F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTOPages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698814]
Sun, 10 September 2017 08:48 Go to next message
sinfulchimp306  is currently offline sinfulchimp306

No Cups

Just read on Oilersnation really doesnt make too much sense unless they project drai to be rw

Formerly gagnerisgod.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Oilers sign chris kelly to PTO [message #698815 is a reply to message #698814 ]
Sun, 10 September 2017 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

....it could be a case of Chia signing a player who he knows from the past...we've seen that before....

....or it could be a case where there are two pre-season games coming up against Calgary on the same night and the Oilers need to dress a minimum number of NHL veterans for the pre-season games, so Chris Kelly could be one of them.... confused2 confused2 confused2

....Kelly did play a full 82 games for Ottawa last season, but I cant see an older center who has played only in the East his whole career sticking around the Oilers training camp for long...

Re: Oilers sign chris kelly to PTO [message #698821 is a reply to message #698815 ]
Sun, 10 September 2017 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55 is currently online Kr55

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 10 September 2017 09:30

....it could be a case of Chia signing a player who he knows from the past...we've seen that before....

....or it could be a case where there are two pre-season games coming up against Calgary on the same night and the Oilers need to dress a minimum number of NHL veterans for the pre-season games, so Chris Kelly could be one of them.... confused2 confused2 confused2

....Kelly did play a full 82 games for Ottawa last season, but I cant see an older center who has played only in the East his whole career sticking around the Oilers training camp for long...

Would guess the main reason is the min vet requirement. Don't really see how he has a place on the team. Especially with us already at 48 contracts. Not a great use of the remaining space if you want to load up at the deadline with actual useful players.

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

"Next year (15/16) I would forecast as another developmental year"
- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign chris kelly to PTO [message #698822 is a reply to message #698815 ]
Sun, 10 September 2017 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Sun, 10 September 2017 09:30

I really hope he's just a body to fill the veteran requirement.

He'd be a better pickup than Chris Neil, but that's not saying much. 12 points and -16 last year playing 11 minutes a game. More concerning is that as the year went on, the Senators used him less and less and less. In October, he played an average of almost 14 minutes a game, but in April, he was down below 9 minutes a night. When the playoffs came, the Sens almost didn't use him at all - he got in only 2 games, playing just over 5 minutes a game.

The only thing that the Sens seemed to like him for was penalty kill - where he averages 2:05 a night. He was one of a quartet of forwards that all saw about the same amount of time (with Pageau, Pyatt & Zach Smith). Victor Stalberg took over his spot in the playoffs, although he still managed to play 1:40 of his total 10:51 post-season time on ice while the Sens were shorthanded.

You have to think he's a long shot to make the team. Who's spot does he take away? But you never know with the Oilers...

[Updated on: Sun, 10 September 2017 18:18]

"This team needs an enema!"
#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698818 is a reply to message #698814 ]
Sun, 10 September 2017 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

5 Cups

Marty Reasoner part II

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks, K. Russell = $3.1 M

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698819 is a reply to message #698818 ]
Sun, 10 September 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 10 September 2017 15:20

Marty Reasoner part II

Another slightly slower version of prime Joe Sakic? Sign me up!

"The Edmonton Oilers are not where they should be right now and that is unacceptable. We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698833 is a reply to message #698819 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

2 Cups

I don't see him making the team. I see this more as like people have already said needing a guy to fill out the vet quota for the preseason. He has a history with Chia so maybe Chia is doing him a bit of favor by giving him a chance maybe he can show something. The spot he would be going after would be Khaira's. Is Kelly and Khaira not similar players in that they are bottom 6 guys that can play all positions? The difference being Khaira is bigger, younger and a little faster. Ideally the spot is Khaira's and should be Khaira's to lose. I keep hearing that Khaira has all the tools to be an effective bottom 6 guy - big, strong, skates well, physical, tough, has a nasty streak - but the issue has been he tends to take his foot off the gas and forget what he needs to do to be effective. I never mind competition in camp. So if bringing in Kelly maybe tightens the collar around Khaira a little and makes him realize he needs to keep the pedal down, then go for it. If Kelly comes in and legit wins a job, I am not going to freak out if the Oilers sign him as a 13/14th forward for cheap. I don't see it happening but as I said, I like competition in camp and a hungry vet looking for a job should push some young guys to be better.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698838 is a reply to message #698814 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OilMJMOil  is currently offline OilMJMOil

No Cups

Unlike many here, if something were to come from this PTO and he signs a 1-year then I'm pleased. Career 48% on the dot, not spectacular though it allows the TMac line blender to be in affect with either Drai or Nuge on the wing. Plays the PK, and does it well.

Kelly on the 4th with Khaira and Kassian to form a KKK line faint

"When we"ve got the puck, they can"t score."
~Paul Coffey

"Put the kids in with a few old pappy guys who still like to win and the combination is unbeatable."
~Conn Smythe

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698840 is a reply to message #698814 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rocksteady  is currently offline Rocksteady

2 Cups

Yeah, count me in as not a fan. I think there is more options out there rather than an aging 36 year old that played limited minutes last season.

If he makes the team, Letestu moves up and RNH is going bye bye.

The very definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698852 is a reply to message #698840 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Magnum  is currently offline Magnum

4 Cups

This is a no for everyone else, except Oilers' management.

Chia, what the heck man!

Such a bad player. Maybe bring back Stortini?

2015/2016 - This Kool-Aid tastes like McDavid flavoured Drain-O.

2016/2017 - This Kool-Aid is starting to taste like juice.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698853 is a reply to message #698852 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Magnum wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 14:22

Chia, what the heck man!

So does that mean that every GM is stupid if they sign a player to a PTO? If you are signing a PTO, that means no one else felt you were worthy enough to sign you to a contract.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698854 is a reply to message #698853 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 14:30

Chia, what the heck man!

So does that mean that every GM is stupid if they sign a player to a PTO? If you are signing a PTO, that means no one else felt you were worthy enough to sign you to a contract.

Absolutely not true.
There are a lot of players at the end of their career that would take a PTO to a team they WANT to play for rather than just accept a contract to whatever team offered it. Especially if they are were smart with cash and dont need to play to earn a paycheck.

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698855 is a reply to message #698854 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 14:38

Chia, what the heck man!

Absolutely not true.
There are a lot of players at the end of their career that would take a PTO to a team they WANT to play for rather than just accept a contract to whatever team offered it. Especially if they are were smart with cash and dont need to play to earn a paycheck.

I get that. I was responding to Magnum blasting Chia for bringing in a guy on a completely no commitment PTO. I don't see the downside to bringing in a hungry vet who will come in and at the very least push some young guys to be better. Competition is a good thing.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 September 2017 14:56]

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698856 is a reply to message #698855 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 14:53

PlusOne wrote on Mon, 11 September 2017 14:38

Chia, what the heck man!

Absolutely not true.

I get that. I was responding to Magnum blasting Chia for bringing in a guy on a completely no commitment PTO. I don't see the downside to bringing in a hungry vet who will come in and at the very least push some young guys to be better. Competition is a good thing.

Agreed 100%. I was replying to this comment.

"If you are signing a PTO, that means no one else felt you were worthy enough to sign you to a contract. "

"My wife told me Edmonton was going to win the pick that day," said Gretzky. "That was the day that I retired 16 years ago. So, she said, for whatever reason, the Oilers have good luck today. Connor McDavid went to Edmonton."

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698857 is a reply to message #698856 ]
Mon, 11 September 2017 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If Kelly managed to beat out Pakarinen as the Oilers 13th/14th forward, I don't think the fortunes of the team are over. I am not advocating for the guy and I think it's a long shot but having a guy that can play center, wouldn't be a terrible thing to have if injuries happen.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698908 is a reply to message #698853 ]
Wed, 13 September 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Chia, what the heck man!

I don't have a clue how you got the idea that I insinuated that every GM is stupid for a singing a player to a PTO, when I was commenting on a specific GM signing and specific player to a PTO.

That's the equivalent to me saying: "Oh, that was a bad contract, I don't know of any other team in the NHL that would sign that." (Khabibulin for example). Then you say: "So does that mean that every GM is stupid if they sign a player to a contract?"

As to a no risk PTO, I don't think that anything in the NHL comes without cost. A PTO will take coaching time, ice time, and other assets away from more promising players. So yeah, I would rather Edmonton bring in a player that was better than, not even close to being good enough to play for the Oilers.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698861 is a reply to message #698814 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

The Oilers are worried about their PK, which shouldn't be a surprise. That's why Kelly is on the PTO. He has played centre in the past, but he wouldn't be playing centre on the Oilers. He would be playing LW on the 4th line (Khaira's spot).

Khaira needs to show he can PK adequately during pre-season. If Kelly does a better job, I think he will be signed.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698865 is a reply to message #698861 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

The Oilers for years gifted roster spots to young guys and rightly so, we all complained about a lack of depth and roster competition. Now the Oilers are signing vets, bringing in others on PTO's so young players aren't gifted spots and there is camp competition and some fans complain. icon_lol

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698866 is a reply to message #698865 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 10:22

The Oilers for years gifted roster spots to young guys and rightly so, we all complained about a lack of depth and roster competition. Now the Oilers are signing vets, bringing in others on PTO's so young players aren't gifted spots and there is camp competition and some fans complain. icon_lol

I don't think anyone is complaining about Kelly really. And if there is concern, it isn't because it will hurt Khaira's playing time. The concern is because as far as vets go, there isn't a lot about Chris Kelly that suggests he can add much to a team now. He's old, his contributions have fallen way off, his team used him less and less throughout last year before shelving him entirely for the bulk of the playoffs.

It seems like the biggest reason that it's Kelly that gets the try-out is that he has a history with Chiarelli, rather than that he's the best available veteran to push players for that role.

#FireLowe #FireMacT #FireHowson #FireBuchberger #FireHowsonAgain #FireChiarelli #FireMcLellan

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698868 is a reply to message #698866 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilerfan79  is currently offline oilerfan79

No Cups

I've got a crazy thought. What if he is the best available that was willing to sign a PTO here? Let's be honest no one on a PTO really has a chance of playing beside McDavid unless they catch lightning in a bottle so they're just trying to make the team and get another NHL paycheck. I believe there is a McDavid draw among NHL free agents but higher end ones who at least stand a chance of lining up beside him not the guys so far down the line that they're looking for employment in September.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698869 is a reply to message #698866 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 10:26

I don't think anyone is complaining about Kelly really. And if there is concern, it isn't because it will hurt Khaira's playing time. The concern is because as far as vets go, there isn't a lot about Chris Kelly that suggests he can add much to a team now. He's old, his contributions have fallen way off, his team used him less and less throughout last year before shelving him entirely for the bulk of the playoffs.

It seems like the biggest reason that it's Kelly that gets the try-out is that he has a history with Chiarelli, rather than that he's the best available veteran to push players for that role.

No one is complaining? 8 posts up. What do you call saying he's a bad player? A compliment?

Do I think that Kelly will make the team? No. But do I think he will come into camp very motivated and works is ass off? Hell yes.

What position will he be going after? 12, 13, 14th forward. Who's a couple of young guys going after that spot? Khaira and Pakarinen. So if Chris Kelly is flying around the ice trying to make the team and he looks better early on than Khaira or Pakarinen and it gets them to pull up their socks, ang give max effort. 100% totally worth it. Khaira supposedly has all the tools to be a very effective bottom 6 winger. The knock on him is he just tends to take his foot off the pedal and stop doing what he needs to do to be effective. In my opinion if you are a 11, 12, 13, 14th forward in the NHL, you can't afford to take your foot off the gas. So if Chris Kelly breathing down his neck for Khaira's spot lights a spark under his ass, perfect.

If by some miracle, Kelly makes the team and edges out a Pakarien as an extra forward, big deal. Maybe Pakarien should have been better. Chris Kelly has no business beating out Khaira or Pakarinen. If he does, that's on them.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #698881 is a reply to message #698869 ]
Tue, 12 September 2017 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 10:40

Adam wrote on Tue, 12 September 2017 10:26

No one is complaining? 8 posts up. What do you call saying he's a bad player? A compliment?

Do I think that Kelly will make the team? No. But do I think he will come into camp very motivated and works is ass off? Hell yes.

What position will he be going after? 12, 13, 14th forward. Who's a couple of young guys going after that spot? Khaira and Pakarinen. So if Chris Kelly is flying around the ice trying to make the team and he looks better early on than Khaira or Pakarinen and it gets them to pull up their socks, ang give max effort. 100% totally worth it. Khaira supposedly has all the tools to be a very effective bottom 6 winger. The knock on him is he just tends to take his foot off the pedal and stop doing what he needs to do to be effective. In my opinion if you are a 11, 12, 13, 14th forward in the NHL, you can't afford to take your foot off the gas. So if Chris Kelly breathing down his neck for Khaira's spot lights a spark under his ass, perfect.

If by some miracle, Kelly makes the team and edges out a Pakarien as an extra forward, big deal. Maybe Pakarien should have been better. Chris Kelly has no business beating out Khaira or Pakarinen. If he does, that's on them.

Calling him a bad player isn't complaining. He hasn't been signed by the team yet. It's suggesting that he isn't likely to make an impact.

Who says the Khaira takes his foot off the pedal? Is this your knock on him? He's a borderline NHL player, so that would be a pretty huge knock on the guy. If he has no hands AND lacks consistent intensity, that suggests a write-off...

I don't like his odds as a full-time NHLer for any length of time. I don't think he's shown enough offensive instincts and you can't produce single digit points and stay in the NHL, even as a fourth liner.

Call me non-traditional, but I don't think you make much for player decisions based on training camp - unless there's fitness issues. If I was running a team, I wouldn't keep people based on a strong camp if they weren't in the plans before we started. It's not an accurate measure to see how they play against vets going at 50% or CHL and AHL kids. If Chris Kelly has a big training camp, I don't sign him based on that, because he's had a long NHL career to judge him by, and one or two hot weeks isn't representative - even if he outplayed his competition in that time.

I'm not sold on either Pakarinen or Khaira and would love to see the Oilers actually upgrade, but Kelly, at this point in his career, isn't an upgrade.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699058 is a reply to message #698814 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

Lowetide reporting on McLellan's interview, sounds like Chris Kelly has more than an outside shot to make the team:

Quote:

Todd McLellan on Chris Kelly: “We didn’t bring him here just to put him in a tryout situation, we brought him here because we believe he can still play in the league and contribute. It’s going to be an important exhibition season for him, we see him being a penalty killer, a third or fourth-line role player, with a ton of experience. Very fits and skates well.”

http://lowetide.ca/2017/09/17/blue-moon-with-heartache-2/

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699060 is a reply to message #699058 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

If Kelly legit wins a job and it means he beats out Pakarinen who is a 13th forward, I won't lose any sleep.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699065 is a reply to message #699060 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 10:24

If Kelly legit wins a job and it means he beats out Pakarinen who is a 13th forward, I won't lose any sleep.

I didn't watch enough of Kelly to talk in great detail, but he played 82 games in the NHL last year. That's not nothing.

If he wins a job as an Anton Lander type role, and one of Pakarainen or Khaira goes to the AHL, that's not necessarily a downgrade I expect.

He can potentially help kill some penalties, especially with the loss of Pouliot.

The problems I have with it are, it's another contract and the Oilers signed a lot of non-NHLers to fill their AHL roster and are already tight against the limit; and if they are going to sign a veteran and use a contract, thare are better vets out there. I'd like to see then lose a few contracts to guys like Platzer and Chase.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699066 is a reply to message #699065 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 12:46

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 10:24

I didn't watch enough of Kelly to talk in great detail, but he played 82 games in the NHL last year. That's not nothing.

If he wins a job as an Anton Lander type role, and one of Pakarainen or Khaira goes to the AHL, that's not necessarily a downgrade I expect.

He can potentially help kill some penalties, especially with the loss of Pouliot.

The problems I have with it are, it's another contract and the Oilers signed a lot of non-NHLers to fill their AHL roster and are already tight against the limit; and if they are going to sign a veteran and use a contract, thare are better vets out there. I'd like to see then lose a few contracts to guys like Platzer and Chase.

I am of the opinion that the Oilers top 12 is basically set.
Drai, McDavid, Lucic, Nuge, Strome, Kassian, Letestu, Maroon, Jokinen, Caggiula, Khaira. With Slep out, I think the 12th is Puljujarvi.
Unless Slep comes back, I would be surprised if anyone else was in the Oilers starting line up opening night assuming no injuries.

I think the job that Kelly is fighting for is Pakarinen's as the 14th forward. The only thing Kelly has going for is he can play center so he's a bit more versatile than Pakarinen.

I am with you though on the contract amounts. I think it is still a long shot for Kelly to make it.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699073 is a reply to message #699058 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Goose wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 10:22

Lowetide reporting on McLellan's interview, sounds like Chris Kelly has more than an outside shot to make the team:

Quote:

Todd McLellan on Chris Kelly: “We didn’t bring him here just to put him in a tryout situation, we brought him here because we believe he can still play in the league and contribute. It’s going to be an important exhibition season for him, we see him being a penalty killer, a third or fourth-line role player, with a ton of experience. Very fits and skates well.”

http://lowetide.ca/2017/09/17/blue-moon-with-heartache-2/

Regardless of this interview I still think he is a BIG longshot to make it.
Years of Lowe and McTavish running their mouths in public, tipping their hands and seeming to spill the truth at all times has us overly conditioned to believe the things that coaches and GM's say in interviews.

McLellan doesnt have much of a choice to say this. I dont think Chia brought in Kelly without thinking he would get a fair shake but it isnt't like McLellan is going to say "Kelly has no chance, we signed him hoping the Flames would scoop him up after camp is over"

Does he bring experience, competition so the young guys in the bottom six dont coast through camp? Yep
Do I think he will ever play a reg season game in an Oiler jersey? I'd put the chances at 5%

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699074 is a reply to message #699073 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Looks like Kelly is just here to make sure Yamamoto has as hard a time as possible in pre-season to ensure no fans are mad he's sent down before the season starts.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699077 is a reply to message #699074 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 14:14

Looks like Kelly is just here to make sure Yamamoto has as hard a time as possible in pre-season to ensure no fans are mad he's sent down before the season starts.

Ah, the opposite of the, "play Yak with McDavid to raise his value before trading him", strategy.

That is brilliant actually, which leads me to believe the actual strategy will be to keep both Kelly and Yamamoto with the team until Yamamoto hits game 41.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699080 is a reply to message #699077 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I have said it before. If Chris Kelly pushes Khaira and Pakarinen, the 2 guys I see him battling for a spot. I see ZERO issue with that. Those 2 shouldn't be thinking at all they can coast into a spot.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699114 is a reply to message #699080 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 15:33

I have said it before. If Chris Kelly pushes Khaira and Pakarinen, the 2 guys I see him battling for a spot. I see ZERO issue with that. Those 2 shouldn't be thinking at all they can coast into a spot.

Would you say that someone more capable of legitimately taking their place, would do a better job of that?

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699081 is a reply to message #699077 ]
Mon, 18 September 2017 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 15:22

Ah, the opposite of the, "play Yak with McDavid to raise his value before trading him", strategy.

That is brilliant actually, which leads me to believe the actual strategy will be to keep both Kelly and Yamamoto with the team until Yamamoto hits game 41.

That can work too. Play him 5 mins per game in 10 games to burn the ELC, then press box him for 31 more to get the pro year on the books.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699115 is a reply to message #699081 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 18 September 2017 15:37

That can work too. Play him 5 mins per game in 10 games to burn the ELC, then press box him for 31 more to get the pro year on the books.

Maybe tell him he's part of the core, and sign him at top dollar. It's the Oilers' way.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699116 is a reply to message #699115 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 07:43

Maybe tell him he's part of the core, and sign him at top dollar. It's the Oilers' way.

Let's not go nuts. He needs at least 1 good season with sheltered ice time to get a golden boy 6M deal. He's also American.

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699118 is a reply to message #699116 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 08:04

Let's not go nuts. He needs at least 1 good season with sheltered ice time to get a golden boy 6M deal. He's also American.

They're past that, they give out money to Germans now, so Americans must be okay too.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699119 is a reply to message #699118 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Magnum wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 08:51

They're past that, they give out money to Germans now, so Americans must be okay too.

That was the last rebuild philosophy. The Core™ is dead. Long live The McCore™!

Your reigning, defending, undisputed, and two time NHL Survivor Champion!

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699120 is a reply to message #699119 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 07:57

That was the last rebuild philosophy. The Core™ is dead. Long live The McCore™!

Yes, totally different regimes and philosophies. This current one paved the way for their #4 overall pick to walk right into an NHL roster spot by not doing anything to shore up their RW despite having multiple options available to them, but it only took them 28 games to realize he wasn't quite ready. The previous regime decided that they only needed to have 1 actual NHL centre on their roster because they had their own #3 overall pick, but it took them 9 games longer to figure out he wasn't quite ready.

Improvement

[Updated on: Wed, 20 September 2017 13:23]

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699121 is a reply to message #699118 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Germans >>>>> Americans imo. Although I'm half German, I don't feel I am biased at all either. And a nickname the German Gretzky, how much more Canadian could a German guy be?

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699123 is a reply to message #699121 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightyreasoner  is currently offline mightyreasoner

4 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 09:37

Germans >>>>> Americans imo. Although I'm half German, I don't feel I am biased at all either. And a nickname the German Gretzky, how much more Canadian could a German guy be?

So what I'm getting out of this is that we should start calling Yamamoto the American Gretzky for no real reason and with no basis. I'm in.

Re: Oilers sign Chris Kelly to PTO [message #699129 is a reply to message #699123 ]
Wed, 20 September 2017 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 11:39

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 20 September 2017 09:37

So what I'm getting out of this is that we should start calling Yamamoto the American Gretzky for no real reason and with no basis. I'm in.

Did you dry heave a bit too when you read "American Gretzky" icon_biggrin

-Kevin Lowe, April 2013

- #2, April 2015

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Calgary @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Strome Trade Poll
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2017.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca