This day on June 19
None

Happy Birthday To: Mark Moose-E-eh?, WELLOILEDMACHINE, oiler_head

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710674]
Thu, 01 March 2018 03:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

2 Cups

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   28%
Nashville to win:   72%
32 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2017-18 Regular Season
Thursday, December 14, 2017Nashville 4 @ Edmonton 0Loss
Tuesday, January 9, 2018Edmonton 1 @ Nashville 2Loss
Thursday, March 1, 2018Nashville 4 @ Edmonton 2Loss
Home Record: 0-2-0       Road Record: 0-1-0       Overall Record: 0-3-0
Home / Road Goals For: 2/1 Total: 3
Home / Road Goals Against: 8/2 Total: 10

2016-17 Regular Season
Friday, January 20, 2017Nashville 3 @ Edmonton 2 (OT) (SO)Loss
Thursday, February 2, 2017Edmonton 0 @ Nashville 2Loss
Sunday, February 26, 2017Edmonton 4 @ Nashville 5Loss
Home Record: 0-0-1       Road Record: 0-2-0       Overall Record: 0-2-1
Home / Road Goals For: 2/4 Total: 6
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/7 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710678 is a reply to message #710674 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan is currently online GabbyDugan

No Cups

....Bettman is in town...wonder if the NHL brings in some unbiased on-ice officials, too....just this once....

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710679 is a reply to message #710678 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 07:34

....Bettman is in town...wonder if the NHL brings in some unbiased on-ice officials, too....just this once....

Saw a stat, we have 10% less PP's than the next lowest total for a team at this point in a season over the last 5 years. 151st out of 151 by a mile.

Yet, we haven't heard our management or coach mention anything relating to this once.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710681 is a reply to message #710679 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 10:38

Saw a stat, we have 10% less PP's than the next lowest total for a team at this point in a season over the last 5 years. 151st out of 151 by a mile.

Yet, we haven't heard our management or coach mention anything relating to this once.

Not to mention we have who should be IMO the #1 penalty drawer in the last decade by a mile - Connor should draw no less than 5 penalties/game.

They (Oilers) really should put together a montage from this past season of what was called against us and what was let go. Would make a pretty damning clip I think.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710683 is a reply to message #710679 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 08:38

Saw a stat, we have 10% less PP's than the next lower total for a team at this point in a season over the last 5 years. 151st out of 151 by a mile.

That's wild. Though, with the state our pp is in, an overall 13.8% on the pp... would a few more powerplays actually make a difference on this lost season?

2016: We need to get heavier, and we need a defenseman!

2018: We need to get faster, and we need a defenseman!

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710686 is a reply to message #710683 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 08:13

Saw a stat, we have 10% less PP's than the next lower total for a team at this point in a season over the last 5 years. 151st out of 151 by a mile.

That's wild. Though, with the state our pp is in, an overall 13.8% on the pp... would a few more powerplays actually make a difference on this lost season?

Naw, wouldn't have made any dif this year. But, still seems there is something going on where we have either PO'd the refs, or the refs just think we are the team they can crap on to appease every other team that does whine and complain and work them all night long. If we keep this management/coaching staff next year, it's a hurdle we may have to continue to overcome even if the roster is upgraded.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710687 is a reply to message #710686 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 09:33

Naw, wouldn't have made any dif this year. But, still seems there is something going on where we have either PO'd the refs, or the refs just think we are the team they can crap on to appease every other team that does whine and complain and work them all night long. If we keep this management/coaching staff next year, it's a hurdle we may have to continue to overcome even if the roster is upgraded.

I don't think the Ducks series last year coupled with McLellan refraining to ever comment on officiating has helped with this. It does seem to be a clear bias, highlighted by a cross-check to the back of Benning 5-feet from the boards, into the boards, with a referee literally watching not 10-feet away. Not to mention several, literally several, non-calls from infractions on McDavid that we've seen called on countless other stars players and role players from other teams. The level of officiating that the Oilers receive is disgusting.

My hope is tonight, with Gary in attendance, the zebras call a fair and even game. Though, I'm not holding my breath.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710719 is a reply to message #710687 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

Whenever you guys converse now, it looks like two versions of Chia having a conversation with each other.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710721 is a reply to message #710719 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 10:25

Whenever you guys converse now, it looks like two versions of Chia having a conversation with each other.

I tired man talking to a confused man, both wearing the wrong set of clothes for the job. The lack of juxtaposition is itself a juxtaposition.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710727 is a reply to message #710719 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:25

May not last long, when I win survivor tonight Pi and Adam may very well be changing my avatar icon_wink

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710755 is a reply to message #710727 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:14

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 11:25

May not last long, when I win survivor tonight Pi and Adam may very well be changing my avatar icon_wink

I've really enjoyed this avatar. I'm amused every time I see it.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710762 is a reply to message #710755 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Interesting idea I had. Why don't we let McDavid Quarterback the PP from the point. After the draw the dman head to the side boards McDavid heads out to the high point. Have Nuge or Drai switch to the center. McDavid isn't a huge one time threat . I'd rather he be used to do the hardest thing this team has trouble with on the PP. Moving the puck quickly. I'd also be in favor of using a 4 th forward on the pp unit that starts. Gotta have a dman out before the penalty ends though.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2018 14:14]

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710764 is a reply to message #710762 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 15:11

Interesting idea I had. Why don't we let McDavid Quarterback the PP from the point. After the draw the dman head to the side boards McDavid heads out to the high point. Have Nuge or Drai switch to the center. McDavid isn't a huge one time threat . I'd rather he be used to do the hardest thing this team has trouble with on the PP. Moving the puck quickly.

Because, though he is fast, having a natural defenseman playing the point is ideal for those times the puck jumps and creates a shorthanded chance.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710766 is a reply to message #710764 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 14:13

Interesting idea I had. Why don't we let McDavid Quarterback the PP from the point. After the draw the dman head to the side boards McDavid heads out to the high point. Have Nuge or Drai switch to the center. McDavid isn't a huge one time threat . I'd rather he be used to do the hardest thing this team has trouble with on the PP. Moving the puck quickly.

Because, though he is fast, having a natural defenseman playing the point is ideal for those times the puck jumps and creates a shorthanded chance.

But our defensemen suck at that. You really worried about someone out running McDavid to a puck? He could gift them a whole zone and a still beat em there.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710771 is a reply to message #710766 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 15:16

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 14:13

But our defensemen suck at that. You really worried about someone out running McDavid to a puck? He could gift them a whole zone and a still beat em there.

Nope, not worried about anyone out running him to a puck, hence my saying "though he is fast". My point was that on those breaks, though he is fast, a natural defender would have a greater chance at winning a puck battle.

I would agree that with our current make-up the best option is a puck-mover on the point, as there isn't anyone with a consistent "bomb". I still think Kelfbom is the best option on the point for the first unit. He IS capable of moving the puck and every now and then he CAN have a cannon. The supplementary pieces are... lacking. Connor/Leon on the half boards and low are solid. Lucic, on his game, as the net front presence... peachy. The hash marks on the opposite side of McDavid... it's gotta be Puljarjvi.

I truthfully believe that first unit would have a much better success rate once/if Puljujarvi is moved on to it as the shooter more than moving McDavid to the point would.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710767 is a reply to message #710762 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

Babaganoosh wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 14:11

Interesting idea I had. Why don't we let McDavid Quarterback the PP from the point. After the draw the dman head to the side boards McDavid heads out to the high point. Have Nuge or Drai switch to the center. McDavid isn't a huge one time threat . I'd rather he be used to do the hardest thing this team has trouble with on the PP. Moving the puck quickly. I'd also be in favor of using a 4 th forward on the pp unit that starts. Gotta have a dman out before the penalty ends though.

It's not that crazy of a idea.

They have ZERO threat from the point on the PP, be it a shooter or puck distributor. Currently no teams need to respect our blue line when they are on the PK.

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710770 is a reply to message #710767 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I also noticed a few tendencies of the Nashville PK. Mainly the aggressiveness of their forwards. When the puck goes to the point their forward charge hard and try to force a pass low to the side boards where their dmen grind you down. I noticed as their forwards press the point it opens up a gap between the Nashville forwards and dmen. If we can get the puck to the point quickly and pop a quick support pass into to the high slot it will create 3 on 2s on their defensemen down low.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710763 is a reply to message #710687 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 08:43

My hope is tonight, with Gary in attendance, the zebras call a fair and even game. Though, I'm not holding my breath.

I'm thinking the other way. I'm for same old, same old..

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/flying_tank.jpg

For many more reasons than the draft pick..

Limecat Logic

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710765 is a reply to message #710763 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 15:13

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 08:43

I'm thinking the other way. I'm for same old, same old..

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/images/flying_tank.jpg

For many more reasons than the draft pick..

All 'bout that tank

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710726 is a reply to message #710683 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 07:13

That could be why our PP is so bad, the chances to use it in game time are few and far between...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710688 is a reply to message #710679 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bath(i)robe  is currently offline bath(i)robe

No Cups

Do you have a source for this stat. I don't debate the truthfulness of it at all, and I am not trying to call you out on it. I was just having this debate about how little penalties are called against the Oilers this year with a friend of mine and I would love the opportunity to show him this.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710754 is a reply to message #710688 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

You can use nhl.com to filter out the answer

***Edit*** Tried to post the NHL.com result to my search but doesn't appear to work.

2013-2014 Blues top out at 3.86 Minor Penalties drawn per 60 mins
2016-1017 Canucks in 150th at 2.66
2017-2018 Oilers in 151st at 2.46

Thats even a huge gap from 150 to 151.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 March 2018 13:17]

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710725 is a reply to message #710678 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 06:34

That's why he's there, to ensure they are keeping the bias enforced...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710680 is a reply to message #710674 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

GO OILERS! MUST WIN... for my survivor hopes. haha

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710689 is a reply to message #710674 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Well when we get eaten, leave our Precious Connor McDavid alone and unscathed.

Bettman in town, not sure why but certainly to explain why we got overlooked from the draft. You know, new arena and all.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710702 is a reply to message #710689 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Hopefully the team will put in a better effort than the San Jose game.

With Bettman in the house, I would really like it if the refs did their usual garbage job. Have McDavid get blatantly tripped, hacked, hooked, have a guy drag him to the ice. Maybe mix in a dangerous hit from behind where the ref just stands and watches it. Hopefully their will be a goal review where they completely screw it up so Bettman can see it live and in person rather than seeing it on tape or hearing about it. But I fully expect the refs to have their best game of the night tonight.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710704 is a reply to message #710702 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

Has anyone heard anything on Nuge? He got injured Jan 13 and he's in his 7th week being out. He supposedly has cracked ribs but you can break a bone and it would be healed by now.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710706 is a reply to message #710704 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 09:40

Has anyone heard anything on Nuge? He got injured Jan 13 and he's in his 7th week being out. He supposedly has cracked ribs but you can break a bone and it would be healed by now.

Last I heard was that he was skating with the team again and was expected to be back in the line up "some time" this month.

edit: From Gregor's article from a few days ago on ON:
Quote:

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is skating with the Oilers and will return to the lineup in early March

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710707 is a reply to message #710704 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 10:40

Started skating again on Feb 20, I think it was and the reports then were that he'd be back "sometime" in March. 5-6 weeks was the initial prognoses. So, should be back soon?

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710722 is a reply to message #710689 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Rocksteady wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 08:46

Bettman in town, not sure why but certainly to explain why we got overlooked from the draft. You know, new arena and all.

OEG isn't applying to host the draft or all-star game until Ice District is complete.

There is a Gretzky/Bettman speaking engagement/hot stove before the game. I'll report back if it's anything beyond fluff.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710705 is a reply to message #710674 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

1 Cup

Charron worked in Montreal last night and St Laurent worked in St Louis last night, so the odds of getting either of the jagoffs from the last Nashville game are fairly low. That game was as bad as I've ever seen refereeing on the NHL level.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710772 is a reply to message #710674 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Pre-game lineup

Lucic - McDavid - Slepyshev
Cammalleri - Draisaitl - Rattie
Puljujarvi - Strome - Aberg
Caggiula - Khaira - Pakarinen

Nurse - Russell
Klefbom - Benning
Sekera - Bear/Auvitu

Talbot

Larsson has returned to Sweden for his Father's funeral and will miss the next two games.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710773 is a reply to message #710772 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

OilMJMOil wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 15:46

Fin/Can/Swe

That language barrier will give them no hope of success.

If they are out there with Sekera (SVK) and Auvitu (FRE) at the same time the world may collapse on itself.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710774 is a reply to message #710773 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 14:51

Fin/Can/Swe

If they are out there with Sekera (SVK) and Auvitu (FRE) at the same time the world may collapse on itself.

Nice podium though. Except the Fin is usually to the right.

Re: Pregame: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64) [message #710776 is a reply to message #710773 ]
Thu, 01 March 2018 15:11 Go to previous message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Thu, 01 March 2018 15:51

Fin/Can/Swe

They scored Tuesday! Puljujarvi with the goal, Aberg with the primary and Strome with the hard work to initiate and get the secondary apple!

Previous Topic:GDT: Nashville @ Edmonton (Game #64)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ San Jose (Game #63)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca