This day on May 4
None

Happy Birthday To: Devan Dubnyk, Copperhead, hornblower, evaoilplc

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832360]
Wed, 24 April 2024 02:00 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)
Score Prediction
Login To Make Your Prediction

Edmonton to win:   87%
Los Angeles to win:   13%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

2023-24P Regular Season
Monday, April 22, 2024Los Angeles 4 @ Edmonton 7Win
Wednesday, April 24, 2024Los Angeles 5 @ Edmonton 4 (OT)Loss
Friday, April 26, 2024Edmonton 6 @ Los Angeles 1Win
Sunday, April 28, 2024Edmonton 1 @ Los Angeles 0Win
Wednesday, May 1, 2024Los Angeles 3 @ Edmonton 4Win
Home Record: 2-0-1       Road Record: 2-0-0       Overall Record: 4-0-1
Home / Road Goals For: 15/7 Total: 22
Home / Road Goals Against: 12/1 Total: 13

2022-23 Regular Season
Wednesday, November 16, 2022Los Angeles 3 @ Edmonton 1Loss
Monday, January 9, 2023Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 6Loss
Thursday, March 30, 2023Los Angeles 0 @ Edmonton 2Win
Tuesday, April 4, 2023Edmonton 3 @ Los Angeles 1Win
Home Record: 1-1-0       Road Record: 1-1-0       Overall Record: 2-2-0
Home / Road Goals For: 3/6 Total: 9
Home / Road Goals Against: 3/7 Total: 10

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832361 is a reply to message #832360 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Do you smell that? *sniff* *sniff* I can smell it... can you? *sniff* *sniff*

MUST

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832362 is a reply to message #832361 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Win tonight and ease a ton of pressure !

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832363 is a reply to message #832362 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

In game 1, I thought the Oilers played very well but I don't think they played over their heads. On paper from top to bottom, I think the Oilers are the better team.

They have better goaltending. I don't see Talbot as a starter anymore, I think they have 3 back ups. Skinner is a legit starter and at only 25, he's just barely scratching the surface of how good he could be.
Defense. I think the Oilers have a decent edge. The Oilers 3 best dmen - Bouchard, Nurse, Ekholm are flat out better than the Kings best 3. Oilers 3rd pairing is better than the Kings and more experienced. Even Ceci. Is Matt Roy better than him? Maybe, I don't watch him enough to know for sure but if he is, he's not by much.

Forwards. The Oilers have way more skill and are better than the Kings. Their top centers are McD and Leon. Kings top centers are almost 27 Kopitar and Danault. That's a massive advantage. Is Kempe better than Hyman? I don't think so. Go down the list. Maybe the Kings can fill out slightly better 3rd and 4th lines, it's debatable but they can't match the Oilers top 6.

Special teams, the Oilers have the edge.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if the Kings can play much better. Maybe they can but in my opinion, game 1 was a 7-1 game. 2 goals off skates and 1 goal thanks to Ceci's stick blowing up. The likelihood they get that many breaks again is pretty low. As long as the Oilers don't get too cocky and go show time because they pumped in 7 and didn't give the Kings many legit goals, they should win. THis is a series in my opinion where as long as the Oilers play patient, dump it in to get past the 1-3-1, don't force things and limit their dumb mistakes, they should win this series pretty easily.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832364 is a reply to message #832363 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Scoring first against these guys is absolutely key. LA scoring first and settling into their 1-3-1 defensive pattern for the rest of the game is their only hope of beating us.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832365 is a reply to message #832364 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 09:16

Scoring first against these guys is absolutely key. LA scoring first and settling into their 1-3-1 defensive pattern for the rest of the game is their only hope of beating us.

I came here to post this. ☝

That first goal, and especially early is so important. It opens up the game and puts the advantage squarely with the Oilers. That being said, they cannot be passive after that and need to expand the lead. This is the time of year where goals off of your chin happen way more frequently.

Get dirty, get Musty and let's take a 2-0 lead into LA.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832366 is a reply to message #832364 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

I agree. However, this is the 3rd time they have played the Kings in the playoffs. Plus all the times they have played them in the last few seasons and all of the success. I think the Oilers know and have finally accepted, even as much as they hate doing it, if the dump the puck in behind the Kings dmen, they can get past the 1-3-1, they are the better team and can still generate offense.

In my opinion, FINALLY, the key players have figured out that if the goal is truly to win, you have to adapt your game at times. I don't think that was the case a few years ago. SO even if the Kings get the first goal, I don't see it as much of an issue as it was a few years ago.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832369 is a reply to message #832366 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 10:35

I agree. However, this is the 3rd time they have played the Kings in the playoffs. Plus all the times they have played them in the last few seasons and all of the success. I think the Oilers know and have finally accepted, even as much as they hate doing it, if the dump the puck in behind the Kings dmen, they can get past the 1-3-1, they are the better team and can still generate offense.

In my opinion, FINALLY, the key players have figured out that if the goal is truly to win, you have to adapt your game at times. I don't think that was the case a few years ago. SO even if the Kings get the first goal, I don't see it as much of an issue as it was a few years ago.

I was listening to some Podcast (So many fill my time I cannot recall), but they said the Oilers skipped the pre-anthem skate around around and went right to the blueline in anticipation, helmets off and ready for business, while the Kings floated around which is customary in my experience.

This team is doing it's best to get into work mode from the first puck drop. I love it. Now if only we can find a routine after each shift a goal is scored for, or against.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832372 is a reply to message #832369 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 11:17

I was listening to some Podcast (So many fill my time I cannot recall), but they said the Oilers skipped the pre-anthem skate around around and went right to the blueline in anticipation, helmets off and ready for business, while the Kings floated around which is customary in my experience.

This team is doing it's best to get into work mode from the first puck drop. I love it. Now if only we can find a routine after each shift a goal is scored for, or against.

I agree with you.

2 years ago, the Avs were just better than the Oilers. Leon was banged up, Nurse wasn't 100%. I believe Hyman wasn't totally healthy. If they were all healthy, I think they would have gave the Avs a better series but I begrudgingly know the Avs were the better team.

Last year was different. I think the Oilers were at min as good as Vegas. The Oilers carried the play for large parts of the series, they had leads in every game I believe. They lost because they got goalied a little and when they made a mistake, it was a 5 star one at critical times. I think in that series, they probably lost parts of 4 periods total due to their own bad mistakes and that cost them the series. I know the usual suspects in here will disagree but I believe that and based on the faces of the players and what they said, especially McD and Leon who looked absolutely gutted after that series loss, I think the players thought that too.

I think coming into this year, I think the Oilers thought they would cruise. Most of the team was back, a couple additions the players like. The playoff loss to Vegas was a kick in 1 nut, I think the first 6 weeks was a reminder kick in the other nut. It focused them, it reminded them of the hurt of the loss and it reminded them that in order to win, they have to CHANGE how they played to a degree.

I think the team is more focused than ever, especially McD and Leon who are the leaders and who have to be the ones to set the tone. I think McD has changed his game some and reset his priorities. I believe this because he sat out games this year. He was legit within the scoring title and I think if he didn't miss the games he did, he would have won it. He himself said he could have played but he chose not too to get himself totally healthy. I think in years past, he wouldn't have sat out. Sitting out cost him the scoring title that I think matter to him deep down up until this past playoff loss.

Could the Kings win tonight? Sure. I think this is a do or die game for them. If they go down 2-0, I think the series is basically over. They aren't going to beat the Oilers 4 out of the next 5 games if they lose tonight. But I am not like some who are all nervous or assuming the worst.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832378 is a reply to message #832372 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 12:33

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 11:17

But I am not like some who are all nervous or assuming the worst.

I am always nervous and assuming the worst from shift to shift during the playoffs. That is just me though. If I am worried and complaining, that just means I am happy and in a good place.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832367 is a reply to message #832360 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

I got a bad feeling about tonight.

LA is better than they showed in game 1.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832368 is a reply to message #832367 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 10:47

My Dad always said to keep your feelings bottled up until the stress overwhelms you and you have a massive cardiac arrest.

Keep those feelings to yourself!

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832370 is a reply to message #832368 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 11:12

My Dad always said to keep your feelings bottled up until the stress overwhelms you and you have a massive cardiac arrest.

This does not apply to my pant launchings... pant launching is highly recommended

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832371 is a reply to message #832370 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

And anticipated!

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832373 is a reply to message #832371 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

No bad feelings folks. Just good feelings

Go get this win oilers !!!

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832379 is a reply to message #832370 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 11:27

This does not apply to my pant launchings... pant launching is highly recommended

I have multiple 'pant launchings' on two different continents. Recommended? I would say it is mandatory for every Oil fan.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832375 is a reply to message #832368 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PlusOne  is currently offline PlusOne

1 Cup

NetBOG has bad feelings about most things so this one comes as no surprise!

Your dad sounds like a wise man and I agree with him 100%. The good thing is that most of us here let our feelings out, good or bad, on a regular basis so we should all avoid the cardiac arrest.
The bad news is cheering for the Oilers leads many of us to drinking so that could cause other issues!

I saw nothing last game to give me big concerns that the Oilers can beat the Kings quite handily.
They were the better team in all phases of the game. Two Kings goals came on bad bounces and a third came on bad luck combined with a brain cramp.

I bet a Kings fan friend of mine 25 bucks on the series. It goes up 25 for every game less than 7 for the winning side. Here's hoping I can clear a hundred.

Survivor LX(I) and 67 Champ(i)on

CrusaderPi wrote on Thu, 30 January 2020 12:21

und(i)sputed O.L.F.N Heavybra(i)n Champ(i)on of the Woooooooooooooooooorld. Plus. One.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832376 is a reply to message #832368 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 18:12

Or take a page out of Frank Costanza's book and scream "serenity now."

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832377 is a reply to message #832376 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 13:27

Or take a page out of Frank Costanza's book and scream "serenity now."

Insanity later.

Preferably after the 16th win.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832385 is a reply to message #832367 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

You're not alone. Call me a chicken little, but I have a long memory on how this team can say all the right things, but repeatedly look past things that they should handle with reasonable effort and discipline.

That wasn't Kings hockey on Monday, arguably due to how the Oilers came at them, but momentum in the playoffs can vanish like a vapor when a team gets on the wrong side of the score. They need to start with Shock and Awe and KEEP their foot firmly planted on the Kings throat.

They need to be wary of the cheap shots that will be exacted upon them by these cheap losers. I worry more about who the Kings are going to injure than actually losing this series. Dispatching them early is vital.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832387 is a reply to message #832385 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 16:09

You're not alone. Call me a chicken little, but I have a long memory on how this team can say all the right things, but repeatedly look past things that they should handle with reasonable effort and discipline.

That wasn't Kings hockey on Monday, arguably due to how the Oilers came at them, but momentum in the playoffs can vanish like a vapor when a team gets on the wrong side of the score. They need to start with Shock and Awe and KEEP their foot firmly planted on the Kings throat.

They need to be wary of the cheap shots that will be exacted upon them by these cheap losers. I worry more about who the Kings are going to injure than actually losing this series. Dispatching them early is vital.

I think that was Kings hockey now. McLellan had them free wheeling a lot more. They are far more trappy with the new coach which I don't think suits their lineup, but they can go ahead and enjoy that. We've matched up well against it a few games now. The first one with their new coach, the Kings played like it was game 7 of the finals, so doesn't totally count :)

Ball remains in the oilers court IMO. If we keep up a proper effort, we should have a very good chance to win any game in this series.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832380 is a reply to message #832360 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

LFG Baby!! icon_nod

https://media1.tenor.com/m/Al0jn3KyagQAAAAd/connor-mcdavid-goal-vs-rangers-connor-mcdavid.gif

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832381 is a reply to message #832380 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

Had a covid booster jab yesterday and it's taken so much out of me. I'm tired, aching and sore, not sure I'm going to be able to watch the game live. Hopefully a few hours sleep will help, but if not I can sit and watch when I get up.... Hate missing play off games...

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832383 is a reply to message #832360 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Expect the Kings to continue the cheap garbage when they think they can get away with it. Who could fault them I suppose. 2 minutes for trying to end a guys year dropping right down into his knee with full force.

Keep attacking Dadbot. No dumb stuff in our end. Should be able to take this.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832384 is a reply to message #832360 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

Refs will be Tom Chmielewski and Dan O’Rourke in tonight's game.

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832386 is a reply to message #832384 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 14:54

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2024/04/44826/todays-nhl-referee s-and-linespersons-4-24-24/

Chmielewski from Illinois, USA, and O'Rourke from Calgary..

Last game was fairly called, narrow range, bar was kept at more or less the same level.. suspect spectrum of penalties will be much "broader" tonight

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832388 is a reply to message #832386 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 16:22

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 14:54

https://scoutingtherefs.com/2024/04/44826/todays-nhl-referee s-and-linespersons-4-24-24/

Chmielewski from Illinois, USA, and O'Rourke from Calgary..

Last game was fairly called, narrow range, bar was kept at more or less the same level.. suspect spectrum of penalties will be much "broader" tonight

Why will it be broader?

I'm not challenging you, just want to understand your logic.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2) [message #832389 is a reply to message #832388 ]
Wed, 24 April 2024 18:04 Go to previous message

3 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 24 April 2024 15:29

Why will it be broader?

I'm not challenging you, just want to understand your logic.

Just a guess.. a USA ref.. Oilers games that involve US big city teams with US refs seem to involve odd calls, rule interpretations, more often than not ..

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2024 18:09]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #2)
Next Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca