This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 NHL » 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs!Pages (10): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824284 is a reply to message #824281 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcometotheOC  is currently offline welcometotheOC

No Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:35

Perkele wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:29

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:29

Nice to see another team that grossly abuses the cap rules win a cup. Tampa set the standard and Vegas made sure to take full advantage.

Pretty clear what has to happen. Cheat. All the salary cap sites have shifted to next season so I can't find the number but I think I remember seeing the Knights being 17-18 mill over. It's starting to get out of hand.

I'm not saying this to pick on you RD but, I absolutely hate when people call cap circumvention "cheating". They are following the rules, maybe not exactly as the rules are intended but obviously the NHL has no problem with teams doing this (it has happened for a long time now) since they have done nothing to stop it.

Calling it cheating just sounds like people are upset that other teams are taking advantage of the rules and their team (our team) isn't. The anger is really misplaced, don't blame the NHL or the teams with good management that are doing this, blame the management teams that are still not taking advantage of the rules that are in place.

Word it however you want. Don't like calling it cheating, fine, call it manipulating the system to find ways around following the intended rules. I don't think when the NHL drew it up, they thought teams would be blowing past the cap by 10's of millions of dollars in the playoffs. I don't think they thought teams would be delaying guys getting surgeries by weeks or a month all so a player can be on LTIR during the season, the team uses his cap space to load up, then game 1 he's good as new.

That is what is happening right now. Teams are manipulating the system to circumvent the cap.

Perkele is correct. This isn't cheating - it's playing with the rules as they're written. The NHL has had 10 years to fix this and hasn't so it's just the accepted norm now. If we happen to be run by a dinosaur who doesn't like it so just stubbornly refuses to think about it? Well, that's our choice to be less competitive by refusing to use a tool that's provided for us.

The thing I have the biggest challenge with is that it doesn't even require any creativity any more because there's been so many teams trailblaze this. It's just simple copycat actions, so it should be really easy for the team to figure out. Not to mention, we DID use LTIR to our benefit this year and we were over the cap with our playoff team. We just didn't make full use of it. Sitting out Kane or Yamamoto would have given us the ability to add someone like Barbashev or JVR or even maybe a real goalie.

Even you must know that had the Oilers done that, they would have been penalized at least a 2nd round draft pick and the loophole would get closed

Send a private message to this user  

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824309 is a reply to message #824281 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:55

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:35

Perkele wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:29

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:29

Nice to see another team that grossly abuses the cap rules win a cup. Tampa set the standard and Vegas made sure to take full advantage.

Pretty clear what has to happen. Cheat. All the salary cap sites have shifted to next season so I can't find the number but I think I remember seeing the Knights being 17-18 mill over. It's starting to get out of hand.

I'm not saying this to pick on you RD but, I absolutely hate when people call cap circumvention "cheating". They are following the rules, maybe not exactly as the rules are intended but obviously the NHL has no problem with teams doing this (it has happened for a long time now) since they have done nothing to stop it.

Calling it cheating just sounds like people are upset that other teams are taking advantage of the rules and their team (our team) isn't. The anger is really misplaced, don't blame the NHL or the teams with good management that are doing this, blame the management teams that are still not taking advantage of the rules that are in place.

Word it however you want. Don't like calling it cheating, fine, call it manipulating the system to find ways around following the intended rules. I don't think when the NHL drew it up, they thought teams would be blowing past the cap by 10's of millions of dollars in the playoffs. I don't think they thought teams would be delaying guys getting surgeries by weeks or a month all so a player can be on LTIR during the season, the team uses his cap space to load up, then game 1 he's good as new.

That is what is happening right now. Teams are manipulating the system to circumvent the cap.

Perkele is correct. This isn't cheating - it's playing with the rules as they're written. The NHL has had 10 years to fix this and hasn't so it's just the accepted norm now. If we happen to be run by a dinosaur who doesn't like it so just stubbornly refuses to think about it? Well, that's our choice to be less competitive by refusing to use a tool that's provided for us.

The thing I have the biggest challenge with is that it doesn't even require any creativity any more because there's been so many teams trailblaze this. It's just simple copycat actions, so it should be really easy for the team to figure out. Not to mention, we DID use LTIR to our benefit this year and we were over the cap with our playoff team. We just didn't make full use of it. Sitting out Kane or Yamamoto would have given us the ability to add someone like Barbashev or JVR or even maybe a real goalie.

The Oilers aren't saints in all of this. They've signed 35+ contracts that aren't 35+, hidden guys on LTIR, signed McLeod late to exploit the LTIR loophole, and somehow gotten favorable retirements. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there have been other cap manipulations

Not that any of these are bad things, they're just not vilified by jealousy because the Oilers haven't won anything. The Bruins for example. The Bruins actively subverted the cap this year to open up a giant 1 year window. , but they flamed out so no one cares. The funny thing is how little winners care about the whining of losers. Like shrieking tears in a prairie storm. Trust me when I say Vegas does not care that Oilfans are whining.

Here's a direct quote from someone who was pictured drinking from the cup this week during the Oilers series, "You guys are comical. The team played well and hopefully the work ethic, disciplined style and commitment to do the things that result in wins continues."

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824310 is a reply to message #824309 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

Hiding a player on LTIR all season, or a significant chunk of the season, is a huge risk. Vegas couldn't have known that Mark Stone coming back would be a difference maker. You also gamble with your playoff chances when you don't play one of your top players. Would the Oilers have made the playoffs if Leon sat on LTIR from January 1 to game 1?
Not to pile on, I hate that crap as well. The solution is simple, you can't have more than a 1/82 of the salary cap dressed any given night. But they haven't changed it because they don't want to. The NHL likes where they are right now.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824274 is a reply to message #824264 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 10:18

Well now it really really sucks that we hired Holland instead of Kelly McCrimmom. His name was all around the last GM vacancy in Edmonton.

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey /the-front-runner-to-become-the-new-general-manager-of-the-e dmonton-oilers-and-other-all-star-break-musings-9-things

If I remember right, Vegas promoted him specifically so he would not take a job elsewhere.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824282 is a reply to message #824274 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am glad the finals are over. These have been some of the worst playoffs in awhile. Very little interest in my opinion. The Panthers were lucky to get in, then their goalie got red hot for a little over a month and they road him to the finals only to get destroyed because their goalie fell back to earth and they weren't a very good team to begin with. They had losses of 5-2, 7-2 and 9-3. Terrible final.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824283 is a reply to message #824274 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

That is what happened. Edmonton could have pushed harder. If they managed to convince Holland out of Detroit, I’m sure they could have for McCrimmon.

Clean house or bust

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824285 is a reply to message #824283 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 11:02

That is what happened. Edmonton could have pushed harder. If they managed to convince Holland out of Detroit, I’m sure they could have for McCrimmon.

Didn't even need McCrimmon specifically, just a GM with some balls and the will to play his hand as well as he could.

We had a layup to do exactly what Vegas did. Kane could have complained his wrist tendons/nerves were still not right and he needed more rehab. Yams could have complained about lingering concussion issues. Neither guy was ever 100% in the regular season after they came back anyways.

We could have been the ones adding Barbashev, Hill, another depth D easily if we had any will to play the same game Vegas and the Lightning played to win. Just no balls/creativity. Made 1 big move that thankfully worked out (highly doubt Holland expected Bouch to skyrocket his play like he did and have such good chemistry with Ekholm) and gave ourselves a pat on the back. Vegas has been making huge adds and gaming the system to the max for years now and finally it worked.

Can complain about ppl gaming the system, but it means a lot less when your team could have done the exact same thing and just wimped out trying, or potentially didn't even think of it.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824286 is a reply to message #824285 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

There aren't very many teams in the NHL that do what Vegas and Tampa has done to that extent but the Oilers need to look at that this season. The results speak for themselves. Following the rules or being honorable or however a person wants to word it, doesn't win you anything.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824287 is a reply to message #824286 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 11:33

There aren't very many teams in the NHL that do what Vegas and Tampa has done to that extent but the Oilers need to look at that this season. The results speak for themselves. Following the rules or being honorable or however a person wants to word it, doesn't win you anything.

Not many teams have big money guys available to make that play with. Kane getting his wrist stomped and Yams being a mess for this entire season did give us an opportunity. Instead we insisted on playing both guys when they were not 100% healthy instead of using their cap space to try to play by the same rules our biggest division opposition was.

There are moves other teams made to give ideas. Like the Leafs actually trading fort LTIR space in the past to make extra moves.

For sure, being honorable gets you nothing in this league. Like Drai trying to show everyone his 100% OK after that slash. Look at Stone grabbing his back flopping after every hit when he could actually be 100% fine. If Drai went down and held his wrist going to the dressing room and the Oilers said him being ready for game 5 was unknown, I bet Pietro gets a bigger suspension. This org is just so bad at playing the game within the game and trying to work the system in their favor. We are the ones usually being played. Nurse chasing down Hague to donate himself for a fight was a monumental error as well.

Still a team that just thinks just having the 2 best players will make everything work out in the end. We kinda suck at everything else when it comes to trying to force things to work in our favor, taking every single inch that is presented to us. Still bad at handling adversity (still annoyed by that huge choke with the 5 min PP in game 5), still get mind-f'd by backup goalies, suck at trying to work the refs, suck at trying to work the cap. Where was Ken Holland after his 2nd best player got attacked away from the play and the league gave Pietro a little wrist slap btw?

[Updated on: Wed, 14 June 2023 11:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824288 is a reply to message #824287 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 11:36

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 11:33

Not many teams have big money guys available to make that play with. Kane getting his wrist stomped and Yams being a mess for this entire season did give us an opportunity. Instead we insisted on playing both guys when they were not 100% healthy instead of using their cap space to try to play by the same rules our biggest division opposition was.

There are moves other teams made to give ideas. Like the Leafs actually trading fort LTIR space in the past to make extra moves.

For sure, being honorable gets you nothing in this league. Like Drai trying to show everyone his 100% OK after that slash. Look at Stone grabbing his back flopping after every hit when he could actually be 100% fine. If Drai went down and held his wrist going to the dressing room and the Oilers said him being ready for game 5 was unknown, I bet Pietro gets a bigger suspension. This org is just so bad at playing the game within the game and trying to work the system in their favor. We are the ones usually being played. Nurse chasing down Hague to donate himself for a fight was a monumental error as well.

It doesn't even have to be big ticket guys. It could be any guy. Take Ceci as an example. He was playing with a bad groin. I assume since he could play to some degree, it wasn't bad enough he needed surgery but it was hurt enough that he was clearly no where near as effective. So when this happens again, I would like to see the Oilers be like Vegas, take Ceci or whoever is nursing something this coming season, put him on LTIR right before the deadline, then use his cap space to bring in someone else. If he needs a month to recover. Great, give him a month, then on top of that, an extra 2 weeks of conditioning so game 1 of the playoffs, Ceci is fully healthy and up to game speed. Then come playoffs when the cap doesn't count, now you have a 3+ mill dman playing in your 3rd pairing dman instead of a guy making league min.

I wouldn't even hide it. Let him play 20 mins the night before then 9 am the next day, put him on LTIR. Come out after and say he's been dealing with something for a while now and he woke up this morning after the game and it just got way worse and he couldn't go.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824302 is a reply to message #822209 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Hats off to Aaron Ekblad.. had a broken foot since Bruins series, two separate dislocated shoulders, torn oblique..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824304 is a reply to message #824302 ]
Wed, 14 June 2023 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 14 June 2023 16:25

Hats off to Aaron Ekblad.. had a broken foot since Bruins series, two separate dislocated shoulders, torn oblique..

Damn. That guys career is cursed after going 1st OA. Just injury after injury in every possible way.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824312 is a reply to message #824304 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Agent Allan Walsh tweeted last night that the NHL finals ratings were down 43% from last year and were the least viewed finals since 2007. I can believe it. 2 non traditional markets in the finals. I am sure in Gary's delusional world, he was pumped but for the majority of fans who watch the NHL, what was interesting about those 2 teams.

Growing the game my ass.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824315 is a reply to message #824312 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 09:42

Agent Allan Walsh tweeted last night that the NHL finals ratings were down 43% from last year and were the least viewed finals since 2007. I can believe it. 2 non traditional markets in the finals. I am sure in Gary's delusional world, he was pumped but for the majority of fans who watch the NHL, what was interesting about those 2 teams.

Growing the game my ass.

Hopefully the gambling ad revenues made up for it. Can the NHL get a cut of the actual gambling too?

Need a double down on gambling next season IMO. Need to get that cap up.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824316 is a reply to message #824315 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 10:57

Growing the game my ass.

Hopefully the gambling ad revenues made up for it. Can the NHL get a cut of the actual gambling too?

I would hope the NHL is getting a cut, there sure are a lot of commercials for it during every single game plus even if you watch highlights on Sportsnet streaming.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824318 is a reply to message #824315 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Growing the game my ass.

Allan Walsh should just be worried about what that means for him and his clients. He's pretty happy to share bad news and to try to make the NHL look bad - which is biting the hand that feeds him.

Not that he's wrong here - the NHL just kills its own momentum going into the Finals each year by spacing out the games so much so you have days in a row to forget about hockey. I think that's a bigger problem than what teams are in the Finals - and certainly, I don't want the NHL to do anything towards making sure the big draw teams have a better shot at advancing.

Canadian fans who complain about "non-traditional" markets always amuse me. Why so invested in keeping hockey from other places? Why is there this belief that no one outside of Canada or the Northern States and a few hot spots in Europe could ever really care about the game? If you think it's the best game in the world, then why wouldn't you think it can win over new fans?

I mean, soccer didn't originate in Brazil or Argentina, but they sure do seem to love to watch and play it there. The Japanese and several Latin American areas are pretty good at baseball now. The NFL has managed to continually grow it's brand worldwide. NBA too. Why is there this thought that hockey can only ever be niche?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824320 is a reply to message #824318 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 11:23

Growing the game my ass.

Allan Walsh should just be worried about what that means for him and his clients. He's pretty happy to share bad news and to try to make the NHL look bad - which is biting the hand that feeds him.

Not that he's wrong here - the NHL just kills its own momentum going into the Finals each year by spacing out the games so much so you have days in a row to forget about hockey. I think that's a bigger problem than what teams are in the Finals - and certainly, I don't want the NHL to do anything towards making sure the big draw teams have a better shot at advancing.

Canadian fans who complain about "non-traditional" markets always amuse me. Why so invested in keeping hockey from other places? Why is there this belief that no one outside of Canada or the Northern States and a few hot spots in Europe could ever really care about the game? If you think it's the best game in the world, then why wouldn't you think it can win over new fans?

I mean, soccer didn't originate in Brazil or Argentina, but they sure do seem to love to watch and play it there. The Japanese and several Latin American areas are pretty good at baseball now. The NFL has managed to continually grow it's brand worldwide. NBA too. Why is there this thought that hockey can only ever be niche?

Yeah, hockey in the south doesn't bug me but hockey in June certainly does. I know they don't want to go hard against baseball playoffs or NFL opening weeks, but someone should be asking if moving the season up 4-6 would be better. I know it would be for me.

I do think the NHL should work with the NFL schedule. Limiting games on Sunday during the NFL makes sense. But why not try to capitalize on the huge number of fans who travel for NFL games? If Washington plays in Dallas on Sunday, make damn sure the Capitals are visiting the Stars that Saturday. Every Thursday night NFL game in a hockey city should have a Friday night NHL game. Make it easy to watch hockey.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824324 is a reply to message #824320 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 11:49

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 11:23

Growing the game my ass.

Yeah, hockey in the south doesn't bug me but hockey in June certainly does. I know they don't want to go hard against baseball playoffs or NFL opening weeks, but someone should be asking if moving the season up 4-6 would be better. I know it would be for me.

I do think the NHL should work with the NFL schedule. Limiting games on Sunday during the NFL makes sense. But why not try to capitalize on the huge number of fans who travel for NFL games? If Washington plays in Dallas on Sunday, make damn sure the Capitals are visiting the Stars that Saturday. Every Thursday night NFL game in a hockey city should have a Friday night NHL game. Make it easy to watch hockey.

I don't really get the concern about the baseball playoffs. Those are early season hockey games, so if you get slightly lower ratings at that point, who cares? The playoffs are the part that really matters.

Also if they aren't going to adjust their timeline at all, why not work with the NBA to try to make a big deal about the Finals weeks? Align the timelines and cross-promote. It would keep something on the calendar virtually every night and could help to build some excitement.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824325 is a reply to message #824324 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 13:32

I don't really get the concern about the baseball playoffs. Those are early season hockey games, so if you get slightly lower ratings at that point, who cares? The playoffs are the part that really matters.

Also if they aren't going to adjust their timeline at all, why not work with the NBA to try to make a big deal about the Finals weeks? Align the timelines and cross-promote. It would keep something on the calendar virtually every night and could help to build some excitement.

I think there used to be a lot more overlap between hockey and baseball fans. Decades ago the baseball playoffs had fewer teams, started and ended earlier, generally got more attention, and the pennant race was a bigger deal. Now? Who cares? Baseball can be on Sportsnet 1.

I do think the NHL and NBA have a informal agreement to respect each other's big days. Finals, Christmas, Winter Classic.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824327 is a reply to message #824325 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 13:42

I think there used to be a lot more overlap between hockey and baseball fans. Decades ago the baseball playoffs had fewer teams, started and ended earlier, generally got more attention, and the pennant race was a bigger deal. Now? Who cares? Baseball can be on Sportsnet 1.

I do think the NHL and NBA have a informal agreement to respect each other's big days. Finals, Christmas, Winter Classic.

Why informal though? I agree - they do seem to stay out of each other's way even with dueling Finals, but seems to me like cross-promotion and making a bigger deal about it would be a lot better for both because then it would seem like a way past the dead space days.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824328 is a reply to message #824327 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 13:54

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 13:42

Why informal though? I agree - they do seem to stay out of each other's way even with dueling Finals, but seems to me like cross-promotion and making a bigger deal about it would be a lot better for both because then it would seem like a way past the dead space days.

If I had to guess, I think the NBA doesn't need the NHL. Basketball keeps attention in more of their local markets and nationally. Hockey is a secondary concern in most American markets, an after thought nationally, and Canada is already uninterested, bitter, and at the lake by Victoria Day. What does hockey have to offer anyone?

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824334 is a reply to message #824328 ]
Thu, 15 June 2023 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

I don’t know - I’d go the other way. Start after Christmas and finish end of August.

Summer 2020 I quite enjoyed a beer on the deck and ”playoff” hockey in August.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824338 is a reply to message #824334 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 19:44

I don’t know - I’d go the other way. Start after Christmas and finish end of August.

I'm ok with this too. The end of summer doesn't have the same excitement as early summer. End of school versus back to school, I guess.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824339 is a reply to message #824334 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kungpaobenji27  is currently offline kungpaobenji27

No Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 20:44

I like this but not sure it'll ever happen. Fans & the players will keep insisting that the hockey should only be played during winter months.

I feel this is advantageous for colder small market teams. Why are big time free agents willing to sign in colder small markets such as Buffalo & Green Bay in the NFL? It's because those players obviously get to skip the second half of winter.....

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824340 is a reply to message #824334 ]
Fri, 16 June 2023 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 15 June 2023 19:44

I think 2020 was such a weird year though. I agree - that was fun (right up until we got eliminated by the bleeping Blackhawks) and I even watched a bunch of the Finals that year, but there was so little else happening that it was a bit of a different situation. No vacations to plan that year!

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824447 is a reply to message #822209 ]
Tue, 20 June 2023 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Big Head Hockey @BigHeadHcky
The 2020-21 Buffalo Sabres had:

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

Brandon Montour was also on that team.

Hall, Ullmark both take part in a historical season for the Bruins, Ullmark being a major part of it, likely near sweep for the Vezina.

Eichel top playoff scorer, cup winner

Reinhart and Montour both big contributors for a cup final run in Florida.

It's amazing how talent can be just wasted on a garbage poorly run franchise.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824455 is a reply to message #824447 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 20 June 2023 23:50

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

Hall, Ullmark both take part in a historical season for the Bruins, Ullmark being a major part of it, likely near sweep for the Vezina.

Despite being on a record setting president's trophy winning team such as the 22-23 Bruins, Taylor Hall has yet to be involved on a team that won a true non-play in playoff series....

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824457 is a reply to message #824455 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

kungpaobenji27 wrote on Wed, 21 June 2023 11:54

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

Despite being on a record setting president's trophy winning team such as the 22-23 Bruins, Taylor Hall has yet to be involved on a team that won a true non-play in playoff series....

He was one of the only useful bruins in that series. I think he is just cursed. Some totally slacky turds in this league have got to just ride coat tails to playoff success.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824467 is a reply to message #824457 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Wed, 21 June 2023 12:12

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

He was one of the only useful bruins in that series. I think he is just cursed. Some totally slacky turds in this league have got to just ride coat tails to playoff success.

5-3-8 in seven games. He was not the problem for the Bruins. Things just fell apart for them for whatever reason. They had some injuries and their goaltending - top notch all year long - hit a rough patch. Not the first team to have a great regular season and then fall short in the first round. Maybe there's something to the idea that a lack of adversity before it really matters sometimes can be a challenge for a team.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824468 is a reply to message #824467 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 21 June 2023 14:09

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

5-3-8 in seven games. He was not the problem for the Bruins. Things just fell apart for them for whatever reason. They had some injuries and their goaltending - top notch all year long - hit a rough patch. Not the first team to have a great regular season and then fall short in the first round. Maybe there's something to the idea that a lack of adversity before it really matters sometimes can be a challenge for a team.

Nope. It's Taylor Hall. I think the Oilers wrecked him. It's kind of a shame the Bruins did such a good job manipulating the cap this year making them a one and done cup window team. I really like watching them play this year. They were so dynamic.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824471 is a reply to message #824467 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

How many years in a row do I have to tell y'all how massive of a loser this guy is before you'll believe me? Is 12 seasons not a big enough sample size? Just a massive stinking turd of a loser.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824473 is a reply to message #824471 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 21 June 2023 14:36

— Taylor Hall
— Jack Eichel
— Sam Reinhart
— Rasmus Dahlin
— Tage Thompson
— Linus Ullmark
— Victor Olafsson
— Jeff Skinner
— Dylan Cozens
— Casey Mittelstadt

15-34-7 Record

How many years in a row do I have to tell y'all how massive of a loser this guy is before you'll believe me? Is 12 seasons not a big enough sample size? Just a massive stinking turd of a loser.

I'm still so curious as to what he did to you to breed such personal hatred for the guy.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824475 is a reply to message #824455 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

To be totally fair to this useless trash, the 2020-2021 Bruins defeated the Capitals 4 games to 1 in the first round.

Re: 2022-2023 NHL Playoffs! [message #824485 is a reply to message #824475 ]
Wed, 21 June 2023 20:32 Go to previous message

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 21 June 2023 15:47

To be totally fair to this useless trash, the 2020-2021 Bruins defeated the Capitals 4 games to 1 in the first round.

My bad thx for the correction

Pages (10): [ «  <  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10]  
Previous Topic:NHL Arbitration List
Next Topic:Hockey Analytics
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca