This day on March 19
Acquired: Bobby Allen (2002) Mike York (2002)
Departed: Sean Brown (2002) Rem Murray (2002) Tom Poti (2002)

Happy Birthday To: duffin06, JPro, burkesajoker, arc131, dumpNchase, RollercoasterRider, EpicallyFaithful

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #707856]
Thu, 25 January 2018 12:37 Go to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

No Cups

Everybody says a GM gets at least two coaches before it's him getting fired. And while I think they should all go immediately, it's more likely to go like this:

Deck chair rearranging and some of Todd's buddies move out of assistant roles this season.
Anything sub .500 to start the 18-19 season and Todd is gone in the first 15 games.

Claude, who will be let go by the Habs in the summer, gets a call from his ol' buddy Peter and becomes the new Head Coach (Associate coach TBD but the ideal candidate was drafted between 1978 and 1985 by a northern Canadian franchise).

I don't know a lot about Julien but it avoids those long, boring searches for "qualified candidates" that our management group hates.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #707858 is a reply to message #707856 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 25 January 2018 12:37

Everybody says a GM gets at least two coaches before it's him getting fired. And while I think they should all go immediately, it's more likely to go like this:

Deck chair rearranging and some of Todd's buddies move out of assistant roles this season.
Anything sub .500 to start the 18-19 season and Todd is gone in the first 15 games.

Claude, who will be let go by the Habs in the summer, gets a call from his ol' buddy Peter and becomes the new Head Coach (Associate coach TBD but the ideal candidate was drafted between 1978 and 1985 by a northern Canadian franchise).

I don't know a lot about Julien but it avoids those long, boring searches for "qualified candidates" that our management group hates.

What makes you think Julien will be let go? He hasn't been with the Habs for that long. Because of the language issue, the Habs screw themselves because they will only hire French or at least very bi-lingual coaches so their options are extremely limited. Plus the team has no centers. They traded for Drouin and wanted to convert him to a center. I don't know how any team can win if you don't have any centers.

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #707859 is a reply to message #707856 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Lots of stat this year about Boston post-Julien. Their shot distance has collapsed closer to the net, and they are being rewarded. In contrast, the Canadiens shooting has gone farther out and they have been paying the price for it all year.

He's coaching something dumb, kinda like our dummy here. I'd like to go from dumb to smart with the next coach, not dumb to dumb.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #707860 is a reply to message #707859 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

oh yeah i'm not a fan of the idea. Just think it would be the typical move for this organization.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #707862 is a reply to message #707860 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 25 January 2018 13:36

oh yeah i'm not a fan of the idea. Just think it would be the typical move for this organization.

Yeah I can totally see it happening too. He even has the Lowe connection from when he coached our AHL team and Lowe was GM.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #707861 is a reply to message #707859 ]
Thu, 25 January 2018 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

I would still prefer to see Dave Tippett if we were changing HC for the 1000th time.

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #722641 is a reply to message #707856 ]
Mon, 19 November 2018 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

Thought it an appropriate time to revive this thread....

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #722649 is a reply to message #722641 ]
Mon, 19 November 2018 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I was wrong about Julien. And the Canadiens are 11-6-5, apparently because he adjusted his coaching style to fit his team's strengths. Novel idea. There's still a hope in my heart that Quenneville could be Todd's replacement but with our owner and management you can't dismiss Mark Messier as a possibility.

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #722707 is a reply to message #722649 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigEfromGP  is currently offline bigEfromGP

1 Cup

Yes Quenville's been in my thoughts too lately.

Who else is available that would be worth discussing?

Visual Win > Moral Win > Strong Effort with signs of improvement > Actual Win

December 15th, 2014: REBUILD #4 OFFICIALLY BEGINS!

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #722713 is a reply to message #722707 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

1 Cup

He has his faults according to Rangers fans, but I like Vigneault. Seems to get more out of players in his deployment.

How could one doubt the braintrust of 6 Cups Kevin Lowe, MacT's E-MBA from Queens, Paul Coffey's skills coach resume, and drunk Gretzky?

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #722733 is a reply to message #722707 ]
Tue, 20 November 2018 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

bigEfromGP wrote on Tue, 20 November 2018 07:15

Yes Quenville's been in my thoughts too lately.

Who else is available that would be worth discussing?

Ken Hitchcock icon_eek

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: New Oilers Coach: Claude Julien [message #722950 is a reply to message #722649 ]
Wed, 21 November 2018 11:37 Go to previous message
Daftmonk  is currently offline Daftmonk

No Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Mon, 19 November 2018 12:25

I was wrong about Julien. And the Canadiens are 11-6-5, apparently because he adjusted his coaching style to fit his team's strengths. Novel idea. There's still a hope in my heart that Quenneville could be Todd's replacement but with our owner and management you can't dismiss Mark Messier as a possibility.

I actually had the pleasure of watching the Habs/Capitals game when I was in montreal and couple things stood out to me:

1) Despite how bad the GM is there, having a good coach can make a difference. He's brought the best out of guys like Domi, Drouin, and Tatar while putting together lines that make sense.

2) Petry would be our #1D right now. such a smooth skater and great QB on the PP, how I miss him...

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." — Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

Previous Topic:TreenasOil..still a thing??
Next Topic:The Good Place
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca