F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Summer Targets (Oilers)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #738995]
Wed, 19 June 2019 01:08 Go to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

3 Cups

So now the Cup is won, and the draft is approaching, the NHL is well into it's mad season for the next two weeks.

Here are a list of guys I think the Oilers should be putting calls in about and testing the waters:

Wingers (UFA):
Pat Maroon
Marcus Johansson
Jonas Donskoi

Wingers (Trade):
Tyler Toffoli
Andre Burakovsky
Chris Kreider
Robbie Fabbri
Josh Ho-Sang
Nik Ehlers

Center (Trade):
Jack Roslovic

Goalie (Trade):
James Reimer

Top-4 RH defensemen (deals expire next summer):
Tyson Barrie
Jared Spurgeon
Mark Pysyk
Justin Faulk
Sami Vatanen

Also, Dougie Hamilton who has two years left.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #738999 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

I can't see Pat Maroon leaving St. Louis until he retires. He doesn't even need to leave to try and chase a Cup. Even then, I see him working for the Blues the rest of his life. He loves being there, and they love having him there.

Other UFAs at the start of the summer are going to cost too much. Best case for the Oilers in free agency is getting lucky with someone like Chaisson again. I don't see Chaisson staying either, as he will likely get $2-3M over 3 years from someone. For him that is the big career contract.

I wonder what it would cost to get Fabbri from St. Louis. Before his injury problems he was trending upwards really well, but this past season he was really low on the depth chart. I would stay away from Ho-Sang, this past season looked like a step back (and I don't think it's good for the Condors to add someone with his kind of attitude). Toffoli, Kreider, and Burakovsky all seem like good options, though with Burakovsky there is the issue with the team not doing well with Russians. Ehlers would be great, but not sure how we fit him under the cap.

I would be happy if we got a guy like Reimer. He isn't amazing, but he can push for #1, which I think is what the Oilers need in order to get the best out of their goalies this next season.

I would love to get any one of those list of defensemen. If we were able to trade Russell for picks (similar to the Braun deal) and then get one of those guys with those picks plus a little something else then I would be very happy. I feel like there is always a lot of hate for Hamilton, but I would certainly take him.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739002 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 01:08

So now the Cup is won, and the draft is approaching, the NHL is well into it's mad season for the next two weeks.

Here are a list of guys I think the Oilers should be putting calls in about and testing the waters:

Wingers (UFA):
Pat Maroon
Marcus Johansson
Jonas Donskoi

Wingers (Trade):
Tyler Toffoli
Andre Burakovsky
Chris Kreider
Robbie Fabbri
Josh Ho-Sang
Nik Ehlers

Center (Trade):
Jack Roslovic

Goalie (Trade):
James Reimer

Top-4 RH defensemen (deals expire next summer):
Tyson Barrie
Jared Spurgeon
Mark Pysyk
Justin Faulk
Sami Vatanen

Also, Dougie Hamilton who has two years left.

For UFA's. I have no interest in guys over 30. Maroon is 31. Plus Maroon is coming off a 1.75 mill contract. He had 10 gals, 28 pts. That is what he should make this year but someone will pay him more because he had an OK playoff, has a cup and teams are copy cats. Plus he doesn't skate well.

I'd add Connelly to the UFA list and I would have him high on it.

I would not go after any of the dmen you listed expect maybe Pysyk. I say Pysyk because he is 27, the acquisition cost might not be too bad and being from Sherwood Park, maybe you could resign him. The rest, I wouldn't touch because the cost to get them would be a lot and there is no guarantee you could resign them. Barrie as an example. It would cost a lot to get him and he could walk.

I have said it a few times, I would target Miller from Vegas who are in big, big cap hell. He's not elite but he's is a serviceable #4, right shot dman. He's not old and he's SIGNED for under 4 mill. So if in a year or 2, he gets passed on the depth chart, his contract is so much that you can't slide him down. If as an example you went out and got Spurgeon who is coming off a career year so it will cost you a lot. Then being he's an Edmonton guy, when guys get older, maybe you have a shot to resign so he can play at home. He turns 30 in November and he's making 5.18 mill. So to resign him, chances are he's not taking a pay cut. So he will be 30 this year. When you sign him, he will be in his 31 yr old season. So there is a good chance he will start to decline and get passed on the depth chart. So in a year or so, you might have a 6+ mill 30 something in your 3rd pair. Do they not have that right now with Sekera which is a bit of a concern?

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739005 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
Holland might not make any big deals at draft but groundwork's been laid to trade for Leafs' winger Connor Brown by Keith Gretzky in February. Third-line possibility. If dollars-in, dollars-out deal, might be D Matt Benning, but Benning very under-appreciated here IM0

If we end up with Connor Brown, it will be all thanks to Kretzky.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739007 is a reply to message #739005 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Whether the Brown - Benning trade happens or Russell/Sekera gets traded, it doesn't even come to money, it's more so roster spots. If you count Manning, the Oilers have 8 dmen signed to NHL deals. If they want to do any sort of change to the make up of their defense core, something has to give on the defense.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739056 is a reply to message #739007 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 18:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigred75  is currently offline bigred75

No Cups

#8 and Pulujarvi to CAR for Pesce, 36th and 37th picks.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739058 is a reply to message #739056 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 18:46

You maybe get that 37th pick for Pulju straight up :)

Entitled player that has done nothing in the NHL that just had double hip surgery isn't worth much. He should be playing in EUrope next year.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739064 is a reply to message #739056 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

4 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 18:46

Gene could bust out the My Cousin Vinny jokes.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739077 is a reply to message #739064 ]
Thu, 20 June 2019 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Silly Eklund says he's hearing this:

I heard a trade rumor... Edmonton would trade Puljujarvi to the Capitals for Andre Burakovsky a second round pick and a goalie prospect...If I get a better clarification on the all-important pieces I will update, but so far that is what I have...There is definite interest in Puljujarvi from the Caps.

Highly doubt it would include a second rounder or a prospect. Could be a straight swap of Pulju for Bura. No too bad of a rumour, but its Ek and it sounds like the Oil wins the trade and we know that doesn't happen so its bunk.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739155 is a reply to message #739077 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vagabond  is currently offline vagabond

No Cups

bigred75 wrote on Thu, 20 June 2019 15:26

I heard a trade rumor... Edmonton would trade Puljujarvi to the Capitals for Andre Burakovsky a second round pick and a goalie prospect...If I get a better clarification on the all-important pieces I will update, but so far that is what I have...There is definite interest in Puljujarvi from the Caps.

Highly doubt it would include a second rounder or a prospect. Could be a straight swap of Pulju for Bura. No too bad of a rumour, but its Ek and it sounds like the Oil wins the trade and we know that doesn't happen so its bunk.

And that is why so many hate Eklund

Right now the oilers would be lucky to get a 2nd or a 3rd for Pizza boy--if that is the deal--we take it and run

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739158 is a reply to message #739155 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

vagabond wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 10:24

Right now the oilers would be lucky to get a 2nd or a 3rd for Pizza boy--if that is the deal--we take it and run

Yep. That deal would be done by now if that were the case. The League may even pull a EA Sports NHL 19 move and veto the move. Highway robbery.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739159 is a reply to message #739158 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
McDavid97  is currently offline McDavid97

1 Cup

inverno76 wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 10:38

Yep. That deal would be done by now if that were the case. The League may even pull a EA Sports NHL 19 move and veto the move. Highway robbery.

I don't know if that deal is that great, Burakovsky was making $3M, he's RFA so to qualify him he would be making $3M + , if you go to arbitration he's going to be around that number. Seems like a lot of money for 25 points. Pulju would sign cheaper then that with them so if they see him on the NHL squad they are saving cap hit for the 2nd round pick. Also sounds like they were trying to get rid of Burakovsky this year.
You are however getting a player for Pulju and a pick.
The Oilers should be looking at shedding salary and getting cheaper contracts at that point range.

Edit: Although his points puts him 6th on the Oilers forwards......

[Updated on: Fri, 21 June 2019 11:07]

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739183 is a reply to message #739155 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Sounds like Washington is considering not qualifying Burakovsky (probably more the number than the player). If Oilers did want to qualify him, they could probably acquire him for cheap.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739042 is a reply to message #739005 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 10:37

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty
Holland might not make any big deals at draft but groundwork's been laid to trade for Leafs' winger Connor Brown by Keith Gretzky in February. Third-line possibility. If dollars-in, dollars-out deal, might be D Matt Benning, but Benning very under-appreciated here IM0

What am I missing here that makes a 25 y.o. right winger with a career high of 36 points (3 years ago) equivalent in value to a 25 y.o. right shot defenceman with a career high of 21 points (2 yrs ago)? You would hope we would get a pretty big sweetener if we're making that deal.

Funny Connor Brown stat - since we were talking about junior +/- just the other day - he was a -72 in his first OHL season on a HORRIBLE Erie team(10-52-6). That's impressive.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739047 is a reply to message #739042 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 16:56

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 19 June 2019 10:37

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

What am I missing here that makes a 25 y.o. right winger with a career high of 36 points (3 years ago) equivalent in value to a 25 y.o. right shot defenceman with a career high of 21 points (2 yrs ago)? You would hope we would get a pretty big sweetener if we're making that deal.

Funny Connor Brown stat - since we were talking about junior +/- just the other day - he was a -72 in his first OHL season on a HORRIBLE Erie team(10-52-6). That's impressive.

Good PKer and he's McDavid's buddy. Don't worry, you'll be thanking Kretzky soon enough.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739059 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

Prob too rich for Edmonton's blood but Mrazek would be good to grab. Need to be strong between the pipes.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739070 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Wed, 19 June 2019 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hitmen4  is currently offline hitmen4

No Cups

Looking at San Jose and their cap situation I wonder if there is a way to squeeze Kevin Labanc out of there? Someone is going to be the odd man out. Gotta think Meier is the big RFA priority for the Sharks, and with Pavelski needing a new deal can they afford Labanc at ~$4mil?

An offer sheet is an option (anything under $4,227,437 is a 2nd round pick only) as is a trade. I'd think that Benning + Yamamoto would be a decent offer, or at least the framework for one.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 June 2019 23:02]

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739182 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So many Top-4 RHD available right now:

Tyson Barrie
Justin Faulk
Nick Leddy
Dougie Hamilton
PK Subban
Colin Miller

All on the trade block apparently.

Here's where we see what Holland is capable of.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739184 is a reply to message #739182 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 16:02

Tyson Barrie
Justin Faulk
Nick Leddy
Dougie Hamilton
PK Subban
Colin Miller

What's available for wingers? I think our deepest holes are there, not on D. The prospect depth on the blueline is also pretty solid.

When healthy, the Oilers defence isn't amazing, but it's competent. The wingers was a motley crew of cast-offs and minor-leaguers, and it got worse with Puljujarvi planning to hold out. There's nothing in the farm that looks capable of holding down an NHL top-six role at any time in the future beyond Yamamoto and even there he's got a long way to go. We don't even have a lot of guys in junior. The team only picked two forwards last year (McLeod, who looks okay as a point per game guy in the OHL and Patrick Siikanen who's in the Finnish junior leagues still). From the year prior, we have Safin - who had a tough year this year, Maksimov (79 points in 68 OHL games in draft+2 season), an Brind'Amour (gotta love bloodlines - he's still in the BCJHL at under a point per game).

From the year before that, Puljujarvi is leaving, Benson MIGHT be a bottom sixer. McPhee (bloodlines!) and Rasanen both had terrible seasons in college.

The cupboards are completely bare, so the Oilers need some good forwards - and it's a pressing need throughout the organization.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739189 is a reply to message #739184 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 16:16

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 16:02

Tyson Barrie
Justin Faulk
Nick Leddy
Dougie Hamilton
PK Subban
Colin Miller

What's available for wingers? I think our deepest holes are there, not on D. The prospect depth on the blueline is also pretty solid.

When healthy, the Oilers defence isn't amazing, but it's competent. The wingers was a motley crew of cast-offs and minor-leaguers, and it got worse with Puljujarvi planning to hold out. There's nothing in the farm that looks capable of holding down an NHL top-six role at any time in the future beyond Yamamoto and even there he's got a long way to go. We don't even have a lot of guys in junior. The team only picked two forwards last year (McLeod, who looks okay as a point per game guy in the OHL and Patrick Siikanen who's in the Finnish junior leagues still). From the year prior, we have Safin - who had a tough year this year, Maksimov (79 points in 68 OHL games in draft+2 season), an Brind'Amour (gotta love bloodlines - he's still in the BCJHL at under a point per game).

From the year before that, Puljujarvi is leaving, Benson MIGHT be a bottom sixer. McPhee (bloodlines!) and Rasanen both had terrible seasons in college.

The cupboards are completely bare, so the Oilers need some good forwards - and it's a pressing need throughout the organization.

There's a few things percolating in the system, but nothing I'd feel happy about betting on the NHL next year.

Benson will be an NHL player. His NHLe from last year is 37 points, and while there are flaws with that measurement, I don't think a second or third line winger is out of the question. Yamamoto hasn't really put it together as a pro yet, but still is a high level prospect. Marody looks close (I'd still leave him there to start next year). Maksimov and McLeod look like potential prospect. They will likely add another top-10 pick winger tonight. So it's not nothing. But it isn't a ton of high end and they really are lacking in the here and now (which probably would have made qualifying Rattie for so cheap a sensible decision). Hopefully they can flip Puljujarvi for a similar player.

Theres just holes everywhere. I think they need to clear out the bottom pairing to make way for some of the cheap prospects ready for the NHL (Jones, Bear), and I'd prefer they add a Top-4 guy to provide a little cover so the young prospects aren't overexposed and over their head as they enter the NHL.

And then we also still dont have a starting goalie.

Really incredible what Chiarelli accomplished.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739236 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Fri, 21 June 2019 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

So this is how I see the Oilers for next year right now:

Draisaitl / McDavid / ___________
________ / Nugent-Hopkins / __________
Nygard / ____________ / Gagner
(Lucic or replacement) / Khaira / Kassian

Extras: Cave, Currie
AHL: Marody, Benson, McLeod, Maksimov, Yamamoto, Gambardella, P. Russell

Klefbom / Larsson
Nurse / ________
Sekera / _________

Extra: Persson
AHL: Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Samorukov, Lagesson, Day, Manning, Lowe

Traded: Lucic, Brodziak, Puljujarvi, Benning, Russell

So, 1RW, 2LW, 2RW, 3LW, 3C, 2RD, 3RD, 1G. You can't really afford much in free agency right now, so you're likely looking at trade will you gradually clear out bad contracts.

1 RW - No idea where this is coming from. Best target I can come up with Toffoli in LA.

2 LW - No idea where this is coming from. Burakovsky is a stretch, but maybe most realistic target.

2 RW - No idea where this is coming from.

4 LW - Hopefully Loui Eriksson in a Milan Lucic trade. If not, you have to play Lucic somewhere.

3C - Would love to see them land Jack Roslovic. Maybe this is where we use some prospects to land a player. Turris is out there too, but NSH would have to retain salary.

2RD - There's a lot of players out there - Barrie, Subban, Leddy, Letang, Faulk, Hamilton, Miller. Would love for the Oilers to land one of these guys (if you use RNH to land Barrie or Subban, you probably need to try and use Larsson to land Kadri, which I realize is gross, and then you still need to land someone else... Miller? Leddy? Probably using prospects here also).

3RD - I'm just as happy to keep Benning here, but have a feeling he is going to be moved for Connor Brown (who fits in... I'm not sure where since he is bottom-six). If Benning is moved, you can probably slot Bear in here; if you keep Benning, you maybe look at using Bear as a trade chip.

1aG - James Reimer. Ideally I'd like to send back money to Florida in the form of Kris Russell.

Anyways, I don't know how Ken Holland is going to turn this team into a playoff team, but he's got some work and should be busy.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 June 2019 22:36]

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739304 is a reply to message #739236 ]
Sun, 23 June 2019 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Assuming 8MM in cap space and that we can't clear any salary:

mightyreasoner wrote on Fri, 21 June 2019 22:29

1 RW - No idea where this is coming from. Best target I can come up with Toffoli in LA.

This is probably going to end up a revolving door again. Maybe Gagner can slide up here? He's put up some offense before and his 3.15MM is better than the 6+ a legit 1RW would likely command.

Cap: 8
Quote:

2 LW - No idea where this is coming from. Burakovsky is a stretch, but maybe most realistic target.

My move for Puljujarvi right now would be for Lawson Crouse. Similar stat lines for players who have under performed post draft. Arizona may be willing to take the gamble as Puljujarvi has a higher ceiling. Crouse would be playing higher in the line up than I'd like, though.

Cap: 8 - 1.5 = 6.5
Quote:

3C - Would love to see them land Jack Roslovic. Maybe this is where we use some prospects to land a player. Turris is out there too, but NSH would have to retain salary.

Benning + 3rd for Kadri? Replaces Zaitsev if they find a buyer, though moving Marleau makes it a lot easier to keep Kadri and still sign Marner.

Cap: 6.5 + 1.9 - 4.5 = 3.9

Not sure the Jets will be willing to part with Roslovic. And I'll pass on Turris; too much term, for too much money, at too old an age.
Quote:

2 RW - No idea where this is coming from.

Vanik? Suspect we blow what little cap space we have at 2LW or 2RW come July 1, and probably on someone north of 32.

Cap: 3.9 - 3 = 0.9
Quote:

4 LW - Hopefully Loui Eriksson in a Milan Lucic trade. If not, you have to play Lucic somewhere.

Where's the amnesty buyouts when you need them...
Quote:

2RD - There's a lot of players out there - Barrie, Subban, Leddy, Letang, Faulk, Hamilton, Miller. Would love for the Oilers to land one of these guys (if you use RNH to land Barrie or Subban, you probably need to try and use Larsson to land Kadri, which I realize is gross, and then you still need to land someone else... Miller? Leddy? Probably using prospects here also).

I doubt we can land a 2RD without blowing a hole in the line up, and while staying under the cap. Kris Russell is probably going to end up here because of that... unless we can move him instead of Benning, but I doubt there are any buyers.

Cap: 0.9
Quote:

3RD - I'm just as happy to keep Benning here, but have a feeling he is going to be moved for Connor Brown (who fits in... I'm not sure where since he is bottom-six). If Benning is moved, you can probably slot Bear in here; if you keep Benning, you maybe look at using Bear as a trade chip.

Bear or Persson slots in here purely out of necessity; Benning is probably our only asset that is both moveable (for an NHL player, not picks) and internally replaceable. Though I agree, he is a good 3RD, imo.

Cap: 0.9
Quote:

1aG - James Reimer. Ideally I'd like to send back money to Florida in the form of Kris Russell.

Highly doubt we can move Kris Russell. Reimer would be nice, but I suspect we will be stuck with a UFA like Pickard or Stolarz for 800-900k.

Cap: 0.9 - 0.9 = 0

Quote:

Anyways, I don't know how Ken Holland is going to turn this team into a playoff team, but he's got some work and should be busy.

I suspect we miss the playoffs again this year. 20-21 has some hope as a lot of contracts are coming off the books.

Drai - McDavid - Gags
Crouse/Kharia - Nuge - FA (Vanik?)
Nygard - Result of Benning Trade (Kadri?) - Kassian
Lucic - Brodziak - Cave

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Russell
Sekera - Persson

Koskinen
Pickard/Stolarz

If we can't move Puljujarvi for Crouse, then Kharia gets signed and slotted into 2LW. If we can make that trade, Kharia is moved for a late round pick. Petrovic, Gravel, and Reider are all gone; Rattie is an AHL deal or gone.

If we can move all of Russell, Manning, Brodziak, that frees up another 7.4MM; but again, I doubt there are any takers for them.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739358 is a reply to message #739304 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

Not sure where to put this, but I thought it was interesting that the NHLE for the AHL is 2.13.

That means that the old adage of a minimum of a PPG in the AHL is required for a player to be NHL ready, is not very accurate. Sure 39 point players are not that uncommon, but they are pretty valuable. It’s probably safe to say that anything over 0.6 PPG in the AHL suggests NHL capabilities, if nothing other than 4th line. Any team would be glad with a fourth liner with 24 points, which is the NHLE for an AHLer with 0.6 points per game.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2019 15:21]

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739373 is a reply to message #739358 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 15:04

Not sure where to put this, but I thought it was interesting that the NHLE for the AHL is 2.13.

That means that the old adage of a minimum of a PPG in the AHL is required for a player to be NHL ready, is not very accurate. Sure 39 point players are not that uncommon, but they are pretty valuable. It’s probably safe to say that anything over 0.6 PPG in the AHL suggests NHL capabilities, if nothing other than 4th line. Any team would be glad with a fourth liner with 24 points, which is the NHLE for an AHLer with 0.6 points per game.

There's a few things there though:

1. NHLE isn't a particularly great estimating tool.
2. You have to consider how a player is being used...a guy who's scored 55 points in the AHL with top six ice time and time on the top PP unit isn't likely to see anything close to the same opportunities at the NHL level.
3. There are a lot of players who are very good AHL players who fail to make the jump. The Oilers have had all kinds of them through the organization over the years - Currie, Intranuovo, White, Potulny, etc. have put up great numbers at the AHL level and never were able to become NHL regulars. Usually the x-factors they're missing are speed and sometimes size. For example, Intranuovo was a stellar AHL player, posting 294 points in 256 games (1.15 PPG) but at the NHL level, never made a real impact with just 6 points in 22 games (0.27 PPG).

I do think he would have had more chance of playing in the NHL now - in part because teams are starting to understand that a small guy who can score points is more valuable as a fourth liner than a big guy who can't...but even so, I think it just goes to show just how big the jump is.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739375 is a reply to message #739373 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 22:34

Magnum wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 15:04

There's a few things there though:

1. NHLE isn't a particularly great estimating tool.
2. You have to consider how a player is being used...a guy who's scored 55 points in the AHL with top six ice time and time on the top PP unit isn't likely to see anything close to the same opportunities at the NHL level.
3. There are a lot of players who are very good AHL players who fail to make the jump. The Oilers have had all kinds of them through the organization over the years - Currie, Intranuovo, White, Potulny, etc. have put up great numbers at the AHL level and never were able to become NHL regulars. Usually the x-factors they're missing are speed and sometimes size. For example, Intranuovo was a stellar AHL player, posting 294 points in 256 games (1.15 PPG) but at the NHL level, never made a real impact with just 6 points in 22 games (0.27 PPG).

I do think he would have had more chance of playing in the NHL now - in part because teams are starting to understand that a small guy who can score points is more valuable as a fourth liner than a big guy who can't...but even so, I think it just goes to show just how big the jump is.

By no means a perfect measure. The translation factor is significant, but it cuts both ways. There are some players that outperform their AHL trajectories while others underperform.

I think it has more to do with how the player fits the big club’s style of play as opposed to capacity to face NHL difficultly levels. This is especially important for lower level players, more so than for impact players.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739374 is a reply to message #739304 ]
Mon, 24 June 2019 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It is somewhat depressing that the team has only $8MM left to spend with so many glaring holes.

We badly need a second goalie who might be starter material, as relying solely on Koskinen going in to the season would be folly. The team has a lot of defencemen under contract, eight if you include Joel Persson. Manning won't be on the team, but barring a trade, you have your starting roster group there. Even if there is a trade, it wouldn't be surprising to see any of Bear, Jones or Bouchard start with the team out of camp.

There are only 9 NHL forwards signed (generously including Colby Cave and Joakim Nygard). Of those 9, you can really only see three that are true top-six players, with Gagner and Kassian having the ability to step up the lineup. Ideally Gagner is a bottom six guy with some PP time, and Kassian is a third liner at best, but realistically, there's no room for more than one decent winger in free agency, and then you fill out the rest with bottom rung money. It's bleak unless the team somehow manages a trade or two to move out a couple of the uglier contracts. The problem with that, of course, is that as of yet, Peter Chiarelli doesn't work for any other NHL teams so the cost is likely prohibitively high.

It's a pretty complex puzzle for Holland how he's supposed to manage the roster for this year with so little to work with.

I suppose the only good news is that the team is somewhat limited in its ability to make a mistake in free agency, given that they literally can't afford to stroke cheques...

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739426 is a reply to message #739374 ]
Tue, 25 June 2019 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 24 June 2019 22:47

It is somewhat depressing that the team has only $8MM left to spend with so many glaring holes.

We badly need a second goalie who might be starter material, as relying solely on Koskinen going in to the season would be folly. The team has a lot of defencemen under contract, eight if you include Joel Persson. Manning won't be on the team, but barring a trade, you have your starting roster group there. Even if there is a trade, it wouldn't be surprising to see any of Bear, Jones or Bouchard start with the team out of camp.

There are only 9 NHL forwards signed (generously including Colby Cave and Joakim Nygard). Of those 9, you can really only see three that are true top-six players, with Gagner and Kassian having the ability to step up the lineup. Ideally Gagner is a bottom six guy with some PP time, and Kassian is a third liner at best, but realistically, there's no room for more than one decent winger in free agency, and then you fill out the rest with bottom rung money. It's bleak unless the team somehow manages a trade or two to move out a couple of the uglier contracts. The problem with that, of course, is that as of yet, Peter Chiarelli doesn't work for any other NHL teams so the cost is likely prohibitively high.

It's a pretty complex puzzle for Holland how he's supposed to manage the roster for this year with so little to work with.

I suppose the only good news is that the team is somewhat limited in its ability to make a mistake in free agency, given that they literally can't afford to stroke cheques...

I guess Manning is an instant demotion, so 9.3M for a backup goalie and 3 forwards?

Seems likely we spend 3.5-4M on 1 winger at least. Maybe Connoley, although I think I would prefer Donskoi. Leaves 5.3-5.8M for the goalie and 2 bleh players to fill out the forward ranks. Probably need to spend 2.5M to get a reasonable goalie. Then you just have some 1M max guys for the rest of the forwards. Not gonna be easy to create a reliable bottom 6, and we badly need a bottom 6 that isn't a black hole of suck. Although, maybe if you had to pick between a slightly better bottom 6 or getting a winger to make a usable 2nd line, maybe the 2nd line option is actually better. Better to have 2 lines you can play a good amount and just find easier ice time for the bottom 6, than having 3 lines that range from useless to disaster.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 June 2019 22:12]

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739433 is a reply to message #739426 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I don’t know that the Oilers NEED a great bottom six, considering that they are rarely on the ice due to the overuse of the top line. It shouldn’t be the case that they are using Connor for nearly half the game, but I doubt that’ll change. So, the fourth line is more or less there to provide a short break for the top three lines and don’t have to be awesome. Some teams need the fourth line to be contributing, but considering the limitations of what the Oilers can do this summer, I’d get some defensively responsible cheapies and play them sparingly on the 4th, while “loading up” the top nine.

That might even help the middle rung players, giving them more opportunity/ice time to produce. I bet TOI and offensive zone starts are really low for a lot of non-first-line players, which likely explains their low point totals.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739437 is a reply to message #739433 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

In my opinion, NHL teams need a good top 9 for forwards. Your 4th line needs to be able to skate but they can be made of physical guys who bring some energy and hopefully they can kill some penalties. There job is to forecheck hard, not kill you defensively and give your offensive guys a breather. What I find encouraging about Connelly is he just turned 27, so he should be in his prime and is 3 seasons away from 30 which seems to be that tipping point for a lot of guys. He's right handed, has size, I believe he's a decent skater but someone can clarify that for me. He has scored 15 goals, 3 years in a row, this past season 22 playing on the 3rd line with very little PP time. So that's all 5 on 5 scoring. So I would hope that if the Oilers signed him, you can count on him to give you teens in goals. Being that the Oilers lack wing depth, could his numbers get a slight bump with a little second unit PP time. Chiasson who's numbers weren't as good as Connelly's started on the 4th line, played well, slowly moved up, ended up getting PP time and scored 22 goals, 8 of which were on the PP.

I am not counting on Connelly to do that but it's not out to lunch. I also have lots of interest in Donskoi too.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739438 is a reply to message #739437 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

It won't happen but as a Edmontonian, Connelly's agent who is Lucic's agent as well, owe the Oilers a solid with a good, team friendly contract for Connelly thanks to the the contract he negotiated for Lucic. I don't actually think it will happen and I am not really expecting or being serious in thinking it will happen but it sure would be nice.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739439 is a reply to message #739433 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 07:55

I don’t know that the Oilers NEED a great bottom six, considering that they are rarely on the ice due to the overuse of the top line. It shouldn’t be the case that they are using Connor for nearly half the game, but I doubt that’ll change. So, the fourth line is more or less there to provide a short break for the top three lines and don’t have to be awesome. Some teams need the fourth line to be contributing, but considering the limitations of what the Oilers can do this summer, I’d get some defensively responsible cheapies and play them sparingly on the 4th, while “loading up” the top nine.

That might even help the middle rung players, giving them more opportunity/ice time to produce. I bet TOI and offensive zone starts are really low for a lot of non-first-line players, which likely explains their low point totals.

Except the bottom six got just caved in last year, and due to overuse, the top line dropped off in the second half of the season last year.

The Oilers during the last four years have generally been world beaters when McDavid is on the ice, and they lose games when he's not. He's not on the ice over 50% of the time, even in his highest use games so the Oilers need to be able to at least saw off.

Some of that is coaching - it's been weak generally in McDavid's time here - but the personnel is pretty awful too and we've often had third and fourth lines that wouldn't look out of place in the AHL.

As you say, there's a limit to what we can do this summer, but hopefully they can find someone who's not simply dude-with-a-pulse.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739444 is a reply to message #739439 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I saw in Friedman's 31 thoughts he mentioned there have been rumors of the Oilers sniffing around Zucker from the Wild. I severely doubt anything would materialize but I would be curious to know what was tossed around even in prelim talks. Money would have to go back to the Wild but I have no clue would they would even want.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-short-term-d eals-break-rfa-stalemates/

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739445 is a reply to message #739444 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Any interest in Ryan Hartman, who is a UFA now that Dallas didn't qualify him. Could he be a winger for the third line? I'm iffy, but he does play an aggressive game. Not sure he would help the roster though.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739446 is a reply to message #739445 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

bigred75 wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 11:32

Any interest in Ryan Hartman, who is a UFA now that Dallas didn't qualify him. Could he be a winger for the third line? I'm iffy, but he does play an aggressive game. Not sure he would help the roster though.

Anyone know what is wrong with Hartman that Dallas wouldn't qualify him? I just looked him up. He's not even 25, right shot, plays a somewhat physical, aggressive style Scored 12 goals, 26 pts last year. So low end 3rd/4th line numbers. He's coming off making 875K. When I went to look up his salary, I assumed he was making a few mill which is why I thought was the reason he wasn't qualified. So I was surprised to see he was making not much over league minimum.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739447 is a reply to message #739446 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 11:46

Anyone know what is wrong with Hartman that Dallas wouldn't qualify him? I just looked him up. He's not even 25, right shot, plays a somewhat physical, aggressive style Scored 12 goals, 26 pts last year. So low end 3rd/4th line numbers. He's coming off making 875K. When I went to look up his salary, I assumed he was making a few mill which is why I thought was the reason he wasn't qualified. So I was surprised to see he was making not much over league minimum.

Apparently, he has Arb rights and Dallas didn't want him to have any control. So they didn't qualify him and hope to sign him on July 1, but most likely not now.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739449 is a reply to message #739445 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

If Connolly is asking for more than 3.5, Hartman and Donskoi shoukd be the new targets. Hartman seems as likely as Connolly to put up around 30 points.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739454 is a reply to message #739439 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 09:21

Except the bottom six got just caved in last year, and due to overuse, the top line dropped off in the second half of the season last year.

The Oilers during the last four years have generally been world beaters when McDavid is on the ice, and they lose games when he's not. He's not on the ice over 50% of the time, even in his highest use games so the Oilers need to be able to at least saw off.

Some of that is coaching - it's been weak generally in McDavid's time here - but the personnel is pretty awful too and we've often had third and fourth lines that wouldn't look out of place in the AHL.

As you say, there's a limit to what we can do this summer, but hopefully they can find someone who's not simply dude-with-a-pulse.

If they are going to keeping riding McD and Drai into the ground, I’d prefer the playing time look like this:

1st Line - 49%
2nd Line - 30%
3rd Line - 19%
4th Line - 2%

Ideally you could move the first line down to 35% to 40%, but come on, this is the Oilers.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739458 is a reply to message #739454 ]
Wed, 26 June 2019 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 13:25

Adam wrote on Wed, 26 June 2019 09:21

If they are going to keeping riding McD and Drai into the ground, I’d prefer the playing time look like this:

1st Line - 49%
2nd Line - 30%
3rd Line - 19%
4th Line - 2%

Ideally you could move the first line down to 35% to 40%, but come on, this is the Oilers.

The last half season saw the first time in his entire career where McDavid was outchanced for stretches and I think that was entirely due to fatigue. I'm fine with a low minutes fourth line, but maybe it's more like:

1st line - 20-21 minutes
2nd line - 18-19 minutes
3rd line - 14-15 minutes
4th line - 5-8 minutes

But even there, we need our second line to have wingers who are actual second liners, and our third line to be relatively NHL-quality. I don't think the Oilers could say that last year.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739627 is a reply to message #738995 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1792822/report-smith-to-si gn-with-oilers-talbot-with-flames

Smith is our guy? Seems so wrong. Hated him with Calgary and Arizona.

Re: Summer Targets (Oilers) [message #739631 is a reply to message #739627 ]
Sun, 30 June 2019 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 30 June 2019 14:56

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1792822/report-smith-to-si gn-with-oilers-talbot-with-flames

Smith is our guy? Seems so wrong. Hated him with Calgary and Arizona.

I expect you'll hate him in Edmonton too. What a terrible gamble.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:2019 UFA Crop
Next Topic:Advanced stats, causality, and why numbers matter
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca