This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831277]
Sun, 24 March 2024 18:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
No one predicted this!

Edmonton to win: 93%
Ottawa to win: 7%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831281 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

We suck right now. Better right this ship and fast with playoffs around the corner

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831285 is a reply to message #831281 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Yep. The chaotic offence of our team (lots of chances, but lots of giveaways as well) and lack of desire to play crucial D to cover high danger areas, is their absolute Achilles heel.

This will kill them, without a doubt, in the playoffs. Either they commit to playing solid D and trying to be more controlled with their passing, or they will give up odd man rushes all over the place, and not have the commitment to get back to stop goals.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831287 is a reply to message #831285 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skookum Jim  is currently offline Skookum Jim

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Sun, 24 March 2024 17:41

Yep. The chaotic offence of our team (lots of chances, but lots of giveaways as well) and lack of desire to play crucial D to cover high danger areas, is their absolute Achilles heel.

This will kill them, without a doubt, in the playoffs. Either they commit to playing solid D and trying to be more controlled with their passing, or they will give up odd man rushes all over the place, and not have the commitment to get back to stop goals.

I think teams strategy against oilers now is play in a defensive shell and just wait for the Oilers to cough up a stream of grade A's.. that and PP's.. Oiler PK was solid.. for a while.. now its back to crap.

Have a feeling Jets will crush them on Tuesday.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2024 18:52]

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831282 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

The team is a defensive crap show..
that.. and NHL refs really like deciding games.. they must find it amusing.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!
P. Chiarelli math.. T. Hall = A. Larsson, Yak= bag o'pucks (OK he got one right...) K. Russell = $4.1 M+NMC, G. Reinhart= M. Barzal + A. Beauvillier, J. Eberle = R. Spooner,

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831286 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

at this rate forget catching Canucks.. how about making the playoffs.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831289 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rowan Oil Fielding  is currently offline Rowan Oil Fielding

No Cups

Well this loss was a fine kick in the bollocks.

https://i.postimg.cc/mZ9GD3V6/php2-CH3-Yf-AM.jpg

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831292 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

After such an awful showing against the Keafs on HNIC last night, to follow it with a loss to the lowly Senators is VERY disturbing.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831303 is a reply to message #831292 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

g2k wrote on Sun, 24 March 2024 19:14

After such an awful showing against the Keafs on HNIC last night, to follow it with a loss to the lowly Senators is VERY disturbing.

I will say, the team will win that most nights. We outshot the other team by 20+ shots. Korpisalo played really well, for the Oilers, the goalie and the PK did not.

I think coupled with the Leafs loss, that feels worse than it should. Normally, you brush that off as one of those nights and move on. I do feel a level of responsibility for pointing out that Picard's stats shouldn't be counted on as the new normal. He reverted hard in response.

All that said, I am not panicked about the weekend's results. The team has still won way more than they've lost lately, and deserved a better fate in this one. Playoffs are not in doubt, and if they keep winning at the rate they've been at the last few months, we have an outside chance of winning the division yet.

Hopefully they have a much better game in Winnipeg.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831293 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 19:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Every goal tonight was terrible D, but both Chychrun goals were just pathetic to watch.. everyone “trying” to block the pass. But really just stood there and watched them make a simple pass because they weren’t blocking anything.

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831294 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve  is currently offline Steve

No Cups

Was at the game. Very frustrating to lose to the Sens, who were horrible in their own right. A very soft team and the Oilers were having their way. But Joonas played very well, and the Sens can snipe when you give them Grade A chances.

Both Ceci and Dee played poorly to my eye. I’m not comfortable with the right side D.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

- Calvin

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831295 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Forgot there was a game today. Nice one to miss.

I see Ceci took it on himself to end up behind the offensive goal line, on another trademark Ceci zero skill zero execution play, against the Stutzle line to get Ottawa started on the comeback. Can Coffey please tell Ceci that he is the one exception for D making plays? Ceci should be 100% stay home at all times.

We also get scored on twice with the exact same play on the PK. And our 2nd attempt to defend it was worse than the first. Our PK has been a joke since Tippett left.

[Updated on: Sun, 24 March 2024 21:06]

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831297 is a reply to message #831295 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 24 March 2024 19:52

I see Ceci took it on himself to end up behind the offensive goal line.. Tippett left.

That one was all on Foegle.

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831299 is a reply to message #831297 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

Skookum Jim wrote on Mon, 25 March 2024 00:30

Kr55 wrote on Sun, 24 March 2024 19:52

I see Ceci took it on himself to end up behind the offensive goal line.. Tippett left.

That one was all on Foegle.

Every goal is only the fault of the last guy to make a mistake? Ceci chasing the puck behind the Ottawa net was stupid as it gets. With Ottawa's top line on the ice no less. He made a lame shot and should have turned his butt around. If Ceci isn't defending, he is usually doing something bad or pointless. Leaving his forwards to deal with a rush lead by Stutzle because Ceci wanted to skate and extra 80 ft in the offensive zone pointless skating around the Ottawa net is very bad.

What is our coaching staff even telling Ceci? The dude is terrible at offense. Why does he think he needs to be running around deep in the offensive zone all the time? He has completely killed Kulak's game now. Kulak can actually do stuff with the puck and Vinny let him. Now for some reason Kulak has to be constantly worried that Ceci will be out of position like Nurse has had to deal with. It's just weird. Get Stecher back in with Nurse and put kulak and Vinny back together IMO.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 March 2024 00:46]

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831300 is a reply to message #831299 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

Amazingly bad penalty calls by the refs on both the game tying and game winning goals. Neither of those were even close to being a penalty. Not the reason we lost though. Game Ottawa WAY too much time and space, same as we did against TO on Sat.

Time for Ceci or Vinny to take a seat I think. Both were awful all weekend.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831304 is a reply to message #831300 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

NZ Oiler Fan wrote on Mon, 25 March 2024 05:30

Amazingly bad penalty calls by the refs on both the game tying and game winning goals. Neither of those were even close to being a penalty. Not the reason we lost though. Game Ottawa WAY too much time and space, same as we did against TO on Sat.

Time for Ceci or Vinny to take a seat I think. Both were awful all weekend.

For what it's worth, I thought both Desharnais penalties were interference. I didn't think that the Ekholm call was legitimate.

I do find the NHL frustratingly inconsistent in their application of justice though. Some of the soft calls they make seem ridiculous when they show clip after clip of people cross-checking and tripping McDavid and Draisaitl without calls.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831296 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Sun, 24 March 2024 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rutuu  is currently offline Rutuu

No Cups

Move on from this one...we're basically playing out the string.

Kane out and rumours he's in trouble again. Sigh.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831306 is a reply to message #831296 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

The Desharnais call on Stutzle for interference, I am sorry but if that's a penalty, then the NHL needs to go to non contact.

They are both skating to get the puck. Stutzel along the boards, Vinnie skating towards him. Both make contact with the puck. The direction Vinnie is coming at to get to the puck, unless he slams on the brakes or jumps the opposite direction, his skating momentum will cause him to make contact with the player. There is no avoiding it. It's not from behind, it's not high, he didn't slash him or grab him, it's not even a hard hit, it's a rub out that happens probably 50 times a game when 2 guys are skating towards a puck and one is along the boards. It didn't even knock him down. Did it stop him from going forward, sure but again, to avoid that, Vinnie either can't go after the puck at all or slam on the brakes as soon as the puck gets hit.

If they are going to call that, then what about the slash to the back of the leg that Stutzel gave? Slashing at the back of a guys leg is not a hockey play. That's illegal according to the rules.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 March 2024 10:54]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831308 is a reply to message #831306 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 March 2024 10:51

The Desharnais call on Stutzle for interference, I am sorry but if that's a penalty, then the NHL needs to go to non contact.

They are both skating to get the puck. Stutzel along the boards, Vinnie skating towards him. Both make contact with the puck. The direction Vinnie is coming at to get to the puck, unless he slams on the brakes or jumps the opposite direction, his skating momentum will cause him to make contact with the player. There is no avoiding it. It's not from behind, it's not high, he didn't slash him or grab him, it's not even a hard hit, it's a rub out that happens probably 50 times a game when 2 guys are skating towards a puck and one is along the boards. It didn't even knock him down. Did it stop him from going forward, sure but again, to avoid that, Vinnie either can't go after the puck at all or slam on the brakes as soon as the puck gets hit.

If they are going to call that, then what about the slash to the back of the leg that Stutzel gave? Slashing at the back of a guys leg is not a hockey play. That's illegal according to the rules.

Stutzle is a generational penalty drawer, probably only rivalled by Pettersson. Some of these players just have the uncanny ability to make any contact with them look like it should be called a penalty on the other team.

Not sure what you can do about it, the refs obviously never learn.

- Lowe, 2013

- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831309 is a reply to message #831308 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 March 2024 11:02

Stutzle is a generational penalty drawer, probably only rivalled by Pettersson. Some of these players just have the uncanny ability to make any contact with them look like it should be called a penalty on the other team.

When I think of interference, I think of a play where the puck gets dumped in by a player, the player attempts to skate after it, the puck is no where in sight and the defender gets in his way or hits him. That's interference. The point of a penalty is the penalize a player that is doing something against the rules to try and hurt a player or gain an advantage illegally.

In the rules you are allowed to hit the opposing player to help separate the man from the puck. The puck is supposed to be with the player you hit when the hit occurs. You are typically allowed a minor grace period between when the puck is with the player and when it is gone to finish your check. In the replay. the puck was with the player Vinnie hit when he went to engage the player. As he was finishing the check he started when the puck was on Stutzel's stick, the puck left Stutzel's stick. Vinnie was already committed to the hit when the puck left Stutzel's stick and the time between when the hit occurred and when the puck was gone was at the most 1 second.

So when I see penalties like that, I would love to know what the ref felt Vinnie should do differently because I see that as a play where if Vinnie is playing how the rules are called in the book with contact, and the NHL is a contact league, any sort of contact was completely unavoidable. So if it's unavoidable and you are playing like the rules state, it's not a penalty. It's soooo frustrating because I would bet that if a person watched that game over and just focused on similar plays, you would see that exact thing happen dozens of times with no penalty called.

[Updated on: Mon, 25 March 2024 11:19]

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831310 is a reply to message #831309 ]
Mon, 25 March 2024 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

6 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Mon, 25 March 2024 11:18

Kr55 wrote on Mon, 25 March 2024 11:02

When I think of interference, I think of a play where the puck gets dumped in by a player, the player attempts to skate after it, the puck is no where in sight and the defender gets in his way or hits him. That's interference. The point of a penalty is the penalize a player that is doing something against the rules to try and hurt a player or gain an advantage illegally.

In the rules you are allowed to hit the opposing player to help separate the man from the puck. The puck is supposed to be with the player you hit when the hit occurs. You are typically allowed a minor grace period between when the puck is with the player and when it is gone to finish your check. In the replay. the puck was with the player Vinnie hit when he went to engage the player. As he was finishing the check he started when the puck was on Stutzel's stick, the puck left Stutzel's stick. Vinnie was already committed to the hit when the puck left Stutzel's stick and the time between when the hit occurred and when the puck was gone was at the most 1 second.

So when I see penalties like that, I would love to know what the ref felt Vinnie should do differently because I see that as a play where if Vinnie is playing how the rules are called in the book with contact, and the NHL is a contact league, any sort of contact was completely unavoidable. So if it's unavoidable and you are playing like the rules state, it's not a penalty. It's soooo frustrating because I would bet that if a person watched that game over and just focused on similar plays, you would see that exact thing happen dozens of times with no penalty called.

I thought that at the point where Desharnais makes contact, there is a significant gap between Stutzle and the puck, so it doesn't look like he's separating the player from the puck, rather it looks like he's preventing a player from getting to the puck. I think that there was enough there to call that obstruction interference.

That said, I agree, Stutzle slashes Desharnais with no call, and in the last two games alone there's been at least half a dozen more egregious fouls against the Oilers that were not called. As for the Ekholm call, I don't think he held him at all, he just leaned in to him. I have no idea what the referees saw there, but it was super soft.

Penalty kill and goalie just have to be better though. You can't expect no calls against, and we shouldn't lose a game we dominate that thoroughly simply because we got a couple weak penalty calls.

Re: Review: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69) [message #831325 is a reply to message #831277 ]
Tue, 26 March 2024 15:57 Go to previous message

3 Cups

Hyman was mic'ed up for the last game here is his 50th goal sequence..
Pretty cool.
https://twitter.com/EdmontonOilers/status/177240416698965626 5

McDAVID! Oh YEAH Baby!!
Tic-Tac-Tao!

Previous Topic:Pregame: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Game #70)
Next Topic:GDT: Edmonton @ Ottawa (Game #69)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca