This day on January 18
Acquired: Micah Aivazoff (1995) Len Esau (1995) Dean Kennedy (1995)

Happy Birthday To: brad233, gloss233, joker911

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » If you were the new GM
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 If you were the new GM [message #730674]
Fri, 15 February 2019 08:41 Go to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

Now that any small hope the Oilers had of making the playoffs is gone, I've started thinking about how to right the ship and turn the Oilers into a semi-respectable team. Turning the Oilers into a contender in one summer may be impossible, but a wild card team? Definitely doable.

If I'm the new GM, the main goal for me moving into the off season is shedding some of the horrible contracts. Bad contract #1 that has to go is Lucic. We all know the reasons, but for me Lucic needing to be protected for the upcoming expansion draft means he has to go almost no matter the cost. I don't believe buying Lucic out is the best option here. Only as a last resort should he be bought out; we've seen the crippling effect carrying dead cap space can have. That leaves trading Lucic as the only good option. Looking at the teams that may be willing to take on Lucic's deal, the list is pretty small. Teams will have to have A) the cap space and B) the willingness to be a non-competitive team for the next few years. Here's the list of teams I came up with that meet that criteria:

1. Ottawa
2. NYR
3. Detroit

That's a pretty short list. Lucic having a NTC is a problem, as you can cross OTT and DET off that list almost immediately. The only realistic option for Lucic in my mind is the Rangers. They are in a rebuilding stage, have the ability to adsorb Lucic's contract, and are a desirable destination.

In order to deal Lucic, you'd have to think the only real options are taking a bad deal back or adding significant sweeteners for taking on Lucic's contract. A "hockey trade" doesn't seem likely. Seeing how the goal here is to shed bad contracts, I would have no interest in taking a bad contract back (Marc Staal, Brendan Smith, etc.). For me, Yamamoto is the sweetener to add here. Would Lucic + Yamamoto be enough to get back a mid-level asset such as Vladislav Namestnikov? He's a $4 million cap hit, but with only 1 year left on his contract it's not bad enough to scare me away. If I have to add mid to late round picks here, I do this. While Namestnikov's stats for this year look pretty horrible (still better than any current Oiler winger), there is enough history with this player to suggest he might be able to return to being a solid middle six scorer.

After Lucic, the focus has to turn to Manning and Spooner. The hope here is that a team like Ottawa might need to get to the cap floor. If that's the case I do as much as I can to get rid of Manning. Even if it's Manning for a 7th conditional on him scoring 30 goals. You know you're not getting an actual asset back, but that shouldn't matter. My target for Spooner is to retain some salary and convince a team starving for offence like Carolina to take a flyer on him. If I can get any asset back for Spooner while retaining around $1 million, I take it.

After that, I look to make minor moves to improve scoring depth. Benning for Connor Brown immediately comes to mind. A deal with these as the primary pieces seems to make sense for both teams involved. Oilers get forward depth, Leafs get defensive depth.

I wouldn't make any blockbusters this summer to shake up the core. In all likelihood the Oilers will have a top 5 pick to move if they wanted, but unless the Panthers are serious about moving Huberdeau, or another big name becomes available, I keep that pick.

Ideally in free agency you'd be able to get a top 6 winger and a top 9 winger. Staying away from the big names like Stone, Panarin, Skinner; there are still some pretty decent options available. Targets would include Dzingel, Lee, Nelson, Ferland, Donskoi, Eberle, Panik, etc. Ideally we can sign Dzingel and Donskoi, but there are other options available.

Projecting an 83 million cap - ($1,333,333 for the Pouliot buyout, - $300,000 Gryba buyout, - $1,000,000 projected Spooner retained cap hit) = 80,366,667 in cap space for the Oilers to work with. Here is what I'm projecting:

Khaira (1,350,000) - McDavid (12,500,000) - FA Signing (4,500,000)
Namestikov (4,000,000) - Drai (8,500,000) - Puljujarvi (1,350,000)
Brown (2,100,000) - Nuge (6,000,000) - FA Signing (3,000,000)
Cave (675,000) - Brodziak (1,150,000) - Kassian (1,950,000)

Klefbom (4,167,000) - Larsson (4,166,666)
Nurse (3,200,000) - Russell (4,000,000)
Sekera (5,500,000) - Persson (1,000,000)

Koskinen (4,500,000)
FA Signing (2,500,000)

Total cap hit = 76,108,166. That leaves a little over 4.25 million for roster extras, if those FA signings want a little more money to come here, roster tweaks, etc.

I'm still not overly confident in that defense group or the goaltending, but to me this is a wild card team. Not a true contender by any means, but a team that can at least make the playoffs and not be an easy out. I realize that some of these moves may only be achievable in a perfect world (Lucic waiving his NTC, free agents signing here for around market value) but I've tried to be as realistic as possible. Thoughts? What would you do if you were the new GM?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: If you were the new GM [message #730746 is a reply to message #730674 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

It's gonna take more sweetener than Yamamoto to move Looch. My proposal was a first rounder. icon_eek

Trade Larsson to get it back. This plan was not met with any favour around here. But this would achieve some sort of culture change. Maybe Larsson is the sweetener for Looch? I don't hate Larsson. Honest. Go young for the D next year. We're gonna be bad for the next two years anyway. Tank for picks and make a Conner-Nuge-Draisaitl line! Art ross here we come!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: If you were the new GM [message #730751 is a reply to message #730746 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

I'm telling you, trade Larsson for Taylor Hall. He's a scoring winger, exactly what we need, and he's been hurt this season so obviously he's not going to fetch market value. And NJ could use some defence!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: If you were the new GM [message #730770 is a reply to message #730751 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 18:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 16:05

I'm telling you, trade Larsson for Taylor Hall. He's a scoring winger, exactly what we need, and he's been hurt this season so obviously he's not going to fetch market value. And NJ could use some defence!

Maybe we can start some rumblings about attitude problems so that they feel they need to sell low!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: If you were the new GM [message #730755 is a reply to message #730674 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

I think you get a good feeling for if there is a compliance buyout as a provision in the new CBA before you do anything with Lucic. Maybe there is a lockout, maybe they just agree to it as part of the agreement. Oilers, Hawks, and Kings will be pushing hard for it.

Last thing you want to do is give up a bunch of prospects or picks to get rid of him... or carry a ton of cap space for eternity for a buyout... and then the next summer there is a compliance buyout option.

I think I hold off a year and bite the bullet on Lucic next year.

And then use that money to sign UFA Taylor Hall. icon_wink

Re: If you were the new GM [message #730773 is a reply to message #730674 ]
Fri, 15 February 2019 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

hitmen4 wrote on Fri, 15 February 2019 09:41

Now that any small hope the Oilers had of making the playoffs is gone, I've started thinking about how to right the ship and turn the Oilers into a semi-respectable team. Turning the Oilers into a contender in one summer may be impossible, but a wild card team? Definitely doable.

If I'm the new GM, the main goal for me moving into the off season is shedding some of the horrible contracts. Bad contract #1 that has to go is Lucic. We all know the reasons, but for me Lucic needing to be protected for the upcoming expansion draft means he has to go almost no matter the cost. I don't believe buying Lucic out is the best option here. Only as a last resort should he be bought out; we've seen the crippling effect carrying dead cap space can have. That leaves trading Lucic as the only good option. Looking at the teams that may be willing to take on Lucic's deal, the list is pretty small. Teams will have to have A) the cap space and B) the willingness to be a non-competitive team for the next few years. Here's the list of teams I came up with that meet that criteria:

1. Ottawa
2. NYR
3. Detroit

That's a pretty short list. Lucic having a NTC is a problem, as you can cross OTT and DET off that list almost immediately. The only realistic option for Lucic in my mind is the Rangers. They are in a rebuilding stage, have the ability to adsorb Lucic's contract, and are a desirable destination.

In order to deal Lucic, you'd have to think the only real options are taking a bad deal back or adding significant sweeteners for taking on Lucic's contract. A "hockey trade" doesn't seem likely. Seeing how the goal here is to shed bad contracts, I would have no interest in taking a bad contract back (Marc Staal, Brendan Smith, etc.). For me, Yamamoto is the sweetener to add here. Would Lucic + Yamamoto be enough to get back a mid-level asset such as Vladislav Namestnikov? He's a $4 million cap hit, but with only 1 year left on his contract it's not bad enough to scare me away. If I have to add mid to late round picks here, I do this. While Namestnikov's stats for this year look pretty horrible (still better than any current Oiler winger), there is enough history with this player to suggest he might be able to return to being a solid middle six scorer.

After Lucic, the focus has to turn to Manning and Spooner. The hope here is that a team like Ottawa might need to get to the cap floor. If that's the case I do as much as I can to get rid of Manning. Even if it's Manning for a 7th conditional on him scoring 30 goals. You know you're not getting an actual asset back, but that shouldn't matter. My target for Spooner is to retain some salary and convince a team starving for offence like Carolina to take a flyer on him. If I can get any asset back for Spooner while retaining around $1 million, I take it.

After that, I look to make minor moves to improve scoring depth. Benning for Connor Brown immediately comes to mind. A deal with these as the primary pieces seems to make sense for both teams involved. Oilers get forward depth, Leafs get defensive depth.

I wouldn't make any blockbusters this summer to shake up the core. In all likelihood the Oilers will have a top 5 pick to move if they wanted, but unless the Panthers are serious about moving Huberdeau, or another big name becomes available, I keep that pick.

Ideally in free agency you'd be able to get a top 6 winger and a top 9 winger. Staying away from the big names like Stone, Panarin, Skinner; there are still some pretty decent options available. Targets would include Dzingel, Lee, Nelson, Ferland, Donskoi, Eberle, Panik, etc. Ideally we can sign Dzingel and Donskoi, but there are other options available.

Projecting an 83 million cap - ($1,333,333 for the Pouliot buyout, - $300,000 Gryba buyout, - $1,000,000 projected Spooner retained cap hit) = 80,366,667 in cap space for the Oilers to work with. Here is what I'm projecting:

Khaira (1,350,000) - McDavid (12,500,000) - FA Signing (4,500,000)
Namestikov (4,000,000) - Drai (8,500,000) - Puljujarvi (1,350,000)
Brown (2,100,000) - Nuge (6,000,000) - FA Signing (3,000,000)
Cave (675,000) - Brodziak (1,150,000) - Kassian (1,950,000)

Klefbom (4,167,000) - Larsson (4,166,666)
Nurse (3,200,000) - Russell (4,000,000)
Sekera (5,500,000) - Persson (1,000,000)

Koskinen (4,500,000)
FA Signing (2,500,000)

Total cap hit = 76,108,166. That leaves a little over 4.25 million for roster extras, if those FA signings want a little more money to come here, roster tweaks, etc.

I'm still not overly confident in that defense group or the goaltending, but to me this is a wild card team. Not a true contender by any means, but a team that can at least make the playoffs and not be an easy out. I realize that some of these moves may only be achievable in a perfect world (Lucic waiving his NTC, free agents signing here for around market value) but I've tried to be as realistic as possible. Thoughts? What would you do if you were the new GM?

Within reason Russell is the first contract I am sweetening to take off of the Oilers hands.
I am watching the Canes game right now and he is terrible. As my signature says I thought I missed him when he was hurt but he is worse than ever.
He has has stretches of usefulness in the past. None were good enough to justify his salary but sometimes he was able to not be a detriment.
Since he came back it is rare that a shift goes by that he doesnt make a massive mistake.
Almost every game he is directly responsible for a goal against.

I am 100% done with him as a player, would rather Benning.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731022 is a reply to message #730773 ]
Sun, 17 February 2019 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Well here goes:

1. Trade Sekera, Benning & Ethan Bear to Montreal for a 2nd & 4th rd pick. Habs need D & Bear is the bait to get it done. Save $7.45 Million cap space.
2. Trade Russell to New Jerey for a 5th rd pick. NJ really needs D & the have a lot of cap space to use.
3. Trade JP, Khaira & 3rd rd pick to Capitals for Burakovsky & Vrana. Caps save about $2 million in cap space & get JP who they believe can develope better. We get 2 potential top 6 wingers. Add roughly $2 million in cap space.
4. Trade Safin, Wells, Gagner, Manning, 2019 2nd rd pick (from MTL) & 2020 2nd rd pick for Codi Ceci & 4th rd pick. Ottawa takes on 2 extra contracts for next year to get some good prospects & picks for their rebuild. We get a 2nd pairing RH dman for 2 years,maybe 3-4 if he plays well for a contract. We save about $.500K in cap space.
5. Trade for Charlie Coyle (Min) for Cameron Hebig, Lagesson & Kassian. We add $1.25 million in cap space and get a top 6 winger on an expiring contract. Doyle ends up playing to his potential as a 2nd line winger finally.
6. We sign NyQuist (Det) for 3 x $5 million for a top 6 winger addition.
7. Sign a backup for $1 million, not sure who.

Total Cap Space = $ 77.67million

Team Roster 2019/20
LW. C. RW
Burakovsky-$3.35 McDavid-$12.5 Coyle-$3.5
Vrana-$2.0. Draisaitl-$8.5 NyQuist-$5.0
Lucic-$6.0 Nuge-$6.0 Chaisson-$1.5
Cave-$.675. Brodziak-$1.5. Marley-$.925
Extra Forward-$.650

LD. RD
Klefbom-$4.16. Larson-$4.16
Nurse-$3.2. Ceci-$4.95
Jones-$.720. Person-$1.0
Gravel-$.850

Goalies
Koskinen-$4.5
Backup-$1.0

Buyouts-$1.63

Total=$77.62 Million on a projected $82 million cap. We would have about $4.5 million in cap space remaining.

Tons of moves and have to get creative on a bunch of trades to get rid of cap space. Some decent forwards that not all will pan out, but Varna is the real deal IMO, Burakovsky played with McDavid in Erie & Coyl is a bit of a gamble, but has some upside IMO. Ceci is the one to get criticized for, But he plays 22 minutes a night and is RH. He has 2 more years before UFA & can bridge the gap before Bouchard can step in. This also keeps prospects like Yamamoto, Bouchard, etc down on the farm to develope better.

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731031 is a reply to message #731022 ]
Sun, 17 February 2019 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Step away from the bong please! You are basically giving away Sekera, that is just some more OBC shiite there!

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731060 is a reply to message #731031 ]
Mon, 18 February 2019 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Sun, 17 February 2019 13:00

Step away from the bong please! You are basically giving away Sekera, that is just some more OBC shiite there!

Giddy up, your turn genius!

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731035 is a reply to message #731022 ]
Sun, 17 February 2019 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Sun, 17 February 2019 11:24

Well here goes:

1. Trade Sekera, Benning & Ethan Bear to Montreal for a 2nd & 4th rd pick. Habs need D & Bear is the bait to get it done. Save $7.45 Million cap space.
2. Trade Russell to New Jerey for a 5th rd pick. NJ really needs D & the have a lot of cap space to use.
3. Trade JP, Khaira & 3rd rd pick to Capitals for Burakovsky & Vrana. Caps save about $2 million in cap space & get JP who they believe can develope better. We get 2 potential top 6 wingers. Add roughly $2 million in cap space.
4. Trade Safin, Wells, Gagner, Manning, 2019 2nd rd pick (from MTL) & 2020 2nd rd pick for Codi Ceci & 4th rd pick. Ottawa takes on 2 extra contracts for next year to get some good prospects & picks for their rebuild. We get a 2nd pairing RH dman for 2 years,maybe 3-4 if he plays well for a contract. We save about $.500K in cap space.
5. Trade for Charlie Coyle (Min) for Cameron Hebig, Lagesson & Kassian. We add $1.25 million in cap space and get a top 6 winger on an expiring contract. Doyle ends up playing to his potential as a 2nd line winger finally.
6. We sign NyQuist (Det) for 3 x $5 million for a top 6 winger addition.
7. Sign a backup for $1 million, not sure who.

Total Cap Space = $ 77.67million

Team Roster 2019/20
LW. C. RW
Burakovsky-$3.35 McDavid-$12.5 Coyle-$3.5
Vrana-$2.0. Draisaitl-$8.5 NyQuist-$5.0
Lucic-$6.0 Nuge-$6.0 Chaisson-$1.5
Cave-$.675. Brodziak-$1.5. Marley-$.925
Extra Forward-$.650

LD. RD
Klefbom-$4.16. Larson-$4.16
Nurse-$3.2. Ceci-$4.95
Jones-$.720. Person-$1.0
Gravel-$.850

Goalies
Koskinen-$4.5
Backup-$1.0

Buyouts-$1.63

Total=$77.62 Million on a projected $82 million cap. We would have about $4.5 million in cap space remaining.

Tons of moves and have to get creative on a bunch of trades to get rid of cap space. Some decent forwards that not all will pan out, but Varna is the real deal IMO, Burakovsky played with McDavid in Erie & Coyl is a bit of a gamble, but has some upside IMO. Ceci is the one to get criticized for, But he plays 22 minutes a night and is RH. He has 2 more years before UFA & can bridge the gap before Bouchard can step in. This also keeps prospects like Yamamoto, Bouchard, etc down on the farm to develope better.

The problem here is most of your proposed deals are not 1 for 1.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731049 is a reply to message #731035 ]
Sun, 17 February 2019 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Being the GM of this franchise while these jokers are involved is pure insanity. They get more of the same otherwise.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731397 is a reply to message #730674 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Bob McKenzie suggesting today that if Ottawa loses their big 3; Stone, Duchene and Dzingel, then perhaps Ottawa looks at a Lucic/Sekera to get to the cap floor.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731398 is a reply to message #731397 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 15:03

Bob McKenzie suggesting today that if Ottawa loses their big 3; Stone, Duchene and Dzingel, then perhaps Ottawa looks at a Lucic/Sekera to get to the cap floor.

Lucic is 4M real salary for a 6M cap hit to finish his deal after his July 1st, 2019 bonus.

Save us Ottawa!

Oh, but Lucic has to waive his NMC as well :(

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731399 is a reply to message #731398 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 16:08

Lucic is 4M real salary for a 6M cap hit to finish his deal after his July 1st, 2019 bonus.

Save us Ottawa!

Never know. He could waive... rtft

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731428 is a reply to message #731399 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 14:18

Save us Ottawa!

I've said it before, if Looch waives Katz could buy him a mansion or something.

Stone (with a new 4 year deal of course) for our first, Looch and Reggie??

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731466 is a reply to message #731428 ]
Thu, 21 February 2019 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 19:32

Save us Ottawa!

Would be a dream, but gotta think Ottawa is getting better offers than a 1st and a useless guy and a broken guy all getting paid top dollar.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731515 is a reply to message #731466 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mazankowski  is currently offline mazankowski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 February 2019 19:28

Save us Ottawa!

Would be a dream, but gotta think Ottawa is getting better offers than a 1st and a useless guy and a broken guy all getting paid top dollar.

If Ottawa if taking these sorts of contracts to get to the floor, look at the precedents of deals in years prior.

Arizona and Detroit: Datsyuk and the 16th overall pick to Detroit for Picks 20 and 53 and Joe Vitale

Arizona and Philly: Pronger and Grossman to Arizona for Sam Gagner and a conditional draft pick

Arizona and Florida: Bolland and Crouse (former 1st rounder) to Arizona for a 2nd and 3rd round pick

It's important to remember though that Datsyuk, Pronger and Bolland all were LTIR candidates, so insurance picked up the tab. In the case of Lucic, yes the cap hit is $6 million and the actual dollars are only $4 million but the organization is paying that, not insurance. If you want Lucic gone, you are gonna have to include a prospect and a high pick or some sort of swapped 1st round picks, which likely only can occur at this draft. But with Lucic getting his bonus on July 1, the trade couldn't be made until after that.

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731543 is a reply to message #731515 ]
Fri, 22 February 2019 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

mazankowski wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 08:25

Save us Ottawa!

If Ottawa if taking these sorts of contracts to get to the floor, look at the precedents of deals in years prior.

Arizona and Detroit: Datsyuk and the 16th overall pick to Detroit for Picks 20 and 53 and Joe Vitale

Arizona and Philly: Pronger and Grossman to Arizona for Sam Gagner and a conditional draft pick

Arizona and Florida: Bolland and Crouse (former 1st rounder) to Arizona for a 2nd and 3rd round pick

It's important to remember though that Datsyuk, Pronger and Bolland all were LTIR candidates, so insurance picked up the tab. In the case of Lucic, yes the cap hit is $6 million and the actual dollars are only $4 million but the organization is paying that, not insurance. If you want Lucic gone, you are gonna have to include a prospect and a high pick or some sort of swapped 1st round picks, which likely only can occur at this draft. But with Lucic getting his bonus on July 1, the trade couldn't be made until after that.

What about a Lucic for Kovalchuk swap? Both make too much money, and would probably benefit from a change of scenery. Lucic was good in LA that 1 season, and LA did try to re-sign him that summer (bullet dodged). Kovalchuk could be a wicked PP weapon with McDavid. I see up and downside to this for both teams, so maybe it could work.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: If you were the new GM [message #731739 is a reply to message #731543 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 18:49 Go to previous message

1 Cup

jds308 wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 11:05

mazankowski wrote on Fri, 22 February 2019 08:25

Save us Ottawa!

What about a Lucic for Kovalchuk swap? Both make too much money, and would probably benefit from a change of scenery. Lucic was good in LA that 1 season, and LA did try to re-sign him that summer (bullet dodged). Kovalchuk could be a wicked PP weapon with McDavid. I see up and downside to this for both teams, so maybe it could work.

I floated this out months ago. I'd pull the trigger.

Ristolainen [message #731726 is a reply to message #730674 ]
Sun, 24 February 2019 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

Some rumblings of a Tampa Bay/Ristolainen trade.

You want a 40 point right shot defenseman with term and on a reasonable deal, there is one. The opinions are very divided on him. It could be a similar situation as Justin Schultz with the Oilers. A young and talented offensive player being fed too many minutes.

Clean house or bust

Previous Topic:Hypothetical ‘BIG’ trade...
Next Topic:Oilers shopping Talbot?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2021.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca