This day on April 27
None

Happy Birthday To: chickenman23, handsmatter94, TashOiler88

F.A.Q. Terms of Use F.A.Q. F.A.Q.
Members Members   Search Search     Register Register   Login Login   Home Home
 Oilers » Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66)
Switch to flat viewSwitch to tree viewCreate a new topicSubmit Reply
 Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831066]
Tue, 19 March 2024 21:30 Go to next message
OilFans  is currently offline OilFans

1 Cup

Final (OT)

Score Prediction
Login To See Your Results
Congratulations to: BOLT862, g2k, Mullet, NCREDiBLE and stemhovlichski for predicting the score.

Edmonton to win:   93%
Montreal to win:   7%
15 entries          View all picks   Leaderboard

Send a private message to this user  

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831067 is a reply to message #831066 ]
Tue, 19 March 2024 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Managed to snooze out that win.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831068 is a reply to message #831066 ]
Tue, 19 March 2024 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

8-1-2 in our last 11 games and it feels like the team has play like dog crud.

Going to need a better effort for Thursday and the weekend. This game was not good.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831069 is a reply to message #831066 ]
Tue, 19 March 2024 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

Keep piling up these messy points. Would like to think it is a sign this team can grind things out and should be good for playoffs. But could also mean we are on a knifes edge and could just get pushed off and beat by a good playoff team.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831075 is a reply to message #831069 ]
Wed, 20 March 2024 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g2k  is currently offline g2k

2 Cups

Kr55 wrote on Tue, 19 March 2024 21:50

Keep piling up these messy points. Would like to think it is a sign this team can grind things out and should be good for playoffs. But could also mean we are on a knifes edge and could just get pushed off and beat by a good playoff team.

This sums up my feelings this morning. My glass is half something, but I can't put my finger on it.

I wonder how this team will match up with a discipline hockey team. You know, a team that is discipline on nights that they don't need to be. You know, a team that plays this way to engrain good habits into their game without even needing to think of it.

This "we got this" riverboat gambling approach against average hockey teams is a bit unsettling. I love 97, but his first touch of the puck last night resulted in an extremely ill advised pass attempt that resulted in a 45 second fire drill in their end. This isn't good messaging at all to start the game. This team needs ONE set of rules for EVERYONE. How can the captain come down on depth player for a stupid play, when he often does it too. You can't, and that's a problem..

#firebob #screwitjustselltheteam #ownerisacreep

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831070 is a reply to message #831066 ]
Tue, 19 March 2024 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NetBOG  is currently offline NetBOG

2 Cups

20 games over is a huge barrier to get past, but the 'Nucks just won't stop winning.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831071 is a reply to message #831070 ]
Tue, 19 March 2024 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kr55  is currently offline Kr55

6 Cups

NetBOG wrote on Tue, 19 March 2024 21:57

20 games over is a huge barrier to get past, but the 'Nucks just won't stop winning.

Paying for that total garbage start to the season now. Canucks have slowed down, but their low is still above average and they gave themselves a huge buffer.

Still very possible to get 1st, but we probably will need to play better than we have.

"We need to get better immediately. That starts today"
- Lowe, 2013

"Next year I would forecast as another developmental year"
- MacT, 2015

5 x $5,000,000

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831072 is a reply to message #831070 ]
Wed, 20 March 2024 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NZ Oiler Fan  is currently offline NZ Oiler Fan

No Cups

NetBOG wrote on Wed, 20 March 2024 00:57

De ja vu back to last year when Vegas just kept winning and we couldn't close the gap on them either.

Ugly game. Bag the two points and get ready for Buffalo on Thursday.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831073 is a reply to message #831072 ]
Wed, 20 March 2024 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tardigrade81  is currently offline tardigrade81

1 Cup

Wasn’t the most satisfying win that’s for sure but I’ll take it

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831074 is a reply to message #831073 ]
Wed, 20 March 2024 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

A bit of an ugly game but they got the 2 points.

Pickard once again plays well and shows people he's a capable back up at least for this year. I am feeling pretty comfortable with him as all he does is give his team chances to win games and even has the stats to back that up.

The PP. It sure looked like they weren't going to get a goal. I personally didn't like the players they had out there on the 4 on 3. I know they say Nuge is a key part of it but when you are only allowed 4 players, I don't have your 46 goal, net front guy on the bench in place of Nuge. With Hyman on the ice, he is in front of the net. That not only makes it harder for the goalie but also makes it so one of the Habs defenders has to concentrate on him which opens up more ice for McD, Leon and Bouch. Having Nuge do his usual on the perimeter thing, along with McD on the boards and Leon in his spot, allows for the Habs to keep their triangle.

Take the 2 points, focus on Buffalo next.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831076 is a reply to message #831074 ]
Wed, 20 March 2024 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HamBlaster  is currently offline HamBlaster

No Cups

Agreed. For large parts of the powerplays they had, and definitely the OT 4 on 3, Montreal's triangle didn't even have to move. The Oil have a tendency to skate around and look for holes... but they don't actively try to MAKE holes in coverage.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831077 is a reply to message #831076 ]
Wed, 20 March 2024 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RDOilerfan  is currently offline RDOilerfan

3 Cups

HamBlaster wrote on Wed, 20 March 2024 12:16

Agreed. For large parts of the powerplays they had, and definitely the OT 4 on 3, Montreal's triangle didn't even have to move. The Oil have a tendency to skate around and look for holes... but they don't actively try to MAKE holes in coverage.

When the second unit came out and Hyman was on it, he almost scored within a few seconds of being out there. At the end of the day, they got it done but I would have swapped Hyman for Nuge on that first unit on the 4 on 3 because he seems to do a lot of good things in front of the net.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831080 is a reply to message #831077 ]
Thu, 21 March 2024 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inverno76  is currently offline inverno76

2 Cups

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 March 2024 12:53

When the second unit came out and Hyman was on it, he almost scored within a few seconds of being out there. At the end of the day, they got it done but I would have swapped Hyman for Nuge on that first unit on the 4 on 3 because he seems to do a lot of good things in front of the net.

It’s extremely hard to argue Hyman. The guy just keeps on getting it done. There is not a PP situation I wouldn’t want him on. He’s a dog on a bone player.

Re: Review: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66) [message #831084 is a reply to message #831080 ]
Thu, 21 March 2024 10:32 Go to previous message
Adam  is currently offline Adam

6 Cups

inverno76 wrote on Thu, 21 March 2024 00:06

RDOilerfan wrote on Wed, 20 March 2024 12:53

It’s extremely hard to argue Hyman. The guy just keeps on getting it done. There is not a PP situation I wouldn’t want him on. He’s a dog on a bone player.

The team has done pretty well with that group over the last couple of years. I have a hard time second guessing that set-up - especially since eventually they scored.

Montreal did take a pretty passive but deep set up and just looked to block everything and keep us outside on the 4-on-3. It worked until it didn't.

Ugly couple of points, but importantly it was still two points. On to the next - hopefully a much better game with another couple points acquired.

"Thinking that a bad team's best players are the reason the team is bad is the "Tambellini re-signing Lennart Petrell" of sports opinions." @Woodguy55
#FireLowe #FireBobbyNicks #FireKenHolland #FireKeithGretzky

Previous Topic:Pregame: Buffalo @ Edmonton (Game #67)
Next Topic:GDT: Montreal @ Edmonton (Game #66)
Oilers NHL Minors Speculation For Sale 

Copyright © OilFans.com 1996-2022.
All content is property of OilFans.com and cannot be used without expressed, written consent from this site.
Questions, comments and suggestions can be directed to oilfans@OilFans.com
Privacy Statement

Hosted by LogicalHosting.ca