Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Speculation » Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707449]
Sat, 20 January 2018 12:45 Go to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
Hall of Famer Paul Coffey joining the struggling Edmonton Oiler organization? Sounds like it is in the works. Details still a little sketchy on precise role — coaching staff has been rumoured — but expectation is he will be in EDM sooner rather than later.

omg, this org is so embarrassing.

As far as I can tell, Coffey has just been chilling since he retired. Probably charity work, going to events, etc... But, no NHL jobs.

Here are his Post-Career notables from wikipedia:

Post-playing career
While coaching a game for the Toronto Marlboros midget ‘AAA’ team in February 2014, Coffey was assessed a gross misconduct penalty for a discriminatory slur. The Greater Toronto Hockey League investigated the misconduct penalty and Coffey was handed a three-game suspension. Coffey is a co-owner of the OJHL's Pickering Panthers.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"
- All Oilers fans, Present Day

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707453 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 12:45

Hall of Famer Paul Coffey joining the struggling Edmonton Oiler organization? Sounds like it is in the works. Details still a little sketchy on precise role — coaching staff has been rumoured — but expectation is he will be in EDM sooner rather than later.

As far as I can tell, Coffey has just been chilling since he retired. Probably charity work, going to events, etc... But, no NHL jobs.

Post-playing career
While coaching a game for the Toronto Marlboros midget ‘AAA’ team in February 2014, Coffey was assessed a gross misconduct penalty for a discriminatory slur. The Greater Toronto Hockey League investigated the misconduct penalty and Coffey was handed a three-game suspension. Coffey is a co-owner of the OJHL's Pickering Panthers.

Hahahahahahaha...I swear, I didn’t know.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707456 is a reply to message #707453 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 12:52

Post-playing career

Hashtage FireCoffey?

East of the Rockies and west of the rest.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707457 is a reply to message #707453 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Post-playing career

I blame you. You put the idea out there.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707458 is a reply to message #707453 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Post-playing career

Go Jets go? How can anyone take this org seriously anymore if they make this move? So damn embarrassing.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707460 is a reply to message #707458 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think we need to take some of the fall for this. Clearly someone in the org is reading Oilfans and taking our bs seriously.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707461 is a reply to message #707460 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Does this answer the question if the Oilers brass actually read our posts?

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707462 is a reply to message #707461 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ziltoid  is currently offline ziltoid

No Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 13:58

Dear Mysterious Oilers Brass,

Please quit your job. You really, REALLY suck at it.

Regards,

Ziltoid (and everyone else on here).

That ought to do it; a wave of resignations incoming.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707471 is a reply to message #707462 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 14:09

Regards,

I can kind of picture Kevin Lowe hate-reading my posts day after day, and then lo and behold, therrrs a suggestion there that hits him like a thunderbolt. “Why didn’t I think of that before?” He cries and he races to dial his former teammate and offer him the job...

Sigh. It wasn’t supposed to be serious Kevin.

I think the worst thing about the Oilers is that they’re completely gone-deaf on this. They don’t even seem to realize the rest of the league is laughing at them every time they make another Old Boy’s Club hire without even rubbing much of a process to see if there are any better qualified candidates out there. They have no shame about this. They won when they were players together, why wouldn’t it work to make them all part of the management? It’s an embarrassment.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireChiarelli #FireBobbyNicks #FireKeithGretzky #FireKenHolland #FireTippett

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707523 is a reply to message #707471 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 16:13

ziltoid wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 14:09

Regards,

I can kind of picture Kevin Lowe hate-reading my posts day after day, and then lo and behold, therrrs a suggestion there that hits him like a thunderbolt. “Why didn’t I think of that before?” He cries and he races to dial his former teammate and offer him the job...

Sigh. It wasn’t supposed to be serious Kevin.

I think the worst thing about the Oilers is that they’re completely gone-deaf on this. They don’t even seem to realize the rest of the league is laughing at them every time they make another Old Boy’s Club hire without even rubbing much of a process to see if there are any better qualified candidates out there. They have no shame about this. They won when they were players together, why wouldn’t it work to make them all part of the management? It’s an embarrassment.

Part of me thinks Lowe and the OBC are too smug to ever look/care what goes on here (or any of the other boards). But then I remember all of the people I have met over the years that knew/know/grew up with these people, and there is a part of me that thinks they are exactly the type of narcissists who would troll the internet looking at what people are saying, then get really p'd off and mock us when they read our criticisms.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707535 is a reply to message #707523 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

What role is Coffey going to assume?[ 6 vote(s) ]
1.Senior VP of Coaches and Assistants 0 / 0%
2.President of Hockey Sticks and Pucks 2 / 33%
3.Ultra Senior VP of Powerplays and Penalty Killing 1 / 17%
4.Super Ultra VP of Team Improvement and Hockey Sticks Maintenance 3 / 50%

This organization is laughable, and his title will likely make no sense...

Sooooo, I'm throwing out some possibilities for his role with the club. Let me know which one you think will be closest to the mark!

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707536 is a reply to message #707535 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jds308  is currently offline jds308

1 Cup

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 21 January 2018 08:31

This organization is laughable, and his title will likely make no sense...

Sooooo, I'm throwing out some possibilities for his role with the club. Let me know which one you think will be closest to the mark!

My vote would be Forensic Auditor of Skills & Coaching.

I make music:
Undermaker442

308 Media Group

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707539 is a reply to message #707536 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RIGHT! More forensic audits!

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707467 is a reply to message #707453 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Post-playing career

I was going to post last night and say DON'T EVEN FING JOKE ABOUT IT. But then I thought it didn't need saying because the concept was beyond possible: a dumb joke, a stupid idea, a sarcastic shot, both asinine and crazy. Now all that applies to this decision (if true) instead of the comment.

Don't say anything about any others 80's Oiler pleeeeeease.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707468 is a reply to message #707467 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I heard Jaroslav Pouzar isn't doing anything?

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707463 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Here we go. Coffey was previously hired by Gretzky's Coyotes back before the start of the 2002/03 season:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/coffey-joins-coyotes-as-cons ultant-1.338034

Coyotes PP in 01/02: 14th place
Coyotes PP in 02/03: 21st place

Coyotes PK in 01/02: 21st place
Coyotes PK in 02/03: 27th place

I hate to say it, but Gretzky might have added yet another layer of poor management to the Oilers org. He never had a clue when we had a voice with the Coyotes, and everyone in our org now will be hanging off his every word and loving every idea he has.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 January 2018 14:55]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707473 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

2 Cups

This is the opposite of what needs to happen.

Clean house or bust

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707483 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

2 Cups

Someone really needs to build an Oilers Alumni Org Title Generator:

<Spin>
Wayne Van Dorp

<Spin>
VP of Player Personnel

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707484 is a reply to message #707483 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

6 Cups

Suomalainen wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 18:36

Someone really needs to build an Oilers Alumni Org Title Generator:

<Spin>
Wayne Van Dorp

<Spin>
VP of Player Personnel

Ha! Wayne spared a game in our beer league years and years ago, great guy, not really trying, playing down to the level of the league, trying to set up plugs for goals, not taking any shots on net, but I remember one he did take, he snapped a shot from center ice .. top corner.. goalie never moved!

NHL is at such a high level we tend not to appreciate it sometimes..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707491 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Can we get this moved to Oilers?

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707493 is a reply to message #707491 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm is currently online nullterm

5 Cups

Now we know who Chia’s replacement will be when he takes the fall for the season.

drink

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707519 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

If Coffey had a hand in taking Letestu off the 1st unit, and then Lucic booted off the 1st unit after the 1st PP tonight where he looked like an ass. Well, then I approve of the Coffey.

Going to 4/5 (Letestu off, but still Lucic) players that can actually make a play with their head up on the 1st unit and then to 5/5 (removing Lucic) made a world of difference IMO. We went almost all year with 3/5 until suddenly the coaches ideas all changed after the bye week.

[Updated on: Sat, 20 January 2018 22:40]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707521 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sat, 20 January 2018 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Looks like nothing to do with special teams.

Jim Matheson @NHLbyMatty

Paul Coffey will be used in a skills-coach, player development capacity with the young blueliners here and in Bakersfield. "Another set of eyes," said coach Todd McLellan.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707537 is a reply to message #707521 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Super Ultra VP of Mad Skills Development?

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707588 is a reply to message #707521 ]
Mon, 22 January 2018 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danmac  is currently offline danmac

No Cups

There are so many more recent options too. Nick Lidstrom would be awesome but he would never take the job.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707589 is a reply to message #707588 ]
Mon, 22 January 2018 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
danmac  is currently offline danmac

No Cups

From McLellan's past, Dan Boyle would have been a good option.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707618 is a reply to message #707588 ]
Mon, 22 January 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

danmac wrote on Mon, 22 January 2018 11:26

There are so many more recent options too. Nick Lidstrom would be awesome but he would never take the job.

Why would Nick Lidstrom be awesome? He was an amazing defenceman, but did he ever teach anyone else on the Red Wings to be the next Lidstrom? Skills don't transfer that way. I want my coaches to have expertise in coaching, not playing. It's not one and the same.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707625 is a reply to message #707618 ]
Mon, 22 January 2018 16:23 Go to previous message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 January 2018 15:14

danmac wrote on Mon, 22 January 2018 11:26

Why would Nick Lidstrom be awesome? He was an amazing defenceman, but did he ever teach anyone else on the Red Wings to be the next Lidstrom? Skills don't transfer that way. I want my coaches to have expertise in coaching, not playing. It's not one and the same.

Yeah, it's not like he's an ex-Oiler.

Unless the Oilers win the draft lottery (again) then I hired every Swede defenseman I can find.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707540 is a reply to message #707449 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Coffey's skills coaching helps out again. This time with English skills:

@Woodguy55 pointed out this quote from spectors recent article
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUE9kwbU0AAR0Y5.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

"In Brad we trust"

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707545 is a reply to message #707540 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 21 January 2018 10:28

Saw that. And the discussion about how the Oilers can be 1.5 years in with Puljujarvi and just thinking that a tutor might be a good idea now. Sigh.

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707550 is a reply to message #707545 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 January 2018 11:32

Saw that. And the discussion about how the Oilers can be 1.5 years in with Puljujarvi and just thinking that a tutor might be a good idea now. Sigh.

Jari Kurri incoming in 3...2....1...

Re: Bob McKenzie - Oilers bringing in Coffey [message #707551 is a reply to message #707550 ]
Sun, 21 January 2018 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

ziltoid wrote on Sun, 21 January 2018 12:48

Adam wrote on Sun, 21 January 2018 11:32

Jari Kurri incoming in 3...2....1...

Oh god... but yeah, that makes sense.

Previous Topic:The craziest hypothesis of all time.
Next Topic:How bad will Chia's next big move be?
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca