This day on January 25
Acquired: Glenn Anderson (1996)

Happy Birthday To: Angelus, barnaclehead, sharks eat oilers, RomanianOiler, cinnamon, Oilers since 84, m_fish82, Bubble

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736816]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:08 Go to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

2 Cups

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/kelly-mccrimmon-named -general-manager-of-the-vegas-golden-knights/c-307164982

Quote:

VEGAS (May 2, 2019) - Vegas Golden Knights President of Hockey Operations and General Manager George McPhee announced today, May 2, that Kelly McCrimmon has been promoted to General Manager of the Vegas Golden Knights, effective September 1, 2019. In this new role, McCrimmon will represent the Golden Knights at the league's General Managers Meetings and be the point of contact for other NHL GMs. McCrimmon will report to George McPhee, who will continue to be responsible for all hockey operations decisions and oversee the club's hockey operations team as the Golden Knights President of Hockey Operations.

Well, he clearly was a wanted man. Perhaps he used the Edmonton opportunity as leverage into a promotion.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 May 2019 10:10]

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736817 is a reply to message #736816 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:08

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/news/kelly-mccrimmon-named -general-manager-of-the-vegas-golden-knights/c-307164982

Well, he clearly was a wanted man. Perhaps he used the Edmonton opportunity as leverage into a promotion.

Glad we could help! lol.

Hopefully he is terrible as GM!!!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736820 is a reply to message #736817 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

This is why Vegas wasn't allowing permission. They were working on an offer. My guess is he got what he wanted from the Oilers, went back to Vegas and they gave him what the Oilers offered. If you can get what you are looking for with the team you are currently with, why leave.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736821 is a reply to message #736820 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:13

This is why Vegas wasn't allowing permission. They were working on an offer. My guess is he got what he wanted from the Oilers, went back to Vegas and they gave him what the Oilers offered. If you can get what you are looking for with the team you are currently with, why leave.

Well, obviously you leave for the chance to work with MacT, Lowe, 2 Gretzky's, Messier, Coffey, Howson, and family and friends of all of the above, and the great Bobby Nicks.

This guy just has no respect for the chance to work with such greatness. Glad we didn't get him now that i think about it.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736828 is a reply to message #736821 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:16

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:13

Well, obviously you leave for the chance to work with MacT, Lowe, 2 Gretzky's, Messier, Coffey, Howson, and family and friends of all of the above, and the great Bobby Nicks.

This guy just has no respect for the chance to work with such greatness. Glad we didn't get him now that i think about it.

icon_rolleyes Yes, yes, yes. Old boys club. hahahaha. Geeze, I haven't heard that more than 1000 times.

If you get offered the job you want in a place like Vegas, a team you helped build and are familiar, even if the Oilers said they would fired everyone. Why would you leave Vegas? If I was him, just based on lifestyle alone, I wouldn't. People can say "well they have McDavid and Leon". That's great but who cares. Look at this years playoffs. All the teams with all the superstars are done. Carolina will probably sweep their way into the Eastern final with WHO?

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736830 is a reply to message #736828 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 09:35

If you get offered the job you want in a place like Vegas, a team you helped build and are familiar, even if the Oilers said they would fired everyone. Why would you leave Vegas? If I was him, just based on lifestyle alone, I wouldn't. People can say "well they have McDavid and Leon". That's great but who cares. Look at this years playoffs. All the teams with all the superstars are done. Carolina will probably sweep their way into the Eastern final with WHO?

Maybe he hates living in Vegas. I knew a couple of guys that went to UNLV. One left after a year and transferred to UBC because he didn't like liking in Vegas.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736832 is a reply to message #736830 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:58

Maybe he hates living in Vegas. I knew a couple of guys that went to UNLV. One left after a year and transferred to UBC because he didn't like liking in Vegas.

In fairness UBC is the UNLV of the north.

Maybe he just liked working for a competently run hockey team. We'll probably never know.

This is fine.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736835 is a reply to message #736832 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 11:09

In fairness UBC is the UNLV of the north.

Maybe he just liked working for a competently run hockey team. We'll probably never know.

Taking out the Oilers negativity for a minute. I get it's hard to do. If you are McCrimmon why would you leave?

Let's for a minute pretend that Katz called up McCrimmon and told him that he would personally fire anyone that Kelly wanted. I mean anyone you can think of. If Kelly wanted, it would be a ghost town in the office. So the old boys club is GONE and he can bring in who ever he wants.

Vegas offered you the GM job, with a new contract and a fat raise. He wouldn't have to do anything, not even pack 1 box and he just got everything he wanted. If I was him, there is nothing the Oilers could offer me assuming he got what he wanted to make me leave. Unless he hated his boss or hated Vegas the City, what possibly could the Oilers offer him to get him to leave?

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736833 is a reply to message #736830 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well clearly he doesn't mind it. I get that in here, it's all about blaming the Oilers for everything because they have pissed away any faith that even a fan like me once gave them. I fully admit that I was an optimist for the team but this season really crushed my faith in them. I expected a bounce back, it didn't come.

When it comes to McCrimmon. He wanted to be an NHL GM. The team that brought him into the league and who he helped build offered him the GM job. SO he got the job he wanted. I recently heard they are having a presser to announce a new long term contract. So financially he got the commitment and the probably fat raise he would get if he came to the Oilers. So taking all the Oilers negativity out of it, as a person, if you got what you wanted and you don't have to move, why would anyone leave? If it was me, I'd have to really hate living there to leave.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736824 is a reply to message #736820 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Lowetide going on and on about control. Implying the reason McCrimmon isn't coming is lack of control. I have no clue if that is true, maybe it is. But taking away the anger and mistrust for the current Oilers management away and just thinking about it logically for a minute. If you are an assistant GM like McCrimmon. You are the current "IT" guy. The guy who every hockey guy outside of Edmonton says is the sexy pick and your goal is to be a GM in the NHL. If your current team that gave you your first NHL assistant GM job, a team who you helped build, a team that is doing well and the bonus is lifestyle wise, you get to live in a place like Vegas, if your current teams says "We value you, we want to keep you, we know you want to be a GM, be our GM." Why on earth would you leave?

I get that the thing to do right now is to trust nothing that the Oilers do. They don't deserve any trust. But even if Nicholson said "Kelly, other than Katz and myself, we will get rid of anyone you want, just say the word" why would you leave Vegas if you get the same job as GM of an NHL team? I am not sticking up for the Oilers, I am just looking at it as a person and if I was McCrimmon and I wanted to be a GM and my team gave me the job, I wouldn't leave.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736826 is a reply to message #736824 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

In theory, it should be very easy to get a top GM candidate when you have the best player in the world signed for 7 more years in his twenties.

But here we are, looking at a list of Hunter/Burke/Wayne's brother...

Clean house or bust

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736829 is a reply to message #736826 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:31

In theory, it should be very easy to get a top GM candidate when you have the best player in the world signed for 7 more years in his twenties.

But here we are, looking at a list of Hunter/Burke/Wayne's brother...

Take a look at this years playoffs. Having top tier players, doesn't seem to mean a hell of a lot. Columbus swept a team who's regular season record was up there with the best ever, has the hart trophy winner and scoring champ and the probably vezina winner. Islanders swept away Crosby and company. Canes beat the Cup champs and are about to sweep their way into the East finals with who on their team?

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736839 is a reply to message #736829 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

This is an outlier year.

5 out of the last 6 cups belong to Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin. All 1st overall draft picks, all top players at their position. Connor McDavid should certainly help your chances.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736841 is a reply to message #736839 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 11:43

This is an outlier year.

5 out of the last 6 cups belong to Patrick Kane, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin. All 1st overall draft picks, all top players at their position. Connor McDavid should certainly help your chances.

I agree, I think this season is not the norm for the most part but my point is, you don't need to have a top 5 player to win. Does it help? Sure. But what you really need is a good team, that gets a few breaks and has a hot goalie at the right time. Columbus is a classic example. They were a good team that barely made the playoffs yet they whipped Tampa who had one of the best regular seasons ever. They got timely scoring and are riding a red hot Bob.

The Oilers in 2006 barely made the playoffs. They had 1 really, really good dman in Pronger who was great but the rest of the defense was just OK. They had a deep team forward wise but no real stars. But Roloson played out of his mind for a couple of months, they got some breaks and if Roloson doesn't get taken out, they probably win the cup. If Roloson had of just been good, not insanely good, I doubt they would have made it out of the first round.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736844 is a reply to message #736841 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 10:52

This is an outlier year.

I agree, I think this season is not the norm for the most part but my point is, you don't need to have a top 5 player to win. Does it help? Sure. But what you really need is a good team, that gets a few breaks and has a hot goalie at the right time. Columbus is a classic example. They were a good team that barely made the playoffs yet they whipped Tampa who had one of the best regular seasons ever. They got timely scoring and are riding a red hot Bob.

The Oilers in 2006 barely made the playoffs. They had 1 really, really good dman in Pronger who was great but the rest of the defense was just OK. They had a deep team forward wise but no real stars. But Roloson played out of his mind for a couple of months, they got some breaks and if Roloson doesn't get taken out, they probably win the cup. If Roloson had of just been good, not insanely good, I doubt they would have made it out of the first round.

I'd take my chances with Tampa Bay's team vs Columbus over and over again in a rematch.

The 2006 Oilers had Pronger. Pronger is a star. We can't discount that. He changed the chances of any team he played for. He made the cup final in his first year with Edmonton, won the cup in his first year with Anaheim, and made the final again in his first year with Philadelphia. Another player at the top of his position. Edmonton did have a star. What Edmonton didn't have was a starting goalie. They rolled Markaanen, Conklin, and Morrison until the trade deadline. That team probably finishes well above 8th in the West with a goalie. Mike freaking Peca was a third line centre on that team.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736846 is a reply to message #736844 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 12:10

This is an outlier year.

I'd take my chances with Tampa Bay's team vs Columbus over and over again in a rematch.

The 2006 Oilers had Pronger. Pronger is a star. We can't discount that. He changed the chances of any team he played for. He made the cup final in his first year with Edmonton, won the cup in his first year with Anaheim, and made the final again in his first year with Philadelphia. Another player at the top of his position. Edmonton did have a star. What Edmonton didn't have was a starting goalie. They rolled Markaanen, Conklin, and Morrison until the trade deadline. That team probably finishes well above 8th in the West with a goalie. Mike freaking Peca was a third line centre on that team.

I would take Tampa all day long as well over and over again. My destroyed hockey drafts reflect that. But regardless, my point was teams can win without a super elite guys. It doesn't always happen but it does happen.

I know Pronger was a star but Roloson was unconscious for 2 months. They don't win without him being that good.

[Updated on: Thu, 02 May 2019 12:24]

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736852 is a reply to message #736846 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 12:21

This is an outlier year.

I would take Tampa all day long as well over and over again. My destroyed hockey drafts reflect that. But regardless, my point was teams can win without a super elite guys. It doesn't always happen but it does happen.

I know Pronger was a star but Roloson was unconscious for 2 months. They don't win without him being that good.

Pronger played 30 min a night and completely shut down his side of the ice when he was on. Ya Roloson played good but Pronger was more of a factor during that run than Roloson.

Let's go Brandon!! #FJB

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736856 is a reply to message #736852 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 13:21

This is an outlier year.

Pronger played 30 min a night and completely shut down his side of the ice when he was on. Ya Roloson played good but Pronger was more of a factor during that run than Roloson.

Never discounted that Pronger was great. He was a tower of power out there. Roloson had a 2.33 GA and a .927%. That's pretty outstanding numbers. If Roloson was .915 which is still good, not chance they go that far even with Pronger playing 30 mins a night.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736860 is a reply to message #736846 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

This is an outlier year.

You sound like you are auditioning for the Oilers GM job.
Step 1: Completely ignore what does and likely will work
Step 2: Roll the dice on hopeful outcomes regardless of low probability.
End result: Smartest guy in the room.

There is no amount of one offs you can present that outweigh the fact that the HUGE majority of cup winners have top end talent.
Sure there is the occasional underdog story but year after year there top end players hoisting the cup.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736869 is a reply to message #736841 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 11:52

This is an outlier year.

You're working very hard in this thread and I don't think I understand your point. Is it simply that the Oilers being a gong show isn't the only reason he picked Vegas? That's easily conceded, but it doesn't change the fact that the Oilers are a gong show, does it?

You seem upset to hear about the Old Boys Club...and I don't really understand that. You've agreed this year on a few occasions that Lowe, MacTavish and the rest of those clowns are basically bad for the Oilers. They sicken the team culture and they hurt our ability to attract talent at any level and to win games. So it likely WAS a factor in McCrimmon deciding he's happy to stay where he is as opposed to aggressively pursuing a position with the Oilers where he'd have to work with multiple assclowns all who are likely to undermine him.

As for superstar/deep team, you can't win without a deep team in hockey, because your superstar is not on the ice over half the time. That said, having a superstar does increase your chances because you're more likely to dominate that period where he is on the ice. It means your guys have to only at least hold serve when he's off and then you'll win more than you lose.

The 2006 Oilers were an exceptionally good team all season. The only reason that they were where they were in the standings was because their goaltending was bad. And not just a little bad, but ridiculously bad. Conklin was .880 on the season. Markkanen was .880 too. Morrisson was .884. They were horrendous. The Oilers added a competent goalie, and the team immediately found its footing and probably wins the Cup if Roloson doesn't go down in the Finals. It's not much different from the Blues this year, to be honest. Pronger made an incredible difference, and that's why he managed to take three teams to the Finals in 5 years.

Also the Old Boys suck.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736874 is a reply to message #736869 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 12:49

The 2006 Oilers were an exceptionally good team all season. The only reason that they were where they were in the standings was because their goaltending was bad. And not just a little bad, but ridiculously bad. Conklin was .880 on the season. Markkanen was .880 too. Morrisson was .884. They were horrendous. The Oilers added a competent goalie, and the team immediately found its footing and probably wins the Cup if Roloson doesn't go down in the Finals. It's not much different from the Blues this year, to be honest. Pronger made an incredible difference, and that's why he managed to take three teams to the Finals in 5 years.

Just to add a bit more context, Roloson's save percentage in that playoffs was .927. In his previous 2 regular seasons (not counting the lockout year), he was .927 in 50 games and .933 in 48 games (splitting time with Manny Fernandez). He was good in those playoffs for sure, but it wasn't some crazy anomaly.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736881 is a reply to message #736869 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 13:49

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 11:52

This is an outlier year.

You're working very hard in this thread and I don't think I understand your point. Is it simply that the Oilers being a gong show isn't the only reason he picked Vegas? That's easily conceded, but it doesn't change the fact that the Oilers are a gong show, does it?

You seem upset to hear about the Old Boys Club...and I don't really understand that. You've agreed this year on a few occasions that Lowe, MacTavish and the rest of those clowns are basically bad for the Oilers. They sicken the team culture and they hurt our ability to attract talent at any level and to win games. So it likely WAS a factor in McCrimmon deciding he's happy to stay where he is as opposed to aggressively pursuing a position with the Oilers where he'd have to work with multiple assclowns all who are likely to undermine him.

As for superstar/deep team, you can't win without a deep team in hockey, because your superstar is not on the ice over half the time. That said, having a superstar does increase your chances because you're more likely to dominate that period where he is on the ice. It means your guys have to only at least hold serve when he's off and then you'll win more than you lose.

Also the Old Boys suck.

Not sure whatelse you want me to say. I have said easily dozens and dozens of times that the Oilers management team has done a lousy job. The results speak for themselves. Something has to change.

I have said dozens of times that I think no one with ties to the hockey department should have a job. I even named names. Any of the pro scouts, Sutter, Mac T, Howson, should all be gone. I would have preferred them to be gone by now. I hope they will soon. So that covers off just about all of the Old Boys club.

I have said dozens of times, I don't expect K. Gretzky to get the job. Part of it is I don't know if he is ready for it. Part of it he was with the team while the gong show of Chia went on. I think the amateur side has been a lot better under KG's watch. I personally do not think he was that heavily involved in the pro side when the major sins happened. My reasoning is as soon as Chia was dumped, he started making moves to counter act some of the moves Chia made. i.e waiving/trading Spooner, waiving/demoting Manning. Allowing Manning to not play in the minors to screw up that team. In my mind, if Gretzky had his hand prints all over those moves, I don't see him making the moves he did. Another part is his name. I think there is too many Old Oilers, he's got the wrong name, it sends a bad message. Taking the name out of it for a second, even if he wasn't heavily involved in the pro side while Chia was here, he still has blood on his hands from the sins made because he is part of the management group. So I do not think he should get the job. I said it in another thread, I expect an outside guy to get hired as GM. I think Gretzky will stick around until the draft, then resign because if his goal is to be a GM, it won't happen in Edmonton so why stay. I do think there is value in him staying for another few months just to help the new guy transition. Especially if all the guys I mentioned get the axe like they should.

Do I expect Klowe and Wayne to get fired? No I don't. Would I be upset if they did? No I wouldn't. But if they don't get fired like I suspect, I am not going to lose sleep or fly off the handle.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736862 is a reply to message #736839 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This is an outlier year.

There's some pretty damn good players left in the playoffs too.

Avalanche - McKinnon (former #1 0V, 99 points), Rantanen (87 points, led NHL in scoring for half the season)
Sharks - Thornton (former #1 OV, 14th all-time in points), Burns & Karlsson (two of the top d-men in the league)
Blues - Pietrangelo (former #4 OV), deep deep team.
Stars - Seguin (former #2 OV, 80 points), Benn (former Art Ross winner)
Hurricanes - Aho (83 pts), Williams (Mr. Game 7), Slavvin (12 pts in 10 playoff games this year).
Islanders - Barzal (last yr's Calder winner)
Bruins - Marchand (99 points), Bergeron (multiple Selkes), Chara (former Norris winner)
Blue Jackets - Duchene (former #2 OV, ), Panarin (consistent pt per game player), S. Jones (former #4 OV)

It's not like there's no star power there.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736875 is a reply to message #736862 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

Anyways trying not to derail this thread with the '06 cup run and current star power in the playoffs it does suck that Vegas took away a good option for the Oilers. If it's true that McCrimmon did ask for full autonomy and that couldn't be guaranteed then that is a MAJOR issue and this franchise is going to flounder for years to come. Or it could be true that he was never granted permission and therefore didn't interview, hard to know what's what at this point.

Honestly, I don't know how much confidence a troika of Hunter, Burke and Kretzky inspires if that ends up being the case. Maybe Hunter is the guy to grab the bull by the horns and tell Lowe and MacT to GTFO of the room when discussing hockey matters but I could also see him being complicit with the OBC along with Burke and his hockey canada connects and Kretzky already being part of the org.

At this point I really don't care who they pick, I just NEED them to get it right this time. If we're all being honest we really have no idea about these guy's philosophies or how they could help the team until the rubber hits the road and deals start being made. I mean I was happy when we got Chiarelli and we've all seen how that turned out. I was hoping for McCrimmon but really that was only based off VGK being great for 1 season and the media pumping his tires..who really knows how much of that was him vs.McPhee.

They could hire Hunter, Guerin, Verbeek or Bugs Bunny for all I care as long as whoever comes in gets the job done and we really won't know that until deals start being made. I mean you could tell Chia probably wasn't the guy after the Reinhart deal two months into his tenure so whoever we hire his work this June/July should give us a decent indication if we got the right guy or not.

Let's go Brandon!! #FJB

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736877 is a reply to message #736862 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 12:41

This is an outlier year.

Avalanche - McKinnon (former #1 0V, 99 points), Rantanen (87 points, led NHL in scoring for half the season)
Sharks - Thornton (former #1 OV, 14th all-time in points), Burns & Karlsson (two of the top d-men in the league)
Hurricanes - Aho (83 pts), Williams (Mr. Game 7), Slavvin (12 pts in 10 playoff games this year).
Bruins - Marchand (99 points), Bergeron (multiple Selkes), Chara (former Norris winner)
Blue Jackets - Duchene (former #2 OV, ), Panarin (consistent pt per game player), S. Jones (former #4 OV)

Well sure. Every team has good players. Ottawa was last and got a great season out of Duchene. I am not discounting this year's crop of playoff rosters.

My point in the larger context of this discussion is that there are a select few players that alone should be attracting the top GM candidates. Connor McDavid doesn't appear to do that because of the dysfunction that comes with the Oilers. He brings massive opportunity, yet the best list the Oilers can come up with is Mark Hunter, Sean Burke, and Wayne's brother.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736878 is a reply to message #736877 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 14:29

Adam wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 12:41

This is an outlier year.

Well sure. Every team has good players. Ottawa was last and got a great season out of Duchene. I am not discounting this year's crop of playoff rosters.

My point in the larger context of this discussion is that there are a select few players that alone should be attracting the top GM candidates. Connor McDavid doesn't appear to do that because of the dysfunction that comes with the Oilers. He brings massive opportunity, yet the best list the Oilers can come up with is Mark Hunter, Sean Burke, and Wayne's brother.

While I replied to you, I wasn't really disputing your point. I was replying instead to the suggestion that this was now a superstar-free playoffs when that's far from the case.

I agree - having the best player in the game (and the guy who finished 4th in the league in scoring too) gives you a pretty good pillar to build a team around and it would take a complete asshat (or group of asshats) to screw that up and miss the playoffs 75% of the time.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736880 is a reply to message #736878 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Although, I do imagine this year wouldn't compare favourably with previous years as far as superstardom goes.

Looking at the top 10 scorers, only 2 players remain. Marchand and MacKinnon both tied for 5th.

If we extend that to the top 20, we only add 2 more. Panarin and Rantanen both tied for 17th.

26% of the league remains in playoff contention, yet only 20% of the league's top twenty scorers are represented.

It's a pretty interesting year nonetheless.

Clean house or bust

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736896 is a reply to message #736816 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

This promotion is pretty much a confirmation that McCrimmon had a massive hand in everything in Vegas. They didn't want to lose him and tossed him the official GM role just like that when the potential started getting real that he would have other opportunities.

The time to get McCrimmon probably would have been back when we were chasing our heavy hockey champion Chia, back when Lowe and gang were convinced the root of all their problems was that we weren't big and tough enough to compete with the pacific. Imagine if this org was run properly 4 years ago, and we didn't chase heavy hockey, and didn't need to find a GM that was OK with keeping MacT and Howson in prominent hockey ops roles? Maybe we would have actually looked at some of the new upcoming hockey minds instead of chasing a Chia. McCrimmon probably would have looked much more favourably on a team with Hall, Ebs, Nuge, McDavid, Drai, Klef, Schultz, Nurse and no major boat anchor contracts.

Oh well, this is simply what happens when your org is run by people that keep failing over and over again.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736902 is a reply to message #736896 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 17:24

Oh well, this is simply what happens when your org is run by people that keep failing over and over again.

I wouldn't want anyone who would consider working for this organization.

This is fine.

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736915 is a reply to message #736902 ]
Thu, 02 May 2019 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 19:00

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 02 May 2019 17:24

I wouldn't want anyone who would consider working for this organization.

Oh come now, surely there must be someone out there who is both brilliant and insane...

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Kelly McCrimmon Promoted to Vegas GM [message #736938 is a reply to message #736915 ]
Fri, 03 May 2019 10:00 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Having a super elite player on your team is definitely a real nice building block to have but it also creates challenges for your team. When you have a super elite player, you end up having to pay him a ton. McDavid is worth every single penny in my mind but at 12.5 mill, you could probably get 2 real good NHLers for what he makes. So if you have that guy on your team, you have to make cuts in other areas and find value players. Not always easy to do and unfortunately, the old GM and current management group did a piss poor job of that.

Previous Topic:Krueger Hired in Buffalo
Next Topic:NHL Playoff Bracket
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca