This day on January 23
Acquired: Doug Halward (1989)

Happy Birthday To: faceoff, sportsmom23, diamondx, GoOilGo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill PetersPages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747808]
Tue, 26 November 2019 11:54 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

I think this story is about to get a lot bigger. A more in depth account from Akim Aliu, with backing of a couple of his teammates, has been released by TSN.

https://www.tsn.ca/akim-aliu-speaks-publicly-on-allegations- against-calgary-flames-head-coach-bill-peters-1.1403974

Quote:

“He walked in before a morning pre-game skate and said ‘Hey Akim, I’m sick of you playing that n----- s---,’ ” Aliu told TSN, with Peters, who was then the Ice Hogs head coach, referring to Aliu’s selection of hip-hop music. “He said ‘I’m sick of hearing this n-----s f------ other n-----s in the ass stuff.’

“He then walked out like nothing ever happened. You could hear a pin drop in the room, everything went dead silent. I just sat down in my stall, didn’t say a word.”

Two of Aliu’s Rockford teammates who were in the room at the time of the alleged incident, Simon Pepin and Peter MacArthur, independently corroborated Aliu’s account to TSN on Tuesday.

"I think everyone should be held accountable for their actions or words spoken," Pepin said.

Aliu said Rockford team captain Jake Dowell later confronted Peters about the incident in the coach’s office. Dowell declined to comment, but said he would cooperate in any investigation conducted by the NHL or the Flames.

When Peters then called Aliu into his office to talk about it, Aliu said Peters did not apologize. Instead, Peters again expressed his displeasure in Aliu’s choice of music for the dressing room, with Aliu saying Peters said: “You know, I’m just sick of this n----- s---. It’s every day. From now on, we need to play different music.”

This could get pretty messy.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747814 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

https://twitter.com/sheriffmcmorrow/status/11993465250227732 48?s=20

"If you think Mike Commodore had harsh words for Babcock you are in for a treat to hear what I would have to say about Bill Peters ... Worst human being to ever coach me ... treated me terrible on a AHL team (IceHogs) where I won a League Award for Community Service."

Another black hockey player to release some sort of information. I can't find it anywhere yet though.

Not sure who stared the #MeToo of coaches - Grapes or Babcock, but I doubt the controversies end with Peters.

Edit: According to TSN, two teammates who witnessed the incident have corroborated Aliu's story. Peters is done.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2019 12:35]

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747817 is a reply to message #747814 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

JPro wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:11

"If you think Mike Commodore had harsh words for Babcock you are in for a treat to hear what I would have to say about Bill Peters ... Worst human being to ever coach me ... treated me terrible on a AHL team (IceHogs) where I won a League Award for Community Service."

Another black hockey player to release some sort of information. I can't find it anywhere yet though.

Not sure who stared the #MeToo of coaches - Grapes or Babcock, but I doubt the controversies end with Peters.

Edit: Per Eric Francis, Peters not on ice running practice today.

Anyone thinking that the Flames could be using this as the last straw to can Peters and make a run at getting Babs behind their bench?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747820 is a reply to message #747817 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:36

JPro wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:11

Edit: Per Eric Francis, Peters not on ice running practice today.

Anyone thinking that the Flames could be using this as the last straw to can Peters and make a run at getting Babs behind their bench?

Don’t think it would be the best look for them to fire a guy for being racist and then go out and hire his mentor who also recently has stories swirling of what a dbag he is. Also their core seems like a bunch of soft millennialswho can’t handle a hard nose coach. That being said they sucked under nice guy Gulutzan too so who knows

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747821 is a reply to message #747817 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Given their struggles this season, he was probably in the cross-hairs to get canned anyway. Now, it's likely they won't have to pay out his contract too.

My bet is that ain't nobody touching the Babs hot stove until the off-season.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747823 is a reply to message #747821 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

JPro wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:48

Given their struggles this season, he was probably in the cross-hairs to get canned anyway. Now, it's likely they won't have to pay out his contract too.

I just don't want to see them hiring somebody competent. Maybe they make a run at convincing Sutter to step back behind the bench....

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747824 is a reply to message #747823 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:56

Maybe they make a run at convincing Sutter to step back behind the bench....

That's amazing. Plus, it's the first step to getting him back into the GM role!

NMC's for everyone!

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747884 is a reply to message #747823 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:56

JPro wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 12:48

I just don't want to see them hiring somebody competent. Maybe they make a run at convincing Sutter to step back behind the bench....

Dan Carcillo is on Twitter now with allegations of abuse by Daryl Sutter and saying that he brought it forward to Hockey Canada but it was ignored because the Sutters are considered royalty in Hockey Canada.

https://i.ibb.co/D5rfsTn/2020-01-21-09-04-38-Untitled-Notepad.png

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747825 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

If only he had had just worn blackface. Actually, if he apologizes and said his action came from a place of privilege do we forgive him?

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747828 is a reply to message #747825 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 13:24

If only he had had just worn blackface. Actually, if he apologizes and said his action came from a place of privilege do we forgive him?

If you apologize AND support cancel culture AND champion current values, you can continue being anything you want - even the Prime Minister.

If you don't adhere to the above, you are a hideous human being, who is not evolved enough.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747833 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Michal Jordan @TheBigCzech23

1) Never wish anything bad to the person but you get what you deserve Bill.After years making it to the NHL had experience with the worst coach ever by far.Kicking me and punching other player to the head during the game...

2) then pretending like nothing happened...couldnt believe my eyes what can happen in the best league.. happy that i dont have to go thrue that stuff on daily basics anymore.

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli

Former #Canes player Michal Jordan confirms to #TSN that there were "multiple" physical altercations between coach Bill Peters and players in Carolina.

"He kicked me pretty hard in the back during a game," Jordan said. "Even the trainers and the other guys saw it."

Jordan: "I was at that point in my career, like I just got there, so I couldn't say anything. I didn't want them to think I was crying. Me and my agent, we kept it secret. Now other guys are speaking out, so I felt like I could."

Frank Seravalli @frank_seravalli

Multiple sources also confirmed to #TSN the other physical altercation alleged in Jordan's tweet: Peters also struck a #Canes defenceman in the head on the bench during a game.

To this point, that #Canes player has wished to remain anonymous. It's his story to tell, until then.

hehe, Eric Francis:

Eric Francis @EricFrancis
Bill Peters not on the ice for Flames practice. Geoff Ward running the show. Flames will clearly make Peters firing official momentarily. He's gone.

Brad Treliving had no choice but to fire Peters.

Peters has not been fired by the Flames, says Treliving, citing the ongoing investigation.

That's some solid reporting!! SN site also put out a story that Peters was fired and had to erase it quickly.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKUgeJFXkAAlboE?format=png&name=small

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2019 14:07]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747839 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

https://twitter.com/CarBombBoom13/status/1199359563927031810

Quote:

Daniel Carcillo
@CarBombBoom13
Switching gears to abusive coaches like Mike Babcock, Bill Peters & Jeff Perry

My breaking point came when I was sat at the front of the bus in the coach’s seat after an
@OHLHockey
game in Guelph

Jeff sat ditectly behind me & was whispering his abusive rhetoric for 4 plus hours

Carcillo chimes in adding Jeff Perry to the list

Survivor LXI Champion

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 23 October 2019 08:54

Your winner and nnnneeeeeeeewwwwwwwww champion...

PlusOne (Bos)

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747841 is a reply to message #747839 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:26

Quote:

Daniel Carcillo
@CarBombBoom13

My breaking point came when I was sat at the front of the bus in the coach’s seat after an
@OHLHockey
game in Guelph

Jeff sat ditectly behind me & was whispering his abusive rhetoric for 4 plus hours

I'm in no way saying that these coaches couldn't be dinks. But does anyone other than failed NHLers feel this way?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747843 is a reply to message #747841 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Well current NHL players have something to lose for speaking out.

Colin Kaepernick was once a current NFL player, now a former NFL player.

Clean house or bust

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747844 is a reply to message #747843 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:35

Extreme example. Eric Reid is playing.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747845 is a reply to message #747844 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Did you guys see what former Oilers' coach MacT did to a dog once?

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747847 is a reply to message #747845 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:47

Was he driving at the time?

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747848 is a reply to message #747847 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:56

Too soon.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747854 is a reply to message #747848 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 15:02

Too soon.

My joke came from a place of privilege. I was not raised in a manner that would allow me to know what impact my words would have on other... oh, MacTavish is a white male? Never mind. I was a real Heater of a joke.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747859 is a reply to message #747854 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Treliving is going to blame Peters for the Lucic trade.

Box ticked!

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747881 is a reply to message #747854 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 15:31

Too soon.

My joke came from a place of privilege. I was not raised in a manner that would allow me to know what impact my words would have on other... oh, MacTavish is a white male? Never mind. I was a real Heater of a joke.

Sometimes it’s better not to stir stuff up. What you joke about really is an issue and if you can make light of it then you’ve either neither experienced it or knew someone who has been affected by it.

I love dark humour because I can saying that’s a coping mechanism to help deal with something out of the normal, but downplaying privilege affects millions of people daily. Probably not something you should make light of in a regular forum. I have some empathy. I’m a non visible minority who is basically white. I play by a different rule book that is afforded to me by my appearance.

Good riddance to this kind of thinking. It does not serve a productive service to anyone, but the naysayer himself who is in all likelihood a person with his own crappy childhood that is creating future problematic behaviours for people in his circle of influence.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 November 2019 21:48]

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747882 is a reply to message #747881 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 21:41

Too soon.

Sometimes it’s better not to stir stuff up. What you joke about really is an issue and if you can make light of it then you’ve either neither experienced it or knew someone who has been affected by it.

I love dark humour because I can saying that’s a coping mechanism to help deal with something out of the normal, but downplaying privilege affects millions of people daily. Probably not something you should make light of in a regular forum. I have some empathy. I’m a non visible minority who is basically white. I play by a different rule book that is afforded to me by my appearance.

Good riddance to this kind of thinking. It does not serve a productive service to anyone, but the naysayer himself who is in all likelihood a person with his own crappy childhood that is creating future problematic behaviours for people in his circle of influence.

On the bright side this is probably a nail in 19/20 Flames season.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747900 is a reply to message #747881 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Too soon.

I disagree with all of this. I will continue to make fun of things I think are stupid, not because I'm coping, but because it's funny. Regardless of anyone's perception of reality, victimhood status, or privilege I will continue to treat and judge people according to their actions.

You say good riddance to this kind of thinking, but it's still here. In this thread. Making fun of it all. Because I know the true non-productive part of all of this is the witch hunt we get to watch while hoping it doesn't come for us.

By the way, if it's ok for the Prime Minister it's surely ok for me. My only regret is not taking the time to copy his entire non-apology apology.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747903 is a reply to message #747900 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 09:22

Too soon.

I disagree with all of this. I will continue to make fun of things I think are stupid, not because I'm coping, but because it's funny. Regardless of anyone's perception of reality, victimhood status, or privilege I will continue to treat and judge people according to their actions.

You say good riddance to this kind of thinking, but it's still here. In this thread. Making fun of it all. Because I know the true non-productive part of all of this is the witch hunt we get to watch while hoping it doesn't come for us.

By the way, if it's ok for the Prime Minister it's surely ok for me. My only regret is not taking the time to copy his entire non-apology apology.

Who said what Trudeau did was ok? You certainly don't behave like you think it's ok, considering you bring it up every opportunity you can wedge it into the conversation (like this thread).

So which is it? Are you fine with that kind of behaviour because you find it humourous (as you stated in your post) or are you in objection to it (as evidence by how critical you are of Trudeau's act)?

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747907 is a reply to message #747903 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 09:29

Who said what Trudeau did was ok? You certainly don't behave like you think it's ok, considering you bring it up every opportunity you can wedge it into the conversation (like this thread).

So which is it? Are you fine with that kind of behaviour because you find it humourous (as you stated in your post) or are you in objection to it (as evidence by how critical you are of Trudeau's act)?

Who said it was ok? The good people of Canada who re-elected him.

So which is it? Both, of course. I identify as a righteous liberal now, I can do whatever I want.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747911 is a reply to message #747907 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 09:35

So which is it? Both, of course. I identify as a righteous liberal now, I can do whatever I want.

What an intelligent argument. When called out for your hypocritical behaviour, you take the most childish route. It's a very simple question Pi, just man up and answer it.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747915 is a reply to message #747911 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 09:50

What an intelligent argument. When called out for your hypocritical behaviour, you take the most childish route. It's a very simple question Pi, just man up and answer it.

Hypocritical? No I don't think so. I said I was ok with what Trudeau did at the time and I still am. I'm simply applying that standard forward to the hockey coach witch hunt.

I guess if you want a simple answer I'll say I'm fine with humor because it's funny. And I'm fine with Trudeau being in blackface because I don't see it as an issue (if you do see it as an issue, please repeat Trudeau's non-apology in my voice).

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747916 is a reply to message #747915 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 10:05

Hypocritical? No I don't think so. I said I was ok with what Trudeau did at the time and I still am. I'm simply applying that standard forward to the hockey coach witch hunt.

I guess if you want a simple answer I'll say I'm fine with humor because it's funny. And I'm fine with Trudeau being in blackface because I don't see it as an issue (if you do see it as an issue, please repeat Trudeau's non-apology in my voice).

If you don't have an issue with it then why are you constantly bringing it up and criticizing him for it?

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747919 is a reply to message #747916 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 10:09

If you don't have an issue with it then why are you constantly bringing it up and criticizing him for it?

It wasn't a criticism when I brought it up here. It's a reference point that parallels the current hockey coach witch hunt we're watching. When it's a similar event to the next big cancel culture movement, I'll bring it up then too as a reference point.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747931 is a reply to message #747919 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 10:14

bigEfromGP wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 10:09

It wasn't a criticism when I brought it up here. It's a reference point that parallels the current hockey coach witch hunt we're watching. When it's a similar event to the next big cancel culture movement, I'll bring it up then too as a reference point.

You guys are ruining Bill Peters' big thread. This is the end of his 15 minutes of fame, so please be respectful and take your political arguments to the political thread. Bill needs this.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747929 is a reply to message #747845 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 13:47

Dog Abuse man! Where was PETA when you needed them ..

GOLD!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747846 is a reply to message #747844 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:36

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:35

Extreme example. Eric Reid is playing.

Plus Kaep turned into a really bad NFL quarterback.

This is fine.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747867 is a reply to message #747841 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:31

Quote:

Daniel Carcillo
@CarBombBoom13

@OHLHockey
game in Guelph

I'm in no way saying that these coaches couldn't be dinks. But does anyone other than failed NHLers feel this way?

A couple points here:

1) Anyone still playing is unlikely to say anything. It's a potential career killer. Hockey labels players as trouble-makers and then it's almost impossible to break free of that - even moving teams.

2) Stars are less likely to get abuse because they have the most power on the team. If you are abusive to Jarome Iginla, and he says something then you're going to get fired - the team doesn't pick coaches over superstars very often. For bubble guys, they're the most likely to get bullied by coaches because they know their whole career depends on being considered a good soldier - and that means not making waves.

3) Most of these guys think they're trying to be Scotty Bowman - who was known for picking whipping boys. Vyacheslav Kozlov was apparently that guy for the Red Wings. He never chose Guy LaFleur or Steve Yzerman as the guy who he went after.

4) A lot of the players who are getting verbally abused don't really understand it's abusive unless it's so beyond the pale that it's impossible to ignore. Hockey culture is similar to army culture where it's been ingrained that people won't play hard enough unless they've been fire-tested by their coaches. You listen to a lot of stories about coaches, and they're over-the-top - and the players laugh about them as just something they survived and had to put up with - they'll often even give that coach credit for making them the player they became - and then when they inevitably coach some team, whether pro, minor pro or just their kids rep team - often they're imitating what they saw and the cycle begins anew.

I guarantee we hear lots of stories over the next while about players who say "he was really hard on me, but it was good" while telling stories about coaches doing and saying ridiculous things. I would bet that there's a lot more nightmare stories in the juniors and minor leagues too where the coach has ultimate power over player's career - you don't play and you don't get noticed, so kids just have to swallow hard and take it.

Honestly we're only a few years removed from the realization about how bad hazing rituals were in junior hockey - and those date back forever. Gretzky talked in his first book years ago about being made to run naked through the park with the other rookies when he was with the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, and then getting picked up by police who were in on the joke and held naked in a prison cell... It was told as an amusing anecdote, and the kind of thing everyone had to go through then - it just wouldn't be accepted any more.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747877 is a reply to message #747867 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

So Bill Peters won’t be coaching the Flames in Buffalo while Treliving tries to figure a way out of this predicament. Geoff Ward will fill in.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747879 is a reply to message #747867 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 16:44

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 14:31

Quote:

Daniel Carcillo
@CarBombBoom13

@OHLHockey
game in Guelph

A couple points here:

1) Anyone still playing is unlikely to say anything. It's a potential career killer. Hockey labels players as trouble-makers and then it's almost impossible to break free of that - even moving teams.

2) Stars are less likely to get abuse because they have the most power on the team. If you are abusive to Jarome Iginla, and he says something then you're going to get fired - the team doesn't pick coaches over superstars very often. For bubble guys, they're the most likely to get bullied by coaches because they know their whole career depends on being considered a good soldier - and that means not making waves.

3) Most of these guys think they're trying to be Scotty Bowman - who was known for picking whipping boys. Vyacheslav Kozlov was apparently that guy for the Red Wings. He never chose Guy LaFleur or Steve Yzerman as the guy who he went after.

4) A lot of the players who are getting verbally abused don't really understand it's abusive unless it's so beyond the pale that it's impossible to ignore. Hockey culture is similar to army culture where it's been ingrained that people won't play hard enough unless they've been fire-tested by their coaches. You listen to a lot of stories about coaches, and they're over-the-top - and the players laugh about them as just something they survived and had to put up with - they'll often even give that coach credit for making them the player they became - and then when they inevitably coach some team, whether pro, minor pro or just their kids rep team - often they're imitating what they saw and the cycle begins anew.

I guarantee we hear lots of stories over the next while about players who say "he was really hard on me, but it was good" while telling stories about coaches doing and saying ridiculous things. I would bet that there's a lot more nightmare stories in the juniors and minor leagues too where the coach has ultimate power over player's career - you don't play and you don't get noticed, so kids just have to swallow hard and take it.

Honestly we're only a few years removed from the realization about how bad hazing rituals were in junior hockey - and those date back forever. Gretzky talked in his first book years ago about being made to run naked through the park with the other rookies when he was with the Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, and then getting picked up by police who were in on the joke and held naked in a prison cell... It was told as an amusing anecdote, and the kind of thing everyone had to go through then - it just wouldn't be accepted any more.

Sure. But it’s out now. They never mistreated a star player, or a late bloomer that became a star? As far as I can tell from Twitter dan carcilo had the hardest life in the history of the universe playing pro sports for a living. And mike commodore is hilarious but when I hear Babcock only played him 11 games in his final season I remember how he was the 9th dman for the Flames in their cup run and I think 11 games sounds about right. All I’m saying is one could easily mistake these complaints for sour grapes.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747861 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Member when the only thing wrong with the Flames were the locker room cancers Mike Smith and James Neal? I member

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747886 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Tue, 26 November 2019 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

*Suddenly, Kovalchuk's icetime skyrockets*

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747892 is a reply to message #747886 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 23:31

Hey, Russkie isn't a racial epithet!

It's funny that no one seems to have ever picked up on the fact of all the Russians McLellan has coached, only one goalie seems to have ever been able to stay in his good graces.

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747914 is a reply to message #747892 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 November 2019 08:27

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 26 November 2019 23:31

Hey, Russkie isn't a racial epithet!

It's funny that no one seems to have ever picked up on the fact of all the Russians McLellan has coached, only one goalie seems to have ever been able to stay in his good graces.

For two years even!

Well to be fair, there aren't a lot of Russians he's coached. They all are mysteriously gone within about a year of him joining a team, and I don't think any have joined a team that McLellan was the head coach of except maybe Anton Slepyshev who sort of broke into the NHL under him until he ran back to the KHL. Progress?

[Updated on: Wed, 27 November 2019 11:01]

Re: Allegations of Racism towards Flames' Bill Peters [message #747943 is a reply to message #747808 ]
Wed, 27 November 2019 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

1 Cup

Since Babcock and anyone with the last name Sutter are in a bit of hot water now, I suggest Flames get MacT as their HC.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Survivor 66
Next Topic:Survivor LXV (65)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca