This day on July 6
Acquired: Daniel Tjarnqvist (2006)
Departed: Ty Conklin (2006) Toby Petersen (2007) Brad Winchester (2007)

Happy Birthday To: Djwolfman, wolfman, OilFanAlways, Doushokutoaoiro, Dannycaper

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Goalie possibilities Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Goalie possibilities [message #797489]
Sun, 16 January 2022 07:16 Go to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

1 Cup

It's pretty obvious this morning we need a goalie now, theres a good amount that could be had now for the right price. And I'm just wondering who you guys believe we should be making calls on.

1. MAF

Hes old and paid alot of money but hes a proven winner, the real catch here is I dont trust ken in even thinking about calling chicago.

2 korpisalo

Hes younger with some good upside, but has terrible numbers. For me hes a last resort kind of thing

3 Varlamov

Again older proven starter, would be a huge upgrade and I dont think would have the same price tag as MAF, but would definitely move the needle forward.

4 allen.

Good goalie has played well in price's absence

5 khudobin

Again an older guy, has had some great years but theres a great chance that his best days are done

6 georgiev (sp ?)

Younger guy, all kind of potential would be higher up on my list truthfully

I'm sure I have missed some guys, but these are the guys i think are most attainable through trade. If I'm being honest to myself I would go after Varlamov first and see if that was doable. What say you oilfans is there a goalie you like better?

Formerly gagnerisgod.
PLAY LABAMBA BABY

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797516 is a reply to message #797489 ]
Sun, 16 January 2022 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 07:16

It's pretty obvious this morning we need a goalie now, theres a good amount that could be had now for the right price. And I'm just wondering who you guys believe we should be making calls on.

1. MAF

Hes old and paid alot of money but hes a proven winner, the real catch here is I dont trust ken in even thinking about calling chicago.

2 korpisalo

Hes younger with some good upside, but has terrible numbers. For me hes a last resort kind of thing

3 Varlamov

Again older proven starter, would be a huge upgrade and I dont think would have the same price tag as MAF, but would definitely move the needle forward.

4 allen.

5 khudobin

Again an older guy, has had some great years but theres a great chance that his best days are done

6 georgiev (sp ?)

I'm sure I have missed some guys, but these are the guys i think are most attainable through trade. If I'm being honest to myself I would go after Varlamov first and see if that was doable. What say you oilfans is there a goalie you like better?

Have you considered a mixture of Mike Smith on and off while being backed up by Koskinen and Skinner?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797549 is a reply to message #797516 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

If two of those three are out, we could always bank on Mr Stallock bringing it to the table.
See, ken had a plan all along.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797585 is a reply to message #797489 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

3 Cups

They need to figure out what Boston is planning to do. Is Rask a one and done for the year, with Ullmark and Swayman being the tandem next year? Is Rask sticking around longer, with Swayman being mentored by him?

The Oilers should have been pursuing Ullmark hard last summer, but given the three-headed goalie situation that has emerged in Boston, they need to revisit is one of Ullmark or Swayman is available.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797587 is a reply to message #797585 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 16:55

They need to figure out what Boston is planning to do. Is Rask a one and done for the year, with Ullmark and Swayman being the tandem next year? Is Rask sticking around longer, with Swayman being mentored by him?

The Oilers should have been pursuing Ullmark hard last summer, but given the three-headed goalie situation that has emerged in Boston, they need to revisit is one of Ullmark or Swayman is available.

Couldn't pursue Ullmark. The goal was Darcy Kuemper! You don't plan to fail if you're the Oilers GM! No one could have anticipated getting outbid by Colorado or having to pay a premium price for a starting netminder...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797594 is a reply to message #797587 ]
Mon, 17 January 2022 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 17:09

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 17 January 2022 16:55

Couldn't pursue Ullmark. The goal was Darcy Kuemper! You don't plan to fail if you're the Oilers GM! No one could have anticipated getting outbid by Colorado or having to pay a premium price for a starting netminder...

In fairness, we probably would have complained if Holland had overpaid for Markstrom or Kuemper.

I wonder if there's anyone in the KHL that played 4 games over here a decade ago?

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797613 is a reply to message #797489 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan is currently online RDOilerfan

6 Cups

sinfulchimp306 wrote on Sun, 16 January 2022 07:16

1. MAF

2 korpisalo

3 Varlamov

4 allen.

5 khudobin

6 georgiev (sp ?)

I think people need to stop mentioning MAF.

Fleury is a HUGE family man. He has a modified no move. He's playing well and I know the Hawks aren't going to make the playoffs but I do not see him leaving his family for many months to be a mercenary. He has a Vezina, he has 3 cups and an Olympic gold medal. There is literally nothing left for him to prove or to win. He's made tons of money. He's 37 yrs old, turns 38 in November next year. I know he loves the game and any pro athlete has the desire to compete but just don't see him moving at all. I think he retires after his contract is done because his resume doesn't get much better, he will be in the hall of fame and as a family man who's kids aren't that old, why would you pack them up and move somewhere else all to play another year

I know everyone likes to play GM and goaltending is a problem for the Oilers. With the type of guy he is, how he is playing and the fact his contract is up at the end of the year, if you could make the money work, he totally makes sense for the Oilers but I do not think fans take into account these are people and if you have a family, where you go plays a massive factor for these guys. I think it's a pipe dream you could get him.

I think the Oilers could probably get Korpisalo. I don't pretend to know a ton about him. I see his numbers for 2 years now are terrible so is he an upgrade on Koskinen? I have no idea. At least he's a UFA.

Varlamov. I don't know what the Isles would trade him.

Khudodin... see Korpisalo. He hasn't been good for 2 years now. Older than Koskinen and you have another year on his contract. I am sure they could get him but is he better than Koskinen? I am not sure.

Allen - I don't see why the Habs would trade him. Price for some reason has to start rehab of his knee over so he's not playing at all this year and I think he's done with the Habs as they will want to rebuild and get rid of his money. So the Habs need someone to play goal.

Georgiev- maybe. He won't be a starter for NYR. His numbers are OKish. Looks similar to Talbot though I think Talbot had better numbers when the Oilers traded for him.

To me, I don't want Khudobin because of that extra year. I think if you get Korpisalo, you are basically trading for him for the sake of change to get Koskinen out. Maybe for the mentality of the team, that's probably a good thing but I don't think he's an upgrade, at best maybe a lateral move.

What's Seattle doing? They went out and get Dreiger and quickly signed him for not big money but high end back up/low end starter. I assume and I bet he assumed he was going to be their guy. Then they bring in Grubauer in free agency. So they have 9.4 mill locked up in mediocre goaltending this year. Dreiger is still unproven in my opinion and seems to get hurt a lot.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2022 11:42]

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797618 is a reply to message #797613 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I really don't think 'already won 3 cups' would stop MAF from going after another. Players want to win. always. If he didn't, he would already have retired because, as you said, he's done everything and made a ton. If not to go after another cup, why would he still play?

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797625 is a reply to message #797618 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 12:12

I really don't think 'already won 3 cups' would stop MAF from going after another. Players want to win. always. If he didn't, he would already have retired because, as you said, he's done everything and made a ton. If not to go after another cup, why would he still play?

He's playing because he was only 34 yrs old when Vegas sign him for 3 yrs at 21 mill. So he is playing because he's making 6 mill this year. Why on earth would you walk away from 6 mill?

Like I said, maybe I am totally wrong but if Fleury even moves at all, I'd be completely stunned if he picked a team like Edmonton. This isn't because I think Edmonton is horrific and has zero chance. In my opinion, if the Oilers could get a goalie that consistently gives them even AVERAGE NHL goaltending, when you got McD and Leon, you have a chance. But I do not see him packing up and moving across the continent leaving his young family behind to play for the Oilers for a couple of months. If had zero cups then maybe he would be willing to be a mercenary but with 3 in his pocket, I don't think he moves at all this season.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797630 is a reply to message #797625 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 12:59

He's playing because he was only 34 yrs old when Vegas sign him for 3 yrs at 21 mill. So he is playing because he's making 6 mill this year. Why on earth would you walk away from 6 mill?

Like I said, maybe I am totally wrong but if Fleury even moves at all, I'd be completely stunned if he picked a team like Edmonton. This isn't because I think Edmonton is horrific and has zero chance. In my opinion, if the Oilers could get a goalie that consistently gives them even AVERAGE NHL goaltending, when you got McD and Leon, you have a chance. But I do not see him packing up and moving across the continent leaving his young family behind to play for the Oilers for a couple of months. If had zero cups then maybe he would be willing to be a mercenary but with 3 in his pocket, I don't think he moves at all this season.

You know what makes $6MM seem even better? Winning while making the money!

Of course, it's a stretch to think the Oilers have the management or coaching to win, soooo...we might not be high on his list of places he wants to go.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797631 is a reply to message #797630 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 13:29

Of course, it's a stretch to think the Oilers have the management or coaching to win, soooo...we might not be high on his list of places he wants to go.

I hear winning also makes being a fan more enjoyable. I'm not sure about that though. It sounds sus.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797638 is a reply to message #797631 ]
Tue, 18 January 2022 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 13:34

I hear winning also makes being a fan more enjoyable. I'm not sure about that though. It sounds sus.

You know, I'd like to try this winning some day. With a side of $6MM if possible.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797699 is a reply to message #797638 ]
Wed, 19 January 2022 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 14:19

CrusaderPi wrote on Tue, 18 January 2022 13:34

You know, I'd like to try this winning some day. With a side of $6MM if possible.

Not me. let's stick with what we are familiar with. I forget, did Kevin Lowe get but into the HoF as a builder or a player?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797700 is a reply to message #797638 ]
Wed, 19 January 2022 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

I think the guy that would be potentially available is Varlamov from the NYI. He is older (33) & good when healthy (sort of same mold as Smith except younger) which is a concern obviously. Another negative is he has another year at $5 million which if it doesn't work out this year would be a huge issue. You would be stuck with Valamov at $5 million & Smith at $2.2 million for next year's tandem....which we would have to be ok with obviously.

This would be a swing for the fence type of trade in my opinion. Lamoriello is not forced to trade him, but he has cap issues next year and trading Varlamov for UFA and a higher end prospect would help that a long way. They are out of the playoffs by quite a bit and would be an extreme long shot to make it into the playoffs this year.

I also think we need some really good sand paper & can get this in this trade. Matt Martin is that guy. Can skate, fight & LOVES to hit. Causes lots of @$$^^ all the time and we could definately use that in the bottom 6 forwards. He is $1.5 for this year & 2 more. He would fill that tough guy that can skate part that Kassian fills right now. You could trade Kassian this year at the deadline for something or at the draft to get the cap hit of $3.25 gone. Martin does the same thing for less than half. Lou & the Islanders love Martin & would need to be enticed to trade him.

Below is what I think would entice Lamoriello to trade Varlamov & Martin

To NYI
Koskinen ($4.5 M cap) - UFA in summer
Turris ($1.65 M cap) - UFA in summer
Samarukov - LD Prospect
Benson - ($.750 M cap) - RFA this summer
Total Cap ($6.9 M)

for

To Oilers

Varlamov ($5 M cap)
Martin ($1.5 M cap)
Total Cap ($6.5 M)

Lou really needs a young LH Dman to partner up with Dobson for the future, gets a throw in with Benson & loses over $6 Million in cap space for next year to use somewhere else.

This is a high risk trade because of an older goalie who gets hurt a decent amount every year, but I view it as a Roloson type of trade where it has high reward. IF, & it is a BIG IF, Smith and Varlamov can tandem up and stay relatively healthy because of even work load we would have something solid for 1.5 years IMO. We can afford to give up 1 high end D prospect & Samarukov is the closest to the NHL & at 22 years old we need to make a decision on him asap cuz of his age.....Broberg we have a couple more years of to make a decision.

I could see this taking shape in and around the end of January time frame.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2022 10:36]

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797702 is a reply to message #797700 ]
Wed, 19 January 2022 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Jakey wrote on Wed, 19 January 2022 10:35

I think the guy that would be potentially available is Varlamov from the NYI. He is older (33) & good when healthy (sort of same mold as Smith except younger) which is a concern obviously. Another negative is he has another year at $5 million which if it doesn't work out this year would be a huge issue. You would be stuck with Valamov at $5 million & Smith at $2.2 million for next year's tandem....which we would have to be ok with obviously.

This would be a swing for the fence type of trade in my opinion. Lamoriello is not forced to trade him, but he has cap issues next year and trading Varlamov for UFA and a higher end prospect would help that a long way. They are out of the playoffs by quite a bit and would be an extreme long shot to make it into the playoffs this year.

I also think we need some really good sand paper & can get this in this trade. Matt Martin is that guy. Can skate, fight & LOVES to hit. Causes lots of @$$^^ all the time and we could definately use that in the bottom 6 forwards. He is $1.5 for this year & 2 more. He would fill that tough guy that can skate part that Kassian fills right now. You could trade Kassian this year at the deadline for something or at the draft to get the cap hit of $3.25 gone. Martin does the same thing for less than half. Lou & the Islanders love Martin & would need to be enticed to trade him.

To NYI
Samarukov - LD Prospect
Total Cap ($6.9 M)

for

To Oilers

Varlamov ($5 M cap)
Martin ($1.5 M cap)
Total Cap ($6.5 M)

Lou really needs a young LH Dman to partner up with Dobson for the future, gets a throw in with Benson & loses over $6 Million in cap space for next year to use somewhere else.

This is a high risk trade because of an older goalie who gets hurt a decent amount every year, but I view it as a Roloson type of trade where it has high reward. IF, & it is a BIG IF, Smith and Varlamov can tandem up and stay relatively healthy because of even work load we would have something solid for 1.5 years IMO. We can afford to give up 1 high end D prospect & Samarukov is the closest to the NHL & at 22 years old we need to make a decision on him asap cuz of his age.....Broberg we have a couple more years of to make a decision.

For the sake of realism you'd need to have the Oilers either giving up more or getting back less in a trade between Holland and Lou.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797704 is a reply to message #797702 ]
Wed, 19 January 2022 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 19 January 2022 10:54

To NYI
Samarukov - LD Prospect
Total Cap ($6.9 M)

for

To Oilers

Varlamov ($5 M cap)
Martin ($1.5 M cap)
Total Cap ($6.5 M)

For the sake of realism you'd need to have the Oilers either giving up more or getting back less in a trade between Holland and Lou.

Realistic trade:

From Oilers:
1st 2022
3rd in 2023, upgrades to 2nd if we win 1 round, upgrades to 1st if we make conference finals
3rd in 2024 with same conditions as above based on 2023 playoffs and Varlamov plays 50%+ of games
Jesse Puljujarvi
Koskinen 50% retained

From Islanders:
Varlamov 0% retained

I mean, come on, it's Holland.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2022 11:02]

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797706 is a reply to message #797704 ]
Wed, 19 January 2022 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2022 12:00

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 19 January 2022 10:54

To NYI
Samarukov - LD Prospect
Total Cap ($6.9 M)

for

To Oilers

Varlamov ($5 M cap)
Martin ($1.5 M cap)
Total Cap ($6.5 M)

Realistic trade:

From Oilers:
1st 2022
3rd in 2023, upgrades to 2nd if we win 1 round, upgrades to 1st if we make conference finals
3rd in 2024 with same conditions as above based on 2023 playoffs and Varlamov plays 50%+ of games
Jesse Puljujarvi
Koskinen 50% retained

From Islanders:
Varlamov 0% retained

I mean, come on, it's Holland.

You’re missing the subscription to the Dollar Shave Club, but spot on otherwise.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797720 is a reply to message #797489 ]
Wed, 19 January 2022 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner is currently online mightyreasoner

3 Cups

A Varlamov addition would be quite the exclamation point on a Kane signing.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797947 is a reply to message #797489 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If we badly overpay for an average goalie, how long does it take to destroy his confidence?

Comes in with everyone all looking at him as the answer to all the problems the team has. Plus they have the knowledge that Holland paid out the nose to get him.

3 weeks?

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797955 is a reply to message #797947 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I am of the opinion that even if they bring in a goalie that is just an average NHL goalie, the team would immediately play better because I think a HUGE part of their issue is mental. They look like a team who literally expects Koskinen to give up a garbage goal on every shot. I don't blame them.

I think last nights game is the explanation point of that mentality. They came out and played maybe their best period of hockey all year against a very good team. They get on the PK, they force Reinhart to make an incredible pass and their goalie can't stop a bloody muffin. They play like a team with the mindset that if they make even the smallest mistake, it's in. So I think a different guy would at least for a while, take the 1000 lbs gorilla off their shoulders and maybe they would relax a little and just play.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797957 is a reply to message #797955 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 10:59

I am of the opinion that even if they bring in a goalie that is just an average NHL goalie, the team would immediately play better because I think a HUGE part of their issue is mental. They look like a team who literally expects Koskinen to give up a garbage goal on every shot. I don't blame them.

I think last nights game is the explanation point of that mentality. They came out and played maybe their best period of hockey all year against a very good team. They get on the PK, they force Reinhart to make an incredible pass and their goalie can't stop a bloody muffin. They play like a team with the mindset that if they make even the smallest mistake, it's in. So I think a different guy would at least for a while, take the 1000 lbs gorilla off their shoulders and maybe they would relax a little and just play.

Weird how we always end up like this. This team scared to make mistakes that just endlessly makes mistakes leaving guys wide open to snipe on our goalie. Then we think a new goalie will fix everything and then after a while we're scared to make mistakes while actually making loads of mistakes and it's all the goalies fault.

Been in this cycle for almost a decade now, very consistently. lots of bad goalies came through for sure, couple that went on to have solid careers after they escaped this mess that drove their confidence to zero.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797958 is a reply to message #797955 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

And I think the defensemen on the roster are so irredeemably bad that an average goaltender would be lost in the fog before the playoff race the Oilers are somehow losing is decided. Getting Hellebuyck does not solve the Oilers and that quality of tender is simply not available. That being said I'd get two new NHL level goalies, then get to work on finding 2 or 3 NHL level defensemen.

With the except of the people occupying the highest positions in the company, the obvious problems on the ice are far greater than what can be solved by a change in mentality.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797976 is a reply to message #797958 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

2 Cups

Sportsnet posts an article (not credited to Spector) with a half dozen suggestions for guys who can solve the Oilers goaltending issues.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/six-goalies-edmonton-oi lers-target-potential-trade/

None of them ideal, either because of questionable skill or salary cap issues or both,

If only the Oilers could bring up an NHL goalie through their own system. If only.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797977 is a reply to message #797976 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 12:53

Sportsnet posts an article (not credited to Spector) with a half dozen suggestions for guys who can solve the Oilers goaltending issues.

okay I'll click it then

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797985 is a reply to message #797958 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 11:14

And I think the defensemen on the roster are so irredeemably bad that an average goaltender would be lost in the fog before the playoff race the Oilers are somehow losing is decided. Getting Hellebuyck does not solve the Oilers and that quality of tender is simply not available. That being said I'd get two new NHL level goalies, then get to work on finding 2 or 3 NHL level defensemen.

With the except of the people occupying the highest positions in the company, the obvious problems on the ice are far greater than what can be solved by a change in mentality.

Saw a heat map analysis the other day which showed that the Oilers are doing a really poor job getting shots from the kill zone in the slot - they are instead wasting a lot of shots from the outside - and that they're giving up a HUGE percentage of their shots from those locations. There's a weakness in the Oilers system that's being exploited and teams are killing us.

I think it's pretty funny that we have people trying to suggest that a one-timer on a cross-crease pass from 6 feet out from one of the league's best players is a weak goal. That's a massive save if he makes it - and while it's fair to ask your goalie to occasionally have some game savers, it's hard to win if that's the kind of opportunity you keep giving up.

To be fair to the Oilers, that was a powerplay goal and the pass was sublime to make that possible, but the kind of chance keeps happening. The PK has been junk lately, and like with everything else, Tippett is slow to react, hoping that what used to work may magically just start working again.

This is the danger with hiring dinosaurs.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797990 is a reply to message #797985 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Martin Jones rumoured to be the Oilers goalie of interest.
that's what we need. 21-22 so far played 14 games and won 6.
20-21 played 34 won 15
19-20 played 40 and won 17
18-19 played 62 won 36

this year save% is 908, the past 3 years he's a consistant 896

this is our target... what the f...

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #797997 is a reply to message #797990 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:17

20-21 played 34 won 15
18-19 played 62 won 36

The counter argument is he's only 32 and has played on terrible teams for the last few years.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #798010 is a reply to message #797997 ]
Fri, 21 January 2022 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 15:50

Dragon_Matt wrote on Fri, 21 January 2022 14:17

20-21 played 34 won 15
18-19 played 62 won 36

The counter argument is he's only 32 and has played on terrible teams for the last few years.

Perfect fit then! Oilers are also terrible

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #808865 is a reply to message #798010 ]
Sun, 12 June 2022 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jakey  is currently offline Jakey

No Cups

Thought we could bring back this post and discuss as it is the most important decision in the off season IMO.

Trade Option

Gibson & Comtois (cap - $8.45 M)
For
JP, Foegele, 2022 1st, Samarukov, Klefbom Caphit (cap - $7 M…JP not in #)

Gibson is the #1 available option out there. He has a 10 team NTC, he’s ultra competitive…so guessing he would like to come here. Comtois is a sleeper IMO. He is big, decent speed, has decent hands and plays fairly physical. Ducks have been rumoured to be wanting him out but not willing to give him away as he has some in-consistent upside. Foegele would fill that void for them & we get a replacement on the 3rd line a little cheaper.

I believe Smith will retire. So we get Gibson at $6.4 M & Skinner at $.750K. Tandem at $7.15M which is pretty solid. Would love for this to happen. NJ, Avs, Leafs & a few other teams would be inquiring big time as he would be the best available for sure.

Let the replies fly!!!

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #808872 is a reply to message #808865 ]
Sun, 12 June 2022 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AndersonRules  is currently offline AndersonRules

No Cups

Horrible overpay in my opinion. They likely get the best player in JP, plus the valuable 1st rounder. Plus a great D prospect. Comptois for Foegele is a wash IMO.
Take out JP and I’d consider it … but would still probably say no

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #808873 is a reply to message #808872 ]
Sun, 12 June 2022 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

How about Samsonov? He is not that far removed from being a blue chip prospect and the Caps appear to be moving away from him.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #808874 is a reply to message #808873 ]
Sun, 12 June 2022 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 12 June 2022 13:46

How about Samsonov? He is not that far removed from being a blue chip prospect and the Caps appear to be moving away from him.

I’d be all for this but not sure if he and Skinner would be the answer. Not sure. It’s so fickle man. Excited for this Fanti kid and maybe he can be something but goalies need to be homegrown. It’s a big reason I keep going back to that trade with Minny.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809050 is a reply to message #808874 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

First I don't think Gibson would waive to come here. He's an American and American's not wanting to come to Canada is a thing. He is what I call and American American meaning never lived a day in his life outside of the US, from the east coast from Pittsburgh. It doesn't get more American than that in my opinion. The only time he has spent in Canada I bet is when he is on a road trip.

Second, All I have heard since Smith got here was how horrible he was. Yet in the last 3 seasons:
Smith: 19-20 - 39 GP 2.95, .901, 20-21 - 32 GP 2.31, .923, 21-22 - 28 GP 2.81, .915 - 2.2 mill

Gibson
19-20 - 51 GP 3.00, .904, 20-21 - 35 GP 2.95, .903, 21-22 - 56 GP 3.19, .904

So Smith for the last 3 years has better numbers and in his 3 combined seasons of salary, hasn't even equaled 1 of Gibson's salary. Now I want nothing to do with Smith anymore, they got everything they could from a goalie his age but nothing about Gibson's numbers makes me want the guy. All he has going for him is his rep from 4 years ago. No thanks.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809051 is a reply to message #809050 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 08:51

First I don't think Gibson would waive to come here. He's an American and American's not wanting to come to Canada is a thing. He is what I call and American American meaning never lived a day in his life outside of the US, from the east coast from Pittsburgh. It doesn't get more American than that in my opinion. The only time he has spent in Canada I bet is when he is on a road trip.

Second, All I have heard since Smith got here was how horrible he was. Yet in the last 3 seasons:
Smith: 19-20 - 39 GP 2.95, .901, 20-21 - 32 GP 2.31, .923, 21-22 - 28 GP 2.81, .915 - 2.2 mill

Gibson

So Smith for the last 3 years has better numbers and in his 3 combined seasons of salary, hasn't even equaled 1 of Gibson's salary. Now I want nothing to do with Smith anymore, they got everything they could from a goalie his age but nothing about Gibson's numbers makes me want the guy. All he has going for him is his rep from 4 years ago. No thanks.

Team play in front of Gibson definitely plays a part tho

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809052 is a reply to message #809051 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 08:56

Gibson

It can but if the Ducks were so poor defensively that it caused Gibson 3 years in a row to drop to a level that most wouldn't even call good for a back up, why did Stolarz post a 2.67 and a .917 in 28 games playing behind the same team? That's quite the difference in numbers.

I wouldn't be willing to gamble asset and 6.4 mill in cap hit.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809054 is a reply to message #809051 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Gibson

Yes - you can't look at goalie stats in isolation, because the defence in front of him makes a huge difference.

Also, I saw Matheson trumpeting this whole "he's American, so he'll never come here" tripe too. We've had a lot of Americans on the Oilers over the years. I don't think that's the biggest issue for players when they're deciding where to play, and really, we have Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl and went to the third round with a decidedly mediocre roster. If you're a good player with some self-confidence and the desire to win a Cup? There's a lot worse places to go then Edmonton. Seems stupid to assume anything on player destinations just simply because of someone's nation of birth.

Where do Swedes and Czechs all want to play I wonder?

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809056 is a reply to message #809054 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 09:42

Gibson

Yes - you can't look at goalie stats in isolation, because the defence in front of him makes a huge difference.

Like I said above, how do you explain Stolarz? Same team, same system, dramatically better numbers. When you are barely above .900 for 3 years in a row, then the other guy posts. 917, I have a hard time believing it's all the defenses fault. Being barely above .900 is not even good back up numbers and he's making 6.4 mill for that.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809060 is a reply to message #809056 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 09:55

Gibson

Like I said above, how do you explain Stolarz? Same team, same system, dramatically better numbers. When you are barely above .900 for 3 years in a row, then the other guy posts. 917, I have a hard time believing it's all the defenses fault. Being barely above .900 is not even good back up numbers and he's making 6.4 mill for that.

What about opposition? Backups are typically given ‘softer’ assignments. Koskinen and Skinner had the same team in front of them this season and Skinner played what, 1 playoff team? Lol. Yet we were all clamoring for Skinner bc of his numbers.. against weaker opposition which seemingly was ignored(even by myself at the time!)

Ignoring the fact that Gibson is in fact a legit starter in the NHL and claiming that you want nothing to do with him, is very short sighted. That team in Anaheim, coached by Dallas Eakins(lol) is bad. Has been bad for years. Swap him and Vasilevskiy and we’d see Vasi post worse numbers. Swap Gibson and Kuemper and the Avs go 98-0

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809061 is a reply to message #809060 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 10:17

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 09:55

Gibson

What about opposition? Backups are typically given ‘softer’ assignments. Koskinen and Skinner had the same team in front of them this season and Skinner played what, 1 playoff team? Lol. Yet we were all clamoring for Skinner bc of his numbers.. against weaker opposition which seemingly was ignored(even by myself at the time!)

Ignoring the fact that Gibson is in fact a legit starter in the NHL and claiming that you want nothing to do with him, is very short sighted. That team in Anaheim, coached by Dallas Eakins(lol) is bad. Has been bad for years. Swap him and Vasilevskiy and we’d see Vasi post worse numbers. Swap Gibson and Kuemper and the Avs go 98-0

In my opinion, 6.4 mill for the next 5 years is a hell of a risk for a guy with those numbers 3 years in a row. If it was a one off season, I wouldn't be as worried.

Re: Goalie possibilities [message #809089 is a reply to message #809061 ]
Wed, 15 June 2022 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 15 June 2022 10:20

In my opinion, 6.4 mill for the next 5 years is a hell of a risk for a guy with those numbers 3 years in a row. If it was a one off season, I wouldn't be as worried.

I agree it is a lot of money. I'd be making all your same arguments to the Ducks. He's getting older, his numbers haven't been great, he's on a long-term deal, if he doesn't work out he's impossible to move...and then arguing for low acquisition cost and for salary retention from the Ducks. It's known publicly that he wants out, so there's going to be pressure on the team.

Use that and get him at the best price possible.

For what it's worth, I think he's at a decent age as a goalie, and has some elite performance in the past. I think he's not a bad bet to rebound with a good team.

Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]  
Next Topic:Puljujarvi's Extension
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca