This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison outPages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726257 is a reply to message #726256 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 17:13

Magnum wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 17:09

Yes. But also, somehow, magically, the Oilers have made the same types of terrible moves while having circulated several GMs.

Weird.

Loading up on borderline NHLer depth has certainly been the classic oilers move for a long long time. It is insane we are millions over the cap with only a handful of players any other team would want (unless we were taking their garbage in return)

Like our Prime Minister says: we have to look at the root causes.

Another way to say it, is that we need to look at the entrenched causes.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726253 is a reply to message #726250 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:46

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 16:26

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 22:30

Or Sekera isn't coming back and they know it.

That sounds right and the team just can't announce it.

I love the take of Hawks fans that they dumped a crappy contract on the Oilers (fair) and got Caggiula who they deem a good young player (clueless). At least they get that Garrison is a contract dump. lmao

Caggiula is a decent young player with upside. We got another 7th dman (just what we need). Dont get me wrong. I still think Chia has gone full numbnuts.

I’m not a big Caggiula fan, but he had some offensive instincts. His 7 goals on the season is more than double what any winger but Chiasson has this year, and his 20 in the calendar year of 2018 is the most of any player on the team not named McDavid, Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins. We lost that trade badly, picking up an unmoveable contract with another full year left on it. It’s baffling because if any of Sekera, Klefbom or Russell comes back it’s even money that Manning is a healthy scratch for the Oilers.

The Oilers big mistake on Caggiula was always expecting him to become a top-6 guy when every arrow even in his college stats pointed to a third liner with a bit of offence. As usual, those lofty misguided expectations led to disappointment from management. Are any of the “94s” that Chia talked about at the end of last season still with the team?

For what it’s worth, the Blackhawks have already waived Garrison and are likely to demote him tomorrow. Worth remembering that Chia thought he was the priority to sign over Chiasson in the Fall....

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726309 is a reply to message #726253 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoop  is currently offline shoop

No Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 00:06

For what it’s worth, the Blackhawks have already waived Garrison and are likely to demote him tomorrow. Worth remembering that Chia thought he was the priority to sign over Chiasson in the Fall....

So the signing of Chiasson is another thing to criticize Chiarelli for? Tending to the irrational with that one. Signing Chiasson is literally the only off-season move Chia made that is beyond question.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726322 is a reply to message #726309 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 16:41

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 00:06

So the signing of Chiasson is another thing to criticize Chiarelli for? Tending to the irrational with that one. Signing Chiasson is literally the only off-season move Chia made that is beyond question.

Who's criticizing Chiasson. I thought he was the best bet of the camp walk-ons to begin with. I also think he was the Oilers third choice when it came to who they signed. They prioritized signing Garrison over Chiasson, despite the fact that they didn't really need to - both players didn't play in the season opener.

I also believe that the team signalled from day one that they would rather have Upshall - gritty, low offence local kid - than Chiasson, but Upshall's inability to pass his physical knocked him out of the running.

Your defence of Chiarelli at this point seems comical, especially if you believe that the Old Boys still have their tentacles all over this disaster and need to be purged. Even if you believed that they played a big role in all his biggest mistakes (Reinhart, Lucic, so many others to choose from), what would it say if he's a GM who quietly lets those guys run the team in to the ground from the shadows while he takes all the heat?

Chiarelli is terrible at his job. So are Lowe, MacTavish, Howson and the assembled mass of idiots that pass for our management team. It should be galling to any Oilers fan to hear the GM say that you can't get puck moving defencemen mid-season when the Oilers have been notorious for giving them up for peanuts mid-season.

This is the same team that traded Tom Gilbert for Nick Schultz, Jeff Petry for a 3rd and a 4th round pick and Justin Schultz for a third round pick - all in season trades, and all unforced errors. Not all of that is on Chiarelli, but it's a trend with this organization. Remember just last Spring when there were rumours that one of the reasons they didn't shut down Klefbom was that they were trying to trade him!?

Petry is on pace for almost 60 points this season, so it's extra hilarious that MacTavish put him on the Show-Me-As-You-Turn-UFA contract because with Nikitin, Ference, and Fayne in the lineup, how many $4MM price point defenceman can you have?

I'm extra fed up this week with this. It's ridiculous, and the Oilers have set themselves up for huge issues if they have really let Chiarelli know he still has latitude to make the changes he wants, but he's getting fired at season's end if there's no post-season - which they seem to and which he seems to believe.

It's a flat-out recipe for disaster. He gave up one of the few players who might have a modicum of interest around the league in Caggiula - someone who was actually able to put up a few goals even in Edmonton! - and a third round pick for A) a 3 month rental and B) a player who is disliked by his team and fans, who is on a terrible contract, and who's played terribly this year. Even if you ignored the part where both players were regularly healthy scratched on those other teams, there's still the issue of the Oilers depth chart:

Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse, Sekera, Russell, Gravel, Benning, Jones, Bear, Bouchard

When the team is healthy, where do those two fit in? There's an argument there's definitely a place this season for Petrovic as a right shot guy (although I wonder if Bear wouldn't give you just as much right now), and as for Manning - he's an expensive healthy scratch when everyone gets back, and next year I think he could be in the minors or yet another buy-out with his $2.25MM deal.

I've yet to see any coherent defence of Chiarelli other than he could be worse. I don't see how that's possible. I see a guy who's consistently given up great players for pathetic returns, and now I see him desperate to make the playoffs with very few bullets in his gun...the only saving grace is that we're so tight to the cap, it may keep him from being able to make any really stupid move.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726258 is a reply to message #726250 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 23:46

Caggiula is a decent young player with upside. We got another 7th dman (just what we need). Dont get me wrong. I still think Chia has gone full numbnuts.

Big jump from a decent young player to a good young player.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726259 is a reply to message #726258 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

shoop wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 17:48

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 23:46

Big jump from a decent young player to a good young player.

Decent is still better then the other hot trash Chia has brought in. I'd take Cagguila over Strome and Spooner and Lucic that's for sure. What did we get? Another crappy boarderline NHL that's damn near 30. Why the hell did he even do it? Cause our scoring depth is so awesome we can fritter it away for nothing. It doesn't do a damn thing to make this team better.

[Updated on: Mon, 31 December 2018 18:14]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726260 is a reply to message #726259 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 01:12

Decent is still better then the other hot trash Chia has brought in. I'd take Cagguila over Strome and Spooner and Lucic that's for sure. What did we get? Another crappy boarderline NHL that's damn near 30. Why the hell did he even do it? Cause our scoring depth is so awesome we can fritter it away for nothing. It doesn't do a damn thing to make this team better.

That 28 point pace is some awesome depth scoring. icon_lol

Hitchcock didn't like Drake's game and I can't blame him.

A smaller side to these trades that no one has really touched on is that they are all molding this team into a real Hitchcock team.

Maybe Hitchcock becomes permanent head coach even if Chia does get fired.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726261 is a reply to message #726260 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

If he (Hitch) get's the OBC's vote, he doesn't get mine.

I have a picture of Lowe, MacTavish, and Howson on my mirror and every morning I look at them and tell myself: Magnum, you can accomplish anything you want today, just don't be like those punks, let the opposite of what they do, be your guiding light.

Then I look at my stomach for 30 seconds or more and hope that's enough time for my fat to burn away and my six pack to come through.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726262 is a reply to message #726260 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Who else is on a 28 point pace on this team in the bottom 6. Now just sounding like a Chia clown again.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726264 is a reply to message #726262 ]
Mon, 31 December 2018 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 18:44

Who else is on a 28 point pace on this team in the bottom 6. Now just sounding like a Chia clown again.

Depth scoring?

Bah. Overrated.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726310 is a reply to message #726259 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 01:44

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 01:12

I'd take Cagguila over Strome and Spooner and Lucic that's for sure.

Why throw Lucic in there? Of course, anyone would take Caggiula over Lucic with their current contracts.

Now just sounding like a mindless Chia hater by throwing in the one mistake that everyone agrees on. It doesn't make the case any stronger. Like I said, just mindless.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726311 is a reply to message #726310 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Who signed Lucic. Not only that the idiot traded Hall to accommodate him. You want mindless look at what your little hero has done to this team. Your a complete and utter waste here. I won't be reading your drivel henceforth.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726312 is a reply to message #726310 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

shoop wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 16:44

Now just sounding like a mindless Chia hater by throwing in the one mistake that everyone agrees on. It doesn't make the case any stronger. Like I said, just mindless.

Well, the days of me reading your drivel are now done. Welcome to my ignore list, jackass.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726313 is a reply to message #726312 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 18:14

Well, the days of me reading your drivel are now done. Welcome to my ignore list, jackass.

Haven’t bothered reading a word of this guy’s posts for a bit now. Would rather watch Chia destroy the little positives we have. Ugh. I feel sorry for the mess our next GM inherits, he’s mucked this up more than he did Boston.

#FireChia
#MOGA
#MOFGA

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726314 is a reply to message #726312 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 17:14

Can you actually set someone to ignore?

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726319 is a reply to message #726314 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 19:16

Don’t believe so, would have set you to ignore years ago. Kidding!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726321 is a reply to message #726319 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 19:22

Magnum wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 19:16

Don’t believe so, would have set you to ignore years ago. Kidding!

confused2 cry

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726316 is a reply to message #726312 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 00:14

Oooh. I'm a jackass.

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 00:05

Who signed Lucic. Not only that the idiot traded Hall to accommodate him. You want mindless look at what your little hero has done to this team. Your a complete and utter waste here. I won't be reading your drivel henceforth.

I get it you hate the Lucic signing.

Still doesn't really add to any of the discussion around the Manning - Caggiula trade.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726289 is a reply to message #726245 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 15:30

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:57

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:16

When it comes to Petrovic, I don't mind the trade. He's a big, physical, right shot who doesn't bring you much offence but according to his bio has good mobility, is OK defensively and can kill some penalties. All things the Oilers need right now badly. I think he's a definite upgrade on Garrison (who's gone). He is also an upgrade on Wideman, Gravel and Benning. All those guys have been playing, some of whom a decent amount of minutes. Gravel and Benning out of necessity have been on the PK which hasn't been good. The trade is Petrovic for a 3rd (they have 2) and someone elses 6th(Wideman). If he can help stabilize the defence a bit and stop the bleeding, I see it as an OK deal. They have lost 5 games in a row, are in danger of being out of the playoff race, they needed someone. Playing Benning or Wideman or Gravel at the same rate wasn't going to make things better.

For Manning, I don't know. He's a bottom pairing guy, Chia even admitted that. According to his bio, he moves the puck well which is nice but again doesn't produce a lot of points. He as a mean streak which I have NO problem with. I think he is much better than Garrison and Wideman. Probably better than Gravel and maybe Benning. Hard to say about Benning. The cost to get him. It's Caggulia for Manning. At this point, I don't know if it's good. At first glance, it sure doesn't look good. Caggulia is a guy who can score probably 10-15 goals but will probably cost you at least that many if not more defensively and his mistakes are typically the 5 star kind. The guy just doesn't seem to know how to do anything defensively and he's a freaking winger who has the easiest job. If he continues to be a guy who gives up more goals than he scores then maybe it might workout but I don't know if it can. It is definitely not a trade where anyone can say Chia won it right now.

For the injuries. Based on what Chia said, to me it doesn't sound like Russell is close. He's been out for 3 weeks tomorrow, missed 7 games so far and if all Chia will say is he's getting sort of close, tells me he's another week or more away. For Klef, it will also be 3 weeks tomorrow and it was 6-8 weeks so pick the middle and it's another month.

I sure hope these deals work out. The one thing I will agree with Chia totally on is his response on the "big name" dman that Rishaugh keeps asking about. I don't see them being out there at this point and if they are, taking out the fact that Chia doesn't seem to get good value in deals, the cost to get these guys for any team, let alone the Oilers would be ridiculous. It's not happening.

One question I do have is I wonder if with these 2 guys - Petrovic and Manning - coming in, #1 does it mean Benning is on borrowed time. I personally wouldn't be upset to offload him for anything. #2 since rightly or wrongly, Chia and sounds like Hitch as well, likes size and nasty, does being in these 2 guys who are big, physical, nasty guys, also free up say a Kassian? Salary will eventually have to leave the roster and other than skate fairly well, Kassian is a really expensive 4th liner who doesn't score.

The "big name" guy is a pipe dream for sure at this point. Every move we have made since we knew we were getting McDavid (before that too of course) has been a downgrade to the asset value this team holds. Today, we have next to nothing left to trade. Only a handful of players left on this team are worth anything and we need every single one of them playing their best to have any shot to win a game.

Also, no money. My understanding is picking up cap yesterday, they likely have to shed cap space to fit Sekera back into the lineup now.

I mean, maybe? But I think that's giving Chiarelli too much credit.

Last I heard, Sekera was skating. That's a far cry from playing in the NHL, but everything the media has been saying was that he was going to head to the AHL in the new year for some conditioning.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726290 is a reply to message #726289 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 00:00

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 15:30

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:57

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:35

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 31 December 2018 13:16

When it comes to Petrovic, I don't mind the trade. He's a big, physical, right shot who doesn't bring you much offence but according to his bio has good mobility, is OK defensively and can kill some penalties. All things the Oilers need right now badly. I think he's a definite upgrade on Garrison (who's gone). He is also an upgrade on Wideman, Gravel and Benning. All those guys have been playing, some of whom a decent amount of minutes. Gravel and Benning out of necessity have been on the PK which hasn't been good. The trade is Petrovic for a 3rd (they have 2) and someone elses 6th(Wideman). If he can help stabilize the defence a bit and stop the bleeding, I see it as an OK deal. They have lost 5 games in a row, are in danger of being out of the playoff race, they needed someone. Playing Benning or Wideman or Gravel at the same rate wasn't going to make things better.

For Manning, I don't know. He's a bottom pairing guy, Chia even admitted that. According to his bio, he moves the puck well which is nice but again doesn't produce a lot of points. He as a mean streak which I have NO problem with. I think he is much better than Garrison and Wideman. Probably better than Gravel and maybe Benning. Hard to say about Benning. The cost to get him. It's Caggulia for Manning. At this point, I don't know if it's good. At first glance, it sure doesn't look good. Caggulia is a guy who can score probably 10-15 goals but will probably cost you at least that many if not more defensively and his mistakes are typically the 5 star kind. The guy just doesn't seem to know how to do anything defensively and he's a freaking winger who has the easiest job. If he continues to be a guy who gives up more goals than he scores then maybe it might workout but I don't know if it can. It is definitely not a trade where anyone can say Chia won it right now.

For the injuries. Based on what Chia said, to me it doesn't sound like Russell is close. He's been out for 3 weeks tomorrow, missed 7 games so far and if all Chia will say is he's getting sort of close, tells me he's another week or more away. For Klef, it will also be 3 weeks tomorrow and it was 6-8 weeks so pick the middle and it's another month.

I sure hope these deals work out. The one thing I will agree with Chia totally on is his response on the "big name" dman that Rishaugh keeps asking about. I don't see them being out there at this point and if they are, taking out the fact that Chia doesn't seem to get good value in deals, the cost to get these guys for any team, let alone the Oilers would be ridiculous. It's not happening.

One question I do have is I wonder if with these 2 guys - Petrovic and Manning - coming in, #1 does it mean Benning is on borrowed time. I personally wouldn't be upset to offload him for anything. #2 since rightly or wrongly, Chia and sounds like Hitch as well, likes size and nasty, does being in these 2 guys who are big, physical, nasty guys, also free up say a Kassian? Salary will eventually have to leave the roster and other than skate fairly well, Kassian is a really expensive 4th liner who doesn't score.

The "big name" guy is a pipe dream for sure at this point. Every move we have made since we knew we were getting McDavid (before that too of course) has been a downgrade to the asset value this team holds. Today, we have next to nothing left to trade. Only a handful of players left on this team are worth anything and we need every single one of them playing their best to have any shot to win a game.

Also, no money. My understanding is picking up cap yesterday, they likely have to shed cap space to fit Sekera back into the lineup now.

I mean, maybe? But I think that's giving Chiarelli too much credit.

Last I heard, Sekera was skating. That's a far cry from playing in the NHL, but everything the media has been saying was that he was going to head to the AHL in the new year for some conditioning.

yeah, pretty sure this is just straight up panicking and trying to save the season. The season is very much becoming lost right before our eyes in this moment. Record is barely above this time last year as the wheels were falling off.

This management team will deal with clearing up space later, and just gotta hope there isn't another terrible trade.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726317 is a reply to message #726290 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 07:42

yeah, pretty sure this is just straight up panicking and trying to save the season. The season is very much becoming lost right before our eyes in this moment. Record is barely above this time last year as the wheels were falling off.

This management team will deal with clearing up space later, and just gotta hope there isn't another terrible trade.

Chia is trying to save his job. No doubt about that.

Did the Blackhawks waive Drake as well?

Cap Friendly lists both Drake and Garrison as NHL Non-roster. Not sure what that means. confused2

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726318 is a reply to message #726317 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slim Jim Phantom Call  is currently offline Slim Jim Phantom Call

No Cups

He’s a Canadian and has to have a visa for USA.

In fairness to Hall, I've wanted to throw a waterbottle at Eakins all season.
~nullterm 03/22/2014

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726320 is a reply to message #726318 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Ales Cooper wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 02:08

He’s a Canadian and has to have a visa for USA.

OK. I know the players also need a visa even on a Canadian team, for the games in the US. So I'm I just don't know the difference between the two visa types.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726323 is a reply to message #726138 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I'm thinking they saw Sekera in practice and he's not looking good, I think Petro and Manning will work out OK when settled. Manning hasn't played for a long stretch, and Petro hasn't had a steady roster spot. Garrison and Wideman were borderline useless. The only thing of value we gave up was the 3rd round pick, Cagguila is a dime a dozen.

I'm interested to see Kassian up top 3, that will cause a lot of havoc in the O zone, not sure how he pulls those minutes and still plays PK though...

[Updated on: Tue, 01 January 2019 21:39]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726324 is a reply to message #726323 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kassian in the top 3? Please tell me you are joking. How in the hell is he supposed to keep up with McJesus and Drai. Id rather see them throw Nuge in there. Might as well. We only have one offensive line anyway. Might as well load it up.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726325 is a reply to message #726324 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cosmicheretic  is currently offline cosmicheretic

No Cups

Babaganoosh2.0 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 21:53

Kassian in the top 3? Please tell me you are joking. How in the hell is he supposed to keep up with McJesus and Drai. Id rather see them throw Nuge in there. Might as well. We only have one offensive line anyway. Might as well load it up.

I disagree with Nuge on the first line as we need a semblance of a 2nd line to limit 1st line shutdown matchups. Kassian there is a joke though but... handcuffed by Chia who needs to be fired yesterday.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726326 is a reply to message #726324 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Kassian has good wheels. He probably can keep up. My issue with him though is he has become such a perimeter player. Guy button-hooks more than Eberle. Still wondering when Hitch is gonna get these bums on the 3rd/4th line to actually drive the net.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726329 is a reply to message #726326 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 22:05

Kassian has good wheels. He probably can keep up. My issue with him though is he has become such a perimeter player. Guy button-hooks more than Eberle. Still wondering when Hitch is gonna get these bums on the 3rd/4th line to actually drive the net.

His scoring touch has completely disappeared. By far the least productive forward among the regulars this year. But who knows, maybe a magical month on the top line and you can dump that contract later in the year for a bit of cap relief?

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726331 is a reply to message #726329 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 22:37

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 22:05

His scoring touch has completely disappeared. By far the least productive forward among the regulars this year. But who knows, maybe a magical month on the top line and you can dump that contract later in the year for a bit of cap relief?

What bothers me most about Kassian is how he wastes his chances. Learn to shoot man.

His shots are always like he’s in warm-up, with the snapshot taken with his weight on the off leg. Like he’s warming up a goalie. Like he’s given up on the shot before he even shoots it. Enraging.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726328 is a reply to message #726323 ]
Tue, 01 January 2019 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 21:35

I'm thinking they saw Sekera in practice and he's not looking good, I think Petro and Manning will work out OK when settled. Manning hasn't played for a long stretch, and Petro hasn't had a steady roster spot. Garrison and Wideman were borderline useless. The only thing of value we gave up was the 3rd round pick, Cagguila is a dime a dozen.

I'm interested to see Kassian up top 3, that will cause a lot of havoc in the O zone, not sure how he pulls those minutes and still plays PK though...

If Caggiula's a dime a dozen, it's a shame that Chiarelli doesn't have a bigger change purse. He's struggled to acquire wingers who can score. For the poster who pointed out Caggiula's scoring pace this year, here's all the forwards 82-game pace (note - most won't play 82 games.)

McDavid - 45-80-125
Draisaitl - 44-59-103
Niugent-Hopkins - 30-46-76
Chiasson - 42-11-53
Caggiula - 20-11-31
Khaira - 5-26-31
Rattie - 7-18-25
Rieder - 0-22-22
Lucic - 2-15-17
Puljujarvi - 9-6-15
Spooner - 9-5-14
Yamamoto - 6-6-12
Brodziak - 7-4-11
Kassian - 5-2-7
P. Russell, Marody, Gambardella - 0-0-0

I don't have really high regard for Drake Caggiula, but the winger depth on this team is awful. Outside of the top four forwards, one of whom was riding an unsustainable shooting percentage and is now injured, there is no other forward on the team on pace to score 10 goals over an 82 goal season, never mind the 20 goal pace that Caggiula had set. I know he hadn't scored since he came back from his injury, and I know there were issues with his game, but if he's a dime, then we've got about 8 nickels on the wings right now.

It feels like the plan is to try to shame the team in to producing more offence, while hoping that Puljujarvi and Yamamoto can suddenly overnight become the goal scoring studs that the team always wished they'd be...

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726332 is a reply to message #726328 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 22:35

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 01 January 2019 21:35

If Caggiula's a dime a dozen, it's a shame that Chiarelli doesn't have a bigger change purse. He's struggled to acquire wingers who can score. For the poster who pointed out Caggiula's scoring pace this year, here's all the forwards 82-game pace (note - most won't play 82 games.)

McDavid - 45-80-125
Draisaitl - 44-59-103
Niugent-Hopkins - 30-46-76
Chiasson - 42-11-53
Caggiula - 20-11-31
Khaira - 5-26-31
Rattie - 7-18-25
Rieder - 0-22-22
Lucic - 2-15-17
Puljujarvi - 9-6-15
Spooner - 9-5-14
Yamamoto - 6-6-12
Brodziak - 7-4-11
Kassian - 5-2-7
P. Russell, Marody, Gambardella - 0-0-0

I don't have really high regard for Drake Caggiula, but the winger depth on this team is awful. Outside of the top four forwards, one of whom was riding an unsustainable shooting percentage and is now injured, there is no other forward on the team on pace to score 10 goals over an 82 goal season, never mind the 20 goal pace that Caggiula had set. I know he hadn't scored since he came back from his injury, and I know there were issues with his game, but if he's a dime, then we've got about 8 nickels on the wings right now.

It feels like the plan is to try to shame the team in to producing more offence, while hoping that Puljujarvi and Yamamoto can suddenly overnight become the goal scoring studs that the team always wished they'd be...

This is the same vibe I’m getting as well.

It a miracle to me that Bouchard actually went back to junior. Especially after Panicky Pete immediately called off his search for a puck moving defender the moment Bouchard dropped down to 10th for the Oilers. I thought he was on the game sheet right from that moment.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726339 is a reply to message #726332 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am not advocating the trade at all. I don't know a ton about Manning other than lots of people think he is terrible. I prefer to actually see a player play before I decided but when the trade came down, I didn't quite understand why it was made, especially when I heard Chia say he is ideally a 3rd pairing guy which they have lots of. What I was surprised about the trade though is the all of a sudden love on for Caggulia. When he was an Oiler, many fans hated him. Most people in here hated the contract, thought it was a gross overpay. Lots of people in here felt he was over used, many thought he shouldn't play at all. He gets traded and all of a sudden he's great. icon_lol I don't like the trade but it's funny how Oilers fans are. Most players are a pile of garbage until they get moved then they are awesome.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726341 is a reply to message #726339 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 10:36

I am not advocating the trade at all. I don't know a ton about Manning other than lots of people think he is terrible. I prefer to actually see a player play before I decided but when the trade came down, I didn't quite understand why it was made, especially when I heard Chia say he is ideally a 3rd pairing guy which they have lots of. What I was surprised about the trade though is the all of a sudden love on for Caggulia. When he was an Oiler, many fans hated him. Most people in here hated the contract, thought it was a gross overpay. Lots of people in here felt he was over used, many thought he shouldn't play at all. He gets traded and all of a sudden he's great. icon_lol I don't like the trade but it's funny how Oilers fans are. Most players are a pile of garbage until they get moved then they are awesome.

I dont know if I have posted much about Cags here in the past but I am one who doesn't think he brings a whole lot to the table overall.

I am also one who thinks this trade was not a good idea.

It is a case of bringing in an asset in a place where things are set, bottom pairing players, and sending out one where our depth is the worst in the league, secondary scoring.

While Drake wasn't ideal he was likely our best secondary scoring winger outside of Chiasson. PC mentions over and over about how the team needs to allow less goals, and that is true, but in the next breath likes to remind everyone how hard it is to get top end D-men.
Sometimes you have to play the cards you have been dealt and in this case the Oilers lucked into some high end offensive talent. That shouldnt mean the solution is to ignore the rest of the forward lineup and keep re-arranging the blue line while downgrading assets repeatedly.

All that said, I did like what I saw from Manning in his first game.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726347 is a reply to message #726341 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 09:51

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 10:36

I dont know if I have posted much about Cags here in the past but I am one who doesn't think he brings a whole lot to the table overall.

I am also one who thinks this trade was not a good idea.

It is a case of bringing in an asset in a place where things are set, bottom pairing players, and sending out one where our depth is the worst in the league, secondary scoring.

While Drake wasn't ideal he was likely our best secondary scoring winger outside of Chiasson. PC mentions over and over about how the team needs to allow less goals, and that is true, but in the next breath likes to remind everyone how hard it is to get top end D-men.
Sometimes you have to play the cards you have been dealt and in this case the Oilers lucked into some high end offensive talent. That shouldnt mean the solution is to ignore the rest of the forward lineup and keep re-arranging the blue line while downgrading assets repeatedly.

All that said, I did like what I saw from Manning in his first game.

Like I said, I am not justifying the trade. I don't really like it personally but I just found it funny the backlash with losing Caggulia. Based on some of the comments, you'd think Caggulia was a star player which he wasn't. I think he is a bottom 6, borderline tweener NHLer. Yet you had fans/bloggers losing it over Caggulia leaving when similar guys a week ago would be calling him a brutal player. I didn't think trading for Manning was necessary.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 January 2019 10:31]

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726350 is a reply to message #726347 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Yeah, losing DC was not much of a loss.

Buuuuuuuut, this team seem incapable of finding cheap secondary scoring, so for most management teams, this wouldn't be a big deal. For this one, it probably will be.

I'd like to see a stat line on important goals scored, or goals scored in tight games. I seem to remember Drake scoring a lot of insurance markers as opposed to game breaking goals, which to me suggests scoring against weakened opposition, and therefore not as valuable.

We all know that guy that ups his tallies after all the heavy lifting is done, or can only score easy goals against easy teams. I wonder if that's the case with Drake? A goal against the Kings is not equal to a goal against the Lightning.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726351 is a reply to message #726350 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 10:39

Yeah, losing DC was not much of a loss.

Buuuuuuuut, this team seem incapable of finding cheap secondary scoring, so for most management teams, this wouldn't be a big deal. For this one, it probably will be.

I'd like to see a stat line on important goals scored, or goals scored in tight games. I seem to remember Drake scoring a lot of insurance markers as opposed to game breaking goals, which to me suggests scoring against weakened opposition, and therefore not as valuable.

We all know that guy that ups his tallies after all the heavy lifting is done, or can only score easy goals against easy teams. I wonder if that's the case with Drake? A goal against the Kings is not equal to a goal against the Lightning.

What you said is the reason I don't like it. They don't have enough wingers scoring right now. Caggulia scored a few goals, granted most of them were in a small flurry of games and he does tend to give up A TON defensively to the point he probably causes more goals than he scores but the Oilers right now can't be giving forwards who even sort of score. I hope it works out.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726358 is a reply to message #726351 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Garrison didn't report to the AHL, so he is on waivers again, this time for the purpose of voiding his contract....

https://www.tsn.ca/blackhawks-garrison-did-not-report-to-ahl -1.1234778

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726360 is a reply to message #726358 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 11:47

....Garrison didn't report to the AHL, so he is on waivers again, this time for the purpose of voiding his contract....

Ugh...if only the Oilers had had the sense to try to send him to Bakersfield first, maybe we could have dumped another bad contract in the Manning deal instead.

Meanwhile, Chicago is laughing. They now have Caggiula for Manning straight up, plus a little extra cap space and/or cash.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726368 is a reply to message #726360 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 12:04

Ugh...if only the Oilers had had the sense to try to send him to Bakersfield first, maybe we could have dumped another bad contract in the Manning deal instead.

Meanwhile, Chicago is laughing. They now have Caggiula for Manning straight up, plus a little extra cap space and/or cash.

Well.... cash yes, cap space no. Really just another negative spin from you on a really “meh” transaction. Not that I necessarily disagree with a lot of your complaints, but I think this is a case of excessive piling on - 10 yord penalty!! icon_biggrin

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726371 is a reply to message #726368 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

welcometotheOC wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 13:26

Adam wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 12:04

Well.... cash yes, cap space no. Really just another negative spin from you on a really “meh” transaction. Not that I necessarily disagree with a lot of your complaints, but I think this is a case of excessive piling on - 10 yord penalty!! icon_biggrin

No cap space for us - we were taking on a bad contract in Manning either way. But Chicago's saved both cap space and cash now.

We could have potentially sent Montoya away and saved his cap overage, or deleted Larkin or Vesey or even Keegan Lowe from our contract list if we'd thrown them in instead.

Re: Manning in, Caggiula and Garrison out [message #726376 is a reply to message #726371 ]
Wed, 02 January 2019 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

It's baffling to me that Chia still is the GM. I don't know if they want to wait till it's renewal time for season tickets holders to do it so they can say they are dealing with it or what. He shouldn't be the GM.

He has to have the worst assessment, contract negotiation and team assessment in the league.

We have no depth scoring and to trade someone that at least provides us with some goals is dumb.

To take back Manning with another year on his contract isn't bright. Taking back more money on this year towards our little LTIR money.

When will his reign end.....

Pages (5): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Next Topic:Pregame: New Jersey @ Edmonton (Game #70)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca