Home / Road Goals Against: 2/4 Total: 6

2017-18 Regular Season
Sunday, November 26, 2017Edmonton 4 @ Boston 2Win
Tuesday, February 20, 2018Boston 3 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-1-0       Road Record: 1-0-0       Overall Record: 1-1-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/4 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/2 Total: 5

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719860 is a reply to message #719857 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rishaug reported yesterday the Oilers asked to stay out east, rather than come home to Edmonton straight from Sweden. I have no idea if this is true, but it certainly is 'on brand' for the Edmonton Professional Hockey Club to try and outsmart the schedule.

Anyway, the Oilers are all alone in last place in the West and 4 points out of the playoffs. Fits like a glove. MUST WIN!

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 09:10]

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719861 is a reply to message #719860 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 09:08

Rishaug reported yesterday the Oilers asked to stay out east, rather than come home to Edmonton straight from Sweden. I have no idea if this is true, but it certainly is 'on brand' for the Edmonton Professional Hockey Club to try and outsmart the schedule.

Anyway, the Oilers are all alone in last place in the West and 4 points out of the playoffs. Fits like a glove. MUST WIN!

Nice though for Peter to spend a few days in Boston visiting old friends.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719862 is a reply to message #719861 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 09:27

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 09:08

Nice though for Peter to spend a few days in Boston visiting old friends.

I'd believe that, but it's not like he spends an incredible amount of time with the team, working on making the team better, thinking about the team... although leaf season in the northeast is nice.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719865 is a reply to message #719862 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I don't know if it's an advantage or not to stay out east. But maybe. First you are going from an at least 8 hour time difference back to North America. So if you went home for a few days, you would just be getting used to being on your home time, then have to fly out east and adjust to a time difference again. I don't know.

To the game. I see that linegate is over. Strome is back with JP on the "3rd line". The only change is Caaggulia is in and they are sitting Brodziak who hasn't looked good in preseason and was terrible in the first game. So to make that happen, they need another center so you have to put Khaira there. So the apparently "demotion" of JP to the 4th line didn't happen and it looks like it was a message sending to Strome who also hasn't been good in the preseason and was also lousy in game 1. And the message was for 1 practice which is what 45 mins?

What I find kind of sad/laughable/confusing about Oilers nation especially the media is. Yesterday I heard and read guys like Nielson absolutely losing it. Then today, Nielson spends most of his show losing it on the Oilers, ranting about how changing the lines is stupid even in 1 practice, how pointless it is to do it now and how they shouldn't be putting so much pressure on the players so early. But at the same time, this is one of the same guys who from almost June has been ranting and writing about how critical it is for the Oilers to get off to a good start and how McLellan should be fired if they don't. The Oilers in game 1 were brutal. Other than Lucic none of them played well. That includes McDavid who I thought was just Meh. Yes he got 2 points but he's McDavid, points will just happen for him. But the Oilers in game 1 looked like the same team as they were last year doing the same dumbass things and guys not playing well. So if it is absolutely critical for the Oilers to get off to a good start, which I believe is 100% true. And if the Oilers in game 1 play about as bad as they could have which they did. Why is it a bad idea to crack the whip early? They literally CAN'T afford to play like that early on so why should the coaching staff of anyone put up with it?

I for one am not trying to stick up for McLellan. I have before but it is put up for shut up time for him and his team. If they struggle early, I would not wait long to fire him. So if that is the case and seems to be the overwhelming feeling by both fans and media, why would it be acceptable to accept a garbage effort like that and not let everyone know real quick, playing like that is not acceptable anymore. It is seriously crazy how much things are so up and down like a yo yo in this market amongst the fans and media.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 10:43]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719867 is a reply to message #719865 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 10:42

It is seriously crazy how much things are so up and down like a yo yo in this market amongst the fans and media.

That yo-yo was dropped 18 years ago.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719868 is a reply to message #719865 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

changing the lines is stupid even in 1 practice, how pointless it is to do it now

I left this part of the quote in as the rest of the post I dont have much to say on as I dont listen or read the Edmonton media outside of what I see on this site.

To the quoted section I agree it is pointless. This wouldn't have worked on most 15 year old hockey players let alone pros.
A practice demotion does nothing outside of annoy players as it comes across as some stupid, ego trip, show of power. I cant see anyone being motivated to play better by it.

After a preseason and a terrible game 1 they should be working on chemistry, systems, adjustments, special teams not shifting guys around for an hour to prove some point.

I really dont get what TM hoped to prove.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719869 is a reply to message #719868 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

He was trying to prove that he's the boss and that decision he made the first time he met you before he even saw you play still stands. You don't fit his lack of a real system beyond dump the puck in and hope you get it back, so you don't fit this team and will be punished accordingly.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719870 is a reply to message #719869 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 11:12

He was trying to prove that he's the boss and that decision he made the first time he met you before he even saw you play still stands. You don't fit his lack of a real system beyond dump the puck in and hope you get it back, so you don't fit this team and will be punished accordingly.

And you'd better work on your English too!

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719871 is a reply to message #719868 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 11:05

changing the lines is stupid even in 1 practice, how pointless it is to do it now

I left this part of the quote in as the rest of the post I dont have much to say on as I dont listen or read the Edmonton media outside of what I see on this site.

To the quoted section I agree it is pointless. This wouldn't have worked on most 15 year old hockey players let alone pros.
A practice demotion does nothing outside of annoy players as it comes across as some stupid, ego trip, show of power. I cant see anyone being motivated to play better by it.

After a preseason and a terrible game 1 they should be working on chemistry, systems, adjustments, special teams not shifting guys around for an hour to prove some point.

I really dont get what TM hoped to prove.

I don't honestly know if it is a good or bad thing to do it. I guess we will see with how they play. But at the same time, fans and media can't on one side of their mouth be calling for the Oilers to play well, go on and on about getting off to a good start, not repeating the sins of last year and the coach doing something. Then on the other side of their mouth complain when the coach decides not to stand for doing the same crap as last year and cracks the whip. I am seriously not trying to stand up for McLellan. He's made mistakes, he needs to be way better and if he isn't, punt his ass real quick because my patience is over. But last game, I don't think the coaching staff said to the players. "Guys, please come out flat. Talbot, please go brain dead and pass the puck to the other team for an open goal. Guys please don't make a 10 ft pass." Like don't for a second think McLellan is the definition of the perfect coach. I don't for a second know for sure if his systems and whatever changes they supposed did are good or not. Nor do I know if the lines he made are the right ones based on game 1 because basically the whole team was lousy. The Devils first goal, Leon missed his guy, flat out, he missed his assignment. That's on him. He's not a brand new rookie, he freaking knows that. People can hate on McLellan and I get it but until these guys actually stop doing the stupid crap they do, how do you assess the coaches? If the Oilers are doing what they are supposed to do and are getting crushed then 100% it's the coaches fault. But they are making dumb decisions. Nurse and Benning we freaking terrible and it had nothing to do with systems, they were doing dumbass things that the KNOW is wrong.

I seriously don't know what the right answer is but I don't know if patting all the guys on the back and going "aww shucks guys, we will get them next time" is the right thing either. Oilers nation me included is watching these guys like a hawk and we are fed up. I am tired of these guys not taking it serious in my opinion and playing like a bunch of baffoons. Everyone likes to pile on Lucic for the contract and I get it, he deserves to take the heat but where is the heat for Nuge? He makes the same money as Lucic, he was a #1 overall pick, he has a career high 24 goals and 56 pts. Which the last time he did it was 3 seasons ago. Where the hell was Nuge last game? He was invisible.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 11:43]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719872 is a reply to message #719871 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 10:37

I don't honestly know if it is a good or bad thing to do it. I guess we will see with how they play. But at the same time, fans and media can't on one side of their mouth be calling for the Oilers to play well, go on and on about getting off to a good start, not repeating the sins of last year and the coach doing something. Then on the other side of their mouth complain when the coach decides not to stand for doing the same crap as last year and cracks the whip. I am seriously not trying to stand up for McLellan. He's made mistakes, he needs to be way better and if he isn't, punt his ass real quick because my patience is over. But last game, I don't think the coaching staff said to the players. "Guys, please come out flat. Talbot, please go brain dead and pass the puck to the other team for an open goal. Guys please don't make a 10 ft pass." Like don't for a second think McLellan is the definition of the perfect coach. I don't for a second know for sure if his systems and whatever changes they supposed did are good or not. Nor do I know if the lines he made are the right ones based on game 1 because basically the whole team was lousy. The Devils first goal, Leon missed his guy, flat out, he missed his assignment. That's on him. He's not a brand new rookie, he freaking knows that. People can hate on McLellan and I get it but until these guys actually stop doing the stupid crap they do, how do you assess the coaches? If the Oilers are doing what they are supposed to do and are getting crushed then 100% it's the coaches fault. But they are making dumb decisions. Nurse and Benning we freaking terrible and it had nothing to do with systems, they were doing dumbass things that the KNOW is wrong.

I seriously don't know what the right answer is but I don't know if patting all the guys on the back and going "aww shucks guys, we will get them next time" is the right thing either. Oilers nation me included is watching these guys like a hawk and we are fed up. I am tired of these guys not taking it serious in my opinion and playing like a bunch of baffoons. Everyone likes to pile on Lucic for the contract and I get it, he deserves to take the heat but where is the heat for Nuge? He makes the same money as Lucic, he was a #1 overall pick, he has a career high 24 goals and 56 pts. Which the last time he did it was 3 seasons ago. Where the hell was Nuge last game? He was invisible.

I guess my question is, at what point does the whole team doing dumb things and missing assignments start to reflect on the coaches? If it was one or two guys, then maybe you could argue that they're just bad apples. But like you said, the entire team wasn't good. They've turned over basically the entire roster since Chia and McLellan came to Edmonton, you can't even use the excuse that they inherited any bad attitudes. McLellan has had a pretty clean slate to work with. So if the whole team is coming out flat, and not understanding what they should be doing, then yes, that has to be on the coaches. If the message isn't getting through, figure out a way to make it get through (punishing guys in practice or calling them out in the media isn't working). McLellan has been paid $9 million over the past 3 years. Can you point to one thing he's done to move this team forward? Special teams are awful, outside of Nurse (and McDavid obviously), have any players gotten better under McLellan?

I tend to think the Oilers issues are more to do with the overall skill level of the team, than any sort of laziness. This was the same sort of thing we heard about guys like Hall and Eberle, and swapping them out for the current roster hasn't changed anything. I would actually argue pretty strongly that this team (minus McDavid) is worse.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719873 is a reply to message #719872 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 12:15

I guess my question is, at what point does the whole team doing dumb things and missing assignments start to reflect on the coaches? If it was one or two guys, then maybe you could argue that they're just bad apples. But like you said, the entire team wasn't good. They've turned over basically the entire roster since Chia and McLellan came to Edmonton, you can't even use the excuse that they inherited any bad attitudes. McLellan has had a pretty clean slate to work with. So if the whole team is coming out flat, and not understanding what they should be doing, then yes, that has to be on the coaches. If the message isn't getting through, figure out a way to make it get through (punishing guys in practice or calling them out in the media isn't working). McLellan has been paid $9 million over the past 3 years. Can you point to one thing he's done to move this team forward? Special teams are awful, outside of Nurse (and McDavid obviously), have any players gotten better under McLellan?

I tend to think the Oilers issues are more to do with the overall skill level of the team, than any sort of laziness. This was the same sort of thing we heard about guys like Hall and Eberle, and swapping them out for the current roster hasn't changed anything. I would actually argue pretty strongly that this team (minus McDavid) is worse.

And McLellan has tried the hard-ass tactics early in the season before. He sat Benning early last year, he's cancelled days off, he's had tantrums, benched Pouliot early a couple years ago, was very critical of Schultz - it hasn't ever worked, so I don't know why he would think it would this time.

Saying players are "on notice" is just another way of blaming the players for the SINGLE loss on the books this far, and using up bullets better used sparingly.

He's just a bad coach and has no sense for this stuff. He knows that Babcock is sometimes hard on guys, so he's trying to emulate that...but with no sense of timing. The sooner he's fired, the better.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719878 is a reply to message #719873 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 12:23

And McLellan has tried the hard-ass tactics early in the season before. He sat Benning early last year, he's cancelled days off, he's had tantrums, benched Pouliot early a couple years ago, was very critical of Schultz - it hasn't ever worked, so I don't know why he would think it would this time.

Saying players are "on notice" is just another way of blaming the players for the SINGLE loss on the books this far, and using up bullets better used sparingly.

He's just a bad coach and has no sense for this stuff. He knows that Babcock is sometimes hard on guys, so he's trying to emulate that...but with no sense of timing. The sooner he's fired, the better.

I am not going to even bother to say much to this post. He's got 425 wins. Maybe he isn't the right coach for this group, that I can buy but you don't win that many games by being a bad coach. I am sorry, but your comment is stupid.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719879 is a reply to message #719878 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 13:18

I am not going to even bother to say much to this post. He's got 425 wins. Maybe he isn't the right coach for this group, that I can buy but you don't win that many games by being a bad coach. I am sorry, but your comment is stupid.

.597 win % in the regular season, .493 in the playoffs...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719885 is a reply to message #719878 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

You've complained about personal attacks before, so saying someone's comment is stupid is maybe not a great start.

McLellan has been blessed with very good teams since he was first hired as a head coach. Those teams have consistently underperformed to expectations.

I had big hopes when he was hired too, but I think we should all by now understand why the Sharks under McLellan never got over the hump. He is pretty persistent with some mistakes:

- He overplays his starting netminders
- He is completely averse to risk for any but his top lines
- He relies on superstar players to outplay the other team's top line, and everyone else to just break even
- He fails to make adjustments easily, both in games and in series
- He believes he shouldn't criticize the referees, no matter what - which allows other coaches to use gamesmanship to outmaneuver him
- He tries to be hard on his players, criticizing them publicly, identifying their errors to the media, healthy scratching veterans, stripping letters off captains and assistant captains

We have seen him fumble badly in Edmonton for pretty much his entire time here. Even the playoff year, they weren't successful because of the coach, but because the goaltending was Vezina-calibre and we had Connor McDavid and incredible health.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719893 is a reply to message #719885 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 14:37

You've complained about personal attacks before, so saying someone's comment is stupid is maybe not a great start.

McLellan has been blessed with very good teams since he was first hired as a head coach. Those teams have consistently underperformed to expectations.

I had big hopes when he was hired too, but I think we should all by now understand why the Sharks under McLellan never got over the hump. He is pretty persistent with some mistakes:

- He relies on superstar players to outplay the other team's top line, and everyone else to just break even
- He believes he shouldn't criticize the referees, no matter what - which allows other coaches to use gamesmanship to outmaneuver him
- He tries to be hard on his players, criticizing them publicly, identifying their errors to the media, healthy scratching veterans, stripping letters off captains and assistant captains

We have seen him fumble badly in Edmonton for pretty much his entire time here. Even the playoff year, they weren't successful because of the coach, but because the goaltending was Vezina-calibre and we had Connor McDavid and incredible health.

As I said, McLellan may not be the right coach for the Oilers. I totally get that. Lots of coaches do well on one team, move to another and do poorly, then do well on another team. But you don't win 425 games in the NHL by fluke or sucking at your job. I am sorry Adam, you just don't. You don't have to agree with what he does, you don't even have to like him as the Oilers coach. You have that right. But saying he's a bad coach is ridiculous. If he got fired tomorrow, he'd have a head coaching job if he wanted one no later than next season and you know it.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 15:13]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719895 is a reply to message #719893 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 15:11

As I said, McLellan may not be the right coach for the Oilers. I totally get that. Lots of coaches do well on one team, move to another and do poorly, then do well on another team. But you don't win 425 games in the NHL by fluke or sucking at your job. I am sorry Adam, you just don't. You don't have to agree with what he does, you don't even have to like him as the Oilers coach. You have that right. But saying he's a bad coach is ridiculous. If he got fired tomorrow, he'd have a head coaching job if he wanted one no later than next season and you know it.

He had a stacked lineup for almost his entire coaching career. Some guys drop into lucky situations and create a reputation from it and falter later when the luck is gone. We have mutiple people like that in this org. Chia and Lowe to name a couple who have built all their fame off a lucky situation. I'd argue Lowe's was luckier than Chia's. Chia actually did do a bit of building for that cup win. Lowe got 2 months of crazy goaltending, basically what Vegas did last year, what FLorida did back in the day. Lots of teams have had miracle runs from lucky matchups and goaltending.

In any case, the game keeps evolving and situations change. Managers/owners need to recognize when people were just lucky before and are revealing what they actually are now, or if the guy was the right fit for a different age in the game, and he is not able to evolve to keep up with the changes of today. That is something that just doesn't happen in the OIlers org unfortunately. Lowe is the poster boy for thinking success years or decades ago is a guarantee of future success. Or big hires 3 years ago that costed us 2 draft picks were based on that premise.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 15:33]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719898 is a reply to message #719893 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 15:11

That’s more of an indictment on the league than anything. The league is stupid, overcoached and overly conservative. It’s an old boys league for the most part.

He had absolutely stacked rosters in SJ. Regular season winning % isn’t great either, and the post-season record is disgraceful quite frankly, for what they had. I don’t know what to tell you man. T Mac is not a good coach, in fact, I’ll go a step further and say he sucks. Your hypothetical suggestion that he would get another job somewhere within a certain amount of time doesn’t validate him in any way.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 16:09]

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719886 is a reply to message #719878 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Leaving the personal insults aside I think most of us are saying that TM;
- seems over concerned with wielding power
- is stuck in his ways and if it doesnt work blames others
- is unable or unwilling to put players in the best chance to succeed

There are no players I can think of off the top of my head that have been better with him as coach, in fact. most players in his history are better.

His 425 are great and all but he had a much better top 6 in SJ than he has right now. Deploying those players wasnt hard.
Also, the Sharks have not exactly been worse off without him, how much credit can he be given for his time in SJ?

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719894 is a reply to message #719886 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 14:38

There are no players I can think of off the top of my head that have been better with him as coach, in fact. most players in his history are better.

His 425 are great and all but he had a much better top 6 in SJ than he has right now. Deploying those players wasnt hard.
Also, the Sharks have not exactly been worse off without him, how much credit can he be given for his time in SJ?

I don't disagree one bit with this. As I have said multiple times, he may not be the right guy for the Oilers. But to give a blanket statement that he isn't good at his job just isn't true. You don't win that many games by sucking at your job. You don't.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719896 is a reply to message #719894 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 15:15

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 14:38

I don't disagree one bit with this. As I have said multiple times, he may not be the right guy for the Oilers. But to give a blanket statement that he isn't good at his job just isn't true. You don't win that many games by sucking at your job. You don't.

Is it possible that he was better at his job in years past and hasn't evolved as the game and players have?
Is it possible he had a better roster in SJ than now?
Is it possible that roster fit his game plan and he hasn't adjusted for the current personnel?

Good or great coaches have multiple successes with multiple A. Teams or B. roster turnover on the same team.

I dont know enough about the game to game strategy and systems in SJ but that was a heck of a roster, perhaps the best in the league for some years, yet they were perennial under achievers.

When those of us on this side of the fence are saying he is bad coach it isn't saying he never was a decent coach and knows nothing about the game. I bolded part of your statement. You speak in the present tense.
I believe, as does a vast majority of the hockey watching, writing and reporting world, that in the current tense, that TM is not currently a good hockey coach.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719892 is a reply to message #719873 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I didn't know he actually said players are "on notice".

Man, this guy is unbelievable. Trying to break his record from last year for how quickly he can lose the room.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719930 is a reply to message #719892 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 15:07

Man, this guy is unbelievable. Trying to break his record from last year for how quickly he can lose the room.

Yep - said players were on notice. Strudwick and even Rishaug suggesting it's foolish to pull those cards out of the deck so early in the year...said what do you do if they have a rough night in Boston then?

McLellan also said that the fact the Oilers scored a PP goal last game, showed that the PP was working with the 5 lefties...despite the fact the goal came on the rush...

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719935 is a reply to message #719930 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 17:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 17:42

Yep - said players were on notice. Strudwick and even Rishaug suggesting it's foolish to pull those cards out of the deck so early in the year...said what do you do if they have a rough night in Boston then.

I believe Matt Kassian was saying the same on 1260.

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719937 is a reply to message #719930 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 17:42

Yep - said players were on notice. Strudwick and even Rishaug suggesting it's foolish to pull those cards out of the deck so early in the year...said what do you do if they have a rough night in Boston then?

McLellan also said that the fact the Oilers scored a PP goal last game, showed that the PP was working with the 5 lefties...despite the fact the goal came on the rush...

Man, after tonight they are gonna be on level 2 notice. Maybe even level 3.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719874 is a reply to message #719872 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I disagree that there is a lack of skill on the team. You may not like them but most of the players are legit NHL players maybe some are being asked to play a little higher on the depth chart than they would on other teams but they're still NHL players.

I believe most of the issue lies in the system the players are being told to play. They have shown time and again that puck control is a key to winning in hockey, and what have the Oilers been doing since McLellan took over? Dump and chase. That used to work when you had a fast team or a heavy team but the Oilers are neither and the defense mobility on most teams has increased dramatically meaning they've gotten to the puck before you could even set on the boards to stop the other team from breaking out of their zone. I think the game has passed McLellan by he's stuck 8 years ago when d-men and the game itself were much slower and he isn't smart enough to adapt.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719875 is a reply to message #719874 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gator21  is currently offline Gator21

No Cups

What channel is the game on Shaw?

Death by a Thousand Cuts

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719880 is a reply to message #719875 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

1 Cup

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 12:03

In BC, you need Centre Ice. If you have that, not so sure on the channel number as I have Telus.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719881 is a reply to message #719880 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

MJ wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 12:37

Gator21 wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 12:03

In BC, you need Centre Ice. If you have that, not so sure on the channel number as I have Telus.

Or Rogers Game Center and watch on computer or app devices.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719876 is a reply to message #719872 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I will allow that McClellan has made the team better defensively than Eakins' team was. But that's a pretty low bar.

Personally i think Chiarelli is the one that needs to go first. We can't let him make a panicky trade to save his job. And a new GM is a virtual guarantee of a new coach in short order.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719877 is a reply to message #719872 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I am not saying the coaches have been great. They haven't been and like I said, the leash for McLellen should be real short. But at the same time if you tell the player to be in a certain position and you tell them over and over again and he doesn't do it. Who's fault is that? Is it seriously the coaches? I am a big Leon fan but the first goal as all him. He's got 270 NHL games, he knows what the hell to do. That's a mental mistake on him. I refuse to believe the coaches told Leon "don't bother picking your guy up, just let him skate by. " I am sorry, I don't. Do I think Mclellen is the best coach in the league? No I don't. But he has 425 NHL wins. I refuse to believe it was all fluke. He had to know something. So when the coach says "Leon, when you are in this situation, you do this." I expect the player to do that. Not half of it or 3/4's that is the case right now, ALL OF IT. Don't cheat for offense, do your damn job. Everyone gives Nuge a free pass. I am from Red Deer, I got to watch Nuge as a junior. I really like Nuge and cheer big time for him. He's got 458 games under his belt, he should be doing the right thing defensively EVERY TIME. But he doesn't still. Nuge played 1 mins last game. He registered 1 shot on goal, had 1 give away, 1 take away. That's it. He played 21 mins and what exactly did he do? Is that seriously all coaching? I don't buy. If you play that much, freaking do something.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719882 is a reply to message #719877 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

It is the coaches job to get the players up for a game or at least start the process and it is the coaches job to change tactics during the game when things aren't working. He fails miserably at both of those aspects and I question whether the practices are up tempo enough because the entire team seems to think at half speed during the games and that rate of thinking comes from the practices.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719883 is a reply to message #719882 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

oilerfan79 wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 12:43

It is the coaches job to get the players up for a game or at least start the process and it is the coaches job to change tactics during the game when things aren't working. He fails miserably at both of those aspects and I question whether the practices are up tempo enough because the entire team seems to think at half speed during the games and that rate of thinking comes from the practices.

We need a coach that is hungry and expects more from his players. McL seems stuck in a rut of “well I tell them what to do but they don’t so meh.”

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719884 is a reply to message #719883 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 14:19

We need a coach that is hungry and expects more from his players. McL seems stuck in a rut of “well I tell them what to do but they don’t so meh.”

We need a coach that can game plan, adapt, and put players in a position to succeed. Whether or not anyone thinks Chiarelli gave the coach good players is immaterial to the question of, "has the coach done well with what he's got". I simply cannot answer that question positively for Mr. McLellan.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719887 is a reply to message #719884 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 14:23

We need a coach that can game plan, adapt, and put players in a position to succeed. Whether or not anyone thinks Chiarelli gave the coach good players is immaterial to the question of, "has the coach done well with what he's got". I simply cannot answer that question positively for Mr. McLellan.

That summarizes it a lot for me. The either/or of who is to blame between TM and PC is fairly irrelevant to this discussion. PC dug this hole but TM has to coach what he has and he is not doing it well. This isnt an over reaction to one bad game, it is a summary of his body of work.

TM does not seem able to get the best out of what he has. That is a big part of judgement of a coach.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719891 is a reply to message #719887 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 11 October 2018 14:42

That summarizes it a lot for me. The either/or of who is to blame between TM and PC is fairly irrelevant to this discussion. PC dug this hole but TM has to coach what he has and he is not doing it well. This isnt an over reaction to one bad game, it is a summary of his body of work.

TM does not seem able to get the best out of what he has. That is a big part of judgement of a coach.

Exactly.

The GM is a failure because he's taken a team and failed to make it any better and in fact, the team has been degraded by some of his foolish moves.

The Coach is a failure because he isn't getting the most out of the players he has.

Interesting comment on Oilers Lunch today - Stauffer had someone remind him of the discussions of two or three years ago as to who had the best young team - Edmonton, Winnipeg & Toronto - and who was most likely to win the Cup of those groups. Consensus was Edmonton at the time. Stauffer actually mentioned the Hall deal as a trade that made the team worse. He caveated, saying that we got a good second pairing defenceman, but it was uncharacteristically critical.

With the coach, I'd also echo Kr55's comments about McLellan's communication skills. We've seen several guys now say that they didn't get much from him at all. At a time when many teams are working extra hard to engage with their players, we have this guy who would prefer to talk to his guys through the media scrums after games.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719890 is a reply to message #719884 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Totally fair comment. McLellan may not be the right guy for this particular team. We shall see. I just hope they don't wait long to move on him if that becomes apparent this season.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719899 is a reply to message #719884 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Yep.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719866 is a reply to message #719857 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Quote:

The lines and defence pairings at morning skate were:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Caggiula-Strome-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Khaira-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard

Bouchard back in. Only change is Brodziak out, Cagguila in. That's a demotion for Reider, not sure I agree, I'd swap him for Caggulia on the 3rd.. although as we discussed yesterday, that 3rd might turn out to be the 4th.

I'd swap Pulju for Yamo. What to do with Benning is a problem, shouldn't be playing 2nd pair.. anywhere. But as McClellan discusses below, that might change during the game.

Regarding D pairs..

Quote:

McLellan was very quick to point out that the defence pairings in particular could switch up during the game. Through the week, Nurse skated with both Benning and Russell, for instance.

"We'll dress six D-men tonight. (Assistant Coach Trent Yawney) will roll them out. You'll write in your paper that this guy is paired with that guy, that's the visual start. It'll depend on how they play, who they're matched up against. You'll see some juggling of defensive pairs as we move forward. We're still trying to discover who's going to play the best with whom and we're also going lefties and righties to start with so it's limited in how much you can swing guys around."

With those pairings, it means that Evan Bouchard will get a chance to play his second career NHL game. McLellan confirmed that to the media.

"We have nine games that we're working with to begin with. After game one, he showed that he belongs here. Got better as the night went on. There will be a game or two where he'll come out and he'll watch just so we can get some other bodies in but tonight's a night where he deserved an opportunity to continue on and play.

"He's getting that chance. His first true NHL game in a true NHL building will come here in Boston and it's a pretty good spot for him to start. It'll be exciting for him."

[Updated on: Thu, 11 October 2018 10:57]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2) [message #719889 is a reply to message #719857 ]
Thu, 11 October 2018 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Oh man...if we lose this one...

https://i.imgur.com/0u72fxu.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #2)
Next Topic:JP on 4th Line
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca