This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4)Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821883 is a reply to message #821881 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Leia wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 00:16

Need to watch the game in a bit, was quite violently ill over night, no way I could get up and watch the match. Seen the highlights, but I was asking for some devine inspiration at the end of the 1st period highlights.

If anything we shown we can score 5v5 in the series and in OT..

Hope this game takes away some of the sick feeling :)

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821877 is a reply to message #821802 ]
Sun, 23 April 2023 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim is currently online Skookum Jim

3 Cups

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-T3XPZtBy9is/XKGEFzA3V3I/AAAAAAABaDU/GpJvNisLWz8-0OAXAUQ--rU-BlAUEaObQCLcBGAs/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/mact.jpg

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821882 is a reply to message #821802 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

https://i.imgflip.com/7j99pn.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821884 is a reply to message #821802 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

also.. best reffed game so far this series..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821885 is a reply to message #821884 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 00:40

2 each. 1 game management one (Hyman slash that invited a laughable dive) after we went 2/2, which was expected. Then Kempe forced their hand to call a 3rd one on the Kings.

I'll take it if that's how they will call them. Obviously would like more PP's and McDavid muggings to be called, but I get the fear the refs have. As long as they don't call a bucket of bull on us and throw it all out of balance then.

Who could have predicted Dumb and Dumber end up staying out of the game the most as refs? Maybe there was a call down from the league that the refing in the series was getting too shameful and being talked about too much.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2023 00:50]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821886 is a reply to message #821885 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 23 April 2023 23:48

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 00:40

2 each. 1 game management one (Hyman slash that invited a laughable dive) after we went 2/2, which was expected. Then Kempe forced their hand to call a 3rd one on the Kings.

I'll take it if that's how they will call them. Obviously would like more PP's and McDavid muggings to be called, but I get the fear the refs have. As long as they don't call a bucket of bull on us and throw it all out of balance then.

If the rest of the playoffs is reffed like tonight, I will have zero complaints. As long as the Oil and Kings get the same treatment then that’s all we can ask for.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821887 is a reply to message #821886 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

nullterm wrote on Sun, 23 April 2023 23:53

... As long as the Oil and Kings get the same treatment then that’s all we can ask for.

..that's why they need an AI Ref-Bot !:)

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821890 is a reply to message #821886 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

nullterm wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 00:53

If the rest of the playoffs is reffed like tonight, I will have zero complaints. As long as the Oil and Kings get the same treatment then that’s all we can ask for.

The Fiala penalty that the Oilers scored the 3-3 goal during is being widely criticized outside of Edmonton. I don't remember it, but most just saw a bodycheck.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821891 is a reply to message #821890 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 03:32

The Fiala penalty that the Oilers scored the 3-3 goal during is being widely criticized outside of Edmonton. I don't remember it, but most just saw a bodycheck.

On one of the angles you can see Fialas stick in between LD's legs.. could be interpreted as a can opener.. might be a weaker variety but nothing like some of the previous ghost calls Oilers were receiving.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821892 is a reply to message #821891 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Easily the worst game we've played this series. Nice to see that we (for the most part) kept our discipline up, even with the Kings players flopping all over the place. I thought the refs finally called a decent game.

Great job by our ex-Leafs. No idea how Campbell managed to make some of those saves, but I'll take it.

I have a feeling that we're going to spank them in game 5 tomorrow night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821893 is a reply to message #821891 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:23

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 03:32

On one of the angles you can see Fialas stick in between LD's legs.. could be interpreted as a can opener.. might be a weaker variety but nothing like some of the previous ghost calls Oilers were receiving.

I agree. I wouldn't have been upset if they let it go, and was actually surprised they called it. But on review, his stick does take his leg out from under him, so not a terrible call by any stretch, especially compared to what we have had go against us.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821894 is a reply to message #821893 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Good news/bad news

Good news: Bouchard is looking like a stud. Tied for 4th in playoff scoring, ahead of even McDavid.

Bad news: unsigned RFA to be Bouchard is looking like a stud. Tied for 4th in playoff scoring, ahead of even McDavid. $$$

I mean the choice is easy - I want to see him do well and continue to progress, but I honestly have no idea what his next deal is going to look like. Sure his numbers get a massive boost playing with 97 and 29, but he's creating a lot himself as well.

And how about Kulak's impression of Orr/Karlsson last night? Spin-o-ramas, toe drags, end to end rushes - don't think I've ever seen him like that.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821895 is a reply to message #821894 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Mike wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 10:55

And how about Kulak's impression of Orr/Karlsson last night? Spin-o-ramas, toe drags, end to end rushes - don't think I've ever seen him like that.

Yeah I noticed that too. He was feeling it out there.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821936 is a reply to message #821895 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 06:59

Mike wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 10:55

Yeah I noticed that too. He was feeling it out there.

Yeah I was all prepared to see him and Yamo leave this summer for cap space without much loss in the roster.. now less so.. he's played decent D and showing some good offensive instincts.. and wheels.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821897 is a reply to message #821890 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 04:32

I only saw the one replay but wasnt that the open ice collision with LD? Fiala's knee was involved, iirc.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821900 is a reply to message #821897 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 08:17

I only saw the one replay but wasnt that the open ice collision with LD? Fiala's knee was involved, iirc.

It was a can opener.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FufGZVuXwAkECF6?format=png&name=360x360

He couldn't pull his left leg forward because of the stick, and the blade of the stick also stops his right foot from being able to go back to regain balance.

Sad that it is still a shock that the refs would call it, but I guess one of them was paying attention at that moment and caught it.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821918 is a reply to message #821900 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 08:31

K.McC#24 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 08:17

It was a can opener.

He couldn't pull his left leg forward because of the stick, and the blade of the stick also stops his right foot from being able to go back to regain balance.

Sad that it is still a shock that the refs would call it, but I guess one of them was paying attention at that moment and caught it.

They also missed a blatant call about 2 mins before this on the Kings, so may have felt they owed us one and called this. Not that that's a good habit for referees, but it's the NHL soooooo...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821973 is a reply to message #821900 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 07:31

It was a can opener.

Here's two angles.. last one is a better angle.. right at the end the stick torques out his leg.

https://i.imgflip.com/7jcrqh.gif

https://i.imgflip.com/7jcr7k.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821888 is a reply to message #821802 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Still over the moon about the win, but I just can't help but point out how the SNet commentators made three errors in a minute to start the 2nd period.

First Scott Oake said that this is the fifth time the Oilers have erased a 3 goal deficit in the playoffs (this may or may not be true) and "the last time was in 1992 when they came back to beat Calgary in game 7". So just off the top of my head, I knew there were two errors here--the series he's referring to was in 1991 and it certainly was not the last time the Oilers erased a 3 goal deficit. How can anyone forget about game 3 against Dallas in 1997 when the Oilers erased a 3-0 deficit in the last 4 minutes to win in OT.

Then just after the puck was dropped, Singh said this was the first time the Oilers would not have the lead going into the third. Well, you just have to remember back to Friday night when the game was tied going into the third. In fact every game except the first was tied going into the third.

I don't blame Oake or Singh, since I know they are given this info by a research staff, but someone(s) really dropped the ball on their research.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821899 is a reply to message #821888 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

My thoughts.
Awful start, as bad as it gets. Skinner wasn't sharp. I thought the team came out flat, nothing went right but I loved the fact they didn't quit.

The good and this applies to after the first.
Leon was outstanding.
McD was good and is coming on.
Ryan, Foegele, Bjugstad continue to be very good. Foegele and Bjusgstad continue to be good and deserve a goal and unlucky not to get one. I would be giving more ice to Foegele and Bjugstad.
Bouchard was excellent.
I LOVE playoff Kulak. He was excellent.
Ekholm was good.
Ceci was pretty good.
Broberg did well in his limited time.
Kostin was fine and I don't know why he didn't play a ton.
Campbell was EXCELLENT. He saved the Oilers season.
Kane was good. He's COMING!

Hyman up until OT wasn't great. I think he got a well deserved benching after his brutal penalty in the 3rd. Massive, massive goal. Welcome to the series Zach.

Bad.
Skinner. Bad is a harsh term for him because he's been just OK most games but this game, in a game your team needs, he wasn't good. He's been outplayed every game. I think his rebound control has been bad all series. Every puck is right in the slot vs Korp is directing them to the corners. I didn't like the first goal because of the rebound. Second goal, he didn't look ready for the shot. Team needs more.
Nurse I thought was not good. Some major brain cramps. He's been good all series, except last night.
Desharnais looked like a rookie last night. Rough game.
Yamomoto has cemented in me he needs to be gone at the end of this season. I don't know what he does to deserve so much ice. Offensively nothing much happens with him. I'd be elevating Foegele and Bjugstad minutes wise over him.
McLeod I thought against was mostly invisible. He got 1 decent shot on goal. Suspect defensively. He's just too much of a perimeter player. GO TO THE NET!
Nuge has been terrible. They need him to show up. He looks like 2016 Nuge.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821907 is a reply to message #821888 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

benv wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 02:02

How can anyone forget about game 3 against Dallas in 1997 when the Oilers erased a 3-0 deficit in the last 4 minutes to win in OT.

The Dallas game is why I stuck around to finish the game. Almost broke up with my wife (then girlfriend) because she wanted to go for a bike ride before the game was over. She now never gives up on a game. Learned her a lesson that day.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821902 is a reply to message #821802 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Seeing the stat that Drai has been on the ice for 14/14 of our goals in the series.

Geez...

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821903 is a reply to message #821902 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I really struggle listening to Singh doing the play by play. He just doesn't do it for me. Plus, maybe it's just me but it sure sounds like he brings more energy to a Kings goal than Oilers. You are a Canadian broadcaster, on a Canadian network broadcasting to I assume pretty much nothing but Canadians. You are doing a game where it's a Canadian team vs an American team. In my opinion, when you are a Canadian broadcaster calling a Canadian team against an American, you should be calling the game as if you are the Canadian teams home play by by guy and bringing a little more energy for the Canadian team. If its 2 Canadian teams, then be neutral but it's not. I would expect that for the Jets and Leafs as well. When I hear Cuthbert call the Leafs, I don't hear him making a bigger deal when Tampa scores. Singh was born in Brooks Alberta and to me, he sounds like a Flames fan turned broadcaster reluctantly calling an Oilers game.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2023 09:05]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821905 is a reply to message #821903 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:02

I really struggle listening to Singh doing the play by play. He just doesn't do it for me. Plus, maybe it's just me but it sure sounds like he brings more energy to a Kings goal than Oilers. You are a Canadian broadcaster, on a Canadian network broadcasting to I assume pretty much nothing but Canadians. You are doing a game where it's a Canadian team vs an American team. In my opinion, when you are a Canadian broadcaster calling a Canadian team against an American, you should be calling the game as if you are the Canadian teams home play by by guy and bringing a little more energy for the Canadian team. If its 2 Canadian teams, then be neutral but it's not. I would expect that for the Jets and Leafs as well. When I hear Cuthbert call the Leafs, I don't hear him making a bigger deal when Tampa scores. Singh was born in Brooks Alberta and to me, he sounds like a Flames fan turned broadcaster reluctantly calling an Oilers game.

I don't hear it. He's been good for long stretches and very quick to highlight Kings players than Oilers players, but all in all I don't hear the bias... not like Jim Hughson bias which was unbearable.

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821906 is a reply to message #821905 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rocksteady wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:15

I don't hear it. He's been good for long stretches and very quick to highlight Kings players than Oilers players, but all in all I don't hear the bias... not like Jim Hughson bias which was unbearable.

Yeah, he's not a biased PBP guy he's just an awful PBP quy. I'm surprised an aspiring broadcaster hasn't started live streaming a call to play over a muted TV.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821913 is a reply to message #821906 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:22

Yeah, he's not a biased PBP guy he's just an awful PBP quy. I'm surprised an aspiring broadcaster hasn't started live streaming a call to play over a muted TV.

Lol, yeah he's not the best.. he's known for his bonino bonino bonino during the Pens run when he was broadcasting in Punjabi.

as for an aspiring broadcaster sounds like a job for Pi. :)

The very definition of insanity is doing the exact same thing expecting different results.

Generally Disappointed.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821908 is a reply to message #821905 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't think there is bias either. I just don't think he is very good at sounding excited in general. Sounds forced all the time and people can pick up on that pretty easily. Maybe his forced excitement goes oddly louder now and then for a good thing the Kings did, but don't think it's because he likes the Kings, just the forced excitement has random intensity levels lol. Just not a playoff quality commentator yet. Not most people expect at least. SN not really swimming in commentator talent these days.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821910 is a reply to message #821908 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:27

I don't think there is bias either. I just don't think he is very good at sounding excited in general. Sounds forced all the time and people can pick up on that pretty easily. Maybe his forced excitement goes oddly louder now and then for a good thing the Kings did, but don't think it's because he likes the Kings, just the forced excitement has random intensity levels lol. Just not a playoff quality commentator yet. Not most people expect at least. SN not really swimming in commentator talent these days.

It's probably just his tone that is the issue for me. When I think of the guys that I like, they have a bit more of a higher voice. Rod Phillips was higher pitched, Michaels is, Cuthbert has a bit of a higher voice. I didn't mind Jim Hugheson other than the fact he hated the Oilers and it was obvious. Bob Cole was higher voiced.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821909 is a reply to message #821905 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Thanks for letting me know. I am probably just hearing more than is there because I just really don't enjoy his call of the game. I just don't find he brings a ton of energy and draws people in, he's just a guy talking in the background to me. I just heard the Hyman goal replayed and he wasn't too bad on it but in general, he's just blah to me.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821912 is a reply to message #821909 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:29

Thanks for letting me know. I am probably just hearing more than is there because I just really don't enjoy his call of the game. I just don't find he brings a ton of energy and draws people in, he's just a guy talking in the background to me. I just heard the Hyman goal replayed and he wasn't too bad on it but in general, he's just blah to me.

I do not really hear the bias in Singh's calls, but I also do not like his calls in general. Lifeless. I yearn for Jack, but I get his homerism would grow old on a National level ... then again, does anyone out east stay up to watch us besides our awesome Eastern fans?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821914 is a reply to message #821912 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 09:42

I do not really hear the bias in Singh's calls, but I also do not like his calls in general. Lifeless. I yearn for Jack, but I get his homerism would grow old on a National level ... then again, does anyone out east stay up to watch us besides our awesome Eastern fans?

On the flip side, why would homerism be seen as a bad thing to any of the eastern fans? I am an Oilers fan so when the Oilers aren't playing or if the (knock on wood), my interest isn't as high and I am definitely not "pro Canadian team" if my team isn't in it (knock on wood) but as a Canadian broadcasting company, I would want as pro Canadian team guy as I can get. It would be going to Leafs fans and be like "we know Cuthrbert calls all the Leafs games but he's too homer for the Leafs in the playoffs so here is the Canucks guy for you."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821915 is a reply to message #821912 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't understand why, in our infinite streaming universe, we can't have the choice. Jack's already calling the game, why can't we listen to him on SportsNet Oilers or on the SportsNet ap. Why force an unpopular or bad product on your customer?

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821916 is a reply to message #821912 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I actually prefer Singh to Jack, and don't think it's close. I think Singh's improved a lot in the last couple years, and Jack is near unlistenable. It feels like you're being yelled at for two hours. He also has a really weird tendency to just go off on tangents and ramble about random stuff. It's worse on the radio with Bob, but even on TV with Louie, he'll suddenly start talking about an obscure movie, or the WWE or some other thing that has nothing to do with the game he's calling.

He's no Rod Phillips, and I think Cam Moon is better actually.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821919 is a reply to message #821916 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 10:05

I actually prefer Singh to Jack, and don't think it's close. I think Singh's improved a lot in the last couple years, and Jack is near unlistenable. It feels like you're being yelled at for two hours. He also has a really weird tendency to just go off on tangents and ramble about random stuff. It's worse on the radio with Bob, but even on TV with Louie, he'll suddenly start talking about an obscure movie, or the WWE or some other thing that has nothing to do with the game he's calling.

He's no Rod Phillips, and I think Cam Moon is better actually.

I'd be curious to know if you would be in the minority taking Singh over Jack not just in this site but in general.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821920 is a reply to message #821919 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

PBP[ 28 vote(s) ]
1.Singh 8 / 29%
2.Jack 20 / 71%

Let's find out!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821921 is a reply to message #821920 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 10:49

Let's find out!

I'd take Jack over Singh. I want the play by play guy to sound genuinely interested in what is happening. We all know what is going on already. Singh being so robotic and having unnatural sounding fake excitement is a distraction more than anything.

What we really need is another Leafs fail and cutherbert swings over to the oilers in the second round.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821922 is a reply to message #821921 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

I just really miss Kevin Quinn. Thought he was great for regional.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821923 is a reply to message #821922 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

At least we can all agree that life is better without Cassie Campbell-Pascall making the calls.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821925 is a reply to message #821921 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 10:54

Let's find out!

I'd take Jack over Singh. I want the play by play guy to sound genuinely interested in what is happening. We all know what is going on already. Singh being so robotic and having unnatural sounding fake excitement is a distraction more than anything.

What we really need is another Leafs fail and cutherbert swings over to the oilers in the second round.

I agree with you. I am not at the game, I don't get to feel the energy of the crowd so I want the play by play to bring a ton of energy. I am in my mid 40's, I have watched probably 1000's of Oilers games. I am not a new fan to the game or team where I need the play by play guy to methodically and calmly describe the game to me like I don't know what I am watching. I am looking to be entertained.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2023 11:31]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821929 is a reply to message #821920 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Let's find out!

I love Jack. I get that he's definitely not everyone's cup of tea though. He's very over the top and hits the cheesy notes a lot, but I like it. He's certainly more radio than TV in that regard. Often times I'll see a highlight posted on Reddit or whatever and the comments are often like "Wow, I wish our announcer got that excited!"

Singh lacks any defining personality to me. Like I really couldn't describe his PBP style besides passionless and borderline sterile.

Jack and Louie also seem to be genuinely friends with chemistry, so I don't' mind the tangents and occasional goofing off.

But yet, at least we aren't being subjected to Cassie Campbell. I'll count my blessings.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821931 is a reply to message #821929 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 12:18

Let's find out!

I love Jack. I get that he's definitely not everyone's cup of tea though. He's very over the top and hits the cheesy notes a lot, but I like it. He's certainly more radio than TV in that regard. Often times I'll see a highlight posted on Reddit or whatever and the comments are often like "Wow, I wish our announcer got that excited!"

Singh lacks any defining personality to me. Like I really couldn't describe his PBP style besides passionless and borderline sterile.

Jack and Louie also seem to be genuinely friends with chemistry, so I don't' mind the tangents and occasional goofing off.

But yet, at least we aren't being subjected to Cassie Campbell. I'll count my blessings.

I can agree with the Cassie comments.

I think the cheesiness is one of the things I dislike about Jack. All the stupid catch phrases screamed in to the mike "and he's OFF THE SCHNEID!!!" "DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME!!!" etc etc. Yuck. Also he is such a massive apologist for the Oilers organization and goes so far out of his way to carry water that he can be ridiculous at times.

I would bet that if you did a broader poll of Oilers fans, that you'd find Jack would be preferred, although part of that is that, well, it's Alberta. Some probably like a little homerism too.

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca