belong in the league both skill and develop level wise. That means that likely none are under 24 or so. if your pipeline has a dozen players looking to take those spots, spread among different development leagues, odds are that only a couple will work out. When the do you insert those into the team as needed and if you have too many you make a trade.
Much like planning too far ahead for things like the expansion drafts of LV or Seattle I dont think the Oilers should ignore a pick because it might become a (good) problem a few years down the road.
Looking at the Oilers right now I see 3 players who are locks to be proper NHL D-men, Klefbom, Larsson and Nurse. 3 more that seem highly likely, Benning, Jones and Bear. In the system they have 7 under contract over the age of 23 and I dont see any of them as for sure top 6 guys. That lost also includes a couple that know for sure arent in the long term plans for the Oilers like Manning.

Overstock that pipeline and if you end up with more than 6 that you can afford to keep you have a heck of trade piece.
The team for a decade has been looking for an NHL quality top 6. The prospect pool has been even worse. It isnt something us as fans are used to but they need to have 8-10 defencemen between 18 and 24 that still have a chance of developing into NHL players.

Disclaimer. Outside of a quick discussion on NHL radio this is my only info I have heard on this player. My comments are more about drafting D in general. Given the state of the team today I would be a very strong supporter of drafting the best center of defensement available.

I agree - good to be over-stocked at D with one caveat. You need to find places for these guys to continue advancing and developing, and you need to make decisions on them while they still have value. It's a mistake to try to keep too many promising prospects at the position, because you don't have room to develop them all, and if they wither on the vine and you lose them for nothing in the future, that's an organizational failure (one we've seen the team do in recent years).

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #763022 is a reply to message #763020 ]
Sun, 05 July 2020 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 05 July 2020 17:07

I agree - good to be over-stocked at D with one caveat. You need to find places for these guys to continue advancing and developing, and you need to make decisions on them while they still have value. It's a mistake to try to keep too many promising prospects at the position, because you don't have room to develop them all, and if they wither on the vine and you lose them for nothing in the future, that's an organizational failure (one we've seen the team do in recent years).

Yeah, I think we basically agree on the idea of this. It is possible the "pause" has me missing hockey, and thus hockey, talk enough that I am trending more positive in my views of the Oilers and ability to develop.
Over the years we have been conditioned to think that an Oiler pick that wasnt on the team in 2 years was a bust. That was a result of the teams love of hype VS long term planning and success.
We have come to think that heading to anywhere but NA was a slight on the org and perhaps the country. For some fans I think that is too much being stuck in the past. Too in love with the good old Canadian boy, born and raised to be a hockey player.
With Holland's success in the past at developing non-North Americans I think there may be a change in ideology there.
Being open to a player developing in a top league around the world opens up a pile of options. Between the AHL, CHL, college and top Euro leagues you can get very deep before you run out of players to develop.

I do think that if you have a stocked pipeline but happen to have a high end talent pool in the AHL you can use that as a tie breaker between a CDN, american or Euro D-man. A guy like Broberg going to Sweden is the kind of thing that is a huge benifit to the over crowding issue that could be come an issue in the AHL.
JP playing in Finland should have been a viable option, and perhaps the only one, from the day he was drafted. If he wasnt rushed into his role and handled so poorly I bet he would have ZERO haters here. Every Oilfan would be watching every highlight video salivating about the time he is finally "ripe" and finally called overseas to jump right into the top 6

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #763125 is a reply to message #763022 ]
Thu, 09 July 2020 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Edmonton Sun gives Kesselring some positive coverage.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/oi lers-defenceman-prospect-could-be-steal-of-2018-nhl-draft-cl ass

“'Our school is really competitive, we were ranked one of the top-15 teams in the country pretty much all year,” Kesselring said. “Fortunately, I walked into a really good situation and played pretty much in the top four pairings pretty much all years. We had a few injuries throughout the year, but this year was big for me, it really grew my defensive side of the game.”

Kesselring had two goals and five points in 34 games with Northeastern. He had seven goals and 22 points in 33 games with Fargo the previous season."

Pretty hard to get too excited about a prospect who might jump to another organization when his college days are over. Hope the kid keeps showing steady improvement and wants to be a part of the Oiler organization when his university days come to an end.

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #780652 is a reply to message #763125 ]
Mon, 22 March 2021 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Well, he isn't going to be jumping to another organization. According to Condors twitter, he has signed an NHL deal starting next season.

"The @EdmontonOilers
have signed 2018, 6th round pick Michael Kesselring to a three-year NHL contract starting next season.

The Northeastern University product has signed an AHL contract for the remainder of the 2021 season with the Condors."

Re: M. Kesselring's Dad Interview, pretty good.. [message #780739 is a reply to message #762986 ]
Mon, 22 March 2021 20:04 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Kesserling Highlights.. its NCAA but he looks pretty mobile at 6'5" and 215 !
https://nuhuskies.com/news/2021/3/22/mens-ice-hockey-michael -kesselring-inks-contract-with-edmonton-oilers.aspx

He's already n Bakersfield, will get in a game in the next few, Dave Manson coaching our young D prospects is a good thing to have..

There's going to be some good competition down there soon on D, the great driving force of evolution, Broberg will be there after his SHL playoffs are done, and Phil Kemp (as well as Lavoie) is on his way in a few days as well.

Good Times! icon_nod

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Previous Topic:Vote for D. Holloway for Hobey Baker
Next Topic:2020-21 WJHC in Edmonton & Red Deer
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca