This day on March 28
None

Happy Birthday To: miker0x, GuyF, bigmike, graveyardshift, bluemiler, jrrd, Bobfromengland

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748383 is a reply to message #748378 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

watchman wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 22:58

...no PP time. Having both Neal and Chaisson both out there kinda slows the PP down.

Ah I see whatcha mean. Khaira as the big body in front could be good, but Neal has been boss there with his hands. Khaira could be on the 2nd unit?

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Send a private message to this user  

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748406 is a reply to message #748374 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 21:42

Personally don’t like Chiasson and Neal on that first unit. Would rather them keep Neal as the net front guy and replace Nuge’s slot presence with a guy like Bear, till Nuge is back obviously

I don't understand why with Nuge out, we don't have Gagner on PP1. He's more of a playmaker, and he's excelled in a powerplay role before. His best seasons have come when he's been given a role on a top unit.

Chiasson feels redundant to Neal out there. I think Gagner would give you something else.

That said, the Oilers PP was 2-for-2 and Chiasson had two assists, so they're probably not changing it for next game.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748409 is a reply to message #748406 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 23:37

Personally don’t like Chiasson and Neal on that first unit. Would rather them keep Neal as the net front guy and replace Nuge’s slot presence with a guy like Bear, till Nuge is back obviously

I don't understand why with Nuge out, we don't have Gagner on PP1. He's more of a playmaker, and he's excelled in a powerplay role before. His best seasons have come when he's been given a role on a top unit.

Chiasson feels redundant to Neal out there. I think Gagner would give you something else.

That said, the Oilers PP was 2-for-2 and Chiasson had two assists, so they're probably not changing it for next game.

Unless Nuge is back. I would think the thinking on it is that Gags would be the center for the 2nd unit, for the little time that unit gets. Though... I’ve watched all but one game this year and I can’t honestly say the regular 5 on the 2nd unit.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748412 is a reply to message #748409 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 22:40

Adam wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 23:37

Unless Nuge is back. I would think the thinking on it is that Gags would be the center for the 2nd unit, for the little time that unit gets. Though... I’ve watched all but one game this year and I can’t honestly say the regular 5 on the 2nd unit.

Tippett's basically decided we don't have a second unit. The first plays at minimum 90-100 seconds, so when they leave the ice, we're pretty much just prepping to go back to even.

Here is the top five guys on PPTOI/G this year (no surprises):
Nugent-Hopkins - 3:50
McDavid - 3:44
Draisaitl - 3: 42
Klefbom - 3:32
Neal - 3:09

Next is the substitute: Chiasson - 1:28 - his number is higher because he's the fill-in when anyone else can't go, as well as the guy who started in Neal's spot.

After that comes the rest of the second unit:
Nurse - 0:53
Gagner - 0:44
Bear - 0:40
Nygard - 0:39
Kassian - 0:30
Haas - 0:25
Persson - 0:22

Anyone else on the team has seen less than 15 seconds per game, so mostly just late faceoffs or line changes just before the other team regains their player.

It's telling that there's 2 defencemen atop the second unit stats. By the time they go on, the Oilers are expecting the other team to complete the kill. Outside of the top 5, only Chiasson, Nurse & Bear have PP points this year - all recorded while on with the top unit.

In case you're wondering, while it's normal for top units to have more time on the ice, the skew here is extreme. I looked at about a dozen other teams, including ones that have a significant drop-off from their top end to their depth (Tampa, Colorado, Chicago, Boston, etc.) and no one else has so few players averaging more than 1 minute a game of PP time.

It's hard to fault Tippett here - it's working. The Oilers after tonight's game are 2nd in the league with 30.8% conversion on their powerplay. McDavid's assist gave him 22 powerplay points, while Draisaitl now has 18. They're 1 & 2 in the league now and it's not really close. Pastrnak and Pettersson have 16 each in 3rd.

I still wonder if the minutes played start to have an effect on the stars as we get later in the season and whether they can play this much in the playoffs, but for now it's hard to envision it changing while it's working this well - so the 2nd unit is basically a PP unit in name only.

EDIT:

Worth adding - the Oilers still get way less powerplays than they deserve, so this helps with the minutes. McDavid's played 22 minutes LESS PP time than Elias Pettersson this year because the refs give the Canucks WAAAAY more calls. Four of the top five players for PPTOI are Canucks right now. McDavid & Draisaitl are 11th and 12th in the league in total minutes and 25th and 27th in time on ice per game.

It is nice of the refs to help us preserve our guys by giving us dramatically fewer powerplays than other teams get!

[Updated on: Sun, 01 December 2019 23:05]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748380 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Leon with the HUGE PP!

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748382 is a reply to message #748380 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

...of course I may be wrong. ha

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748381 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I guess making 14 useless passes sometimes works.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748385 is a reply to message #748381 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

of course I'm not really happy whenever McD doesn't get an assist. lmao

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748386 is a reply to message #748385 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Now. Can this puppy be shut down? confused2

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748388 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Sportsnet shows a relay of an Oiler getting highsticked and the refs staring at it from 10 feet behind, but no call.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748389 is a reply to message #748388 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 22:05

Sportsnet shows a relay of an Oiler getting highsticked and the refs staring at it from 10 feet behind, but no call.

Probably figured Chaisson has a cage protecting him, so no big deal. Nice extension by Markstrom there to trip Archibald. Ref watching that too of course.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748391 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Nygaard has a step on the D, gets mugged, ref standing right beside them, no call.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748392 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

String bean gets Bear in the numbers, 2 feet from the boards. No call.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748394 is a reply to message #748392 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Holding on so far. icon_neutral

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748400 is a reply to message #748394 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

wow... never easy. 2 well-earned points. 19 should have been a star.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748396 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

.... can’t buy an empty netter

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748399 is a reply to message #748330 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mcDrai just refuse to pad stats with EN goals

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748408 is a reply to message #748399 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 22:30

It's like they're allergic to scoring in to empty nets. They find every way possible to not score them. They need Gretzky to talk to them about how many he scored - he was never one to pull a punch with stats on the line. 97 and 29 need the same killer instinct on ENs. It'll help me make it through the final minutes of these games too if we'd just put it away rather than let the other team press right to the final buzzer.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748422 is a reply to message #748408 ]
Mon, 02 December 2019 07:55 Go to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

Adam wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 23:39

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 22:30

It's like they're allergic to scoring in to empty nets. They find every way possible to not score them. They need Gretzky to talk to them about how many he scored - he was never one to pull a punch with stats on the line. 97 and 29 need the same killer instinct on ENs. It'll help me make it through the final minutes of these games too if we'd just put it away rather than let the other team press right to the final buzzer.

Perhaps they subscribe to the Al Iafrate theory of empty net goals
"in a post-game interview after a close victory, a reporter asked Iafrate why he purposely shot wide of an empty net in the last minute of a game. The legend quickly responded: “Empty net goals are for XXXXXXX.”

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748401 is a reply to message #748330 ]

2 Cups

Why on earth was McDavid on the ice for 1:30 and Drai on the ice for the full final 2 minutes? Get some defensive guys out there.

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748403 is a reply to message #748401 ]

5 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 23:31

Why on earth was McDavid on the ice for 1:30 and Drai on the ice for the full final 2 minutes? Get some defensive guys out there.

Tried to get Drai the EN for the hatty. 2 full days off before next game. Worth the shot.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: GDT: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29) [message #748405 is a reply to message #748401 ]
Sun, 01 December 2019 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Sun, 01 December 2019 22:31

Tippett was giving them a shot at Drai's hat trick. Then McDavid and Drai decided they aren't gonna change when the chance presented itself. McDavid finally did, and Drai didn't again. Ah well.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29)
Next Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Vancouver (Game #29)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca