This day on May 2
None

Happy Birthday To: Oil Fan stuck in Cowtown, Filthy, Yozzy, oilymion, Blurr, mandingo, Smyty98

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831543]
Wed, 03 April 2024 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 54%
Dallas to win: 46%
13 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831557 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Blowout. Oilers played with fire for the first half of the game, giving up turnovers and odd man rushes. Dallas finally started making them pay, over and over again.

This game encapsulates the Oilers. Talented, but can be exposed badly if you play smart hockey against them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831558 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

I think Kr55’s notion a while back of purging the coach every second month to attain consistent efforts might be the only key to success for this team.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831559 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

This team subconsciously feels like 97 is their insurance plan most nights and their play reflects that most nights.

And dare I say, the leaders on this team are often a bad example of displaying discipline. Not a winning recipe.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831566 is a reply to message #831559 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oiltec  is currently offline oiltec

No Cups

g2k wrote on Thu, 04 April 2024 05:23

This team subconsciously feels like 97 is their insurance plan most nights and their play reflects that most nights.

And dare I say, the leaders on this team are often a bad example of displaying discipline. Not a winning recipe.

Accurate and vey well said.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831560 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam got me thinking.

Not that it’s the key to success, but what does Knoblauch have against Gagner? He’s provided decent offence in his limited action. Creates offence when it’s lacking elsewhere. Gives a damn. Scrappy. A great leader.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t even get a sniff. Might light a fire under Carrick. What’s to lose?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831561 is a reply to message #831560 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 03 April 2024 22:28

Adam got me thinking.

Not that it’s the key to success, but what does Knoblauch have against Gagner? He’s provided decent offence in his limited action. Creates offence when it’s lacking elsewhere. Gives a damn. Scrappy. A great leader.

I don’t understand why he doesn’t even get a sniff. Might light a fire under Carrick. What’s to lose?

It's not really Knoblauch's fault. Oilers screwed themselves repeatedly on the cap. I don't think they have any room to carry any extra players so Gagner and Holloway are stuck down there on the farm until the end of the season. They have Ryan and Stecher as the spares...I don't even think there's a third with the team, is there?

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831564 is a reply to message #831561 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2024 22:36

Adam got me thinking.

It's not really Knoblauch's fault. Oilers screwed themselves repeatedly on the cap. I don't think they have any room to carry any extra players so Gagner and Holloway are stuck down there on the farm until the end of the season. They have Ryan and Stecher as the spares...I don't even think there's a third with the team, is there?

Yeah, that’s good insight. Likely the case.

I would like him here. Carrick has been invisible. Not that a 4th liner will ever be our game breaker, Gagner was noticeable, energetic and created at least something in his small sample size.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831567 is a reply to message #831564 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Wed, 03 April 2024 22:42

Adam got me thinking.

I would like him here. Carrick has been invisible. Not that a 4th liner will ever be our game breaker, Gagner was noticeable, energetic and created at least something in his small sample size.

Yeah - and I think once again, we've filled up our fourth line with guys designated to play specific roles, rather than the best players available.

The fact is, that 4th lines do matter, and the best teams usually are playing good young players who can contribute rather than just guys who could penalty kill and fight. We're still stuck in that same old mind-set. And even if Knoblauch wanted to break the mold, he can't because the Oilers bottom four forwards still on the roster are all bubble guys on half the teams in the league.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831568 is a reply to message #831567 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

But hey - maybe that 3-goal scorer can penalty kill. Probably can't ever teach a skilled youngster that, right?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831576 is a reply to message #831567 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

Adam wrote on Wed, 03 April 2024 22:58

g2k wrote on Wed, 03 April 2024 22:42

Adam got me thinking.

Yeah - and I think once again, we've filled up our fourth line with guys designated to play specific roles, rather than the best players available.

The fact is, that 4th lines do matter, and the best teams usually are playing good young players who can contribute rather than just guys who could penalty kill and fight. We're still stuck in that same old mind-set. And even if Knoblauch wanted to break the mold, he can't because the Oilers bottom four forwards still on the roster are all bubble guys on half the teams in the league.

Stars 4th line combined for 7 points last night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831562 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Been pretty unimpressed with this team since the few weeks before the allstar break. Hope for a miracle of improved team play in the playoffs. If we keep playing like we have though, could be an easy out for a good team, and starting to look like it will be Vegas again.

Coach firing seems to be the only real tool to get this team going and looking like they could contend.

5 x $5,000,000

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2024 22:47]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831565 is a reply to message #831562 ]
Wed, 03 April 2024 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

Nurse's contract as well. So brutal.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831569 is a reply to message #831565 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Well… we had a strong first period

So there’s that

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831570 is a reply to message #831569 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

I was watching the highlights from last night over and over...

Draisaitl and Nurse. Two assistant captains... the guys that are supposed to hold the course, stick to the plan and demand accountability and responsibility from the rest of the team... those two guys that are so double-edged (either very dominant or highly suspect) completely gutted our squad last night. Baking turnovers and throwing them all over our zone and terrible situational reads and selfish errors sank the boys hard.

I think a huge part of the meltdown was that the rest of the team saw what those two had to offer and thought "if these guys don't give a damn, I'll go off script as well" and it all felt apart.

I know I've torn into Leon a bunch on here this season, but he plays this kind of game too often. He did it against Colorado recently and he did it again last night. He takes wild chances with the puck and against weak teams, those crazy passes might work. Against the best teams in the league, he gets picked off and gives up goals because of it. He'd been better, much better, recently... however he was back to his usual baker style last night. Needs to be so much better at managing the puck.

Nurse is just a boat anchor of a contract. He's usually fine, serviceable and a pretty good 3 - 4 (but not a good value at $9.5M), but against the good teams he can get exposed for not thinking the game well enough. That pinch last night was absolutely terrible and I'm not sure how it happens. He had zero chance of getting to it and he gives up the 4 on 1 as a result. He also doesn't get down far enough for blocks and ends up screening his goalie (that happens all the time with Darnell).

Both of those guys are going to play a massive role in whether the Oilers do anything of note in the playoffs. If they put forth these sorts of games, they will get crushed and be an easy out.

Shape up, lads.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831571 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260  is currently offline smyth260

No Cups

What a complete failure of a deadline to fix deficiencies in an 11/10 go for it year.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831574 is a reply to message #831571 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi is currently online CrusaderPi

6 Cups

smyth260 wrote on Thu, 04 April 2024 10:59

What a complete failure of a deadline to fix deficiencies in an 11/10 go for it year.

Yes and no. I don't think there was a deal or deals that turned the Oilers into a reliably steady hockey team. For better or worse they're a high risk / high reward team that lives on its ability to outscore its problems. We can say we saw them developing into this years ago, but we can't change that now. To make a team that doesn't blow up like they did last night Holland and Jackson would have had to swap out a third of the team on the fly. Unless a Holland turned down a Nurse & Ceci trade for 2 clones of Ekholm they weren't going to improve enough on the backend to fix what we've been watching for the last few years. Stecher isn't enough on D and Henrique isn't enough for depth. So let's hope they score enough to force the opponent into making enough mistakes to allow enough scoring.

Their hands were tied because of cap constraints and asset management. We can grouse about who tied their hands, but we can't change that fact now.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831577 is a reply to message #831574 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

https://i.postimg.cc/2yGvg7GB/IMG-9875-jpeg.webp

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831581 is a reply to message #831577 ]
Fri, 05 April 2024 00:54 Go to previous message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Rowan Oil Fielding wrote on Thu, 04 April 2024 16:25

https://i.postimg.cc/2yGvg7GB/IMG-9875-jpeg.webp

Didn't we have a legendary dman on the bench telling all our D to try to make plays like he did in the good old days? Ceci really takes it to heart, why can't Nurse?

Funny side stat. We are 4th last in the league at shot blocking. Vegas is #1. I know there are lots of ways to think about that stat, but I've really taken note lately at how awful most of our D are at getting in front of high danger chances when they had all the opportunity in the world to do it. It's damn annoying and keeping making me think about how badly this team needed a D like Tanev. There is a massive hole in our lineup of a totally reliable defender that is elite at reading and staying ahead of the play on our zone. We arguably have 1 D like that in Ekholm. Ek has his off periods too. Rest of the guys, chasers, stick wavers and elite puck dodgers (intentional or unintentional), sometimes adding elite screening of our goalie at the same time.

Oh well. Too late for this team. Pray for Miracles.

[Updated on: Fri, 05 April 2024 00:59]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831572 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

I only really was able to watch the first period (which I guess was the only period they played well in ironically), so I don't feel quite so much doom and gloom from this. We started our back up against a team that is on a role, and their goalie was outstanding. Dallas is firing on all cylinders and had some good puck luck in the 1st as well.

The stat to me that is most concerning is the Oilers win loss record since the big winning streak. If you look at losses past regulation as losses (as I feel like we all should) then the team is only 16-14. Being barely over .500, that is the reason why they haven't been able to catch Vancouver, and its almost surprising no one has been able to catch them.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831575 is a reply to message #831543 ]
Thu, 04 April 2024 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message

2 Cups

I do feel this team can knuckle down and play responsible/accountable hockey when it counts. But the fact it isn’t second nature for them is a problem for me. Every play in the post season is an important play. The style you need to deploy needs to be second nature.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74) [message #831580 is a reply to message #831575 ]
Fri, 05 April 2024 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No Cups

This is my worry as well. It takes time to develop that responsible play, and a few players on our team seem to move back and forth between committing to that style and going back to bad, old habits.

Winning teams play defensive hockey that doesn't give up much and capitalizes on mistakes. How the Oilers leadership (players and coaches) haven't figured that out yet is VERY concerning.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Colorado @ Edmonton (Game #75)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Dallas (Game #74)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca