This day on September 26
None

Happy Birthday To: Kumquat, oilaz, CarOil, Oilcraze67, CowboyHockey4, Treads78, RDOilerfan, grace_acebedo

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14)Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500222]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:20 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

3 Cups

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 0%
Boston to win: 0%
0 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

What can you say? [message #500225 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AY  is currently offline AY

1 Cup

BOS never really let up and the Oilers' play just grew worse and worse as the game progressed. Had their opportunities with late PP's but that's an undermanned unit out there.

Re: What can you say? [message #500228 is a reply to message #500225 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Babaganoosh  is currently offline Babaganoosh

1 Cup

Hemsky was god awful tonight. Must of turned the puck over atleast 7 times at the Bruins blue line. One of those lead to Bostons secong goal.

" If you have anything good to say, say it off!"

Re: What can you say? [message #500270 is a reply to message #500228 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Beauty of a game today! Another total non-show.

Re: What can you say? [message #500229 is a reply to message #500225 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rye79  is currently offline rye79

No Cups

Undermanned an understatment! Not really any good can be taken away from this game. Shawn "whiffs on the pass" Horcoff back to his old self after one decent game, Pisani looks lost. Again the only one who woke up for the game is Penner.

An' even then... [message #500230 is a reply to message #500229 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Chara was right there presssuring and limiting The Penner's effectiveness at every turn.

I'm sure Quinn will question the team's compete level in the later part of the game. I don't think he wants to be too hard on 'em as clearly, some are just not ready for this elite level of hockey.

Re: An' even then... [message #500236 is a reply to message #500230 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oilers 101  is currently offline Oilers 101

No Cups

AY wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 13:37

Chara was right there presssuring and limiting The Penner's effectiveness at every turn.

Chara put on a clinic this morning. The team looked pretty weak when he was on the ice. There was nothing they could do.

"Our Lord who art in Rexall, Connor be thy name"

Pronger, Lidstrom... [message #500243 is a reply to message #500236 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

but to me, Chara's the best.

Good thing the Oilers don't see too much of 'im!

Re: Pronger, Lidstrom... [message #500249 is a reply to message #500243 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

4 Cups

AY wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 17:42

but to me, Chara's the best.

Good thing the Oilers don't see too much of 'im!

LOL - God love Mike Milbury. Spezza, Bill Muckalt AND Chara for Yashin! ROFL!!!

I think Redden was the beneficiary of the same sort of illusion being paired with Chara that MAB had here when paired with Pronger...these super elite Dmen have the ability to make the partners look like all stars. Too bad for Ottawa they kept the wrong guy.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500227 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoCrazy18  is currently offline GoCrazy18

No Cups

Wow, the dangerous team we watched in the first 9 games is now a disaster. The defense looked awful (Peckham has clearly established that he does not yet belong in the NHL), which I suppose is somewhat forgivable without Visnovsky, Staios, and Souray, but does not excuse stupidity. Of more concern is the offense, which didn't create anything that even resembled a decent chance until Brule in the last 40 seconds. This has nothing to do with Comrie and Stone being out, and I have to imagine the flu has been pretty much scourged. The PP was also terrible.

What concerns me the most is that this is looking more and more like the 08-09 Oilers that show little to no emotion and no physical presence, instead just skating around robotically expecting something to happen. I hope this is just a terrible slump, but fear this might be the real Oilers.

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is: never try."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500231 is a reply to message #500227 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil22  is currently offline oil22

No Cups

The Oilers played too conservative tonight. I wanted to see a Thriller of a game, but this was just scary... frustrated

June 2006"Goalie's not good. Won't be back in the series."
June 2010 "With the historic first selection in the national hockey league draft 2010, I'm extremely excited to select ..."
FROM HEARTBREAK TO HOPE OIL COUNTRY CARRIES ON.

Injuries, flu... [message #500234 is a reply to message #500231 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

somewhere along the line those excuses can't cover-up not matching BOS's energy level.

Both BOS goals... right in tight.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500232 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pedro996  is currently offline Pedro996

No Cups

The oilers were straight-up out played this morning. I am becoming skeptical on some of the coaches decisions.

First putting Stortini on the power play and now nilsson. Just because stortini is a big body doesn't mean he is good in front of the net; you need quick hands like R. Smyth. Nilsson is just weak and does not read the game well, I have no idea what granted him power play time.

Hemsky has been easy to play against and is easily checked off the puck, so that has a lot less to do with his linemates.

In the off season they GM knew that they had a lot of puck moving defenseman and yet the signed Grebeshkov for over 3million, At the time there were still some shut down d-men that would have been a better choice. I still think that Injury and illness has a big impact on this team so I am optimistic on the team turning it around later in the month.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500233 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

5 Cups

Well the first period looked like safe MacT-type hockey in the first period, from an Oilers perspective.

The Oilers were going to get owned on the cycle sooner or later, and that they did...Befitting of Halloween, it got scary for the Oilers for the final 2 frames.

The Oilers brought a no hitter to the table today, and the Bruins didn't. This should have been a 4 or 5 goal spread instead of 2. The Oilers' best chances were a Hemsky post in the second (I think) and Brulet in tight with less than a minute left.

Peckham looked like an AHLer today. Gagner had a decent game I thought, maybe the Oilers' best forward....his linemates weren't anything special. Overall, there was nothing that was being created.

On the lighter side, Horcoff won a battle for a puck with an official in the 3rd with 5-6 minutes left, it looked like he had the Ginsu knives out and was trying to hack the puck rather than play it.

Stortini, Moreau, Pisani line was just a total non-factor. This is supposed to be an energy line, I think.

I'm still trying to figure out which Oilers D didn't get back with Smid on the Bruins' first goal. Either Gilbert or Grebeshkov. I just shook my head.

Hemsky would be a far better player if he'd just have some emotion occasionally. Too many times, he just looks like he doesn't care or gives up too easy.

I wasn't expecting much from the Oilers this game, but certainly a better effort than this. I was expecting a loss from mistakes on the attack, not due to being owned on all areas of the ice. Cautious, non-aggressive losses like this are always harder to stomache.

Better days ahead when Nilsson, Peckham, and Chorney aren't in the lineup....and when the likes of Grebs and Gilbert have their icetime cut by 5-6 minutes.

Did'ja see Master Samwise... [message #500235 is a reply to message #500233 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

take a run at big Chara late in the game along the Oilers' blueline?

Fiesty lil' bugger, eh?

I disagree totally KC. I thought the Oilers were pretty aggressive in the first.

Re: Did'ja see Master Samwise... [message #500237 is a reply to message #500235 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Disagree AY, if by aggressive you mean not getting cycled in your own end, then they were.

That first period was vanilla don't try too much....don't-make-mistakes road hockey, Oilers style. We've seen it for years. I didn't see much created off a forecheck, 4-5 shots or something for the mighty Oil in the 1st?

Aggressive, yeah... [message #500240 is a reply to message #500237 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

goin' for a 2-1-2 forecheck. That's what Quinn wants. Third guy responsible. They got caught a few times over-pursuing but I thought, and Quinn does too, that that was the recipe for success. Work for it. Quinn talked about turnin' Chara for instance around.

MacT woulda been livid! ; )

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500238 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilersfan2  is currently offline oilersfan2

No Cups

Shutout 3 of the last 4 games...what else do you have to say. A team that doesnt' score, isn't going to win any games. Let's hope they Oilers can get some Healthy bodies back. Sure would be nice to have a schedule at the moment like Calgary....playing every 4 days.

Shoot the puck!!

Out shot... [message #500242 is a reply to message #500238 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

but more importantly out-chanced by the time the game was over.

I think if they had stuck to what they were doin' in the first and kept at it... there woulda been more to cheer about, eh?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500239 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dr. Oil  is currently offline Dr. Oil

1 Cup

Total ineptitude in creating offense today. They were still on Mountain time, just waking up as this game was happening. Boston played flawless hockey, but the Oilers didn't exactly force the issue.

Visnovsky means a TON to the success of this team. His absence is very apparent in their complete lack of a transition game. The closest thing they had to a steadying presence on the blueline was the fast-emerging Smid. We still need a Matt Greene-type back there... Peckham is NOT that guy.

I think the time is soon to use Nilsson and/or Cogliano as trade bait. Let's face it, Cogs is a potentially good player, but if he plays a good season, we likely can't afford to keep him in the summer anyways. He's been brutal so far; he's completely unable to win battles for the puck.

Gilbert played better today but still not $4M good.

O'Sullivan with another no-show. I really thought he'd emerge as a star this year, but he's shown very little.

Does this team even have a captain???

Moreau Had His Best Period... [message #500248 is a reply to message #500239 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTR17  is currently offline BTR17

No Cups

...of hockey in the first period, I thought. He then proceeded to fall asleep the rest of the way.

I wanted the team to cut him loose this past summer, and go with new leadership. It didn't happen.

I'm hoping his altered skating stride will soon return to normal, that it's injury that's preventing him from playing the sort of hockey that earned him the C in the first place. If Father Time has done a number on his legs, I hope the team looks at replacements for his roster spot and salary.

"The Oilers are playing like they'd rather die than lose."

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Re: Moreau Had His Best Period... [message #500282 is a reply to message #500248 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

1 Cup

Ugh... I agree.

There was one sequence in the game that was so symptomatic of Ethan Moreau's game right now. Skated hard up the side-boards (but looked like he was dragging his feet through mud), had an open man beside him just as he was crossing the blue-line and instead fired it into the corner. Rask came out and calmly played it to a Bruins D-man and they transitioned it out quick. On the next drive, another Oiler comes in across the blue-line and fires the puck around the boards. Moreau catches it on the boards, loses control of the puck, falls awkwardly to the ice and flails with his stick... and is totally left behind the play as it moves out of the B's zone.

Just an ugly shift. No value-added at all there.

I feel bad for the guy as it's obvious that he's lost a step.

Re: Moreau Had His Best Period... [message #500286 is a reply to message #500282 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

I think the "NEW" NHL has left Moreau behind.

If Moreau didn't have that... [message #500288 is a reply to message #500286 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

C on his chest, the disclosed ankle problem and we weren't cognizant of his holy core member status?

We all would be justified in questioning why this feller is playing.

That's all you get outta me! ; )

Re: If Moreau didn't have that... [message #500293 is a reply to message #500288 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beerfish Revisited  is currently offline Beerfish Revisited

1 Cup

Peckham looks worse this year than in his bit parts in previous years.

Grebs looks really awful most games.

Moreau is slow.

The injuries on the back end have just flat out killed us. (Vishnosky and Souray, not staios)

Re: If Moreau didn't have that... [message #500296 is a reply to message #500293 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Can anyone find the Oilers' alltime record in afternoon games?

My old man and I were speculating that it has to be really bad, but i can't find a stat anywhere. I guessed that they have won about 30% of the matinees they've played.

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: If Moreau didn't have that... [message #500297 is a reply to message #500296 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MJ  is currently offline MJ

2 Cups

skoobz2001 wrote on Sun, 01 November 2009 09:24

Can anyone find the Oilers' alltime record in afternoon games?

My old man and I were speculating that it has to be really bad, but i can't find a stat anywhere. I guessed that they have won about 30% of the matinees they've played.

Here's a messy schedule that has all our afternoon games I made up last year when the question came up. I think we have a winning record if you take the time to add it all up.

http://oilfans.com/schedule.php?id=AFTERNOON

All games that started before 4:00pm MT, after January 1, 2005 is the criteria. Post lockout basically.

Re: If Moreau didn't have that... [message #500298 is a reply to message #500297 ]
Sun, 01 November 2009 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skoobz  is currently offline Skoobz

1 Cup

Interesting. 2 games above .500 since 2006. ThanksMJ!

"[It was] really cool to throw on the Oilers gear, the gear that I want to play the rest of my life wearing. It was pretty cool to put it on. With all the history, it was a lot of fun." - Connor McDavid, July 1, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14) [message #500246 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SLICKERTHANOIL  is currently offline SLICKERTHANOIL

No Cups

I've said from the begining that the Oil are soft defensively and they just keep proving it over and over again. Good defense begats good offense, when your d-men take care of buisness you can counter and get good offensive chances, when your d-men are all for the most part offensive defenseman and run around in their own zone and don't like to knock people off of the puck, then you get the results the Oilers have been getting. The Oilers just don't have enough grit defensively, you would think that the Oilers' best defensive defenseman of all time who happens to be the teams' GM would have realized that in the off-season and done something about it, instead of trying to get a locker room cancer like Danny Heatley who last time I checked isn't a defensive defenseman.

So, Now Can... [message #500247 is a reply to message #500222 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...we abandon the Horcoff at 1C debacle? All of the 'well, they were shut out for 2 games in a row, so it's the right move' folks can now feast on a shutout, with their very own 10 at 1C.

Gagner was undoubtedly the best Oiler on the ice today - he should be lining up between the two best wingers on the team. 10 does not belong in that position. No way, no how.

Penner Gagner Hemsky
Moreau Horcoff Pisani

It's not difficult, folks. Really, it's not. Position the players for success.

Not pretty out there.

Theo Peckham is not an NHLer in the same way Mathieu Roy was never an NHLer. The lack of footspeed and lateral mobility is the reason why. Same reason Rob Schremp is not an NHLer - can't skate. Painful having to watch Peckham out there - I miss the Allan Rourke Era! They don't have another warm body that can play those minutes? Where are they at in terms of organizational depth if that's the best they've got?

Bobby Nilsson. Working quite hard actually, but is completely outmatched physically. Don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this kid. What you see is what you get, and it's not good enough. Will never take the leap into effectiveness, IMO.

What the hell happened to Andrew Cogliano? The guy is afraid of body contact, afraid to take a hit to make a play since Game 1. Count me as one who is absolutely ready to see him packaged and sent out for someone who can help win games against teams like the Bruins, Canucks and Flames.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 October 2009 15:48]

Mike Emerick, on-air, after the Game 3 win over Anaheim in the 2006 Western Conference Final.

Re: So, Now Can... [message #500252 is a reply to message #500247 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ofer  is currently offline Ofer

No Cups

BTR17 wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 17:06

Theo Peckham is not an NHLer in the same way Mathieu Roy was never an NHLer. The lack of footspeed and lateral mobility is the reason why. Same reason Rob Schremp is not an NHLer - can't skate. Painful having to watch Peckham out there - I miss the Allan Rourke Era! They don't have another warm body that can play those minutes? Where are they at in terms of organizational depth if that's the best they've got?

Bobby Nilsson. Working quite hard actually, but is completely outmatched physically. Don't see any light at the end of the tunnel for this kid. What you see is what you get, and it's not good enough. Will never take the leap into effectiveness, IMO.

What the hell happened to Andrew Cogliano? The guy is afraid of body contact, afraid to take a hit to make a play since Game 1. Count me as one who is absolutely ready to see him packaged and sent out for someone who can help win games against teams like the Bruins, Canucks and Flames.

Don't want to get into anything about Horcoff so I omitted that part but this is spot on.
-Peckham was a train wreck but I suspect Quinn knows that...can't do much about that except shelter him as best as possible and I would argue that's not being done.

-Agree on Nilsson, he worked hard and even through some checks but it seems like everything needs to break right for him to produce. Just seems like one of those players that would get 50 points playing on one of the league's bottom feeders. Which brings me to....

-Andrew Cogliano. I'm sorry folks, he's awful. I feel the same way about him as I do about Nilsson except Cogs clearly has value and can be traded while the rest of the NHL hasn't figured this out yet. He CANNOT win a draw, loses his guys defensively and creates next to nothing offensively. He has FIVE points in 14 games and yes I realize he's been playing with slugs.

But this team needs to figure out how to be plus players and win games and I think every time the kid line goes out there it's a step backward. This line might be fun to watch at times but it is not a unit that will contribute to consistently winning hockey games.

IMO, Cogliano and Nilsson should be offloaded ASAP for players that can really make a difference. Gagner has gone way clear of these two, can we all agree on this?

"And the fans do not like this one bit"

Re: So, Now Can... [message #500254 is a reply to message #500252 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Peckham wasnt bad. He kept it simple and made a few very good plays. His partner got him into trouble a few times though. I wont name names though. If players just tried to keep it simple like Peckham we would be better off in our own end.

I don't know Baba... [message #500255 is a reply to message #500254 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

you might wanna go take another look at today's action.

Like alotta Oilers, he didn't know what to do with the puck in our end. Wasn't in the right spots either, sometimes.

I don't think NYI have anyone near a Chara on their team but I can see their gameplan already. Pressure the Oilers' D at every opportunity. Cover the side boards and they're toast.

Re: I don't know Baba... [message #500261 is a reply to message #500255 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

AY wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 17:03

you might wanna go take another look at today's action.

Like alotta Oilers, he didn't know what to do with the puck in our end. Wasn't in the right spots either, sometimes.

I don't think NYI have anyone near a Chara on their team but I can see their gameplan already. Pressure the Oilers' D at every opportunity. Cover the side boards and they're toast.

That's been the book on the Oilers for what, 4 years now? Any coach who doesn't ask his guys to pressure the Oilers' D is just not doing his job. The Oilers have manned their back end with turnover machines for a long time now.

We'll Have To Agree... [message #500262 is a reply to message #500254 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

...to disagree on Peckham.

I see a huge void on his 'abilities' chart.

That void being the ability to skate at an NHL level.

If you lack the closing speed to throw the thunderous checks, what benefit is there to having a heavy shoulder?

Not impressed with his game. I don't project him to be an NHLer.

Re: We'll Have To Agree... [message #500264 is a reply to message #500262 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

The biggest void on our defense is the refusal to make the easy play and the insistance of throwing it up the middle. Jesus bank it of the glass if yoou dont have a sure outlet pass. Gilbert and Grebeshkov are both guilty of this as well as Chorney.

I Agree re: Grebs/Gilbert... [message #500266 is a reply to message #500264 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

....but I'm not sure what the correlation is between those two and Peckham's play.

Peckham doesn't have the ability to make any other play but the aforementioned ring-er-up-the-boards, while 37 and 77 have the ability to create/find other seams.

Do they always make wise decisions? No. Grebs is having an awful time right now.

But it's unconnected to Theo Peckham's inability to play adequate NHL hockey.

I know we all want that mean, nasty D man to inspire terror amongst opposing forwards. Laddy is the best they've got, and he's developing into an absolute gem.

Theo Peckham isn't that player.

Re: I Agree re: Grebs/Gilbert... [message #500269 is a reply to message #500266 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Well playing with one of those two has created plently of fires for Peckham. Anyone who has ever played D knows your partner can make you look awful when his game isnt on or is making dumb decisions The thing about Peckham is he keeps it safe. He doesn't pinch unless odds are on his side and he always makes the safe play.

Skating ability aside he will be a very good shutdown d-man once he gains some experience. Then again he mostly stays back so it isnt that big of an issue. Once he gets used to the speed and the angles of the NHL he will be fine.

Re: So, Now Can... [message #500258 is a reply to message #500252 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Ofer wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 15:57

BTR17 wrote on Sat, 31 October 2009 17:06

Don't want to get into anything about Horcoff so I omitted that part but this is spot on.
-Peckham was a train wreck but I suspect Quinn knows that...can't do much about that except shelter him as best as possible and I would argue that's not being done.

-Agree on Nilsson, he worked hard and even through some checks but it seems like everything needs to break right for him to produce. Just seems like one of those players that would get 50 points playing on one of the league's bottom feeders. Which brings me to....

-Andrew Cogliano. I'm sorry folks, he's awful. I feel the same way about him as I do about Nilsson except Cogs clearly has value and can be traded while the rest of the NHL hasn't figured this out yet. He CANNOT win a draw, loses his guys defensively and creates next to nothing offensively. He has FIVE points in 14 games and yes I realize he's been playing with slugs.
But this team needs to figure out how to be plus players and win games and I think every time the kid line goes out there it's a step backward. This line might be fun to watch at times but it is not a unit that will contribute to consistently winning hockey games.

IMO, Cogliano and Nilsson should be offloaded ASAP for players that can really make a difference. Gagner has gone way clear of these two, can we all agree on this?

The thing about the lesser lights for me is that the results expected should more or less be in line with the paycheck. That's why I'm a little easier on guys like Cogs who are still on their rookie deal. Nilsson does not get a pass. Cogs does. I will nail guys like Horcoff & Gilbert to the cross daily before I start ragging on a guy like Cogliano. Going down the list, there's just a lot of whipping fodder on this hockey team before you even approach Andrew Cogliano.

I Think You Can... [message #500260 is a reply to message #500258 ]
Sat, 31 October 2009 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

No Cups

...start looking critically at Cogliano's game in year 3 of his entry level deal.

What we're seeing is a perimeter player who is ill-suited to the C position. He's a winger, and it amazes that the organization hasn't identified that to this point.

Are there bigger issues on the club? Absolutely. Thankfully, his salary doesn't have the negative impact like other non-performers. But the writing is on the wall, I believe, for 13 in Edmonton.

They'll go in another direction, and rightfully so.

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Islanders (Game #15)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Boston (Game #14)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca