F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Anthanasiou
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Anthanasiou [message #746248]
Tue, 05 November 2019 19:07 Go to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Some speculation that Anthanasiou is on the block or at least being inquired about in Detroit.

Given that GMs tend to look in places they shopped before, you have to think that Holland would be interested in AA. And, he should be. He would appear to be more of a finisher than passer, something our supercentres could use. While he's listed as a C, I would think he would slot in on the wing given his career faceoff percentage is lower than theNuge's prior to this year. His shot volume has increased each of the past two years as well - he's turning into a volume shooter. And his off-year shooting percentage was s 9.4%, sandwiched around years of 15 and 13.9%. (Oh, and right now he PDO is a ridiculous .820.)

Any suggestions for returns? (Keep in mind his cap hit is $3M this year and he's an RFA at the end of the season.)

RIP Decade of Darkness

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Anthanasiou [message #746249 is a reply to message #746248 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 19:07

Some speculation that Anthanasiou is on the block or at least being inquired about in Detroit.

Given that GMs tend to look in places they shopped before, you have to think that Holland would be interested in AA. And, he should be. He would appear to be more of a finisher than passer, something our supercentres could use. While he's listed as a C, I would think he would slot in on the wing given his career faceoff percentage is lower than theNuge's prior to this year. His shot volume has increased each of the past two years as well - he's turning into a volume shooter. And his off-year shooting percentage was s 9.4%, sandwiched around years of 15 and 13.9%. (Oh, and right now he PDO is a ridiculous .820.)

Any suggestions for returns? (Keep in mind his cap hit is $3M this year and he's an RFA at the end of the season.)

If Yzerman is high on Pulju, I'd definitely be up for a deal around him :) Anthanasiou would be a great winger for Nuge or McDavid.

The timing in the season could make his contract though. Lots of season left where he could have a big bounce back with the right situation.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Anthanasiou [message #746251 is a reply to message #746249 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 23:05

If Yzerman is high on Pulju, I'd definitely be up for a deal around him :) Anthanasiou would be a great winger for Nuge or McDavid.

The timing in the season could make his contract though. Lots of season left where he could have a big bounce back with the right situation.

Sadly, in this situation, Puljujarvi doesn't help balance the cap. Need a real roster player or two headed the other way. So, while he can be the primary piece, it can't be him and picks and/or prospects.

RIP Decade of Darkness

Re: Anthanasiou [message #746252 is a reply to message #746251 ]
Tue, 05 November 2019 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Hibernia wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 20:36

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 05 November 2019 23:05

Sadly, in this situation, Puljujarvi doesn't help balance the cap. Need a real roster player or two headed the other way. So, while he can be the primary piece, it can't be him and picks and/or prospects.

Probably would have to be a decent pick (2nd rounder) + Gagner in addition to Pulju. Wonder if it could work with Chaisson and demoting Manning and replacing him with a near league minimum D.

Probably still not a very competitive offer, unless Yzerman thinks he's robbing us by getting Pulju. Maybe if Pulju was Russian.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Anthanasiou [message #746258 is a reply to message #746252 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I think this is a type of player who could be had. He had a tough negotiation with Holland last year, so as long as Holland thinks he can deal with that again this summer then I would see what they are looking for. I would have to include JP & add in close to equal salary. He is a former 50 point guy so would need to add something decent.

My proposal is:
JP, C. Jones & Gagner (salary dump)
For
AA & a 3rd rd pick (they have 2 this year)

Thought is they will want more than just JP for a 50 point guy who is very fast & young still with controllable years ahead. Don’t want to give up Jones, but he has some cache out there & that is what they are looking for....more young Dmen. We get the pick to equalize the trade a bit.

Not sure what Stevie Y thinks of JP, but definately good to inquire.

Re: Anthanasiou [message #746272 is a reply to message #746258 ]
Wed, 06 November 2019 15:34 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

4 Cups

He had 18 goals in 64 games, 16 goals in 71 games, then jumped to 30 goals in 76 games last year. He's got 1 goal and is a team worse -18 in 14 games this year.
The question I have with him is what's his problem this year, what is he and what is he worth as he will need a new contract? He's coming off a 2 yr, 3 mill per season contract which he got from Holland. You'd hope that Holland would know him well.

Depending on what he does this season, I would be pretty wary of giving him a lot more than what he makes than the 3 mill he's getting.

The issue with JP is a smart GM should realize that JP is a big time gamble as he's not a proven NHLer right now and there is no guarantee he will be an NHL. The only reason why a team would even have interest in JP is his draft pedigree. I would suggest that if JP was even a 2nd round pick, no team would be interested in him. So the Oilers would have to throw in some salary like a Gagner or Manning to make it work, JP plus a pretty good sweetener like a pick or one of their young dmen to make it happen.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 November 2019 15:38]

Previous Topic:The Future of Jesse Puljujärvi
Next Topic:John Shannon to OEG
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca