This day on September 24
Acquired: Jim Harrison (1979)

Happy Birthday To: linseman13, BigPoppaSmurf, emanorama, gdunbar

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Talbot: We're going to make the playoffsPages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708182 is a reply to message #708181 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 31 January 2018 13:29

Do I think the Oilers should have gotten a better back up? Yes I do. But I challenge you to show me a team who can have their starter be lousy and be so deep and have such a great back up, that they can roll along not missing a beat.

The Jets are a really good, deep, talented team. They have lots of good forwards and good defense. It's not like they signed a ton of free agents, the bulk of their team was home grown. They have the same coach, I believe same assistants and I would assume the same system. They didn't make the playoffs and have been without their superstar - Schiefelle - for a while know and continue to roll along. So what has changed this year? They have goaltending. They weren't convinced Hellebuck could do the job, so they went out, picked up Mason, surprise, surprise, he sucked. Well Hellebuck has figured it out and has been outstanding. I really have a hard time believing that if Hellebuck wasn't as good, the Jets would be kicking everyone's ass like they are. ONE GUY changed the fortunes of what has looked like a good team for a few years now.

The 2 time champs have been in and out of the playoffs all year. If they make it, they probably just squeak in as they are in a dog fight. If there is a deep team that knows how to win, it's Pittsburgh. So why the struggles so badly? Well they used to have Fleury and Murray as their goalies so when one struggled, the other who would start for most teams stepped in. Fleury had to go so they have Murray and unproven AHL back ups. Gee, sounds like the Oilers situation. Well Murray hasstruggled with injury and hasn't been that good. So I guess Rutherford is an incompetent GM because he didn't go out and get a rock star back up.

I don't think there's a ton we disagree on here. I'm not saying that if the Oilers had a better backup that they would be on pace for 103pts this year. My point is simply that even with bad goaltending, the Oilers could very easily have been a much better team this year with better roster management.

To use your examples, the Jets are on pace for 268 goals this year, (they had 249 last year). Even if they gave up the same 256 goals that they did last year, they would have a +12 goal differential and would likely still be a playoff team. That's not to discount the impact that their goaltending has had, it's definitely been their biggest change. But it shows how a good roster can balance out poor goaltending. Contrast that with when the Oilers get bad goaltending and are one of the worst teams in the league.

Same goes for the Penguins. They're getting .906 goaltending from Murray and yes, they're worse than last year. But they're also on pace to score 36 goals less than last year (282 vs. 246). If they were scoring at the same rate they were last year, I'm confident they would be comfortably in a playoff position.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 January 2018 15:18]

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708184 is a reply to message #708182 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 31 January 2018 15:10

I don't think there's a ton we disagree on here. I'm not saying that if the Oilers had a better backup that they would be on pace for 103pts this year. My point is simply that even with bad goaltending, the Oilers could very easily have been a much better team this year with better roster management.

To use your examples, the Jets are on pace for 268 goals this year, (they had 249 last year). Even if they gave up the same 256 goals that they did last year, they would have a +12 goal differential and would likely still be a playoff team. That's not to discount the impact that their goaltending has had, it's definitely been their biggest change. But it shows how a good roster can balance out poor goaltending. Contrast that with when the Oilers get bad goaltending and are one of the worst teams in the league.

Same goes for the Penguins. They're getting .906 goaltending from Murray and yes, they're worse than last year. But they're also on pace to score 36 goals less than last year (282 vs. 246). If they were scoring at the same rate they were last year, I'm confident they would be comfortably in a playoff position.

Yeah, I don't think anyone has said Talbot has been stellar. But there's other things to consider too.

It's worth noting that if our attack was better, maybe we would have less time in our zone and less shots against, and less high-danger chances against (on which I think I saw recently that the Oilers were last in the league). We'd almost certainly draw more penalties - another area where the Oilers rank close to the bottom of the barrel - which, while it just means our mediocre powerplay spends more time on the ice, those are minutes that the other team isn't attacking with.

The total suck-hole that is the Oilers season isn't attributable to a single position. Cam Talbot maybe bears more responsibility than other players, but it's not like you can say it's 50% goaltending...and even if it was, the glaring errors by coach and manager have contributed significantly to the goaltending's failure too.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708159 is a reply to message #708148 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Wed, 31 January 2018 00:14

Okay, what if they did make the playoffs?

What if it was a result of an astute Chia trade?

Would you take everything bad you said about management back?

If, and that is a big if, PC makes an astute trade and that is a big reason the Oilers make the playoffs I will gladly change my opinion of him.
Given I dont think that any trade will get us that far up the standings this year I will even say if he has a great summer and the Oilers are a true playoff team next year I will back down.

Without that I don't see any reason to change my opinion. Even if by some stroke of magic they make the playoffs this year it doesn't erase bad trades. What's done is done and as it stands today the team is worse off for it.

I would even likely argue that the team became successful in spite of his stupid asset management.

TM on the other hand still has a chance for redemption, unless of course he has lost the room as is rumored. If the tactics change and the special teams improve then that is an easy opinion for me to back down on.
If he stars showing some resemblance of in game strategy like line matching, deploying the right players in the right situations or not sitting on one goal leads in the third I will think he has a chance to coach the team properly into a contending unit.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708156 is a reply to message #708107 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

I bold man once said something like failure is a springboard to success. I can't think of a better springboard than losing 5-0 at home to Buffalo! To the Moon we GO!!!!!!!!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708158 is a reply to message #708107 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

You do you Cam, the fans will do us. Thanks for the ray of sunshine Cam but we fans really do know the tea in China.

All we can ask for is less of the Buffalo effort and more of the effort of last year. From you, from everyone in the line up. Face it due, you need to be better.

..but I'm with him and hope they at least challenge for a spot.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708166 is a reply to message #708107 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/avalanche-star-nathan-mac kinnon-thursday-vs-oilers/

Looks like no MacKinnon against the Oilers tomorrow.

So what is that, automatic loss for Edmonton? How do these things work again - If you havent scored in 453 games you score against Edmonton, backup goalie you beat Edmonton (especially if it's your first career NHL start) and if your top player is out you beat Edmonton.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708190 is a reply to message #708166 ]
Wed, 31 January 2018 19:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

No Cups

In Oilers true fashion expect Yakupov to have a big game.

That being said I’m putting cash on the Oilers on the next two games.

Re: Talbot: We're going to make the playoffs [message #708309 is a reply to message #708107 ]
Thu, 01 February 2018 21:19 Go to previous message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

MJ wrote on Tue, 30 January 2018 08:25

Well that is reassuring!

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1476278-oilers-talbot-we-r e-going-to-make-the-playoffs

0.4% chance right now. http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western/Pacific/Edmonton. html

And what else was he supposed to say? We plan to be fallin for Dahlin?

Come to think of it, I'm not actually so sure how to pronounce Dahlin. I guess I need to pay more attention to sports radio or TV for hockey prospect babble.

Did they make Cam take a piss test right after those remarks?

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:GDT: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50)
Next Topic:Pregame: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #50)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca