This day on May 3
None

Happy Birthday To: Teemu Hartikainen, Aspin, erixon, thamilton986

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832283]
Mon, 22 April 2024 22:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win:   90%
Los Angeles to win:   10%
10 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832312 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5f/MA_Route_15.svg/480px-MA_Route_15.svg.png

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832315 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Seriously, if we lose to the Kings, it's all our fault.

But really need to find a way to avoid all their cheap garbage.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832319 is a reply to message #832315 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Finally broke the game one curse for the first time in 30+ years!

Score made it look way closer than it was. 3 own goals then a fluke 4th off a broken stick.

Reset for game 2 in a couple of nights. Hopefully Hyman is ok.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832320 is a reply to message #832315 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
watchman  is currently offline watchman

1 Cup

Big Picture: mission accomplished. icon_neutral

...too bad Nurse/Cecci had to give them a glimmer of hope going into the next one.

(yeah Cecci's stick exploded... but he swipped the puck into the centre of the ice... on purpose.)

...this time, it's for real (isn't it?).

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832316 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Top notch performance tonight. Let's get 3 more to close out the series!

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832317 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Dominated majority of game. Kings put some pressure on in the 2nd … then the Moore penalty and subsequent pp market ended it but like… why fire the puck into the slot when your stick breaks? Ceci a donkey

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832322 is a reply to message #832317 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leia  is currently offline Leia

No Cups

That was a very solid performance, that's a play-off performance. Didn't expand to much energy, just what they wanted and apart from the crazy 2 goal give away at the end it was perfect.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832332 is a reply to message #832317 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 23:06

why fire the puck into the slot when your stick breaks? Ceci a donkey

What the hell are you talking about, did you watch the game?

Watch the goal. Face off win on his side. Puck comes back to him. All the Kings and Oilers players except for his d partner are in front of Ceci so he has no where to go. So the standard, only play you do, which is as basic of a hockey play as it gets and they teach kids to do it, is to turn and pass the puck across the ice to your D partner because your partner has open ice in front of him. That's as basic of a break out as it gets. This play happens dozens and dozens of times per game by both teams. Ceci isn't "firing the puck into the slot". He's trying to pass to his partner and his stick explodes.

I get people aren't fans of Ceci but his stick exploding is just really, really bad luck and not something he did wrong.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832335 is a reply to message #832332 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 08:21

Watch the goal. Face off win on his side. Puck comes back to him. All the Kings and Oilers players except for his d partner are in front of Ceci so he has no where to go. So the standard, only play you do, which is as basic of a hockey play as it gets and they teach kids to do it, is to turn and pass the puck across the ice to your D partner because your partner has open ice in front of him. That's as basic of a break out as it gets. This play happens dozens and dozens of times per game by both teams. Ceci isn't "firing the puck into the slot". He's trying to pass to his partner and his stick explodes.

I get people aren't fans of Ceci but his stick exploding is just really, really bad luck and not something he did wrong.

He uses his hand and throws the puck directly to a Kings stick lol. That's like if you're driving and you notice your tire goes flat and you panic and crank your steering wheel into oncoming traffic instead of hitting the brakes.

Bad luck for sure, but also a hilarious reaction to his stick breaking.

Hopefully don't see something like that for many games now. Nurse/Ceci pair went full 2023 Vegas series in that 3rd period.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2024 08:47]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832337 is a reply to message #832335 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

https://i.imgflip.com/8nqwu5.jpg

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832338 is a reply to message #832335 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 08:41

RDOilerfan wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 08:21

He uses his hand and throws the puck directly to a Kings stick lol. That's like if you're driving and you notice your tire goes flat and you panic and crank your steering wheel into oncoming traffic instead of hitting the brakes.

Bad luck for sure, but also a hilarious reaction to his stick breaking.

Hopefully don't see something like that for many games now. Nurse/Ceci pair went full 2023 Vegas series in that 3rd period.

So if you were Ceci in that situation, what would you do?

The puck comes back to you, you go to make a routine pass and your stick blows up. The puck is near you, there is a King coming at you full tilit, you have a second to make a decision so he reacts. If that was my, I'd be failing trying to move the puck as well.

I just think if someone is looking to call out Ceci on that play when in reality, it's bad luck. You are looking to find fault in a guy for no reason. If you are going to do that, then fans should be yelling at Bouchard for the second goal going off his skate. Did he do anything wrong? No it was bad luck but he was there so it's his fault isn't it?

Sometimes teams get lucky and the Kings got lucky 3 times.

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2024 09:42]

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832336 is a reply to message #832332 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perkele  is currently offline Perkele

No Cups

I don't think anyone is complaining about Ceci trying to pass the puck across the slot, as you said that is a very standard play and was the right thing to do in that situation. The complaint is about what he did once his stick broke. He dove to the ice to sweep the puck with his hand (again not a bad decision) and then swept the puck right into the slot (terrible decision). He could have pulled the puck into his body, pushed it towards the board or the corner or really anything other than what he did would have been better. I fully understand that it was a bang bang play that started with an unexpected stick break but what he did from that point on was a disaster and about the worst decision he could have made.

#teamBath(i)robe

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832321 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

OilFans wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 22:30

As bad as this sounds, I expect a better effort on Wednesday.

If this team had a killer instinct, 97 would have a Stanley Cup already.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832353 is a reply to message #832321 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 21:13 Go to previous message
Adam is currently online Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 23:09

OilFans wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 22:30

As bad as this sounds, I expect a better effort on Wednesday.

If this team had a killer instinct, 97 would have a Stanley Cup already.

Honestly I prefer 7-4 to 7-0…. Sometimes the big blowout win makes teams a little too happy with themselves and inspires a big bounce back from the other side. 7-4 with a few brain cramps is a nice reminder to keep the pedal down because the other guys have a few guys who can punish out mistakes still. Save the complete domination for the clinching game.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832326 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Ceci stick exploding sucks. When you’re a guy who’s under the defensive microscope this doesn’t help, but wow. LA had no answer to the Oil offence.

Keep it rolling!

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832334 is a reply to message #832326 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 23:21

Ceci stick exploding sucks. When you’re a guy who’s under the defensive microscope this doesn’t help, but wow. LA had no answer to the Oil offence.

Keep it rolling!

I agree with your comment about Ceci. There is a very poor comment about Ceci being a donkey because the person thinks he is firing the puck into the slot when all he is doing is trying to do a D to D pass and his stick explodes. Really bad luck.

I was at the game with my son. After it was 6-2, and under 3 mins left. My son and I decided to walk to the top of the section to get a jump on the people as we have a long drive back and it was late. As I am walking up, I could hear people blaming Nurse on the Kings 3rd goal. It was a totally fluke goal that goes off his skate. He did nothing wrong.

When players make mistakes, if fans want to beat on them, go for it if that gets you off but attacking players when they do nothing wrong and bad luck happens, I think make you look like a poor fan.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832328 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Need to dispatch these dirty a-holes in 4.

Protect our Stars. The league won’t. The league doesn’t protect its assets.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832329 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Moore get suspended BY NHL DOPS for low bridge on Desharnais?[ 22 vote(s) ]
1.LOL!!! 🤣 17 / 77%
2.Yep.. 1 game.. DOPS will follow past precedent 3 / 14%
3.$5 fine and a stern scolding by Mr. Parros 2 / 9%

Saw another view of the Moore low bridge hit on Desharnais knee .. looks pretty intentional.. should probably get a game for that..

Archibald got a game for something similar in the playoffs vs. Winnipeg .. that is a clear precedent ruling made by NHL DOPS.. oh yeah.. this was ON an Oiler.. not BY an Oiler.. predict no suspension.. what do ya think?..
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/oilers-josh-archibald-s uspended-one-game-clipping-jets-logan-stanley/

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832331 is a reply to message #832329 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

High scoring game, it wasn’t always perfect but damn doesn’t feel good to get a win. Don’t take your foot off the gas for game two and go and get another win.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832333 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Pretty nice not having to stress out for 60 minutes of game 1, and go into 2 with a lead for once.

3 lucky-ish goals by LA. 2 off Oiler skates, 1 off broken stick play. Game wasn’t that close.

Depth scoring will have to help next game. Won’t see 5 McApples and Hyman hatty.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832339 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
benv  is currently offline benv

No Cups

Great win last night.....but I was thinking about Sam Gagner this morning.

In his almost 17 years on/off relationship with this team, last night marked his first time being part of an Oiler playoff game--but of course he was a healthy scratch with two other scratched forwards (Brown and Ryan) likely ahead of him on the depth chart.

He deserves his first playoff game as an Oiler, but I have my doubts it will happen.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832341 is a reply to message #832339 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

Definitely...

Out of Carrick, Janmark, and Ryan there should be lots of room for Gagner to squeek in some games, at the very least.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832340 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K.McC#24  is currently offline K.McC#24

2 Cups

The goals for are going to come. If the Oilers continue to get help in their own zone from their forward group, AND they can make the in-game and in-series adjustments that's are going to be required, the sky is the limit.

If they get through this series, the challenge will be pressure on the D, the breakout, and how well that's supported.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832342 is a reply to message #832340 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

K.McC#24 wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 09:59

The goals for are going to come. If the Oilers continue to get help in their own zone from their forward group, AND they can make the in-game and in-series adjustments that's are going to be required, the sky is the limit.

If they get through this series, the challenge will be pressure on the D, the breakout, and how well that's supported.

Expecting that the league is calling down to make the next game a max 1-2 powerplay each one, and kings will be free to run around and do whatever they want physically. Hope the boys will be ready.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832343 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Memory lane. 5 and a 1 game suspension

https://twitter.com/Oilydoughboy/status/1782624676516143614? t=PnlqQPJEcOfUx4jnSHDY-Q&s=19

Apparently identical hit is just 2 mins now.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832345 is a reply to message #832343 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 09:18

Memory lane. 5 and a 1 game suspension

https://twitter.com/Oilydoughboy/status/1782624676516143614? t=PnlqQPJEcOfUx4jnSHDY-Q&s=19

Apparently identical hit is just 2 mins now.

Yeah Moore was only given a 2 (maybe based on score at the time.. game management).. but the league should still look at it for a suspension.. if past judgments are still considered valid.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832344 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Anyone defending what Ceci did AFTER his stick exploded is just looking for an argument. If there was any place to put the puck in (albeit) a difficult situation, Cody chose the worst.

Of all the hills to die on. Wow.

He made a mistake. I’m sure he would say the same thing.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832349 is a reply to message #832344 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 11:48

Anyone defending what Ceci did AFTER his stick exploded is just looking for an argument. If there was any place to put the puck in (albeit) a difficult situation, Cody chose the worst.

Had to watch it again. For sure the puck was right under him when his stick broke. I think a big brain would have either just fallen on it or got their arm around it to stop the LA player from getting a stick on it, or thrown it behind him towards the corner. Ceci chose the heroic maximum effort throw to the slot directly onto an LA stick.

I'm sure he's mad about the choice. And Nurse/Ceci were good for 2 periods before our zone turned into a clown show, largely due to bad luck and the team overall sagging with the big lead.

Just hope there is no more of that kinda stuff next game, cause it will probably be much closer. 1 clown show play in our end could be the game.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832350 is a reply to message #832344 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

g2k wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 14:48

Yeah - other than throwing it directly into the net, he could not have done any worse. But it didn't hurt us, so whatever.

Like you say, I'm sure he's the first to admit it was a brain fart on his part. I won't crucify him for it, but I certainly won't say he chose the best play either.

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832351 is a reply to message #832350 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Mike wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 19:40

g2k wrote on Tue, 23 April 2024 14:48

Yeah - other than throwing it directly into the net, he could not have done any worse. But it didn't hurt us, so whatever.

Like you say, I'm sure he's the first to admit it was a brain fart on his part. I won't crucify him for it, but I certainly won't say he chose the best play either.

This

Oh well

Win tomorrow and put this sucker on ropes

Re: Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1) [message #832352 is a reply to message #832283 ]
Tue, 23 April 2024 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Official .. Moore was NOT given a suspension for targeting the knees of Desharnais.. nor even a $5 fine..
https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/1782833359347150892

Everyone knew nothing was coming .. they're Team Hollywood.. we're the NHL's northern outpost..
NHL DOPS staying faithful to their historic biases

I guess you can target knees now.. just kidding.. just some teams..

[Updated on: Tue, 23 April 2024 20:54]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:GDT: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca