This day on August 11
Acquired: Petr Sykora (2006)
Departed: Daniel Lacroix (1999) Dean Arsene (2010)

Happy Birthday To: Phenom89, juju+sno, oilers99dan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » A couple of interesting notes
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 A couple of interesting notes [message #674627]
Mon, 04 July 2016 13:25 Go to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

3 Cups

First off please take this with a grain of salt. I am not professing to have direct inside info.

I had a chance over the long weekend to spend some time with an old friend of mine who has worked with the Oilers for a while. He is very careful to not disclose any conversation he has had that may be seen as details on upcoming trades/offers/etc but he when we do spend time together he often has some interesting nuggets of info.
- he expects Yak to be back to start the year at least. He hears that Chia and T-Mac would rather showcase him on a top line with Lucic and McDavid than give up on him for terrible trade offers. The best they have had so far is mid picks/bad prospects or as a throw in for other deals.
- Further to that he thinks there is a higher chance that Yak is in EDM with a new agent than being traded
- The brass expects Larsson to step in 100% as a shut down D man right off the bat and expect him to develop as a PP guy but are not counting on it.
- The belief is that his ability to keep the puck out of the net and shots to the outside will result in more efficient breakouts. This will maybe not see him get a lot of points but will be a driving force in getting the puck out of our end and thus into the hands of the skill guys up front.
- from what he has seen and been told locker room issues with Hall were over blown. Always treated staff around the room with respect. The day after the trade Hall called one of the lower staff to thank them for everything. Also sent a group email to a number of people including my buddy saying good bye and left his personal cell number for them to keep in touch.
- there was some that thought if McDavid was given the C over Hall he would not have been too happy. As was seen with his comments after Hall took the trade to heart. It wasn't ego necessarily that would drive his not wearing the C as a slight but just that he always saw himself as responsible for the start of the rebuild, wanted to see it through and wanted to be the leader.
- My friend wasnt talking about coaches and front office but many of the low level staff are concerned about Hall's body over time both given previous history and style of play. Some are speculating this is why Hall was made available.
- Lowe and Mclellan are rarely seen speaking to each other unless there is a camera around or it is some kind of event.
- Many expect puljujarvi to make the team but he will have to earn it. Especially if Yak is still around most figure he will be sent to the AHL as a last cut and called up later.

I think that is all I can remember. We were sitting around the fire into the wee hours and had a few drinks so if something else comes to mind I will add.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674628 is a reply to message #674627 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 13:25

- he expects Yak to be back to start the year at least. He hears that Chia and T-Mac would rather showcase him on a top line with Lucic and McDavid than give up on him for terrible trade offers

Funny how they don't want to trade Yak for a horrible deal, but have no problem doing that with Hall.

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674629 is a reply to message #674627 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

Interesting tidbits.

I'm hoping Yak gets a solid chance and instead of just raising his value, the Oilers go "hey, wait we have a player here."

And the Hall behind the scenes sound exactly as I'd expect, overblown by fans and media to help make sense of why he was moved.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674632 is a reply to message #674629 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 13:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 13:37

Interesting tidbits.

I'm hoping Yak gets a solid chance and instead of just raising his value, the Oilers go "hey, wait we have a player here."

And the Hall behind the scenes sound exactly as I'd expect, overblown by fans and media to help make sense of why he was moved.

Exactly. When the face of the franchise is praising his character on the way out the door, you know that it's not that. He may very well have had issues with Nick Schultz and Eric Belanger, but that's not the reasons you trade Taylor Hall.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674634 is a reply to message #674629 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 12:37

Interesting tidbits.

Exactly, rumours like that rank up there with the classic myth you hear where <fill in the blank> was traded because he was doing the goalies wife/girlfriend.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674633 is a reply to message #674627 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DUFFMAN  is currently offline DUFFMAN

No Cups

He hears that Chia and T-Mac would rather showcase him on a top line with Lucic and McDavid than give up on him for terrible trade offers.

You could create a bit of an asset mill by playing a warm body with 27/97, waiting for warm body's stats to inflate and then trading him at the deadline.

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674635 is a reply to message #674627 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

- Lowe and Mclellan are rarely seen speaking to each other unless there is a camera around or it is some kind of event.

Should the Vice Chair of OEG really be spending that much time talking to the coach?

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674637 is a reply to message #674635 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

George wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 13:28

Should the Vice Chair of OEG really be spending that much time talking to the coach?

True

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674638 is a reply to message #674637 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

If Yak got a new agent, I think that would go a looooooooong way in helping his career. I personally don't think Larionov has done anything good for Yak.

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674655 is a reply to message #674638 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 14:10

If Yak got a new agent, I think that would go a looooooooong way in helping his career. I personally don't think Larionov has done anything good for Yak.

That might help as well, but basically he just has to play better, his game hasn't progressed at all, he needs to change what he does to play effectively in the NHL, his only value can't be as a triggerman when he plays with McD. It's not just the Oilers, his own national team didn't want him. His value is rock bottom, hopefully he plays better in October and he either stays, or the Oilers get an asset of value back, trading him right now would be like putting him on waivers.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674663 is a reply to message #674655 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 16:46

That might help as well, but basically he just has to play better, his game hasn't progressed at all, he needs to change what he does to play effectively in the NHL, his only value can't be as a triggerman when he plays with McD. It's not just the Oilers, his own national team didn't want him. His value is rock bottom, hopefully he plays better in October and he either stays, or the Oilers get an asset of value back, trading him right now would be like putting him on waivers.

I think Yak (and fans) needs to forget about where he was drafted and just focus on playing hockey. He's playing for a contract this season too, so he should be motivated.

I think a pump and dump would be a good move. Injuries will happen, teams will be looking for scoring. If Yak has 10-15 goals playing next to McDavid before Xmas, he should boost his value nicely.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674670 is a reply to message #674663 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

jds308 wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 17:14

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 16:46

I think Yak (and fans) needs to forget about where he was drafted and just focus on playing hockey. He's playing for a contract this season too, so he should be motivated.

I think a pump and dump would be a good move. Injuries will happen, teams will be looking for scoring. If Yak has 10-15 goals playing next to McDavid before Xmas, he should boost his value nicely.

I agree, the fans have to forget where he was drafted, but I think more importantly Yak has to forget where he was drafted, He's not going to be the Russian version of Brett Hull, or his countryman Ovechkin, he has to change his game to suit what is required to play in the league, when he learns that he'll progress. The NHL is littered with high scoring junior players that didn't translate it to to the NHL, some never made it, and some instead identified what changes were required, embraced it, and then went on to long NHL careers. Even S. Yzerman had to change his game to succeed.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674672 is a reply to message #674670 ]
Mon, 04 July 2016 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pseudoreality  is currently offline Pseudoreality

No Cups

I find it funny that people say you need to forget where Yak was drafted. If he was drafted in the 3rd round or something like that he'd probably be out of the league by now. He keeps getting chances because he was a former 1st overall.

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674681 is a reply to message #674672 ]
Tue, 05 July 2016 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Pseudoreality wrote on Mon, 04 July 2016 18:44

I find it funny that people say you need to forget where Yak was drafted. If he was drafted in the 3rd round or something like that he'd probably be out of the league by now. He keeps getting chances because he was a former 1st overall.

That's why every junior player (and their agent) wants that 1st round designation, if a team uses a 1st on you they will do everything humanly possible, and then some, to make sure you make it in the NHL, the jobs and future careers of a lot of people are on the line, GM, scouting staff, president (OK .. maybe not president.. in the Oilers case!).
As a 1st rounder, you'll even get other teams remembering your draft pedigree, and trade for you because they think they are the ones that can find the gold in the mine. The last chances keep coming.

You are likely correct though, if Yak was a 3rd or less pick, he'd probably be back flying Areoflot hop skipping through the KHL, he wouldn't want to be in the AHL.

Being a high 2nd rounder even lets you get one last hail Mary chance like the Oilers just gave Tyler Pitlick.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: A couple of interesting notes [message #674685 is a reply to message #674672 ]
Tue, 05 July 2016 05:11 Go to previous message
George  is currently offline George

No Cups

To be fair, if Yakupov had been drafted in the 3rd round the Oilers may have actually developed him properly.

Nurse, Draisaitl and Yakupov all could have benefited with more AHL time instead of being force-fed NHL minutes. But now we're here: Yakupov is close to being a bust and Draisaitl has to be protected for the expansion draft.

Previous Topic:The Larsson Alternative
Next Topic:Lucic, Demers and surprise big fish?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca