This day on August 11
Acquired: Petr Sykora (2006)
Departed: Daniel Lacroix (1999) Dean Arsene (2010)

Happy Birthday To: Phenom89, juju+sno, oilers99dan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » 2019 UFA CropPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 2019 UFA Crop [message #731931]
Wed, 27 February 2019 12:28 Go to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

So we obviously need to get better, but also seems like we'll need some help getting rid of some salary if we want to anything significant, but who would you target?

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/

UFAs of note:

G: Bobrovsky, Varlamov, McElhinney, Lehner, Mrazek.

With Koskinen signed to his new deal, a #1 is probably not in the cards, but any of those last 3 guys should be available for relatively cheap and I think they would make for a solid 1a/1b with Koskinen.

D: Erik Karlsson, Tyler Myers, Gardiner.

Karlsson is likely to have $10+ thrown at him from someone, and as much as I would love to see him with McDavid, I just don't think he'll be worth what he will get for much longer. Gardiner, another left shooting Dman. But Myers - that's interesting. Huge RH Dman, not having a great year as he has been moved to the left side and struggled a bit, but certainly someone we should look at IMO. Might be a bit cheaper than he might have been. He would be the team's best Dman.

F: Panarin, Duchene, Eberle, Skinner, Hayes, Ferland, Dzingel, and several others. Surely a bunch of them will be gone by July 1, but some interesting players in there to be sure.

Panarin with McDavid would be ridiculous, but he's probably getting around $10M from someone. Bringing Eberle back on the cheap? If we could add at the very least one legit top 6 guy with skill, ideally 2, I think we could have a decent turnaround.

People talk about 3-4 years to turn things around. To me that's BS and not acceptable. We have the best player in the world, and another in Draisaitl that is among the elite as well. We'll be going into year 5 of McDavid. No time to wait. I think if we can get rid of a few $ and a few solid signings in the offseason, we could turn things around sooner than later (assuming the OBC are not running the show)

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #731933 is a reply to message #731931 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

5 Cups

For goaltending. With a decent defense, I think Koskinen can be a middle of the road starter. Since Klefbom has come back, the Oilers defense for the most part has been better and all of a sudden Koskinen has been better Sekera has come in and actually been OK which has helped. I think they need a good back up though. I don't know much about Stolaz to know if he is that guy. It'd be great if he was because he would be cheap. If not, they need to go out and pay a back up. Any of the guys listed above would be way too expensive.

On defense. I do not think the Oilers defense is that bad moving forward. Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse are all pretty decent, top 4 guys who are cheap. I think they have something in Jones and I could see him being on the team next year full time in the 3rd pairing. I think they find away to get rid of Russell. Sekera so far hasn't been bad. Not sure you can move him or what he will be next year. I think Benning will be part of a package for a forward. I just don't see him as anything more than a bottom pairing guy who doesn't do anything overly bad but nothing overly good. This Persson guy intrigues me. Either way, they aren't going big game hunting for defense.

For forwards. I don't see them going big game hunting and they can't. Plus they don't need to go big game hunting, they have them in McDavid and Leon. They just need to fill in some lesser likes around them. Call me crazy but now that Chia is gone, I think Lucic gets traded. I don't see what bringing back Eberle does. The game is getting faster, he is not. He had a bounce back year last year after the trade which rubbed salt in the wounds. Now he is back to 13 goals, 28 pts, -9. Someone will sign him I bet for 4 mill less. It can't be the Oilers. They need more speed, not less.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #731939 is a reply to message #731931 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

I'll just comment on Tyler Myers as I watch him play a lot. He's actually having a great year, he's been on the 3rd pair most of the year behind Trouba and Buff, getting quite a bit of PP2 time. If he's played even a shift on the left side this year, I've forgotten it and it must have been early in the year because the Jets have played Ben Chiarot at LD2 with Buff most of the year. Myers most frequent partner is Dimitri Kulikov when Kulikov his healthy, played a lot with Joe Morrow as well. He is pretty good on the PK with his reach and he's a great skater, and his passing is above average for sure.

Myers is really good when around 18-20 minutes or so, more he struggles and less he struggles. He's not very physical, so don't expect a bruiser, he's not soft either, just not what you'd expect when you see the height.

I believe the Jets want to keep him, but because the market after Karlsson is so weak, he'd be able to get a lot more from a new team than he would from Winnipeg. I also believe that Myers is the Jets' contingency play with regards to Jacob Trouba. If Trouba won't sign long term this summer, then Myers may get re-upped.

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #731941 is a reply to message #731931 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

For Jebus sakes, no big UFA signings.

Outside of very specific cases (John Tavares), it doesn't work. Unless you can find a devalued asset or a guy who really, really wants to be here and will take less (Pat Maroon in St Louis), JUST SAY NO.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #732016 is a reply to message #731941 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 18:35

For Jebus sakes, no big UFA signings

Not sure if this is directed at me, but I specifically discounted the top guys - but to say "NO to UFA" is shortsighted at best. There is no one single avenue to build a team - a competent GM makes use of all the tools available to him. Those are the draft, trades, and free agency.

The fact of the matter is this team is barely NHL calibre. They need some upgrades - we can't just sit back and hope/wait for organic growth. I'm not advocating spending like a drunken sailor on UFAs, but they need to look at what is available.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #731976 is a reply to message #731931 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

UFAs:

D - I'd re-sign Kevin Gravel. For a Top-4 RHD, I'm likely looking for a trade.

RW - I have a feeling Eberle wants to come back to Alberta, either Edmonton or Calgary. It's not like the Oilers couldn't use him, and it's not like they haven't missed him since he left. Recruiting ex-Oilers might rub some the wrong way, but recruiting good players shouldn't. If the price and term are right, I do believe there could be a fit. Probably the best fit, actually.

Joonas Donskoi and Mats Zuccarello might fit as Top-6 RWers also.

C - Marcus Johansson intrigues me as a 3C, again, depending on what he signs for. I think Boston will try hard to sign him though, I'm not sure he makes it to July 1st.

There's not much out there that is wildly intriguing to me, in that it meets both a need and that the Oilers have the cap space to sign.

I do think there are some interesting players and fits that are one year away from UFA though, that might be cheaper than they've ever been to acquire (Toffoli, Barrie, Vatanen, Faulk, Spurgeon, Pysyk) and a few others who have had their name floated that could be interesting (Hamilton, Burakovsky).

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #731982 is a reply to message #731931 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

4 Cups

Not really any (many) big names this year so we'll see depth guys get obscene contracts.

Depth is what this FA crop looks like and depth is what the Oilers need. Too bad we won't have any money.

Forwards I'd bring back Eberle in a heartbeat. Would love Dzingle here, but he'll get a HUGE raise from some eastern team, possibly not even make July 1 with CBJ signing him. Beyond that, Donskoi.

D is a crapshoot. Would resign Gravel and look to make a deal to bring in a new body, much like mightyreasoner posts.

Goalie... man. Need someone to challenge Koskinen.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #731997 is a reply to message #731982 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I'm surprised at all love for Eberle. It seems not long ago, he couldn't get out of town quick enough for many on here. I personally would be ok with him on a cheap short term deal, say 2-2.5M x 2 years, but I doubt he takes that. I guess I just don't really know what he brings? He's not particularly fast, or hard to play against, and he's shown he's not great when the checking gets tight. Remind me what he brings that we already don't have lots of?

I make music.
https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/undermaker442/inexplicable

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #732003 is a reply to message #731997 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

jds308 wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 22:01

I'm surprised at all love for Eberle. It seems not long ago, he couldn't get out of town quick enough for many on here. I personally would be ok with him on a cheap short term deal, say 2-2.5M x 2 years, but I doubt he takes that. I guess I just don't really know what he brings? He's not particularly fast, or hard to play against, and he's shown he's not great when the checking gets tight. Remind me what he brings that we already don't have lots of?

Offense and depth scoring.

His point totals from the two seasons in New York are 59 and 28, which would have placed him third on the Oilers in scoring last year and and fifth in scoring on the Oilers this year.

If he would sign somewhere in the 4x5 years are $4 - $4.5 million, I think that's a decent contract. It would be nice to have at least one Top-6 RW and not a revolving wing consisting of Rattie (10), Chiasson (28), Puljujarvi (9), Kassian (16), Yamamoto (2), and so on.

Tyler Toffoli is another guy who might be very good in this role, but in reality, the Oilers actually could use TWO Top-6 RWers, because right now they have none.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #732005 is a reply to message #732003 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 23:11

His point totals from the two seasons in New York are 59 and 28, which would have placed him third on the Oilers in scoring last year and and fifth in scoring on the Oilers this year.

If he would sign somewhere in the 4x5 years are $4 - $4.5 million, I think that's a decent contract. It would be nice to have at least one Top-6 RW and not a revolving wing consisting of Rattie (10), Chiasson (28), Puljujarvi (9), Kassian (16), Yamamoto (2), and so on.

Tyler Toffoli is another guy who might be very good in this role, but in reality, the Oilers actually could use TWO Top-6 RWers, because right now they have none.

I'd be pretty nervous to give him $4MM+ OR term coming off a year where he won't crack 35 points. I don't watch enough Islanders games to know what has happened there this year, but that's a pretty precipitous drop and if that's the new normal, then he's not a $4MM player.

$2MMx2 years? Sure, I can get behind that...and who knows what happens this year given his off-year going in to UFA...but I think that's about as much as I'd be willing to throw at him, unless I was really certain that there was something - injury, significant change in role, etc - that had held him back this year.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #732006 is a reply to message #732005 ]
Wed, 27 February 2019 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 23:29

I'd be pretty nervous to give him $4MM+ OR term coming off a year where he won't crack 35 points. I don't watch enough Islanders games to know what has happened there this year, but that's a pretty precipitous drop and if that's the new normal, then he's not a $4MM player.

$2MMx2 years? Sure, I can get behind that...and who knows what happens this year given his off-year going in to UFA...but I think that's about as much as I'd be willing to throw at him, unless I was really certain that there was something - injury, significant change in role, etc - that had held him back this year.

Fair enough. I'm inclined to believe it is probably more of an outlier (just as his 76 point season turned out to be), and that he is likely to return to a more normal point total somewhere in or around the 50s. 28 isn't real old, and he *shouldn't* have the wear and tear that more physical forwards often do (Lucic, Backes, Okposo, etc.) It might be more of opportunity to buy low rather than buy high (say hello, Chiasson). But you never really know for sure.

Either way, right now he'd be our best RW and only natural Top-6 winger.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #732008 is a reply to message #732006 ]
Thu, 28 February 2019 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 23:47

Adam wrote on Wed, 27 February 2019 23:29

Fair enough. I'm inclined to believe it is probably more of an outlier (just as his 76 point season turned out to be), and that he is likely to return to a more normal point total somewhere in or around the 50s. 28 isn't real old, and he *shouldn't* have the wear and tear that more physical forwards often do (Lucic, Backes, Okposo, etc.) It might be more of opportunity to buy low rather than buy high (say hello, Chiasson). But you never really know for sure.

Either way, right now he'd be our best RW and only natural Top-6 winger.

I agree - at 28 with his style of game he shouldn’t be wearing out but it wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen that happen. Dany Heatley went from Olympic team member to out of the league pretty quickly, for example. Maybe he bounces back, but that’s three down years in a row with a steep drop in production this year. $16-18MM is a lot to gamble on whether this was a down year.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733199 is a reply to message #732008 ]
Fri, 15 March 2019 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Interesting topic that Gregor had with Strudwick and Chiasson. I have said a few times, I would resign Chiasson. At worse he's a proven bottom 6 NHLer who this season shown he can potentially move up and be productive. At 650K, scoring 20 goals, he's easily has to be one of the biggest bang for your buck signings from the 2018 offseason. At 28, going to be 29 in Oct, he's not old. SO I would have no problem giving him a 2 yr deal which would be big for him because he's signed a lot of 1 yr deals. But the money is the thing.

Gregor asked what is people's line in the sand salary wise. Gregor said 1.5 mill is the limit. I'd tend to agree with him. Anymore than that, and I think they have to walk. Too big of a risk.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733226 is a reply to message #733199 ]
Sat, 16 March 2019 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I agree. If it is a 1 year deal, give him $1.5 million max. If it is a 2 year deal, offer $1.25 x 2 years max. That would be a fair offer. If he walks for more, so be it.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733236 is a reply to message #733226 ]
Sat, 16 March 2019 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Jakey wrote on Sat, 16 March 2019 07:46

I agree. If it is a 1 year deal, give him $1.5 million max. If it is a 2 year deal, offer $1.25 x 2 years max. That would be a fair offer. If he walks for more, so be it.

No more than a million imo.

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 pace: 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) after 64 games

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733460 is a reply to message #733236 ]
Mon, 18 March 2019 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Goose wrote on Sat, 16 March 2019 12:52

Here's what the convo should be;

"Alex, we'd like to offer you a 2-year deal worth 950,000 a year. We realize it may not be monetarily where you'd like, but it's a guaranteed contract."

He says no, see ya later.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733463 is a reply to message #733460 ]
Mon, 18 March 2019 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 18 March 2019 14:47

"Alex, we'd like to offer you a 2-year deal worth 950,000 a year. We realize it may not be monetarily where you'd like, but it's a guaranteed contract."

Wasn't the rumour around the deadline that he was asking for around $2M per on a multi-year deal? And that's why there was no extension?

My guess is the Oilers pay him too much, for too long, with a possible move restriction. Either that or he walks away for nothing.

I still stick to the position the Oilers should have moved him at the deadline.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733467 is a reply to message #733463 ]
Mon, 18 March 2019 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 18 March 2019 15:05

Wasn't the rumour around the deadline that he was asking for around $2M per on a multi-year deal? And that's why there was no extension?

My guess is the Oilers pay him too much, for too long, with a possible move restriction. Either that or he walks away for nothing.

Well if he's coming out and asking for 2 mill, that's not a bad starting point. It's supposed to be - players start high, teams start low, they meet in the middle sort of. I do not think a contract of 1.25-1.5 mill is that bad.

The Oilers need REAL NHLers. Unless you have a player on his entry level deal, how many real, bottom 9 guys are making 950K like is suggested? I would LOVE if they signed him for under 1 mill but I am being realistic here. Like they lucked out and hit a home run with him. But for every CHiasson there is a ton of Jokinen's.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733497 is a reply to message #733463 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I agree, they should have moved him at the deadline.

I don't remember hearing what his ask was, just that there was discussion but nothing came from it. If 2M was AC's sticking point, good on Keith for not agreeing to it. Recent history tells me Chiarelli likely would have jumped all over that.

He's been a pleasant surprise this year for the Oilers, there's no denying it. But for a guy who is having a career year, at 29 years of age, with the majority of his production via playing on 97 and 29's wing along with being the ONLY right shot on what is a stacked PP1 (w/ 97, 29, 93 and 77) is it really much of a surprise he's been able to put up the numbers he has?

I dunno. I'm not opposed to bringing him back at all, but 1.5M (an almost 1M raise) is too rich imo. Sure, he's had some production here but have his successes been a product of being the right shot with 97? Kassian had a pretty good stretch with 97. People around here have complained about Kassian's dollar amount. Sure he may not have put up the numbers Chiasson has this year, but you can't pay a guy in gold who is almost 30 based on 1-year of production.

What's his success been outside of playing with 97/29? Does he PK? Coming in next year at 30, does he have enough in the tank to contribute on a multi-year deal at a million and half per? The Oilers need bargains, and as much as a feel-good story Chiasson has been, 1.5M per on anything over a year is not a bargain. Heck, I'd argue 1.5M for a year isn't even a bargain. He's a candidate for regression, and if I were in Edmonton I'd put a burger bet down on Chiasson scoring less than HALF next year that he has this year.

Rant. Over.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733503 is a reply to message #733497 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 09:45

I agree, they should have moved him at the deadline.

For what though? The Oilers last year traded Maroon who had 14 goals and 30 pts at the deadline for a 3rd rounder and some no name probably never will be prospect. Chiasson at the Feb 25th deadline had 17 goals, 27pts and hadn't scored a goal in 18 games. So pretty close to Maroon numbers. So what does a 3rd rounder do for the Oilers realistically? A 3rd rounder is what 4 or 5 yrs away IF they make it and if the Oilers used it in the draft. The Oilers turned that 3rd they got for Maroon into Marody who signed with them. Marody has mostly been in the AHL this year. He looks like a guy that has a chance to make it in the future. He needs to have a real good offseason, improve his skating. Realistically for next season, he's probably a first call up guy who might be making the team full time if all goes well in the 20-21 season. So they turned Maroon, an NHLer to a guy who's 3 years away.

So I get the statement of trading away UFA's for assets to a degree but at the same time, the team needs to add and KEEP NHLers too if they are ever going to get better. I don't expect Chiasson to score 20 next year but even if he goes back to his usual 12+, they need that. They don't have enough guys who can score you 10+.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733513 is a reply to message #733503 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

My hope for Chiasson is he looks at what happened with Maroon and doesn't do that. Maroon had his best seasons with the Oilers and for whatever reason, found a place with the Oilers. He went out, chased the money, read the market wrong, it wasn't there. Ended up signing with the Blues for 1 yr and I am sure less than he would have got with the Oilers. He's had a bad year and it will cost him even more.

Chiasson is having a career year. Seems to fit with the Oilers. He's a guy that has gotten 1 yr deals year after year. My hope is he realizes he has it good with the Oilers and apparently he likes it here. He takes a little less in return for an extra year.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733520 is a reply to message #733513 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 10:52

My hope for Chiasson is he looks at what happened with Maroon and doesn't do that. Maroon had his best seasons with the Oilers and for whatever reason, found a place with the Oilers. He went out, chased the money, read the market wrong, it wasn't there. Ended up signing with the Blues for 1 yr and I am sure less than he would have got with the Oilers. He's had a bad year and it will cost him even more.

Chiasson is having a career year. Seems to fit with the Oilers. He's a guy that has gotten 1 yr deals year after year. My hope is he realizes he has it good with the Oilers and apparently he likes it here. He takes a little less in return for an extra year.

Agreed. The Oilers have dumped useful players way too often, assuming that they were easily replaceable. We could certainly have used Maroon's 22 points this year.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733523 is a reply to message #733520 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 11:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 10:52

Agreed. The Oilers have dumped useful players way too often, assuming that they were easily replaceable. We could certainly have used Maroon's 22 points this year.

Exactly. Who's to say he wouldn't score more than 22 pts on the Oilers. For whatever reason he worked in Edmonton better than anywhere else. Right now, they have to roll out Rieder on the 2nd or 3rd line who hasn't scored a goal in 58 games. Other than being faster than Maroon, I don't think Rieder has done anything to help the Oilers. I would guarantee Maroon would have more than zero goals if he was here instead of Rieder.

I am really happy that they turned the 3rd they got from Maroon into Marody who is further along in his development than a draft choice. I have hopes he turns into something but I would still take a legit NHLer in Maroon over a maybe in Marody. If all it took to get Marody was a 3rd, they could have easily kept Maroon, gave him the 2 mill they gave useless Rieder, then traded a 3rd for Marody.

Regardless, as you said. If the Oilers are ever going to improve, they have to stop trading real NHlers for futures.

[Updated on: Tue, 19 March 2019 11:59]

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733530 is a reply to message #733523 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I really hope that moving forward, the Oilers eliminate some of the guys who in my opinion don't bring it a lot of nights. Guys like Rieder, Lucic, previously Spooner. Rattie has to get sat for a long time before he picks up his game a bit but quickly fades away. I like Khaira, I think there could be a player but for a guy trying to establish himself as a full time NHLer and figure out where he fits, he sure goes invisible a lot of the time. Kassian was invisible for half the season. Before the trade, Strome took pretty much all of last season to find himself.

I understand that its unrealistic to expect the whole team to bring their A game every night. But how about bringing your A game lots of nights and when you are a bit off, bring your B game rather than going from A one night to D the next.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733531 is a reply to message #733530 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 13:03

I understand that its unrealistic to expect the whole team to bring their A game every night. But how about bringing your A game lots of nights and when you are a bit off, bring your B game rather than going from A one night to D the next.

Ya, those guys are called 'good players'. The Oilers dont have very many of them.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733533 is a reply to message #733531 ]
Tue, 19 March 2019 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Goose wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 14:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 19 March 2019 13:03

Ya, those guys are called 'good players'. The Oilers dont have very many of them.

Very true. Some of the guys used to be good players. Not sure what happened to them but for a few of them the drop off is extreme.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733602 is a reply to message #733533 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Before we go shopping we will need to shed money. And how many of you are happy with Koskinan playing 60 games a year? We are now looking at spending 2 to 3 mill for a back up who can play 30+ games a year

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733608 is a reply to message #733602 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 09:15

Before we go shopping we will need to shed money. And how many of you are happy with Koskinan playing 60 games a year? We are now looking at spending 2 to 3 mill for a back up who can play 30+ games a year

I think we might be looking for a starter still, to be honest.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733618 is a reply to message #733608 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 09:42

Unfortunately I’d side with you. 4.5M for a backup is great... glad we caught that one in our glove.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733623 is a reply to message #733618 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve.kreys  is currently offline steve.kreys

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:33

Unfortunately I’d side with you. 4.5M for a backup is great... glad we caught that one in our glove.

In the last two games it became obvious to me and a few others that Losskinen relied on his size and not talent in the KHL. I liked Dadbot and his family and believe we should have kept him over Mr Gloveless

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733633 is a reply to message #733623 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

steve.kreys wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 10:57

In the last two games it became obvious to me and a few others that Losskinen relied on his size and not talent in the KHL. I liked Dadbot and his family and believe we should have kept him over Mr Gloveless

Tough to argue that. Looking back, either that or a fresh start with 2 new goalies next season.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733624 is a reply to message #733618 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I think Koskinen needs to work on a few things and I am sure he will. While I don't think he will be an elite starter, I think he can be a mid range starter. He does have the ability to make really good saves at key times and he has shown the ability to play at a really high level. But I don't think he is a guy who can play 3/4 of the games. So I do agree, I think they definitely need to go out and spend some money on a good back up. Basically what they need to do is go out and get themselves another Koskinen type of back up. A guy who can play 30 games and give you decent starts and gives you a chance to win. A guy who if your starter has a rough patch, you have a guy who can play multiple games in a row. A guy who is a legit push for ice time. A true 1A and 1B. The Oilers before trading Talbot, were spending. 6.666 mill on goalies. I think they need to spend that much again. Spend 2-2.5 mill and go out and find a guy, preferably a guy with a proven track record. I do not think they can go out and roll the dice on a league min back up or someone with no history. I think the got lucky with Koskinen as it could have went really bad.

[Updated on: Wed, 20 March 2019 11:04]

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733636 is a reply to message #733624 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I wasn't too thrilled with the Koskinen signing. I didn't hate the term or money, I just hated the timing as it was WAY too early. But I see that Jimmy Howard just signed a 1 yr extension with the Wings for 5.1 mill. The guy is going to be 35 next week. He was making 5.291 mill and is .909 and a 3.05GA. That's a lot for a goalie that old who's mediocre.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733638 is a reply to message #733636 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 14:01

I wasn't too thrilled with the Koskinen signing. I didn't hate the term or money, I just hated the timing as it was WAY too early. But I see that Jimmy Howard just signed a 1 yr extension with the Wings for 5.1 mill. The guy is going to be 35 next week. He was making 5.291 mill and is .909 and a 3.05GA. That's a lot for a goalie that old who's mediocre.

I think it’s a tell of the goalie market this coming offseason. It’s a barren wasteland.

I could live with a Koskinen singing the same term as Howard’s. And they likely would have been closer to 5. But as much as the money is too dang high, that 3 year term is killer. Nearly half of McDavid’s contract will be wasted on a team with a goalie who can’t make a glove save.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733640 is a reply to message #733638 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 14:13

I think it’s a tell of the goalie market this coming offseason. It’s a barren wasteland.

I could live with a Koskinen singing the same term as Howard’s. And they likely would have been closer to 5. But as much as the money is too dang high, that 3 year term is killer. Nearly half of McDavid’s contract will be wasted on a team with a goalie who can’t make a glove save.

I still do not like the Koskinen signing again for the timing but I sort of understand it to a degree. If an aging goalie like Howard who for the whole year has said he wants to be back with the Wings signs for a team he doesn't want to leave for that much. Maybe Koskinen who's only 30 and at times plays really well could get the same if not more on the open market. I don't see it but I don't think Howard is worth 5.1 mill.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733648 is a reply to message #733640 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 14:40

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 14:13

I still do not like the Koskinen signing again for the timing but I sort of understand it to a degree. If an aging goalie like Howard who for the whole year has said he wants to be back with the Wings signs for a team he doesn't want to leave for that much. Maybe Koskinen who's only 30 and at times plays really well could get the same if not more on the open market. I don't see it but I don't think Howard is worth 5.1 mill.

Think Howard is 4M if the red wings miss the playoffs. Not a bad deal I guess compared to Koskinen. 1 year deal too.

IN the end, there was no reason to go all in on Koskinen like we did. Should have waited until he played 20+ more games at least. We paid him like he was for sure going to be a #1, and we may have ended up with a 4.5M backup and we're handcuffed trying to find a good replacement now. Just another example of brutal management, and it was nice of Nicholson to admit the decision to go long on Koskinen was a group decision.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733651 is a reply to message #733648 ]
Wed, 20 March 2019 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 March 2019 17:51

Think Howard is 4M if the red wings miss the playoffs. Not a bad deal I guess compared to Koskinen. 1 year deal too.

IN the end, there was no reason to go all in on Koskinen like we did. Should have waited until he played 20+ more games at least. We paid him like he was for sure going to be a #1, and we may have ended up with a 4.5M backup and we're handcuffed trying to find a good replacement now. Just another example of brutal management, and it was nice of Nicholson to admit the decision to go long on Koskinen was a group decision.

Ya, as others have mentioned, the term is really the killer. I dont know that there was an easily obtainable better option. But that doesn't mean you just sign the guy for 3 years. He's currently sitting 37th in save percentage among goalies with at least 10 games. I can't imagine there was a lineup of teams willing to give him a 3-year deal. And even if there was, he's not good, so let him walk.

But Oilers did what they always do. Show that they dont understand sample sizes and sign guys based on the hope that they can maintain their absolute peak performance over a full season (regardless of how many times it's shown they can't).

If you look at goalies with at least 30 games played, Keith Kincaid has the worst save % at .891. But if you look at his first 17 games, he was .916 which, if he had sustained that, would put him close to the top 10 in the league.

All players have ebbs and flows in a season. You dont make the NHL if you have no ability at all. But the Oilers are stuck in this mindset that they just need their guys to try a little harder or want it more, instead of realizing that you cant take a guys best game and just extrapolate it over 82 games and hope for the best.

Oilers Goal Differential

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733672 is a reply to message #733651 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

For Howard, his salary is 4 mill but the cap hit would be 5.1 because of the bonus would it not? For me, I don't care what a guy makes in salary, its the cap hit that is important.

When it comes to Koskinen, I am not sticking up for the contract. I have said many times, I didn't get it, nor do I like it at all. I pray it works out. But I am curious what do people actually think would be appropriate for him. I don't want people to go off giving out silly contracts with term or numbers that aren't realistic. You aren't going to sign anyone who's remotely good for 1 yr at league minimum. You aren't going to sign Koskinen for what he made or less on a long term deal lets get real. Here is a list of what has happened with him.

- He came in and behind the same team, with the same systems and the same suspect defense, he flat out out played Talbot. It wasn't close. Talbot was making 4.1666.
- He took over the starters job. Whether he can be the guy, remains to be seen but for now, they picked him as their guy. So like it or not, you can't be paying him peanuts.
- On a bad defending, bad team, he's 22-18-4, with 4 shutouts, 2.89 GA and a .908%. Not amazing but not bad.
- He's 30 so he should have game left.
- Since coming over, he's worked really hard and improved a lot.
- In my estimation, there are a lot of teams who going into this coming offseason could be looking for a starter or have questionable guys. Carolina, New Jersey,Colorado, Ottawa, Islanders, Flyers, maybe Chicago(Crawford and his health seems to be an issue), Columbus, Florida, Calgary, then the Oilers would have been in that group.
- The goaltending UFA crop doesn't look very deep or overly promising.

Too me, the Oilers took a gamble on Koskinen by locking him up that early to the contract they did. If he can be a decent goalie, then the contract isn't that bad. 4.5 mill for a decent starer is really not bad. the problem is we do not know if he can do the job. So it's a BIG gamble. I know many of us don't think he would get what he did on the open market but then I looked and I listed 1/3 of the league who have big time question marks with goaltending and there isn't a ton of guys who are available that jump off the list to me. Then I see Howard get a 5.1 mil cap hit. Now 1 yr is great but I personally would not be giving a 35 yr old goalie a 5.1 mill cap hit. He screams Mike Smith, fall off a cliff with his game to me all day long. So I don't like the contract, I personally would not have given the contract because the Oilers aren't a team that can keep gambling like this but I honestly wonder if he could have gotten it on the open market. GM's do dumb things all the time, they read into guys all the time and I wonder if there is a GM or 2 who looks at Koskinen, saw the at times high level he did play at times, looks at his mediocre numbers and says "if he can do that on the tire fire that is the Oilers and their crap defense, imagine what he could do on my team that is better."

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733673 is a reply to message #733672 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

2 Cups

If the Oil thought he was a starter after the tiny sample size then any amount of money that fit under the cap on a one year deal. Locking him in at 4.5 x 3 is shooting yourself in the face if/when he underachieves.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: 2019 UFA Crop [message #733677 is a reply to message #733672 ]
Thu, 21 March 2019 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 21 March 2019 09:02

For Howard, his salary is 4 mill but the cap hit would be 5.1 because of the bonus would it not? For me, I don't care what a guy makes in salary, its the cap hit that is important.

When it comes to Koskinen, I am not sticking up for the contract. I have said many times, I didn't get it, nor do I like it at all. I pray it works out. But I am curious what do people actually think would be appropriate for him. I don't want people to go off giving out silly contracts with term or numbers that aren't realistic. You aren't going to sign anyone who's remotely good for 1 yr at league minimum. You aren't going to sign Koskinen for what he made or less on a long term deal lets get real. Here is a list of what has happened with him.

- He came in and behind the same team, with the same systems and the same suspect defense, he flat out out played Talbot. It wasn't close. Talbot was making 4.1666.
- He took over the starters job. Whether he can be the guy, remains to be seen but for now, they picked him as their guy. So like it or not, you can't be paying him peanuts.
- On a bad defending, bad team, he's 22-18-4, with 4 shutouts, 2.89 GA and a .908%. Not amazing but not bad.
- He's 30 so he should have game left.
- Since coming over, he's worked really hard and improved a lot.
- In my estimation, there are a lot of teams who going into this coming offseason could be looking for a starter or have questionable guys. Carolina, New Jersey,Colorado, Ottawa, Islanders, Flyers, maybe Chicago(Crawford and his health seems to be an issue), Columbus, Florida, Calgary, then the Oilers would have been in that group.
- The goaltending UFA crop doesn't look very deep or overly promising.

Too me, the Oilers took a gamble on Koskinen by locking him up that early to the contract they did. If he can be a decent goalie, then the contract isn't that bad. 4.5 mill for a decent starer is really not bad. the problem is we do not know if he can do the job. So it's a BIG gamble. I know many of us don't think he would get what he did on the open market but then I looked and I listed 1/3 of the league who have big time question marks with goaltending and there isn't a ton of guys who are available that jump off the list to me. Then I see Howard get a 5.1 mil cap hit. Now 1 yr is great but I personally would not be giving a 35 yr old goalie a 5.1 mill cap hit. He screams Mike Smith, fall off a cliff with his game to me all day long. So I don't like the contract, I personally would not have given the contract because the Oilers aren't a team that can keep gambling like this but I honestly wonder if he could have gotten it on the open market. GM's do dumb things all the time, they read into guys all the time and I wonder if there is a GM or 2 who looks at Koskinen, saw the at times high level he did play at times, looks at his mediocre numbers and says "if he can do that on the tire fire that is the Oilers and their crap defense, imagine what he could do on my team that is better."

I wont bother picking this apart but 90% of your justification is pure BS. The only thing you say with fact and relevance to his contract is "Since coming over, he's worked really hard and improved a lot."

The bottom line is that there was zero reasons to give him a raise and term.

Once again the entire hockey world, journalists, twitter, fans, analysts, EVERYONE thought it was a terrible deal.
Add in the last bit where the league realized his save % is about .250 glove side and it is even worse.

Give up RD. You can pretend not to by blinded by the Oilers propaganda but you constantly defend crap moves that have go this team where it is, an embarrassment.

In fact you are the exact type of fan that has gives Katz and Co the balls to keep doing what they are doing.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers Organization Rumblings
Next Topic:Summer Targets (Oilers)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca