This day on May 5
Acquired: John Blum (1981)

Happy Birthday To: BitterEnd, limecorrado, Bluefire, oilstained, Oilstained4Life, 35 for HOF

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832501 is a reply to message #832499 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Never ceases to amaze me with Oilers fans. One game where Skinner wasn't terrible, it just wasn't his best game and now question marks about if he's good enough.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832502 is a reply to message #832501 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 18:43

Never ceases to amaze me with Oilers fans. One game where Skinner wasn't terrible, it just wasn't his best game and now question marks about if he's good enough.

He definitely isn’t the reason the series is tied 1-1. But he hasn’t helped in my opinion. I agree fans way overreact though, it’s insane. Skinner is our goalie and will continue to get better

With that said letting up 8 goals in 2 games isn’t great. Again not all on him, but damn would be nice if he could have bailed us out on a couple of those goals

Oh well. Oil in 5

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832503 is a reply to message #832501 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 14:43

Oh simmer down there, sport.

Just saying Pickard (who is also part of the team) played as well or better than Skinner this year, and Skinner does not have a history of being a stud playoff performer. Still a small sample size, but he was .883% and 3.68GAA last year, and .857 and 4.42 this year. He got pulled 4 times in 12 games last year (that has to be close to some sort of record).

Anyway - I am 100% certain that Skinner starts game 3. But I believe they need to give him a short leash. Obviously I'm hoping he stands on his head and doesn't let in another goal this year. But if he gets pulled or looks ugly in a loss, they need to try their backup.

Seems someone from the CP is wondering the same things...

https://www.timescolonist.com/indigenous-news/skinner-has-co nfidence-of-his-coach-but-playoff-goaltending-a-concern-for- oilers-8652592#google_vignette

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832504 is a reply to message #832503 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

Went to check for fun - Skinner is statistically the worst playoff goalie ever in the cap era.

Of the 69 goalies that have played as much or more than him (14GP) since 2006, he ranks dead last in save % and GAA.

Skinner: .879, 3.81
Lehtonen: .887, 3.30

Let's hope he moves up that list quickly.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832507 is a reply to message #832504 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 12:45

Went to check for fun - Skinner is statistically the worst playoff goalie ever in the cap era.

Of the 69 goalies that have played as much or more than him (14GP) since 2006, he ranks dead last in save % and GAA.

You really don't like Skinner do you?

He's got 14 career starts. That's an extremely small sample size and that include a bunch of goals going off guys skates and in which I am guessing you blame him for too?

By the way, Hellebuyck who might win the vezina this year is .870 and 5.04 after 2 games.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2024 13:52]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832508 is a reply to message #832507 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 16:50

He's got 14 career starts. That's an extremely small sample size and that include a bunch of goals going off guys skates and in which I am guessing you blame him for too?

By the way, Hellebuyck who might win the vezina this year is .870 and 5.04 after 2 games.

And Helleybuyck is .914 and 2.70 for his career in the playoffs. If you don’t see the difference you’re being disingenuous at best.

Don’t like Skinner? I was pumping his tires 2 years ago before anyone else when we were still trotting out Koskinen and Grandpa Smith. I liked him well enough, but I have concerns about his playoff play. Being worst ever in the cap era I think is cause for concern.

I hope he finds the level he had during those winning streaks - THAT guy I think can win us a Cup.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2024 14:21]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832524 is a reply to message #832508 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 14:20

And Helleybuyck is .914 and 2.70 for his career in the playoffs. If you don’t see the difference you’re being disingenuous at best.

Don’t like Skinner? I was pumping his tires 2 years ago before anyone else when we were still trotting out Koskinen and Grandpa Smith. I liked him well enough, but I have concerns about his playoff play. Being worst ever in the cap era I think is cause for concern.

I hope he finds the level he had during those winning streaks - THAT guy I think can win us a Cup.

I don't know how I am being disingenuous. You listed off his stats since 2006 stating Skinner is one of the worst playoff goalies in 18 years. Listing off Hellebuyck isn't me comparing the 2 goalie for goalie, it's stating the fact that really good goalies in short spurts, sometimes their stats don't look great for a variety of reasons. Doesn't mean they are bad goalies or incapable of performing.

The Kings got 3 fluke goals in game 1. If those don't happen, Skinners stats look a lot better. So in my opinion, jumping the gun and questioning the goalie after 2 games I think is an overreaction.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832535 is a reply to message #832524 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 26 April 2024 10:31

I don't know how I am being disingenuous. You listed off his stats since 2006 stating Skinner is one of the worst playoff goalies in 18 years. Listing off Hellebuyck isn't me comparing the 2 goalie for goalie, it's stating the fact that really good goalies in short spurts, sometimes their stats don't look great for a variety of reasons. Doesn't mean they are bad goalies or incapable of performing.

The Kings got 3 fluke goals in game 1. If those don't happen, Skinners stats look a lot better. So in my opinion, jumping the gun and questioning the goalie after 2 games I think is an overreaction.

The difference between Hellebuyck and Skinner to this point is that Hellebuyck's got a history of playing well in the post-season, and Skinner has not. If you look at his entire sample size there's more bad games than even average games right now, and that's not good enough.

Yes, he's had some bad bounces in the first couple of games, but good goalies come up with hard saves a lot of the time. At BARE MINIMUM, to be successful we need Skinner to be above .900 and right now he's not even close. On Wednesday, the Kings had three goals on their first 7 shots. While there were some high skill plays there and a little bit of puck luck, ideally, you'd like your goalie to have one or two of those. And if he does, that's the game - we win and we're up 2-0.

It's early. We shouldn't panic. But we also shouldn't put our head in the sand either and pretend that we didn't take a massive stupid risk by not bolstering the goaltending position this year.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832536 is a reply to message #832535 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 26 April 2024 13:03

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 26 April 2024 10:31

The difference between Hellebuyck and Skinner to this point is that Hellebuyck's got a history of playing well in the post-season, and Skinner has not. If you look at his entire sample size there's more bad games than even average games right now, and that's not good enough.

Yes, he's had some bad bounces in the first couple of games, but good goalies come up with hard saves a lot of the time. At BARE MINIMUM, to be successful we need Skinner to be above .900 and right now he's not even close. On Wednesday, the Kings had three goals on their first 7 shots. While there were some high skill plays there and a little bit of puck luck, ideally, you'd like your goalie to have one or two of those. And if he does, that's the game - we win and we're up 2-0.

It's early. We shouldn't panic. But we also shouldn't put our head in the sand either and pretend that we didn't take a massive stupid risk by not bolstering the goaltending position this year.

I'm not going to respond after this because I see it as a waste of my time. Probably at least half the league has question marks in goal. So anytime anyone complains about the Oilers "not bolstering their goaltending" I start to question them if they are saying anything logical or just complaining to complain because I believe there are certain fans in this market that prefer just to complain about something. Probably PTSD from the past. There wasn't a ton of goalies available. Some of the pending UFA's got resigned by their teams. Others weren't even upgrades on what the Oilers had. Did I want Allen who in my opinion is not an upgrade on Skinner, debatable if he is better than Pickard and has another year on his contract. Hell freaking no!! I think spending assets on a goalie who isn't any better just swap out name bars to make some fans feel better would have been stupid.

Plus most of the evidence people use about Skinner are based on the 12 games he played last year as a rookie goalie. Was he great? No, was he awful? No. Generally, rookies in their first playoffs don't play their best hockey, it's even way more likely that a rookie goalie in his first playoff does well. I would think fans should probably give Skinner more than 2 games this year to decide if he can do it or not.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 April 2024 13:18]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832539 is a reply to message #832536 ]
Fri, 26 April 2024 13:48 Go to previous message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Fri, 26 April 2024 13:14

I'm not going to respond after this because I see it as a waste of my time. Probably at least half the league has question marks in goal. So anytime anyone complains about the Oilers "not bolstering their goaltending" I start to question them if they are saying anything logical or just complaining to complain because I believe there are certain fans in this market that prefer just to complain about something. Probably PTSD from the past. There wasn't a ton of goalies available. Some of the pending UFA's got resigned by their teams. Others weren't even upgrades on what the Oilers had. Did I want Allen who in my opinion is not an upgrade on Skinner, debatable if he is better than Pickard and has another year on his contract. Hell freaking no!! I think spending assets on a goalie who isn't any better just swap out name bars to make some fans feel better would have been stupid.

Plus most of the evidence people use about Skinner are based on the 12 games he played last year as a rookie goalie. Was he great? No, was he awful? No. Generally, rookies in their first playoffs don't play their best hockey, it's even way more likely that a rookie goalie in his first playoff does well. I would think fans should probably give Skinner more than 2 games this year to decide if he can do it or not.

I don't think it's fair to say that generally goalies don't do well in their first playoffs. Ken Dryden won a Cup as a rookie goalie. So did Patrick Roy. Hextall was a rookie when he took the Conn Smythe in 1987. Cam Ward was a rookie in 2006 when he took the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup. Andy Moog had just 7 NHL regular season games to his name when he swept the best-in-the-league Canadiens in 1981. More recently Matt Murray was a rookie when he won the Cup. Binnington had just 32 NHL appearances and never played a NHL playoff game before his Cup-winning season.

While there is definitely high pressure on a rookie goalie to backstop a contender through the playoffs, there's a lot of cases where players did just fine in rising to the occasion.

As for whether Skinner was awful last year, he got pulled in HALF the games in the second round, plus another game in the first round. He's been above .900 in only 5 of his 14 playoff appearances and there is literally not a single goalie in the entire salary cap era to play 14 or more playoff games and have as bad numbers on both GAA and Sv%. That's not just "not playing his best hockey". The absolute worst we've seen from Skinner has come in the post-season.

That's not to say he's a lost cause. He better not be, because the Oilers have firmly hitched their wagon to him. But we need him to be much, MUCH better to have a chance. And if he isn't able to rise to the occasion? Well, remember last summer when I said now would be a great chance to trade the Calder nominee and get someone better? You're not going to be able to get anything for him if he flames out a second time, and the team will have a major issue for the next GM, with two goalies who can't get the job done tying up over $6MM in cap space for the next couple of years.

The problem is that our margin of error here is pretty small. If we lose two years because we gambled twice on the same bad goalies, then we've potentially cost us Draisaitl and McDavid. If they were to leave? Then we're basically back to being the Buffalo Sabres again and we may as well promote the waterboy to general manager and bring back the ghost of Pat Quinn to coach.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 April 2024 14:40]

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832505 is a reply to message #832503 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Mike wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 12:24

RDOilerfan wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 14:43

Oh simmer down there, sport.

Just saying Pickard (who is also part of the team) played as well or better than Skinner this year, and Skinner does not have a history of being a stud playoff performer. Still a small sample size, but he was .883% and 3.68GAA last year, and .857 and 4.42 this year. He got pulled 4 times in 12 games last year (that has to be close to some sort of record).

Anyway - I am 100% certain that Skinner starts game 3. But I believe they need to give him a short leash. Obviously I'm hoping he stands on his head and doesn't let in another goal this year. But if he gets pulled or looks ugly in a loss, they need to try their backup.

Seems someone from the CP is wondering the same things...

https://www.timescolonist.com/indigenous-news/skinner-has-co nfidence-of-his-coach-but-playoff-goaltending-a-concern-for- oilers-8652592#google_vignette

I am super hesitant to go to 32-year old career back-up who had career high numbers this year way out of step with his normal results. That looks like an outlier that could regress to the mean at any time.

That said, Skinner HAS to be better. The team completely hitched their wagon to him last summer when they didn't do anything else with the goaltending, and while I think that's a complete management fail, I don't know that I see a real option because if you put in Picard and he fails, well, you may have just broken the confidence of the only one who has a hope in hell of putting together a long enough hot streak to win a Cup.

Somehow, the Oilers need Skinner to play like he did in our winning streak in December and January. We've seen more of 2023-Playoff-Skinner so far, and that just can't continue. I believe we need to give him more rope, but if he were to continue to flounder, I guess at some point we WOULD have to toss the ball to that 32-year old back-up and pray for a playoff miracle the league hasn't seen since the likes of Michael Leighton and Antii Niemi.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832506 is a reply to message #832505 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

One additional point. While the Oilers chance-suppression has been relatively good in the first couple of games, it would be nice if the ones they did allow weren't all ten-bell chances. With a goalie who's trying to pick up his confidence, I'd love if we didn't give them a lot of deep slot one-timers and breakaways in the few shots they get.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832512 is a reply to message #832506 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 13:34

One additional point. While the Oilers chance-suppression has been relatively good in the first couple of games, it would be nice if the ones they did allow weren't all ten-bell chances. With a goalie who's trying to pick up his confidence, I'd love if we didn't give them a lot of deep slot one-timers and breakaways in the few shots they get.

Pretty much how it goes with this team. We love the huge errors to cancel out 99% of the game being solid.

First goal, no idea why all the forwards are skating full speed to the neutral zone when LA's top line is all attacking our blue line. The forward Bouch tries to pass up to, Foegele, doesn't even look back and just skates off past the LA first line players. The pass banked off the boards and Foegele doesn't even put his stick out for it, he just keeps skating instead of turning to the boards for the puck, and leaves our zone. All our forwards totally out of the picture as LA creates their chance and scores. That's the kind of brain dead gambling that sank us a lot early this season.

Doughty breakaway? Come on, how do you allow that? Skinner's save attempt by just tipping over backwards and lifting his stick off the ice, just as bad of course, on a puck that wasn't shot.

What is this technique called where you have the leg in front of the puck held off the ice, and you angle your stick so the blade is off the ice to perfectly allow the direction the puck is going to go through you as you tip over backwards? His attempt to save that puck slowly going under him appears to be to kick his left leg straight, but still off the ice. Just such an odd play, I suppose he had an guess of what Doughty would do in his head and stuck with it, while he looks directly at the puck going under his stick blade and leg.

https://i.ibb.co/SwK28mz/Skinner.jpg

I think Bouch could try getting his stick onto that throw at the net 100 more times without managing to perfectly make it hover in the air for Kempe to pick his spot with a baseball swing. Brutal luck, same with the miracle Byfield puck deflection directly to Kopitar that is just in the right place at the right time. People complain about Nurse on that one, but Kopitar still had a huge advantage of momentum skating forward. Just 2 miracle bounces on both those goals.

Fiala's goal was one of those backbreakers. Byfield was off to his right. Possible that Ekholm did a perfect screen, but I think Skinner made no effort to follow that play before the shot was taken. I think it went through his left armpit. Just one of those goals where the goalie looks clueless, while also turning into swiss cheese.

Skinner had to be better, as ppl said here many different ways, he is the guy. There is no way we would switch to and stick with Pickard. It's Skinner or bust, even more than last year.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2024 15:35]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832514 is a reply to message #832512 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 14:25

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 13:34

Pretty much how it goes with this team. We love the huge errors to cancel out 99% of the game being solid.

First goal, no idea why all the forwards are skating full speed to the neutral zone when LA's top line is all attacking our blue line. The forward Bouch tries to pass up to, Foegele, doesn't even look back and just skates off past the LA first line players. The pass banked off the boards and Foegele doesn't even put his stick out for it, he just keeps skating instead of turning to the boards for the puck, and leaves our zone. All our forwards totally out of the picture as LA creates their chance and scores. That's the kind of brain dead gambling that sank us a lot early this season.

Doughty breakaway? Come on, how do you allow that? Skinner's save attempt by just tipping over backwards and lifting his stick off the ice, just as bad of course, on a puck that wasn't shot.

What is this technique called where you have the leg in front of the puck held off the ice, and you angle your stick so the blade is off the ice to perfectly allow the direction the puck is going to go through you as you tip over backwards? His attempt to save that puck slowly going under him appears to be to kick his left leg straight, but still off the ice. Just such an odd play, I suppose he had an guess of what Doughty would do in his head and stuck with it, while he looks directly at the puck going under his stick blade and leg.

https://i.ibb.co/SwK28mz/Skinner.jpg

I think Bouch could try getting his stick onto that throw at the net 100 more times without managing to perfectly make it hover in the air for Kempe to pick his spot with a baseball swing. Brutal luck, same with the miracle Byfield puck deflection directly to Kopitar that is just in the right place at the right time. People complain about Nurse on that one, but Kopitar still had a huge advantage of momentum skating forward. Just 2 miracle bounces on both those goals.

Fiala's goal was one of those backbreakers. Byfield was off to his right. Possible that Ekholm did a perfect screen, but I think Skinner made no effort to follow that play before the shot was taken. I think it went through his left armpit. Just one of those goals where the goalie looks clueless, while also turning into swiss cheese.

Skinner had to be better, as ppl said here many different ways, he is the guy. There is no way we would switch to and stick with Pickard. It's Skinner or bust, even more than last year.

Totally agree on the 1st goal .. as soon as I saw Foegle skate right by the puck without even looking back I knew it was trouble.. Kempe.. goal. Weak, lazy play by Foegle.. why do you keep skating out of the zone when you know you left the puck behind you?

The Doughty goal had two levels of failure.. RNH is slow to recognize obvious danger.. hesitates.. stops skating on the back check.. loses two steps.. and like you said.. Skinner doing some kind of odd interpretive dance routine on the save.. IMO he has a tendency to make his 6'-4" frame smaller when he tries to close off the holes between his arms and body.. lowers his head.. also drops his glove.

The 4th goal Skinner is just way too slow to set up for the shot in his net.. screened or not..

Without the odd man/breakaway chances the Oil gave the Kings due to lack of effort/dopey-ness .. this would've been a win.

[Updated on: Thu, 25 April 2024 15:57]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832509 is a reply to message #832505 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 13:32

That said, Skinner HAS to be better. The team completely hitched their wagon to him last summer when they didn't do anything else with the goaltending, and while I think that's a complete management fail, I don't know that I see a real option because if you put in Picard and he fails, well, you may have just broken the confidence of the only one who has a hope in hell of putting together a long enough hot streak to win a Cup.

This is why they have to go with Skinner (probably) in all circumstances. Management made him the started, sent Campbell down, didn't really test out Pickard, didn't try out Rodrigues, and didn't add anyone at the deadline just in case. Skinner is the guy come hell or high water.

I don't totally buy into the worst numbers in the cap era argument. The Oilers play a high risk / high reward game because of the offensive weapons and have... some questions on D. It's gong to have an impact on the goalie. He's got to be better, but this team simply isn't going to win a series while giving up 6 goals.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832511 is a reply to message #832509 ]
Thu, 25 April 2024 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1 Cup

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 25 April 2024 17:33

I don't totally buy into the worst numbers in the cap era argument.

I mean I’m not spinning anything. He has the worst save % and GAA in the cap era. I agree there are factors that contribute to that, but any way you look at it, he has not been a great playoff goalie.

This year 2 mediocre at best games. Last year in 12 games, from memory I think he had like 2 really good games, a couple decent, and a bunch of terrible ones - he got pulled 4 times plus another 1 or 2 he wasn’t great.

At any rate, here we are. All we can hope for is that he finds the game he had during those win streaks. Or close to it anyway. If he gives us more of what he has so far, we might be able to outscore the problems this round, but no chance we’re hoisting the Cup unless we get more from him (and our D)

Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]  
Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Los Angeles (Game #3)
Next Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca