This day on June 22
Acquired: David Oliver (1991) Martin Rucinsky (1991) Tyler Wright (1991) Boyd Devereaux (1996) Chris Hajt (1996) Fernando Pisani (1996) Tom Poti (1996) Matt Greene (2002) Jarret Stoll (2002) Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (2002) Kyle Brodziak (2003) Mathieu Roy (2003) Troy Bodie (2003) David Rohlfs (2003) Josef Hrabal (2003) Sam Gagner (2007) Alex Plante (2007) Riley Nash (2007)
Departed: Tyler Wright (1996) Jochen Hecht (2002)

Happy Birthday To: alleykatt, XCubedAttire, jermacg, ztacy, Jarvis Eastman, dogrocks44

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Slepyshev outPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Slepyshev out [message #714393 is a reply to message #714392 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 09:22

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 08:31

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 08:26

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 08:22

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 08:11

In my opinion if this organization can't replace players like Auvitu, Slep, Pakarinen who are borderline NHLers, then they are WAY worse off than anyone of us thought.

I can't remember who players like Auvitu, Slep, and Pakarinen were brought into replace, but I doubt they were any better than the departing group or the incoming group.

Good question, I don't remember either. Was Auvitu brought in to replace Reinhart? Shockingly Pakarinen has been an Oiler for 4 seasons. Why I don't know.

See? The organization can't replace players like Auvitu, Slep, and Pakarinen. They're way worse off that you thought.

There's not a direct correlation for many because guys like Slepyshev and Pakarinen were in the system for a while. But we can look at the guys they let walk to give them opportunity.

I'd suggest Auvitu, Gryba (re-signed) and Stanton were brought in to off-set the loss of Oesterle, Davidson, and Reinhart.

I'd suggest Tyler Pitlick wasn't given an offer at least partly because of Slepyshev. You could make the argument that Eberle was moved because they thought Slepyshev was ready to be a top-6 forward, but let's stick with Pitlick, because that is a bad enough judgement.

Cammalleri was brought in to replace Jokinen who was brought in to replace Pouliot.

Pakarinen was probably re-signed to off-set the departure of Lander and Hendricks. Pakarinen was pretty similar to Lander in many ways - great in the AHL, couldn't transition that to the NHL, but was a good PKer. Difference was Lander was a centre.

I think you are probably right.

The Pitlick one hurts a bit but in saying that, from the year he was drafted, I don't think there was a season where he didn't get a significant injury either with the Oilers or in the minors. I think he might have had a serious leg injury the year after he was drafted in junior. Last season after finally making the team and looking like a player, he gets a major leg injury and misses more than half the season. I thought I heard that the Oilers did offer him a contract but it was a 1 yr while Dallas gave him a 3 yr so he took the security. If I was him, I would take a longer term contract. If I am the Oilers, no way I give him more than a year.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714397 is a reply to message #714391 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

In my opinion if this organization can't replace players like Auvitu, Slep, Pakarinen who are borderline NHLers, then they are WAY worse off than anyone of us thought.

I can't remember who players like Auvitu, Slep, and Pakarinen were brought into replace, but I doubt they were any better than the departing group or the incoming group.

Good question, I don't remember either. Was Auvitu brought in to replace Reinhart? Shockingly Pakarinen has been an Oiler for 4 seasons. Why I don't know.

See? The organization can't replace players like Auvitu, Slep, and Pakarinen. They're way worse off that you thought.

This is by no means me saying that Skep, Auvitu or Pakarinen are the answer, or that they should be kept.

The issue for me is that good orgs let players like this walk because they have an equal or better replacement in the wings ready to step in.
If they happen to have a trade work out or an FA target signing that makes it a bigger improvement that is a bonus.
With the Oilers they have a bunch of unproven young guys, AHL players, FA targets or trade ideas. As usual I think they will will be going into the season with a half dozen or so question mark spots in the lineup. The answers to the those questions will be a dozen guys they HOPE will be able to step up and make the team better.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714402 is a reply to message #714397 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 14:24

This is by no means me saying that Skep, Auvitu or Pakarinen are the answer, or that they should be kept.

The issue for me is that good orgs let players like this walk because they have an equal or better replacement in the wings ready to step in.
If they happen to have a trade work out or an FA target signing that makes it a bigger improvement that is a bonus.
With the Oilers they have a bunch of unproven young guys, AHL players, FA targets or trade ideas. As usual I think they will will be going into the season with a half dozen or so question mark spots in the lineup. The answers to the those questions will be a dozen guys they HOPE will be able to step up and make the team better.

Either way, it's way worse than RDO thought. The Oilers are demonstrably bad at making hockey teams. We know this. We can argue about why they're bad and how it manifests, but we cannot argue the notion that they are bad. Because they are.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714405 is a reply to message #714402 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 14:42

Either way, it's way worse than RDO thought.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I said if they can't replace these guys this coming year, they are worse off than I thought.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714408 is a reply to message #714405 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:16

Please don't put words in my mouth. I said if they can't replace these guys this coming year, they are worse off than I thought.

And they can't. They have never been able to. That's not putting words in your mouth, that's using your words to form an argument.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714409 is a reply to message #714408 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:27

And they can't. They have never been able to. That's not putting words in your mouth, that's using your words to form an argument.

So you have the ability to look into the future and see who they brought in to takes these guys places and know for certain?

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714411 is a reply to message #714409 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:31

So you have the ability to look into the future and see who they brought in to takes these guys places and know for certain?

'Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.'

or
'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

depending which history book you believe.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714412 is a reply to message #714411 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:51

or

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

drink

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714413 is a reply to message #714412 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:57

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 15:51

or

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!"

drink

The definition of insan...

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid hoping it's Drain-O.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714425 is a reply to message #714409 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 21:33 Go to previous message

6 Cups

The short answer? Yes, I can see the future.

The long answer? Of course I can't see the future. Only an insane man would claim he could. What I can see is a repeating pattern of failure and waste with the Oilers. What I can see is a pattern of expectations that go unmet. What I can see is an organization that is unwilling to take a hard look at themselves and fix the root causes of the many problems affecting them. What I can't see is any reason for these patterns to change*. So my prediction remains, the Oilers will bring in players who aren't good enough because the Oilers aren't good enough.

Unless McDavid scores 50-80-130. That would make up for a lot of stupid, but still probably won't be enough to drag this team into the playoffs.

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714414 is a reply to message #714271 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Taking a look at the replacements over last year in terms of NHL games and points:

Oesterle: 55 games, 15 points
Auvitu: 33 games, 9 points

Davidson: 51 games, 7 points
Gryba: 21 games, 2 points

Pitlick: 80 games, 27 points
Slepyshev: 50 games, 12 points

Pouliot: 74 games, 19 points
Cammalleri: 66 games, 29 points

Hendricks: 60 games, 13 points
Pakarinen: 40 games, 3 points

Net loss/gain on defense:
OUT, 106 games, 22 points
IN, 54 games, 11 points

Net loss/gain on forward:
OUT, 214 games, 59 points
IN, 156 games, 44 points

These are depth players, and none of Slepyshev, Auvitu, or Pakarinen will be missed. But it's not just the top of the lineup where talent is gradually being eroded, it's all through the lineup. There is so much more than points that should go into evaluation, but it's not a stretch to suggest the only place where production increased from a replacement over the guys who left is Cammalleri over Pouliot (and Khaira/Lander, Rattie/Beck, I guess).

That's without considering Eberle/Strome.

We will see how they do at replacing the guys who left. They aren't very good, and candidly I may not have signed Auvitu or Pakarinen. But the Oilers did fail to adequately replace the guys who left last summer and if they fail to do so again this summer, we might be back to the Lennart Petrell levels of depth in the NHL.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2018 16:48]

Re: Slepyshev out [message #714417 is a reply to message #714414 ]
Mon, 07 May 2018 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 07 May 2018 16:11

Taking a look at the replacements over last year in terms of NHL games and points:

Oesterle: 55 games, 15 points
Davidson: 51 games, 7 points

Auvitu: 33 games, 9 points
Gryba: 21 games, 2 points

Pitlick: 80 games, 27 points
Slepyshev: 50 games, 12 points

Pouliot: 74 games, 19 points
Cammalleri: 66 games, 29 points

Hendricks: 60 games, 13 points
Pakarinen: 40 games, 3 points

Net loss/gain on defense:
OUT, 106 games, 22 points
IN, 54 games, 11 points

Net loss/gain on forward:
OUT, 214 games, 59 points
IN, 156 games, 44 points

These are depth players, and none of Slepyshev, Auvitu, or Pakarinen will be missed. But it's not just the top of the lineup where talent is gradually being eroded, it's all through the lineup. There is so much more than points that should go into evaluation, but it's not a stretch to suggest the only place where production increased from a replacement over the guys who left is Cammalleri over Pouliot (and Khaira/Lander, Rattie/Beck, I guess).

That's without considering Eberle/Strome.

We will see how they do at replacing the guys who left. They aren't very good, and candidly I may not have signed Auvitu or Pakarinen. But the Oilers did fail to adequately replace the guys who left last summer and if they fail to do so again this summer, we might be back to the Lennart Petrell levels of depth in the NHL.

I think that one issue is that the Oilers don't do well at evaluating the players they have. They are always measuring them against expectations that don't really register with reality.

I've read a couple places that the Oilers were disappointed in Ryan Strome this year. They shouldn't be. They traded for a guy they projected as a winger at first...he ended up being an adequate center and scored 34 points - his second best season of his career.

The Oilers are only disappointed because they had unrealistic expectations. They saw that he scored 50 points once and figured that was the reality and all his other results were only because he wasn't playing in the right situation. They figured he would magically be a 50+ point player again and people would barely blink about the Eberle deal because it would only be a 10-point gap, plus cap space, flexibility on position and an extra couple inches of height. Instead, he is what he almost always has shown to be, and they get a guy who scored at just over half the rate Eberle does, so they look like idiots.

They are holding it against Strome that they look like fools, but really, that's totally on them for making bad bets against long odds.

For what it's worth - I still think that Auvitu exceeded expectations this year as a seventh d-man. I had no issues with what he brought to the table.

And did you count him as a replacement here? It looks like you have him and Gryba flipped (although technically the Oilers didn't truly get rid of Gryba...we signed him to a two year deal!)

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:McLellan Stays, Herbers and Johnson out
Next Topic:Remenda rips the Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca