This day on February 27
Acquired: Ryan O'Marra (2007) Robert Nilsson (2007)
Departed: Ryan Smyth (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Scott717257, Slug, oilgal, gretzky9994, Oiler Prime, BlueLineKing7, Stawny, Smyth_Legend, kbell, ajd_19, Aussie_Oil

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Who wears the vacant A?
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Who wears the vacant A? [message #741125]
Fri, 26 July 2019 11:51 Go to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

New Alternate Captain[ 51 vote(s) ]
1.Leon 22 / 43%
2.Nurse 15 / 29%
3.Klefbom 2 / 4%
4.Chaisson 0 / 0%
5.Russell 1 / 2%
6.Gagner 2 / 4%
7.Other player 2 / 4%
8.No additional A 6 / 12%
9.Re-assign current group 1 / 2%

Midsummer, not much going on, time for a poll.

With Lucic moving out, there's an open A available for next season, and it's probably best that we beat this topic up for a bit.

Currently the leadership group is:
McDavid C
Nuge A
Larsson A

There are a few obvious candidates in Leon and Nurse, both appear to be part of Connor pre-game "crew", so one of them landing the open A seems the most likely. Anyone else come to mind? What about Klefbom? Or an older veteran, Russel for his "intangibles"? Chiasson for his cup ring and playoff experience? Something else altogether?

My vote is for Leon because he's part of the core group and signed long term, plus he's a great player.

I make music.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741130 is a reply to message #741125 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

jds308 wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 11:51

Midsummer, not much going on, time for a poll.

With Lucic moving out, there's an open A available for next season, and it's probably best that we beat this topic up for a bit.

Currently the leadership group is:
McDavid C
Nuge A
Larsson A

There are a few obvious candidates in Leon and Nurse, both appear to be part of Connor pre-game "crew", so one of them landing the open A seems the most likely. Anyone else come to mind? What about Klefbom? Or an older veteran, Russel for his "intangibles"? Chiasson for his cup ring and playoff experience? Something else altogether?

My vote is for Leon because he's part of the core group and signed long term, plus he's a great player.

Drai. 50G's gets you an A.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741133 is a reply to message #741130 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Anyone have any insider info on who the leaders in the room are?

We still need a 10 years younger Hendricks.

I don't have anything against Larsson (he might be a real stand up leader for all I know), but my picks....

McDavid C
Nuge A
Nurse A
Drai A

Nurse was captain of the Soo Greyhounds, and seems like a guy that is willing to speak up.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741137 is a reply to message #741133 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 13:41

Anyone have any insider info on who the leaders in the room are?

We still need a 10 years younger Hendricks.

I don't have anything against Larsson (he might be a real stand up leader for all I know), but my picks....

McDavid C
Nuge A
Nurse A
Drai A

Nurse was captain of the Soo Greyhounds, and seems like a guy that is willing to speak up.

Ugh.

No more fourth line captains please.

It's awfully hard to get the team's attention when you're a 10-minute a night player. Moreau was LESS effective as captain than he was as a foot soldier because he had to try to lead by example, but his game wasn't really conducive to it. That was fine for the guys who he'd been through the wars with, but new guys to the team, especially talented youngsters who were much better players than him? They just wondered why the fourth line plug kept yelling at them. Ditto Andrew Ference.

A meat-and-potatoes guy can be a good glue guy, and they can be a good teammate, but they're not captain material.

I voted Draisaitl, but I don't mind the idea of building the myth of Darnell Nurse a little more and then using it to hoodwink a GM down the road. Good player, but he's probably the most-overrated Oiler and I think the return for him could be really significant, so if a couple of our younger left shot d-men are able to make the jump in the next couple of years, he's maybe a perfect trade chip.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741139 is a reply to message #741137 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 14:47

I voted Draisaitl, but I don't mind the idea of building the myth of Darnell Nurse a little more and then using it to hoodwink a GM down the road. Good player, but he's probably the most-overrated Oiler and I think the return for him could be really significant, so if a couple of our younger left shot d-men are able to make the jump in the next couple of years, he's maybe a perfect trade chip.

Here's what I'd like to see regarding Nurse: the Oilers getting him a proper RHD who can move the puck through passing (Nurse is great a zone exits with skating).

He played 56% of ES minutes last year with Kris Russell. Another 8% with Matt Benning. 15% with Adam Larsson.

Of his 41 points, 9 goals and 22 assists were ES (total of 31 of 41 points were ES). What does Nurse look like if paired with an actual Top-4 partner?

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741140 is a reply to message #741139 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 15:00

Here's what I'd like to see regarding Nurse: the Oilers getting him a proper RHD who can move the puck through passing (Nurse is great a zone exits with skating).

He played 56% of ES minutes last year with Kris Russell. Another 8% with Matt Benning. 15% with Adam Larsson.

Of his 41 points, 9 goals and 22 assists were ES (total of 31 of 41 points were ES). What does Nurse look like if paired with an actual Top-4 partner?

Ideally, we flush Russell but we probably need someone with a right shot coming back. The free agent pickings are mighty slim right now:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/a ll/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

Only one guy left who scored over 10 points last year, and that's 35-year old Dan Girardi.

I wouldn't want someone on a long-term deal either - you'd want someone you can easily get rid of if he gets passed on the depth chart by Bear or Bouchard.

I still think the Oilers are in a lot better shape if we'd bought out Russell instead of Sekera...At least we'd have an extra puck mover. We still haven't seen any indication we're going to use the cap space for anything yet and I really hope it's not like the Pouliot/Eberle money that the team just never spent.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741144 is a reply to message #741140 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 15:20

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 15:00

Ideally, we flush Russell but we probably need someone with a right shot coming back. The free agent pickings are mighty slim right now:

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2020/caphit/a ll/defense/ufa/desc/1/right

Only one guy left who scored over 10 points last year, and that's 35-year old Dan Girardi.

I wouldn't want someone on a long-term deal either - you'd want someone you can easily get rid of if he gets passed on the depth chart by Bear or Bouchard.

I still think the Oilers are in a lot better shape if we'd bought out Russell instead of Sekera...At least we'd have an extra puck mover. We still haven't seen any indication we're going to use the cap space for anything yet and I really hope it's not like the Pouliot/Eberle money that the team just never spent.

You don't care about DK's bottom line?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741145 is a reply to message #741144 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 15:48 Go to previous message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 26 July 2019 15:43

You don't care about DK's bottom line?

Not even a little.

Re: Who wears the vacant A? [message #741135 is a reply to message #741125 ]
Fri, 26 July 2019 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue is currently online overdue

No Cups

Drai or Nurse would both be good choices but I lean to Nurse wearing the A. He has the back of his teammates and the passion.

Previous Topic:Oilers select 1st rd (#8) - Philip Broberg
Next Topic:Draft Wrap-up
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca