This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793235]
Thu, 21 October 2021 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win: 0%
Arizona to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2021-22 Regular Season
Thursday, October 21, 2021Edmonton 5 @ Arizona 1Win
Wednesday, November 24, 2021Edmonton 5 @ Arizona 3Win
Monday, March 28, 2022Arizona 1 @ Edmonton 6Win
Home Record: 1-0-0       Road Record: 2-0-0       Overall Record: 3-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 6/10 Total: 16
Home / Road Goals Against: 1/4 Total: 5

2020-21 Regular Season
Home Record: 0-0-0       Road Record: 0-0-0       Overall Record: 0-0-0
Home / Road Goals For: 0/0 Total: 0
Home / Road Goals Against: 0/0 Total: 0

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793237 is a reply to message #793235 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hibernia  is currently offline Hibernia

No Cups

So, the talk these past couple of weeks is that Tippett is loading up McDrai on the top line at home while he plans to split them up on the road where the home team will have a harder time matching up against both of them. It's the old Crosby-Malkin strategy. Tonight, we find out if that is true.

Even if it is true, I'm not sure the strategy really makes sense. On the one hand, Tippett doesn't even line match at home. He's just playing McDrai as much as reasonably possible and who cares who they're out there against.

On the other hand, this is Arizona they're playing against tonight. Splitting McDrai up tonight may make sense just because the Coyotes top two lines aren't deep enough to stop either of them.

Twitter: @AitchOil

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793238 is a reply to message #793237 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

No Cups

Hibernia wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 07:02

So, the talk these past couple of weeks is that Tippett is loading up McDrai on the top line at home while he plans to split them up on the road where the home team will have a harder time matching up against both of them. It's the old Crosby-Malkin strategy. Tonight, we find out if that is true.

Even if it is true, I'm not sure the strategy really makes sense. On the one hand, Tippett doesn't even line match at home. He's just playing McDrai as much as reasonably possible and who cares who they're out there against.

On the other hand, this is Arizona they're playing against tonight. Splitting McDrai up tonight may make sense just because the Coyotes top two lines aren't deep enough to stop either of them.

I do hope they split them up but the second line looked good from what I saw last game (if Kassian was on it)

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793259 is a reply to message #793238 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 16:05 Go to previous message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

No Cups

McDavid97 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 07:01

I do hope they split them up but the second line looked good from what I saw last game (if Kassian was on it)

Here's my thinking, on what I think Dave Tippets thinking is on playing 97 and 29 together. Did that sentence make sense?

97/29 are the best duo in the NHL, this is not really disputable. Add 13 to the mix and it's certainly not downgrading anything. This line will outscore their opposition most nights, so what Tippet is betting on is that the rest of the forwards can at worst saw off against their opposition. If this happens, the Oilers win 5v5, and with their awesome pp, likely win most games. It’s a long season, and you have to bank points whenever you can, as displayed in the first 3 games of the season. Good teams consistently beat the bottom half of the league, even on nights where they are outplayed, as Oilers fans we know the feeling of losing games that we probably played well enough to win. This is how teams have 100+ point seasons, and divisional games are that much more important.

I personally think for the Oilers to ever win it all, 97 and 29 need to be on their own lines, but you have to get to the playoffs first, and ideally not scrap your way into a wildcard spot, but seed as high as possible. That means something, even if it’s largely on the back of beating up on the bottom feeders. So I can see the logic in playing the odds against weaker teams that have no answer to 97/29 together. I don’t know what the actual numbers would say, but if the odds say the Oilers will win 75% of their games vs the bottom half of the league when playing them together, I think you have to take that approach no? That's roughly 60pts over the course of a season and that’s money in the bank. Then you adapt your strategy against stronger teams where you're win ratio is closer to .500 and there's your 100pt season.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793251 is a reply to message #793237 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Looks like the McDrai split up on the road is indeed the plan. For the moment at least.

Tony Brar @TonyBrarOTV
Oilers lines in Arizona:

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Bouchard

Koskinen

#Oilers

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793252 is a reply to message #793251 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 12:46

Looks like the McDrai split up on the road is indeed the plan. For the moment at least.

Tony Brar @TonyBrarOTV
Oilers lines in Arizona:

Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Bouchard

Koskinen

#Oilers

Mmm-mmm-mmmmm that second D pairing 🤌🏼 *chef’s kiss*

Wouldn’t mind seeing Yamo on the 4th line for a game here soon.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793253 is a reply to message #793252 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 12:58

Tony Brar @TonyBrarOTV
Oilers lines in Arizona:

Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Bouchard

Koskinen

#Oilers

Wonder how long that 2nd line actually lasts. Tippett has bailed on it pretty fast since the 19/20 regular season.

I like the idea of being able to change from the 1 loaded line to the 2 balanced lines, but I still don't think Tippett has any confidence in what the balanced lines should be. He also hasn't spent any time trying to figure it out since early last season.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793254 is a reply to message #793253 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 13:32

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 12:58

Tony Brar @TonyBrarOTV
Oilers lines in Arizona:

Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Bouchard

Koskinen

#Oilers

Wonder how long that 2nd line actually lasts. Tippett has bailed on it pretty fast since the 19/20 regular season.

I like the idea of being able to change from the 1 loaded line to the 2 balanced lines, but I still don't think Tippett has any confidence in what the balanced lines should be. He also hasn't spent any time trying to figure it out since early last season.

I’ll just be pleased if, when, we see Oilers playoff hockey this season that we get to see more than 3 dmen play in a 6 period game.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793255 is a reply to message #793254 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 13:53

I’ll just be pleased if, when, we see Oilers playoff hockey this season that we get to see more than 3 dmen play in a 6 period game.

Oilers let the Anaheim Ducks get 36 shots on them. We may get playoff OT, but one way or another it won't go 6 periods.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793257 is a reply to message #793251 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

No Cups

That's just a terrifying lineup to defend, especially when you're a bottom feeder. I hope the Yotes are listening to Eakins' advice: DONTTAKEPENALTIES

Tony Brar @TonyBrarOTV
Oilers lines in Arizona:

Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Bouchard

Koskinen

#Oilers

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793258 is a reply to message #793251 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 11:46

Tony Brar @TonyBrarOTV
Oilers lines in Arizona:

Foegele - Ryan - Kassian
Perlini - Shore - Turris

Nurse - Barrie
Keith - Ceci
Koekkoek - Bouchard

Koskinen

#Oilers

I'm going to be looking forward to the Hyman McD combo..

LD centering his own line.. might get his feet moving..

This could be another trap game, Oil have the better talent, but effort is the multiplier, need to max effort.. don't come out dopey and toss'n out some pizzas. This will be a good test for Koski to see what we have for this season.

Trap?
https://media3.giphy.com/media/JjW1VWSCsncJy/200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47mih5t51n8f1to3f4lmrqqfetc5v62rvtya1r3qbk&rid=200w.webp&ct=g

[Updated on: Thu, 21 October 2021 16:10]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793240 is a reply to message #793235 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Must.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793241 is a reply to message #793240 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

It has got to be pretty low on the old must scale. It's an early season non-division game against a bad team while the Oilers are comfortably sitting atop what might be a historically awful division. I mean sure you want to pick up the free points, but this game is basically a glorified pre-season affair.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793242 is a reply to message #793241 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 10:54

It has got to be pretty low on the old must scale. It's an early season non-division game against a bad team while the Oilers are comfortably sitting atop what might be a historically awful division. I mean sure you want to pick up the free points, but this game is basically a glorified pre-season affair.

Oscargasm acknowledged this by omitting any "load" references from his must statement.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793244 is a reply to message #793242 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 10:58

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 10:54

Oscargasm acknowledged this by omitting any "load" references from his must statement.

Yeah, but I want him to say it. I want him to bare his soul and say this isn't even a category 1 must game. It's a gentle musty breeze that smells of lavender and mildew.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793245 is a reply to message #793241 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 09:54

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornka9rAaKRA2Rkac/giphy.gif

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793246 is a reply to message #793245 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Goose wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 11:06

The fact it’s early in the season along with how pee pour they’ve played lately and won the non-pretty way.. losing their Schmidd (it’s like force, or the Schwartz, but relevant for the Oilers) and facing a team that seriously has no place reaching double digit wins this season... yeah, it’s a 4 on the ol’ Must scale.

A loss here can provide some pretty negative momentum

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793248 is a reply to message #793246 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 11:15

The fact it’s early in the season along with how pee pour they’ve played lately and won the non-pretty way.. losing their Schmidd (it’s like force, or the Schwartz, but relevant for the Oilers) and facing a team that seriously has no place reaching double digit wins this season... yeah, it’s a 4 on the ol’ Must scale.

I LOVE the reasoning that got you there.

Re: Pregame: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4) [message #793249 is a reply to message #793248 ]
Thu, 21 October 2021 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 11:26

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 21 October 2021 11:15

I LOVE the reasoning that got you there.

Pi’s approval. My day is complete.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Previous Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Arizona (Game #4)
Next Topic:Review: Anaheim @ Edmonton (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca