F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Maroon's next contractPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Maroon's next contract [message #699185]
Fri, 22 September 2017 09:38 Go to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

According to TSN, talks have started on an extension.

http://www.tsn.ca/oilers-maroon-open-contract-talks-1.863725

I'm hoping this is a case where the player and agent understand the great fit in Edmonton and doesn't swing for the fence on a contract that would run him out of town. Do you think a $3MM x 3 years deal would be fair?

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699186 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 09:38

According to TSN, talks have started on an extension.

http://www.tsn.ca/oilers-maroon-open-contract-talks-1.863725

I'm hoping this is a case where the player and agent understand the great fit in Edmonton and doesn't swing for the fence on a contract that would run him out of town. Do you think a $3MM x 3 years deal would be fair?

He really should take something similar to Sheary with the Pens, which is that 3M AAV mark. Decent money after a career mostly consisting of struggles. Gets to play with the best player in the league, and he has a shot to win it all. Hopefully that is enticing to him.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699188 is a reply to message #699186 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I think a good comparable contract is the Eaves contract. He was a UFA coming off a 32 goal, 51 pt season and he signed for 3 yrs at 3.15 mill. If the Oilers have to give Maroon and extra year with some kind of no move, so be it. So I believe that a contract has to be in that range for Maroon otherwise you have to let him go.

I am a big Maroon fan, he'd be a big loss because I think he's a key guy in the room. This isn't intended to be a shot because I think he's a good player but he's not scoring 27 goals on any other team playing with any other player. I don't even think he scores close to 27 if he was on another line with the Oilers. Its not easy to play with an elite talent like McDavid. It takes knowing the game, good hockey sense and skill but if he decides to go for the money which I think he could easily get way more from another team, he won't have anywhere near the success. I believe Maroon knows that and wants to be an Oiler. So in his case, it will literally come down to how important is winning, role, who he plays with and being in a place he wants to be. If he has another 25+ season which I think is very achievable, given his size, the type of player he is, how good he is supposed to be in the room, I could easily see some mid range or lower end team offering him 4+, maybe more. In all seriousness, what team can't use a Pat Maroon?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 September 2017 10:04]

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699189 is a reply to message #699188 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I would go as much as 4 years at max $3.5 per year. He can have a no move the 1st 2 years, but not the last 2 years.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699190 is a reply to message #699189 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne is currently online PlusOne

1 Cup

Jakey wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 10:27

I would go as much as 4 years at max $3.5 per year. He can have a no move the 1st 2 years, but not the last 2 years.

Given Chia's recent history I think a no trade clause is a given,

As far as your estimate I think 3-3.5 is about right. Everything about Maroon off the ice has shown he loves the game, loves playing here, etc. The only thing would be his kid. At one point I think I read he was hoping to have him in Edmonton full time. I dont know if that has happened but if his personal life is in a good place I hope he takes a team friendly deal to stay in what he hopefully sees in an ideal spot for him

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699192 is a reply to message #699190 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 10:31

As far as your estimate I think 3-3.5 is about right. Everything about Maroon off the ice has shown he loves the game, loves playing here, etc. The only thing would be his kid. At one point I think I read he was hoping to have him in Edmonton full time. I dont know if that has happened but if his personal life is in a good place I hope he takes a team friendly deal to stay in what he hopefully sees in an ideal spot for him

If giving Maroon a no trade gives Maroon the security he would want which allows the team to keep that number in the 3's wouldn't you give it to him? I know it limits you a bit but I would. Cap hit is huge.

Re: Maroon's next contractN [message #699196 is a reply to message #699192 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChasinStanley  is currently offline ChasinStanley

1 Cup

No to the no move clause, guys like him tend to fall off the map as fast as they found some magic chemistry with a star. Complimentary players should not get NMC/NTCs because as soon as the stop complimenting they will need to be moved unless they get 3rd line $'s. If Maroon gets injured or struggles at all someone else will fill that spot and has as much a chance of finding chemistry with McD.

Renaissance 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699200 is a reply to message #699196 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

ChasinStanley wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 12:00

No to the no move clause, guys like him tend to fall off the map as fast as they found some magic chemistry with a star. Complimentary players should not get NMC/NTCs because as soon as the stop complimenting they will need to be moved unless they get 3rd line $'s. If Maroon gets injured or struggles at all someone else will fill that spot and has as much a chance of finding chemistry with McD.

I'm assuming this will be a 4X4 contract with a partial NMC until Chiarelli proves me wrong. Frankly, I'd Blair McDOnald him the second an opportunity came about.

Peter Chiarelli, General Disappointment.

Drink wine, fall faster, and fly. Fly, baby, fly.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699202 is a reply to message #699192 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 11:11

If giving Maroon a no trade gives Maroon the security he would want which allows the team to keep that number in the 3's wouldn't you give it to him? I know it limits you a bit but I would. Cap hit is huge.

Absolutely not. Someone mentioned a no trade for 2 years then no stipulation for the last 2. That is as far as I would go.
I love what Maroon brings but he is prime candidate to have production drop. It might be this year if last year was lightning in a bottle, but if not the odds of him playing at a top 6 level for 4 years is very slim.
- he is 29, 30 at the end of this year. Meaning he would be 34 by the time the contract ends.
- he is a big guy that plays a physical game, very few of that type of player play well after 30.
- the only other time he scored more than 20 goals he was in the AHL

This to me is the PRIME example of guy who doesnt get a no trade. He fills a role and last year filled it well. The big stars need to get paid and get no trade clauses. The players outside of the elite need to be replaceable whether it is because of declining contribution or cap casualties.

Handing out no trade clauses to players who may or may not be essential will be the real cause of cap problems down the road.
I voiced my displeasure with the handling of Drai's deal but I accept it for a guy who I believe will be elite for as long as the deal.
the team needs the ability to move on from players like Maroon, Russell, Fayne, Letestu, Sekera, Lucic etc. if the cap hit outwieghs the contribution, or if they are surpassed by cheaper options.

A few of those they are already handcuffed to, adding to the list would be catastrophic and likely cause us to need to say good bye to better more useful players without NTC's

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Seasons without a terrible signing or trade counter= 1 (July 1, 2018 to present)

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699203 is a reply to message #699202 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 12:44

Absolutely not. Someone mentioned a no trade for 2 years then no stipulation for the last 2. That is as far as I would go.
I love what Maroon brings but he is prime candidate to have production drop. It might be this year if last year was lightning in a bottle, but if not the odds of him playing at a top 6 level for 4 years is very slim.
- he is 29, 30 at the end of this year. Meaning he would be 34 by the time the contract ends.
- he is a big guy that plays a physical game, very few of that type of player play well after 30.

This to me is the PRIME example of guy who doesnt get a no trade. He fills a role and last year filled it well. The big stars need to get paid and get no trade clauses. The players outside of the elite need to be replaceable whether it is because of declining contribution or cap casualties.

Handing out no trade clauses to players who may or may not be essential will be the real cause of cap problems down the road.
I voiced my displeasure with the handling of Drai's deal but I accept it for a guy who I believe will be elite for as long as the deal.
the team needs the ability to move on from players like Maroon, Russell, Fayne, Letestu, Sekera, Lucic etc. if the cap hit outwieghs the contribution, or if they are surpassed by cheaper options.

A few of those they are already handcuffed to, adding to the list would be catastrophic and likely cause us to need to say good bye to better more useful players without NTC's

What he did in the minors has nothing to do with what he is currently doing in the NHL. Maroon had 27 goals last year. I am going to guess that as long as he stays healthy, he will score well over 20 this year on McDavid's wing. So he will have back to back over 20 goal season. So he will get paid based on that, not what he did years ago. So if you want a player to give up some money, you have to give him something in return. I don't know what you do for a living but that's how a negotiation goes. Each side gives up something. So if you expect Maroon to give up money, term and not get some sort of no trade, you are dreaming because he knows he will get it from another team.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699215 is a reply to message #699203 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 13:25

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 12:44

What he did in the minors has nothing to do with what he is currently doing in the NHL. Maroon had 27 goals last year. I am going to guess that as long as he stays healthy, he will score well over 20 this year on McDavid's wing. So he will have back to back over 20 goal season. So he will get paid based on that, not what he did years ago. So if you want a player to give up some money, you have to give him something in return. I don't know what you do for a living but that's how a negotiation goes. Each side gives up something. So if you expect Maroon to give up money, term and not get some sort of no trade, you are dreaming because he knows he will get it from another team.

This cant be a serious reply????
You cant honestly misunderstand why I mentioned his AHL scoring, right?

If so I will try to break it down in a more simple fashion;
- In his (NHL, dont worry, I wont confuse with you a tongue in cheek AHL mention)career Patrick has played 301 Games, scoring 61G 74A for 135 Points
- this translates to 204 ANA games, 97 EDM games
- 26 Goals in ANA , 35 in EDM
- 53 A ANA, 21 A in EDM
- 79 P ANA 56 EDM

I wont post all the math on GPG, PPG, etc as I would hate to get too deep into stats for you but it doesnt take a statistical genius to see that his output at 29 years old is all of a sudden WAY above his career averages.

I love Maroon. He is the kind of guy that young players rally around. The kind of guy that fans, management, teammates, etc ALL love.
That said, if you think that he has earned a full NMC clause in his 30 YR old season after ONE year of good stats (not elite, not beginning his prime, not a line driver, not anything warrenting a "special" contract") then all I can say is thank god you arent running this team.

I am still concerned that Chia's cap management is one of the worst of his GM skills but even he has more foresight than you.

Giving NMC clauses to role players who have a career year at 29, riding shotgun with one of the two top players in the game is cap suicide.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

I'mRe: Maroon's next contract [message #699191 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

I'm not sure the Oilers will be able to get Maroon done for around $3M. Sheary is probably the best comparable in terms of situation, but Pittsburgh was buying RFA years. I know after the Drai deal, it seems like RFA/UFA years don't matter, but I think in reality they do, so Maroon will cost more than Sheary.

Eaves is also a good comparable, but I think games played work against him. He played 79 last year, but hadn't played more than 60 since 2011. Plus Maroon is 29, Eaves is 33.

There are a bunch of other recent signings that lead me to believe that Maroon could definitely get more than Eaves did:

- Justin Williams - $4.5M
- Patrik Berglund - $3.85M
- Cal Clutterbuck - $3.5M (man that's a terrible contract for a 4th liner)
- Alex Killorn - $4.45M
- Mathieu Perreault - $4.125M
- David Perron - $3.75M
- Troy Brouwer - $4.5M (hahaha, suck it Flames)
- Mikkel Boedker - $4M
- Justin Abdelkader - $4.25M

If he signs a 3 or 4 year deal, this could really be Maroon's last big payday. I wouldn't begrudge him trying to maximize the dollar value on this deal. I think he signs for $4M somewhere.

Wins in a row the Oilers need to get to playoff pace: infinity
games!!

Re: I'mRe: Maroon's next contract [message #699199 is a reply to message #699191 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 10:38

I'm not sure the Oilers will be able to get Maroon done for around $3M. Sheary is probably the best comparable in terms of situation, but Pittsburgh was buying RFA years. I know after the Drai deal, it seems like RFA/UFA years don't matter, but I think in reality they do, so Maroon will cost more than Sheary.

Eaves is also a good comparable, but I think games played work against him. He played 79 last year, but hadn't played more than 60 since 2011. Plus Maroon is 29, Eaves is 33.

There are a bunch of other recent signings that lead me to believe that Maroon could definitely get more than Eaves did:

- Justin Williams - $4.5M
- Patrik Berglund - $3.85M
- Cal Clutterbuck - $3.5M (man that's a terrible contract for a 4th liner)
- Alex Killorn - $4.45M
- Mathieu Perreault - $4.125M
- David Perron - $3.75M
- Troy Brouwer - $4.5M (hahaha, suck it Flames)
- Mikkel Boedker - $4M
- Justin Abdelkader - $4.25M

If he signs a 3 or 4 year deal, this could really be Maroon's last big payday. I wouldn't begrudge him trying to maximize the dollar value on this deal. I think he signs for $4M somewhere.

Oilers are definitely gonna have to hope for a discount. You're right IMO, he will be able to get more from someone else if he goes UFA. In all likelihood, he fails to live up to the deal, but oh well, he got his money. Hope would be he wants to stick around, and he takes a Russell discount. Over 3-3.5 though, I would guess Chia will figure he can find someone else to reap the benefits of playing with McDavid.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699212 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

The irony is he is exactly the player they wanted Milan Lucic to be. So in the Oilers mind he's probably with 6x7.

I'd be happy with 3x3 or 4 years. He's been a great fit and compliments McDavid very well. I'm hoping too he realizes how great a situation this is for him and that matters. But maybe he wants to be closer to Little Rig too.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699220 is a reply to message #699212 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 22 September 2017 16:51

The irony is he is exactly the player they wanted Milan Lucic to be. So in the Oilers mind he's probably with 6x7.

I'd be happy with 3x3 or 4 years. He's been a great fit and compliments McDavid very well. I'm hoping too he realizes how great a situation this is for him and that matters. But maybe he wants to be closer to Little Rig too.

I do hope Chia has a feel of the kind of player to compliment McDavid from Maroon once Maroon does eventually move on. The big body with the soft hands around the net. Lucic's hands are really not soft at all around the net. He just hacks at everything. Lucic is more of a passer than a scorer.

Gonna need to find some more Maroon's over the next 9+ years :)

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699213 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Fri, 22 September 2017 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

If I'm PC, I'm offering 2 years @ 5MM or 4 years @ 3MM, none of which come with a NMC or a NTC. If he wants to maximize his money before he retires, he can take the 2 @ 5MM and sign elsewhere at an inflated price when it expires. If he wants to maximize his chance of winning a cup, he can take 4 @ 3MM make sure he performs well enough to stay off the trade block during the last 2 years.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699247 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Look, if Maroon doesn't take the discount he's gone. It's really that simple.

14 max over 4 years - if he doesn't bite he's gone. What other line can you play with the greatest young talent in this game today, and with our arena and how things are looking for this team, he'd be foolish to balk.

Sign or leave, it's just business.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #699253 is a reply to message #699247 ]
Mon, 25 September 2017 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Yeah, I'm with you. Ideal would be $3M/4 years. If he'd sign $3.5/4 years I'd be OK with that. Not sure that we can go with a Russell though. Problem is, the Russell contract makes it harder to justify Maroon taking less than $4M/year ... I tell you, the more I think about it, the less I like the Russell contract. And NOT because I hate Russell, just because of how it handcuffs the team in multiple ways (blocking young D like Nurse/Benning from moving up the depth & pay chart; setting the precedent for complementary players maxing out their contracts).

Back to the point at hand ... yes, $3.5 per for 4 years for Maroon would be OK; I might even accept $3.75 per for 3 years - OilersNation was suggesting that the Chris Kunitz model in Pittsburgh would be a good comparable.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700328 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Wed, 18 October 2017 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

4 Cups

looking like $1M...

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700333 is a reply to message #700328 ]
Wed, 18 October 2017 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

icon_wink
I was just thinking the same thing. Maroon is certainly not playing for a new contract, unless he's trying to ensure it's a cap-friendly one

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700358 is a reply to message #700333 ]
Wed, 18 October 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mad90  is currently offline mad90

No Cups

I wouldn't even bother signing him at this point if he continues this level of play...

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700453 is a reply to message #700358 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 16:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

mad90 wrote on Wed, 18 October 2017 10:40

I wouldn't even bother signing him at this point if he continues this level of play...

If he continues this level of play, I would still sign him, just for dirt cheap.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700479 is a reply to message #700453 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 October 2017 15:06

mad90 wrote on Wed, 18 October 2017 10:40

If he continues this level of play, I would still sign him, just for dirt cheap.

It’s in his best interest to turn it up. Chia looks like a genius right now not signing him in the summer.

Reminds me of Penner 2.0, lots of potential and some nights is your best winger, but can’t put it together consistently to be steady 1st liner (which I’m cool with as long as he’s not paid like one and we have someone who can slot in on 1st some nights).

MacT/Lowe probably would have thrown 5 million at him by now.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700482 is a reply to message #699185 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

2 Cups

Maroon is literally the only winger who has shown chemistry with McDavid the last couple years... and thank goodness because he is doing what Lucic was supposed to.

Tonight he is that body that McDavid banks the pick off of again. Let's not turn on him after a few super games. He is worth what we are paying and likely will still be a good option for what he asks next contract.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700505 is a reply to message #700482 ]
Thu, 19 October 2017 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 19 October 2017 20:51

Maroon is literally the only winger who has shown chemistry with McDavid the last couple years... and thank goodness because he is doing what Lucic was supposed to.

Tonight he is that body that McDavid banks the pick off of again. Let's not turn on him after a few super games. He is worth what we are paying and likely will still be a good option for what he asks next contract.

I think it's funny that people can excuse the play of the whole team based on small sample size, but for a specific player, they're basing his next contract on it.

Loooooots of time left in the year for Maroon to prove himself.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #700676 is a reply to message #700505 ]
Mon, 23 October 2017 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 19 October 2017 23:03

I think it's funny that people can excuse the play of the whole team based on small sample size, but for a specific player, they're basing his next contract on it.

Loooooots of time left in the year for Maroon to prove himself.

Excellent point, in the Philly game he basically willed himself to score that goal fighting of two checkers. More games like that and he's in the conversation for a decent raise, however that being said, lots of time in the season to show if Maroon is the player he was last year,

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701725 is a reply to message #700676 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Maroon is a 2nd/3rd line guy who happens to get points with McDavid. Anyone on this forum could get goals with McDavid setting them up. He's a McSorely with waaay less grit so hopefully he gets a contract accordingly because he is replaceable and not integral.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701726 is a reply to message #701725 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 10:38

Maroon is a 2nd/3rd line guy who happens to get points with McDavid. Anyone on this forum could get goals with McDavid setting them up. He's a McSorely with waaay less grit so hopefully he gets a contract accordingly because he is replaceable and not integral.

While I agree with this in principle the idea that anyone can score with McDavid isn't as easy as it sounds. This has been proven by the number of people that were tried on his RW and dont produce much. Also a couple of LW'ers, including Lucic, who stumbled on that side.

The good news is that even if the Oilers want to it will be next to impossible to overpay him based on the cap hell that PC has put us in as of next year.

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701727 is a reply to message #701726 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 10:12

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 10:38

While I agree with this in principle the idea that anyone can score with McDavid isn't as easy as it sounds. This has been proven by the number of people that were tried on his RW and dont produce much. Also a couple of LW'ers, including Lucic, who stumbled on that side.

The good news is that even if the Oilers want to it will be next to impossible to overpay him based on the cap hell that PC has put us in as of next year.

Yeah, we've seen plenty of players struggle with McDavid ranging from elite guys to average. It's not that easy. You need to be able to read off him, and contribute something that will compliment McDavid. Maroon is a big body with silky hands around the net. Just being big is not enough, you need to have a sense for the puck to pick it up quickly in traffic and hands to pot it in the net. Lucic is big, but he's terrible at finding loose pucks around his feet and he doesn't do much more than take a swing at it when he does see it. Guys that are high skill but always want to carry the puck to get into games are not great compliments to McDavid either, we've seen some of those guys neutralise McDavid resulting in very ordinary lines.

Chemistry can be hard to find, and Maroon has it, we should value that as long as we can. If he will sign for ~3-3.5M for a few more years, go for it.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701736 is a reply to message #701727 ]
Sun, 05 November 2017 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Given how PC works he'll open the negotiation at 4.5 based on what he gave Russell and it will include a NMC and be 5 years or something obscene.

I used to think PC was a pretty deft GM now I think he's just daft.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701877 is a reply to message #701736 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

jerekybeef wrote on Sun, 05 November 2017 14:34

Given how PC works he'll open the negotiation at 4.5 based on what he gave Russell and it will include a NMC and be 5 years or something obscene.

I'm not ready to pick up the torch and the pitchfork just yet, but it gets harder to argue with the PC criticism.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701878 is a reply to message #701736 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

2 Cups

Maroon tried to pick up my lady at the bar last night while I was in the washroom (1.5th date).

When I got back to my table, he told me a I was a very good looking man (weird), then Draisaitl tried to be sort of rude and said I looked like Lundqvist, and I said: cool do you think he's a good looking man? He said: yeah don't know, I guess. I didn't really know what to say to that so I said: well you should know, you've probably been up closer to him than I have. Then everybody laughed, then they left.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701881 is a reply to message #701878 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:08

Maroon tried to pick up my lady at the bar last night while I was in the washroom (1.5th date).

When I got back to my table, he told me a I was a very good looking man (weird), then Draisaitl tried to be sort of rude and said I looked like Lundqvist, and I said: cool do you think he's a good looking man? He said: yeah don't know, I guess. I didn't really know what to say to that so I said: well you should know, you've probably been up closer to him than I have. Then everybody laughed, then they left.

Well, I think Lundqvist is supposed to be a GQ sort, so maybe Draisaitl was trying to be complimentary!

That's a weird interaction, but honestly, it's a better story than most Oilers-out-on-the-town stories I've heard over the years. Hockey players aren't always classy.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701891 is a reply to message #701881 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:19

Well, I think Lundqvist is supposed to be a GQ sort, so maybe Draisaitl was trying to be complimentary!

That's a weird interaction, but honestly, it's a better story than most Oilers-out-on-the-town stories I've heard over the years. Hockey players aren't always classy.

The tone was definitely not friendly from Draisaitl. Maroon was pretty nice. Maroon has very large hands.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701897 is a reply to message #701891 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:37

The tone was definitely not friendly from Draisaitl. Maroon was pretty nice. Maroon has very large hands.

It's an interesting thing how many athletes have giant mitts. I met Glenn Anderson once when my buddy was running a sports bar. He handed us his Rangers Stanley Cup ring to look at. The thing was massive. I don't know if I could have worn it on my thumb.

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701912 is a reply to message #701891 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WhoreableGuy  is currently offline WhoreableGuy

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 13:37

I have very selective reading.

"Bah Gawd! Would somebody stop the damn draft!"

- Jim Ross calling the NHL Draft Lotto 2015 as the Oilers win

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701900 is a reply to message #701878 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Magnum wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 14:08

This story made me laugh but I am left to wonder; how do you get to a 1.5th date?

#CarpeDiem4Life
#GlassHalfFull

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701903 is a reply to message #701900 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 14:12

This story made me laugh but I am left to wonder; how do you get to a 1.5th date?

The first date didn't involve much of the usual first-date activities.

[Updated on: Mon, 06 November 2017 14:58]

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #701904 is a reply to message #701903 ]
Mon, 06 November 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 14:53

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 06 November 2017 14:12

The first date didn't involve much of the usual first-date activities.

Met while working off those community service hours then?

icon_biggrin

Re: Maroon's next contract [message #702110 is a reply to message #701904 ]
Wed, 08 November 2017 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ryanc182  is currently offline ryanc182

No Cups

Anyone else happen to see the Oilers twitter today talking about Pat Maroon's engagement?!

I've also heard many a story like Magnums, which makes this announcement even more funny/sad.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Oilers looking to move on from Jokinen. Already.
Next Topic:Puljujarvi for Kreider?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2018.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca