This day on January 25
Acquired: Glenn Anderson (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Angelus, barnaclehead, sharks eat oilers, RomanianOiler, cinnamon, Oilers since 84, m_fish82, Bubble

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens [message #738201]
Wed, 29 May 2019 15:59 Go to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

Ottawa remains the only team in the league as poorly run as the Oilers. $2.6MM per year for two years for Anders Nilsson. That's Koskinen-contract bad.

.907 career average, but he was .914 in a small sample with Ottawa (24 games), so they've bet big...sounds pretty familiar, eh?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-re-sign-goalie- anders-nilsson-two-year-contract/

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens [message #738203 is a reply to message #738201 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 15:59

Ottawa remains the only team in the league as poorly run as the Oilers. $2.6MM per year for two years for Anders Nilsson. That's Koskinen-contract bad.

.907 career average, but he was .914 in a small sample with Ottawa (24 games), so they've bet big...sounds pretty familiar, eh?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/senators-re-sign-goalie- anders-nilsson-two-year-contract/

Nilsson - 2 years - 2.6M AAV - Age on Oct 2019: 29 - GP: 141 - Sav% 0.907 - GAA 3.04

Koskinen - 3 years - 4.5M AAV - Age on Oct 2019: 31 - GP: 59 - Sav% 0.904 - GAA 3.02

How is Nilsson's deal Koskinen-bad? That's a damn bargain!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens [message #738204 is a reply to message #738201 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

2 Cups

I was surprised by the number too, as I haven't really heard anything about this guy since he left Edmonton.

I am not doubting that the Senators are just poorly managed, but I also think that they are going to have to overpay free agents to play there for the next few years. Everyone knows they are going to suck, everyone knows it's been a toxic environment, any agent will know that they have to reach the cap floor (20 million below it currently). I wouldn't be surprised if they will have to pay quite a high premium for them to get any free agents.

Clean house or bust

Re: Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens [message #738207 is a reply to message #738204 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 16:23

I was surprised by the number too, as I haven't really heard anything about this guy since he left Edmonton.

I am not doubting that the Senators are just poorly managed, but I also think that they are going to have to overpay free agents to play there for the next few years. Everyone knows they are going to suck, everyone knows it's been a toxic environment, any agent will know that they have to reach the cap floor (20 million below it currently). I wouldn't be surprised if they will have to pay quite a high premium for them to get any free agents.

Nilsson's been hanging around the league since he left. He's beaten the odds...the Oilers kill almost as many goalie careers (Khabibulin, Deslauriers, LaBarbera, Scrivens, Fasth, Bryzgalov, etc.) as they do coaching careers. That said, he's been mediocre almost the entire time:

2016-17 - Buffalo 26 GP, .923 2.67
2017-18 - Vancouver 27 GP, .901, 3.44
2018-19 - Vancouver 12 GP, .895, 3.09
2018-19 - Ottawa 24 GP, .914 2.90

He was briefly a world-beater in Buffalo in a tiny sample size, but other than that, he's been the same guy he was here. Mediocre and unreliable.

Although Kr55 makes a good point, even at the outrageous deal he got, it's still better than the ridiculous one we gave Koskinen.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens [message #738465 is a reply to message #738207 ]
Fri, 07 June 2019 09:31 Go to previous message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

It’s a bad deal, but it’s a good deal of your GM is Peter Chiarelli. Fans would count their blessings.

#firebob

Re: Anders Nilsson signs w/ Sens [message #738206 is a reply to message #738201 ]
Wed, 29 May 2019 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 29 May 2019 15:59

I don't agree with you. If you look at the goalie market and how many teams can use some help, I don't think Nilsson's deal is that bad at all. Koskinen's deal is bad. As we get closer to July 1 and into free agency, I think there will be some pretty mediocre goalies being well paid.

Previous Topic:Foo Becomes a Flamer
Next Topic:2019 World Championships
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca