This day on September 20
None

Happy Birthday To: dk19, mabfan, nemorrison, oilfan94, hackm, oilchamp_34, kev9in, SuperOilerFan

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #745897]
Tue, 29 October 2019 21:31 Go to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

This goal doesn't deserve to be buried in the GDT. Check this out by Andrei Svechnikov.

https://streamable.com/mqvy6

I remember back in the early internet days downloading a grainy video of Crosby scoring one like this as a 13 year old or something. Pretty cool to see this pulled off in the NHL, and I imagine we will see this more and more now. It takes some balls to try that.

Clean house or bust

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #745900 is a reply to message #745897 ]
Tue, 29 October 2019 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Wow! And be sort of banked it off the side of Talbot's head too.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #745904 is a reply to message #745900 ]
Tue, 29 October 2019 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

'Twas Rittich not Dadbot. Nice, but nothing Omark or the great Robbie Schremp couldn't do!

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #745993 is a reply to message #745897 ]
Wed, 30 October 2019 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Tue, 29 October 2019 21:31

This goal doesn't deserve to be buried in the GDT. Check this out by Andrei Svechnikov.

https://streamable.com/mqvy6

I remember back in the early internet days downloading a grainy video of Crosby scoring one like this as a 13 year old or something. Pretty cool to see this pulled off in the NHL, and I imagine we will see this more and more now. It takes some balls to try that.

It should be fun to see Don Cherry melt down about this on Saturday. I remember him losing it when Crosby did that in the Q, saying that if he tries that in the NHL, someone will take his teeth out.

I'm a big fan of scoring anyway you can. If you don't want to be "shown up", then find a way to stop it.

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan #FireBobbyNicks and...SIGH...#FireTheGretzkys

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #745999 is a reply to message #745897 ]
Thu, 31 October 2019 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

Love it. Super gutsy to do when you're down by 1 in the third period, but hey, you're a hero if it works.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746042 is a reply to message #745897 ]
Thu, 31 October 2019 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I don't know if I'm about to become devil's advocate here, and it's obvious I have a fondness of honour, tradition and unwritten codes and all that. Buuuut I didn't hate the old ways of suppressing hot doggin'.

They call it a lacrosse goal because it shouldn't be in hockey. You really want guys standing behind the net whipping sticks around the goalie's ears? Hockey sticks belong on the ice. If a lacrosse style goal attempt hits a goalie in the head, is that irresponsible use of the stick nullifying the goal and costing the player two minutes for high sticking? If the goalie bleeds isn't that a double minor? Could a goalie be concussed like this?

Imagine if someone tried this crap on Moog or Fuhrsie? Semenko, McSorley or Mess would have something to say about that! I know different eras get with the times yadda yadda.

I'm no Don Cherry fan boy, loved rock 'em sock em videos back in the VHS days. I got one every Christmas. It may be time he thinks about retirement. But those Hurricanes sure are a bunch of jerks.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746043 is a reply to message #746042 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilPeg  is currently offline OilPeg

No Cups

Xombie wrote on Thu, 31 October 2019 23:48

I don't know if I'm about to become devil's advocate here, and it's obvious I have a fondness of honour, tradition and unwritten codes and all that. Buuuut I didn't hate the old ways of suppressing hot doggin'.

They call it a lacrosse goal because it shouldn't be in hockey. You really want guys standing behind the net whipping sticks around the goalie's ears? Hockey sticks belong on the ice. If a lacrosse style goal attempt hits a goalie in the head, is that irresponsible use of the stick nullifying the goal and costing the player two minutes for high sticking? If the goalie bleeds isn't that a double minor? Could a goalie be concussed like this?

Imagine if someone tried this crap on Moog or Fuhrsie? Semenko, McSorley or Mess would have something to say about that! I know different eras get with the times yadda yadda.

I'm no Don Cherry fan boy, loved rock 'em sock em videos back in the VHS days. I got one every Christmas. It may be time he thinks about retirement. But those Hurricanes sure are a bunch of jerks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b3sOxMZ9hI
I known it's not exactly the same, but there was this one time that James Neal broke his stick over the head of Hellebuyck and then the Knights scored. They reviewed the goal and it counted...

Skookum Jim wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 00:29

But he (Belanger)'s as soft as room temp. margarine.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746057 is a reply to message #746043 ]
Fri, 01 November 2019 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

That Hellebuyck one should have technically been either high sticking or slashing nullifying the goal. But we all know refs don't call every single infraction.

Apples to oranges here, but if Tom Wilson grabs the puck and tucks it under his armpit and barrels through the goalie into the net do we ooo and aaah at his nifty "football style goal"? Or if Nurse grabs the puck and slams his fist into the net is that an unbelievable "basketball slam dunk style goal"?

Of course not because that defied the rules of hockey. Svechnikov's goal is not as egregious but similar because of the careless use of the stick and high sticking grey areas in the rule book. A better example might be how kicked in goals are disallowed because the danger of guys kicking with blades on their feet around the goalie. These are not celebrated as "gorgeous soccer style" goals.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746066 is a reply to message #746057 ]
Sat, 02 November 2019 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

A number of comments;

Xombie wrote on Fri, 01 November 2019 21:27

That Hellebuyck one should have technically been either high sticking or slashing nullifying the goal. But we all know refs don't call every single infraction.

Agreed. I think that play is very different than the Scechnikov one so not a good comparable.

Apples to oranges here, but if Tom Wilson grabs the puck and tucks it under his armpit and barrels through the goalie into the net do we ooo and aaah at his nifty "football style goal"? Or if Nurse grabs the puck and slams his fist into the net is that an unbelievable "basketball slam dunk style goal"?

Like you said Apples to oranges. I would guess most of us posting here could score your football or basketball style goals. I would also guess that very few of us could score a lacross goal given all the time in the world, forget about in a game.
The skill required to pull this off is top level, which is why it doesnt happen much in any league.

Of course not because that defied the rules of hockey. Svechnikov's goal is not as egregious but similar because of the careless use of the stick and high sticking grey areas in the rule book.

It is not a grey area at all for two reasons. The puck doesnt come over the cross bar so it isnt a high stick on the puck.
A follow through on a shot that hits a player is not considered a high sticking penalty so that isnt a grey area either.
Both high sticking type calls are covered specifically and allow for this play.

A better example might be how kicked in goals are disallowed because the danger of guys kicking with blades on their feet around the goalie. These are not celebrated as "gorgeous soccer style" goals.

First off the danger. A player carying the puck lacross style and flinging it at the net may catch a goalie with the follow though but the level of risk and danger is well below a skate near the goalies hands or legs.

Second the "gorgeous soccer style" comment. Much like the football and basketball examples this is one is A. Legal and B. MUCH harder to execute.

I have kicked in countless goals over the years, hoping a ref misses it. Given 30 seconds and 10 tries I MIGHT be able to pull of the lacrosse move once, if I had a bit of luck on my side.

From a respect for the game, or classless jerk level I am fine with it but totally understand those that dont like. I just see it as an evolution of the game.
I am guessing the first guy that wound up for a thunderous slap shot was seen as showing off for no reason.

I like ANY play that is within the rules and makes the game more entertaining.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746107 is a reply to message #746066 ]
Sun, 03 November 2019 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Sat, 02 November 2019 11:20

The puck doesnt come over the cross bar so it isnt a high stick on the puck.
A follow through on a shot that hits a player is not considered a high sticking penalty so that isnt a grey area either.

Ahh now that is a good point on the follow through of a shot not being high sticking. I never thought about that side of the coin. If the rule book considers lifting the puck up and scooping it to be a shot that is.

For high sticking the puck resulting in a goal, under crossbar is the rule. However; isn't high sticking on a player governed by their shoulder height even if they're hunched over, like even under crossbar height?

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746113 is a reply to message #746107 ]
Sun, 03 November 2019 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

2 Cups

Xombie wrote on Sun, 03 November 2019 05:14

Ahh now that is a good point on the follow through of a shot not being high sticking. I never thought about that side of the coin. If the rule book considers lifting the puck up and scooping it to be a shot that is.

For high sticking the puck resulting in a goal, under crossbar is the rule. However; isn't high sticking on a player governed by their shoulder height even if they're hunched over, like even under crossbar height?

Good question. I had to look this up to try and find out;

60.1 High-sticking - A “high stick” is one which is carried above the height
of the opponent’s shoulders. Players must be in control and
responsible for their stick. However, a player is permitted accidental
contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or
follow through of a shooting motion, or accidental contact on the
opposing center who is bent over during the course of a face-off. A
wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal
windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the
height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly.

"above the opponents shoulders" is a bit ambiguous. Is it high based on where his head normally would be or where it is in real time?

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746176 is a reply to message #746113 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 03 November 2019 17:03

"above the opponents shoulders" is a bit ambiguous. Is it high based on where his head normally would be or where it is in real time?

Yeah I gotta admit a bit of grey area on this one. Svechnikov's got a good goal until they address this specific play in the rule book.

I think its real time for head height. I've seen some high sticking calls for high sticking on a guy hunched over skating. With all the attention on concussions and preventing them, plus the NHL trying to "get ahead" of the NFL on concussions it might be a play they outlaw to protect the 'tenders.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746180 is a reply to message #746176 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Mon, 04 November 2019 19:37

PlusOne wrote on Sun, 03 November 2019 17:03

Yeah I gotta admit a bit of grey area on this one. Svechnikov's got a good goal until they address this specific play in the rule book.

I think its real time for head height. I've seen some high sticking calls for high sticking on a guy hunched over skating. With all the attention on concussions and preventing them, plus the NHL trying to "get ahead" of the NFL on concussions it might be a play they outlaw to protect the 'tenders.

Just call it six feet and stick a camera at that level. Then we can measure objectively rather than subjectively.

This is fine.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746221 is a reply to message #746180 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I like that idea except the Theo Fleury's and Martin St. Louis('s?) of the world are forever under 6 feet so you could carve their teeth out and it wouldn't technically be high sticking ever.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746222 is a reply to message #746221 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Xombie wrote on Mon, 04 November 2019 22:39

I like that idea except the Theo Fleury's and Martin St. Louis('s?) of the world are forever under 6 feet so you could carve their teeth out and it wouldn't technically be high sticking ever.

If you hit a guy in the head with a stick, it’s a high stick. 4 minutes if you draw blood. I’m talking about deflections and whatnot.

This is fine.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746223 is a reply to message #746222 ]
Mon, 04 November 2019 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Oi, gotcha. So as long as the puck is under the 6 foot line you could lacrosse it all night. I guess I'm ok with that.

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746353 is a reply to message #745897 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

1 Cup

https://streamable.com/24ip3

It’s spreading!

Re: Svechnikov with a Goal of the Year Candidate [message #746365 is a reply to message #746353 ]
Thu, 07 November 2019 23:12 Go to previous message

1 Cup

JPro wrote on Thu, 07 November 2019 11:46

https://streamable.com/24ip3

It’s spreading!

Those jerky bunch of jerks! What do you have for a pre game meal? Beef jerky and jerked chicken? Why didn't you jerkfaces claim Jurco you dumb jerks!

Oh, and move back to Hartford!

Jerks!

Previous Topic:Survivor LXII (62)
Next Topic:Toby Rieder on Waivers
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2019.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca