This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806774 is a reply to message #806773 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 09:12

Mike wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 09:08

Even when we tied it up - I fist pumped and all, but I really didn't feel like we were going to hang on or take the lead.

I didn't really feel like many of our goals were scored because we were pressing or "taking over". Honestly, other than McDavid's goal, peak Markstrom probably stops most of the others. The Hyman goals were pretty weak with Markstrom practically sitting inside his net. Draisaitl's was a decent shot, but Markstrom was pretty deep on that one too. I guess the Yamamoto one was good - great effort by McDavid and a tap in for Yamamoto.

I realize all goals count the same, but like I said, even having scoring that 6th one to erase a 4 goal deficit, I still never really felt like we were in it or a threat to win.

Draisaitl should maybe be given a day off.

It is sad how expected it was that we would just stop playing after tying. I didn't think we had much of a shot either. Team needs to look ready from the start of the game. Simple as that. Played like trash, tied the game and went back to trash and lost at least 3 times just in these playoffs alone. It is a classic Oilers routine.

I certainly expected it.

Markstrom looked half asleep last night. I wonder if he got bored when the game was 3-0 and simply threw the engine into neutral for a night. Until the Oilers can prove they're an equal to Calgary, I don't believe they are.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806776 is a reply to message #806773 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 12:12

Mike wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 09:08

Even when we tied it up - I fist pumped and all, but I really didn't feel like we were going to hang on or take the lead.

I didn't really feel like many of our goals were scored because we were pressing or "taking over". Honestly, other than McDavid's goal, peak Markstrom probably stops most of the others. The Hyman goals were pretty weak with Markstrom practically sitting inside his net. Draisaitl's was a decent shot, but Markstrom was pretty deep on that one too. I guess the Yamamoto one was good - great effort by McDavid and a tap in for Yamamoto.

I realize all goals count the same, but like I said, even having scoring that 6th one to erase a 4 goal deficit, I still never really felt like we were in it or a threat to win.

Draisaitl should maybe be given a day off.

It is sad how expected it was that we would just stop playing after tying. I didn't think we had much of a shot either. Team needs to look ready from the start of the game. Simple as that. Played like trash, tied the game and went back to trash and lost at least 3 times just in these playoffs alone. It is a classic Oilers routine.

I wish I could just blame the goalies, but it was pretty bad all around.

And the most disappointing thing for me last night was the PP. Did we have 30 seconds of O-zone time in those 8 minutes? We got 2 shots on 4 PPs.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806756 is a reply to message #806702 ]
Wed, 18 May 2022 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Leon being hurt and forced up to Connors wing really hinders this team against a team like the Flames

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806757 is a reply to message #806756 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 18 May 2022 22:44

Leon being hurt and forced up to Connors wing really hinders this team against a team like the Flames

It sucks. Was hoping that 4 days of rest was going to help.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806758 is a reply to message #806757 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 00:11

It sucks. Was hoping that 4 days of rest was going to help.

Imagine him playing on it will just prolong how long the sprain takes to heal. We're never getting 100% Drai these playoffs anymore. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse at least.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806759 is a reply to message #806756 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Leon being so immobile really hinders the PP, I'd maybe try swapping Leon out for Kane in the kill shot zone.. Hyman and Kane both could cycle in front of the crease.. make their D-men lose position until one of them is free for an open pass and shot.. They need to do something that PP was not dangerous at all.. flames PK isn't that good.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806765 is a reply to message #806702 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Sorry for the negativity, gang. This team gives me fits.

Team needs to knuckle down Friday.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806766 is a reply to message #806765 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 09:27

Sorry for the negativity, gang. This team gives me fits.

Team needs to knuckle down Friday.

Baby steps - on Friday, don't let in the first shot and don't be down 2 goals less than 2 minutes in!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806768 is a reply to message #806702 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Suomalainen  is currently offline Suomalainen

No Cups

When it was tied at 6 (for that 90 seconds), Buccigross on ESPN called the game a freak show.

I think I still would have preferredno comeback, let the big horses rest and try to win game 2.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806790 is a reply to message #806702 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

At least the Oilers (Smith) made the record books.. fastest two goals to start a game in NHL playoff history.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806793 is a reply to message #806702 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

How did McDavid have 4pts and is a -1? Draisatl 3pts -2...Nurse and his new contract pending 0pts -3, RNH 2pts -1.

Woof.

Kane and Hyman did what they did and played even...we need more of that.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806794 is a reply to message #806793 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Gregor talked today about Nurse maybe having a core issue and he gave a few things he notices he doesn't do.
- His skating is OK but not as elite as normal. If there is something up with your hip or core, that would make sense.
- He supposedly likes to push off guys and keep them back with a hand. He's not doing that. If he's got a core issue, a lot of your power comes from your core so if it's hurt, it makes sense he wouldn't do that.
- He's not as physical. Nurse had 196 hits in 71 games. If you have a core issue you probably aren't propelling your body into someone very often.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806797 is a reply to message #806794 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 15:05

Gregor talked today about Nurse maybe having a core issue and he gave a few things he notices he doesn't do.
- His skating is OK but not as elite as normal. If there is something up with your hip or core, that would make sense.
- He supposedly likes to push off guys and keep them back with a hand. He's not doing that. If he's got a core issue, a lot of your power comes from your core so if it's hurt, it makes sense he wouldn't do that.
- He's not as physical. Nurse had 196 hits in 71 games. If you have a core issue you probably aren't propelling your body into someone very often.

Hip flexor/groin likely for Nurse. He looked slow, weak in puck battles. He looks like 60%.
Apart from that, needs to stop rushing up the ice and lobbing muffins into the goalie to kill a possession.

Leon looks like the same.. I remember a regular season game near the end of the season where Leon got tripped up and went flying into the end boards.. he went in kind of splay legged.. thought it was knee but maybe it was the groin/hip flexor.. he can't seem to push off hard for his first 2 or 3 steps.. getting caught standing still.

Nuge and Kane also missed a couple of practices before game 1, they might have some injuries as well.. if they do.. then hopefully they heal up.. quick!

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806799 is a reply to message #806794 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 16:05

Nurse’ core issue is between the ears. He’s a pretender.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806800 is a reply to message #806794 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 16:05

I really really want to believe this narrative with Nurse. We've committed so much to him moving forward. That darn JFresh chart for Nurse keeps popping into my head. I guess we were bound to give a few McDavid effect contracts out based on counting stats given our management.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806796 is a reply to message #806793 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Rutuu wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 15:51

How did McDavid have 4pts and is a -1? Draisatl 3pts -2...Nurse and his new contract pending 0pts -3, RNH 2pts -1.

Woof.

Kane and Hyman did what they did and played even...we need more of that.

According to some back of the post-it note math, that means McDavid was on for 4 goals for but also 5 goals against. Which isn't exactly elite. Interesting that, despite scoring 6 goals, only 6 Oilers registered a point. Worrisome.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806801 is a reply to message #806702 ]
Thu, 19 May 2022 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

Gasm’s Musty Game 2 Lineup

Nuge and Puljujarvi winger PAIR.
Kane and Hyman winger PAIR.
Foegele and Yamo winger PAIR.

McDavid and Leon rotate thru being those pairs Centre.

Malone-Ryan-Kassian

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouch
Nurse-Barrie
Nemo

Arch, McLeod and Kowboy out. Malone, Foegele and Nemo in.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806820 is a reply to message #806801 ]
Fri, 20 May 2022 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Thu, 19 May 2022 16:33

Malone-Ryan-Kassian

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouch
Nurse-Barrie
Nemo

Foegele/Yamo is too weak of a combo. Foegele kills plays dead - can't set up chances at all and can't score or hit. He's in my doghouse. Would rather have Arch or McLeod out there because they at least carry the risk of scoring or forechecking.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806874 is a reply to message #806820 ]
Fri, 20 May 2022 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

stemhovlichski wrote on Fri, 20 May 2022 01:28

Malone-Ryan-Kassian

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouch
Nurse-Barrie
Nemo

Foegele/Yamo is too weak of a combo. Foegele kills plays dead - can't set up chances at all and can't score or hit. He's in my doghouse. Would rather have Arch or McLeod out there because they at least carry the risk of scoring or forechecking.

Really? Yamo is everything the media and a couple fans with Archibald was in this playoffs. When he forechecks and hits it serves a purpose, not just running into a guy in the neutral zone all while taking himself out of the play.
As far as scoring goes, when the team needs a goal I would take Yamo with the puck 10 times out of 10 if the other choice is Archibald. Yamo is no McDavid but I notice him in the offensive zone a few times a game. I barely notice Archibald at all.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806875 is a reply to message #806874 ]
Fri, 20 May 2022 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5 Cups

PlusOne wrote on Fri, 20 May 2022 16:23

Malone-Ryan-Kassian

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouch
Nurse-Barrie
Nemo

Really? Yamo is everything the media and a couple fans with Archibald was in this playoffs. When he forechecks and hits it serves a purpose, not just running into a guy in the neutral zone all while taking himself out of the play.
As far as scoring goes, when the team needs a goal I would take Yamo with the puck 10 times out of 10 if the other choice is Archibald. Yamo is no McDavid but I notice him in the offensive zone a few times a game. I barely notice Archibald at all.

Seems, based on lines today, that the Gasm Musty’tron 6900 hit a big ‘ol homerun on that Foegele - Yamo pairing. We input our pairs with Drai as a winger, based on our pant launching technology, but seems he’s stuck to wing duty which paired with Kane and Connor at Centre gives us mega pant launch vibes.

JP as a winger for Nuge is paradise as well.

Only thing I’d change with these lines from todays skate is, yank Arch and put in Holloway or Malone.

Also, it’s funny how certain posters have gone quiet over Archibald these last couple days.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806883 is a reply to message #806875 ]
Fri, 20 May 2022 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stemhovlichski  is currently offline stemhovlichski

No Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 May 2022 17:04

Malone-Ryan-Kassian

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouch
Nurse-Barrie
Nemo

Seems, based on lines today, that the Gasm Musty’tron 6900 hit a big ‘ol homerun on that Foegele - Yamo pairing. We input our pairs with Drai as a winger, based on our pant launching technology, but seems he’s stuck to wing duty which paired with Kane and Connor at Centre gives us mega pant launch vibes.

Only thing I’d change with these lines from todays skate is, yank Arch and put in Holloway or Malone.

Also, it’s funny how certain posters have gone quiet over Archibald these last couple days.

I didn't call out Yamo for being weak, just think that him playing with Foegele and Archie isn't a good combo. Yamo is a great forechecker and hard worker in the slot. Wish we had him on a power forecheck scoring line.

Restored: "We're sucking hind banana here." - Pat Quinn, Jan 18, 2010

"...the Oilers have been rebuilding for so long that it’s hard not to be cynical." - NBC's Ryan Dadoun Jan 2, 2015

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1) [message #806886 is a reply to message #806883 ]
Fri, 20 May 2022 20:35 Go to previous message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

stemhovlichski wrote on Fri, 20 May 2022 20:32

Oscargasm wrote on Fri, 20 May 2022 17:04

Malone-Ryan-Kassian

Kulak-Ceci
Keith-Bouch
Nurse-Barrie
Nemo

I didn't call out Yamo for being weak, just think that him playing with Foegele and Archie isn't a good combo. Yamo is a great forechecker and hard worker in the slot. Wish we had him on a power forecheck scoring line.

Fair enough.
When you said this "Foegele/Yamo is too weak of a combo. " I though you were lumping Yamo in with the invisible man, Foegele.
Also this " Would rather have Arch or McLeod out there because they at least carry the risk of scoring or forechecking." I also thought you were putting those two above Yamo in terms of forecheck and scoring threat.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #2)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Calgary (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca