This day on May 14
None

Happy Birthday To: feepa, g2k, Oilfan In UK, Dan86, swany, Oilers000, canoilers, lmaonade, ont_oil_fan81, I'm_Topher, cliffordbaker, headpins

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Nurse - Where do we go? Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Nurse - Where do we go? [message #813004 is a reply to message #812888 ]
Tue, 25 October 2022 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

https://moneypuck.com/stats.htm
(sort by give-aways)

Here's some stats to chew on.. small sample size.. but that's the sample we're judging the Oilers on so far.. stat of note is the high-risk, defensive zone give-aways..

.. also notice that while Leon leads in give-aways.. they don't usually occur in the defensive zone

Nurse (or Bouchard) can't be at the top of this list if the Oilers are going to win in the Playoffs.

Oh.. and for a limited comparison.. Colton Parayko has One (1) give-away this season.. entire St. Louis team has a total of 21.. Tory Krug has zero.

NHL Leaders.. All Zone Giveaways .. (Defensive Zone Giveaways)
1 Leon Draisaitl 16 (3)
2 Darnell Nurse 14 (13)
3 Kaiden Guhle 14 (10)
4 David Pastrnak 12 (4)
5 Evan Bouchard 11 (9)
6 Mitchell Marner 11 (3)
7 Erik Karlsson 10 (4)
8 Alexander Romanov 10 (7)
9 Noah Dobson 9 (6)
10 Connor McDavid 9 (2)

NHL Leaders.. Defensive Zone Giveaways
1 Kaiden Guhle 13
2 Darnell Nurse 10
3 Evan Bouchard 9
4 Nate Schmidt 8
5 Alexander Romanov 7
6 Esa Lindell 7
7 Noah Dobson 6
8 Matt Roy 6
9 Justin Holl 6
10 Mark Giordano 6

[Updated on: Thu, 27 October 2022 00:57]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Nurse - Where do we go? [message #813010 is a reply to message #813004 ]
Wed, 26 October 2022 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 25 October 2022 17:29

(sort by give-aways)

Here's some stats to chew on.. small sample size.. but that's the sample we're judging the Oilers on so far.. stat of note is the high-risk, defensive zone give-aways..

.. also notice that while Leon leads in give-aways.. they don't usually occur in the defensive zone

Nurse (or Bouchard) can't be at the top of this list if the Oilers are going to win in the Playoffs.

Oh.. and for a limited comparison.. Colton Parayko has One (1) give-away this season.. entire St. Louis team has a total of 21.. Tory Krug has zero.

1 Leon Draisaitl 16 (3)
2 Darnell Nurse 14 (13)
3 Kaiden Guhle 14 (10)
4 David Pastrnak 12 (4)
5 Evan Bouchard 11 (9)
6 Mitchell Marner 11 (3)
7 Erik Karlsson 10 (4)
9 Connor McDavid 9 (6)
10 Noah Dobson 9 (2)

1 Kaiden Guhle 13
2 Darnell Nurse 10
3 Evan Bouchard 9
4 Nate Schmidt 8
5 Alexander Romanov 7
6 Esa Lindell 7
7 Noah Dobson 6
8 Matt Roy 6
9 Justin Holl 6
10 Mark Giordano 6

Pretty obvious you don't like Nurse.
- You think he makes too much money which I agree he probably does. He got market value on his extension at the time but unfortunately due to others, the market spiked right when they talked extension and he cashed in. He was underpaid for all his under deals but regardless he makes too much now.
- You think he isn't very good defensively. Doesn't matter he basically plays exclusively against the teams very best every game. He pretty much starts every D zone start for the Oilers and gets very little O zone time. He was +18 doing all of that and +2 this year but he isn't good enough defensively.
- You think he doesn't score enough. He gets almost ZERO PP time every year. If you look at his last 4 seasons, over 82 games, he scores about 40 pts. Last year in 71 games, he had 9 goals, 35 pts with little to no PP time. That's a 10 goal, 40 pt season in 82. BUt that's not enough for you. Most offensive guys get tons of PP time to prop up their points, Nurse doesn't.
- You think at his age he should be a PP QB. Before Barrie got here, even when Nuge, Hall and Eberle were the guys, everyone said "Oilers need a right shot on the PP". When it became McD, Leon, Nuge as the big 3 on the PP, all left shots, the talk was they need a right shot on the point on the PP to offset all those lefts. Nurse is a left shot. But you hold that against him because the Oilers went out and got that right shot to offset all their high end left shot skill.

So my question is, since you aren't a Nurse fan and it seems like you think the Oilers would be better off without him, who should the Oilers get to replace him? You have to keep in mind to replace Nurse you need a guy who can skate well, move the puck OK, play 23+ mins a night (maybe more), play almost all the teams mins against the other teams best, start the majority of the Oilers D zone starts, kill penalties, and provide a minimum of 8-10 goals, 40 pts because that's what he produces every year. That's without PP time. He is big and nasty and has a physical edge which I believe his replacement should have if you are replacing what Nurse does completely. Bonus points if the Dman can run the Oilers PP but for me, running the PP isn't a must. But I expect that if you trade Nurse, you are getting all of the rest.

So who is replacing what Nurse does for the Oilers, does it better than Nurse AND I assume you want that guy to make less than Nurse? I don't pretend to be an expert on all the NHL Dmen but when I look at job list of Nurse for the Oilers, especially minutes played, the list of guys that can do all of that pretty well and play that much and give you mostly really good minutes every game tend to be teams best dmen who get norris talk. I am not saying Nurse should get norris talk, I am just saying what Nurse does and the amount he plays is genuinely reserved for guys who get talk about Olympic teams and awards.

Re: Nurse - Where do we go? [message #813012 is a reply to message #813010 ]
Wed, 26 October 2022 10:30 Go to previous message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 26 October 2022 07:56

Skookum Jim wrote on Tue, 25 October 2022 17:29

(sort by give-aways)

1 Leon Draisaitl 16 (3)
2 Darnell Nurse 14 (13)
3 Kaiden Guhle 14 (10)
4 David Pastrnak 12 (4)
5 Evan Bouchard 11 (9)
6 Mitchell Marner 11 (3)
7 Erik Karlsson 10 (4)
9 Connor McDavid 9 (6)
10 Noah Dobson 9 (2)

1 Kaiden Guhle 13
2 Darnell Nurse 10
3 Evan Bouchard 9
4 Nate Schmidt 8
5 Alexander Romanov 7
6 Esa Lindell 7
7 Noah Dobson 6
8 Matt Roy 6
9 Justin Holl 6
10 Mark Giordano 6

Pretty obvious you don't like Nurse.

I love Nurse. eom

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ St. Louis (Game #7)
Next Topic:Review: Pittsburgh @ Edmonton (Game #6)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca