This day on December 12
Departed: Dave Semenko (1986) Josh Green (2002)

Happy Birthday To: carterfan, oilfan#1, Tupper, pronger's#1fan, bleeding copper and blue

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Chia Firing Poll
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Chia Firing Poll [message #724120]
Wed, 05 December 2018 18:57 Go to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

5 Cups

So, when does Chia get the can?[ 54 vote(s) ]
1.End of December - He isn't making it beyond the halfway point of the season. 9 / 17%
2.Just before the trade deadline - This assumes that the team is still in contention by then. 5 / 9%
3.The end of the season - Katz will finally get off his ass and clean out the entire front office. 31 / 57%
4.He won't be canned - it was all TMac's fault that the team sucked. 9 / 17%

So, one down, at least one more to go. Of course, I agree that the entire @#%@!$! OBC should be dumped, but since that's not likely to happen, let's just focus on how much more borrowed time Chiapet has after using his "Get out of Jail Free" card. At this point, I don't see him lasting beyond the halfway point of the season, especially with Stevie Y floating around out there (whom Bobby Burgers also has a history with, btw). What does everyone think?

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724125 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Just do it already!

And then throw money at Yzerman or John Davidson. Someone, please save this stupid organization.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724127 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

I shouldn't be surprised at the 2 people so far who think that Chia isn't getting canned given how godawful the front office has been. However, I am just optimistic enough to think that something will be done about him before this season is done, just like I was about TMac before he got the ax.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724131 is a reply to message #724127 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 20:02

I shouldn't be surprised at the 2 people so far who think that Chia isn't getting canned given how godawful the front office has been. However, I am just optimistic enough to think that something will be done about him before this season is done, just like I was about TMac before he got the ax.

Now you’re more optimistic than me! Hahaha

I think he at LEAST lasts the duration of the season. Another lost one. Another year of meaningless Oilers hockey with McDavid. Mind you... likely result no matter the GM tomorrow.

At least we have Progaganda Minister Stauffer telling us there is an internal solution to offensive right D with Bouchard, Persson, Jones and Bear on their way. Soooo 2 more meaningless seasons on the way?

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724140 is a reply to message #724127 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 19:02

I voted no firing because the front office is terrible and McDavid is probably good enough to drag this sad team near a playoff spot. That’s all the oilers need to be able to sell hope for next season.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724141 is a reply to message #724140 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 19:46

I voted no firing because the front office is terrible and McDavid is probably good enough to drag this sad team near a playoff spot. That’s all the oilers need to be able to sell hope for next season.

I really don't think that Bobby and the rest of the top Oil brass are really content with the state of the team right now which was why both TMac and Chia were on thin ice going into this season. TMac has fallen into the river and Chia is next. They're not going to wait until this season is down the toilet before making a move- it's likely just a matter of completing negotiations with a replacement (hopefully Stevie Y).

5-14-6-1

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724144 is a reply to message #724141 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 20:54

I really don't think that Bobby and the rest of the top Oil brass are really content with the state of the team right now which was why both TMac and Chia were on thin ice going into this season. TMac has fallen into the river and Chia is next. They're not going to wait until this season is down the toilet before making a move- it's likely just a matter of completing negotiations with a replacement (hopefully Stevie Y).

I don’t think even Stone Cold Steve Austin could save this team, let alone Steve Yzerman.

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724191 is a reply to message #724144 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 20:04

I don’t think even Stone Cold Steve Austin could save this team, let alone Steve Yzerman.

I don’t have a lot of belief in Steve Yzerman as the answer. I suspect he had a very strong management team around him in Tampa. Generally, I don’t believe most former players are cut out for a job as a manager. They don’t have any of the right experience.

If I were in Katz’s shoes, I’d do an exhaustive search and collect as
Many ideas as possible on how to fix the team. Interview everyone you can, ask them all what they’d do to fix the mess made by Lowe/Chia/MacT/Nicholson, take meticulous notes on all of it. Pick the person who’s best equipped for the job - skill and experience at negotiations, ability to delegate, lack of fear when it comes to hiring people smarter than them and openness to new ideas, decisive when necessary (ie. not Tambellini)but not impulsive (ie. not MacTavish). Give that person all the notes from all the interviews and let them see what they can do to turn the ship around...

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724197 is a reply to message #724191 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 22:13

Many ideas as possible on how to fix the team. Interview everyone you can, ask them all what they’d do to fix the mess made by Lowe/Chia/MacT/Nicholson, take meticulous notes on all of it. Pick the person who’s best equipped for the job - skill and experience at negotiations, ability to delegate, lack of fear when it comes to hiring people smarter than them and openness to new ideas, decisive when necessary (ie. not Tambellini)but not impulsive (ie. not MacTavish). Give that person all the notes from all the interviews and let them see what they can do to turn the ship around...

This is as pleasant a fantasy as the one I've had about being surrounded by hot-ass large-breasted women on a pile of cash bigger than any of the Great Pyramids. We can all dream because illusion is preferable to despair....

5-14-6-1

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724199 is a reply to message #724197 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Thu, 06 December 2018 02:13

This is as pleasant a fantasy as the one I've had about being surrounded by hot-ass large-breasted women on a pile of cash bigger than any of the Great Pyramids. We can all dream because illusion is preferable to despair....

Wait...Sounds eerily similar to my fantasy, except it isn’t the pile of cash that’s bigger than any of the Great Pyramids. icon_eek

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724201 is a reply to message #724191 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 23:13

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 20:04

I don’t have a lot of belief in Steve Yzerman as the answer. I suspect he had a very strong management team around him in Tampa. Generally, I don’t believe most former players are cut out for a job as a manager. They don’t have any of the right experience.

Agree fully on Steve, as well as your take on former players as GM.

However, I’d argue that, in fact, they have the person that ticks those boxes currently employed, as you describe;
Skill and experience at negotiations? Former attorney AND GM. Check.
Ability to delegate? Don’t you know Keith made the 1 for 1s? Check.
No fear in hiring someone smarter and openness to new ideas? Keith sure makes a fine 1 for 1, hey?. Check.
Decisive when necessary? Needed a G to push Talbot, enter Koski. Check.
Not impulsive? The audit is on its 4th season. Check.

All in all, Chia checks those boxes. No changes to off-ice personnel required! Let’s move Lucic to RNH’s wing and change the bottom 6 F and bottom D pair, that’s what we need... I digress.

It’s a mess, and no I’m not referring to Mark. But even though there needs to be a nearly full roster and organizational overhaul, you’d believe there would be people lining up to Grant Mac to sit in Chia’s chair at Rogers and the chance to be the GM for a team employing the greatest player in the game, no matter the headaches that will ensue to get this ship righted.

Chiarelli has to be on the hot seat. But the problem is, what good will his release do when the cancer is still routed much deeper in the hockey ops and management side? Problem being, Katz will never admit to his hockey card collection being the cause.

In closing, it won’t matter if it’s Peter Chiarelli, Lou Lamoriello, Ken Holland or Adam. When the GM looks around the table at meetings and sees the former management team that led this franchise into the DoD STILL EMPLOYED, you know you have no hope in fixing it.

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724190 is a reply to message #724140 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

I chose to answer this as when SHOULD they fire Chia - the answer is as soon as freakin’ possible. Realistically, I think the Oilers are afraid to do that. If things don’t immediately turn around, there might be calls for more blood at season’s end, and so the best way to insulate the superfriends in management is to keep Chia and fire him at the end of the year if the team fails to make the playoff or flames out early.

The danger point with this team is that if they won a single playoff round, the team might feel that was reason to think all was fine and maintain the status quo...with obvious disastrous results following.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724147 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Wouldn’t it be prudent to do an internal audit first?

Limecat Logic

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724148 is a reply to message #724147 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 20:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 21:26

Correct, sir. Those are done during a Wine Summit, yeah? So. Summer?

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724149 is a reply to message #724148 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 20:27

Maybe Summer of 2020.

5-14-6-1

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724152 is a reply to message #724149 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Ragnarok73 wrote on Wed, 05 December 2018 21:28

Maybe Summer of 2020.

Ha. How incredible would it be for Chia to become the Seattle GM, hire TMac as his HC and they do what VGK did year 1... faint rofl

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724180 is a reply to message #724148 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I think the self-evaluation sheets have been handed out. But yeah, they get until July 1st to fill them out.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724185 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

None of the above, he only gets canned if the Oil miss the playoffs. And Katz will never clear out Uncles Kevin, Craig and Wayne.

Firing Chia would be like changing the toilet seat in an outhouse- bright new look but same old stink.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724189 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Wed, 05 December 2018 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

Short of hand delivering the Cup to Katz, he's gone this summer. But he's the only casualty. Keith Gretzky is his replacement. 20% chance Chiarelli gets a promotion.

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724206 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Why wait? The damage is done.

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724207 is a reply to message #724206 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

philly boy wrote on Thu, 06 December 2018 09:13

Why wait? The damage is done.

Then I guess there is no harm in waiting. icon_wink

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724220 is a reply to message #724207 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

well played

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724221 is a reply to message #724120 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
airdrieoil  is currently offline airdrieoil

No Cups

I voted he won't be canned. Not because it was TMac's fault but because Oilers.

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724222 is a reply to message #724221 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

airdrieoil wrote on Thu, 06 December 2018 12:48

I voted he won't be canned. Not because it was TMac's fault but because Oilers.

The part about it being TMac's fault is the excuse they'd use to keep Chia around. After all, it's not like Chia built a crap team around the best player on the planet, it's that TMac mismanaged them on the ice while he was the HC.

Unfortunately, it looks like Hitch could very well have saved Chia's job if he can keep getting the team to play like they have. I wonder how much better this team could be if they actually had consistent scoring outside of #97 and a legit 1-2 Dman....

5-14-6-1

Re: Chia Firing Poll [message #724223 is a reply to message #724222 ]
Thu, 06 December 2018 13:17 Go to previous message
Babaganoosh2.0  is currently offline Babaganoosh2.0

No Cups

Makes no sense to fire him now. This season is bought and paid for. He definitely needs to go in the summer though. Just hope he doesn't make any drastic trades before now and then cause he sucks hard at that.

Previous Topic:Oilers claim Zykov
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #28)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca