This day on April 28
None

Happy Birthday To: Oilerfan in Tulsa, rrathel716

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #764885 is a reply to message #764883 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 17:51

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 16:08

Kassian's 2020 calendar year:

- Suspended for 9 games (two incidents)
- 23 games played
- 2 goals, 5 assists, 7 points
- 4 year contract extension at $3.2M per season

Think it is safe to say he's kind of return to his normal self after a heater to end 2019.

I honestly didn't even realize he was playing last night.

I believe he had low time on ice for forwards. I was wondering if he got hurt at some point without anyone noticing.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #764887 is a reply to message #764882 ]
Thu, 06 August 2020 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

mightyreasoner wrote on Thu, 06 August 2020 17:08

Kassian's 2020 calendar year:

- Suspended for 9 games (two incidents)
- 23 games played
- 2 goals, 5 assists, 7 points
- 4 year contract extension at $3.2M per season

Think it is safe to say he's kind of return to his normal self after a heater to end 2019.

He'll bring it again eventually. Just gotta wait until his next contract year.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #764911 is a reply to message #764887 ]
Fri, 07 August 2020 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

I'm counting on a tide turning hit tonight. good night Toews.

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767769 is a reply to message #752614 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

I just want to beat a dead horse here for a minute: Is Kassian the luckiest player in the league? How many other players signed/will sign a deal in 2020 that is in such excess of market value for price and term? I'm thinking he has to be the only one. Why? Because for some dumb reason we feel the need to do contract extensions on mediocre players way before the season is over. Better lock this guy up, he'll be a hot commodity July 1!

Obviously hindsight is 2020 (lol) on the flat cap situation, but I hope the Oilers learned their lesson on these stupid early extensions. A lot else could have changed from Jan-June, such as injuries, stark decline in productivity, market changes etc.

I was predicting we'd regret the deal in 1.5 years, but I was way off.

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767770 is a reply to message #767769 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 08:35

I just want to beat a dead horse here for a minute: Is Kassian the luckiest player in the league? How many other players signed/will sign a deal in 2020 that is in such excess of market value for price and term? I'm thinking he has to be the only one. Why? Because for some dumb reason we feel the need to do contract extensions on mediocre players way before the season is over. Better lock this guy up, he'll be a hot commodity July 1!

Obviously hindsight is 2020 (lol) on the flat cap situation, but I hope the Oilers learned their lesson on these stupid early extensions. A lot else could have changed from Jan-June, such as injuries, stark decline in productivity, market changes etc.

We'll feel better about it again the next time he jumps Tkachuk.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767771 is a reply to message #767769 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrudeRemarks  is currently offline CrudeRemarks

1 Cup

We haven’t bought anybody out in over a calendar year. Might be time to hop back in that saddle

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you just might find, you can get a lottery pick.

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767773 is a reply to message #767771 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

CrudeRemarks wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 08:44

We haven’t bought anybody out in over a calendar year. Might be time to hop back in that saddle

Garfield pretty says he's going to be traded. May as well book it.

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767776 is a reply to message #767771 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GabbyDugan  is currently offline GabbyDugan

No Cups

That would make the collar around Ken Holland's neck even tighter. With the salary cap likely to stay flat for the next few years, a Kassian buyout would put a serious dent in Holland's budget flexibility. and wouldn't give the Oilers all that much more wriggle room.

https://puckpedia.com/player/zack-kassian/buyout?s=2020-2021

Katz must be thrilled with the way his GM's burn money. Or maybe he is making so much money from his movie company that he isn't worried about that.

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767777 is a reply to message #767776 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 08:58

That would make the collar around Ken Holland's neck even tighter. With the salary cap likely to stay flat for the next few years, a Kassian buyout would put a serious dent in Holland's budget flexibility. and wouldn't give the Oilers all that much more wriggle room.

Katz must be thrilled with the way his GM's burn money. Or maybe he is making so much money from his movie company that he isn't worried about that.

What a strange buyout. 1.6M, 1.6M, 0.6M, 1.8M, 0.9M, 0.9M, 0.9M, 0.9M

Definitely not worth it. You only get 1.6M to replace him. Then you get to enjoy his buyout cap hit bouncing back up 1.2M in year 4.

You really should be able to move Kassian with something retained that ends up better than that.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767795 is a reply to message #767776 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 08:58

I dunno - losing your face probably hurts your ability to convince starlets to be your piece on the side...

Someone on twitter was pointing out the trades by Holland and what we have left from them:

Out
Milan Lucic
John Marino
Kyle Brodziak
Sam Gagner
2020 2nd rd pick
2021 2nd rd pick
2021 3rd rd pick
2020 4th rd pick
2021 5th rd pick

In
James Neal
Angus Redmond - likely won't be qualified
Tyler Ennis - UFA
Mike Green - UFA/retired
Andreas Athanasiou - won't be qualified
Ryan Kuffner - likely won't be qualified
2021 6th rd pick
2022 conditional 7th rd pick (Persson needs to play 25 NHL games in 2020-21 season to get the pick)

Some of that is because we rolled the dice on this year's playoffs, and it takes some investment to get rentals, but man...that's not looking great on Ken Holland so far - and the Athanasiou one is the biggest problem. They paid extra to get a guy who was still under control, in part because Holland had a lot of comfort with him having had him in Detroit. It's crazy that we've given all that up after such a short stint with the team.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 October 2020 10:42]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767800 is a reply to message #767776 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Goose  is currently offline Goose

1 Cup

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 07:58

The Oilers were always a real estate play for Katz. That, and hanging out with The Boys on the Bus. He clearly doesn't care too much about his GMs being totally useless

Oilers Goal Differential
17/18: 234 GF / 263 GA (-29)
18/19: 232 GF / 274 GA (-42)
19/20 (82 game pace): 257 GF / 254 GA (+3) in 64 games
2021 (82 game pace):269 GF / 235 GA (+34) after 38 games

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767806 is a reply to message #767800 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

Goose wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 10:50

GabbyDugan wrote on Wed, 07 October 2020 07:58

The Oilers were always a real estate play for Katz. That, and hanging out with The Boys on the Bus. He clearly doesn't care too much about his GMs being totally useless

And they always have the Edmonton media boys to protect the GM. They're all out jumping on grenades for Holland this morning. None of them willing to actually criticize him on anything really.

I wonder if Katz isn't like one of those fans (we all have that friend) who just parrots what Matheson and Jones writes and says "hey, it's tougher than you think to be a GM!" That could be Daryl...

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Kassian, Oilers reach 4 year extension [message #767834 is a reply to message #767769 ]
Wed, 07 October 2020 13:32 Go to previous message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Obviously hindsight is 2020 (lol).

Post of the day. Everyone else can stop trying and go home.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Oilers select 1st rd (#14) - Dylan Holloway
Next Topic:Oilers sign forward Adam Cracknell
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca