Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Coaching ChangesPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Coaching Changes [message #737870 is a reply to message #737863 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 09:25

If what Adam says is true and he is heavy into system play but his system results in the Oilers winning more games, making the playoffs and maybe one day a cup, is that a bad thing? As much as I love seeing McDavid going for scoring titles, if better system play helps the Oilers win and as a result McDavid puts up 100 pts in stead of 116, I am OK with that. McDavid and Leon haven't even peaked yet in their overall development as players so I am not too worried about their offense dropping off but if it did happen to drop off slightly but the Oilers are a way more successful team, oh well.

In saying that, sometimes better system play results in players having better years offensively because they have the puck more and spend more time in the offensive zone rather than doing what the Oilers do which is spend more than half their shifts chasing the other team in efforts to get the puck. At the end of the day, they need to win more games.

One of the problems that the Oilers have had throughout the years, is leaning too heavily on their stars, which doesn't allow lower lines to develop and score. This reflects the savior complex that the team has, where they want a single person to take carry the team and take it to the promised land. For goodness sake, we've even called one of the players Jesus. There are reasons that Toby and Strome didn't score here, and the over-focus on star players was a significant factor. I look forward to a more balanced approach if indeed it comes.

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.
2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.
2017/2018 - I'm drinking this Kool-Aid, in hopes that it's Drain-O.
2018/2019 - Another round of Drain-O, good sir!

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737873 is a reply to message #737870 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 11:14

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 09:25

If what Adam says is true and he is heavy into system play but his system results in the Oilers winning more games, making the playoffs and maybe one day a cup, is that a bad thing? As much as I love seeing McDavid going for scoring titles, if better system play helps the Oilers win and as a result McDavid puts up 100 pts in stead of 116, I am OK with that. McDavid and Leon haven't even peaked yet in their overall development as players so I am not too worried about their offense dropping off but if it did happen to drop off slightly but the Oilers are a way more successful team, oh well.

In saying that, sometimes better system play results in players having better years offensively because they have the puck more and spend more time in the offensive zone rather than doing what the Oilers do which is spend more than half their shifts chasing the other team in efforts to get the puck. At the end of the day, they need to win more games.

One of the problems that the Oilers have had throughout the years, is leaning too heavily on their stars, which doesn't allow lower lines to develop and score. This reflects the savior complex that the team has, where they want a single person to take carry the team and take it to the promised land. For goodness sake, we've even called one of the players Jesus. There are reasons that Toby and Strome didn't score here, and the over-focus on star players was a significant factor. I look forward to a more balanced approach if indeed it comes.

If Tippett is the guy, then maybe he is the right guy because when he was with Arizona, he was always able to get a lot out of lesser players. The Oilers lack wing depth but they also don't seen to gen enough out of the guys they have. We have seen many bottom 6 guys and even the odd what were supposed to be second liners come to Edmonton and under perform and then they go somewhere else under a different coach and more structured system and they excel. Strome is a perfect example. He seems to find a home finally as the Oilers 3rd line center but he wasn't scoring so they dump him. He goes to the Rangers under a new coach, different system and he lights it up. What do the Oilers currently lack? A 3rd line center.

So while I think and hope the Oilers add some wing depth, I wonder how much of their woes can be solved by getting in a coach who can actually get more out of his players. I am of the opinion that for years the Oilers have not been getting everything they can from their players.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 May 2019 12:39]

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737877 is a reply to message #737853 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

3 Cups

Xombie wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 21:08

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 18:41

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 18:24

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Could be a coaching hire as early as Friday for the Oilers. Tippett remains the front runner, sounds like Todd Nelson won’t be in the mix for the job.

Really sounded like Holland wanted a veteran coach. I'm willing to give Tippett a chance. He did well with some talent coaching Dallas. He had to adjust in Arizona of course, but still got all you could expect out of those lineups. He was like Trotz in Nashville a lot of years, with his most talented player being a dman every year. Yandle leading his team in scoring like Weber was for Nash. It's hard to judge coaches in those situations, aside from just how they are able to adjust to try to make the best use of what they have.

The oilers seem to have reached a Tippetting point in their coaching search. Tippett of the hat to Rishaug for the hot Tippett. Nice to see a thorough search this time rather than the Tippettical Oiler move of just choosing their Tippett.

OFPOTD!

(Oil fan pun of the day)

Maybe even Oil fan pun of the month.

You've won:

http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/user/products/large/beer_hat_thirst_aid_helmet_novelty_drinking_gadget.png

A beer drinking hat! Or kool-aid. I hear you can even get wine in a can now.

Where do I claim my prize?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737901 is a reply to message #737877 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 20:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xombie  is currently offline Xombie

1 Cup

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 12:29

Xombie wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 21:08

CrudeRemarks wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 18:41

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 21 May 2019 18:24

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug
Could be a coaching hire as early as Friday for the Oilers. Tippett remains the front runner, sounds like Todd Nelson won’t be in the mix for the job.

Really sounded like Holland wanted a veteran coach. I'm willing to give Tippett a chance. He did well with some talent coaching Dallas. He had to adjust in Arizona of course, but still got all you could expect out of those lineups. He was like Trotz in Nashville a lot of years, with his most talented player being a dman every year. Yandle leading his team in scoring like Weber was for Nash. It's hard to judge coaches in those situations, aside from just how they are able to adjust to try to make the best use of what they have.

The oilers seem to have reached a Tippetting point in their coaching search. Tippett of the hat to Rishaug for the hot Tippett. Nice to see a thorough search this time rather than the Tippettical Oiler move of just choosing their Tippett.

OFPOTD!

(Oil fan pun of the day)

Maybe even Oil fan pun of the month.

You've won:

http://www.thegadgetstore.ie/user/products/large/beer_hat_thirst_aid_helmet_novelty_drinking_gadget.png

A beer drinking hat! Or kool-aid. I hear you can even get wine in a can now.

Where do I claim my prize?

You must first journey across the deserts of Elsweyr and then through the deep dangerous forest of Fangorn to the uncharted island of Dinotopia. There you must search the lands to find this guy named Tarkus. He giveth the prizes. None have heard from or seen this mysterious seer in many years however...

*skill testing question is required.

Bob Marley and the (Hartford) Wailers.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737878 is a reply to message #737161 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Pierre LeBrun @PierreVLeBrun
Ken Holland’s coaching search began with 15 names or so. Some of them interviewed. Down to a short list now. Tippett still figures prominently. As far as timing, I would guess either a hire by Friday or it waits until week of June 3 with Oil brass busy at draft combine next week

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Just following up on this, my sense is that Dave Tippett is not only the leading candidate in EDM but, for the moment, the only candidate. Now, that could change quickly if Holland and Tippett aren’t on the same page in terms of contract etc. So we’ll know better in next 48 hrs.
The reason why Friday figures prominently in a timeline is that EDM GM Holland is devoting next week exclusively to NHL draft combine in BUF. So if the coaching hire isn’t put to bed in the next two or three days, it will be delayed until after draft combine, the week of June 3.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737880 is a reply to message #737878 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 14:03

Ken Holland’s coaching search began with 15 names or so. Some of them interviewed. Down to a short list now. Tippett still figures prominently. As far as timing, I would guess either a hire by Friday or it waits until week of June 3 with Oil brass busy at draft combine next week

Just following up on this, my sense is that Dave Tippett is not only the leading candidate in EDM but, for the moment, the only candidate. Now, that could change quickly if Holland and Tippett aren’t on the same page in terms of contract etc. So we’ll know better in next 48 hrs.
The reason why Friday figures prominently in a timeline is that EDM GM Holland is devoting next week exclusively to NHL draft combine in BUF. So if the coaching hire isn’t put to bed in the next two or three days, it will be delayed until after draft combine, the week of June 3.

What?! Only one candidate?! But we are normally so thorough.

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737882 is a reply to message #737880 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 14:09

I just heard John Shannon on Stauffer's show who's pretty tight with Oilers brass and he listed off 5 or 6 that are in the conversation and have been talked too. Apparently Holland is meeting Tippet in Vancouver in the next day or so.
He listed.
Todd Richards
Lane Lambert
Geoff Ward
DJ Smith
John Stevens
Tippett

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737883 is a reply to message #737880 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 14:09

From 15 to 1 I guess? And Holland has settled on Tippett and is waiting for the answer.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737895 is a reply to message #737161 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Article about our next HC:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-look-dave-tippett -according-ex-players/

Quote:

Shane Doan had only played 18 games for new head coach Dave Tippett back in the 2009-10 season, but it was after a 3-2 win at home by his Phoenix Coyotes that he saw something he says now, “was one of the things I’ll never forget.”

The Coyotes beat Dallas 3-2, and Doan had shed his gear, dispensed with the media interviews, showered, and was walking out of the Coyotes dressing room, headed fort his car.

“I was walking out of the dressing room and there was, like, 13 of his ex-players from the Stars, waiting to go into his coaching office. All waiting to say hi to him. And he was excited to see them all.”

All signs point to the Edmonton Oilers head coaching position being Dave Tippett’s, if he chooses to accept the mission. So, we spoke to a couple of ex-players, and a few other folks around the game, to get a vibe for what kind of coach he would be. Particularly as it pertains to Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, two of the NHL’s top four scorers who would surely trade some regular-season points for the chance to pile up a few in the post-season.

“I would tell them, be prepared to have to play a full 200-foot game,” began Ray Whitney, who played two seasons under Tippett in Phoenix. Whitney tied his second-best points total ever, with 77 points for the Coyotes in the 2011-12 campaign.

“I think Tipp has learned that the game has changed. You’re going to have to give those types of players the time and space to do what they’re going to do. And Connor and Leon, they’re going to get their points no matter what,” Whitney said. “What they’ll have to buy into is, Leon, if you don’t score 50 goals and 100 points — but you get 40 goals and 85 points and we make the playoffs — is that going to be good enough? If they buy into it, they still might get to their 100 points, but they will be much better at both ends of the rink.

“Dave’s is a team where everybody is asked to play the same way — within reason.”

Doan was the captain for every one of the eight seasons Tippett coached in the desert. He chuckled at the mention of Tippett being known as a “defensive coach.” As if there are any NHL bosses who aren’t concerned with what’s happening in their own end.

“The defence part is the structure part. The part you can control. Everyone comes into the league with decent skill, but the defensive side has to be coached a bit,” Doan said. “He wants you to be offensive. Look at what (Radim) Vrbata and Ray Whitney did — they had their best years when they played for him. He’s not going to hold anyone back.

“The guys who have the ability to make plays will have more freedom, but at the same time he’ll hold everyone accountable to how he expects everyone to play the game. Which is,” Doan adds, “the right way.”

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737896 is a reply to message #737895 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 15:56

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-look-dave-tippett -according-ex-players/

Quote:

Shane Doan had only played 18 games for new head coach Dave Tippett back in the 2009-10 season, but it was after a 3-2 win at home by his Phoenix Coyotes that he saw something he says now, “was one of the things I’ll never forget.”

The Coyotes beat Dallas 3-2, and Doan had shed his gear, dispensed with the media interviews, showered, and was walking out of the Coyotes dressing room, headed fort his car.

“I was walking out of the dressing room and there was, like, 13 of his ex-players from the Stars, waiting to go into his coaching office. All waiting to say hi to him. And he was excited to see them all.”

All signs point to the Edmonton Oilers head coaching position being Dave Tippett’s, if he chooses to accept the mission. So, we spoke to a couple of ex-players, and a few other folks around the game, to get a vibe for what kind of coach he would be. Particularly as it pertains to Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl, two of the NHL’s top four scorers who would surely trade some regular-season points for the chance to pile up a few in the post-season.

“I would tell them, be prepared to have to play a full 200-foot game,” began Ray Whitney, who played two seasons under Tippett in Phoenix. Whitney tied his second-best points total ever, with 77 points for the Coyotes in the 2011-12 campaign.

“I think Tipp has learned that the game has changed. You’re going to have to give those types of players the time and space to do what they’re going to do. And Connor and Leon, they’re going to get their points no matter what,” Whitney said. “What they’ll have to buy into is, Leon, if you don’t score 50 goals and 100 points — but you get 40 goals and 85 points and we make the playoffs — is that going to be good enough? If they buy into it, they still might get to their 100 points, but they will be much better at both ends of the rink.

“Dave’s is a team where everybody is asked to play the same way — within reason.”

Doan was the captain for every one of the eight seasons Tippett coached in the desert. He chuckled at the mention of Tippett being known as a “defensive coach.” As if there are any NHL bosses who aren’t concerned with what’s happening in their own end.

“The defence part is the structure part. The part you can control. Everyone comes into the league with decent skill, but the defensive side has to be coached a bit,” Doan said. “He wants you to be offensive. Look at what (Radim) Vrbata and Ray Whitney did — they had their best years when they played for him. He’s not going to hold anyone back.

“The guys who have the ability to make plays will have more freedom, but at the same time he’ll hold everyone accountable to how he expects everyone to play the game. Which is,” Doan adds, “the right way.”

I just hope that when Leon inevitably scores 35 goals next year, that everyone doesn't blame Tippett

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737897 is a reply to message #737896 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 17:15

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 15:56

Quote:

I just hope that when Leon inevitably scores 35 goals next year, that everyone doesn't blame Tippett

If he scores 35 and we miss the playoffs, it will definitely be 110% Tippett's fault. On both counts :)

35 and playoffs? Tippett is crowned a god damn genius that got Drai to "buy in".

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737898 is a reply to message #737897 ]
Wed, 22 May 2019 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Let's face it, even though defensive hockey isn't sexy ( as Chia would say ) it's a must if you want to make the playoffs and challenge for a cup. Sounds to me like he understands that the offensive players have to be allowed to do what they are paid to do but be responsible on the other side of the puck as well. Who cares if Leon scores fifty if the Oilers make the playoffs anyway. I'm sure if you asked Leon or Conner which is more important, they'd be all for making a run and doing what it takes to get there.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737905 is a reply to message #737898 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

overdue wrote on Wed, 22 May 2019 20:01

Let's face it, even though defensive hockey isn't sexy ( as Chia would say ) it's a must if you want to make the playoffs and challenge for a cup. Sounds to me like he understands that the offensive players have to be allowed to do what they are paid to do but be responsible on the other side of the puck as well. Who cares if Leon scores fifty if the Oilers make the playoffs anyway. I'm sure if you asked Leon or Conner which is more important, they'd be all for making a run and doing what it takes to get there.

You are right. While free wheeling hockey is fun to watch, if you want to make the playoffs and win in them, you have to be able to play sound hockey. Look no further than Tampa. They played a fast, very offensive style. They were 21 pts ahead of the next closest team in the NHL for points and 36 goals more than the next closest team. Most people thought they were the sue in to win. They went up against a structured, defensively sound team with a good goalie and got whipped 4-0 in the first round.

When the Oilers went to the finals and lost in game 7, Mac T had them trapping. The Oilers were a solid team but not the most talented. They had a good goalie and they beat multiple teams that were a lot more talented. I don't think there was a single Oilers fan who complained about the style of play as the Oilers won round after round. So if bringing in a coach who will get these guys to be a little more responsible, get the goals against down, play a more TEAM game rather than an individual game and it costs a few players a few points but they win a lot more. I am all for it.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737908 is a reply to message #737905 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 08:47

You are right. While free wheeling hockey is fun to watch, if you want to make the playoffs and win in them, you have to be able to play sound hockey. Look no further than Tampa. They played a fast, very offensive style. They were 21 pts ahead of the next closest team in the NHL for points and 36 goals more than the next closest team. Most people thought they were the sue in to win. They went up against a structured, defensively sound team with a good goalie and got whipped 4-0 in the first round.

When the Oilers went to the finals and lost in game 7, Mac T had them trapping. The Oilers were a solid team but not the most talented. They had a good goalie and they beat multiple teams that were a lot more talented. I don't think there was a single Oilers fan who complained about the style of play as the Oilers won round after round. So if bringing in a coach who will get these guys to be a little more responsible, get the goals against down, play a more TEAM game rather than an individual game and it costs a few players a few points but they win a lot more. I am all for it.

Uhhh, the 2006 team was not a trap team. They developed a strategy to deal with Detroit to force shots from the outside, but that isn't the trap, and that team was exciting and offensive and got scoring up and down the depth chart.

And I don't think anyone should read too much in to the Lightning losing this year. Sometimes weird things happen, and Columbus was a team that had loaded up at the deadline. They were always going to be dangerous, especially if their goalie got on a run. The Lightning outshot the Blue Jackets in the series and in three of four games (although it was fairly close throughout). Anyone who makes a bunch of team-building decisions based on that series is likely to look foolish.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737910 is a reply to message #737908 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 09:13

Uhhh, the 2006 team was not a trap team. They developed a strategy to deal with Detroit to force shots from the outside, but that isn't the trap, and that team was exciting and offensive and got scoring up and down the depth chart.

And I don't think anyone should read too much in to the Lightning losing this year. Sometimes weird things happen, and Columbus was a team that had loaded up at the deadline. They were always going to be dangerous, especially if their goalie got on a run. The Lightning outshot the Blue Jackets in the series and in three of four games (although it was fairly close throughout). Anyone who makes a bunch of team-building decisions based on that series is likely to look foolish.

Well I have heard Stauffer say multiple times how the Oilers played a trapping style in the 2006 playoffs. No disrespect Adam but I am going to take the word of a guy who covers the team and works for the team over a fan.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737912 is a reply to message #737910 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 09:55

Well I have heard Stauffer say multiple times how the Oilers played a trapping style in the 2006 playoffs. No disrespect Adam but I am going to take the word of a guy who covers the team and works for the team over a fan.

You did watch the 2006 playoffs though, right? Do you remember a lot of slow grind it out 2-1 games?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737919 is a reply to message #737912 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro is currently online JPro

1 Cup

I remember it being kinda trappy during the Detroit series. MacT referred to it as a "defensive forecheck" or something like that at the time. Which I still like to jokingly quote to this day. Here's an article from that time where he addresses the allegations: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/oilers-clogging-detroit -s-style-1.575786

http://archive.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2006/04/24/ passive_aggressive_oilers_get_their_win/?_sm_au_=iVVVWH1n7ZQ nSVGj

[Updated on: Thu, 23 May 2019 12:48]

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737916 is a reply to message #737910 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Man, Stauffer is a straight up talking puppet. I would not take what he says over anyone, unless it's in regard to a rumor or inside info.

If he's saying something, it's to feed an Oilers' narrative.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737917 is a reply to message #737916 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 11:09

Man, Stauffer is a straight up talking puppet. I would not take what he says over anyone, unless it's in regard to a rumor or inside info.

The Oilers weren't playing a run and gun style in the 2006 run. They were playing a tight checking game. They played way, way, way tighter defensively than they ever did during the season.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737918 is a reply to message #737917 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 11:41

The Oilers weren't playing a run and gun style in the 2006 run. They were playing a tight checking game. They played way, way, way tighter defensively than they ever did during the season.

I thought it was more about shot blocking than anything, and having excellent breakout passing.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737923 is a reply to message #737917 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Because this is apparently a debate, let's have a look at that run:

Round 1 - Detroit Red Wings

Game 1 DET 3 - EDM 2 (2OT)
Game 2 EDM 4 - DET 2
Game 3 EDM 4 - DET 3 (2OT)
Game 4 DET 4 - EDM 2
Game 5 EDM 3 - DET 2
Game 6 EDM 4 - DET 3

Round 2 - San Jose Sharks

Game 1 SJS 2 - EDM 1
Game 2 SJS 2 - EDM 1
Game 3 EDM 3 - SJS 2 (3OT)
Game 4 EDM 6 - SJS 3
Game 5 EDM 6 - SJS 3
Game 6 EDM 2 - SJS 0

Round 3 - Anaheim Mighty Ducks

Game 1 EDM 3 - ANA 1
Game 2 EDM 3 - ANA 1
Game 3 EDM 5 - ANA 4
Game 4 ANA 6 - EDM 3
Game 5 EDM 2 - ANA 1

Round 4 - Carolina Hurricanes

Game 1 CAR 5 - EDM 4
Game 2 CAR 5 - EDM 0
Game 3 EDM 2 - CAR 1
Game 4 CAR 2 - EDM 1
Game 5 EDM 4 - CAR 3 (OT)
Game 6 EDM 4 - CAR 0
Game 7 CAR 3 - EDM 1

The Oilers actually shifted styles as they played different teams. Since it wasn't Todd McLellan coaching, they realized that they were capable of doing different things to match up against different opponents. Against Detroit, they played Rope-a-Dope, especially early in the series. Against San Jose, after two tight fairly boring games, they played a robust series with a heavy focus on forechecking. A heavy forecheck - not typically an element a trap game is known for - was a feature throughout the playoffs. Look at where the Oilers were successful against Carolina - they were hammering them all over the ice and turning over pucks - not waiting patiently at center ice and simply trying to disrupt and counter. Against Anaheim, they just walked all over them, until everyone got the flu...then they hung on and scratched out a hard-fought Game 5 win.

I mean, it's great if you want to believe that we basically put a Jacques Lemaire style system in place simply because you heard an off-hand comment from Bob Stauffer, but that's just not what happened.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737925 is a reply to message #737923 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iamheretoday  is currently offline Iamheretoday

No Cups

Full credit to MacT for coaching that year, they went with what worked, and even, novel idea, changed mid game if it was working. Was one of the better coached playoffs, especially by an Oilers coach.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737928 is a reply to message #737923 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 13:57

Game 2 EDM 4 - DET 2
Game 4 DET 4 - EDM 2
Game 5 EDM 3 - DET 2
Game 6 EDM 4 - DET 3

Game 1 SJS 2 - EDM 1
Game 2 SJS 2 - EDM 1
Game 4 EDM 6 - SJS 3
Game 5 EDM 6 - SJS 3
Game 6 EDM 2 - SJS 0

Game 1 EDM 3 - ANA 1
Game 2 EDM 3 - ANA 1
Game 3 EDM 5 - ANA 4
Game 4 ANA 6 - EDM 3
Game 5 EDM 2 - ANA 1

Game 1 CAR 5 - EDM 4
Game 2 CAR 5 - EDM 0
Game 3 EDM 2 - CAR 1
Game 4 CAR 2 - EDM 1
Game 6 EDM 4 - CAR 0
Game 7 CAR 3 - EDM 1

The Oilers actually shifted styles as they played different teams. Since it wasn't Todd McLellan coaching, they realized that they were capable of doing different things to match up against different opponents. Against Detroit, they played Rope-a-Dope, especially early in the series. Against San Jose, after two tight fairly boring games, they played a robust series with a heavy focus on forechecking. A heavy forecheck - not typically an element a trap game is known for - was a feature throughout the playoffs. Look at where the Oilers were successful against Carolina - they were hammering them all over the ice and turning over pucks - not waiting patiently at center ice and simply trying to disrupt and counter. Against Anaheim, they just walked all over them, until everyone got the flu...then they hung on and scratched out a hard-fought Game 5 win.

I mean, it's great if you want to believe that we basically put a Jacques Lemaire style system in place simply because you heard an off-hand comment from Bob Stauffer, but that's just not what happened.

Don't forget, against San Jose, Torres repositioned that guy's face with the sort of hit that ended up getting him games and games of suspensions later in his career. At the time though it just shifted momentum. Specifically it reversed the momentum of that guy's head and also the series.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #738055 is a reply to message #737923 ]
Mon, 27 May 2019 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24 is currently online K.McC#24

5 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 13:57

Game 2 EDM 4 - DET 2
Game 4 DET 4 - EDM 2
Game 5 EDM 3 - DET 2
Game 6 EDM 4 - DET 3

Game 1 SJS 2 - EDM 1
Game 2 SJS 2 - EDM 1
Game 4 EDM 6 - SJS 3
Game 5 EDM 6 - SJS 3
Game 6 EDM 2 - SJS 0

Game 1 EDM 3 - ANA 1
Game 2 EDM 3 - ANA 1
Game 3 EDM 5 - ANA 4
Game 4 ANA 6 - EDM 3
Game 5 EDM 2 - ANA 1

Game 1 CAR 5 - EDM 4
Game 2 CAR 5 - EDM 0
Game 3 EDM 2 - CAR 1
Game 4 CAR 2 - EDM 1
Game 6 EDM 4 - CAR 0
Game 7 CAR 3 - EDM 1

I don't remember the Oilers giving up much room in the neutral zone during that run. I don't think they played a trap all the time, the forecheck was an element as well, I think the score and the clock dictated the style of play, as well as who was on the ice. The 'trap' was one of the elements they deployed that spring.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737920 is a reply to message #737916 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I do wonder what his number was. Like when Katz said to him, "I want to completely manage your commentary on anything related to the team even if it means contradicting things you've said for years." what was the dollar figure attached to abandoning his principles.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737921 is a reply to message #737920 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 13:02

I do wonder what his number was. Like when Katz said to him, "I want to completely manage your commentary on anything related to the team even if it means contradicting things you've said for years." what was the dollar figure attached to abandoning his principles.

"You'll be fulfilling a childhood dream AND have the ability to text all your heroes". Plus I don't think it would take much to beat what the Team 1260 was paying him.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737922 is a reply to message #737921 ]
Thu, 23 May 2019 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

5 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 12:35

CrudeRemarks wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 13:02

"You'll be fulfilling a childhood dream AND have the ability to text all your heroes". Plus I don't think it would take much to beat what the Team 1260 was paying him.

It was a great move for him to make.

But as a listener I can't listen to him anymore. He was critical and unbiased while on 1260 and he was the only host I listened too. Once he was bought though his tone changed and I couldn't tune in anymore.

You can practically hear him holding back his honest thoughts when he chuckles at someone else being brutally honest about the state of the team.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737949 is a reply to message #737161 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mark Connolly @MarkConnollyCBC
Heard from a solid source tonight that Dave Tippett is the #Oilers new head coach. Locked in, should be announced tomorrow.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737951 is a reply to message #737949 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 23 May 2019 23:23

Heard from a solid source tonight that Dave Tippett is the #Oilers new head coach. Locked in, should be announced tomorrow.

I don't hate it. But I'm not excited either. Maybe all we need is some low risk stability in management. It's going to be a while before the roster is fixed anyways.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737955 is a reply to message #737951 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

I don't mind Tippett being the coach. I don't buy into the idea that he will coach out offense in the Oilers top players. When you are the coach of a team like Arizona who's team is filled with 3rd and 4th liners and maybe you have 1 forward who might play on another teams second line, you have to coach to what you have. In his last season with the Coyotes, his best forward was Vrbata who had 55 pts. Vrbata at best would be the 4th or 5th best forward on most other teams. Their best center that year was Hanzal who's a 3rd line center. You aren't coaching an offensive style with players like that. When Hitch came in, McDavid had 116 pts, Leon had 50 goals and over 100 pts, Nuge set career highs. So I am not worried about the offense of the top guys drying up.

My hope is that a coach like Tippet who usually got the most out of his guys can get some of the Oilers lower end forwards to elevate like he did in Arizona. If he can get the whole Oilers team playing hard every night, that would go along way. While I think the Oilers need more help on the wings and more scoring depth, I think their biggest issue is keeping the puck out of their net. So if can have the Oilers playing a more sound team game and not be a gong show defensively, that would be huge.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737958 is a reply to message #737955 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 08:27

I don't mind Tippett being the coach. I don't buy into the idea that he will coach out offense in the Oilers top players. When you are the coach of a team like Arizona who's team is filled with 3rd and 4th liners and maybe you have 1 forward who might play on another teams second line, you have to coach to what you have. In his last season with the Coyotes, his best forward was Vrbata who had 55 pts. Vrbata at best would be the 4th or 5th best forward on most other teams. Their best center that year was Hanzal who's a 3rd line center. You aren't coaching an offensive style with players like that. When Hitch came in, McDavid had 116 pts, Leon had 50 goals and over 100 pts, Nuge set career highs. So I am not worried about the offense of the top guys drying up.

My hope is that a coach like Tippet who usually got the most out of his guys can get some of the Oilers lower end forwards to elevate like he did in Arizona. If he can get the whole Oilers team playing hard every night, that would go along way. While I think the Oilers need more help on the wings and more scoring depth, I think their biggest issue is keeping the puck out of their net. So if can have the Oilers playing a more sound team game and not be a gong show defensively, that would be huge.

At the very least, Tippett has shown he can adapt his coaching style to what he has at his disposal, and he has been able to extract something from non-elite players down his lineup. That makes him an upgrade over McLellan IMO :)

Demanding discipline and buyin from top to bottom of your lineup but also maintaining some level of admiration from your players (just basing off the story from Doan of all the Dallas guys lining up to talk with him), that is not the easiest thing to do either.

I'm really not worried at all that he will stifle our offensive guys. Lots of examples in Dallas and Arizona where talent was able to produce just fine. Holland better give him some wingers that can do stuff though.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737961 is a reply to message #737958 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 08:42

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 08:27

At the very least, Tippett has shown he can adapt his coaching style to what he has at his disposal, and he has been able to extract something from non-elite players down his lineup. That makes him an upgrade over McLellan IMO :)

Demanding discipline and buyin from top to bottom of your lineup but also maintaining some level of admiration from your players (just basing off the story from Doan of all the Dallas guys lining up to talk with him), that is not the easiest thing to do either.

I'm really not worried at all that he will stifle our offensive guys. Lots of examples in Dallas and Arizona where talent was able to produce just fine. Holland better give him some wingers that can do stuff though.

I agree with you. The elite players are going to be elite. It's the rest of the guys that need to be coached up a bit at times and made to play hard and to their capabilities. How many times have the Oilers signed a player who isn't an elite guy but has a proven track record of providing certain things. He comes to the Oilers and is a massive failure then goes to another team and is just fine.

A great example is Rieder. Before coming to the Oilers he scored 12 goals, 25 pts, 16 goals, 34 pts, 14 goals 37 pts. In his first season in the NHL he scored 13 goals, 21 pts. So very consistent 3rd line numbers who can skate and kill penalties. He signed a 1 yr, show me 2 mill deal. Looked like a great signing. Zero goals, 11 pts in 67 games. Set an NHL record for shots taken by a forward without 1 goal. When you score zero goals in 67 games as a forward, that usually means you aren't an NHLer. I would bet money that some team will sign him for under 1 mill on a 1 yr deal and he will score 10+ goals and over 20 pts. So exactly what the Oilers were expecting from him.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737985 is a reply to message #737958 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 17:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
overdue  is currently offline overdue

No Cups

Quote:

not worried at all that he will stifle our offensive guys

Not sure if it was in the Doan article but more than a couple of players had their best offensive seasons under Tippet both in Arizona and Dallas.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737986 is a reply to message #737985 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

overdue wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 17:49

Quote:

Not sure if it was in the Doan article but more than a couple of players had their best offensive seasons under Tippet both in Arizona and Dallas.

If only he’d been there when they got Datsyuk

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737987 is a reply to message #737986 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 20:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 18:43

overdue wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 17:49

Quote:

If only he’d been there when they got Datsyuk

He was there for two seasons of Pronger and never made it to the playoffs, what the hell Dave.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737991 is a reply to message #737949 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 00:23

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1ipgi9XMDKAdYddxFD/giphy.gif

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737993 is a reply to message #737991 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 22:53

Kr55 wrote on Fri, 24 May 2019 00:23

https://media3.giphy.com/media/1ipgi9XMDKAdYddxFD/giphy.gif

No downside! I’m sure the coach search was as extensive as it was exhaustive. Just like the GM search. Good times and smooth seas ahead.

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737970 is a reply to message #737161 ]
Fri, 24 May 2019 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Something added to our story out of Philly:

Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull
When Dave Tippett is officially named Edmonton’s head coach, former #Flyers coach Dave Hakstol is a candidate to be named one of his assistants. Both are UND grads and are friends.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737994 is a reply to message #737970 ]
Sat, 25 May 2019 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clutchlikeeberle  is currently offline clutchlikeeberle

No Cups

Ken Holland is a class A hockey man, and do not give me this crap about so was PC - he a solid tenure with Boston, had some good pieces in place when he went there and so be it. I thought he was a solid hire at the time - but hey - I was wrong. But, lets not compare Ken Holland and PC, we have a top notch hockey man leading this franchise, who has no ties to the "old boys club". Dave Tippit has no ties either and has proven to be a solid coach in the past and Seattle thought enough of him to bring him in to help lead their path into the NHL. So, for once, for the love of god can we think that this is not the past, this is the future. Optimism is needed badly.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #737996 is a reply to message #737994 ]
Sat, 25 May 2019 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

3 Cups

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 25 May 2019 08:07

no ties to the "old boys club". Dave Tippit has no ties either... Optimism is needed badly.

If anything is going to kindle my optimism. It's untethering from Lowe and Co.

That said, we'll know what Holland is capable of by the end of the summer, by the composition of his team.

So many years, this site has gotten the quality of the team composition right. That is, we typically, as a collective, have a pretty good grasp of how a known set of players will perform at the beginning of a season. We often get the individuals wrong (Peter, specific players, etc.), but rarely the group.

In reality, Chia had a decent first two years. Even with the terrible Hall trade, he didn't hurt the team all that much. After the playoff run, some switch was flipped. My guess is that the boys thought they were invincible after getting an intoxicating wiff of that old glory, and all conservatism went out the window, which was replaced by management bravado and gut-moves.

Re: Coaching Changes [message #738000 is a reply to message #737996 ]
Sat, 25 May 2019 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Magnum wrote on Sat, 25 May 2019 08:40

clutchlikeeberle wrote on Sat, 25 May 2019 08:07

no ties to the "old boys club". Dave Tippit has no ties either... Optimism is needed badly.

If anything is going to kindle my optimism. It's untethering from Lowe and Co.

That said, we'll know what Holland is capable of by the end of the summer, by the composition of his team.

So many years, this site has gotten the quality of the team composition right. That is, we typically, as a collective, have a pretty good grasp of how a known set of players will perform at the beginning of a season. We often get the individuals wrong (Peter, specific players, etc.), but rarely the group.

In reality, Chia had a decent first two years. Even with the terrible Hall trade, he didn't hurt the team all that much. After the playoff run, some switch was flipped. My guess is that the boys thought they were invincible after getting an intoxicating wiff of that old glory, and all conservatism went out the window, which was replaced by management bravado and gut-moves.

His first two years were solid.

And then we lost Eberle, Sekera was hurt for most of both seasons, we lost Pouliot, we lost Desharnais, etc. Later we also lost Maroon, and even Letestu. More recently Caggiula. And nothing was done to replace those points and minutes.

Aside from Lucic falling off a cliff, most of all that was GMing.

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Advanced stats, causality, and why numbers matter
Next Topic:Free agent Joakim Nygard looking for a new home
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca