This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Holland: "The Time is Now"
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #791822]
Tue, 14 September 2021 20:38 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Holland says the time is now for the OIlers to be contenders

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/holland-believes-time-n ow-oilers-evolve-contenders/

Congrats fans, you made it to the finish line! Or at least the starting line! Possibly the dressing room. Still, at least we're in the building! Maybe.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #791823 is a reply to message #791822 ]
Tue, 14 September 2021 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 14 September 2021 20:38

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/holland-believes-time-n ow-oilers-evolve-contenders/

Congrats fans, you made it to the finish line! Or at least the starting line! Possibly the dressing room. Still, at least we're in the building! Maybe.

Sorry 2020-21 Oilers. it just wasn't your time.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #791828 is a reply to message #791823 ]
Wed, 15 September 2021 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jerekybeef  is currently offline jerekybeef

No Cups

Off-season moves indicate otherwise.

"Make the Oilers great again" - Donny Tramp

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #791830 is a reply to message #791822 ]
Wed, 15 September 2021 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Never change Mark Spector

Quote:

You can say that Holland’s Oilers have only won one playoff game in two post-seasons under the GM, and he’ll agree. It’s part of the process, losing.

Clean house or bust

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #791833 is a reply to message #791830 ]
Wed, 15 September 2021 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 15 September 2021 09:45

Never change Mark Spector

Quote:

You can say that Holland’s Oilers have only won one playoff game in two post-seasons under the GM, and he’ll agree. It’s part of the process, losing.

The scary part is I think the Oilers believe this too: you've got to lose first to learn how to win.

What a typical abomination of an article. They've since changed it to, "obscure player", but this was the original copy in the article:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_QUs_gXoAMzSqf?format=png&name=small

Does no one at Sportsnet read stuff before it gets published?

And maybe even more telling is the players he chose to list as not being contributers in this paragraph:

Quote:

When McDavid and Leon Draisaitl sit down at the second intermission trailing 3-2, and the people they see across the room have names like Gaetan Haas, Dominik Kahun, Joakim Nygard and Caleb Jones, they know that the comeback is on their backs. It’s been that way in Edmonton: If No. 29 and 97 don’t win the game for you, it doesn’t get won.

Weird that guys like Kassian, Chiasson, Neal all get a pass from Spector, especially given they all make significantly more than the group that Spector did decide to call out. Don't ever let the media convince you that it's fans fault that players don't want to play in Edmonton, when they're more than happy to shiv guys in the back on their way out.

https://twitter.com/RomulusNotNuma/status/143779695239404339 3?s=20

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #791834 is a reply to message #791833 ]
Wed, 15 September 2021 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Wed, 15 September 2021 11:12

Weird that guys like Kassian, Chiasson, Neal all get a pass from Spector, especially given they all make significantly more than the group that Spector did decide to call out. Don't ever let the media convince you that it's fans fault that players don't want to play in Edmonton, when they're more than happy to shiv guys in the back on their way out.

https://twitter.com/RomulusNotNuma/status/143779695239404339 3?s=20

Well, if they are counting on Neal to bail them out there is really a problem...

Fair point on the other two though

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792050 is a reply to message #791834 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

Holland opens 2921-22 training camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpiTw8g0UpY

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792070 is a reply to message #792050 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 09:16

Holland says there is one player who is a vaccine hold-out. Some rumours previously that Mike Smith wasn't vaccinated still this summer, so I wonder if it is him...

Apparently whoever the guy is, he'll need to quarantine every time he's crossing the border. In the US, he won't be able to leave the hotel room, and in Canada he'll miss games whenever the team comes back.

Holland says that he won't make it mandatory to be vaccinated - which to me suggests it's someone significant to the roster.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792071 is a reply to message #792070 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 12:10

Holland says there is one player who is a vaccine hold-out. Some rumours previously that Mike Smith wasn't vaccinated still this summer, so I wonder if it is him...

Apparently whoever the guy is, he'll need to quarantine every time he's crossing the border. In the US, he won't be able to leave the hotel room, and in Canada he'll miss games whenever the team comes back.

Holland says that he won't make it mandatory to be vaccinated - which to me suggests it's someone significant to the roster.

Kinda funny if it's Smith. All our young players get it, and our elderly players are the ones that resisted. That's not supposed to happen!

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792072 is a reply to message #792071 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 12:13

Kinda funny if it's Smith. All our young players get it, and our elderly players are the ones that resisted. That's not supposed to happen!

What a great way to avoid having to go to certain road games.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792080 is a reply to message #792071 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Some people on twitter saying that Josh Archibald has been posting conspiracy theories online this summer...sooooo, maybe he's the guy?

I'm a little disappointed in the Oilers for not drawing a hard line here. Apparently the player would stand to miss ~30 games due to quarantine requirements. I can't think we'll be able to LTIR him for any of that too, so we're just using up 40% of that guy's cap space to have him sit out games?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792085 is a reply to message #792080 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 12:55

Some people on twitter saying that Josh Archibald has been posting conspiracy theories online this summer...sooooo, maybe he's the guy?

I'm a little disappointed in the Oilers for not drawing a hard line here. Apparently the player would stand to miss ~30 games due to quarantine requirements. I can't think we'll be able to LTIR him for any of that too, so we're just using up 40% of that guy's cap space to have him sit out games?

Holland was just on OilersNow and he mentioned he talked to Archibald about vaccines so that pretty much spells out who the one guy on the Oilers who's not vaccinated is.

Holland also said, its down to single digits as to players who aren't. Sounds like Archibald, Tyler Bertuzzi has said he won't so he will just skip all games in Canada. I am STUNNED the last few hold outs would potentially risk their careers over this. You have to think that maybe the Oilers are holding out hope Archibald will change his mind once he gets to camp and probably has his teammates askign him about it. But if he doesn't, this guy could be screwing himself out of millions of lost wages in the future. Not to mention he is literally segregating himself from the team because vaccinated players have WAY more freedom compared to unvaccinated.

Totally mind boggling to me.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792087 is a reply to message #792085 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 13:05

Holland was just on OilersNow and he mentioned he talked to Archibald about vaccines so that pretty much spells out who the one guy on the Oilers who's not vaccinated is.

Holland also said, its down to single digits as to players who aren't. Sounds like Archibald, Tyler Bertuzzi has said he won't so he will just skip all games in Canada. I am STUNNED the last few hold outs would potentially risk their careers over this. You have to think that maybe the Oilers are holding out hope Archibald will change his mind once he gets to camp and probably has his teammates askign him about it. But if he doesn't, this guy could be screwing himself out of millions of lost wages in the future. Not to mention he is literally segregating himself from the team because vaccinated players have WAY more freedom compared to unvaccinated.

Also, you're more likely to catch and to spread the disease if you're unvaccinated, so there is a risk to the team having a guy like Archibald on the roster.

I'd be laying it out for Archibald that if he doesn't get vaccinated, he's not welcome and we'll somehow come up with someone else to score empty net goals.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792089 is a reply to message #792087 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 13:14

we'll somehow come up with someone else to score empty net goals.

His name is Devin Shore.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792104 is a reply to message #792087 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Also, you're more likely to catch and to spread the disease if you're unvaccinated, so there is a risk to the team having a guy like Archibald on the roster.

I'd be laying it out for Archibald that if he doesn't get vaccinated, he's not welcome and we'll somehow come up with someone else to score empty net goals.

Taking covid out of the equation for a moment, how does a coach make up his line up properly if you have a guy who is missing 30+ games due to principals. Does he just play in Canada because as soon as he crosses the border, he has to quarantine so how do you create any sore of chemistry on a line or a PK unit if Archibald is yanked in and out ever couple of weeks.

So I agree. He comes to Edmonton, you tell him he needs to get vaccinated. If he does, you tell him you have to waive him and then send in to Bakersfield if he isn't claimed. I don't see there being a choice for them They can't afford have a roster spot and the cap space dedicated to a guy that will miss half the season and you can't put him on LTIR like you could if he was hurt.

Another thing. Would a team take him? If there ends up being single digits in non vaccinated guys, that means most teams will be fully vaccinated even in the States. I wouldn't want my management being in an unvaccinated player to my fully vaccinated team and potentially put the team at risk.

So this is mind blowing to me because there are guys who are literally putting their careers on the line for this.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792106 is a reply to message #792104 ]
Wed, 22 September 2021 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 September 2021 15:56

Taking covid out of the equation for a moment, how does a coach make up his line up properly if you have a guy who is missing 30+ games due to principals. Does he just play in Canada because as soon as he crosses the border, he has to quarantine so how do you create any sore of chemistry on a line or a PK unit if Archibald is yanked in and out ever couple of weeks.

So I agree. He comes to Edmonton, you tell him he needs to get vaccinated. If he does, you tell him you have to waive him and then send in to Bakersfield if he isn't claimed. I don't see there being a choice for them They can't afford have a roster spot and the cap space dedicated to a guy that will miss half the season and you can't put him on LTIR like you could if he was hurt.

Another thing. Would a team take him? If there ends up being single digits in non vaccinated guys, that means most teams will be fully vaccinated even in the States. I wouldn't want my management being in an unvaccinated player to my fully vaccinated team and potentially put the team at risk.

So this is mind blowing to me because there are guys who are literally putting their careers on the line for this.

Aren't you a guy that values intangibles like heart and grit and intensity and being an "NHL player"? It's odd that you of all people on the Oilers forum have no time for hardened principles.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792126 is a reply to message #792106 ]
Thu, 23 September 2021 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I'd also be a little concerned about the spread to other players. Yes they are vaccinated, but that doesn't mean immune. What if Connor (again) or Leon gets it and are out of the lineup for 2 weeks, or worse have lasting issues afterwards?

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792128 is a reply to message #792126 ]
Thu, 23 September 2021 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Thu, 23 September 2021 10:21

I'd also be a little concerned about the spread to other players. Yes they are vaccinated, but that doesn't mean immune. What if Connor (again) or Leon gets it and are out of the lineup for 2 weeks, or worse have lasting issues afterwards?

Even if they don't actually have COVID, if Archibald ends up being positive and any player on the team has a cold or anything that creates some kind of symptoms, you probably end up having to sit those guys out waiting for a test because you know you had a positive guy in the room.

Just adds a potential pain in the butt to the season that could cost you points in the end. Archibald is not even remotely worth that.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792211 is a reply to message #791822 ]
Fri, 24 September 2021 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I will say, on this original story - I actually DO appreciate Ken Holland saying this and actually finally putting pressure on the team and himself to perform and start delivering to reasonable expectations. I've been very critical for most of the last decade of the Oilers continued hedging of bets in all management statements due to a paralyzing fear of saying something that their feet could actually be held to the fire on later.

I don't think Holland did a great job this summer in putting the team in position to best answer his challenge, based on some of his blunders on defence, goaltending, and cap management - but I still think there's a responsibility on the management to say that we're going for it and then to act accordingly - so credit where credit is due. Old Dutch did this right at least!

Re: Holland: "The Time is Now" [message #792213 is a reply to message #792211 ]
Fri, 24 September 2021 12:18 Go to previous message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 24 September 2021 11:23

I will say, on this original story - I actually DO appreciate Ken Holland saying this and actually finally putting pressure on the team and himself to perform and start delivering to reasonable expectations. I've been very critical for most of the last decade of the Oilers continued hedging of bets in all management statements due to a paralyzing fear of saying something that their feet could actually be held to the fire on later.

I don't think Holland did a great job this summer in putting the team in position to best answer his challenge, based on some of his blunders on defence, goaltending, and cap management - but I still think there's a responsibility on the management to say that we're going for it and then to act accordingly - so credit where credit is due. Old Dutch did this right at least!

Ah, just wait till December! You’ll be praising the DK/CC pairing and be beyond thrilled with the Nurse/Barrie pair. Did I mention Koekkoek/Bouch? Get an extra fan bc you’ll be overheating soon!

Then, out of curiosity you’ll take a gander at Carolina Hurricanes stats and see Bear’s numbers lower than any oilers top 6 Dmen and think.. wow, we got McLovin’ (who at the time will have 8 goals already) for him?

Life. Is. Good. Oilfans.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Previous Topic:Ceci to Oilers
Next Topic:Chiarelli Fired
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca