This day on December 12
Departed: Dave Semenko (1986) Josh Green (2002)

Happy Birthday To: carterfan, oilfan#1, Tupper, pronger's#1fan, bleeding copper and blue

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » If Chia fails, then who?Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 If Chia fails, then who? [message #714528]
Fri, 11 May 2018 09:01 Go to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

If Chia makes all his moves this summer and throughout the first part of the season ans fails, who would you think takes over GM? Outside people, inside personnel, old boys come back, maybe find someone in juniors, minors or college?

Personally, I think if Chia fails, Gretzky takes over..... Keith Gretzky.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714529 is a reply to message #714528 ]
Fri, 11 May 2018 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

bigred75 wrote on Fri, 11 May 2018 09:01

If Chia makes all his moves this summer and throughout the first part of the season ans fails, who would you think takes over GM? Outside people, inside personnel, old boys come back, maybe find someone in juniors, minors or college?

Personally, I think if Chia fails, Gretzky takes over..... Keith Gretzky.

I think you are probably right about what will happen.

The troubling thing is I don't really think it matters. With Katz/Lowe/Nichs/MacT/Howson/Gretz all still hanging around on Kingsway, a new GM isn't really going to make much difference. Just another guy to blame when the team inevitably falls on its face.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714541 is a reply to message #714528 ]
Fri, 11 May 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Keith Gretzky has a decent resume. If the Oilers are struggling after October, both Chia and TMac will be gone, with Keith taking over as GM and the associate coach (Yawney?) taking over as coach.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714588 is a reply to message #714541 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Not sure where to put this, but:

I find it interesting and a testament to the awesomeness of the contributors to this website, that the idea that the team was full of time wasting meddlers, has been contemplated and pointed out for years here. It's even better that the Banff CJs were a thing on this website only two or three months prior to reports of the Red Wine Summits (I love that the word "summit" is in there, I hope to myself in private that is a nod to "Banff"), which is exactly the same thing but expressed in a more media appropriate way.

Good job everyone.

This site is literally my favorite part of being a fan, even though I'm a sarcastic so and so, I surely and truly enjoy this website. It used to be the games. Now, the joy I derive from being a fan of the Oilers can be broken down as follows (top 3):

1. Oilfans
2. Connor
3. Watching the careers of ex-Oilers

[Updated on: Mon, 14 May 2018 07:03]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714614 is a reply to message #714588 ]
Mon, 14 May 2018 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Agreed. Oilfans has made fandom bearable; I would have probably bailed on this team years ago had it not been for the astute observations, knowledge and dark humour of this community.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714623 is a reply to message #714588 ]
Tue, 15 May 2018 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Mon, 14 May 2018 06:48

I find it interesting and a testament to the awesomeness of the contributors to this website, that the idea that the team was full of time wasting meddlers, has been contemplated and pointed out for years here. It's even better that the Banff CJs were a thing on this website only two or three months prior to reports of the Red Wine Summits (I love that the word "summit" is in there, I hope to myself in private that is a nod to "Banff"), which is exactly the same thing but expressed in a more media appropriate way.

Good job everyone.

This site is literally my favorite part of being a fan, even though I'm a sarcastic so and so, I surely and truly enjoy this website. It used to be the games. Now, the joy I derive from being a fan of the Oilers can be broken down as follows (top 3):

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

I was a long time reader before (my attempts at) contributing. Born in '88... missed the majority of the glory days, though I do not have any memories of them there are pictures of me and my brother watching Messier hoist the cup. The years to follow... the battles with Dallas... the run in '06... the DoD... I was camping with then girlfriend when the Taylor Hall draft was on. Then again with the Nuge draft. I didn't turn on the radio... I didn't follow along on NHL.com, I got my fill here... from all of you! I'm with you Magnum. This place is literally my favourite part of being an Oiler fan. AND... I'm so close to my first cup haha. Here's to many more memories with all of you!

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714676 is a reply to message #714623 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Tue, 15 May 2018 08:36

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

I was a long time reader before (my attempts at) contributing. Born in '88... missed the majority of the glory days, though I do not have any memories of them there are pictures of me and my brother watching Messier hoist the cup. The years to follow... the battles with Dallas... the run in '06... the DoD... I was camping with then girlfriend when the Taylor Hall draft was on. Then again with the Nuge draft. I didn't turn on the radio... I didn't follow along on NHL.com, I got my fill here... from all of you! I'm with you Magnum. This place is literally my favourite part of being an Oiler fan. AND... I'm so close to my first cup haha. Here's to many more memories with all of you!

Well, these feelings of joy are apparently not universal, sadly:

PoolParty's Signature

This forum has turned into a pessimistic cesspool

#Adam #RDOilerfan #Kr55 #CrusaderPi

I have to say, I think this is pretty unfair to RDOF. He's consistently positive about the team!

Those other guys are all grouchy old curmudgeons though.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714678 is a reply to message #714676 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:48

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

I have to say, I think this is pretty unfair to RDOF. He's consistently positive about the team!

How am I pessimistic? I totally went to bat for the Woodcroft promotion.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714680 is a reply to message #714678 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:53

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

You must just read really sarcastic...

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714681 is a reply to message #714680 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:54

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

Fair enough. I really am no longer able to distinguish between being serious and sarcastic when I talk about the Oilers now. It's just all mixed together.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714682 is a reply to message #714680 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

People confuse pessimism with realism. It's a cognitive bias. I am not pessimistic about the Oilers. I am realistic in my assessments and predictions. That's why I'm right about everything.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714684 is a reply to message #714682 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:59

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

People confuse pessimism with realism. It's a cognitive bias. I am not pessimistic about the Oilers. I am realistic in my assessments and predictions. That's why I'm right about everything.

Your last sentence is at odds with the one before it.

But I'll concede, you have been pretty good at foreseeing disaster when it comes to the Oilers. My record of being right is pretty damn solid too...to the point where I wish I wasn't so often right about just how bad the management of this team is...

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714685 is a reply to message #714684 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:02

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

But I'll concede, you have been pretty good at foreseeing disaster when it comes to the Oilers. My record of being right is pretty damn solid too...to the point where I wish I wasn't so often right about just how bad the management of this team is...

Honestly, if you just assumed everything this org did was not going to work, you would have been right 99% of the time since 2007 :)

How can a fan of this team not be pessimistic at this point?

Although for many there was a 1 year break last season that had some silence, but victory could be claimed again this year for everyone that just default craps on everything :)

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2018 23:06]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714689 is a reply to message #714685 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:04

Although for many there was a 1 year break last season that had some silence, but victory could be claimed again this year for everyone that just default craps on everything :)

It's almost like people weren't listening when certain posters suggested that last year's results were almost exclusively McDavid, Talbot, and team health and that there actually WERE still issues with management and coaching, and that the Taylor Hall trade really was awful, even if Larsson is a good defenceman.

You have to love that after last year, the management felt that it wasn't their inability to augment the team at all (Desharnais excepted) that held the Oilers back, it was their third leading scorer and that the best route of action would be to trade him for a lesser player and ignore the gaping holes in the battered defence corps going in to 2017-18.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714697 is a reply to message #714689 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:26

It's almost like people weren't listening when certain posters suggested that last year's results were almost exclusively McDavid, Talbot, and team health and that there actually WERE still issues with management and coaching, and that the Taylor Hall trade really was awful, even if Larsson is a good defenceman.

You have to love that after last year, the management felt that it wasn't their inability to augment the team at all (Desharnais excepted) that held the Oilers back, it was their third leading scorer and that the best route of action would be to trade him for a lesser player and ignore the gaping holes in the battered defence corps going in to 2017-18.

Yes yes, but BEFORE Chia totally laid an egg in the summer, things were looking good :) Larsson/Klef looked like a top pair. Drai was going to be our #2C and we could finally start getting close to breaking even with McDavid off the ice, obviously that would mean we try Nuge on the wing, like duhhhh. Talbot was looking like a true #1 and we just needed a decent backup. Only injury we really knew about was Sek. Only Chia and the gang knew Klef was going to be struggling with a shoulder injury all next year unless he got surgery.

Things were looking not too bad for OIlers fans, if you ignored the consiquences that would come from having the OBC/CHia/McLellan and friends still in the important places on the team.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714699 is a reply to message #714697 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 09:21

Yes yes, but BEFORE Chia totally laid an egg in the summer, things were looking good :) Larsson/Klef looked like a top pair. Drai was going to be our #2C and we could finally start getting close to breaking even with McDavid off the ice, obviously that would mean we try Nuge on the wing, like duhhhh. Talbot was looking like a true #1 and we just needed a decent backup. Only injury we really knew about was Sek. Only Chia and the gang knew Klef was going to be struggling with a shoulder injury all next year unless he got surgery.

Things were looking not too bad for OIlers fans, if you ignored the consiquences that would come from having the OBC/CHia/McLellan and friends still in the important places on the team.

Hmmmm...you really DON'T sound that negative. I'd unhashtag you in that signature if it were up to me.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714701 is a reply to message #714699 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 09:39

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 09:21

Hmmmm...you really DON'T sound that negative. I'd unhashtag you in that signature if it were up to me.

I missed some stuff too!

Obviously we didn't have to trade Ebs last summer, unless we ended up finding a good RHD (this was later confirmed, since we finished this year with 8.6M of cap space and only 3-4M of bonuses to pay. This covers the 3.5M extra hit comparing Ebs to Strome), so we had a decent RW to play with Drai on the 2nd line to finally have the depth scoring. We could wait another year to let Pulju and Yams develop without putting too much pressure on them. And can even help temper the temptation to put Drai back with McDavid.

And OF COURSE we would tell Lucic to focus on losing some weight and working on speed all summer. There is no way we would have let him train with a football player all summer blasting heavy weights to maintain a huge upper body, not a chance. We could have expected Lucic to come into 17/18 lighter and faster. Obviously the team and Lucic saw how the league is moving, and his success in the offseason training he did wouldn't just be measured by his body fat %.

And obviously we would not give Russell a huge contract, and definitely not a NMC. It was pretty clear that the rest of the league was adding puck movers, plus we already had Klef (contract), Sek (contract), Nurse (org loves him, McDavid's BFF) long term on the left side.

Seriously, things were looking pretty good still for this season last summer. Cap space to get some depth on wing, RHD. Had players already to have 2 good forward lines. Thought we had a top pair not knowing Klef was broken. Needed a decent backup, obviously we wouldn't stick with LB who McLellan was scared crapless to play all last year (which continued into this season). Pulju obviously would get a chance on the left wall on the PP, we didn't have to keep putting all our eggs into the Letestu basket there, duh.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 May 2018 10:18]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714686 is a reply to message #714684 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

But I'll concede, you've been pretty good at foreseeing disaster when it comes to the Oilers. My record of being right is pretty damn solid too...to the point where I wish I wasn't so often right about just how bad the management of this team is...

How? I'm realistic and I'm right. I might be bad at English.

Everyone wishes team pessimistic (realistic) wasn't always right. But we are. And people don't like us for it. C'est la vie

Honestly, if you just assumed everything this org did was not going to work, you would have been right 99% of the time since 2007 :)

I'd bet that of my 6000 posts only 11 out of every 12 were negative.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714690 is a reply to message #714686 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:11

But I'll concede, you've been pretty good at foreseeing disaster when it comes to the Oilers. My record of being right is pretty damn solid too...to the point where I wish I wasn't so often right about just how bad the management of this team is...

Everyone wishes team pessimistic (realistic) wasn't always right. But we are. And people don't like us for it. C'est la vie

"Right about everything" isn't a very realistic assessment. A realist might say they're mostly right, but they'd have to concede even they've dropped the ball. If you were right all the time, you'd probably draft better in the fantasy pools and stop getting steamrolled by Feepa.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714691 is a reply to message #714690 ]
Wed, 16 May 2018 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:28

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 23:11

"Right about everything" isn't a very realistic assessment. A realist might say they're mostly right, but they'd have to concede even they've dropped the ball. If you were right all the time, you'd probably draft better in the fantasy pools and stop getting steamrolled by Feepa.

Ah. Fair criticism.

For the record I won BOTH Oilfans fantasy hockey pools this year including beating Feepa in one final (finally).

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714706 is a reply to message #714676 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

[quote title=Adam wrote on Wed, 16 May 2018 22:48]

PoolParty's Signature

I'm feeling hurt, since my name has not been included as a negativity hashtag.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714851 is a reply to message #714706 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

[quote title=Magnum wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 10:04]

PoolParty's Signature

I'm feeling hurt, since my name has not been included as a negativity hashtag.

I have to say I was a little put out as well.

This feels like a challenge now. #newgoal

Limecat Logic

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714709 is a reply to message #714676 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

Talk about the understatement of the year. I get destroyed repeated because I choose to see what happens with any move rather than instantly assume its the worst ever. I've even been accused of being a Katz employee paid to come to this site. How can I be grouped in with the rest of those guys?

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714712 is a reply to message #714709 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Wait you don't work for Katz?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714714 is a reply to message #714712 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 10:22

Unfortunately I do not work for Katz. But if Katz wants to give me a nice salary to come on here every day and respond to other peoples negative posts with whatever positive response I can make up and imagine, sign me up.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714726 is a reply to message #714714 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 10:32

Unfortunately I do not work for Katz. But if Katz wants to give me a nice salary to come on here every day and respond to other peoples negative posts with whatever positive response I can make up and imagine, sign me up.

You act like this for free?
At least if you were getting paid it would explain your outlandish opinions.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714727 is a reply to message #714726 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 13:28

If anyone actually does work for the Oilers here I want everyone to know I will sell my opinion and become pro-Oilers. Ruthlessly pro-Oilers. Look at my side bar, I have six damn cups, that's a lot of pull here.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714728 is a reply to message #714727 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 13:42

If anyone actually does work for the Oilers here I want everyone to know I will sell my opinion and become pro-Oilers. Ruthlessly pro-Oilers. Look at my side bar, I have six damn cups, that's a lot of pull here.

Sellout!
Who am I kidding, I have shilled for things I like less than hockey.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714732 is a reply to message #714728 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 13:52

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 13:42

Sellout!
Who am I kidding, I have shilled for things I like less than hockey.

Do you guys have any idea how much I enjoy being the contrarian view in the Trump thread? Could you imagine fun it would be for me to troll the entire board with a suddenly pro-Oiler bias? I'm now considering doing this as an art project.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714737 is a reply to message #714732 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018

Do you guys have any idea how much I enjoy being the contrarian view in the Trump thread? Could you imagine fun it would be for me to troll the entire board with a suddenly pro-Oiler bias? I'm now considering doing this as an art project.

The obvious downside being that being pro-Trump at least presents the possibility of being on the right side of history. Being pro-oilers management guarantees that you will be remembered as being wrong about literally everything.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714756 is a reply to message #714737 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 18:51

The obvious downside being that being pro-Trump at least presents the possibility of being on the right side of history. Being pro-oilers management guarantees that you will be remembered as being wrong about literally everything.

Do you think that if Chia had the Infinity Gauntlet, he'd trade the reality stone for a pet rock, 1 for 1?

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714758 is a reply to message #714756 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 14:23

Do you think that if Chia had the Infinity Gauntlet, he'd trade the reality stone for a pet rock, 1 for 1?

Only if he was also able to sign the rock to 8Y/$13M per with a NMC.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714760 is a reply to message #714756 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Magnum wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 11:23

He's more of a "jump to conclusions mat" kind of guy.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714763 is a reply to message #714760 ]
Fri, 18 May 2018 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 12:11

Fantastic reference. *LIKE*

It's like Chia DOES have the Infinity Gauntlet when he makes trades though...he snaps his fingers and just like that eliminates half the value to the team.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714852 is a reply to message #714763 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 12:15

JPro wrote on Fri, 18 May 2018 12:11

Fantastic reference. *LIKE*

It's like Chia DOES have the Infinity Gauntlet when he makes trades though...he snaps his fingers and just like that eliminates half the value to the team.

Thor, for Spiderman's sidekick!

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714719 is a reply to message #714709 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 10:12

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

Talk about the understatement of the year. I get destroyed repeated because I choose to see what happens...

No you don't.

You do not wait to see what happens. You actively prop-up, promote, and defend most moves management make, under the guise of patience or a "wait and see approach".

You get bashed because you do not critically analyze the moves, but essentially support those moves with blind faith, or at least limited good reasoning or explanation thereof.

People don't get the perception that you work for the Oilers from nowhere. They get that perception, because it seems that although you have insight into hockey, you appear to be blind to obvious errors in judgement by management.

So please keep the victim card in your pocket.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714722 is a reply to message #714719 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 11:13

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

Talk about the understatement of the year. I get destroyed repeated because I choose to see what happens...

No you don't.

You do not wait to see what happens. You actively prop-up, promote, and defend most moves management make, under the guise of patience or a "wait and see approach".

You get bashed because you do not critically analyze the moves, but essentially support those moves with blind faith, or at least limited good reasoning or explanation thereof.

People don't get the perception that you work for the Oilers from nowhere. They get that perception, because it seems that although you have insight into hockey, you appear to be blind to obvious errors in judgement by management.

Thank you person I have never even met and you doesn't even know my name for clarifying to me how I think.

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714733 is a reply to message #714722 ]
Thu, 17 May 2018 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 11:48

Magnum wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 11:13

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

No you don't.

Thank you person I have never even met and you doesn't even know my name for clarifying to me how I think.

You're welcome person who's thoughts and opinions I'm exposed to everyday.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 May 2018 16:43]

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714820 is a reply to message #714676 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Good job everyone.

1. Oilfans
2. Connor

PoolParty's Signature

This may have been a dream...

I could swear that around 04/05 when I first started visiting this site...there was this poster named Adam...Gretzky avatar I think...but very different...always positive...defending moves made by the oilers...optimistic about the teams direction...almost Kool-Aid level..

I mean it was probably a dream...but I wonder what was the turning point. What was the one thing that would turn someone like that...so full of light and hope..

There are so many to choose from..

Makes me wonder if there is still hope for RDOilerfan to come around...in another decade or so maybe..

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: If Chia fails, then who? [message #714824 is a reply to message #714820 ]
Tue, 22 May 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 22 May 2018 08:18

This may have been a dream...

I could swear that around 04/05 when I first started visiting this site...there was this poster named Adam...Gretzky avatar I think...but very different...always positive...defending moves made by the oilers...optimistic about the teams direction...almost Kool-Aid level..

I mean it was probably a dream...but I wonder what was the turning point. What was the one thing that would turn someone like that...so full of light and hope..

There are so many to choose from..

Makes me wonder if there is still hope for RDOilerfan to come around...in another decade or so maybe..

Haha...I started here a little later than you...middle of summer, 2005...right around the time the team traded for Pronger and Peca. That managed to buy Lowe a lot of rope from me...I remember being called an Oil-pologist in those early days.

I did like MacTavish as a coach usually, even if I didn't agree with some of what he did (Reddox on the top line, Tobey Peterson on the PP, calling Reasoner "Sakic"...)

And Lowe had an amazing year in 2005-06...it was enough to make me think he had a clue what he was doing. After all, he'd always had the excuse before then that we couldn't compete in a cap-less world.

And then we got a salary cap, and a rich owner, and spent to the cap every year and sucked every year while squandering talent and wasting years and trying to position themselves as meaning to suck when they clearly just failed. They increasingly became focused on protecting their own jobs as opposed to winning. They continued to hire rookie coaches and rookie management and people who thought exactly like them and shockingly, more of the same wasn't the solution. They hired friends and family in to key positions that they weren't qualified for, and blamed underlings for all the failure.

Eventually, you start looking back at the earlier days and realizing that behaviours you excused at the time - the exile of Sheldon Souray, the public feuding with ex-players, the bizarre Mike Comrie non-trade - weren't really excusable and actually injured the team just for the benefit of the ego of the GM/POHO/Vice-Chair. And you notice that each change in management leaves the same people in the room, but just adds a layer of protection for them by hiring an outside fall-guy who can take the blame if all goes poorly.

If you look close enough, you can see that these guys already tried to reassume the wheel once when they thought the team was trending up...only to break it even worse immediately.

I do wish I could still be optimistic about this team. I wish I could still be considered the bright-eyed Oil-pologist. But I know that the incompetence of those in charge here has no bounds, and that if success comes to the Oilers while they're here, that it's in spite of them. It requires ridiculous luck - like winning 4 out of 6 first overall picks, or having a season where no key player suffers any injury more serious than a bruise - and even then it's clear that these guys can screw it up by not realizing opportunity when it's staring them in the eyes or by trading away great players at pennies on the dollar, because they confuse the team sucking (which is mostly management's fault) for those players sucking.

SIGH.

#Adam #TeamPessimisticCesspool

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Happy Jimmy Carson Day!
Next Topic:Is Darnell Nurse Good or Bad at Hockey?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca