This day on May 1
None

Happy Birthday To: Pinny, Mike, EdinburghOiler, Dragon, tonybrar

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in PlayoffsPages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831911 is a reply to message #831910 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 15:04

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 14:39

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 14:25

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 14:09

inverno76 wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 14:00

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 13:33

Western Conf ROUND 1

Nucks and Preds
Stars and Las Vegas Golden Knights
Jets and Aves
And our guys are taking on The Queens.

I would love another shot at Doughty, Big Save Dave, "Mikey" Anderson and hopefully Dubois stays a wilting flower, making his contract one of the worst in the NHL.

Plus losing one of the Stars or the Knights in the 1st round would be glorious. Saros can win a series. Jets vs Avs is looking like a coinflip.

I think it would be the Kings getting another shot at the Oilers since they won the last two years. I'd be very nervous about that matchup.

Plays poorly into our org culture of taking everything for granted. Think Vegas is just a bad matchup for us in general though. Think I would take a team we are pretty certain we can beat, as long as the team isn't slacking, than one that has shown they can pick us apart.

The Kings could win a series against anyone, although the Oilers seemed to have have found a way around the 1-3-1 with their forecheck. Definitely not a sweep (but if their was ever a team we could sweep it would be LA) and the Oilers need to score first and early in order for the Kings to open up their game.

LA has 99 problems and stealing Gretzky from us was not one. I feel very confident in a series win against the Kings. Lack of scoring. Sketchy goaltending.

If we could hand pick a playoff matchup, who would you guys choose? For me it is LA every day. I want to say Nashville, but Saros is scary despite Draisaitl's history of dominance.

Vancouver is a no thank you based on our head to heads this season. Vegas has the horses to run deep. Dallas looks tough. Colorado or Winnipeg? Let's get past the first round and then bring on whomever.

Well, we have to beat 3 of them anyhow. There's no easy matchups.

The Kings should be one, so hopefully we take care of business.

I'm excited for a Kings series. Not because I think it'll be easy but because we haven't seen one where either coach can make in-series adjustments. I don't know if the Knob can or anything about the Kings' guy, but at least there's a chance.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Send a private message to this user  

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831912 is a reply to message #831910 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Western Conf ROUND 1

Nucks and Preds
Jets and Aves

I would love another shot at Doughty, Big Save Dave, "Mikey" Anderson and hopefully Dubois stays a wilting flower, making his contract one of the worst in the NHL.

Plus losing one of the Stars or the Knights in the 1st round would be glorious. Saros can win a series. Jets vs Avs is looking like a coinflip.

I think it would be the Kings getting another shot at the Oilers since they won the last two years. I'd be very nervous about that matchup.

Plays poorly into our org culture of taking everything for granted. Think Vegas is just a bad matchup for us in general though. Think I would take a team we are pretty certain we can beat, as long as the team isn't slacking, than one that has shown they can pick us apart.

The Kings could win a series against anyone, although the Oilers seemed to have have found a way around the 1-3-1 with their forecheck. Definitely not a sweep (but if their was ever a team we could sweep it would be LA) and the Oilers need to score first and early in order for the Kings to open up their game.

LA has 99 problems and stealing Gretzky from us was not one. I feel very confident in a series win against the Kings. Lack of scoring. Sketchy goaltending.

If we could hand pick a playoff matchup, who would you guys choose? For me it is LA every day. I want to say Nashville, but Saros is scary despite Draisaitl's history of dominance.

Vancouver is a no thank you based on our head to heads this season. Vegas has the horses to run deep. Dallas looks tough. Colorado or Winnipeg? Let's get past the first round and then bring on whomever.

We got to the finals in 2006 largely because underdogs took some top teams by surprise. No actually good team in 2006 in the West was able to get their game together before they were out. I feel like we need that kind of luck this year. Someone else please take Vegas and Colorado by surprise. Dallas too pls.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831913 is a reply to message #831912 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 15:24

Western Conf ROUND 1

Nucks and Preds
Jets and Aves

We got to the finals in 2006 largely because underdogs took some top teams by surprise. No actually good team in 2006 in the West was able to get their game together before they were out. I feel like we need that kind of luck this year. Someone else please take Vegas and Colorado by surprise. Dallas too pls.

There's no easy path.

LA then Vancouver or Vegas then whoever comes out of the Norris meatgrinder. Fun fact: Georgiev, Hellebuyck, Saros, and Oettinger are first, second, fourth, and seventh in wins this year.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831914 is a reply to message #831913 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 15:29

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 15:24

Western Conf ROUND 1

Nucks and Preds
Jets and Aves

There's no easy path.

LA then Vancouver or Vegas then whoever comes out of the Norris meatgrinder. Fun fact: Georgiev, Hellebuyck, Saros, and Oettinger are first, second, fourth, and seventh in wins this year.

Never will be easy, but it can be impossible. I don't think for a second this team could pull off something like Vegas -> Canucks -> Dallas

LA -> Canucks -> Nashville is probably the ideal path. That's a 2006 kinda path to the Finals.

I worry more about backup/underdog goalies than starting ones with our team TBH :) Saros probably worry about least of all vs Drai and friends.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 April 2024 15:37]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831915 is a reply to message #831914 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

If I am picking the opponent that I worry the least about for the Oilers, it's the Kings due to the goaltending. I think the Oilers have their number a bit. I think the Dubois trade decreased their depth a lot. Doughty is another year older and I think their goaltending is the weakest by a lot in the West.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831918 is a reply to message #831915 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 15:57

If I am picking the opponent that I worry the least about for the Oilers, it's the Kings due to the goaltending. I think the Oilers have their number a bit. I think the Dubois trade decreased their depth a lot. Doughty is another year older and I think their goaltending is the weakest by a lot in the West.

Kings and Nashville I would file under teams we have the number of. Every other team, I fear :)

Colorado, too good at transition for us.
Dallas, too much depth and opportunistic scorers
Jets, Helly one of the few elite goalies that actually can owns us
Canucks, based on regular season, but could see them struggling in playoffs
Vegas, obvious reasons, I am not that confident in Knob to adjust

[Updated on: Mon, 15 April 2024 16:18]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #831919 is a reply to message #831918 ]
Mon, 15 April 2024 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 16:15

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 15 April 2024 15:57

Kings and Nashville I would file under teams we have the number of. Every other team, I fear :)

Colorado, too good at transition for us.
Dallas, too much depth and opportunistic scorers
Jets, Helly one of the few elite goalies that actually can owns us
Canucks, based on regular season, but could see them struggling in playoffs
Vegas, obvious reasons, I am not that confident in Knob to adjust

I think Colorado's goaltending sucks. I've seen the Oilers play them twice in the last month and they went toe to toe. Plus I think Winnipeg and the Avs will beat the hell out of one another.

Helly is good but I feel like the Oilers own the Jets, ever since that one short playoff. They seem to find a way to beat them.

Canucks, I just think they aren't as good as they are. Just so many things are going right for them and I could totally see Saro's upsetting them.

I am not worried about Vegas. They have been pretty mediocre all year long after a hot, hot start. They don't look like the same team as last year.

Dallas is the one I worry about.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832090 is a reply to message #831148 ]
Thu, 18 April 2024 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Now that the season's over I want Edmonton
https://i.postimg.cc/5tP3myX4/abraxas-conan-1.gif

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832097 is a reply to message #832090 ]
Fri, 19 April 2024 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

So what are everyone's thoughts on lines vs the Kings?

Not really sure where Kane fits in now, especially with Holloway looking so good since his recall, but maybe something like this?

Henrique - McDavid - Hyman
Nuge - Drai - Foegele
Kane - McLeod - Holloway
Brown - Janmark - Perry

Ekholm - Bouchard
Nurse - Ceci
Kulak - Vinny

Skinner
Pickard

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832108 is a reply to message #832097 ]
Fri, 19 April 2024 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nullterm  is currently offline nullterm

No Cups

I like the Kings matchup. Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832110 is a reply to message #832108 ]
Fri, 19 April 2024 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

nullterm wrote on Fri, 19 April 2024 19:44

And if that isn't working, then take the fall, act hurt, draw a penalty!

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832112 is a reply to message #832110 ]
Sat, 20 April 2024 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Adam wrote on Fri, 19 April 2024 22:44

nullterm wrote on Fri, 19 April 2024 19:44

And if that isn't working, then take the fall, act hurt, draw a penalty!

No way. Keep being good boys. Been waiting since 2017 playoffs for taking it on the chin from the league and refs, while keeping a big smile, to be rewarded. I think we're finally due.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Round 1 vs LA [message #832121 is a reply to message #831148 ]
Sat, 20 April 2024 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Round 1 expectations:

There is no way we should lose this series against LA unless we play like garbage.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Round 1 vs LA [message #832126 is a reply to message #832121 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oscargasm  is currently offline Oscargasm

5 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sat, 20 April 2024 13:19

Round 1 expectations:

There is no way we should lose this series against LA unless we play like garbage.

Completely agree

Though one has to think they will be extra motivated to not get bounced for a 3rd straight time by the Oil. Also, we’ve seen these Oilers not do well when placed as the clear favourite, often (seemingly) playing down to the opponents level. I’d throw caution to the fanbase expecting a cakewalk here. It’ll be anything but.

Survivor CHAMP S52 | S66
OG's #MUSTWIN Scale
Category 1 - Lightly Musty
Category 2 - Moderately Musty
Category 3 - Considerably Musty
Category 4 - Severely Musty
Category 5 - Incredibly Musty

Re: Round 1 vs LA [message #832143 is a reply to message #832126 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 07:24

Round 1 expectations:

Completely agree

Though one has to think they will be extra motivated to not get bounced for a 3rd straight time by the Oil. Also, we’ve seen these Oilers not do well when placed as the clear favourite, often (seemingly) playing down to the opponents level. I’d throw caution to the fanbase expecting a cakewalk here. It’ll be anything but.

Can you be extra motivated? I don’t think LA has an extra gear. This is Edmonton’s series to lose. Only scared of us not showing up. LA are the Capitals West.

Re: Round 1 vs LA [message #832146 is a reply to message #832143 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 21:22

Oscargasm wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 07:24

Round 1 expectations:

Completely agree

Can you be extra motivated? I don’t think LA has an extra gear. This is Edmonton’s series to lose. Only scared of us not showing up. LA are the Capitals West.

I think the biggest annoyance last year against them was Korpse in those first 3 games. When we finally figured out to shoot high, we owned him.

36 year old Dadbot that McLellan ran into the ground already this season, and Big Sieve Dave. I would seriously be blown away at how bad we would have to be to not be able to score lots on those guys. And our players know both well and should be well motivated to beat them, especially the sieve with his acting like he won the cup stick throw a while back with the Lames. And totally agree, I don't think LA has a higher gear.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2024 22:00]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832128 is a reply to message #831148 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Is this for real that Kane had been dealing with a sports hernia all year? And we didn't LTIR him to add at the deadline? Lol. This org will never get serious about trying to win. He could probably be coming back for game 1 at 100% plus we could have another impact player.

We did the complete opposite of Vegas. Instead of having a guy out to be 100% for playoffs and making use of LTIR to improve the team, we decided to let a guy just struggle through an injury for months and let it get to a point where he could be out for game 1.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2024 14:48]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832130 is a reply to message #831148 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Always thought Kane had some kind of chronic injury that stifled his skating.. he looked slower and less agile.. Apparently he's been dealing with a sports hernia all season..
Quote:

Ryan Rishaug@TSNRyanRishaug

Kane says he’s dealing with a sports hernia and has been all season. He’s hopeful to play but has needed to take some time off the ice late in the season to let it heal. Full participant today in practice.

.. which makes you wonder why Oilers never "Mark Stoned" him and put him on LTIR so they could get $5M in cap for the trade deadline.. defraud the intent of the cap system just like Vegas does every year.. according to NHL Corp. its legal to do so..

*Sorry KR55 didn't see your prior post

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2024 15:15]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832131 is a reply to message #832130 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 15:11

Always thought Kane had some kind of chronic injury that stifled his skating.. he looked slower and less agile.. Apparently he's been dealing with a sports hernia all season..
Quote:

Kane says he’s dealing with a sports hernia and has been all season. He’s hopeful to play but has needed to take some time off the ice late in the season to let it heal. Full participant today in practice.

.. which makes you wonder why Oilers never "Mark Stoned" him and put him on LTIR so they could get $5M in cap for the trade deadline.. defraud the intent of the cap system just like Vegas does every year.. according to NHL Corp. its legal to do so..

2nd year in a row we had a layup situation with Kane that we could have 100% legitimately did with him was Tampa and Vegas did, and we just didn't bother. And now both years we go into playoffs with a busted Kane.

Sucks.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832132 is a reply to message #832131 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 14:24

Quote:

2nd year in a row we had a layup situation with Kane that we could have 100% legitimately did with him was Tampa and Vegas did, and we just didn't bother. And now both years we go into playoffs with a busted Kane.

Sucks.

Well to be fair.. if the Oilers tried it we'd have had to give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder for contravening the spirit of the cap system..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832133 is a reply to message #832132 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 16:02

Quote:

Sucks.

Well to be fair.. if the Oilers tried it we'd have had to give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder for contravening the spirit of the cap system..

True. Probably could have just made a new rule that we lose 30 standing points to, so just no playoffs at all

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832136 is a reply to message #832133 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 19:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 17:04

Quote:

Sucks.

True. Probably could have just made a new rule that we lose 30 standing points to, so just no playoffs at all

That is crazy levels of incompetence from Holland/Jackson. If the Oilers don't go deep this year it could cost them 29.

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832139 is a reply to message #832136 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Jay wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 18:05

Quote:

Sucks.

That is crazy levels of incompetence from Holland/Jackson. If the Oilers don't go deep this year it could cost them 29.

You might not be able to "per$uade" a doctor in Canada to provide a prognosis for an injury that suits a specific timeline.. like you could in the USA.. especially Vegas.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832140 is a reply to message #832139 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 19:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay  is currently offline Jay

No Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 19:12

Jay wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 18:05

Quote:

Sucks.

You might not be able to "per$uade" a doctor in Canada to provide a prognosis for an injury that suits a specific timeline.. like you could in the USA.. especially Vegas.

Yeah that's a good point..

"Initiative comes to thems that wait"

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832137 is a reply to message #832133 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 21 April 2024 16:04

Quote:

Sucks.

Although my comment was intended to be satirical.. in reality it could happen.. the NHL has made "unique" bizarre decisions in relation to the Oilers a few times.. the best example being their decision to totally ignore the actual written terms of the Neil trade, override it.. and give Calgary the draft pick because it followed the spirit and intent of the trade "agreement".. these guys just make s__t up to suit their inclinations.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832152 is a reply to message #832130 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing.

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of LTIR. But I believe you have to get a doc to sign off and the player, is that correct?

So I am wondering if his injury wasn't bad enough to put him on LTIR because he played 77 games and just about all the games he missed (3 of them) were the last week of the season. Otherwise, it makes zero sense to me.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832153 is a reply to message #832152 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 10:44

Quote:

I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of LTIR. But I believe you have to get a doc to sign off and the player, is that correct?

So I am wondering if his injury wasn't bad enough to put him on LTIR because he played 77 games and just about all the games he missed (3 of them) were the last week of the season. Otherwise, it makes zero sense to me.

He will probably go under the knife as soon as the season is done. If a player is not able to be 100% because of a very real issue, I don't see how the league can say you can't get it fixed or seek some way to rehab it. Crosby got surgery for a sports hernia in 2019 and came back on fire 2 and a half months later with a 4 point night off the hop and red hot until the COVID shutdown.

It's really weird that Kane would reveal this before playoffs are done. Is he sour about how his injury has been handled? Or just feels compelled to give an excuse for how he has played? Worse case would be a lot of the drama around him this year was that he wanted to pull a mark stone for the team but has been pushed all year to stay in the lineup and play through his injury.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832160 is a reply to message #832153 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 10:58

Quote:

He will probably go under the knife as soon as the season is done. If a player is not able to be 100% because of a very real issue, I don't see how the league can say you can't get it fixed or seek some way to rehab it. Crosby got surgery for a sports hernia in 2019 and came back on fire 2 and a half months later with a 4 point night off the hop and red hot until the COVID shutdown.

It's really weird that Kane would reveal this before playoffs are done. Is he sour about how his injury has been handled? Or just feels compelled to give an excuse for how he has played? Worse case would be a lot of the drama around him this year was that he wanted to pull a mark stone for the team but has been pushed all year to stay in the lineup and play through his injury.

Kane doesn't strike me as the type what would allow a team to tell him whether he will or won't get treatment. He strikes me as being overly confident/proud and would be the one to decide what happens. My guess is the team docs told him about the injury whenever it happened. He could get it fixed with surgery or play through it with regular treatment until the offseason when it gets fixed.

My guess is the injury isn't bad enough that he had to be out and had to get it fixed right away. While it would benefit him to some degree to get it fixed right away, he could play through with treatment if he wanted. Hence why we saw him periodically missing practices and him missing the last 3 games. For the team, it probably would have been better if he did a Stone and went on LTIR right before the deadline but I don't think a team can force a player to get surgery or sit out unless they want too. It is their bodies after all.

Does the next GM need to add in a question about LTIR to future players? "How OK are you with going on LTIR for questionable injuries if needed?" icon_lol

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832162 is a reply to message #832160 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 12:16

Quote:

Kane doesn't strike me as the type what would allow a team to tell him whether he will or won't get treatment. He strikes me as being overly confident/proud and would be the one to decide what happens. My guess is the team docs told him about the injury whenever it happened. He could get it fixed with surgery or play through it with regular treatment until the offseason when it gets fixed.

My guess is the injury isn't bad enough that he had to be out and had to get it fixed right away. While it would benefit him to some degree to get it fixed right away, he could play through with treatment if he wanted. Hence why we saw him periodically missing practices and him missing the last 3 games. For the team, it probably would have been better if he did a Stone and went on LTIR right before the deadline but I don't think a team can force a player to get surgery or sit out unless they want too. It is their bodies after all.

Does the next GM need to add in a question about LTIR to future players? "How OK are you with going on LTIR for questionable injuries if needed?" icon_lol

It is very disappointing that we have Kane injured again for playoffs. Second year in a row now.

He was being demoted to the 4th line back in Nov/Dec wasn't he? He scored maybe 3 goals since the deadline dragging himself around.

I don't get how we let it get to this point. Where he isn't even sure he can play game 1. What a disaster. Someone or many people were totally brain dead in how to handle his almost season long injury.

If this was Vegas, they would have Kane at 100% for game 1, and another $5M player. I have zero doubt. I doubt the thought of doing that even crossed Holland's mind.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2024 13:45]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832168 is a reply to message #832162 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 13:42

Quote:

It is very disappointing that we have Kane injured again for playoffs. Second year in a row now.

He was being demoted to the 4th line back in Nov/Dec wasn't he? He scored maybe 3 goals since the deadline dragging himself around.

I don't get how we let it get to this point. Where he isn't even sure he can play game 1. What a disaster. Someone or many people were totally brain dead in how to handle his almost season long injury.

If this was Vegas, they would have Kane at 100% for game 1, and another $5M player. I have zero doubt. I doubt the thought of doing that even crossed Holland's mind.

I know in here, it's always the brain dead teams fault for no matter what but correct me if I am wrong but does the player not have to agree to go on LTIR?

I haven't read the CBA but I believe in order to put a player on LTIR, a doctor has to confirm the injury and the player has to agree to be put on LTIR. I don't think a team can just walk into the dressing room and point to player X and say. "You are now on LTIR and aren't playing for 2 months, don't say anything. " I believe the player has a say in it.

I think it was after he was scratched for the March 26th game, Kane came out and said he wasn't hurt or it wasn't a "maintenance day" he was a healthy scratch. SO if that is the case and in his mind, he was good to go, it was a team decision, I don't see how he could be put on LTIR if he's not hurt enough.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832169 is a reply to message #832168 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 14:47

Quote:

I know in here, it's always the brain dead teams fault for no matter what but correct me if I am wrong but does the player not have to agree to go on LTIR?

I haven't read the CBA but I believe in order to put a player on LTIR, a doctor has to confirm the injury and the player has to agree to be put on LTIR. I don't think a team can just walk into the dressing room and point to player X and say. "You are now on LTIR and aren't playing for 2 months, don't say anything. " I believe the player has a say in it.

I think it was after he was scratched for the March 26th game, Kane came out and said he wasn't hurt or it wasn't a "maintenance day" he was a healthy scratch. SO if that is the case and in his mind, he was good to go, it was a team decision, I don't see how he could be put on LTIR if he's not hurt enough.

Yeah, player has to agree. So this is all just really confusing. Why Kane would just reveal his injury so everyone will try to get their elbows into his mid-section now, is super confusing to me. If he was the one refusing to get surgery when the injury was known near the start of the year would be very confusing too. He was complaining about his spot in the lineup, while playing badly because of a hernia? It's just all so strange.

Kane should know his spot in the lineup is secure if he's playing well. Everyone on this team should know the ONLY goal is a cup and being at 100% for a playoff run. We had lots of time still after we went on a crazy win streak to get him fixed up. Everyone and their dog, even casual fans, know how Vegas scammed the cap, and Tampa before with LTIR space. You can give Kane assurances that he's up in the lineup at 100% and how much it can boost the teams chances at a cup if he gets his hernia fixed.

I just don't get this team or Kane right now, honestly. How everyone has let it get to a point where he has just been dragging himself around for months, 3 goals since Feb 19, and now questionable for game 1 of the playoffs. It's just insane.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832170 is a reply to message #832169 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 15:00

Quote:

Yeah, player has to agree. So this is all just really confusing. Why Kane would just reveal his injury so everyone will try to get their elbows into his mid-section now, is super confusing to me. If he was the one refusing to get surgery when the injury was known near the start of the year would be very confusing too. He was complaining about his spot in the lineup, while playing badly because of a hernia? It's just all so strange.

Kane should know his spot in the lineup is secure if he's playing well. Everyone on this team should know the ONLY goal is a cup and being at 100% for a playoff run. We had lots of time still after we went on a crazy win streak to get him fixed up. Everyone and their dog, even casual fans, know how Vegas scammed the cap, and Tampa before with LTIR space. You can give Kane assurances that he's up in the lineup at 100% and how much it can boost the teams chances at a cup if he gets his hernia fixed.

I just don't get this team or Kane right now, honestly. How everyone has let it get to a point where he has just been dragging himself around for months, 3 goals since Feb 19, and now questionable for game 1 of the playoffs. It's just insane.

Like I said, less than a month ago, after he was scratched for maintenance by the team and he said he was perfectly healthy and it was for performance so I don't think he was on board with surgery so I don't think LTIR was an option for him at the time.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832174 is a reply to message #832170 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 15:10

Quote:

Like I said, less than a month ago, after he was scratched for maintenance by the team and he said he was perfectly healthy and it was for performance so I don't think he was on board with surgery so I don't think LTIR was an option for him at the time.

I'd expect him to say that again now, that he's healthy, even if he has had a hernia issue all year. If he does miss a game, bumps and bruises and just need a maintenance day.

Not sure what he has to gain by suddenly talking about his hernia and revealing his injury right before playoffs. I mean, for us, it answers a lot of questions. There is no advantage for Kane or the team, only disadvantage to put it out there at this stage of the season.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 April 2024 16:35]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832172 is a reply to message #832169 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

What's there to get? Holland is incompetent and Kane is selfish. As Oilfans alumnus Dennis King pointed out, for Kane this excuses any substandard play, masks any potential healthy scratches with the idea that he really only missed due to injury and sets himself up a hero arc if he has a great playoffs, bravely overcoming the limitations of his injury.

If in the process he throws his GM under the bus for being wildly incompetent? Oh well.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832171 is a reply to message #832168 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Well, glad we're finally on the same page about our braindead management. Kane's very helpfully laid out for everyone that Ken Holland is well, well beyond his best before date.

Do you need to get player buy-in for cap-related shenanigans? Sure. However, let's put that in context. You, as the GM, have a great deal of control. If a player isn't interested in helping the team - especially when they're legitimately injured and so unable to bring 100% each game - then you can trade that player, you can demote that player, or you can sit that player.

If you have a doctor who's said the player has an injury, which according to Kane, the Oilers do and have known all year then I don't believe you even need player consent to IR them. They're hurt, you're not playing them, so you just put them on IR.

The Oilers have held guys out when they think they're ready to come back before. How would this be different?

Also - worth noting, the better teams just find a way to make things happen. The Oilers always seem to just be helpless victims of circumstance.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832144 is a reply to message #831148 ]
Sun, 21 April 2024 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Just noticing the Canucks broadcast is their regular "home" tandem.. both heavily Canuck biased.. I had to turn on mute..

Toronto gets their home crew.. Winni gets theirs.. we get HS and Louie .. who are both national game neutral-flavored..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832163 is a reply to message #831148 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Gregor on Lowetide today yapping about Kane injury/LTIR.. holy crap that guy is an idiot.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832167 is a reply to message #832163 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 13:47

Gregor on Lowetide today yapping about Kane injury/LTIR.. holy crap that guy is an idiot.

Which one? Gregor? Kane? Holland?

We need more context.

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832175 is a reply to message #832167 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 13:39

We need more context.

The Jim Rome wannabe..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832193 is a reply to message #832175 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to previous message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 16:32

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 13:39

We need more context.

The Jim Rome wannabe..

What did he say?

Re: What Are Your Expectations For The Oil in Playoffs [message #832325 is a reply to message #832167 ]
Mon, 22 April 2024 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Mon, 22 April 2024 14:39

We need more context.

Likely Gregor. I can’t listen to him anymore. I tried today and lasted 5 minutes.

He really gets off on telling fans how dumb they are. And he just doesn’t touch on a certain topic and then move on. He goes on and on and on about it like an obsession that kept him up all night planning his rant. “I asked a doctor (or whatever) so the whole world are idiots.” As a listener I get to the point of, “he’s still ranting about this. Is it just filler now?”

He’s got this hockey snob attitude that I just can’t bear any longer.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]  
Previous Topic:Review: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #1)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Colorado (Game #82)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca