This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831347]
Tue, 26 March 2024 20:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 69%
Winnipeg to win: 31%
16 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831353 is a reply to message #831347 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ragnarok73  is currently offline Ragnarok73

2 Cups

Good to see the team pull out the win despite the best efforts of the refs. What a goal by Zach.

"There's no greater springboard to development than failure." - Craig MacTavish, April 13/15.

5-14-6-1

"Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it."

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831356 is a reply to message #831353 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 20:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Refs didn’t make that easy. What a win

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831357 is a reply to message #831347 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

Refs are definitely throwing their water bottles around in the dressing room right now.

Hyman…just wow. Skinner pretty solid too. Both of those third period goals were some tough deflections, seemingly.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831358 is a reply to message #831347 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NCREDiBLE  is currently offline NCREDiBLE

No Cups

I did not know there couldn’t be a review on a high stick unless there was blood! Imagine if that would have cost us the game!
What a beauty by Hyman! Congratulations on your 200th!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831359 is a reply to message #831347 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

The Oilers are good, hail above average at times, team. They just have very flat periods and have spells of playing bad defensively. They're still a playoff team with the possibility of making a deep run.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831360 is a reply to message #831347 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smyth260 is currently online smyth260

No Cups

Love to see the “tap in merchant” do it all by himself.

Connor Brown…amazing what happens when one goes off your foot.

Clean house or bust

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831361 is a reply to message #831347 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrusaderPi  is currently offline CrusaderPi

6 Cups

The win is obviously a good thing, but blowing the lead is a concern. That game shouldn't have been an OT coin flip. They have to lead how to close games out.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831362 is a reply to message #831361 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Messy win again, but win is a win I suppose.

Nurse skating away from our net to allow Dillon and Monahan to do a free puck tipping drill for the 3-3 goal was very kind.

Love Hyman.

Connor Brown needs to save some of those snipes for his 14 goal playoff run.

[Updated on: Tue, 26 March 2024 22:27]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831363 is a reply to message #831362 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Was a satisfying win. Winnipeg has a good club. They’re similar to us, could beat anyone or lose to anyone in the playoffs.

Then again I guess you could say that about any team but still lol

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831364 is a reply to message #831363 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Crazy to think that McDavid is now just 4 pts back from the scoring lead, and still has two games in hand over Nate & one in hand over Kuch.

Huge game Thursday night.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831365 is a reply to message #831364 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike

1 Cup

We won, so that's awesome. But why would a ref not be able to look at that and say "oops" and reverse the call? From where the ref was, I don't blame him - looked like a high stick from Nuge. Hell, I thought it was a penalty on the first replay as well. Wasn't till they slowed it down that I saw it. But once we saw it there was no question it was a Jets stick. A 2 minute penalty with 2 to go in a tie game is a pretty big deal. But regardless of timing or score, I'm not sure why they can't just take a minute to look at that and make the right call.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831367 is a reply to message #831365 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

Mike wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 07:17

We won, so that's awesome. But why would a ref not be able to look at that and say "oops" and reverse the call? From where the ref was, I don't blame him - looked like a high stick from Nuge. Hell, I thought it was a penalty on the first replay as well. Wasn't till they slowed it down that I saw it. But once we saw it there was no question it was a Jets stick. A 2 minute penalty with 2 to go in a tie game is a pretty big deal. But regardless of timing or score, I'm not sure why they can't just take a minute to look at that and make the right call.

Exactly. NFL can do reviews like that all the time, quickly and don't take much time.. CFL even radios in confirmation of offside calls in real time to the refs so they know whether it was the D-Line or O-line that moved first, its seamless, its very quick and no noticeable stoppage in the game.. here we had the refs huddle and yap back and forth for 3 or 4 minutes before they decided they couldn't confirm it was an own team stick.. a call in from a NHL replay could have resolved it in a minute.. tech is there.. if the NHL refs make the wrong call on the ice then someone should be able to overturn it.. whether its the NHL itself, and/or a team challenge.

The first penalty was bogus as well, Nurse reached in with his stick, but the Jets player actually toe-picked and wiped himself out..

[Updated on: Wed, 27 March 2024 13:09]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831368 is a reply to message #831367 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Personally, I'd rather accept that mistakes will happen in a fast a fluid game than wait for the review process to stumble along its course. Yes, I know the Oilers could have lost last night on a late power play goal for a penalty that should never have been called.

Please do not feed the bears. Feeding the bears creates a dependent population unable to survive on their own. Bears.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831369 is a reply to message #831368 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 12:13

Personally, I'd rather accept that mistakes will happen in a fast a fluid game than wait for the review process to stumble along its course. Yes, I know the Oilers could have lost last night on a late power play goal for a penalty that should never have been called.

Mu point was the review process doesn't have to take that long, the tech is there, and done elsewhere with success.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831372 is a reply to message #831369 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dragon_Matt  is currently offline Dragon_Matt

No Cups

How about an in the building off-ice ref that can also make calls and radio the other refs in live time.
A goal goes in but play keeps going, the office ref can radio down and get a whistle, instead of resetting the clock 4 minutes.
a blatant high stick occurs behind the play, off-ice ref can rewind and make a call and radio the call to the on ice officials.
Why wouldn't this be possible?

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831373 is a reply to message #831372 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Dragon_Matt wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 14:44

How about an in the building off-ice ref that can also make calls and radio the other refs in live time.
A goal goes in but play keeps going, the office ref can radio down and get a whistle, instead of resetting the clock 4 minutes.
a blatant high stick occurs behind the play, off-ice ref can rewind and make a call and radio the call to the on ice officials.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, with the proper tech and protocols the review could be quite quick and time efficient.. and there are examples of it working well in other sports leagues.. instead of the doddling process the NHL now has. even RUGBY has a live real-time review where you can actually hear the discussion between the on-field ref and the review team up in the box looking at the replays.. they talk it over.. and then make very quick decisions.. so its obviously possible to do.. NHL has FOUR (4) on-ice officials and still blow calls.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 March 2024 15:54]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831376 is a reply to message #831373 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 15:51

Exactly the point I was trying to make, with the proper tech and protocols the review could be quite quick and time efficient.. and there are examples of it working well in other sports leagues.. instead of the doddling process the NHL now has. even RUGBY has a live real-time review where you can actually hear the discussion between the on-field ref and the review team up in the box looking at the replays.. they talk it over.. and then make very quick decisions.. so its obviously possible to do.. NHL has FOUR (4) on-ice officials and still blow calls.

I just think it's another layer in the futile attempt to make a perfect reffing system. I know we'd still complain when 5th official made a call against the Oilers and we'd whine when they didn't buzz down to on-ice refs. We shouldn't forget that a fifth official might have fixed that call, but they might not have. What? You think the video reviews have fixed goaltender interference? I think all of this takes away from our enjoyment of watching the game. By and large the refs do a really good job calling a ridiculously fast game in real time and we get very few Duchene-bad offside calls. I'd rather accept the mistakes and put the onus on the players to make the refs irrelevant than pretend an infallible system can be created to keep us happy.

Remember, the problem last night wasn't the refs getting a difficult call wrong it was the Oilers blowing a 2 goal third period lead.

All this being said, I can see which way the world is moving. A future 5th official seems inevitable.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831377 is a reply to message #831376 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 18:08

Skookum Jim wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 15:51

I just think it's another layer in the futile attempt to make a perfect reffing system. I know we'd still complain when 5th official made a call against the Oilers and we'd whine when they didn't buzz down to on-ice refs. We shouldn't forget that a fifth official might have fixed that call, but they might not have. What? You think the video reviews have fixed goaltender interference? I think all of this takes away from our enjoyment of watching the game. By and large the refs do a really good job calling a ridiculously fast game in real time and we get very few Duchene-bad offside calls. I'd rather accept the mistakes and put the onus on the players to make the refs irrelevant than pretend an infallible system can be created to keep us happy.

Remember, the problem last night wasn't the refs getting a difficult call wrong it was the Oilers blowing a 2 goal third period lead.

All this being said, I can see which way the world is moving. A future 5th official seems inevitable.

I’m with you. We don’t need more reviews.

And the problem is that it always starts because of ones like this that seem obvious fixes and then evolves so that some day we spend ten minutes on the referees trying to decide if a player was tripped or if the stick just hit him after he was already starting to fall.

I’m okay with a level of human error and I’m okay with people trying to use gamesmanship to get calls some times too. Sometimes that will go against our team and sometimes for us. It’s more fun than getting it perfect but doing a dozen reviews a night.

Not to mention the NHL will still never get it perfect. We’ve seen that with goalie interference and offside reviews. At some point there’s still a shade of grey.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831374 is a reply to message #831368 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JPro  is currently offline JPro

No Cups

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 13:13

I’m definitely with you here on offsides. I’m ok removing those challenges entirely. What an absolute entertainment momentum killer.

I know the Oilers have positively benefited from this a couple times recently, but like - who cares if someone was an inch over the line? I don’t think it makes a material enough difference to disallow a goal.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831378 is a reply to message #831374 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

JPro wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 15:11

CrusaderPi wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 13:13

I’m definitely with you here on offsides. I’m ok removing those challenges entirely. What an absolute entertainment momentum killer.

I know the Oilers have positively benefited from this a couple times recently, but like - who cares if someone was an inch over the line? I don’t think it makes a material enough difference to disallow a goal.

I agree on offsides.. usually doesn't impact the play on the goal unless the guy is a couple feet offside.. the nano-pixel video analysis is ridiculous.. I think they could solve the off side analysis time issue if they just limited/restricted the cameras to low pixel imaging.. zoom in and if you can't determine an off-side with the low pixel imaging then it never actually impacted the play..

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831370 is a reply to message #831364 ]
Wed, 27 March 2024 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 06:44

Crazy to think that McDavid is now just 4 pts back from the scoring lead, and still has two games in hand over Nate & one in hand over Kuch.

And regardless of how much 97 wins the scoring title this year and how much he means to the team, he will still will not have a chance at the Hart. Feels like the Great Nate already has it wrapped up and in the bag.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831381 is a reply to message #831370 ]
Thu, 28 March 2024 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oilfan94  is currently offline oilfan94

No Cups

inverno76 wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 17:08

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Wed, 27 March 2024 06:44

And regardless of how much 97 wins the scoring title this year and how much he means to the team, he will still will not have a chance at the Hart. Feels like the Great Nate already has it wrapped up and in the bag.

I realized years ago when when you see several articles talking about the same guy and how he should win an award he will probably win, since the guys writing the articles are the ones voting on it (for awards like the Hart anyway) which seems really weird to me that it is the writers that vote on that stuff.

Maybe I haven't read the articles as closely, but I don't see anyone complaining that MacKinnon shouldn't win because his ice time is too high or because he has a teammate that is also scoring a ton. If we are being honest and unbias, Kucherov probably deserves it more than MacKinnon, but the media generally loves the Avs.

[Updated on: Thu, 28 March 2024 07:42]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70) [message #831383 is a reply to message #831381 ]
Thu, 28 March 2024 09:44 Go to previous message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

I am OK with reviews because there are times in the game when you want to make sure something gets called right. It's one thing when it's a review on a call that could go either way. But for a missed call like that, take that penalty and apply it to game 7 in the finals. Tied game, 2 mins left. You don't want to lose the cup because they other team got a PP goal at the end of the game on a call that didn't happen.

If Nuge's stick was in the air with the other guys and you have to zoom in and go frame by frame to see which stick it was, that's one thing. But his stick was on the ice. That's was just an inexcusably bad call.

I know reviews can take a long time so I would like to see them speed up to be looked at in more real time. I think reviews of penalties are probably not going to happen a lot but offside reviews happen more frequently so if you do the reviews of offsides in real time or set a time limit, it would speed things up. If you can't tell in 1 min if a play is offside and in order to do it, you have to slow it to frame by frame zoomed in, then it's too close to call and had no bearing on the play.

Previous Topic:Pregame: Los Angeles @ Edmonton (Game #71)
Next Topic:Review: Edmonton @ Toronto (Game #68)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca