This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4)Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821979 is a reply to message #821977 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 17:20

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 16:00

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 15:15

AndersonRules wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 15:08

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 15:04

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 14:04

The media is coming out saying Campbell played lights out last night. Maybe I am just jaded, but I saw a pretty shaky goalie who got lucky. Skinner plays a way quieter game normally. I like a goalie who will freeze the puck lots and always make the routine save, even though he's not always on the hi-light reel making a spectacular save.

I agree entirely. I thought he was goaltending on a unicycle while juggling chainsaws. Everything seemed like a scramble around the net.

Love the phrasing! Favorite post of the day!

Nonetheless ... in his last three games, Campbell has 2GA on what, 80 shots or so?
But y'all almost won me over to going back to Skinner with the long-run argument ... though even still, has Skinner given us any indication that he can weather the playoff pressure cooker without wilting? The first 4 games weren't great, and the pressure only increases as the team goes deeper.
My instinct is still to stick with the hotter hand - I'd go back to Campbell tomorrow.

I believe in process over results in most circumstances. Especially going into big games I think the goaltender should look like he's in position and confident moving around. Unless it's Hasek. The potential for Campbell to be a total cluster is too great despite a solid run late in the season.

The other reason I go with Skinner tomorrow is it leaves Campbell as a viable backup should Skinner struggle. I think benching Skinner after 3.1 games burns him mentally. If Campbell struggles in game 5, which is definitely possible, that leaves the Oilers with two broken goalies. I leave Campbell chambered for game 6 if they're down 3-2.

The mental side of a goalie is huge. You made Skinner the starter to begin March. To not give him the starts benefit of the doubt after 1 person I don't think helps his mental state and potentially puts doubt in his mind. You can pull Skinner last game and tell him it's not his fault and you need something to wake up the team. Which is 100% true. They needed a spark and like it or not, pulling your starter can often do that and it worked. So you go back to Skinner because he is your guy. If he falters, you have Campbell who for the last 7 weeks has known he's the back up and in that role hopefully is also confident because he came in like back ups do and shut the door.

Worthey of note, is Jack Campbell mentally strong enough to be thrust into a starters role after 40 minutes of adequate tending?

All this talk of shakiness in the playoffs regarding both goalies. Rebounds too. Remember Mike Smith? He gave me fits most nights last spring.

In 3.33 playoff games I’ve found Skinner to be very average. Average might not cut it with our D in the postseason. I think Campbell has a heater run in him. I really do. But Woody would look pretty bad if he sent him out there for game 5 and he soiled the sheets. Skinner will likely start, but I doubt we have seen the last of Jack Campbell in the playoffs. Possibly this very series.

I would keep Skinner's leash very short. Hope he finally takes command of his crease in game 5.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2023 18:08]

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821983 is a reply to message #821977 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 17:20

Worthey of note, is Jack Campbell mentally strong enough to be thrust into a starters role after 40 minutes of adequate tending?

I don't think so. He's noted for being extremely hard on himself and looked anything but steady last night.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821974 is a reply to message #821802 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

I thought this was pretty funny .. McDavid hopping happy!

https://i.imgflip.com/7jctu4.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821976 is a reply to message #821974 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 16:40

I'd break my neck. His vertical on skates is better than my vertical warmed up, in the gym, with ten minutes of stretching and wearing spring loaded running shoes.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821981 is a reply to message #821976 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 17:18

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 24 April 2023 16:40

I'd break my neck. His vertical on skates is better than my vertical warmed up, in the gym, with ten minutes of stretching and wearing spring loaded running shoes.

His vertical on skates is akin to the vertical of my pants at launch

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #4) [message #821984 is a reply to message #821981 ]
Mon, 24 April 2023 20:00 Go to previous message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

We are winning game 5

Pages (4): [ «  <  1  2  3  4]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #5)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #3)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca