This day on August 23
Departed: Micah Aivazoff (1995) Boyd Devereaux (2000)

Happy Birthday To: Pseudoreality, Marc the Habs Fan, Gaprider, NotLeeFogolin, jubes23

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » What happened to Oscar?Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711208 is a reply to message #711136 ]
Tue, 06 March 2018 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Admin please delete this thread. Klefbom is clearly fixed after last night.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711403 is a reply to message #708979 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

McLellan suggesting today that Klef may need an "operation". And the treatment he got a couple months ago was just a temporary measure that wears off and may be wearing off.

Just keep playing him 23+ though.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711405 is a reply to message #711403 ]
Thu, 08 March 2018 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 14:50

McLellan suggesting today that Klef may need an "operation". And the treatment he got a couple months ago was just a temporary measure that wears off and may be wearing off.

If that is the case, then shut him down. I know hockey players are tough guys and they usually play through a lot but at this point who cares. It's not like they don't have enough left handed dmen. I wonder if once Larsson finally gets back from dealing with his fathers death, they will shut him down. I don't see how the Oilers defense is dramatically worse especially given where they are in the standings if they are rolling: some combination of Nurse, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Sekera, Bear, Auvitu.

Does anyone think it's a bit of a red flag with Klefbom? I have heard via Stauffer that it sounds like its his shoulder. He said he recently got a cortizone shot and those do eventually wear off. Did he not have problems right after he was drafted with a shoulder? I am hoping this isn't a reoccurring thing. Early in his career he had shoulder problems. Then he comes over and has problems with his ankle and his skate that turns into a staph infection. So he can't wear normal skates like the majority of players. So he has to have special skates made. Now he has another shoulder injury.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 March 2018 15:13]

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711598 is a reply to message #711405 ]
Mon, 12 March 2018 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 08 March 2018 15:08

If that is the case, then shut him down. I know hockey players are tough guys and they usually play through a lot but at this point who cares. It's not like they don't have enough left handed dmen. I wonder if once Larsson finally gets back from dealing with his fathers death, they will shut him down. I don't see how the Oilers defense is dramatically worse especially given where they are in the standings if they are rolling: some combination of Nurse, Larsson, Russell, Benning, Sekera, Bear, Auvitu.

Does anyone think it's a bit of a red flag with Klefbom? I have heard via Stauffer that it sounds like its his shoulder. He said he recently got a cortizone shot and those do eventually wear off. Did he not have problems right after he was drafted with a shoulder? I am hoping this isn't a reoccurring thing. Early in his career he had shoulder problems. Then he comes over and has problems with his ankle and his skate that turns into a staph infection. So he can't wear normal skates like the majority of players. So he has to have special skates made. Now he has another shoulder injury.

looks like either Oscar is trying to get back into the lineup by sucking it up and playing through the pain or the Oilers are pushing him to play...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-monday-practice-updates -312/c-296863834?tid=281885062

I like the compete level Klefbom is showing, but don't want to see him risk his future by pushing the envelope in this lost season....hope he ends up doing what is best for him for the next seasons, not this one...

Bear and Russell together and Benning with Sekera....forward lines pretty much the same as Saturday night vs. Minnesota....

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711599 is a reply to message #711598 ]
Mon, 12 March 2018 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Mon, 12 March 2018 16:51

looks like either Oscar is trying to get back into the lineup by sucking it up and playing through the pain or the Oilers are pushing him to play...

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/blog-monday-practice-updates -312/c-296863834?tid=281885062

I like the compete level Klefbom is showing, but don't want to see him risk his future by pushing the envelope in this lost season....hope he ends up doing what is best for him for the next seasons, not this one...

Bear and Russell together and Benning with Sekera....forward lines pretty much the same as Saturday night vs. Minnesota....

This is all very weird. I don't recall ever hearing about a player with a year long injury that gets a minor procedure that sits him out af few days, and then plays some NHL games to test if the procedure fixed a year long issue to determine if a major surgery is needed. Can't he just do some exercises in a gym with doctors to test his shoulder?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711600 is a reply to message #711599 ]
Mon, 12 March 2018 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 12 March 2018 17:08

This is all very weird. I don't recall ever hearing about a player with a year long injury that gets a minor procedure that sits him out af few days, and then plays some NHL games to test if the procedure fixed a year long issue to determine if a major surgery is needed. Can't he just do some exercises in a gym with doctors to test his shoulder?

Hopefully Nuge gives him some advice about how to deal with shoulder problems as an Oiler. Although I hear tell some boys on the bus had incredible tolerance for playing through pain. Klef probably wouldn't want to look bad in front of a guy that knows so much about winning.

This is fine.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711664 is a reply to message #711598 ]
Tue, 13 March 2018 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

I am wondering if this whole shoulder thing and Klefbom is exactly what I said. The Oilers have laid out some options, some of them involved not getting anything major done that might work but then there is the surgery option. I say this because like it has been said, it seems weird they would get a minor thing done, wait a couple of days to see if takes, then try it. This is just my opinion but given the fact that the Oilers mentioned that they were doing this small procedure, waiting a few days, then bringing in the docs, Klefbom and his agent to go over things. It leads me to believe that Klefbom has decided to exhaust all possibilities first before opting for surgery.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711781 is a reply to message #711664 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Oil-shoulder-itus claims another victim!

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack

Klefbom will play tonight vs SJ. Sounds like he’ll have a procedure done soon to “clean up” shoulder; at that point he’ll be out for the rest of the season.

Klefbom’s procedure doesn’t sound like it will cost him any portion of 2018-19 training camp.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711783 is a reply to message #711781 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

The fact that a surgery has been identified as being needed to clean up his shoulder tells me this is the player wanting to keep going and hold off as long as he can. I am sure part of it is he wants to play because he has missed so much time and doesn't want to be seen as the guy that always misses a bunch of time. I personally would prefer he just get it done now because the season is lost so he has that much more time to heal and train but it's his body so he has the right to choose.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711784 is a reply to message #711783 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

I guess in the end it truly Klefbom's decision but I am not so sure things work that way. Can't the manager or coach shutdown a player that is not 100% and supercede his decision to play? Worse yet if it is our management or coach deciding he's still good to go.

This is unnecessary risk for a season that is long over. I cannot believe the risk of further injury is 0 as that's just unrealistic. I also cannot believe the possibility that he is ready for training camp is 100% either.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711789 is a reply to message #711784 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

MJ wrote on Wed, 14 March 2018 12:09

I guess in the end it truly Klefbom's decision but I am not so sure things work that way. Can't the manager or coach shutdown a player that is not 100% and supercede his decision to play? Worse yet if it is our management or coach deciding he's still good to go.

This is unnecessary risk for a season that is long over. I cannot believe the risk of further injury is 0 as that's just unrealistic. I also cannot believe the possibility that he is ready for training camp is 100% either.

Really good question. It would be interesting to see what is in a usual contract. I would think there would be clauses about providing any medical treatment the player needs. But I would be surprised if the team can force a player to get a procedure done without his consent. It's his body. Even if the surgery is routine, there is always a risk with any surgery. So he'd have to agree to taking on that risk. I would assume the player would have to agree to take whatever medical advice he gets and as long as he gets whatever needs done in a reasonable time frame, the team has to live with it.

I supposed the team could always just not play him but then you run the risk of pissing off the player. It sounds like this "clean out" will happen next week so I guess if no further damage can be done to it, no harm done. Based on what I just listened to McLellen say on Oilers NOW. Sounds like this isn't a new thing. He had it last year as well. He was getting treatments last year and they worked well, this year they didn't work. Sounds like it is the same shoulder that he had surgery on before. I sure hope this isn't an ongoing thing with that shoulder.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711817 is a reply to message #711784 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

If he needs surgery then send him for surgery, now. Maximize the time window between surgery and training camp to sort out any post-surgery, rehab, getting back in shape. Shoulders can be ugly things to 100% recover from so atleast make a wise bet to give Klefbom the most time possible to get better and get stronger again.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711787 is a reply to message #711781 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Wed, 14 March 2018 11:55

Oil-shoulder-itus claims another victim!

Jack Michaels @EdmontonJack

Klefbom will play tonight vs SJ. Sounds like he’ll have a procedure done soon to “clean up” shoulder; at that point he’ll be out for the rest of the season.

Klefbom’s procedure doesn’t sound like it will cost him any portion of 2018-19 training camp.

Know he needs and will get season ending surgery.

Let's just keep playing him though.

This team is just the bestest.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711790 is a reply to message #711787 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4szoHuIz0

Before you go ripping the team for Klefbom. Here is the clip from McLellan posted 34 mins ago about Klefbom. I am not trying to stick up for the team but if the player goes to the doc the doc tells him we can try these treatments and they might work for awhile or surgery and the player opps for the treatments over the surgery which based on what McLellan said in the first min is what Klefbom has been doing since last season, how do you blame the team?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2018 12:28]

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711794 is a reply to message #711790 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
philly boy  is currently offline philly boy

No Cups

Because both the player and the team are idiotic and wrong. Both have to use better judgment and in the case of the team they have to save the player from himself. Of course he will still want to play.

Ultimately, there is no benefit to him playing. The season was lost well over a month ago. There is a strong possibility of aggravating the injury or risking the long term health of the shoulder, the more he plays. Therefore it makes no sense for him to play whatsoever, and he should be shut down and do whatever is required now, while he is still young, in order to best serve himself and the team for the long haul. This guy is a key player for the team, some would even argue he's part of the immovable core. They have him locked up to a long term deal. He's had an awful season. So let him rest, or do the surgery, whichever one, but at the least, shut him down.

Stupid player, stupid coaches, stupid organization, they all go hand in hand.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 March 2018 12:55]

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711799 is a reply to message #711794 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

philly boy wrote on Wed, 14 March 2018 12:49

Because both the player and the team are idiotic and wrong. Both have to use better judgment and in the case of the team they have to save the player from himself. Of course he will still want to play.

Ultimately, there is no benefit to him playing. The season was lost well over a month ago. There is a strong possibility of aggravating the injury or risking the long term health of the shoulder, the more he plays. Therefore it makes no sense for him to play whatsoever, and he should be shut down and do whatever is required now, while he is still young, in order to best serve himself and the team for the long haul. This guy is a key player for the team, some would even argue he's part of the immovable core. They have him locked up in a long term deal. He's had an awful season. So let him rest, or do the surgery, whichever one, but at the least, shut him down.

I am of the opinion that Klefbom was probably a little gun shy of opting for surgery give all the troubles he had with his foot. If I was in his shoes, I would probably not be jumping at the chance to get back on the operating table and if there was any chance treatments would work to the point that surgery wouldn't be needed or at least delayed for awhile, I would opt for treatments first.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711813 is a reply to message #711799 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 March 2018 12:58

Ultimately, there is no benefit to him playing. The season was lost well over a month ago. There is a strong possibility of aggravating the injury or risking the long term health of the shoulder, the more he plays. Therefore it makes no sense for him to play whatsoever, and he should be shut down and do whatever is required now, while he is still young, in order to best serve himself and the team for the long haul. This guy is a key player for the team, some would even argue he's part of the immovable core. They have him locked up in a long term deal. He's had an awful season. So let him rest, or do the surgery, whichever one, but at the least, shut him down.

I am of the opinion that Klefbom was probably a little gun shy of opting for surgery give all the troubles he had with his foot. If I was in his shoes, I would probably not be jumping at the chance to get back on the operating table and if there was any chance treatments would work to the point that surgery wouldn't be needed or at least delayed for awhile, I would opt for treatments first.

Then the organization should have at least shut him down for the season if he's worried about surgery. I feel that would be wiser than wearing whatever ails him down to a little nub.

What's to be gained by playing while injured? The season was lost ages ago. Just like philly boy said. Stupid player, stupid coaches, stupid organization.

#firebob

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711815 is a reply to message #711813 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 14 March 2018 13:39

Then the organization should have at least shut him down for the season if he's worried about surgery. I feel that would be wiser than wearing whatever ails him down to a little nub.

What's to be gained by playing while injured? The season was lost ages ago. Just like philly boy said. Stupid player, stupid coaches, stupid organization.

Stupid fans?

This is fine.

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711820 is a reply to message #711815 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 14 March 2018 13:45

Stupid fans?

EXACTLY.

Didn't you know someone here posted a video? Get with it!

We can all relax now.

#firebob

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #711836 is a reply to message #711813 ]
Wed, 14 March 2018 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

That's just it. What's playing an extra game while hurt going to do? We know that Klefbom has been hurt, favouring his shoulder and just had a minor procedure - most likely a scope - that kept him out of the last couple of games. Even if the chances of aggravating the injury are minor, why risk it?

The possible gains - Klefbom gets 3 more games played on his resume this year. He may pick up a point or two. The Oilers might even win a couple of them. All of this is tempered by the fact that it doesn't matter any more. The playoff hunt is over for the Oilers.

The possible risks - He's hurt, and could be hurt further. He's been protecting his shoulder for a while and he just had a small surgery, so I do not believe there's no risk to it. He also is possibly not the best option for the team, given that he's hurt. Is an injured Klefbom head and shoulders above a healthy Benning - especially since playing him means that they have to play at least one left shot on the wrong side? On top of that, there's a perception that the Oilers have been irresponsible in the past in dealing with player injuries. They've been accused of pushing players who are injured to come back early (other than the rookie season McDavid injury when they held him out a month longer than expected). It shouldn't help that perception when you consider that he injured his shoulder in the playoffs last year and the Oilers had him play all season with it only to learn now that he needs surgery.

I think the risks far outweigh the gains here. There's no real good argument for letting him dress this week when you know his season ends Monday and you know the Oilers season ends on April 7th.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712126 is a reply to message #708979 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

2 Cups

Oscar has officially been shut down for the remainder of the season.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712129 is a reply to message #712126 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 15:09

Glad he got to play those extra three games.

This is fine.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712131 is a reply to message #712129 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 15:22

Stauffer tweeting today that Klefbom would be "A keeper moving forward", has "a value contract", is a "Very popular teammate" and "had a strong final 4 months" in his opinion.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712134 is a reply to message #712131 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

OilMJMOil wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 15:46

Stauffer tweeting today that Klefbom would be "A keeper moving forward", has "a value contract", is a "Very popular teammate" and "had a strong final 4 months" in his opinion.

Stauffer is the mouth piece of the team. If he is saying that, chances are its being told to him by the team to "leak" as his opinion.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712138 is a reply to message #712134 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 15:57

Stauffer is the mouth piece of the team. If he is saying that, chances are its being told to him by the team to "leak" as his opinion.

The team's mouthpiece also was talking to John Shannon today and stressed the importance of continuity, again pointed to Tampa Bay as an example of why the Oilers shouldn't make any changes in management and coaching (despite the fact there's nothing comparable about Tampa Bay last year and the Oilers of this year) and along with Shannon gave the coaches a vote of confidence because "Todd is a good hockey man."

SIGH.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712142 is a reply to message #712138 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 16:01

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 15:57

The team's mouthpiece also was talking to John Shannon today and stressed the importance of continuity, again pointed to Tampa Bay as an example of why the Oilers shouldn't make any changes in management and coaching (despite the fact there's nothing comparable about Tampa Bay last year and the Oilers of this year) and along with Shannon gave the coaches a vote of confidence because "Todd is a good hockey man."

SIGH.

Just a question as I don't want to come across as advocating for McLellan because I am not. He was nominated for the Jack Adams last year. I am assuming to get nominated for that award and to get the team to game 7 of the Western Semi's while being royally screwed by the refs, you have to at least know something about coaching and it wasn't all just "Connor, go score me a goal".

There is no way to know for sure but I believe it is safe to assume that if the PP, which I believe was top 5 last year was say even middle of the pack and the PK was better, 2 things that fall on the assistants and the goaltending was better. Talbot was 4th in vezina voting last year and this year is near the bottom in the league. So if the PP was mediocre, the PK was medicore and Talbot was even middle of the pack, I would think the Oilers would be in the playoffs. So if the Oilers were in the playoffs, would McLellan be a terrible coach in your eyes?

I know you dislike him and if he is fired, I won't be upset what so ever but it's a pretty fine line between being a good coach and a bad coach. So it wouldn't shock me if the entire assistant staff is gutted with McLellan being there. I could also see one of the assistants being a former head coach where if the team faulters, he is there to step in.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712143 is a reply to message #712142 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 16:26

So if the PP was mediocre, the PK was medicore and Talbot was even middle of the pack, I would think the Oilers would be in the playoffs. So if the Oilers were in the playoffs, would McLellan be a terrible coach in your eyes?

I say no, they wouldn’t be in the playoffs. Look down the highway at Calgary.

There’s chatter of Gulutzan getting canned should the Flames not go on a complete tear to make the playoffs. We’ve seen what the Flames are like with average to above average goaltending in Smith this year with the 25th ranked pp and 12th ranked pk and they’re very likely not making the playoffs.

And to answer the other part, yes. We saw last playoffs that he absolutely refuses to match lines. He throws out the McBlender when things don’t go our way and he continually rewards those without merit while Jesse P licks his nostrils on the bench.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712144 is a reply to message #712142 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Just a question as I don't want to come across as advocating for McLellan because I am not. He was nominated for the Jack Adams last year. I am assuming to get nominated for that award and to get the team to game 7 of the Western Semi's while being royally screwed by the refs, you have to at least know something about coaching and it wasn't all just "Connor, go score me a goal".

There is no way to know for sure but I believe it is safe to assume that if the PP, which I believe was top 5 last year was say even middle of the pack and the PK was better, 2 things that fall on the assistants and the goaltending was better. Talbot was 4th in vezina voting last year and this year is near the bottom in the league. So if the PP was mediocre, the PK was medicore and Talbot was even middle of the pack, I would think the Oilers would be in the playoffs. So if the Oilers were in the playoffs, would McLellan be a terrible coach in your eyes?

I know you dislike him and if he is fired, I won't be upset what so ever but it's a pretty fine line between being a good coach and a bad coach. So it wouldn't shock me if the entire assistant staff is gutted with McLellan being there. I could also see one of the assistants being a former head coach where if the team faulters, he is there to step in.

Once again, I have nothing personal against McLellan (or anyone else you think I "dislike").

I do not think he was good last year either, and I was pretty consistent in my criticism of his systems even as the team did okay. I realized there were issues with McLellan and that the game plan DID seem to be that if the first line outscores the opposition, then the other lines could just try to tread water. I scoffed last year at the Jack Adams' nomination and said very clearly that the Oilers success was almost entirely on the backs of McDavid, Talbot and team health - and that if one or two of those pillars disappeared at all this year, we were in trouble. I'm not Nostradamus - it was just clear that there were significant flaws in how McLellan coaches his teams.

I do not think there is a fine line between being a good coach and a bad coach, and I don't think McLellan is a good coach. I suspect that if we went back and watched San Jose games from all those years when they were Stanley Cup favourites and cratered out early we'd see all the same things:
- an over-reliance on star players with a focus on just not getting scored on from the supporting cast
- an inability to adjust to counter opposing team strategies
- a stubbornness to stick with things that aren't working
- regression from supporting cast members
- a failure to take advantage of opportunities presented in games, and strange deployment decisions

I don't respect bosses who blame their underlings for things that are clearly still their responsibility. If McLellan gave Johnson the PK, he should have taken it back sometime in 2016-17 as the last two thirds of that season it was a disaster.

The PP was bad for the first half of last year and all of this year. If McLellan really just left it in the hands of Woodcroft and watched it flounder while doing nothing, then he's ultimately to blame for that.

If you're a head coach in football and your team is failing on offence, it isn't enough to just blame the offensive coordinator. If you just sit idly by and watch it fail, then you're getting fired too at season's end. Unfortunately, there's often less accountability with the Oilers than in other sports/businesses and so it wouldn't be surprising to see players and assistants blamed for this.

In short, yes, even if the Oilers were a playoff team - which they clearly are not - I would think we could do much better than Todd McLellan as our coach.

Status quo for management and coaching, given this disaster of a season - the last cheap year of McDavid - is just more rewarding failure for an organization that's a continuing embarrassment to its fans. The Oilers don't deserve us.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712149 is a reply to message #712144 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

We all remember the hype about Dallas Eakins being a ' good hockey' man too and look where that got us. The boys ( McTavish and Lowe and Eakins ) were just sitting around talking hockey so based on that they decide to can a really good coach in Ralph Kruger and give good old hockey man Dallas the job. I think the Oiers can do a lot better than the coaching staff they currently have. You can't pin the failed season entirely on Mclellan, just a large chunk of it. Frustrating to watch his lack of creativity and inalbility to adapt to get the most out of the team he has. !

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712158 is a reply to message #712149 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

overdue wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 19:38

We all remember the hype about Dallas Eakins being a ' good hockey' man too and look where that got us. The boys ( McTavish and Lowe and Eakins ) were just sitting around talking hockey so based on that they decide to can a really good coach in Ralph Kruger and give good old hockey man Dallas the job. I think the Oiers can do a lot better than the coaching staff they currently have. You can't pin the failed season entirely on Mclellan, just a large chunk of it. Frustrating to watch his lack of creativity and inalbility to adapt to get the most out of the team he has. !

In an irony of ironies Kruger just fired his coach (who was in the first year of a three year contract) for leading their team to a dismal season and potentially being relegated. Accountability!

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712163 is a reply to message #712158 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Tue, 20 March 2018 03:47

In an irony of ironies Kruger just fired his coach (who was in the first year of a three year contract) for leading their team to a dismal season and potentially being relegated. Accountability!

I wonder if he dropped the axe over Skype...

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712188 is a reply to message #712158 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

stemhovlichski wrote on Tue, 20 March 2018 02:47

That's pretty funny.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712162 is a reply to message #712142 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

1 Cup

it wouldn't shock me if the entire assistant staff is gutted with McLellan being there. I could also see one of the assistants being a former head coach where if the team faulters, he is there to step in.

Thinking outside the box. I like it!

What if...and this is a bit crazy but hear me out...one of the new assistants was...wait for it...Paul Coffey! Pretty sure he was a head coach of his sons peewee team or something. But anyway who cares he's Paul Coffey!

I just wish the teams management could identify and implement some legitimately innovative solutions like this!

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712187 is a reply to message #712162 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 20 March 2018 07:06

it wouldn't shock me if the entire assistant staff is gutted with McLellan being there. I could also see one of the assistants being a former head coach where if the team faulters, he is there to step in.

What if...and this is a bit crazy but hear me out...one of the new assistants was...wait for it...Paul Coffey! Pretty sure he was a head coach of his sons peewee team or something. But anyway who cares he's Paul Coffey!

I just wish the teams management could identify and implement some legitimately innovative solutions like this!

Its called a transition plan buddy :)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner, Petrovic = Nathan Legare

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712193 is a reply to message #712162 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Jay wrote on Tue, 20 March 2018 08:06

It's so utterly transparent when the team foists an experienced "associate coach" who's not the pick of the head coach that they're setting up an in-case-we-fire-you succession plan. If you're going to go that route, you might as well just fire him now. It's not like it's subtle, or that the head coach doesn't see it as a signal he better keep his resume up to date and it sets up a weird dynamic in the coaches room that isn't healthy for the group.

If you don't believe you have the right guy, then fire him and get it over with. If you really think he's the guy, then you let him choose his assistants. If he blames his assistants for all his failures, then he's not the right guy and you fire him, especially if he still wants to keep those assistants.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712135 is a reply to message #712131 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

That actually makes it happy. It's less likely they'll trade Klefbom for magic beans and unused cap space if the Minister of Propaganda is talking about him as a long term asset.

This is fine.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712137 is a reply to message #712135 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 16:00

That actually makes it happy. It's less likely they'll trade Klefbom for magic beans and unused cap space if the Minister of Propaganda is talking about him as a long term asset.

100%

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712133 is a reply to message #712129 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Actually I am glad for KLEFBOM he got to play those games. Instead of twiddling his thumbs waiting for surgery, he got to go out with his teammates, play WELL, get some points and help his team get a win. So instead of going into surgery and the offseason on a low note given he is done for the year thanks to another injury and after playing lousy, he can go into surgery and the offseason on a bit of a high note. Heaven forbid, fans would want the players on the Oilers to EVER feel good about something.

Re: Oscar Shoulder Surgery: Shut Down for RoS [message #712136 is a reply to message #712133 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 15:55

Actually I am glad for KLEFBOM he got to play those games. Instead of twiddling his thumbs waiting for surgery, he got to go out with his teammates, play WELL, get some points and help his team get a win. So instead of going into surgery and the offseason on a low note given he is done for the year thanks to another injury and after playing lousy, he can go into surgery and the offseason on a bit of a high note. Heaven forbid, fans would want the players on the Oilers to EVER feel good about something.

He played well this last week. Really hope they keep him.. if he and Larsson can return to their 2016/17 form the Oilers are a much much better team. They, the team and we as fans, need that to happen.

Survivor 52 CHAMP

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #712150 is a reply to message #708979 ]
Mon, 19 March 2018 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Hope Oscar is gonna be good to go for the 19/20 season now. Think it goes without saying he will spend the next 1.5 years dealing with infections and additional surgeries. Hopefully the baboon heart he ends up with is NHL quality.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: What happened to Oscar? [message #712159 is a reply to message #712150 ]
Tue, 20 March 2018 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 19 March 2018 20:32

Hope Oscar is gonna be good to go for the 19/20 season now. Think it goes without saying he will spend the next 1.5 years dealing with infections and additional surgeries. Hopefully the baboon heart he ends up with is NHL quality.

Oilers won't bring him back until he's 100%, right? I mean he's not Souray, Hemsky or Sekera. Did I miss any?

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Winds of Change
Next Topic:Leafs Nation trolls the Oilers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca